Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kendrick Lamar -- discussion thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre Cover XXL‘s 15th Anniversary Issue

Top Dawg’s golden child and the Good Doctor come together to celebrate XXL‘s milestone in the September issue…

XXL‘s 15th anniversary issue featuring Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre will be on newsstands nationwide August 14. More details to come.

Listen to The Recipe and Swimming Pools (Drank)! “good kid, m.A.A.d. city” will drop October 2nd 2012 via TDE/Aftermath/Interscope.
Old 08-01-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: Kendrick Lamar -- discussion thread

1st single
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YpugK0RpEaU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2nd single
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pe0n5mqkf6c?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-02-12, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this. Loved Section .80
Old 08-03-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bootsy
Looking forward to this. Loved Section .80
liking these 2 singles especially The Recipe, so I'm getting the album [Dre's involved]. So Section .80 is that good? Other than these 2 songs and Game's "The City" [which Kendrick was dope], that's only thing I've heard from Kendrick.
Old 08-03-12, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kendrick Lamar dishes on ‘surprising’ new LP

If you thought Kendrick Lamar’s summer singles – “The Recipe” featuring Dr. Dre and “Swimming Pools (Drank)” – indicate what to expect from the rapper’s October full length, you’re mistaken.

“I like the element of surprise,” said the Compton, Calif., rapper, sitting in a Toronto hotel room a day after performing alongside Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. “It’s more in-depth.”

Though “The Recipe” – a floaty, Twin Sister-sampling ode to California’s women, weed and weather – is considered a confirmed single, along with the Gunplay collaboration, “Cartoons & Cereals,” Lamar says it’s looking like features will not play a significant role. Even the title, good kid, m.A.A.d city is still tentative.

“I’m selfish – it’s all me,” he said, laughing. “I’ve got to pick what feels right. I never go into it thinking, ‘I want to get these people on there.’ No, I don’t force nothing and right now it’s turning out to be all me.”

Lamar concedes to cameos from his Black Hippy crew – rappers Ab-Soul, Schoolboy Q and J-Rock – and it’s safe to assume that since he’s under Dr. Dre’s wing at Interscope, “The Recipe” isn’t going anywhere. But considering he’s an in-demand young rapper, having worked with everyone from Drake to Talib Kweli in the past year, a feature-skint record is bold. Turns out he’s like any workaholic – neurotic about his success.

“People get in this position and feel like they need the big producers, the big artists,” Lamar explained. “Nah – I’m still hungry. I want to show and prove to the non-believers.”

via CBC

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 08-03-12, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
liking these 2 singles especially The Recipe, so I'm getting the album [Dre's involved]. So Section .80 is that good? Other than these 2 songs and Game's "The City" [which Kendrick was dope], that's only thing I've heard from Kendrick.
Section .80 is very good. It's more of a message/political type album. Good songs, good messages.
Old 08-03-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks
Old 08-04-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love "HiiPower" but found the rest of Section.80 almost unlistenable.
Old 08-04-12, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
I love "HiiPower" but found the rest of Section.80 almost unlistenable.
No.
Old 08-04-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
No.
Oh, is my opinion incorrect? That's nice to know.
Old 08-05-12, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Oh, is my opinion incorrect? That's nice to know.
And I gave you my opinion of your opinion.
Old 09-04-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Press Release: Kendrick Lamar “good kid, m.A.A.d city”

The official release date for the highly anticipated debut major label album from rising rapper Kendrick Lamar–crowned the “new King of the West Coast” by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg at an L.A. concert last year–was announced today. good kid, m.A.A.d city (Top Dawg Entertainment/Aftermath Entertainment/Interscope Records) will be released October 22, 2012. Featured will be the single “Swimming Pool (Drank),” which was released July 31st and is produced by T-Minus. Lamar will introduce the album by headlining a nationwide tour that also includes the BET Music Matters Tour beginning September 7.

Lamar’s indie-issued Section.80 ranked as one of the top digital hip-hop albums of 2011. Despite not having a physical release, Section.80 cracked Billboard’s R&B/Hip-hop Top 25, Rap Top 15 and Top 200 Albums charts. The Compton, California native has since been racking up the praise. After his Bonnaroo performance this year, esteemed critic Jon Pareles wrote in the New York Times (June 8):

“Instead I prefer Kendrick Lamar… (who) instead of directing his anger at the police, women or outsiders, he criticizes himself and his environment, and he projects far more ambition than victimization (with) tales of striving, self-improvement and overcoming a rough past, delivered with a cutting rasp and fast, complicated meter shifts.”

Lamar first drew the attention of Dre with his 2010 mixtape O(verly) D(edicated). This year, he performed alongside Dre and Snoop as they co-headlined the Coachella Music & Arts Festival. good kid, m.A.A.d city also features “The Recipe” with Dr. Dre and was released in the spring and reached the Rap Top 25.

Full Article http://www.aftermathmusic.com/blog/2...odkidmaadcity/
Old 09-18-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kendrick Lamar Explains “good kid, m.A.A.d city” Album Cover

Kendrick Lamar explains why he chose the photo on the cover of “good kid, m.A.A.d city” and discusses the real-life story behind “Swimming Pools.”

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3jq81F8VRpY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Standard

Deluxe Edition

AFTERMATHMUSIC.net
Old 10-02-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kendrick Lamar Releases 'Compton' Song, 'Good Kid' Tracklist

With three weeks to go before his debut album "good kid, m.A.A.d city" is released, Kendrick Lamar has unveiled the official tracklist for the highly anticipated album, as well as "Compton," a new collaboration with his West Coast mentor, Dr. Dre.

"Compton" is listed as the last track on "good kid," and once again finds Lamar and his Aftermath boss repping their city via traded verses, much like previous collaboration "The Recipe," which was released earlier this year. "I pass the blunt, then pass the torch/Of course that's my decision!" Dr. Dre growls before Lamar effortlessly picks up his flow mid-stream.

"The Recipe" and "Cartoons & Cereal," two previously released Lamar tracks, do not appear on the final cut of "good kid, m.A.A.d city" standard version, although "The Recipe" does appear on the deluxe edition. The single "Swimming Pools (Drank)" is the only song that fans of the MC are familiar with on the debut LP.

The tracklist instead offers juicy new collaborations with Drake, Anna Wise, and Lamar's Black Hippy cohort Jay Rock on the standard edition, and Mary J. Blige on the deluxe cut. There's also a song called "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst," that is a whopping 12 (!) minutes long.

Another glaring omission from "good kid, m.A.A.d city," which drops Oct. 22? Lamar's collaboration with Lady Gaga, which was announced on Twitter by the pop superstar in August. Perhaps the duet will appear on Gaga's next full-length, "ARTPOP."

Here is the track list for "good kid, m.A.A.d city":

1. Sherane a.k.a. Master Splinter's Daughter
2. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
3. Backseat Freestyle
4. The Art of Peer Pressure
5. Money Trees feat. Jay Rock
6. Poetic Justice feat. Drake
7. good kid
8. m.A.A.d city feat. MC Eiht
9. Swimming Pools (Drank) [Extended Version]
10. Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst
11. Real feat. Anna Wise
12. Compton feat. Dr. Dre
13. The Recipe feat. Dr. Dre [Bonus Track]
14. Black Boy Fly [Bonus Track]
15. Now or Never feat. Mary J. Blige [Bonus Track]
16. Collect Calls [Bonus Track]
17. Swimming Pools (Drank) [Bonus Track]

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0WgoX7yySW8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't wait for this to come out, I love all the singles released so far.
Old 10-17-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Gerry the Don must be happy today.

The album has leaked.
Old 10-17-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

heh heh... no I never listen to leaks. I can wait.
Old 10-18-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're a better man than me. Shit, my laptop hard drive died and I got a new one yesterday. Late last night, I decided I was gonna wait until today to swap the drive out and go through all the hassle of restoring from my backup discs and reloading all my software. While web browsing on my ipad I saw that this had leaked..... suddenly I was more than willing to stay up getting the laptop back up and running just to get it

This album is fire. Will happily plop down my $ for this on Tuesday. I admit I was I was late on Kendrick last year. My brother had been in my ear for a few years now talking about how dope he was.
Old 10-18-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl
You're a better man than me. Shit, my laptop hard drive died and I got a new one yesterday. Late last night, I decided I was gonna wait until today to swap the drive out and go through all the hassle of restoring from my backup discs and reloading all my software. While web browsing on my ipad I saw that this had leaked..... suddenly I was more than willing to stay up getting the laptop back up and running just to get it

This album is fire. Will happily plop down my $ for this on Tuesday. I admit I was I was late on Kendrick last year. My brother had been in my ear for a few years now talking about how dope he was.

I will purchase it too. It's pretty tight, but I could do without all the stupid skits that finish off songs etc. About 10 minutes could be cut off the record.
Old 10-18-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$11.99 for the deluxe at Target (on MONDAY for some reason?) with 2 exclusive tracks.
Old 10-18-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good lookin' out - I'll stop by Target Monday morning after I drop my son off at school.

Apparently, the deluxe version gets these three tracks from the list above:
13. The Recipe feat. Dr. Dre [Bonus Track]
14. Black Boy Fly [Bonus Track]
15. Now or Never feat. Mary J. Blige [Bonus Track]

While the Target version adds the final two bonus tracks listed (including the regular version of Swimming Pools):
16. Collect Calls [Bonus Track]
17. Swimming Pools (Drank) [Bonus Track]

I was sort of bitching about most places wanting $14.99 just for the Deluxe Version's three extra tracks - including forcing people to buy that version if they want The Recipe - but for $11.99 at Target plus two more tracks, I can't complain.

Also, as a huge fan of Compton's Most Wanted back in the day, I'm lovin the MC Eiht track (along with "Money Trees")
Old 10-18-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buy Man With the Iron Fists Sountrack while you are there. Rivers of Blood.....OMG.
Old 10-18-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha - I was just looking at the track listing for that, thinking "I'mma pick that up, too"
Old 10-18-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I <3 you.
Old 10-18-12, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I will purchase it too. It's pretty tight, but I could do without all the stupid skits that finish off songs etc. About 10 minutes could be cut off the record.
Yeah it almost ruins the song. Especially on The Art of Peer Pressure. He was on a good flow and then the skit comes at the end. Really unnecessary.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.