Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ten Tips of Movie Etiquette by a Theater Manager

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by /r/movies
  • If you ABSOLUTELY must check your phone, which should be kept on silent at the very least, for a text or missed call, take it outside or keep it VERY well hidden. Taking it outside is your best option, however if you're in the center of a crowded theater, don't interrupt the entire row's viewing experience. For example, my mother usually babysits my son whenever I decide to go watch a movie. I will usually check my phone if it vibrates by keeping it where my hip meets the seat, with the screen at its lowest brightness setting, and an article of clothing to cover the light from above. This allows very few, if anyone to see the light. I don't want to miss an important text of some sort of accident.
  • If you decide to bring a noisy infant with you, expect complaints to be made about you, or management to ask you to leave. Sometimes both will happen. Find a babysitter or don't go to the movie at all. I for the life of me don't understand the logic in bringing an infant to the theater. I'm already afraid I'll have to learn sign language because in 15 or so years, tons of teenagers will be near deaf, and I don't know how to sign with my hands for 'I want a number 10 with no onions'.
  • The best thing to do if something is wrong with the picture or a customer is bothering you is to tell management. Don't ignore any problems. We're there to help you. If there's something wrong, we need to know. If the picture is out of focus, tell us. If there's a customer constantly on his phone, come tell us. As busy as we can get, we cannot watch the crowd the entire movie. Don't ignore the problem and complain about it after the movie, because at that point, we probably can't do anything to correct it now.
  • If you must leave via an emergency, notify management. Don't leave and call or come in 3 days later asking for a refund or passes. With my company, refunds can only be handled the same day the tickets are bought for. I.e, if you bought a ticket for a movie playing the 17th, we cannot give you a refund any day after the 17th. Any 'late' complaints are treated with suspicion and in many cases WILL NOT be given.
  • Complaints about prices will get you no where. It's the same as going to an amusement park: you have to expect marked up prices. Yes, we know we sell expensive food. You could get the same candy at a gas station for a fraction of what you pay at a theater. Complaining and fighting about prices only slows down a concession line, with only hinders the customers behind you even more. I would much rather people call in asking what certain combinations of food would cost, than spend 5 minutes holding up a line of people, telling us about highway robbery. For those who don't know, most theaters only make their income from the concession stand. I believe we only receive about 5-10% of ticket sales, where the rest of that money goes to the studio and the other factors.
  • Check your belongings before you leave the theater. I don't understand how people leave their phones, car keys, hell even wallets at the theater. There is a policy that states 'we are not responsible for lost or stolen items' for a reason. That $300 iPhone you brought in? Someone probably took it. The wallet with a stack of cash you left behind? It's probably gone if it's not turned into the lost and found. Don't be dumb, check yourself before you leave. I hate having to tell people that their brand new phone hasn't been found, or that their wallet wasn't turned in. Ushers and managers DO look and try to locate your items, but sometimes their picked up by other patrons. I had a customer that lost his iPad recently and wanted the theater to take responsibility of it. I simply told him, 'sir the iPad was your responsibility to take out when you leave, if it isn't there when we clean the theater, then someone took it.
  • Comment cards are some of the most powerful tools a customer can use, and abuse. Corporate takes comment cards and customer feedback seriously. I've watched many people be fired due to comment cards about their bad service, and in each case it was honestly the truth. I've personally received a raise because someone wrote in about the exceptional service I've provided. If you have ANYTHING to pass along to corporate, comment cards are your best tool. Do not abuse them and write about how we carded you and didn't let you into a R rated feature. Corporate will only tell you we're doing our job.
  • R Rated policies are enforced for a reason. If we catch you sneaking in, don't get angry that you've be caught. On the other hand if you notice kids obviously sneaking into your R Rated movie, get management to deal with it.** Employees and Managers alike only have so many eyes. Sometimes we do miss people sneaking in, and we will handle it if it's brought up to us.
  • You can address your problems without being rude, and without yelling. Have a complaint about our service, our food, our company? Express your concern in an orderly manner. Being the louder person does not make your opinion any more or less valid. Far too often do people believe that complaints need to be voiced with the rudest most loudest attitude.
  • Last but not least, the friendlier you are to staff, the more good karma you receive the more you show up. This really doesn't apply everywhere, but if you're a nice and friendly regular, who abides by rules and overall are a nice person, you will sometimes be rewarded. We usually will let regular customers who are friendly in for free or give them a free concession item once in a while. It truly does pay to be friendly to employees and management.
A theater manager posted this on Reddit today: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comme...eater_manager/

Some of our theater managers on DVD Talk care to respond or comment?
Old 07-23-12, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ten Tips of Movie Etiquette by a Theater Manager

we have theater managers here? Who else works in a theater? I thought it was just Supermallet who worked in a theater..and in that..he was Mr. projector guy
Old 07-23-12, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did management for several years before shifting to IMAX.

I can't disagree with that list. I can say that most people will not do what it says.
Old 07-23-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
we have theater managers here? Who else works in a theater? I thought it was just Supermallet who worked in a theater..and in that..he was Mr. projector guy
We also have DonnachaOne, and I think one more person at least.
Old 07-23-12, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone under the age of 2 should not be allowed, period. No exceptions.

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 07-23-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

That's a horrible restriction. It really depends on the kid.
Old 07-23-12, 03:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Anyone under the age of 5 should not be allowed, period. No exceptions.
Great job reducing the box office returns on children's movies.
Old 07-23-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Sounds about right. All of the horror stories that come from movie theaters can usually be curbed if you go to the fancy or reserved city theaters. Rift-raft don't have money for somewhat expensive tickets and drinks, etc.

I go reserved or I don't go.
Old 07-23-12, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That's a horrible restriction. It really depends on the kid.
I'd probably go at the youngest 3. 1 and 2...go to hell. They won't even remember it most likely. I was 3 when we went the movies. Good times. Was practically a mute in such occasions.
Old 07-23-12, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Great job reducing the box office returns on children's movies.
yeah, I changed the age to 2. Like a 1-year old is even gonna know what they're watching. Saw tdkr this weekend and there were numerous children there and a few crying babies. Mothers leaving leaving and entering throughout the movie to take care of their kids. That I wouldn't allow.
Old 07-23-12, 04:31 PM

My local theater doesn't allow children under 5 into R-rated movies after 6pm. Which is still a little lax in my opinion, but it's a start.
Old 07-23-12, 04:33 PM
Banned by request

My theater used to (maybe still does) do shows for mothers with babies. They have a changing table in the auditorium and turn the volume down so it's not so loud. More theaters should do shows like that.
Old 07-23-12, 04:34 PM

Seems like a great place to go pick up on lonely MILF's.
Old 07-23-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Anyone under the age of 2 should not be allowed, period. No exceptions.
I agree...our cultural district here in Pittsburgh won't sell tickets or admit children aged 3 and under (for plays, musicals, singers, comedians, etc.)...with the exception of children-themed shows. Why can't theater chains do the same? At the very least it should be a policy in effect for all shows after 6pm.
Old 07-23-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
My theater used to (maybe still does) do shows for mothers with babies. They have a changing table in the auditorium and turn the volume down so it's not so loud. More theaters should do shows like that.
Why? It's the era of home theater. There aren't enough movies to watch at home? Take your kid to the park, if you need to get out of the house. Dragging someone to a theater that has no comprehension of what is even happening around them, but will almost certainly spoil the atmosphere, is asininely selfish.
Old 07-23-12, 04:57 PM
Banned by request

You're right, a mother's life should be lived entirely for her child without any regard to herself. What was I thinking?
Old 07-23-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'm pretty sure I took both my kids when they were 3 (to a kid's movie). Even then they sat quietly and didn't utter a word, get up, or any of the other bullshit other parents seem to have an issue with. I taught them theater etiquette early.

I know I'm definitely in the minority though. Saw Madagascar 3, Brave and Ice Age this summer and there were whiny/noisy kids, kids running up and down the aisles, kids that don't know how to whisper, etc. Also had a problem with kids toddlers at Avengers (told that story in another thread). At Brave we had a kid slurping the straw of his empty drink for a solid 2-3 minutes straight. How does it take a parent that long to take it away? I'm two aisles away and don't want to hear it. I certainly wouldn't put up with my own kid doing it in the seat next to me.

It's really not hard to teach theater etiquette. I don't think the problem is the children though. It's hard to teach children theater etiquette when the parents themselves likely have none.

*mine are now 6 & 8 for reference*
Old 07-23-12, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's really not hard to teach theater etiquette. I don't think the problem is the children though. It's hard to teach children theater etiquette when the parents themselves likely have none.
Absolutely. I've never had problems with my kids in the theater. It's not rocket science, but most people just don't give a shit.
Old 07-23-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, I'm kind of ok with kids being dicks at kids movies. I get that many movies that have kids as their target demo also appeal to other movie goers, but when I go to see the latest Pixar movie -- I kind of expect some noise from kids.

Regarding this list, I feel like it's pointless. The comment card is something I didn't realize, but otherwise these are the rules that you should pretty much already know. If you act like an ass at the theater, I doubt reading a list of things you should already know will change your mind.
Old 07-23-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everyone thinks their kids are the exception to the rule. The truth is, since you are around your kids all of the time, you start to get used to the noise they make. The rest of us aren't used to it.
Old 07-23-12, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My very first job was working in a movie theater when I was in middle school, I saw all sorts of things people smoking, used condoms, people would pee in coke cups and leave it under the seat sometimes they just pee'd on the ground this was usually during long movies I think Lord of The Rings this happened a few times, baby diapers were common. People would be like this movie is so good i gotta change my baby and leave the diaper under the seat. Found a bag of weed (an kept it). Walked in on a kid receiving a BJ the funny thing is they went to my high school awkward hallway passings ensued.
Old 07-23-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Everyone thinks their kids are the exception to the rule. The truth is, since you are around your kids all of the time, you start to get used to the noise they make. The rest of us aren't used to it.
You don't have kids do you? It's the exact opposite. You are aware of every little thing your kids do and every little noise they make. You don't get used to it, you become hyper aware of it.

For shits and giggles here's my youngest daughter(5 at the time) at Ice Age 4(don't worry, this was during the credits and everyone had already left ):

Spoiler:

She sat like that from the opening credits and didn't budge (other than to grab a sip of her drink). I find it hysterical that she doesn't move or make a peep at all, so yeah, I notice my kids through the whole movie.
Old 07-23-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
My very first job was working in a movie theater when I was in middle school, I saw all sorts of things people smoking, used condoms, people would pee in coke cups and leave it under the seat sometimes they just pee'd on the ground this was usually during long movies I think Lord of The Rings this happened a few times, baby diapers were common. People would be like this movie is so good i gotta change my baby and leave the diaper under the seat. Found a bag of weed (an kept it). Walked in on a kid receiving a BJ the funny thing is they went to my high school awkward hallway passings ensued.
did you ask for the free bj as well?
Old 07-23-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't have kids do you?
I think it's fairly obvious I do not.
Old 07-23-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

For shits and giggles here's my youngest daughter(5 at the time) at Ice Age 4(don't worry, this was during the credits and everyone had already left ):

Spoiler:
Aweee. That's adorable. You must beat your kids very well!

I went to the movies with my sister and neice a few times when she was 2-3. Never before 2, though. And it's always kids movies. We weren't allowed to watch many PG-13 or R movies until we were 12-16. So I doubt I'll be rushing my neice out to see Ted or something.

That said, there were a disheartening amount of kids in Ted. Might as well been a PG family movie.

I worked at a multiplex for a few years. Worst thing was when I had to chase kids into theaters to kick them out. And sometimes on Friday nights, the entire crowd would be loud teens, and it was miserable having to deal with the handful of adults coming out of a movie and spazzing out. Sometimes it was so bad that we'd have to stop the movie, turn on the lights, and go in and yell at the crowd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.