Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL;DR: Despite tragedy, The Dark Knight Rises pulled in $30.6 million at midnight, making it the second highest midnight opening ever.

Originally Posted by Deadline
Warner Bros sources tell me now they’re seeing no decrease in movie ticket grosses for The Dark Knight Rises. “What happened in Colorado is a tragedy, make no mistake about it. But East Coast numbers are coming in like nothing ever happened. We grossed half a million dollars by 10 AM just in Manhattan.” One reason for that is because most of today’s grosses, and a good portion of this weekend’s, consisted of $30M in pre-sales. So whether moviegoers show up or not to the theaters doesn’t matter: they still paid for their tickets. The real-time effect of the Aurora movie theater shooting likely won’t be felt at the box office until Saturday at the earliest and more likely Sunday and next week and next weekend as pre-release sales decrease. “One incident, as horrific as it is, does not necessarily cause people to want to change their patterns,” a Warner Bros exec explained to me. “Young people still want to go to movie theaters and they still want to see this movie.”

Meanwhile, the official North American midnights number for The Dark Knight Rises is public now: it opened with $30.640M from 3,825 locations (for $8,010 per location). Included in the overall total are IMAX grosses of $2.232M from 330 locations (for $7,041 per location). This 2D midnights number shatters the $18.4M midnights generated by 3D Marvel’s The Avengers earlier this summer. Still, with international grosses from 9 countries totalling $10.4M, that’s already $71M worldwide for the mega-pic before it’s even in wide release today. Remember that the largest grossing 2D North American opening weekend ever remains 2008′s The Dark Knight at $158M – and there’s no doubt The Dark Knight Rises will beat that. (Not adjusted for inflation or higher ticket prices). But can it beat Avengers‘ all-time $207.4M collected from 2D, Digital 3D, RealD, and IMAX 3D theaters?

At its widest release, The Dark Knight Rises will debut in 4,404 domestic theaters from Friday through Sunday, including 332 IMAX locations. Hollywood now believes chances are slim that The Dark Knight Rises now can beat The Avengers weekend record because of the fear, panic, and security concerns resulting from today’s movie theater shooting. [And, yes, I know it seems callous for me to post about the tragedy in relationship to box office. But this is an entertainment business website that tracks movie grosses.]
Source.

If you want to share your opinion regarding shooting that took place earlier today, there's already a thread in Other Talk about it. This is not the thread for that, but I do agree with Finke's point that the tragedy may and will probably affect TDKR's gross this weekend.
Old 07-20-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Wow - The Buzz Effect of Dark Knight Rises in Movie Talk Sub Forum!

Shooting In Colorado at DARK KNIGHT RISES screening

So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week?

Weekend Box Office (7/20-7/22):The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)-The Reviews Thread

The Dark Knight Rises(Nolan)
Old 07-20-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nikki Finke is a fucking moron, especially after reading her deplorable headlines this morning.

This will still be huge, though.
Old 07-20-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It probably won't do 200 mil but i don't think this event will have that huge a dent. if it opens under say 120 then we can say it did
Old 07-20-12, 03:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm guessing that most people pre-ordered their tickets for this weekend.
Old 07-20-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thread title should have been "The Dark Knight gases the competition and kills his way to victory."
Old 07-20-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Thread title should have been "The Dark Knight gases the competition and kills his way to victory."
I'm so glad that the internet is a place for make light of such things. As it should be.

Remember Columbine? That killed my buzz, bro.
Old 07-20-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm guessing that most people pre-ordered their tickets for this weekend.
Nah. I'll go tomorrow morning. I'm sure it'll be sold out. But the theater-to-population ratio is so high that I hardly ever have a hard time getting into any movie. I have 7-10 20 screen theaters within ten-or-so miles.

I'll just stay away from the mall theaters. They always seem to be the busiest.

And 2008 is a blur. But I remember being excited to see Batman back then, but it took me nearly two months to get around to it. Funny, because it turned out to be such a great movie.
Old 07-20-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reports are saying this did around $80-85m today. By comparison, The Avengers did $62.1m on its first Friday.
Old 07-20-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

WARNER BROS. PULLS "DARK KNIGHT RISES" TV SPOTS

During Thursday's midnight release of "The Dark Knight Rises" at Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora, Colorado, a masked gunman entered the theater and opened fire, resulting in 12 fatalities and 59 injuries. According to ABC News, the tragic incident is the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, and although Warner Bros. initially stated that the shooting would not hinder the release of the anticipated summer blockbuster, a red carpet premiere and cast interviews in Paris have already been cancelled. Now, Variety reports the studio has pulled TV and radio spots advertising the film that were scheduled to run over the weekend.

Warner Bros. is expected to communicate with media partners about long-term plans for the highly anticipated final chapter in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The tragedy has caused the studio to reevaluate its entire marketing campaign, pulling millions of dollars worth of advertising in a move which may be indicative of how much the shooting will affect what is arguably Warner's biggest film of the year.

Sources report that in some cases, "The Dark Knight Rises" television spots will be replaced by advertisements for other Warner Bros. or Time Warner products.
Comic Book Resources
Old 07-20-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That just seems like a move to say "look at us, we're being respectful!" given that everyone is going to see the movie regardless of advertising at this point.
Old 07-20-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Warner will pull it out, given that all television news channels are promoting this new poster (free promo from Warner) for The Dark Knight Rises

*subject for DC comics trademark?

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
WARNER BROS. PULLS "DARK KNIGHT RISES" TV SPOTS

During Thursday's midnight release of "The Dark Knight Rises" at Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora, Colorado, a masked gunman entered the theater and opened fire, resulting in 12 fatalities and 59 injuries. According to ABC News, the tragic incident is the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, and although Warner Bros. initially stated that the shooting would not hinder the release of the anticipated summer blockbuster, a red carpet premiere and cast interviews in Paris have already been cancelled. Now, Variety reports the studio has pulled TV and radio spots advertising the film that were scheduled to run over the weekend.

Warner Bros. is expected to communicate with media partners about long-term plans for the highly anticipated final chapter in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The tragedy has caused the studio to reevaluate its entire marketing campaign, pulling millions of dollars worth of advertising in a move which may be indicative of how much the shooting will affect what is arguably Warner's biggest film of the year.

Sources report that in some cases, "The Dark Knight Rises" television spots will be replaced by advertisements for other Warner Bros. or Time Warner products
Comic Book Resources
Old 07-20-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That just seems like a move to say "look at us, we're being respectful!" given that everyone is going to see the movie regardless of advertising at this point.
They also may not report box office numbers either:

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just been told by a Warner Bros spokeswoman that the studio may do this “out of sensitivity to people”. Through midday today the studio was reporting The Dark Knight Rises grosses internationally and domestically as usual. Now it may suspend its box office reporting all weekend for Christopher Nolan’s final Batman trilogy installment. A final decision has not yet been made. It would be a highly unusual step for a company in the movie business that’s part of publicly owned Time Warner. And it is certainly the studio’s right to stay mute the rest of the weekend. However, the numbers will still get out because every Hollywood studio follows Rentrak’s reporting of grosses. So rival studios will tell reporters like me how The Dark Knight Rises is doing.
A commenter on Deadline hit the nail on the head: "I like the idea of the gesture. This way they can avoid having to make any form of comment about something as ‘trivial’ as box office in the face of the tragedy in Colorado. The box office is still vitally important to them but avoiding comment seems a good plan."
Old 07-20-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yup'. They can keep little spots here and there over the next two months, to keep the money coming in. But they made a good movie, that people are all ready to eat up.
Old 07-20-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Reports are saying this did around $80-85m today. By comparison, The Avengers did $62.1m on its first Friday.
Where did you get that $62.1 mil figure? BOM has $80.8 million for The Avengers' Friday opening.
Old 07-20-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Where did you get that $62.1 mil figure? BOM has $80.8 million for The Avengers' Friday opening.
I wonder if that avengers figure leaves out the midnight showings.
Old 07-20-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

195 mill for the weekend... not going to hit $200 mill... just a guess at this point but I can't see it making more than that based on the reports that are out there... Still great though; Never had a summer like this with 2 movies doing that kind of business that I can recall.
Old 07-20-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadline is reporting:

FRIDAY 6 PM, 9TH UPDATE: No major changes to report except that The Dark Knight Rises is running less today than Marvel’s The Avengersbut had more midnight business. So the two films are running neck and neck. Here are the Top Five films as of 6 PM:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]
Friday $80M, Weekend $180M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]
Friday $7.5M, Weekend $25M, Cume $93.4M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [4,318 Theaters]
Friday $4M, Weekend $14M, Cume $231.7M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]
Friday $3.6M, Weekend $12M, Cume $182.4M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.5M, Cume $211.2M
Old 07-20-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Only a $180m opening? Somebody's getting fired.
Old 07-20-12, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
195 mill for the weekend... not going to hit $200 mill...
Even if it doesn't hit the Avengers numbers, won't it still have technically done more business, since it doesn't have 3D artificially inflating its ticket prices?

See, this is what I don't get. It will no doubt have more viewers than The Avengers, but someone it won't be seen as a success for some ridiculous reason like 3D ticket prices.
Old 07-20-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Deep down nobody really cares except some studio execs.

I didn't like The Avengers, I haven't seen TDKR -- so I don't know who to be pulling for or why I'd personally ever care. They're both hugely successful.
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Only a $180m opening? Somebody's getting fired.
unless everyone pre bought tickets in advance and just didn't go. thats still a good number for many saying that the incident in Co would hurt the box office
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Even if it doesn't hit the Avengers numbers, won't it still have technically done more business, since it doesn't have 3D artificially inflating its ticket prices?

See, this is what I don't get. It will no doubt have more viewers than The Avengers, but someone it won't be seen as a success for some ridiculous reason like 3D ticket prices.
Not a bad point...but would you rather make a million dollars and have say 100,000 sales or make $750,000 and make 250,000 sales?
Old 07-20-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

Do you now realize why studios go bonkers over 3D? It's a money maker despite having a lower audience turnout. Let's do a quick math equation:

The Avengers did $208M its opening weekend. 51% of that revenue came from 3D, IMAX and other premium format showings. Let's break that down further:

$105 / $14 (average cost of a 3D ticket) = 7.5 million saw the film in 3D.
$103 / $10 (average cost of a 2D ticket) = 10.3 million saw the film in 2D.

So close to 18 million Americans saw The Avengers on its opening weekend. Now if Disney/Marvel didn't post-convert the film into 3D, the film would've made closer to $180M. If The Dark Knight Rises does $180M, in reality, the same amount of people saw both films. Marvel gets the better end of the money deal as more people were willing to spring for a premium experience.
Old 07-20-12, 08:52 PM
Banned

Just glad that Nolan has enough pull that Warner can't force him to employ this 3D nonsense despite the "financial loss".

Too bad he's one of the few directors with that much power in Hollywood.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.