Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it rude to adjust people's TVs when they have them set wrong?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Discuss.
Old 08-11-12, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is it rude to adjust people's TVs when they have them set wrong?

No, I'm sure some people would welcome it. But it is a personal preference, and perhaps best to ask permission first. Also, writing down what the previous settings were would be helpful if they want to get "their" picture back in case they thought it looked good, in their opinion.
Old 08-11-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you ever known someone that "knows" how audio and/or video settings should be and either mess with your radio/stereo/tv, even when they didn't bother to ask, you just kind of find out one day that they did it? Do you want to be that guy?

On the other hand, if you're really that anal about someone else's settings, at least ask first. If you do offer, you better be using some calibration disc.
Old 08-11-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it's rude unless asked. Most folks don't know good picture settings from bad anyway or simply don't care. I knew a guy who's TV tube was set horribly and that I privately dubbed "red vision." On the other hand, I was at another friend's house who got a new TV that came preset with the motion blur thingy set to high creating that awful artificial live look. I asked them if they were aware of the setting and they said no. Then I asked them if they'd like to see it with it off and they preferred it off. I was as delicate as I could be and it was a win. Still felt like a rude cuss for bringing it up though.
Old 08-12-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not when they are in the bathroom.
Old 08-12-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pizza is largely correct. If they're friends, I'd ask them politely if I could change the settings to see if they preferred the difference, and if not, I'd change it back. Simple.
Old 08-12-12, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Pizza said.
Old 08-12-12, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just change the settings. Fuck em. If they're too stupid to set their TVs correctly, they won't know you changed anything. And if they do notice, just tell them you are superior and that they can go to Hell. Then charge them $20 to change it back.
Old 08-12-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yes, it is rude to fuck with anyone's settings. Don't do it without permission.
Old 08-12-12, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup. I first say something like, "What's wrong with your screen?" if something is wrong.
Old 08-12-12, 11:30 AM

Adjusted wrong according to who? You? Why is your opinion on adjustments better than their's? Maybe it's adjusted perfectly for their eyesight. Everyone sees things differently. You're only visiting. They watch it all the time. How would you like it if they came to your house and adjusted your set to their liking?

Don't ever adjust anyone's set, even if they say it's ok. Chances are they were being nice, and as soon as you leave, they have to go through the hassle of trying to set it back to the way they like it. Just don't even ask to start with. I can't believe anyone would even consider such a thing!

Now, if they say to you, "we think the picture looks better on your tv than on ours, so would you please double check our settings", is a whole nuther story. That way, they know something is wrong and want it fixed. Or, during conversations, ask them if they're happy with their tv and surround system (if they have one). That way you're not telling them that you think their picture sucks, which is exactly what you're saying, even if you don't use those exact words. If they say they aren't real happy with it, ask them why. If they say they aren't happy with the picture, then tell them that you might be able to help.

So yes, it's extremely rude to even ask if it's ok to adjust. They should say something first. People's tastes are different. Some like darkness, and some like light. Some like Coke, and some like Pepsi (me). Some like plaids and some like stripes. There's no accounting for tastes.............
Old 08-12-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to adjust my next-door neighbor's TV to be in my living room.
Old 08-12-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, unless you are there specifically to fix it or are asked to or offer to and they accept. Anything other than that and it is a hand cut offable offense.
Old 08-12-12, 05:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If you consider yourself to be adept at fine tuning adjustments, if their TV settings are obviously out of whack, I don't see any harm in asking them if they've ever adjusted the settings on their TV set since they purchased it. If they say No, then ask them if they would like to have the settings adjusted so the picture and sound would be more lifelike. If they say No, then be adult enough to say 'No problem'. If they say yes, then have at it. Just don't be offended if they don't like your adjustments and ask you to change them back. You never know about some people. -kd5-
Old 08-12-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I do it all the time. It bugs the shit out of me if someones settings are off. I actually re-wired my ex-gfs fathers' setup bc he was using RCA cables to his surround sound receiver from his cable box. If it's rude I dont really care. People shouldnt be so stupid as to spend thousands on equipment and set it up incorrectly. My brother refuses to shut off the motion smoothing setting on his Panny plasma so every once in awhile I shut it off when he's not around.
Old 08-13-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emoxley
Adjusted wrong according to who? You? Why is your opinion on adjustments better than their's? Maybe it's adjusted perfectly for their eyesight. Everyone sees things differently. You're only visiting. They watch it all the time. How would you like it if they came to your house and adjusted your set to their liking?

Don't ever adjust anyone's set, even if they say it's ok. Chances are they were being nice, and as soon as you leave, they have to go through the hassle of trying to set it back to the way they like it. Just don't even ask to start with. I can't believe anyone would even consider such a thing!
I know zero people other than myself and my former-AV-installer brother (and people online, but I don't actually "know" anyone) that have ever meaningfully attempted to adjust their TVs. And I had to explain to him how to do it.

Wait, I have a coworker that is also a pro installer with a 120" screen in his custom-designed theater. Forgot him. Ok, that's 3 of us.
Old 08-13-12, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Friends don't let friends use vivid.
Old 08-13-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

One of the reasons I posted this question was that the attitude of many people seems to be: "Oh, I really don't notice/care about picture quality at all- but for god's sake don't set it the RIGHT way!"

And there is only ONE proper picture setting.
Old 08-13-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It is an abomination before the eyes of God and man to have HT gear set up incorrectly. I see it as a moral imperative to ensure that all content is experienced with the best audio and video settings available to any set-up.
Old 08-13-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I won't do anything without asking, and for the most part, I will only bring it up if I see something that is obviously wrong, like a zoomed or stretched screen. Sometimes they were aware of the problem but didn't know how to fix it (I've found many Time Warner installers like to install the boxes with Zoom enabled), and there have been other times when they were very aware of it because they put it like that on purpose. You can explain what it does the picture, but they don't care. Then I just let them have it their way. I offered some help, and if they don't want it, it's their TV.
Old 08-13-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I think it's ok to ask-nothing wrong with that, but if they don't want it or want it changed back--well, it's their tv and money they spent for a poor picture. My bro-in-law and sis, well, any family member that uses the computer here, changes my computer settings and it drives me nuts because not only do they not ask, but they don't fix what they change. I find that rude! I wouldn't be too troubled with the non asking, but they don't return it to what is obviously the preferred settings.
Old 08-13-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

I usually am asked to do it by close friends and family, also they ask me to hook up their tv and sound equipment because I'm the tv and sound guy.

Sometimes I just ask why does their image on tv look so bad and I explain to them about the torch mode thing and they let me adjust it.

I have turned off that motion Soap opera effect thingonce when soemone left the room.
Old 08-14-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LJG765
I think it's ok to ask-nothing wrong with that, but if they don't want it or want it changed back--well, it's their tv and money they spent for a poor picture. My bro-in-law and sis, well, any family member that uses the computer here, changes my computer settings and it drives me nuts because not only do they not ask, but they don't fix what they change. I find that rude! I wouldn't be too troubled with the non asking, but they don't return it to what is obviously the preferred settings.
Set up guest access. I do that in my house. 2 main computers, each has at least 2 logins.
Old 08-14-12, 11:00 PM

OP, you're welcomed at my house anytime, I'll provide the beer.
Old 08-15-12, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I am not pushy enough to mess with anyone's setting unless asked which would likely never happen because a lot of people would be clueless that these people should not be that short. I doubt I will understand buying an amazing television, playing a low def pan and scan movie and then stretching it out......*sigh*

Now I have cleaned a relatives tv and computer screen because it looked like they ate dinner on it, good grief how did they not notice that.

Now when I saw another television I was surprised how horrible the picture looked, bad connection and format. I did not say anything as the person watching did not have the best of eye sight and likely never noticed or really cared, just something to keep them entertained and nothing all that serious either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.