Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help With Video Essentials

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help With Video Essentials

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-00, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently got a Hitachi 53" Ultravision RPTV and tried to calibrate using Video Essentials rented from Netflix. After going through the steps, the picture looks too dark.

Any thoughts? Also for any of with the Hitachi, how what do you do with the AI setting? On or off? Do you go through the process for each "theatre mode" (TV, movies, sports, etc?)

Part of my problem may be that Netflix didn't include a blue filter for that adjustment. Any ideas on getting one?

Any thoughts, hints etc. would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-00, 12:04 PM

I too rented the VE DVD from Netflix. It came with a blue filter when I had it.

The picture definitely looks darker after the calibration. My system is in a room with no windows, though.

After leaving it like that for a few months, I tried to go back to where I used to have it set and couldn't believe how much better it really looks after calibration.

Are you getting too much outside light?
Old 10-18-00, 12:12 PM

thought about too much light, so we tried it in a darken room -- blinds shut, at night. still came through as too dark.

I turned the AI feature, which supposedly adjusts the picture to the room environment, off while calibrating. When the pictured seemed too dark, i turned it back on to much better results.

I think I may need to understand some of the TVs settings better and re-calibrate. Don't know why my rental from Netflix did not have the filter. I think I'll complain and re-rent.

Old 10-18-00, 05:14 PM
Cool New Member

Heh!!! I too rented the disc from netflix!!!!!!!I wonder if we all used the same disc !!!! I didn't get the filter either, but did the calibration very successfully anyway. It takes some time to get use to the "new" picture. It is a bit darker, but you'll find the colors much richer and images much sharper. Stick with it for awhile, you can lighten it a bit, there's nothing saying you can't. I've reset my tv back to the way it was, just to check out the difference,and I can't believe I use to watch it like that!! It will grow on you, give it time. Remember too what they had to say about room lighting too, I've found that to be a very important aspect of 'my' viewing pleasure. I have the room lit from behind either speaker, to the left and right of the tv, using 40 watt bulbs, in uplight fixtures. Looks very dramatic and great for the picture. Enjoy!!! Peace SteveF
Old 10-19-00, 12:39 PM

Well if we are all using the same disc, I promise you I sent the blue filter back with the DVD when I was done with it.

As far as TV settings go. When I calibrated the TV, I disabled all features in the TV for color correction, etc. and I have left them turned off since.
Old 10-19-00, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
I remembered hearing that THX can send you a free blue filter to match up the color.

I searched their site and here is the link for the filter:
http://www.thx.com/consumer_products...rder_form.html

This can be used in "optimode" on Fight Club/ID4/Toystory and a few other tiltes.

I too used the netflix copy of video essential and thought the screen was too dark after the calibration, my guess was some prankster added the wrong filter to the package after sending it back...
Old 10-19-00, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The filter has nothing to do with calibrating the brightness/contrast, only the color/tint. It will seem really dark at first, because most TVs are sold with the settings jacked waaay up to compete with other TVs and showroom lights. Once you get used to the new setting, you'll never go back. Also, it's the best thing you can do for your RPTV: turn down the brightness.

Also, what's good for a DVD may not be good for broadcast and VHS, so you may find yourself bumping that brightness level up and down 20%.

[This message has been edited by DigIt (edited October 19, 2000).]
Old 10-19-00, 03:55 PM

Yeah, I thought about needing to change the setting for broadcast vrs DVD. My set has different theater modes (TV, movie, sports) which seem to automatically adjust video settings as well as audio. It's still fairly new, so I still figuring things out, but I think if I adjust settings in a particular mode they are saved for that mode. Which would make things very easy.

btw: thanks for the THX/gel lead
Old 10-19-00, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Most TVs default to having contrast set all the way up to make them look good on an overlit sales floor. Calibration will give you a much darker picture but it shouldn't be so dark as to be distracting. Contrast is about the hardest setting to get right as there are no hard and fast rules to determine when you've got it right. You just want to adjust it until whites in the test pattern begin to look like white instead of gray. If that's still too dark then jack it up a few notches. It won't ruin the picture to do so. Just remember to readjust your brightness settings anytime you fool with the contrast to keep your black level accurate.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs