Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help with Sony bdp-s390 & s590

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I get some general info help and some setting help please?

First, I purchased the s390 and when I got it set up, I noticed there was no display on the front of the player. Maybe it's just me, but I like to be able to look down and see how far into a movie I am. So, I do plan on sending it back just for that.

However, the s590 clearly shows a display on the front on the player, but I have seen the remote and it's the same as the s390 and it doesn't have a time button. So, does that mean you can't click on a button and have it go from how long a movie has been playing to how long the movie has left? It's so much more intrusive to the viewing experience to hit the display button.

I'm hoping the s590 does allow you to see both time into the film and time left in the film on the front display, but why would they even want to get rid of the time button anyway?

Finally, the settings are definitely more complicated. Can someone/anyone also please help me with the correct audio settings for my system? I'm sure it's the same choices even if I get the s590 instead (although if there's no way to see how long the movie has left, I'm not sure what I'll buy).

For now, I still have an older receiver that does not support HD sound and I run an HDMI to the the tv and a coaxial to my receiver, both from the bd player.

Audio (HMDI)-I have it set to Auto not PCM, because it's going to the TV through HDMI and to the receiver with coaxial. Is this right?

DSD Output Mode Off
(I'll never be playing a super audio cd)

BD Audio Mix Setting-Set to on, but I'm not sure what's correct in "mixing interactive audio and output."

Dolby Digital/DTS-set to Bitsream (The other choice is downmix PCM and the guy who sold it to be that wouldn't be the right choice using the receiver)

DTS Neo:6 Set to off (I was told the receiver needed to have Neo and I don't think my 10 year old JVC does)

Audio DRC-Set to Auto (the other choices would be on or off)

Downmix-Set to Surround (the other choice is stereo and that can't be right)

Any help with getting the right setting for my system would be appreciated. We finally met a guy who's going to put in an HD receiver, speaker and the rest but we but it off until the fall when it's not 105 degrees everyday. I'd just like to have the right settings until we have the pros in.

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-12, 07:55 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Please help with Sony bdp-s390 & s590

I bought the BDP-S570, used the Amazon reviews by D. Yohn and SL to help me out, hope it helps you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WS4D4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=

I left most of the Auto settings alone, I did set Gracenote to OFF because everytime I played a DVD, when it was over and I stopped the movie, Gracenote wanted to spend way too much time gathering data about the movie title (for some reason). I'd just finished watching the movie, why would I want it to waste time to tell me what the movie I just got done watching was?

Alot of the settings might be the same with yours as it is with mine, I hope those 2 reviews help a little. -kd5-
Old 07-22-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
I bought the BDP-S570, used the Amazon reviews by D. Yohn and SL to help me out, hope it helps you:

I left most of the Auto settings alone, I did set Gracenote to OFF because everytime I played a DVD, when it was over and I stopped the movie, Gracenote wanted to spend way too much time gathering data about the movie title (for some reason). I'd just finished watching the movie, why would I want it to waste time to tell me what the movie I just got done watching was?

Alot of the settings might be the same with yours as it is with mine, I hope those 2 reviews help a little. -kd5-
Any chance you could please tell me about the front display?

Does it only go forward during the movie or can it also be set to show how much time is left in a film as well? If so, how since I don't see the time button.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5

I went through 11 pages and over 100 reviews and I couldn't find the information that I was looking for and that you said was there. I found zip about the questions that I asked about.

Can anyone please help?
Old 07-22-12, 09:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Any chance you could please tell me about the front display?

Does it only go forward during the movie or can it also be set to show how much time is left in a film as well? If so, how since I don't see the time button.

Thanks.
Mine doesn't have a time button, was not even aware something like that (showing time remaining) existed. Mine has Top Menu and Pop/Up Menu, not entirely sure what Top Menu does as I don't have any blu-rays to test it with. Pop/Up Menu just brings up the DVD's menu. As far as time left, if you know how long the movie is, then time played should give you an idea as to the time remaining. The S570 has the display which shows time played.

Sorry you couldn't find the information you were looking for in those 2 reviews I referenced (2nd & 3rd reviews), and I also know that the instructions in the manual aren't as clear as they should be. Beyond that, I'm as much in the dark as you are. -kd5-
Old 07-23-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
Mine doesn't have a time button, was not even aware something like that (showing time remaining) existed. Mine has Top Menu and Pop/Up Menu, not entirely sure what Top Menu does as I don't have any blu-rays to test it with. Pop/Up Menu just brings up the DVD's menu. As far as time left, if you know how long the movie is, then time played should give you an idea as to the time remaining. The S570 has the display which shows time played.

Sorry you couldn't find the information you were looking for in those 2 reviews I referenced (2nd & 3rd reviews), and I also know that the instructions in the manual aren't as clear as they should be. Beyond that, I'm as much in the dark as you are. -kd5-
As far as I know, it's existed from the time I bought my first DVD player and my first two blus both had time buttons. I can't see the point in taking away features even if it's to reduce cost and thus price.

Really, what's that at most $15? If that. I doubt that sole feature which I think a lot of people like and are used to should be on the players.

It reminds me of when Sony took away the eject button from the remote. With only a single disc in your player, you have to put the disc in and take it out from the player. So having an eject button is really pointless.

But people were so used to it and a lot of people complained and it looks like all the new Sonys from after that period have the eject button back. It can be logically argued that it was a useless feature, but when you get used to something, you just expect it and it looks like Sony listened.

Now if only they could explain why they decided to remove the time button.
Old 07-23-12, 09:30 AM

My first DVD player, a Pioneer 525, had that time display feature. But none of the players I bought afterwards did. Nowadays cheap dvd players are $40-$50 so not surprised it's eliminated. Sad. Maybe you try toggling a Display button?

re: Eject button, on Philips/Magnavox players, you can eject by holding down the Stop button.
Old 07-23-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does your old remote work for this missing button? It might, even if it is from a DVDp. That time feature is something that has dropped from many players, even from onscreen display. Apparently they think nobody wants it.

Here's what I think on the rest....
Audio (HMDI)-I have it set to Auto not PCM, because it's going to the TV through HDMI and to the receiver with coaxial. Is this right? Not sure it matters. You are only using HDMI to the TV, and it may accept either type of signal.

DSD Output Mode Off (I'll never be playing a super audio cd) Makes sense.

BD Audio Mix Setting-Set to on, but I'm not sure what's correct in "mixing interactive audio and output." I believe this may refer to extras on BDs. IDK why, but the BD system has all these weird audio settings for listening to certain types of extras, the ones labeled "secondary audio". If you don't listen to them, leave it off. If you do, I would only turn it on when necessary. Most discs just put a director commentary extra into its own audio track, rather than "secondary" audio, so it becomes a useless feature, anyway. But many players limit some other settings when this is turned on, so I have mine left off, unless I actually have to use it. (although mine is Panasonic)

Dolby Digital/DTS-set to Bitsream (The other choice is downmix PCM and the guy who sold it to be that wouldn't be the right choice using the receiver) Again, it may not matter if the receiver can decode both. Except if you want your receiver to say "Dolby Digital" on its readout, you need Bitstream. Bitstream is generally what people want.

DTS Neo:6 Set to off (I was told the receiver needed to have Neo and I don't think my 10 year old JVC does) Meh. Neo:6 never sounded as good to me as Dolby's version (Pro Logic II), anyway.

Audio DRC-Set to Auto (the other choices would be on or off) Only if you want the dynamic volume limiter to be on to even out all the sound. If you want the full theater sound (explosions loud, dialog softer), turn it Off.

Downmix-Set to Surround (the other choice is stereo and that can't be right) Assuming you have a surround setup, sure. This appears to be for older stereo/ProLogic sources. It will output ProLogic surround. This isn't refering to Dolby Digital surround, which will stay Dolby Digital. (or DTS) Frankly, it seems a pointless setting, if the manual is accurate. ProLogic was designed for TVs to ignore the surround data, so stripping it out doesn't help anything.