Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No subtitles for J.C.Superstar

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No subtitles for J.C.Superstar

For years I have been trying to buy a DVD of the 1973 Jewison version of Jesus Christ Superstar but can't seem to find a copy anywhere with subtitles.
I love to sing along with the lyrics! I'm in the UK and the DVD I've just bought claims subtitles and you click them on at the start - but they're not there!
Does anybody have an answer to my problem? Thanks
Old 08-02-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: No subtitles for J.C.Superstar

Are you trying to enable them with the subtitles button on the remote or through the setup menu?
Old 08-02-12, 01:00 PM

Hi Disc-Flipper
Thanks so much for responding so promptly.
I am using the set up menu and the sections 'light up' when pressed as if it's working.
When I now look at the sleeve it actually says Subtitle Tracks English SDH.
I'm wondering if that means the special features commentary with Jewison and interview with Tim Rice are all that's in subtitles? I must check it.
But if so - is there any DVD of this film in existence WITH subtitles for the songs?
And how could I find out? I've Googled the question but can get nowhere.
I don't mind buying another DVD if I can be sure the subtitles are on there.
Old 08-02-12, 01:37 PM

Traditionally if a DVD advertises subtitles, they refer to the main feature and not the bonus features. I've found frequently that I have to cycle through the subtitles while the movie is playing in order to view them rather than trying to invoke them from a DVD menu. I just press the subtitle button on the remote while the feature plays.
Old 08-02-12, 01:46 PM

Thanks mdnitoil. I will now do as you suggest and press the remote's subtitle button to see if that works.
Incidentally I have just had a reply from Amazon.co.uk who write:

"From your e-mail, I understand that you have having problem setting up and locating the subtitle.

I haven't been able to find the subtitles information on the following DVD: Jesus Christ Superstar [DVD]

To properly check on Subtitle inquiry, we’ll need to carry out a physical check of the item in our Fulfilment Centre.

I’ve requested that someone from our Fulfilment Team checks our inventory of Jesus Christ Superstar [DVD].

We’ll get back to you within 2 business days with an update on this."

I must say I'm impressed with Amazon for taking the trouble to check on this - full marks to them and the good folk on here trying to help.
Old 08-02-12, 02:01 PM

Hi again Mdnitoil
I have tried to press the remote's subtitle button but sad to say there isn't a button!
It's a Sharp VCR/DVD Recorder Combination and there definitely is no subtitle button.
I have one on the Humax recorder I use and that works for TV progs along with one on the TV remote itself.
But they don't operate the Sharp.
Any other ideas anyone? Thanx
Old 08-02-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I checked my region 1 Jesus Christ Superstar and have confirmed the English subtitles are appearing during the songs when enabled.

Perhaps try your disc in a different (friend or family) DVD player with the subtitle button on the remote.
Old 08-02-12, 07:46 PM

Thanks - I will check it in a friend's player.
But because I'm in the UK, then this DVD will be a Region 2.
Maybe only Region 1 (US) discs have the subtitles enabled?
I know some UK Region 2 players will also play Region 1 - so maybe I will have to buy a Region 1 DVD from America.
Does anybody know if a Sharp VCR/DVD Recorder Combination bought in the UK, is supposed to be able to play Region 1 discs?
BTW there's nothing actually wrong with my player because other discs with subtitles work OK.
Old 08-02-12, 08:04 PM

MMmmmmm
Just found info saying my Sharp won't play Region 1 DVDs.
Can't post link cos I don't have 30 posts.
Old 08-02-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another option is to try programming your player device code into a universal remote, which might have an additional button for subtitles.
Old 08-03-12, 02:08 AM

Player device code? Universal remote? I'm a 70 year old non-techie DF - I think all this is getting beyond me....but thanks anyway. I will let you know if the disc plays on another player.
Old 08-03-12, 03:35 AM

OK some progress....Have tried DVD in an old player and TV used in bedroom.
Subtitles in set-up didn't work but when I hit the subtitles button on the remote they swung into view!
So at least I know that subtitles are operative on the DVD - but the set up menu isn't enough to activate them. And as I explained before, the Sharp remote doesn't have a subtitle button.
So can somebody please try to explain to me how I reprogram another remote WITH a subtitle button to work on my Sharp? Thanks if you can....
Old 08-03-12, 03:49 AM

What's the exact model of your player, skysurfer?
Old 08-03-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

skysurfer, there are many different brands and models of universal remotes, and each is programmed differently. You would probably need to purchase one of these remotes, unless you've already got one in the form of a cable TV or satellite box remote which alllows additional devices to be programmed in. You could have a salesperson or tech volunteer assist you with programming the device code. Most of these remotes come with a set of instructions. Make sure the remote has a subtitles button on it before purchasing.

Another option is to connect your other DVD player to your big TV when you wish to use the subtitles. Or you could buy a new player with subtitle option and sell/give the other one away.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 08-03-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 03:23 AM

One other idea: before you play the disc, go to your player's setup menu and set the default subtitles to English. There should be an option in there somewhere. That might work.
Old 08-06-12, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

skysurfer, it's highly possible your vcr/dvd combo can not support the subtitle option via *any* remote even if the replacement programmable *has* the button. Rather than purchasing a new remote I suggest that you replace the combo player or simply add a new unit that has subtitle capabilities via the remote. Even if you have lots of tapes it should be worth the effort as there are many titles on which subtitles can only be accessed via the remote while playing. If you opt for a replacement remote make sure it can be returned if it doesn't correct your issue.
Old 08-06-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good suggestion, BobO'Link
Old 08-08-12, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may be that the subtitle function is a submenu that is accessed via the display button. Do you have the instruction manual for your Sharp VCR/DVD? If not, here's a link to a pdf for a sharp uk site that explains bringing up subtitles.

http://www.tradenet.sharp.co.uk/file...VRW360H253.pdf

The instructions are at the bottom of page 59, "Switching subtitles" (which, I believe is page 9 on the pdf menu bar).

If that doesn't match your remote, this site lets you look up by model number (assuming Sharp hasn't discontinued the listing).

http://www.sharpelectronics.info/Man...x/Manuals.aspx

And I know it wasn't your original question, but does your TV have a closed caption function? Some DVD's have closed captions, separate from the subtitles.

Last edited by digidoh; 08-08-12 at 08:30 AM. Reason: misspelling