DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Falls: Box Office 7/27-7/29

Mr. Cinema
07-28-12, 12:15 PM
Early estimates from Boxoffice.com. TDKR took in about $18 million Friday. Fox's R-rated comedy The Watch probably won't earn what Ted did during its opening weekend.

http://img1.UploadScreenshot.com/images/main/7/20902575093.jpg

Dr. DVD
07-28-12, 01:13 PM
Guess the Olympic slide in movie attendance begins. FWIW, TDK had a good three weekends without Summer Olympic competition in 08. Guess WB will have to settle for a measly $350 to $400 million. :(...;)

PopcornTreeCt
07-28-12, 01:23 PM
Everytime I see "The Watch" written somewhere, I think it's a feature length film of Christopher Walken's scene in Pulp Fiction.

dsa_shea
07-28-12, 03:36 PM
The big question is will there be another Ice Age movie?

fumanstan
07-28-12, 04:11 PM
Why do we fall?

islandclaws
07-28-12, 04:20 PM
The Watch looked like a piece of shit, so no surprise it's tanking.

I'll finally give TDKR my money this weekend, so add $20 to that weekend estimate.

Wazootyman
07-28-12, 04:21 PM
The big question is will there be another Ice Age movie?

The Ice Age movies do ridiculous international business. It might peter out around 120 here, but it's already grabbed 450 more internationally. The box office demand is there, the only question is if everyone involved wants to do it. Which, judging from the profit, it will probably be yes.

superdeluxe
07-28-12, 04:37 PM
Lots of Solid drops (30-40% drops are pretty good)

andy434343
07-28-12, 04:45 PM
Everytime I see "The Watch" written somewhere, I think it's a feature length film of Christopher Walken's scene in Pulp Fiction.

"This Watch"

RoboDad
07-28-12, 05:16 PM
I'll finally give TDKR my money this weekend, so add $20 to that weekend estimate.

I'm pretty sure your $20 was already factored in. ;)

Mike86
07-28-12, 05:23 PM
It's a fall but it's still doing fairly decent and there are some factors as to why it's probably going down a bit with the shooting last week, the Olympics starting this weekend, and the fact that this movie probably isn't getting a bunch of kids being brought to it by parents given the more mature nature of the Nolan Batman films. That and I'll probably get shit for saying it but I think that the death of Heath Ledger brought on a lot more curiosity from more casual fans who otherwise wouldn't have bothered seeing it to see The Dark Knight.

RagingBull80
07-28-12, 06:07 PM

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it on a marquee on my way to work a few days ago.

The Bus
07-28-12, 08:15 PM
I don't think a single person here thought <b>Ted</b> would be a $200MM movie.

whoopdido
07-28-12, 08:19 PM
That and I'll probably get shit for saying it but I think that the death of Heath Ledger brought on a lot more curiosity from more casual fans who otherwise wouldn't have bothered seeing it to see The Dark Knight.

I can't imagine any rational person would believe otherwise.

PopcornTreeCt
07-28-12, 08:32 PM
I think the fact that The Dark Knight was a hell of a lot better TDKR explains the box office. Word of mouth isn't nearly as good this time around.

Mike86
07-28-12, 08:36 PM
I think the fact that The Dark Knight was a hell of a lot better TDKR explains the box office. Word of mouth isn't nearly as good this time around.
It doesn't have the hype The Dark Knight did if you ask me. Well it does but in a different way. People obviously were curious about Ledger's last performance since he died young and tragically and it didn't hurt that the role was really memorable. I wouldn't say this movie has bad word of mouth though, I think it's more or less people had sky high expectations out of it. Pretty much what I predicted all along before the film even came out. The Dark Knight was a lightning in a bottle thing and just caught at the right time and had a lot of factors going for it.

Supermallet
07-28-12, 08:38 PM
After 8 days, TDKR is about $20 million shy of TDK. I'd say that's pretty good for a Batman movie without a majorly recognizable villain (to the general public I mean) and with the stigma of the shooting.

Artman
07-28-12, 08:38 PM

Yeah, there's always a breakout comedy every summer it seems.

Super X
07-28-12, 10:56 PM
After 8 days, TDKR is about $20 million shy of TDK. I'd say that's pretty good for a Batman movie without a majorly recognizable villain (to the general public I mean) and with the stigma of the shooting.

So you're saying the stellar portrayal of Bane in Batman and Robin didn't stick in everyone's minds?

discostu1337
07-28-12, 11:09 PM
So you're saying the stellar portrayal of Bane in Batman and Robin didn't stick in everyone's minds?

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone out there who remebers that Bane was in that terrible movie, let alone that movie itself existed. Even I forgot that he was in that movie ;)

Mondo Kane
07-29-12, 12:37 AM
Even I forgot that he was in that movie ;)

lol You're not alone. Even when Inside Edition popped up (Prior to release weekend) to explain to Rush Limbaugh that Bane was nearly a 20 year-old creation, the voiceover even explained, "We found that Bane had already appeared in an earlier Batman movie starring George Clooney". :lol:

dhmac
07-29-12, 01:02 AM
Why do we fall?

So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Throwing Copper
07-29-12, 02:08 AM

Nope. I thought if it did well it would make $100 million. But now that's it's been out there so long, I think even people who probably wouldn't normally check it out are going to see what all the fuss is about.

Troy Stiffler
07-29-12, 02:58 AM
Not terribly suprised by Ted. People watch the shit out of Family Guy. Seems like it's always #1 on Hulu, even though there's no new episodes. Seth McFarlane's comedy is very brief and breezy. Like it or not, it makes his stuff very fun and rewatchable (even if you're not laughing the whole time).

wm lopez
07-29-12, 06:07 AM

The internet wasn't as huge then.

Mr. Cinema
07-29-12, 09:17 AM
Dark Knight Rises had a very strong Saturday according to Deadline. This is their estimated top 5:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 2 [4,404 Runs] PG13
Friday $18.0M, Saturday $25.6M, Weekend $65.0M (-59%), Cume $290.0M

2. The Watch (Fox) NEW 3,168 Runs) R
Friday $4.5M, Saturday $4.9M, Weekend $13.3M

3. Ice Age 4 3D (Fox) Week 3 [3,869 Runs) PG
Friday $4.1M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $13.2M, Cume $114.8M

4. Step Up Revolution 3D (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [2,567 Runs) PG13
Friday $5.0M, Saturday 3.9M, Weekend $11.8M

5. Ted (Universal) Week 5 [3,129 Runs) R
Friday $2.1M, Saturday $3.0M, Weekend $7.4M, Cume $193.7M

6. The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Col/Sony) Week 4 [3,160 Run]
Friday $1.8M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $7.0M, Cume $242.2M

The Bus
07-29-12, 09:34 AM
I still find it hard to understand why Heath Ledger's death made people flock to see Batman. This is probably because I don't think that way, so I find it hard to relate.

I guess the same thing happened with <b>The Crow</b>?

fumanstan
07-29-12, 09:42 AM
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Whew, so Nolan's next movie will be even better! :)

GuessWho
07-29-12, 09:48 AM
I still find it hard to understand why Heath Ledger's death made people flock to see Batman. This is probably because I don't think that way, so I find it hard to relate.

I guess the same thing happened with <b>The Crow</b>?Yes

stingermck
07-29-12, 09:57 AM
Warner Bros‘ and Legendary Pictures’ The Dark Knight Rises remained a strong #1 and even jumped +42% from this Friday to Saturday after the London Olympics opening show had aired. TDKR‘s domestic total of $290M through Sunday is the 3rd highest for a recent movie’s first 10 days in release, behind only The Dark Knight ($313.7M) and this early summer Marvel’s The Avengers ($373M). It soon will be the 3rd fastest to reach $300M behind the same two pics (not adjusting for inflation or IMAX or higher ticket prices). I’m sure TDKR is on its way to even more records but Warner Bros thinks its inappropriate to boast about them post-Aurora. Nolan’s Batman finale has a worldwide cume closing in on half a billion in its first 10 days – which ain’t too shabby given everything that’s gone on. This threequel’s grosses are still trailing Christopher Nolan’s second franchise installment The Dark Knight. Which is to be expected since NRG research showed that 20%-25% of the domestic moviegoing audience was still very hesitant to go this weekend because of the Colorado theater shooting.

Michael Corvin
07-29-12, 10:18 AM
NRG research showed that 20%-25% of the domestic moviegoing audience was still very hesitant to go this weekend because of the Colorado theater shooting.

I can't blame 'em. Every time someone got up to leave the theater I was watching them like a hawk. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

The Bus
07-29-12, 10:28 AM
I can't blame 'em. Every time someone got up to leave the theater I was watching them like a hawk. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Didn't cross my mind once.

Mind you, I was having a stellar day and I was in Singapore, but still...

Makes me wonder how business is doing at that theater in Aurora. Has it been shut down, is it open, etc.?

TomOpus
07-29-12, 10:33 AM
We didn't go last weekend not because we were worried about a copycat shooter but my fiancée just thought it felt macabre going so soon. We're going to an IMAX showing today.

majorjoe23
07-29-12, 10:35 AM

The script was pulled from someone's ass.

movieguru
07-29-12, 11:24 AM
Doesn't look like Spider-Man will even hit $300 million domestic at this rate!!

whoopdido
07-29-12, 11:27 AM
When there's a deadly car accident on the freeway, how long does it take you to drive on that freeway again? People never cease to amaze me. 20-25% think they're going to get shot if they go to the Batman movie? I don't know what to say.

Mr. Cinema
07-29-12, 11:31 AM
Doesn't look like Spider-Man will even hit $300 million domestic at this rate!!
No chance. But I think it can reach $260 mil as it seems to be holding pretty well post Dark Knight. It'll likely pass $700 mil worldwide too. I think Sony would be happy with those numbers considering the reboot and complete recasting. I think the sequel will do better numbers because the origin story is over with and they have a chance to bring in someone much more talented than Marc Webb.

dhmac
07-29-12, 11:41 AM
You know, until someone told me, I didn't even know that the brute was supposed to be Bane in B&R. The way the movie depicted him, he was just Poison Ivy's lackey.

Greg MacGuffin
07-29-12, 11:54 AM
Makes me wonder how business is doing at that theater in Aurora. Has it been shut down, is it open, etc.?

It's been shut down.

TheMovieman
07-29-12, 12:11 PM
# TITLE WEEKEND LOCATIONS AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 The Dark Knight Rises $64,075,000 -60% 4,404 0 $14,549 $289,086,359 2 Warner Bros.
2 Ice Age: Continental Drift $13,300,000 -35% 3,869 -17 $3,438 $114,847,214 3 Fox
3 The Watch $13,000,000 -- 3,168 -- $4,104 $13,000,000 1 Fox
4 Step Up Revolution $11,800,000 -- 2,567 -- $4,597 $11,800,000 1 Lionsgate / Summit
5 Ted (2012) $7,400,000 -26% 3,129 -85 $2,365 $193,665,600 5 Universal
6 The Amazing Spider-Man $6,800,000 -38% 3,160 -593 $2,152 $242,052,610 4 Sony / Columbia
7 Brave $4,237,000 -30% 2,551 -348 $1,661 $217,261,519 6 Disney
8 Magic Mike $2,580,000 -40% 2,075 -531 $1,243 $107,586,855 5 Warner Bros.
9 Savages $1,800,000 -47% 1,414 -922 $1,273 $43,945,570 4 Universal
10 Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection $1,320,000 -41% 1,111 -429 $1,188 $62,747,297 5 Lionsgate

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/studio_estimate/2012-07-29

movieguru
07-29-12, 12:32 PM
No chance. But I think it can reach $260 mil as it seems to be holding pretty well post Dark Knight. It'll likely pass $700 mil worldwide too. I think Sony would be happy with those numbers considering the reboot and complete recasting. I think the sequel will do better numbers because the origin story is over with and they have a chance to bring in someone much more talented than Marc Webb.

World wide gross isn't bad. Domestic just seems incredibly low considering the boost 3-D surcharges should have given them. The sequel will most likely do much better. I don't think they need to switch director's. The movie was good, and if an origin movie hadn't come before this one, it would have benn more well received. I think the tone in this one is an improvement from the other trilogy. It also appears they're trying to keep subplots going through all 3 movies, so i can't see them switching directors.

Mike86
07-29-12, 12:40 PM

It's a sad fact but it's true. Whenever someone dies young or tragically and they're a public figure people will flock to that person's work. Kind of like how people obsessed over Kurt Cobain after he passed or Michael Jackson. Both have likely made more money dead than when they were alive.

Artman
07-29-12, 01:09 PM
It also appears they're trying to keep subplots going through all 3 movies, so i can't see them switching directors.

It's not really that they want to switch directors, but he's under contract with Fox and apparently will not be able to do the next one.

Troy Stiffler
07-29-12, 01:28 PM

I would say that it gave it a little boost. Normal moviegoers give it a little extra look.

But, like The Dark Knight, The Crow is a very moving action movie. You could put something like Face/Off in that category, too. And I think that is what makes those movies popular.

Dragon Tattoo
07-29-12, 02:04 PM

Jesus, people actually think this way?

Ridiculous.

redrum
07-29-12, 02:16 PM

Ridiculous.

after someone JUST shot up a theater? yes

My Other Self
07-29-12, 03:55 PM
after someone JUST shot up a theater? yesI still haven't been able to go yet but after talking to a few people that did trek out last weekend, they did the same thing.

I love how its macho and people are deemed ridiculous for the way their mind works after a deranged lunatic opens fire at a bunch of a people while just watching a movie.

There was a showing at one of the AMC theaters in San Jose on Tuesday that had some idiot basically saying he had a bomb in the theater. They had to evacuate and shut everything down and call in the bomb squad to check it out.

Then there was that guy in New England who had an arsenal of weapons in his car and pretty much planned a copycat killing but the cops were tipped off before it could happen.

Sounds to me like the people thinking that way weren't really ridiculous since the people who consider doing things like that are. You just never know.

Roybq
07-29-12, 04:04 PM
I've seen 3 movies this week and each time someone got up...I was pulled out of the movie. I didn't stare at anyone as they left and came back, but I guess it's just on my mind's radar now. It was especially distracting during TDKR. I irrationally just wanted people to just stay seated until the end of the film. I know the odds of another theater being shot up like that in the future are minimal, but after watching all of the coverage as an avid movie goer, it's hard to get it out of my head.

Mike86
07-29-12, 04:12 PM
I've only been to a movie once since it happened (just haven't had time and nothing out that I haven't seen that I'm interested in). While I didn't put it out of my mind completely I guess I wasn't overly worried about anything happening either. Not enough to be concerned about people getting up during the film I guess.

sharkstank
07-29-12, 05:21 PM
Pretty good numbers for DKR all things considered, and Spidey is dropping like a rock. I really expected more from The Watch, guys like Vaughn and Stiller, was promoted heavily, every time I saw the trailer in theaters it got big laughs. I didn't expect huge numbers, but at least expected like 25 million.

I knew Ted would do well, but I didn't really expect it to hit 200 mil.

I plan on seeing The Watch this week, first time I'll go to the theaters since DKR midnight opening, I don't think the Aurora tragedy will weigh on my mind, but who knows. I've always kind of blocked everyone out while the movie is playing, not sure if I'll do that this time.

Mr. J
07-29-12, 05:31 PM
The tragedy that occurred in Colorado is absolutely horrible and my heart goes out to the families.

However, it hasn't pulled me out of a movie to think about it while watching something at the movie theaters. I'm sure Warner Bros. knew that the box office would drop considerably due to the Olympics.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-29-12, 05:48 PM

Brandon Lee's death absoulutely helped the box office for the Crow.

WeylandYutani
07-29-12, 06:22 PM
Didn't cross my mind once.

Mind you, I was having a stellar day and I was in Singapore, but still...

But still? You being in Singapore makes all the fucking difference in the world watching this movie this weekend.

stingermck
07-29-12, 06:35 PM
Ive been to the movies 3 times since the shooting. Things can happen anywhere or anytime. If you worry about that too much, good luck getting out of bed.

Artman
07-29-12, 07:15 PM
Spidey is dropping like a rock.

It's actually had pretty moderate drops (38% this wknd) with the exception of last wknd when TDKR opened.

wm lopez
07-29-12, 08:47 PM

Well, when 911 happened we only worried about Muslims getting on the plane.
So you should only be watching white men who came alone not women, blacks or Mexicans.

PopcornTreeCt
07-29-12, 09:27 PM
I wasn't worried a bit about watching the movie in the theater. We even had one dude shining a bat symbol in the room which could've been frightening but it wasn't. I can't see anyone pulling a copycat murder.

Michael Corvin
07-29-12, 09:29 PM

:shrug: It's not a "scared" thing but more of a:
I've seen 3 movies this week and each time someone got up...I was pulled out of the movie. I didn't stare at anyone as they left and came back, but I guess it's just on my mind's radar now. It was especially distracting during TDKR. I irrationally just wanted people to just stay seated until the end of the film. I know the odds of another theater being shot up like that in the future are minimal, but after watching all of the coverage as an avid movie goer, it's hard to get it out of my head.

It's just on your mind after media overload.

Matthew Chmiel
07-30-12, 03:13 AM
I've been to the movies twice since the shootings (Moonrise Kingdom and Step Up Revolution) and the shooting didn't even cross my mind once.

However, the theaters have been a ghost town during both occasions. While Moonrise Kingdom was a late Wednesday night showing, Step Up Revolution was during prime time on a Saturday night.

I was talking to the manager when I was grabbing tickets to Step Up and she said that she hasn't noticed a decline in business. She was happy that showings for The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX continue to sell out. :shrug:

wm lopez
07-31-12, 04:28 AM
It's a sad fact but it's true. Whenever someone dies young or tragically and they're a public figure people will flock to that person's work. Kind of like how people obsessed over Kurt Cobain after he passed or Michael Jackson. Both have likely made more money dead than when they were alive. Also their music begins to sell.

Paul_SD
07-31-12, 06:27 AM
This has been going on in 'popular' entertainment since the time of Valentino.

joliom
07-31-12, 08:30 AM

I know the feeling. I went and saw The Amazing Spider-Man a couple days after the shooting and about 5 minutes into the movie a guy ran down the aisle and went out the exit door (the one next to the screen). About 30 seconds later he came back in carrying a bag and ran back up the aisle. That freaked me out for a second. Then I realized he was just a theater employee. None the less, I don't mind admitting that it made my heart skip a beat. On the other hand, I saw The Dark Knight Rises on Saturday and didn't think about the shooting even once. I guess it's just an irrational hysteria thing we all go through in the wake of shocking events endlessly replayed by the media.

RoboDad
07-31-12, 10:59 AM
This has been going on in 'popular' entertainment since the time of Valentino.

It's been going on in the world of art for a lot longer than that. Very few artists are ever considered "great" until after they are gone.

jmu878
07-31-12, 11:03 AM
I've been to the movies twice since the shootings (Moonrise Kingdom and Step Up Revolution) and the shooting didn't even cross my mind once.

However, the theaters have been a ghost town during both occasions. While Moonrise Kingdom was a late Wednesday night showing, Step Up Revolution was during prime time on a Saturday night.

I was talking to the manager when I was grabbing tickets to Step Up and she said that she hasn't noticed a decline in business. She was happy that showings for The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX continue to sell out. :shrug:

Have you considered that the reason that the theater was empty during Step Up is because its a shitty fucking movie? Saying that this shooting, as tragic as it is, is going to stop people from going to the movies is like saying a bad car pile up is going to convince people to stop driving.

wm lopez
07-31-12, 11:22 AM
So THE WATCH bombed.

Solid Snake
07-31-12, 12:37 PM
what's your fucking point? lol.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-31-12, 02:24 PM
Who watches The Watch, man?

GreenVulture
07-31-12, 03:38 PM
Why do we fall?
"Fuck you, dad! Get me out of this hole already!"

Draven
07-31-12, 03:50 PM
Have you considered that the reason that the theater was empty during Step Up is because its a shitty fucking movie? Saying that this shooting, as tragic as it is, is going to stop people from going to the movies is like saying a bad car pile up is going to convince people to stop driving.

To be honest, the worst car pile up in history might give people a bit of a pause on the road.

People certainly didn't like to fly right after September 11th.

wm lopez
07-31-12, 04:07 PM
what's your fucking point? lol.

I think it's Vince Vaughn's 1st bomb in a while.

Michael Corvin
07-31-12, 04:11 PM
People certainly didn't like to fly right after September 11th.

I doubt the Sears Tower had many visitors the following week either.

RichC2
07-31-12, 04:49 PM
$8.16m yesterday for a current cume of $295m domestic, $545m internationally. Will crack $300m domestic today.

TheMovieman
07-31-12, 04:52 PM
I think it's Vince Vaughn's 1st bomb in a while.

Well, there was "The Dilemma" last year which had a $70M budget and managed only $69.7M worldwide ($48.5M stateside).

Matthew Chmiel
08-01-12, 01:08 AM
Have you considered that the reason that the theater was empty during Step Up is because its a shitty fucking movie?
I was entertained. It wasn't as great as Step Up 3D, but it was a decent way to kill 90 minutes.

Saying that this shooting, as tragic as it is, is going to stop people from going to the movies is like saying a bad car pile up is going to convince people to stop driving.
I had a coworker mention to me this morning that she hasn't seen TDKR yet because she's still afraid to head to a movie theater. That's your lowest common denominator right there and that takes up a good portion of the country.