The Closer -- Series Finale -- "The Last Word" -- 8/13/12

Old 08-13-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
The Closer -- Series Finale -- "The Last Word" -- 8/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
In the series finale, Brenda leads an investigation that she thinks will finally bring nemesis Philip Stroh to justice, but her obsession with him soon puts her career—and her life—in jeopardy.

Episode 21 of 21

Last episode of the series. Bye Bye Brenda Leigh.

The new EW spoils what happens to Brenda. But, I'm sure most of you who watch the show regularly have figured it out.

Spoiler:
She resigns from the LAPD and takes a new job.
Old 08-14-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: The Closer -- Series Finale -- "The Last Word" -- 8/13/12

I was 4 episodes behind coming into tonight's series finale. Had a crazy ass marathon and finished everything up including tonight's episode. The 2 episodes that really stood out was when her mother died and when Gabriel confronted the leak. There was some great acting by Kyra and Corey in those pivotal episodes.

I have to say it was a very fitting end to the Brenda Leigh Johnson era at the LAPD. This final episode had some really intense moments between and Stroh. Loved her attack in the elevator. That was so unexpected.

I'm glad they did leave it open for Kyra to possibly come back on Major Crimes as a guest star since she's now working for the DA's office. It was great of her to keep Gabriel on as her LAPD liaison.

Very fitting final scene with the team giving her a bag full of ding dongs and her munching on them as it faded to black.
Old 08-14-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very fitting final scene with the team giving her a bag full of ding dongs and her munching on them as it faded to black.
I concur, that was perfect.

All in all, I thought it was a good finale... although I wish she wasn't leaving at all. I am much sadder about this show ending than I thought I would be.

It's funny, looking back I didn't like the pilot very much and almost never watched another episode. I am so glad I stuck it out though, because Brenda really turned into a fantastic character.

Watched this after the new Shark Week episodes, and its harder to say which is to be most feared, Sharkzilla or Brenda after Stroh.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-14-12 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought the final was weak. The show is called "The Closer" she should have outsmarted Stroh and got him to confess, not shoot him dead in the kitchen. I expect that from a show like Criminal Minds. Also, why would the DA office offer her a job after she attacked the suspect in an elevator. Even though we know she did it for the DNA evidence, she essentially got fired for doing that. That wouldn't look good to the public. And what happened to the DA (African American woman)that was with them last week? She was there to make them go by the book. Now this week, the blonde DA is all for planting evidence to fake out the suspect.

Anyway, loved the show throughout the years, but the final was just OK.
Old 08-14-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Strouh isn't dead, he's going to trial and he agreed to confess everything if she didn't kill him. Though Brenda didn't want to hear the confession, she still got it more or less. Besides the actual DA him or herself most people have no idea and don't really care who works in the DA's office so Brenda's history should be a problem. As for last week's DA, given how Brenda treated her, I'm sure the woman was like screw this and didn't come back. Brenda went through quite a few DA's over the years.

I thought the finale was pitch perfect. They kept the door open for both her and Gabriel to drop in from time to time should the need (or ratings) require it. Brenda finally got Strouh which she so richly deserved and it ended with her purse and her chocolate. Between The Closer and Eureka I lost two of my favorite shows but they both went out in style.
Old 08-14-12, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I thought the finale was pitch perfect. They kept the door open for both her and Gabriel to drop in from time to time should the need (or ratings) require it. Brenda finally got Strouh which she so richly deserved and it ended with her purse and her chocolate. Between The Closer and Eureka I lost two of my favorite shows but they both went out in style.
Totally agree.
Old 08-15-12, 02:38 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

A great finale to a great show.