Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commericals you never see anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Commericals you never see anymore

It occured to me today I can't remember the last time I saw a commerical for denture cleaners. Seems to me when I was a kid they were on all the time. They'd drop two white fizzy tablets into a glass of water and lower some dentures. There's be a big close up as they pried the "teeth" apart to show how well they insides were cleaned.

Do these things still air? Am I just missing them?

What happened? Is there no market for denture cleaners now? Do people take better care of their teeth these days?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUHkz75_6ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-10-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Commericals you never see anymore

You must not look at network tv, they are there too much of the time.
Old 08-10-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The denture cleaner commercials were always on during daytime game shows and soaps. Last time I watched daytime TV they were on.
Old 08-11-12, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Exactly. The OP's childhood probably included daytime game shows.
Old 08-11-12, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones I rarely see anymore are toy commercials. Then again, maybe I'm just not watching enough Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.
Old 08-11-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Rolaids and Tums.

I guess they disappeared to make way for acid reflux pills.
Old 08-11-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Interesting to know these commericals are still on, but I certainly don't see them.

This observation was spurred when I was going through my old VHS tapes. During Seinfeld and Fraiser there were denture cleaner commericals constantly.
Old 08-11-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
The ones I rarely see anymore are toy commercials. Then again, maybe I'm just not watching enough Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.
Toy commercials seem different these days. A lot of them are for pillow pets and their progeny.
Old 08-11-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Rolaids and Tums.

I guess they disappeared to make way for acid reflux pills.
Tums ads are still around. Rolaids got recalled in early 2011 and they still haven't returned to store shelves, so it's possible they'll never return.

Toy ads changed greatly, along with ads for kids cereals after the backlash against advertising directly to children. That's why shows like Transformers and G.I. Joe went away. All those great shows we grew up with were of course big advertisements for their toy lines, mixed with ads for other toys and sugary cereals.

Nowadays the only kids stuff is on cable, or has to be educational (e/i certification).

As for why stuff like denture ads went away, advertisers became focused on the 18-49 year olds, and the price for prime time ads made less sense to advertise products for old people (dentures, Metamucil, etc.) Old people are easier to reach on TV than younger ones, so those ads have moved to daytime TV.

Of course, maybe dental implants have led to fewer people getting dentures, and that plays into things as well.
Old 08-11-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been years since I have seen commercials for sex talk lines and psychic hotlines.

Do they still have commercials for Girls gone wild?
Old 08-11-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You must not stay up later than 1am. Those are still alive and well.
Old 08-11-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

10-10-220 and other interexchange carrier commercials seem to be a thing of the past.
Old 08-11-12, 03:52 PM
Banned

My favourite commercials you never see any more are the Christmas Folgers commercial where the kid named Peter comes home and wakes everyone up making coffee. Another is the ad where Santa is riding the norelco razor through the snow.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zsieIGFnbYI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/718DpmQrPbg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-11-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
10-10-220 and other interexchange carrier commercials seem to be a thing of the past.
That's because they don't exist anymore.

The late night party lines haven't gone anywhere. I always see them during Seinfeld and Family Guy on our local Fox affiliate after midnight.
Old 08-12-12, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I see those phone sex commercials like Livelinks all the time late at night. They're alive and well.
Old 08-12-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Thank God! Those things were turning into an epidemic. I was starting to think the government would have to send in the National Guard to save us from those commericals!

I haven't seen desktop computer commercials in a while. They had the "Dude, you're getting a Dell." guy then the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" clowns but I haven't seen anything else in a couple of years.
Old 08-12-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Thank God! Those things were turning into an epidemic. I was starting to think the government would have to send in the National Guard to save us from those commericals!

I haven't seen desktop computer commercials in a while. They had the "Dude, you're getting a Dell." guy then the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" clowns but I haven't seen anything else in a couple of years.
I see a lot of Microsoft and Apple commercials... especially Microsoft is running a lot of Microsoft Store commercials due to just opening their first store in Austin.

Actual PC manufacturers... never see 'em. And this is Dell Town USA.
Old 08-12-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
That's because they don't exist anymore.

The late night party lines haven't gone anywhere. I always see them during Seinfeld and Family Guy on our local Fox affiliate after midnight.
10-10-321 and 10-10-220 still technically exist, but with most everyone having unlimited free long distance, there's no reason to advertise them anymore. That, and the rates are now almost as bad as the long distance carrier you already have.
Old 08-12-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9BBqgMQluDM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i77sVmORreI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJAZ8io_AcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FkY2hRCb0PQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-12-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y1oGTXjS350" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-12-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Horror movie commercials. Maybe they don't make em' like they used to (the films) but damn did I get terrifyed by Halloween, Gates of Hell, and the like back in the early 80's.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ezkx07HYylo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-12-12, 05:22 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

In the four commercials Dr. Mabuse posted, I love how the Chuck Wagon dog food commercial blatantly only refers to the meat as "chunks" over and over, while the Ken-L Ration dog food says it's horsemeat right there on the screen!

As for the other two, fascinating misogyny in the Folgers commercial and the parents get their burgers their way and the kids can just frickin' deal with it. We get what we want, you get what you get. Oh, you wanted a kid's meal? Not just a burger with a bunch of stuff you don't want on it and a drink for the same price as a kid's meal with fries and a toy? TOO BAD.
Old 08-12-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Certs - With Retsin.
Old 08-12-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Horror movie commercials. Maybe they don't make em' like they used to (the films) but damn did I get terrifyed by Halloween, Gates of Hell, and the like back in the early 80's.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ezkx07HYylo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I remember a couple years ago Universal Orlando were running a lot of tv ads for Halloween Horror Nights, some ads were pretty scary but fun. Hope they have lots of good ads this year.

Forgot about the 1-800-COLLECT ads. Good riddance!
Old 08-12-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Encyclopedia Britannica commercials, Lincoln Tech commercials (didn't see these much anyway) and those Sally Struthers ones where she talks about getting an education and finishes with "or get your degree. Call 1-800...."

Oh and those CD/music collections on sale via 1-800 dial ins, where the titles are scrolled by in white and yellow font and the yellow font ones are the songs currently playing. Maybe they still show these during the day or something, I dunno.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.