Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, after seeing an absolutely excellent clip with "the angels", I've decided I want to watch Dr. Who. I just have no idea where to start.

So first off, sorry if this is a repost. The forum search limitations make searching for this a little challenging, since "Dr" and "who" are both too small. I did find THIS THREAD, but it's about six years out of date (DVDs were just being released for the series, apparently, I think new material has come out since then, and I'm sure viewing options like Hulu/Amazon video/etc weren't around at all).

1) Where should I begin? I'm afraid to start at the beginning, because until I get a grasp on the mythology, I'm afraid I might be initially put off by how dated some of the old stuff is. But I'm not totally opposed to just going chronologically.

2) What's the easiest and most economical legalway to view it? DVD/Blu Ray? I have access to Amazon Prime, and I think they have some available. I'm not even opposed to renewing Netflix to watch this.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Doctor Who? What I want is "Where to begin?" And why and how?

Probably the 2005 series, or maybe the 1996 movie. Both will introduce, but likely leave you with questions that will be answered to varying degrees as the 2005 series on on progresses.

I believe Netflix has all 2005+ streaming. I know Amazon has some, but as you said not sure how much.
Old 08-02-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I started with the 2005 series and pretty much everything is answered as it moved along.

I think Prime has everything from the 2005 series so that will be your easiest way to watch it more than likely.
Old 08-02-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
1) Where should I begin? I'm afraid to start at the beginning, because until I get a grasp on the mythology, I'm afraid I might be initially put off by how dated some of the old stuff is. But I'm not totally opposed to just going chronologically.
I'm just speaking from my own experience, but I found the current Matt Smith era to be an excellent jumping on point.

Reading this beforehand wouldn't hurt: http://www.avclub.com/articles/doctor-who,39924/
Old 08-02-12, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2005 series is my vote. Enjoy the ride!
Old 08-02-12, 10:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

As much as I love the original series, new viewers are going to have a bad time. I recommend you start with the 2005 series as well. The 1996 movie is corny and has a lot of controversial stuff / continuity problems.

But don't be afraid to investigate some of the old stuff as well as it's widely available on the streaming services. I'd start with "City of Death" as it's the most accessible. If you don't feel that one, you probably won't like the others.
Old 08-02-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for starting with the 2005 series. I never watched the old Doctor Who and I've never had the urge to watch the low budget stuff. I'm sure it's charming but I have much better things I haven't gotten around to that I want to see.

By the way, it's always written "Doctor" and not "Dr."

Last edited by movielib; 08-16-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
As much as I love the original series, new viewers are going to have a bad time. I recommend you start with the 2005 series as well. The 1996 movie is corny and has a lot of controversial stuff / continuity problems.

But don't be afraid to investigate some of the old stuff as well as it's widely available on the streaming services. I'd start with "City of Death" as it's the most accessible. If you don't feel that one, you probably won't like the others.
Yes.

Start with Rose and work your way onwards. Then I'd sample a few Tom Bakers (and maybe Peter Davison) before fully immersing yourself to the classic series.

For Tom, I'd definitely recommend Pyramids of Mars, The Brain of Morbius, Robots of Death, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, Horror of Fang Rock and City of Death. For Peter Davison, Kinda and The Caves of Androzani.
Old 08-02-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, 2005 (aka Rose) is most likely the best point. Netflix has everything from 2005 forward, and a few of the old ones if you feel froggy.
Old 08-02-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay then. Thanks for all the advice... 2005 it is.
Old 08-02-12, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for the 2005 series to start with. Although the original run can be enjoyed, the 2005 series is where the Doctor truly hit it's stride.
Old 08-02-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Okay then. Thanks for all the advice... 2005 it is.
You're in for an incredible ride!
Old 08-02-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I will agree with everyone else here. I just started about 3 months ago and am currently in season 3, and I just started Torchwood season 1, I should have started this before I started season 3 of the Doctor. You may or may not like Torchwood and you do not have to watch it to follow the Doctor.
Old 08-02-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you my Mommy? Mommy.
Old 08-02-12, 11:48 AM

As others have said, Amazon Prime has pretty much everything from the current run for free, except for the Matt Smith Christmas specials but you don't have to worry about those for a while.

They also have a lot of good episodes from the classic series, so it's worth dipping into those after you've seen some of the new series. The Key to Time season has been on my mind lately, because the actress who played Romana recently died (and was HOT). The Caves of Androzani is widely considered to be one of the best classic stories, plus it's the 5th Doctor's regeneration story. I'm also partial to the 3rd Doctor's first season.
Old 08-02-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here's a similar thread that's more recent:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/593...start-all.html

FWIW, I also started with the 2005 relaunch, and have only seen a small scattering of earlier episodes. I do think that one could also feasibly start with Matt Smith's Doctor in series 5 of the relaunch, as Adam Tyner has done.
Old 08-02-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Probably the 2005 series, or maybe the 1996 movie. Both will introduce, but likely leave you with questions that will be answered to varying degrees as the 2005 series on on progresses.

I believe Netflix has all 2005+ streaming. I know Amazon has some, but as you said not sure how much.
This. I started with 2005.
Old 08-02-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I started with 2005 and had no problem figuring anything out. And yeah, both Amazon ' and Netflix have 2005+ on it. If you only have Netflix viewing devices, you could always free trial for a month and get through all of it.
Old 08-02-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
I started with 2005 and had no problem figuring anything out. And yeah, both Amazon ' and Netflix have 2005+ on it. If you only have Netflix viewing devices, you could always free trial for a month and get through all of it.
Nah, I've got both a PS3 and an Ipad, so I can watch Amazon Prime on both of those.

Looking forward to it!
Old 08-02-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I decided to give this a go around Christmas. I jumped in with the Christopher Eccleston season. I made it through half the season. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I liked him and Rose, but there wasn't anything pushing me to keep watching. It just wasn't clicking for me for some reason.
Old 08-02-12, 02:10 PM
Cool New Member

I'm happy I read this thread now that I know netflix has it since 2005 a I can watch it and take it off my dvr except for the new episodes and it looks like i will be having a Doctor Who marithon

Last edited by bigluelok; 08-02-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I decided to give this a go around Christmas. I jumped in with the Christopher Eccleston season. I made it through half the season. It wasn't bad, but wasn't great either. I liked him and Rose, but there wasn't anything pushing me to keep watching. It just wasn't clicking for me for some reason.
Maybe skip ahead to the end of the season for Eccleston's final stories, and then try out season 2 to see if Tennant is more to your tastes. If not...maybe skip even further ahead to the Matt Smith era. They changed executive producers at that point, so the stories do have a different feel to them.
Old 08-02-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Prior to the 2005 series the only Doctor Who I saw was part of an older episode that was set in a plaza that they were unable to leave because they would re-enter the plaza when exiting -- perhaps Castrovalva?

The 2005 series gets better as it moves along with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant does a great job in the following series. I have not seen any episodes with Matt Smith however...
Old 08-02-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by areacode212
Maybe skip ahead to the end of the season for Eccleston's final stories, and then try out season 2 to see if Tennant is more to your tastes. If not...maybe skip even further ahead to the Matt Smith era. They changed executive producers at that point, so the stories do have a different feel to them.
This. It looks like Michael Corvin stopped right before the excellent two parter "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances". Skipping around to try the various Doctor/companion combinations would be a good thing to try too. And Dr. Who fan or not, everyone should watch "Blink."

Originally Posted by bigluelok
I'm happy I read this thread now I know netflix has it since 2005 and I had not thought to checl Netflix. Fot some reason
A note about Netflix and Amazon Prime:

Both have all the episodes in order up through season 4, including the specials (although they don't have the Children in Need shorts). Then they mess up on the specials after The Next Doctor but before season 5.
If you don't watch these episodes, which were David Tennent's last as the Doctor, then the start of season 5 may come as a shock.

Season 5 is fine, but the Christmas special for that year (A Christmas Carol) is not on Netflix, while it's not free for Prime users on Amazon Instant. It's a great episode, but like Planet of the Dead is not essential from the perspective of the overall storyline.

Also, before watching Season 6, catch these two Red Nose Day shorts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JtuEa_OPc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmiefoRcfU

Season 6 is complete on both, but Amazon has the 2 minute prequels to episodes 1, 3, 7, 8, and 13, free to all. However, Netflix has the Christmas special (The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe), while Amazon is pay only.
Old 08-02-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by areacode212
That's the thing, Eccleston isn't the problem, I kinda like him. The show just has a low budget vibe that bugs me.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This. It looks like Michael Corvin stopped right before the excellent two parter "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances". Skipping around to try the various Doctor/companion combinations would be a good thing to try too. And Dr. Who fan or not, everyone should watch "Blink."
Thanks guys. Not sure when I'll get a chance to give it another go, but I'll definitely make a note of this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.