Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

RCE sucks???!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-01, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a sony m-35 multi region dvd player but I an experiencing problems playing some region 1 discs due to this regional coding enhancement, do you know how to get around this? PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 01-19-01, 05:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You are ****ed. No way around it, except changing it back to region 1 or 2 only.

Some newer mods alow you to choose what region you want.
Old 01-21-01, 06:39 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Matt Stevens:
You are ****ed. No way around it, except changing it back to region 1 or 2 only.

Some newer mods alow you to choose what region you want.
<HR>

Not entirely true Matt.

I have a Toshiba 2108 with region free mod which can't handle RCE encoded discs (found this out when attempting to play Thomas and the Magic Railroad for my son) - it would get as far as a region map and then play no more.

I did however find a way around this dilemna. I can't guarantee that this will work for the Sony player, but this is what I did:

1. As soon as the disc has started loading press Stop on your remote ( I am assuming that pressing Stop once on the Sony acts like a pause function as well)

2. If you have a go to Time function on the Sony (on the Toshiba there is a "T" button) use this to go to a point one second into the film (set it to 0:00:01)

3. Press Play and hey presto... your movie is up and running.

4. To change subtitles, audio etc, use the Audio and Subtitles buttons on the remote - thatis, do it on the fly

On the surface, this looks like an inconvenience, but when you consider the time it takes to boot up to the menu and make your selections on a regular disc, it is actually a bit quicker if you are only interested in viewing the film itself.

To get to extras etc, you will need to play around with chapter stops/tracks using the go to functions under the memory setting on your players remote (I am sure I noticed a post on that in the DVDTalk forum somewhere late last week - so do a search).

Stephen, I hope that this in some way helps,

regards, Tim...
Old 01-22-01, 03:36 AM
Lim

Hi Steven

I think you should be OK, as you are in the UK. If you do a search on RCE, a few UK sites offer RCE upgrades.

Hardtack, the tricks do not work on Sony DVD. I have a Sony K330 (original region 3) and it played all region 1 disk without problem, except The Patriot and Hollow Man, i.e. RCE disk. I am located at region 3, and I am still looking for RCE hack in this region.

Old 02-02-01, 05:13 AM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have a list of these RCE coded movies? I just got the Hollow Man and had some difficulties playing it on my Sony DVPS 335 (chip-replaced, originally R2) player. Actually it worked but was somewhat inconvenient. The trick was (and it may also work on other multiregion Sony players as well): insert disk, push play (the map stuff comes) than push Disc Menu, select what you want, push play/enter again (same map comes) and than push the Disc Menu once again. Whatever you selected will get launched. Audio/sub can be changed on the run.

So, anybody having a list of these titles?
Old 02-02-01, 05:29 AM

I have Sony 525 and Didn't find any workaround yet.

Regarding the List, any thing from Columbia/Tristar Studios after November 2000 is RCE. This includes: The Patriot, Perfect Storm, Hollow Man, The 6th Day and whatever else from this studio.

If you find any workaround, please let me know
Old 02-02-01, 07:34 AM
Cool New Member

Gladiator:

Try the "Disc menu" button on the remote (as detailed in my prev. note). Your player should not be much different than the small 335.

Thx for the titles
Old 02-06-01, 07:42 AM

Hiya all,

I'm new to this game but recently got a Wintel regionless DVD Player that won't accept The Patriot...but played Perfect Storm fine. Is that due to this REC (What does that stand for - Region Enhancement Coding or something like that??) Can someone please tell me if there is any way around this cheaply because I'm pretty p...ed off about buying a multizone DVD Player that advertises itself as capable of playing any DVD's and then encountering this problem with The Patriot after hiring it twice from the video shop!!!(Thinking the disc was scratched or something). Can someone help me or am I doomed never to see The Patriot......please don't tell me that...

Regards,

Garry K

[This message has been edited by OzDVDMan (edited February 06, 2001).]
Old 02-06-01, 07:55 AM
Cool New Member

Garry,

Try the tricks above. No garantee though that they'd work. I guess this new coding is a kinda surprize for our "multiregion" players making it even harder to get hold of good movies on reasonable price. If these dont work, I guess, no other way. Good luck...
Old 02-06-01, 04:12 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by OzDVDMan:
...I'm pretty p...ed off about buying a multizone DVD Player that advertises itself as capable of playing any DVD's and then encountering this problem with The Patriot after hiring it twice from the video shop!!!(Thinking the disc was scratched or something). Can someone help me or am I doomed never to see The Patriot......please don't tell me that...

<HR>

Garry,

If you are encountering RCE encoding you will find that a map explaining the various regions the DVD world is divided into will be displayed and your player will be unable to progress beyond that point.

Your problem however, appears to be something else as you say that you have been unable to play the copy of The Patriot you hired from your video rental store. To the best of my (albeit limited) knowledge, there is no use of RCE anywhere except the USA and certainly not yet in Australia - so unless your rental shop is illegally renting out Region 1 DVDs, I would be recommending you look at the player itself for the source of the problem (never heard of Wintel by the way).

Maybe the vendor you bought it from can shed some light on the problem for you or provide a more complete region free mod?

Hope this helps, Tim...

Old 02-07-01, 07:43 AM

Thanks Tim and Sandor for your advice,

I'm going back to the suppliers now to find out more. Tim I never saw the map of the world at all. The main menu wouldn't start up and kept opening on special features then when you tried to play the movie an explosion sequence would start up (film introduction) but then it would revert back to the special features menu. Did it with two seperate discs I tried which were Region 4 (our area). I have written to Columbia Tristar whom have suggested my DVD player is outside their spec's that they set for the DVD and that is why it is not working. I don't know whether they were meaning REC or not...Thanks again for your help and I will get to the bottom of this...

Regards,

Garry
Old 02-12-01, 08:11 PM

Hi Garry,
I may be way off, but I had the same problem with a dvd I got. It turned out it was because of the way it was manufactured if you held it up to the light you could see through it!! I dont know if there is a name for this type of DVD(apart from crazy, that is!). Hope that helps
Old 02-19-01, 07:26 PM

Solved

Being a DVD "chipper" I want to stop all rumours about RCE's There are only 2 of present, these are : Patriot and Hollow Man. Perfect Storm is not because it is Time Warner. Hollow and Patriot are Columbia Tristar and is the ONLY studio which has taken RCE's on board, so expect their next biggie to be affected. ALL Toshiba players have a handset hack to allow you to watch the movie. This is: Insert disc, wait for map, when appears push: Memory, 01 , enter. Sony's: Depends which chip you have. If you have a chip that allows you to select regions via the handset, your fine. If you don't, it depends on what machine you have to what path to take. Most need to be HARDWARE chipped not SOFTWARE to cure the problem. What the problem is, some companys, chip your machine using a computer patch, all it does is switch the region from 2 to 0 to allow it to play all discs. This costs nothing and a lot of people are charging up to 65 quid for it, so find out wheather its hard or software chipped. leave software, because it needs to change to region 1 to play RCE's and only hardware chips do this in most cases. The problem in RCE's is that the disc is designed to work ONLY on region 1 and can recognize when you are trying to fool it into thinking its a region 1 machine and refuse to play. You need a machine that will tell the disc and fool it into thinking its a region 1 machine. Hope thats cleared that up for you. If you have a player that gets stuck on RCE's and want to know if theres a manual patch for it, E-mail me @ [email protected] and i will E-mail you one back if i have it. There is a solution for most so please don't hesitate to contact. I've put a lot of work into this for you guys and there is not much i don't know about DVD's, so all replys are gratefully apriciated,
many thanks,

Gary Tahmasbi,
Hughes Electrical
Old 02-19-01, 08:27 PM

Correction

Originally posted by boris the blade
Being a DVD "chipper" I want to stop all rumours about RCE's There are only 2 of present, these are : Patriot and Hollow Man...

Gary Tahmasbi,
Hughes Electrical
You had better add Thomas and the Magic Railroad to your list of currently RCE encoded DVDs (some of us are parents you know )

regards, Tim...
Old 02-20-01, 07:53 AM

Success

Hiya everyone,

Just thought I would let u all know I watched Patriot last week and it was great...I got onto the manufacturer and they guided me through the process of manually changing the regions (Very nice of them)...There is no way though you would get it without inside knowledge and it sure isn't in the instruction manual. I had to go through a series of meaningless keyprompts to bring it up on screen. U can then
also access the titles in the DVD itself and select which area you want to play as well as going via the normal menu. Each trailer, special feature, etc is a separate title much like a CD seperates songs...
Just for your info although I'm sure many of you know the system as explained by Garry but can't do anything about it. I got lucky for $499 (Aust pathetic dollars).

Regards,

Reformed DVD Enthusiast but the system still sucks......
Old 02-21-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if the HK movies Gorgeous and Miracles (both distributed by Columbia Tri-Star during the 2nd half of 2000) are RCE? Is there a way to tell without having to play the movie in a code-free machine?
Old 02-21-01, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
Anyone know if the HK movies Gorgeous and Miracles (both distributed by Columbia Tri-Star during the 2nd half of 2000) are RCE? Is there a way to tell without having to play the movie in a code-free machine?
I would suggest that unless they are Region 1 titles they will not have RCE encoding... and there is a good chance that even if they are Region 1 they will still not have RCE encoding as they are not major Hollyweird films.

My Region 3 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a Columbia Tri-Star release and does not have RCE (if any title outside the USA was going to have it, that would be the one), and my Region 1 Kikujiro and Shower releases (both from Columbia Tri-Star) are also RCE free... and they were released after both The Patriot and Thomas and the Magic Railroad.

Hope this helps set your mind at ease.

regards, Tim...

PS... just noticed you said they were released in the second half of 2000. Well, The Patriot was the first title to employ RCE, so unless they were released after that, then they most definitely would not be RCE encoded.

[Edited by hardtack on 02-21-01 at 06:36 PM]
Old 02-21-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hardtack
Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
I would suggest that unless they are Region 1 titles they will not have RCE encoding... and there is a good chance that even if they are Region 1 they will still not have RCE encoding as they are not major Hollyweird films.

PS... just noticed you said they were released in the second half of 2000. Well, The Patriot was the first title to employ RCE, so unless they were released after that, then they most definitely would not be RCE encoded.

The reason I ask is that both titles play right thru on my codefree machine, but I'm not sure if it's because there's no RCE, or if my machine ignores the RCE and plays it thru. I'm going to assume that it's not RCE. My DVD player is autoregion, with no manual controls that I know about (Sony).