Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Sony Choice Collection Titles on Sale at DD

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-03-12, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deep Discount is currently holding a sale on Sony Choice Collection MOD titles. There are about 250 titles in the sale. Single disk titles vary from about $12.60 to 12.80, and a handful of TV series are higher.

These titles very rarely go on sale anywhere, so this is about the best price you're likely to find for them. The Warner Archive runs a lot of sales but they usually don't include the Sony titles, which they sell for about $18 apiece.

The sale runs through 9/30. As usual for DD, there's free shipping for an order over $15.
Old 08-03-12, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Sony Choice Collection Titles on Sale at DD

Warner has included the Sony and MGM titles in certain sales in the past- but the lowest price after the discount has been $15 +tax, so this is a good deal for these and the best deal on them I've seen outside of using one of those $5 promotional coupons they've sent out in the past.

Too bad the MGMs aren't on sale as well.

my mistake. In researching some titles to get I ran across posts from early 2011 when DD was running another sale on these. The price was about $.40 cheaper then. Still a good deal here though.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 08-03-12 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even know these existed. I got an email yesterday and I looked through the list not expecting to find anything. I ended up buying The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial and Sister Mary (Ignatius) Explains It All (for You). The former I had seen on TV years ago and remember it being very good. The latter I had seen on stage many years ago and I loved it. I knew about the movie but I never thought I'd get to see it. I had read it was shown on Showtime once and then scuttled because the Catholic League nutcase Bill Donohue had thrown one of his thousands of fits over it. I don't know if that's true but I have never seen it surface.
Old 08-03-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

For the link challenged, it's on the image below or here.

Runs for 2 *months*. That's pretty long for DD.
Old 08-03-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lucy Collection v1 sounds tempting. 4 movies averaging $7.70 each...

Everything I've looked at says Newly Remastered, even Mr. Sunshine which aired last year. Newly remastered? Doubt it...
Old 08-03-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone is considering buying Obsession, I would advise spending a few more dollars and getting the UK Arrow blu-ray of the movie (assuming you have a region-free blu-ray player), which has been well reviewed for video and audio quality.

I have kept my eye on these for a while (mid 2010 or so) and I believe they have only ever been on sale from DD. With Image and Mill Creek (and Twilight Time) licensing lots of titles from the Sony back catalog, I would not be surprised at all to see the ones I am most interested in showing up on blu. Maybe I'll buy them on MOD DVD now just to guarantee it

The are:

Who's Minding the Mint?
Housekeeping
Neighbors

... and maybe a few others.

I bought all of these in 2010:

Mickey One
The Pumpkin Eater
Five Finger Exercise
The Mind of Mr. Soames
Valley of the Dragons
Screaming Mimi

A/V quality on all of these has been very nice IMO.
Old 08-03-12, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
For the link challenged, it's on the image below or here.

Runs for 2 *months*. That's pretty long for DD.
I guess DD was confused. John Wayne was not in Ghengis Kahn. He played that character in The Conqueror, which is on a Universal pressed collection.
Old 08-03-12, 09:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
If anyone is considering buying Obsession, I would advise spending a few more dollars and getting the UK Arrow blu-ray of the movie (assuming you have a region-free blu-ray player), which has been well reviewed for video and audio quality.
You're right about Obsession. It's a great transfer with really good extras, and it's coded for region A, B and C.

One movie I would advise against is "It's My Turn" (Jill Clayburgh, Michael Douglas). I love Jill Clayburgh and I've been waiting forever for this to get released, but the transfer is screwed up. The picture is squished horizontally. It's not drastic, but it is noticeable. Something was set wrong when they encoded it. I played email tag with Sony for a month explaining the problem, seeing if they could fix the problem... I got nowhere.
Old 08-03-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The main on my list @ the moment are legend of Billie Jean & the 2 new Forbidden Hollywood sets. Not sure if I'm going to buy anything until I find a new job though.
Old 08-04-12, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank

One movie I would advise against is "It's My Turn" (Jill Clayburgh, Michael Douglas). I love Jill Clayburgh and I've been waiting forever for this to get released, but the transfer is screwed up. The picture is squished horizontally. It's not drastic, but it is noticeable. Something was set wrong when they encoded it. I played email tag with Sony for a month explaining the problem, seeing if they could fix the problem... I got nowhere.
Thanks for the heads up- that was one of the titles I was planning to get.
Nightwing also has some odd stuff going on. I'm not sure if it is improperly flagged, causing interlaced trails to appear every so often, or if that artifact is somehow baked into the master- because it was consistent on two different types of players.
Old 08-04-12, 07:35 AM

Thanks, OP. Picked up Ghost Story/Circle of Fear for $31.21. I've been waiting patiently for the price to go down.
Old 08-04-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I waited months for a price reduction for this and it held steady for a long time. I finally got it in June with a bunch of other blus so the average price of them all didn't seem so high. Now it's at its lowest price ever, £10.17 (minus VAT in the US, plus shipping), and is a better bargain.
Old 08-08-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I waited months for a price reduction for this and it held steady for a long time. I finally got it in June with a bunch of other blus so the average price of them all didn't seem so high. Now it's at its lowest price ever, £10.17 (minus VAT in the US, plus shipping), and is a better bargain.
I waited seemingly forever, as well, but I recently found out it's been £8.45 with £0.99 shipping on thehut.com and zavvi.com for a while.
Old 08-08-12, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dullboy
I waited seemingly forever, as well, but I recently found out it's been £8.45 with £0.99 shipping on thehut.com and zavvi.com for a while.
Great price. Next time start a thread when you find a deal like that, I might've saved some money.
Old 08-08-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Great price. Next time start a thread when you find a deal like that, I might've saved some money.
Sorry.

FYI, (and off topic) there were a few other Arrow blus up there that were at nice prices. I also picked up House by the Cemetery Limited Edition and The Exterminator for £9.45 each.
Old 08-09-12, 12:06 AM

I got my Ghost Story DVD set in the mail today. Great price---but, I've forgotten how cheap DD's mailers are. My DVD was basically shrink-wrapped in a plastic envelope with no bubble wrap or cushioning whatsoever. It's amazing the plastic case wasn't chipped or cracked upon arrival.
Old 08-13-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess now would be the time to pull the trigger on the Lost Horizon (1973) disc; even though I'm morally opposed to the whole dvd-r thing, but I love this film.
Old 08-14-12, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

depending on how much you love it, wait for the (expensive) TT blu ray?
Old 08-15-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
depending on how much you love it, wait for the (expensive) TT blu ray?
Yes, just found out about this release! I will definitely hold out and happily overpay for a stacked blu ray!
Old 08-16-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
Yes, just found out about this release! I will definitely hold out and happily overpay for a stacked blu ray!
Keep in mind that Twilight Time usually offer only the isolated score and not much else in the way of extras on their releases.

By the way, does anyone know how to get a DVDAfficionado query to work for listing all of the Sony DVD-R titles? I can't get anything to work
Old 08-18-12, 01:19 AM

DVDPlanet is cheaper on these right now.

I bought a stack of these titles from DVDPlanet, and they are all around 30 cents cheaper than DD. I've seen them do this a lot in the past few months...price just a little less than DD on some of these more obscure and esoteric titles. Plus, DVDPlanet gives you points off your next purchase. I've been through with DD since their last useless coupon sale in June.