Alphas -- "Alpha Dogs" -- 8/06/12

Old 08-06-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Alphas -- "Alpha Dogs" -- 8/06/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Harken and Hicks find a fight club for Alphas; Rosen traces Stanton Parish's past back to 1864.

Episode 3 of 13

Good 2nd season so far. Gary was hilarious last week.
Old 08-07-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts
Re: Alphas -- "Alpha Dogs" -- 8/06/12

Looks like we've got a new team member? I like her ability: absorbing new information easily at the cost of long-term memories. She had good chemistry with Bill, hopefully she fits with the rest of the cast as well.

Actually, two new team members if you count the non-Alpha tactical guy. He seemed alright, but I wonder if he'll last.
Old 08-07-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New girl seems like a good actress. I think she will make things more interesting.
Old 08-07-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Looks like we've got a new team member? I like her ability: absorbing new information easily at the cost of long-term memories. She had good chemistry with Bill, hopefully she fits with the rest of the cast as well.

Actually, two new team members if you count the non-Alpha tactical guy. He seemed alright, but I wonder if he'll last.

I already like her more than Nina.
Old 08-07-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting that Kat was wearing an old style Rouge hoodie.
Old 08-08-12, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the new girl too. Does she also have the ability to bring out the abilities of others? It appeared that she could help others get control over their abilities.

We shall see...
Old 08-08-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Maybe she's an Alpha Whisperer.
Old 08-08-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Holydoc
I like the new girl too. Does she also have the ability to bring out the abilities of others? It appeared that she could help others get control over their abilities.

We shall see...
Before Bill came to her apartment it looked like she was studying fighting technique and psychology/physiology in order to help him. I would imagine she could do the same for anyone else who was having problems.
Old 08-09-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked this episode a lot. The show is best when it goes a bit dark. They still have problems writing non-central stories and dialog. The Gary part seem wedged into the episode. It's the same problem that plagues Warehouse 13. Splitting up the cast into groups and one works and the other(s) don't, so you end up with half of a good episode. This episode avoided that by focusing more on one group of characters and only small parts for the others.
Old 08-09-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
I liked this episode a lot. The show is best when it goes a bit dark. They still have problems writing non-central stories and dialog. The Gary part seem wedged into the episode.
It wouldn't surprise me if the B-team of writers are handling the secondary elements in an episode.
Old 08-11-12, 01:26 PM

Pretty good episode overall. I like the two additions to the cast. One thing I thought was weird though was that even though Bill's ability makes him super strong and fast, Hicks, with his physical ability, would make a more natural and better fighter. Oh well.
Old 08-11-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who would win, Hulk or Thing? Would Thor's hammer penetrate Sue Richards' (Invisible Woman of the Fantastic Four) force field? Would Vision be able to increase his density so much that not even Hulk could move him? Ever since I can remember, kids were debating these things about comic book characters. I came to the conclusion early on there's usually no right on wrong answer. I think Stan Lee and his gang wanted to make it that anybody could win, it just depended on the situation. If Batman pushed Superman into a boulder of Kryptonite, Batman wins.

Who would make the better fighter? MMA fans debate that all the time. I love watching a guy with technique, but Brock Lesnar became UFC Heavyweight champion by essentially bowling over/overpowering smaller guys who had much better dexterity and techinque (Randy Couture, Frank Mir). So who'd win between Bill and Hicks? Depends what story the writers want to tell at any given moment.
Old 08-12-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

They are not using the full application of Hicks' power by any stretch. It's been covered before in comics much more imaginatively. He should be an expert with both knives and throwing stars with his ability, not to mention arrows.