DVD Talk
Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Weekend Box Office (7/20 - 7/22): The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme

Matthew Chmiel
07-20-12, 03:27 PM
TL;DR: Despite tragedy, The Dark Knight Rises pulled in $30.6 million at midnight, making it the second highest midnight opening ever.

Warner Bros sources tell me now they’re seeing no decrease in movie ticket grosses for The Dark Knight Rises. “What happened in Colorado is a tragedy, make no mistake about it. But East Coast numbers are coming in like nothing ever happened. We grossed half a million dollars by 10 AM just in Manhattan.” One reason for that is because most of today’s grosses, and a good portion of this weekend’s, consisted of $30M in pre-sales. So whether moviegoers show up or not to the theaters doesn’t matter: they still paid for their tickets. The real-time effect of the Aurora movie theater shooting likely won’t be felt at the box office until Saturday at the earliest and more likely Sunday and next week and next weekend as pre-release sales decrease. “One incident, as horrific as it is, does not necessarily cause people to want to change their patterns,” a Warner Bros exec explained to me. “Young people still want to go to movie theaters and they still want to see this movie.”

Meanwhile, the official North American midnights number for The Dark Knight Rises is public now: it opened with $30.640M from 3,825 locations (for $8,010 per location). Included in the overall total are IMAX grosses of $2.232M from 330 locations (for $7,041 per location). This 2D midnights number shatters the $18.4M midnights generated by 3D Marvel’s The Avengers earlier this summer. Still, with international grosses from 9 countries totalling $10.4M, that’s already $71M worldwide for the mega-pic before it’s even in wide release today. Remember that the largest grossing 2D North American opening weekend ever remains 2008′s The Dark Knight at $158M – and there’s no doubt The Dark Knight Rises will beat that. (Not adjusted for inflation or higher ticket prices). But can it beat Avengers‘ all-time $207.4M collected from 2D, Digital 3D, RealD, and IMAX 3D theaters?

At its widest release, The Dark Knight Rises will debut in 4,404 domestic theaters from Friday through Sunday, including 332 IMAX locations. Hollywood now believes chances are slim that The Dark Knight Rises now can beat The Avengers weekend record because of the fear, panic, and security concerns resulting from today’s movie theater shooting. [And, yes, I know it seems callous for me to post about the tragedy in relationship to box office. But this is an entertainment business website that tracks movie grosses.]

Source. (http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/dark-knight-rises-banks-25m-pre-sales-and-85-ticket-sales-more-b-o-records-scalpers-brinks-trucks-than-avengers/)

If you want to share your opinion regarding shooting that took place earlier today, there's already a thread in Other Talk (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/603356-gunman-opens-fire-midnight-dkr-crowd-kills-10-12-a.html) about it. This is not the thread for that, but I do agree with Finke's point that the tragedy may and will probably affect TDKR's gross this weekend.

xage
07-20-12, 03:39 PM
Wow - The Buzz Effect of Dark Knight Rises in Movie Talk Sub Forum!

Shooting In Colorado at DARK KNIGHT RISES screening (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603360-shooting-colorado-dark-knight-rises-screening.html)

So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603231-so-whos-watching-batman-begins-dark-knight-week.html)

Weekend Box Office (7/20-7/22):The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603362-weekend-box-office-7-20-7-22-dark-knight-reigns-supreme.html)

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)-The Reviews Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603255-dark-knight-rises-nolan-2012-reviews-thread.html)

The Dark Knight Rises(Nolan) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan.html)

islandclaws
07-20-12, 03:54 PM
Nikki Finke is a fucking moron, especially after reading her deplorable headlines this morning.

This will still be huge, though.

Rypro 525
07-20-12, 04:04 PM
It probably won't do 200 mil but i don't think this event will have that huge a dent. if it opens under say 120 then we can say it did

Groucho
07-20-12, 04:27 PM
I'm guessing that most people pre-ordered their tickets for this weekend.

LosingMyMind
07-20-12, 04:39 PM
Thread title should have been "The Dark Knight gases the competition and kills his way to victory." :up:

Troy Stiffler
07-20-12, 04:42 PM
Thread title should have been "The Dark Knight gases the competition and kills his way to victory." :up:

I'm so glad that the internet is a place for make light of such things. As it should be.

Remember Columbine? That killed my buzz, bro.

Troy Stiffler
07-20-12, 04:45 PM
I'm guessing that most people pre-ordered their tickets for this weekend.

Nah. I'll go tomorrow morning. I'm sure it'll be sold out. But the theater-to-population ratio is so high that I hardly ever have a hard time getting into any movie. I have 7-10 20 screen theaters within ten-or-so miles.

I'll just stay away from the mall theaters. They always seem to be the busiest.

And 2008 is a blur. But I remember being excited to see Batman back then, but it took me nearly two months to get around to it. Funny, because it turned out to be such a great movie.

islandclaws
07-20-12, 05:24 PM
Reports are saying this did around $80-85m today. By comparison, The Avengers did $62.1m on its first Friday.

The Valeyard
07-20-12, 06:32 PM
WARNER BROS. PULLS "DARK KNIGHT RISES" TV SPOTS

During Thursday's midnight release of "The Dark Knight Rises" at Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora, Colorado, a masked gunman entered the theater and opened fire, resulting in 12 fatalities and 59 injuries. According to ABC News, the tragic incident is the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, and although Warner Bros. initially stated that the shooting would not hinder the release of the anticipated summer blockbuster, a red carpet premiere and cast interviews in Paris have already been cancelled. Now, Variety reports the studio has pulled TV and radio spots advertising the film that were scheduled to run over the weekend.

Warner Bros. is expected to communicate with media partners about long-term plans for the highly anticipated final chapter in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The tragedy has caused the studio to reevaluate its entire marketing campaign, pulling millions of dollars worth of advertising in a move which may be indicative of how much the shooting will affect what is arguably Warner's biggest film of the year.

Sources report that in some cases, "The Dark Knight Rises" television spots will be replaced by advertisements for other Warner Bros. or Time Warner products.

Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39981)

fumanstan
07-20-12, 06:55 PM
That just seems like a move to say "look at us, we're being respectful!" given that everyone is going to see the movie regardless of advertising at this point.

xage
07-20-12, 06:57 PM
Warner will pull it out, given that all television news channels are promoting this new poster (free promo from Warner) for The Dark Knight Rises

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/20/0720-james-holmes-orange-1.jpg
*subject for DC comics trademark?

WARNER BROS. PULLS "DARK KNIGHT RISES" TV SPOTS

During Thursday's midnight release of "The Dark Knight Rises" at Century 16 Movie Theaters in Aurora, Colorado, a masked gunman entered the theater and opened fire, resulting in 12 fatalities and 59 injuries. According to ABC News, the tragic incident is the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, and although Warner Bros. initially stated that the shooting would not hinder the release of the anticipated summer blockbuster, a red carpet premiere and cast interviews in Paris have already been cancelled. Now, Variety reports the studio has pulled TV and radio spots advertising the film that were scheduled to run over the weekend.

Warner Bros. is expected to communicate with media partners about long-term plans for the highly anticipated final chapter in director Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy. The tragedy has caused the studio to reevaluate its entire marketing campaign, pulling millions of dollars worth of advertising in a move which may be indicative of how much the shooting will affect what is arguably Warner's biggest film of the year.

Sources report that in some cases, "The Dark Knight Rises" television spots will be replaced by advertisements for other Warner Bros. or Time Warner products
Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=39981)

Matthew Chmiel
07-20-12, 06:58 PM
That just seems like a move to say "look at us, we're being respectful!" given that everyone is going to see the movie regardless of advertising at this point.
They also may not report box office numbers either:

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just been told by a Warner Bros spokeswoman that the studio may do this “out of sensitivity to people”. Through midday today the studio was reporting The Dark Knight Rises grosses internationally and domestically as usual. Now it may suspend its box office reporting all weekend for Christopher Nolan’s final Batman trilogy installment. A final decision has not yet been made. It would be a highly unusual step for a company in the movie business that’s part of publicly owned Time Warner. And it is certainly the studio’s right to stay mute the rest of the weekend. However, the numbers will still get out because every Hollywood studio follows Rentrak’s reporting of grosses. So rival studios will tell reporters like me how The Dark Knight Rises is doing.

A commenter on Deadline hit the nail on the head: "I like the idea of the gesture. This way they can avoid having to make any form of comment about something as ‘trivial’ as box office in the face of the tragedy in Colorado. The box office is still vitally important to them but avoiding comment seems a good plan."

Troy Stiffler
07-20-12, 08:08 PM

Yup'. They can keep little spots here and there over the next two months, to keep the money coming in. But they made a good movie, that people are all ready to eat up.

Mr. Cinema
07-20-12, 09:27 PM
Reports are saying this did around $80-85m today. By comparison, The Avengers did $62.1m on its first Friday.
Where did you get that $62.1 mil figure? BOM has $80.8 million for The Avengers' Friday opening.

Deftones
07-20-12, 09:31 PM
Where did you get that $62.1 mil figure? BOM has $80.8 million for The Avengers' Friday opening.

I wonder if that avengers figure leaves out the midnight showings.

d2cheer
07-20-12, 09:35 PM
195 mill for the weekend... not going to hit $200 mill... just a guess at this point but I can't see it making more than that based on the reports that are out there... Still great though; Never had a summer like this with 2 movies doing that kind of business that I can recall.

Matthew Chmiel
07-20-12, 09:36 PM
Deadline is reporting:

FRIDAY 6 PM, 9TH UPDATE: No major changes to report except that The Dark Knight Rises is running less today than Marvel’s The Avengersbut had more midnight business. So the two films are running neck and neck. Here are the Top Five films as of 6 PM:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]
Friday $80M, Weekend $180M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]
Friday $7.5M, Weekend $25M, Cume $93.4M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [4,318 Theaters]
Friday $4M, Weekend $14M, Cume $231.7M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]
Friday $3.6M, Weekend $12M, Cume $182.4M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.5M, Cume $211.2M

RichC2
07-20-12, 09:38 PM
Only a $180m opening? Somebody's getting fired.

Dragon Tattoo
07-20-12, 09:38 PM
195 mill for the weekend... not going to hit $200 mill...

Even if it doesn't hit the Avengers numbers, won't it still have technically done more business, since it doesn't have 3D artificially inflating its ticket prices?

See, this is what I don't get. It will no doubt have more viewers than The Avengers, but someone it won't be seen as a success for some ridiculous reason like 3D ticket prices.

RichC2
07-20-12, 09:40 PM
Deep down nobody really cares except some studio execs.

I didn't like The Avengers, I haven't seen TDKR -- so I don't know who to be pulling for or why I'd personally ever care. They're both hugely successful.

Rypro 525
07-20-12, 09:44 PM
Only a $180m opening? Somebody's getting fired.

unless everyone pre bought tickets in advance and just didn't go. thats still a good number for many saying that the incident in Co would hurt the box office

d2cheer
07-20-12, 09:44 PM
Even if it doesn't hit the Avengers numbers, won't it still have technically done more business, since it doesn't have 3D artificially inflating its ticket prices?

See, this is what I don't get. It will no doubt have more viewers than The Avengers, but someone it won't be seen as a success for some ridiculous reason like 3D ticket prices.

Not a bad point...but would you rather make a million dollars and have say 100,000 sales or make $750,000 and make 250,000 sales?

Matthew Chmiel
07-20-12, 09:45 PM

Do you now realize why studios go bonkers over 3D? It's a money maker despite having a lower audience turnout. Let's do a quick math equation:

The Avengers did $208M its opening weekend. 51% of that revenue came from 3D, IMAX and other premium format showings. Let's break that down further:

$105 / $14 (average cost of a 3D ticket) = 7.5 million saw the film in 3D.
$103 / $10 (average cost of a 2D ticket) = 10.3 million saw the film in 2D.

So close to 18 million Americans saw The Avengers on its opening weekend. Now if Disney/Marvel didn't post-convert the film into 3D, the film would've made closer to $180M. If The Dark Knight Rises does $180M, in reality, the same amount of people saw both films. Marvel gets the better end of the money deal as more people were willing to spring for a premium experience.

Dragon Tattoo
07-20-12, 09:52 PM
Just glad that Nolan has enough pull that Warner can't force him to employ this 3D nonsense despite the "financial loss".

Too bad he's one of the few directors with that much power in Hollywood.

Matthew Chmiel
07-20-12, 09:55 PM
Just glad that Nolan has enough pull that Warner can't force him to employ this 3D nonsense despite the "financial loss".

Too bad he's one of the few directors with that much power in Hollywood.
I'd be willing to bet if more IMAX theaters were in place, TDKR would've pulled in more.

I saw the film in true 15/70 IMAX last night at midnight and the showing was sold out within 24 hours of tickets being put on sale. The 3:15AM showing alongside today's showings all sold out earlier in the week.

auto
07-20-12, 10:27 PM
I think it's crazy that anyone doesn't think the shooting will hurt box office. Do you think parents are letting their kids go alone? I was in a 1/4 filled theater today. Two cop cars parked out front. :lol:

Dragon Tattoo
07-20-12, 10:33 PM
I think it's crazy that anyone doesn't think the shooting will hurt box office. Do you think parents are letting their kids go alone? I was in a 1/4 filled theater today. Two cop cars parked out front. :lol:

It's crazy how cowardly people can get. It's not like it was some Bane-style conspiracy group. It was one lone nut. There's a 0% chance it happens again.

mike7162
07-21-12, 01:34 AM
It's crazy how cowardly people can get. It's not like it was some Bane-style conspiracy group. It was one lone nut. There's a 0% chance it happens again.

Perhaps not 0%,but I see your point.

RoboDad
07-21-12, 01:41 AM
I mentioned this in the review thread, but it's worth repeating here. We went to the 7:30 showing tonight, in the second-largest non-IMAX auditorium in our local multiplex, and it was about 80% full (or maybe a bit more, but not much).

I can't help but think that the shooting was the cause of most of the empty seats, but I should also note that we didn't even buy our tickets until last night, and the showing (obviously) wasn't sold out at that time.

I wonder how many people asked for refunds versus simply staying home (whether out of fear or respect for the victims).

stingermck
07-21-12, 07:39 AM
Here on the east coast, I went to a 3PM Imax and it was a sell out. In fact all showings yesterday were sold out :shrug:

And:

Following the tragic shooting in Colorado, Warner Bros. has issued a statement that the studio does not intend to report opening weekend box office numbers for The Dark Knight Rises.

“Out of respect for the victims and their families,” the statement reads, “Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box office numbers for The Dark Knight Rises throughout the weekend. Box office numbers will be released on Monday.”

Jaymole
07-21-12, 08:25 AM
“Out of respect for the victims and their families,” the statement reads, “Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box office numbers for The Dark Knight Rises throughout the weekend. Box office numbers will be released on Monday.”

I'm sure the victims and their families are breathing a sigh of relief over this -rolleyes-

RichC2
07-21-12, 09:06 AM
Weekend estimates have gone down from $180 - $185 to $165 - $170.

Mr. Cinema
07-21-12, 10:14 AM
Early estimates from Deadline:

Here’s the Top Ten list based on Friday estimates:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]
Friday $77.2M, Weekend $170M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]
Friday $7.5M (-55%), Weekend $24.7M, Cume $93.4M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [3,753 Theaters]
Friday $4.0M, Weekend $14.0M, Cume $231.7M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]
Friday $3.4M, Weekend $11.0M, Cume $181.4M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]
Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.7M, Cume $211.4M

6. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 4 [2,606 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Weekend $4.6M, Cume $102.2M

7. Savages (Universal) Week 3 [2,336 Theaters]
Friday $1.0M, Weekend $3.6M, Cume $40.2M

8. Madea’s Witness Protection (TPerry/Lionsgate) Week 4 [1,540 Theaters]
Friday $800K, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $60.5M

9. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 9 [895 Theaters]
Friday $600K, Weekend $2.1M, Cume $36.3M

10. To Rome with Love (Sony Classics) Week 5 [552 Theaters]
Friday $435K, Weekend $1.6M, Cume $11.3M

davidh777
07-21-12, 10:24 AM
No way this doesn't have an effect. Not just security concerns, but I think people will feel weird and insensitive going. I didn't get an advance ticket and wasn't counting on seeing it opening weekend, but I may have tried to squeeze it in. Now I don't really want to.

islandclaws
07-21-12, 11:00 AM
No way this doesn't have an effect. Not just security concerns, but I think people will feel weird and insensitive going. I didn't get an advance ticket and wasn't counting on seeing it opening weekend, but I may have tried to squeeze it in. Now I don't really want to.

Bingo. Security concerns aside, I think Joe Six Pack and his family might've been planning to go to the movies, but I can see this as being the excuse many will use for not going to the theater this weekend.

RoboDad
07-21-12, 11:18 AM
Speaking of security concerns, at our theater the staff was searching purses and bags at the entrance (where tickets are taken).

My wife always carries an oversize purse to the movie, so she can have some healthier popcorn, bottled water, and a small airline-type blanket - she always gets cold in the air-conditioned auditoriums. She was asked to show the contents of her bag, but the people were very nice about it. They even said "we don't care about candy or soda, we just want to make sure everyone is safe."

Spiderbite
07-21-12, 12:19 PM
Speaking of security concerns, at our theater the staff was searching purses and bags at the entrance (where tickets are taken).

My wife always carries an oversize purse to the movie, so she can have some healthier popcorn, bottled water, and a small airline-type blanket - she always gets cold in the air-conditioned auditoriums. She was asked to show the contents of her bag, but the people were very nice about it. They even said "we don't care about candy or soda, we just want to make sure everyone is safe."

What's funny about that is that the shooter supposedly bought his ticket and then got his guns out of his car that was parked at an exit door. Frisking this guy ahead of time would have prevented nothing.

As far as attendance goes, we went out to eat last night by the nearby theater and the parking lot was so packed, we had to park super far away from the nearby restaurant to just eat. I have never seen the theater so packed. Didn't seem to affect our area.

I plan to see it Sunday morning but I always see movies at the less crowded times. Going to a packed Friday night movie is my version of hell on earth.

Guru Askew
07-21-12, 12:38 PM
No way this doesn't have an effect.

So let's see of we have this straight:

The disappointing box office of Batman Begins is because people hated Batman & Robin. CHECK

Heath Ledger's death substantially boosted The Dark Knight box office. CHECK

The tragedy in Aurora is causing The Dark Knight Rises to suffer at the box office. CHECK.

Nolan's Batman trilogy: forever unaccountable for its own successes and failures.

islandclaws
07-21-12, 12:47 PM

The disappointing box office of Batman Begins is because people hated Batman & Robin. CHECK

The tragedy in Aurora is causing The Dark Knight Rises to suffer at the box office. CHECK.

Nolan's Batman trilogy: forever unaccountable for its own successes and failures.

I'd hardly call banking $200m+ after that piece of shit "disappointing".

benf802961
07-21-12, 12:48 PM
Here on the east coast, I went to a 3PM Imax and it was a sell out. In fact all showings yesterday were sold out :shrug:

And:

I went to a 2 pm showing in california and theater was 30% full.

Hokeyboy
07-21-12, 12:53 PM

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/crybaby.jpg

Guru Askew
07-21-12, 01:02 PM
I'd hardly call banking $200m+ after that piece of shit "disappointing".

I take it you're not a Warner Bros. exec or, you know, anyone with a financial stake in the film. Because they certainly weren't happy with $200 million.

But hey we're a bunch of rubes here in this thread and it all seems like a lot. I sure wouldn't scoff at $1,000,000 so I guess that's great box office too!

Solid Snake
07-21-12, 01:07 PM
it did make $372 million worldwide. A bit over double it's budget.

islandclaws
07-21-12, 01:36 PM
I take it you're not a Warner Bros. exec or, you know, anyone with a financial stake in the film. Because they certainly weren't happy with $200 million.

But hey we're a bunch of rubes here in this thread and it all seems like a lot. I sure wouldn't scoff at $1,000,000 so I guess that's great box office too!

I guess you are a WB exec since you know so well.

Personally, I'm beyond shocked that a studio exec would have wanted a film to gross more money. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Giles
07-21-12, 01:43 PM
I went to a 2 pm showing in california and theater was 30% full.

bet it was 35mm ... ;)

no but in all honestly what theater isn't playing this? In my neighborhood: AMC Mazza and the Avalon are playing this. one metro stop north at the Regal Bethesda, the Uptown screen and the two IMAX (15/70) screens on the National Mall are as well (the latter three being the most ideal theaters to see this at).

Guru Askew
07-21-12, 02:04 PM
I guess you are a WB exec since you know so well.

Personally, I'm beyond shocked that a studio exec would have wanted a film to gross more money. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Are you also shocked that "Spider-Man" did half of the total domestic box office take of "Batman Begins" in it's opening weekend? With only 3 years difference? 3 years EARLIER? THAT is why it was a disappointment.

Here we are only 7 years later and a likely $165 million opening weekend is substantially lower than what they were hoping for. How do you reconcile that with the belief that only grossing $205 million after several weeks is acceptable?

I mean, if it's not people blaming "Baman & Robin" it's people who are just in full-blown denial.

DthRdrX
07-21-12, 02:10 PM

Batman Begins DVD/BD and TV rights continues to make them a nice chunk of change.

Without good word of mouth on Begins, they wouldn't have made a billion with TDK. People got burned with Batman and Robin and stayed away. Same with Spider-man 3.

My Other Self
07-21-12, 02:12 PM
Batman Begins did not have the marketing push or at that point any real big Hollywood names to carry the film. I still recall seeing it opening day in the later evening and there was next to nobody in the theater.

The viral marketing behind TDK, as well as The Joker being the villain and the media hoopla surrounding Ledger's death certainly had it perform much better than BB. TDKR will be no exception although to say that the incident in Colorado didn't have an effect on its box office would be silly.

This is my most anticipated movie of the year and I still haven't made it out of the house to go see it yet. I just don't see myself in rushes to see movies like I did a few years ago.

Burgundy LaRue
07-21-12, 02:45 PM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/crybaby.jpg

I love you.

Paul_SD
07-21-12, 04:42 PM

Sorry, but the only aspect here I agree with is the 'memorial album' factor of TDK's massive BO.

B&R, along with the three underwhelming over hyped films preceding it, absolutely did affect the BO of Begins. Almost no one outside of die hard Batman fans was interested in seeing the film- until good word of mouth kept coming it. Begins started off slow, but the one of the big stories that summer (in terms of BO) was that the film showed unexpected legs. It was in the theaters much longer than professional forecasters were anticipating based on the opening weekend. It's stature only grew with the reception on home video. Warner was very heartened by it's performance, which is a big reason they gave Nolan so much deference in making TDK.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the lowered BO for TDKR actually was impacted by the shooting. Not for security or saftey reasons, but because of the associated after taste with all the negative publicity at the moment. Given the length of the film and the lack of the Ledger memorial/pop icon villain aspect, I NEVER expected the film to really challenge TDK- no matter how good or satisfying it was on it's own merits. But the shooting no doubt dampened some of the enthusiasm from normal people for seeing a (somewhat violent) downer action film. And if the BO comes in considerably lower than TDK, not just as was expected lower, then a good case could be made the carnage did negatively affect brand perception.

I've never been shy about criticizing Nolan (which his most ardent, uncritical fanboys usually take as a personal affront) but let's keep things in perspective. Sometimes things are out of an artists control.

Dr. DVD
07-21-12, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if TDKR has a healthy second weekend, as the people who might have been frightened this weekend might make it out then. I don't see Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill scaring up that much business unless their movie gets great reviews.

Nick Martin
07-21-12, 05:02 PM
But the shooting no doubt dampened some of the enthusiasm from normal people for seeing a (somewhat violent) downer action film.

To add to that, the film has such a pleasantly upbeat ending to it that people will walk out of it (if they enjoy it) smiling. It's a dark, downbeat film with a happy ending.

davidh777
07-21-12, 05:15 PM
To add to that, the film has such a pleasantly upbeat ending to it that people will walk out of it (if they enjoy it) smiling. It's a dark, downbeat film with a happy ending.

Thanks for the minor spoiler :)

Dr. DVD
07-21-12, 05:15 PM
Any word if they will revise the numbers down a bit further? My regular showing was about half full, but that could be due to the fact that it was playing on four different screens. From what I've read, almost all IMAX showings are selling out (authentic IMAX).

Giles
07-21-12, 05:38 PM
Any word if they will revise the numbers down a bit further? My regular showing was about half full, but that could be due to the fact that it was playing on four different screens. From what I've read, almost all IMAX showings are selling out (authentic IMAX).

as they should. I'm trying to disuade a friend from seeing this in 35mm.

bluetoast
07-21-12, 07:07 PM
bet it was 35mm ... ;)

no but in all honestly what theater isn't playing this? In my neighborhood: AMC Mazza and the Avalon are playing this. one metro stop north at the Regal Bethesda, the Uptown screen and the two IMAX (15/70) screens on the National Mall are as well (the latter three being the most ideal theaters to see this at).

Where'd you see it Giles? DC Air and Space for me.

xage
07-21-12, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if TDKR has a healthy second weekend, as the people who might have been frightened this weekend might make it out then. I don't see Stiller, Vaughn, and Hill scaring up that much business unless their movie gets great reviews.

After effects of this dude?

Dragon Tattoo
07-21-12, 08:39 PM
Can someone stop xage from posting the same thing in every fucking thread?

JTH182
07-21-12, 08:54 PM
I personally did not see Batman Begins in the theater because of the bad taste B&R left in my mouth. Big mistake by me.

and yes, can xage be suspended or something? It's friggin' annoying

raven56706
07-21-12, 09:05 PM
Movie theater where i was at had low lines during the day...at night, it was out the door packed

Nick Martin
07-21-12, 09:45 PM

In my case, it was 35mm or not at all. IMAX showings are sold out for the immediate future at the only theater I can go to.

Obey The D
07-21-12, 10:01 PM
Movie theater where i was at had low lines during the day...at night, it was out the door packed

Clifton Commons? Went to Rockaway yesterday for the 320pm IMAX show and couldn't believe how packed it was. Showed up 35 minutes early and it was a chore for me and my brother to find a decent seat.

DthRdrX
07-21-12, 11:09 PM
I personally did not see Batman Begins in the theater because of the bad taste B&R left in my mouth. Big mistake by me.

and yes, can xage be suspended or something? It's friggin' annoying

I saw it on opening weekend and was surprised how empty the place was, but remember telling my friend people could probably care less after Batman and Robin. People were clapping for the movie during the credits though.

AnonomusBob15
07-22-12, 01:18 AM
the incident will help the b.o., this film will play into September, and nothing else good is coming out. Publicity is publicity, not trying to be insensitive.

DthRdrX
07-22-12, 01:44 AM
the incident will help the b.o., this film will play into September, and nothing else good is coming out. Publicity is publicity, not trying to be insensitive.

I have to agree. I can't wait to hear what the drop is the next two weeks. A month ago I heard that they polled public awareness of the movie at around 13-15% of the public. Probably a lot higher now.

Why So Blu?
07-22-12, 01:57 AM
They're guestimating 165 million for the weekend.

Mondo Kane
07-22-12, 02:52 AM

If anything, morbid curiosity might set in for viewers who will keep an eye out for a "Gun-Fire" scene that occurs 20 minutes into the movie.
But I've noticed that all the media outlets have only been mentioning, "Joker,Joker,Joker". And he's nowhere to be seen in this movie.

People now have to certainly have applaud Nolan for denying Joker's presence in this installment for good reason.

raven56706
07-22-12, 05:11 AM
Clifton Commons? Went to Rockaway yesterday for the 320pm IMAX show and couldn't believe how packed it was. Showed up 35 minutes early and it was a chore for me and my brother to find a decent seat.

yea clifton.... clifton had barely any lines for the early showings (except imax)... then at 8 pm.. it was around the building packed...

Ash Ketchum
07-22-12, 05:17 AM

I'm confused. Why would you dissuade a friend from seeing this in 35mm? What are you persuading him to see it in? What are the options?

Wazootyman
07-22-12, 05:49 AM

So, were they so unhappy with the results of Begins that they greenlighted a second movie with a higher budget? That'll definitely show that Nolan and his money making ways!

Guru Askew
07-22-12, 09:55 AM
So, were they so unhappy with the results of Begins that they greenlighted a second movie with a higher budget? That'll definitely show that Nolan and his money making ways!

Well, TDK saw a $35 million budget increase whereas TDKR had a further increase of $65 million, or a full $100 million increase from beginning to end.

Yesterday I was reading a Box Office Mojo article in which a Warner Bros. admits disappointment in the box office while still saying that the opening weekend was enough to greenlight a sequel.

It's just one of those crazy Hollywood accounting things. You can see the budget increase was actually pretty modest compared to the increased budget they provided after TDK was a full-blown hit.

If you look at TDK through the eyes of a cautious-but-optimistic studio trying to squeeze a little more money out BB's performance it's not the craziest thing in the world. You have a film that actually seems smaller in scope (none of the setpieces, for example, are as grand as the climax of the first film, and you have stuff like the boat scene that is essentially an implied setpiece that never has to make good due to the story) and you have the IMAX stuff which could certainly be seen as a pre-3D-boom attempt at milking a little extra money out of ticket buyers using a gimmick.

As far as the villains go the 2nd film also played it extremely safe going from two obscure ones (which I feel hurt the film more than B&R) to two villains included in the two most-successful previous Batman films. Casting-wise Ledger and Eckhart were coming off of acclaimed performances but were still unproven as box office draws and as such were undoubtedly secured for reasonable rates.

I'll always call Batman Begins a box office disappointment because it undeniably was one. I won't call it a bomb or a flop because it wasn't. It was well-received by critics and the people who did see it and by all accounts it's done well on video (though the end-of-the-year sales indicate a similar slow burn, it wasn't, for example, pulling in the kind of sales Star Wars was) and its apparent to me that Warner was simply willing to let Nolan finish what he started, and in doing so they've actually successfully perpetuated the myth of "Batman Begins as blockbuster" which they couldn't spin on the poorly-received but comparably-successful "Superman Returns."

Setzer
07-22-12, 12:00 PM

No 3D and the Colorado shooting....that figure seems about right.

sauce07
07-22-12, 12:30 PM
At a very popular northern Virginia movie theater right now, the place is a ghost town. I'm in their "IMAX" theater 15 min out from showtime and it's 20% full. I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up around $150 mil.

Shannon Nutt
07-22-12, 01:19 PM

New York Times just reported $162 million. But those are still estimates.

RichC2
07-22-12, 01:45 PM
Amazing that there's a slight tone of disappointment to a movie only making over $160m opening weekend.

majorjoe23
07-22-12, 02:35 PM
I had planned to see the movie this weekend, but ended up not going. Not because of the shooting; my brother broke his ankle, which kept me in the hospital yesterday. My friend and Ioved our plans to today, then his dad had a stroke.

So the total should be like $20 higher at least.

Matthew Chmiel
07-22-12, 04:06 PM
Amazing that there's a slight tone of disappointment to a movie only making over $160m opening weekend.
Here's the kicker, before the incidents of Friday, the film was projected to do anywhere between $180 million to $215 million. Polling has indicated that TDKR could've possibly lost anywhere from 20-25% of its audience this weekend due to the shooting in Colorado. That's not saying that audience could show up for it for it later during its theatrical run, but devastating numbers nonetheless.

... and the film did less on Saturday and Sunday than The Dark Knight (which had a $158M opening weekend in 2008).

Shannon Nutt
07-22-12, 04:40 PM
Of course, we'll never know for sure, but I doubt the events in CO had much to do with this weekend's take....showings were already sold out for the weekend in a lot of places, so those figures go into the weekend box office regardless of whether those people came to the theater or not. For every moviegoer that did stay away, there was probably one who decided to go just because of morbid curiousity about the movie (although the film has nothing to do with the tragedy).

It's still going to wind up being the third-biggest weekend opening of all-time. It WILL be the largest non-3D opening of all-time.

Superboy
07-22-12, 04:56 PM
I went to an Imax showing last night at 12:30. The theater was filled to capacity.

It was a good audience too. No talking, no clapping, none of that shit.

My Other Self
07-22-12, 05:01 PM
I went to an Imax showing last night at 12:30. The theater was filled to capacity.What I would give to have a theater experience like that again.

I wish we had the Alamo Drafthouse out here.

I can also see $165m being disappointing. I remember the $158m TDK brought in 2008 dollars so I was expecting this to come significantly closer to Avengers money than anything. It sounds like it depends where you see this movie that there's an after-effect of the shootings since some people are saying this is jam-packed and others saying they're at showing that are 20% full.

The lines and the crows for TDK were just unbelievable, it really doesn't sound like this is going to come close to its numbers though.

Supermallet
07-22-12, 05:44 PM

Heaven forbid people should show their enjoyment of something with applause. What insensitive beasts!

JumpCutz
07-22-12, 05:47 PM

:thumbsup:

davidh777
07-22-12, 05:49 PM
Talking sucks, but communal clapping and laughing was one of the fun parts of The Avengers

Jules Winfield
07-22-12, 05:55 PM
Heaven forbid people should show their enjoyment of something with applause. What insensitive beasts!

When someone laughs at a movie, I rip out their tonsils. Intolerable!

Jules Winfield
07-22-12, 05:56 PM
Talking sucks, but communal clapping and laughing was one of the fun parts of The Avengers

It can also be the fun part of other movies as well.:jawdrop:

bluetoast
07-22-12, 06:02 PM
I'll never forget the applause after every showing of Fahrenheit 9/11. Packed for every show, even the lobby was hard to navigate, managers had to add extra times. I still go back as a customer and nothing has been as big as that.

superdeluxe
07-22-12, 07:03 PM

original estimates had it at over 200 million, but that was before the shooting.

Paul_SD
07-22-12, 07:22 PM
If the shooting is being considered a factor at all, then I would suggest it is more than just the shooting but the cumulative effect of the absurd behavior of fans prior to the opening (death threats over critical reviews that also made news) which seemed to culminate in a shooting rampage.

these things have probably tainted the 'brand' a bit (and I expect the studio to make sure the reboot distance itself from the 'dark knight' moniker just as they made sure this film retain it).

But 'normal people' also might not fancy sitting for 2 1/2 hours in a movie in the height of summer either for what the trailers have sold as a so full of itself, downer of film (whether it actually is or not).

PhantomStranger
07-22-12, 07:26 PM
People are not being realistic if they think the shooting had no effect on the box office this weekend. Casual people stayed the hell away from movie theaters this weekend as a reaction to cope with the traumatic event. All news channels basically ran the story for 24 hours a day on Friday and Saturday. Warner was expecting somewhere around $200 million this weekend if no massacre occurs, and now the reports say the box office will be lucky to break $160 million.

The Cow
07-22-12, 07:32 PM
If it had any effect, I would guess it's minimal in the big picture. I haven't heard anyone say they aren't going because of the shooting. More likely an overestimated BO.

Hokeyboy
07-22-12, 08:06 PM
If it had any effect, I would guess it's minimal in the big picture. I haven't heard anyone say they aren't going because of the shooting. More likely an overestimated BO.
It's all anecdotal, but I've heard tons more people (simpletons, morons, etc.) who have insisted they weren't going to see the movie this weekend -- for some, ANY weekend -- because of the shooting. People who give in to sensationalist fear like that probably should be shot, the more I think of it...

Hokeyboy
07-22-12, 08:10 PM
Of course, we'll never know for sure, but I doubt the events in CO had much to do with this weekend's take....
Patently absurd. This culture THRIVES on media-driven fear. A decade ago, people routinely cancelled travel plans with the government started issuing bullshit "Orange Alerts", just to whip up a little intimidation frenzy (not to mention obedience and compliance). Given the nonstop media coverage of the shooting, it's REALLY easy to see people clutching themselves madly in the faux safety of their homes, forgoing any cinematic activity whatsoever.

The Cow
07-22-12, 08:11 PM
People who give in to sensationalist fear like that probably should be shot, the more I think of it...
:lol:

Yeah, there is no way of knowing, there may be some. I just doubt there is $40mil worth of people staying away for that reason, but people are weird, who knows. On the flip side there are probably people going just for the hype factor as well. :shrug:

Paul_SD
07-22-12, 08:44 PM
Given the nonstop media coverage of the shooting...

I wouldn't have known this was at the top of the news cycle and getting squeezed for every last drop of blood they can get out of it if not for this thread. Things like this are why I got rid of my TV several years ago and haven't looked back.

Hokeyboy
07-22-12, 08:56 PM
If it bleeds...

Solid Snake
07-22-12, 09:01 PM
People are fucking idiots to let shit like this control there logic.

Artman
07-22-12, 09:31 PM
I'll always call Batman Begins a box office disappointment because it undeniably was one.

I just don't see how you figure that... Batman Begins increased the momentum of a series more than any other film had (or has since)... TDK's insane box office increase proved that. And even if strictly going by box office numbers...BB was still a significant improvement over the previous three. Superman Returns as you correctly pointed out, wasn't well received and the studio knew it.

Anyways, it looks like we'll be doing this all over again...only this time it won't be seven years, it'll be three or four. And the new start will have the advantage of coming off of these films...but chances are it'll still make less - and that won't mean it's a failure imo.

Regarding this wknd... I'd say the shooting maybe cost 20mill...who knows if it'll recover that in the coming weeks or not...it might just play out how everyone assumed it would before the Avengers escalated things - 450mill or so.

shadowhawk2020
07-22-12, 09:39 PM
People are fucking idiots to let shit like this control there logic.

;)

Dragon Tattoo
07-22-12, 09:40 PM
Anyways, it looks like we'll be doing this all over again...only this time it won't be seven years, it'll be three or four. And the new start will have the advantage of coming off of these films...but chances are it'll still make less -

No doubt. Personally, I see no point in ever seeing a Batman film again.

TheMovieman
07-22-12, 09:44 PM
Regarding this wknd... I'd say the shooting maybe cost 20mill...who knows if it'll recover that in the coming weeks or not...it might just play out how everyone assumed it would before the Avengers escalated things - 450mill or so.

I agree with this. I'd say w/o the shooting, it was headed towards a $180M weekend which is about inline with TDK OW adjusted ($174.7M). Also, I think it wasn't fear of going to the movies but an almost awkwardness given the events.

How much it makes total will depend on the weekday numbers, and the hold next weekend, as the media decides to leach onto whatever the next story is (for NBC it'll be the Olympics).

AnonomusBob15
07-22-12, 11:03 PM
all the athiests on the east coast couldn't give two shits, and I don't blame them. The shooting shouldn't be associated with the film.

The bible belt down here in the south feels a little different. Also, I had planned to see it saturday after work with all my coworkers, who are all Japanese (and have never been to a theater), couldn't be dragged now. The story ran all day on the news and now they are scared shitless. They were scared to go before the shooting, but I had talked them into it. A lot of talking for nothing.

But I stand by my remarks. The film will make the same amount of money as it would've anyways, if not more, it'll just take a little longer to get there.

if nothing else, this will forever alter movie going experiences, in OUR favor. I'm so selfish, but this incident really bothered me for its sheer stupidity.

Groucho
07-22-12, 11:30 PM
Why would somebody have been scared to go before the shooting?

The Cow
07-22-12, 11:35 PM
if nothing else, this will forever alter movie going experiences, in OUR favor.
How so? What is our favor?

Dragon Tattoo
07-22-12, 11:43 PM

Because America is a country full of crime and rape, according to the Japanese.

Supermallet
07-23-12, 12:01 AM

I think the ads offering free hot colonics during the screening might have scared off a few less adventurous types.

AnonomusBob15
07-23-12, 12:23 AM
Because America is a country full of crime and rape, according to the Japanese.

bingo, they are afraid of everything. They were all speaking Japanese looking all confused and the ONE who knows english well did an "air machine gun" demonstration and then they all covered their mouths and started shaking their heads. I was pretty pumped about taking them too. An irregular situation for sure, but just an example. My store was very slow, when shit like this is on TV, people stay at home, not out of respect, but glued to the television.

AnonomusBob15
07-23-12, 12:24 AM
How so? What is our favor?

stricter rules, less bullshit, quieter audiences. why is everyone being so difficult. oh wait......

windom
07-23-12, 01:23 AM
The film will make the same amount of money as it would've anyways, if not more, it'll just take a little longer to get there.

Don't the theaters get a higher percentage of revenue later in a movie's run than when the movie first opens? So won't Warner Bros be losing money due to less people going this weekend even if they go see it later?

PhantomStranger
07-23-12, 02:21 AM
Don't the theaters get a higher percentage of revenue later in a movie's run than when the movie first opens? So won't Warner Bros be losing money due to less people going this weekend even if they go see it later?
Yes

GreenVulture
07-23-12, 03:36 AM
If it bleeds...
We can kill it?

Deadman31
07-23-12, 08:08 AM
all the athiests on the east coast couldn't give two shits, and I don't blame them. The shooting shouldn't be associated with the film.

The bible belt down here in the south feels a little different. Also, I had planned to see it saturday after work with all my coworkers, who are all Japanese (and have never been to a theater), couldn't be dragged now. The story ran all day on the news and now they are scared shitless. They were scared to go before the shooting, but I had talked them into it. A lot of talking for nothing.

But I stand by my remarks. The film will make the same amount of money as it would've anyways, if not more, it'll just take a little longer to get there.

if nothing else, this will forever alter movie going experiences, in OUR favor. I'm so selfish, but this incident really bothered me for its sheer stupidity.

someone remind me never to enroll at Auburn University.

wm lopez
07-23-12, 08:29 AM

So this is like the little guy getting more than the big guy.

majorjoe23
07-23-12, 08:45 AM
stricter rules, less bullshit, quieter audiences. why is everyone being so difficult. oh wait......

That, or every time someone gets up to pee everyone will freak out.

Jam Master Jay
07-23-12, 05:23 PM
WKND BO: DarkKnightRises $160.9M, IceAge4 $20.4M/$88.8M, SpiderMan $10.9M/$228.6M, Ted $10M/$180.4M, Brave $6M/$208.8M.

Jam Master Jay
07-23-12, 05:25 PM
Fri $75.8m, sat -41% $44.9m, sun -11% $40.2m.

d2cheer
07-23-12, 06:47 PM
WKND BO: DarkKnightRises $160.9M, IceAge4 $20.4M/$88.8M, SpiderMan $10.9M/$228.6M, Ted $10M/$180.4M, Brave $6M/$208.8M.

So Spidy will top out at $260 or so... about 80 million less than SM 3. I wonder if the Foreign Box office can match the $550+ that part 3 did...(we need another topic other than Batman)

Ted is still really holding up well. It should make $200 mill+.

xage
07-23-12, 06:48 PM
As what I previously posted the final opening weekend cume of $160mil was a result of this :

After effects of this dude?

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 06:50 PM
Fri $75.8m, sat -41% $44.9m, sun -11% $40.2m.

Damn, the shooting obviously had an impact. The change from Friday to Saturday alone is astounding(ly terrible).

d2cheer
07-23-12, 06:52 PM
^ @ xage Enough of that crap.

:banned:

redrum
07-23-12, 06:57 PM
Oh God it only made 160 million, what do we do now?

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 06:58 PM
Kill Joss Whedon.

Supermallet
07-23-12, 08:48 PM
Because he made a better movie?

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 08:52 PM

-rolleyes-

Joss Whedon knows how to pander, I'll give him that. He's almost as good as Michael Bay.

Jules Winfield
07-23-12, 08:54 PM
-rolleyes-

Joss Whedon knows how to pander, I'll give him that. He's almost as good as Michael Bay.

Just when I give you credit for liking Inception more than Batman Begins, you take two steps back.:grumble:

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 08:55 PM
Just when I give you credit for liking Inception more than Batman Begins, you take two steps back.:grumble:

Supermallet
07-23-12, 08:56 PM
-rolleyes-

Obvious troll is obvious.

davidh777
07-23-12, 08:59 PM
What the heck is xage's deal that he has to post that in every thread?

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 09:02 PM
Obvious troll is obvious.

Yes, because anyone who doesn't love The Avengers is a troll.

Other than Thor, I don't like the Marvel movies. I don't think they're well directed or well-made, because Marvel obviously hires directors based on how much they will cost, and it shows in every single one of their films, other than, unsurprisingly, the Branagh-directed Thor.

Joss Whedon has very little talent as a director, and frankly, I've never seen anyone convincingly argue otherwise. The Avengers looks like a TV movie throughout its entire running time, and this is a major detriment to what could've been a good movie.

Supermallet
07-23-12, 09:03 PM
As what I previously posted the final opening weekend cume of $160mil was a result of this :

Mod Note: I sent you a PM warning already. You need to quit this behavior or you will be suspended.

Supermallet
07-23-12, 09:06 PM
Yes, because anyone who doesn't love The Avengers is a troll.

Other than Thor, I don't like the Marvel movies. I don't think they're well directed or well-made, because Marvel obviously hires directors based on how much they will cost, and it shows in every single one of their films, other than, unsurprisingly, the Branagh-directed Thor.

Joss Whedon has very little talent as a director, and frankly, I've never seen anyone convincingly argue otherwise. The Avengers looks like a TV movie throughout its entire running time, and this is a major detriment to what could've been a good movie.

You make inflammatory comments to anyone who disagrees with you on just about anything. You toe the troll line frequently. If mods could ignore people you would be on my ignore list. I will do my best not to respond to you in the future.

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 09:07 PM
You make inflammatory comments to anyone who disagrees with you on just about anything. You toe the troll line frequently. If mods could ignore people you would be on my ignore list. I will do my best not to respond to you in the future.

I don't see what's so inflammatory about saying Joss Whedon is a terrible director. I assumed that was an accepted fact.

Throwing Copper
07-23-12, 10:02 PM
Ted pulls in another $10 million. Up to $180 million. I'm surprised it's done that well.

It'll hit $200 million for sure now.

Tom Creo
07-23-12, 10:17 PM
I don't see what's so inflammatory about saying Joss Whedon is a terrible director. I assumed that was an accepted fact.

Reads like a bad case of butthurt to me.

Solid Snake
07-23-12, 10:20 PM

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not a Whedon fan but he's far from a bad director. Whatever criticism I had on his action from Serenity and Firefly. Was not in The Avengers. He improved for sure. Is he amazing? No. Is he pretty good? Yeah. Even better of a writer. I'm not sure what type of direction you wanted for The Avengers but he really fit well w/ it. Character drama, action, etc.

bootsy
07-23-12, 10:23 PM

No. I'll just say this I enjoyed the Avengers but I forgot about a half hour after I saw it or should say I didn't think about it anymore, didn't really discuss with my wife after we saw. TDKR, I'm thinking about today, still talking about it, discussing what certain scenes meant. In order to to make a better movie it needs to leave a lasting affect. The Avengers doesn't have this and never will. Like I said I enjoyed it and will watch it again but it isn't a movie that sticks with me after I watch like TDKR and the entire Batman trilogy.

Dragon Tattoo
07-23-12, 10:24 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. I'm not a Whedon fan but he's far from a bad director. Whatever criticism I had on his action from Serenity and Firefly. Was not in The Avengers. He improved for sure. Is he amazing? No. Is he pretty good? Yeah. Even better of a writer. I'm not sure what type of direction you wanted for The Avengers but he really fit well w/ it. Character drama, action, etc.

He's a great writer. I'm not knocking his writing skills. But as director, he lacks an appropriate sense of scale. He may not be a "bad" director, but he's certainly not a great one. Something like The Avengers deserved a director with some genuine talent.

It certainly deserved better than "pretty good", and IMO, I think you're being generous there.

RichC2
07-23-12, 10:46 PM
I don't think Whedon is a great writer or director, but he fit Avengers decently for what they were aiming for. The movie was brutally corny in a lot of spots and starts off spectacularly bad, but the tone was right and it was lite on its feet.

davidh777
07-23-12, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure this was already covered ad nauseam in other threads

mdc3000
07-23-12, 11:46 PM
Seriously, can we never post another picture of that murdering asshole - mentioning his name and posting his picture is only making it worse.

Dark Knight Rises did fine all things considered. I am sure it will have huge second and third weekends, since a lot of people skipped it this weekend due to the tragedy - there isn't much competition next week - The Watch marketing has been a joke and almost non-existent. Step Up 4 will do fine, but the last film limped into profitability, so I'm sure this one won't make a huge splash either. Then Batman will have Total Recall to deal with, but I'm still not sure if enough people are going to care about that one or give it a pass entirely.

Draven
07-24-12, 12:21 AM

It's not. In fact, it's your opinion. You do know your opinions aren't facts, right?

I saw The Avengers 4 times in the theater...which I have never done before. I could never see TDKR again and be perfectly happy. Nothing terribly interesting happens in that movie. Lots of speeches, very little action, hardly any Batman. I thought Avengers was one of the best movies I had ever seen and TDKR was merely okay but should have been better.

Luckily, this is one case where the better movie also wins the box office war. It's too bad Nolan dropped the ball a bit as he could have had a better finish. But I had a feeling TDKR wouldn't take the summer, just based on trailers alone.

Of course, that is my opinion.

bootsy
07-24-12, 12:29 AM
One thing I'm interested in seeing if and when the Avengers gets to it's 3rd movie if it's still putting up numbers like TDKR. My feelings are it probably won't. I just have a feeling this is as good as the Avengers will get is right now.

Paul_SD
07-24-12, 01:00 AM
One thing I'm interested in seeing if and when the Avengers gets to it's 3rd movie if it's still putting up numbers like TDKR. My feelings are it probably won't. I just have a feeling this is as good as the Avengers will get is right now.

we'll see. Avengers is unlike anything we've seen in the past because you have side movies building up to each entry.
I didn't see the Avengers as the first Avengers movie. I saw it as the climax to Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Incredible Hulk.
The second Avengers movie could function as stand alone , or a vehicle to establish and showcase new characters they want to build separate franchises around, or as here as the pay off to the next round of sequels.
Or any and all of the above.

Whatever way they go I'm sure the third Avengers movie will be the mother of all team mash-ups. I don't think they can keep upping the roster every film and still maintain interest or excitement, so I wouldn't mind seeing the next Avengers movie scale back into a smaller film based around some interesting character conflicts. Then the third film could goes balls out again and bring back the spectacle and ballyhoo.

Artman
07-24-12, 01:12 AM
Luckily, this is one case where the better movie also wins the box office war. It's too bad Nolan dropped the ball a bit as he could have had a better finish. But I had a feeling TDKR wouldn't take the summer, just based on trailers alone.

I don't suppose one making (or is that milking?) an extra 20% off of 3D charges had anything to do with it. I admit it - I overestimated you.

RichC2
07-24-12, 01:13 AM
This thread makes me wish I liked Avengers more :(

(Haven't seen TDKR yet, but it seems like for many people The Avengers was THE movie for the year so far.)

Draven
07-24-12, 01:17 AM
I don't suppose one making (or is that milking?) an extra 20% off of 3D charges had anything to do with it. I admit it - I overestimated you.

Sure that was a big factor, but I think the movie also had to be good enough to justify those 3D prices long after the opening weekend.

Artman
07-24-12, 01:21 AM
(Haven't seen TDKR yet, but it seems like for many people The Avengers was THE movie for the year so far.)

It's a very good, crowd-pleasing film... I wouldn't say it'll be my fav of the year or anything. But I appreciate the sheer achievement it was putting that kind of a production together. But, in the end you have to take off the comic-book glasses and look at them as actual films.... it's really no comparison, despite what the box office numbers say.

Supermallet
07-24-12, 01:24 AM
I'd say it's the big budget film of the year for me. I've seen several other excellent, smaller films that I wouldn't try to compare to The Avengers.

As for taking off the glasses, I agree. Take off the glasses and there is no comparison. The Avengers is a more cohesive, more enjoyable film.

Why So Blu?
07-24-12, 01:37 AM
Seriously, can we never post another picture of that murdering asshole - mentioning his name and posting his picture is only making it worse.

Dark Knight Rises did fine all things considered. I am sure it will have huge second and third weekends, since a lot of people skipped it this weekend due to the tragedy - there isn't much competition next week - The Watch marketing has been a joke and almost non-existent. Step Up 4 will do fine, but the last film limped into profitability, so I'm sure this one won't make a huge splash either. Then Batman will have Total Recall to deal with, but I'm still not sure if enough people are going to care about that one or give it a pass entirely.

Got a private screening pass for The Watch tomorrow, but can't go. I'm surprised they're screening it this late in the game.

RichC2
07-24-12, 01:44 AM
I'd say it's the big budget film of the year for me. I've seen several other excellent, smaller films that I wouldn't try to compare to The Avengers.

As for taking off the glasses, I agree. Take off the glasses and there is no comparison. The Avengers is a more cohesive, more enjoyable film.

I think that's what it ultimately comes down to -- enjoyability. I was actually pretty bored by a good deal of the movie (unless Loki was around, then it was cringe inducing). But that isn't anything particularly new to me, I'm one of those idiots that preferred eXistenZ to The Matrix (and Dark City to both) when they were released.

I also think there's a geek out element to seeing all the Marvel guys on screen together, I thought it was cool how they did it.

Supermallet
07-24-12, 01:48 AM
I prefer eXistenZ to The Matrix. Probably to Dark City as well.

Matthew Chmiel
07-24-12, 02:06 AM
Step Up 4 will do fine, but the last film limped into profitability, so I'm sure this one won't make a huge splash either.
Step Up 3D
Budget: $30 million
Domestic: $42,400,223
Foreign: $116,891,586

Step Up Revolution has the same budget and the added benefit there's more 3D screens across the world. It might not do well here in the states, but it'll do bonzo bucks overseas.

orangecrush
07-24-12, 09:41 AM
it did make $372 million worldwide. A bit over double it's budget.+ DVD Sales, + Blu Sales, + licensing deals, + video game sales, etc. Warner Brothers hasn't shed any tears over the profits they made from Batman Begins.

We are going to see DKR this afternoon using movie cash from a few of the Upgrade and Save titles bought at Best Buy. I wonder how many people are using promotional credit like we are.

Edit to add: Does anyone know how these movie ticket deals work as far as the Box office numbers are concerned?

The Cow
07-24-12, 09:48 AM

:up:

wm lopez
07-24-12, 10:45 AM
It's not. In fact, it's your opinion. You do know your opinions aren't facts, right?

I saw The Avengers 4 times in the theater...which I have never done before. I could never see TDKR again and be perfectly happy. Nothing terribly interesting happens in that movie. Lots of speeches, very little action, hardly any Batman. I thought Avengers was one of the best movies I had ever seen and TDKR was merely okay but should have been better.

Of course, that is my opinion.

Well said. I totally agree with you.

Dragon Tattoo
07-24-12, 11:09 AM
Well said. I totally agree with you.

You're in good company, then, Draven.

bootsy
07-24-12, 11:14 AM
You're in good company, then, Draven.

Very good company. I mean who wouldn't want the great, racist, flammable wm lopez backing you up.

Dragon Tattoo
07-24-12, 11:16 AM
Very good company. I mean who wouldn't want the great, racist, flammable wm lopez backing you up.

:lol: :thumbsup:

davidh777
07-24-12, 11:56 AM
rotfl Finally a new twist to the same old Avengers debate!

Ash Ketchum
07-24-12, 12:35 PM

:thmbsdwn: (to both sentiments)

RichC2
07-24-12, 04:58 PM
TDKR made an addtional $19.4m on Monday. Just a smidge more than Avengers (when school wasn't out).

ScissorPuppy
07-24-12, 05:43 PM
+ DVD Sales, + Blu Sales, + licensing deals, + video game sales, etc. Warner Brothers hasn't shed any tears over the profits they made from Batman Begins.

We are going to see DKR this afternoon using movie cash from a few of the Upgrade and Save titles bought at Best Buy. I wonder how many people are using promotional credit like we are.

Edit to add: Does anyone know how these movie ticket deals work as far as the Box office numbers are concerned?

From what I have been told, even though it seems you get the ticket for free, the studio has it on the books that the dvd/blu ray was free. The money you paid goes towards the box office. Most of the titles these free tickets come with are HUGE sellers in the past (that have made money 10 times over) or titles that don't move off the shelves very fast. The sales numbers may go towards the disc, but the money goes towards the box office.

bootsy
07-24-12, 05:52 PM
TDKR made an addtional $19.4m on Monday. Just a smidge more than Avengers (when school wasn't out).

And this is relevant how....

superdeluxe
07-24-12, 06:12 PM

Well this is a box office thread?

Solid Snake
07-24-12, 06:18 PM
+ DVD Sales, + Blu Sales, + licensing deals, + video game sales, etc. Warner Brothers hasn't shed any tears over the profits they made from Batman Begins.

Actually that'd be an interesting thing to learn more about. I'd like this answered as well if possible.

auto
07-24-12, 07:20 PM

Mr. Cinema
07-24-12, 08:03 PM
Not to derail this thread with box office numbers, but The Amazing Spider-man, like everything else, took it on the chin this weekend. Looks like it'll top out at or just above $250 million US. Worldwide it has reached $614 million. I think Sony is probably happy with the results considering the risk they took by starting from scratch. Now that the origin is out of they way, part 2 should be more action packed and I expect will do better business than this film.

RichC2
07-24-12, 08:05 PM
Shit, derailed the thread again, my bad!

Mr. Cinema
07-24-12, 08:05 PM

It is movie cash, so I assume it does count towards the numbers. It's a form of payment you are presenting to the theater to buy a ticket. They'll get reimbursed by the studio later after they've mailed the certificate in.

PhantomStranger
07-25-12, 12:03 AM
I've always read that movie ticket vouchers are eventually expensed under the marketing expenditure for a film and considered just another marketing expense, like trailers and ads.

Jaymole
07-25-12, 12:05 AM

Hey, save that crap for the....ooops, never mind :D

redrum
07-25-12, 12:12 AM

Oh my God, just a smidge, JUST A SMIDGE!? what do we do now?

bootsy
07-25-12, 12:53 AM

I guess making irrelevant points(excuses) about a movie making a certain amount of money because it was on a non-school night in the summer qualifies? Sounds like sour grapes. Just present the numbers and keep it moving.

superdeluxe
07-25-12, 02:44 AM
I guess making irrelevant points(excuses) about a movie making a certain amount of money because it was on a non-school night in the summer qualifies? Sounds like sour grapes. Just present the numbers and keep it moving.

Most of this thread was talking about how TDKR made less money because of the shooting, box office threads always have discussion on why certain movies make more or less (For example, Thanksgiving Thursday/Friday usually make more than non-holiday days).

auto
07-25-12, 06:57 AM

No need for commentary! Just the numbers and grunting. :lol:

RichC2
07-25-12, 08:46 AM

Pssh, I'm a numbers slut, I'm going to analyze the hell out of that shit.

The Dark Knight Rises made roughly $19,389,129 on Monday (a 51.8% drop from Sunday), in the middle of Summer, The Avengers made $18,898,999 on its first Monday (a 66.9% drop from Sunday), while schools were in. A very strong number for TDKR (TDK made $24.5m on its first Monday), but with all the back and forth between TDKR and Avengers, it was worth mentioning.

I've already said it multiple times that I didn't like The Avengers and haven't seen TDKR, not sure what I'd have "sour grapes" about, being analytical in a Weekend Box Office thread is nothing new. Sounds to me like someone is being ridiculously defensive for absolutely no reason. Box Office doesn't effect the quality of a movie and very few of us actually profit off the release of these numbers (probably stock fluctuations at most)

PhantomStranger
07-25-12, 01:11 PM
Box Office Guru thinks the shooting cost TDKR about $20 million at the box office this weekend. If you account for inflation, less people saw TDKR on opening weekend than TDK, which almost never happens for a beloved movie like TDK. The drop from Friday to Saturday to Sunday was stunning for a movie of this caliber.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Hokeyboy
07-25-12, 01:18 PM
The drop from Friday to Saturday to Sunday was stunning for a movie of this caliber.
Yeah, but let's place it in context.
Saturday sales for Rises fell 41% to $44.9M. That was a bigger fall than the 29% that the last chapter suffered. Given the bigger midnight gross component in Friday's take and the fact that it was a threequel with more upfront demand, the larger Saturday drop was expected. But Sunday for TDKR dipped only 11% to $40.2M. The 2008 pic eased just 9% that day so for the followup to be so close is a positive sign for the longevity of Rises.
The Saturday was also the first day after the shooting and the non-stop media barrage. That day more than any other probably felt the most impact.

TDKR won't outgross Avengers or TDK, but it'll do fine. :up:

superdeluxe
07-25-12, 02:45 PM
Box Office Guru thinks the shooting cost TDKR about $20 million at the box office this weekend. If you account for inflation, less people saw TDKR on opening weekend than TDK, which almost never happens for a beloved movie like TDK. The drop from Friday to Saturday to Sunday was stunning for a movie of this caliber.

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm

Stop analyzing the Box Office! Just report the numbers and move on!

JumpCutz
07-25-12, 03:11 PM

RichC2
07-25-12, 03:12 PM
Made $17,745,000 on Tuesday, $198m so far.

Here is how the year is shaping up. By Friday TDKR should be #3 for the year thus far.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8374/testexs.jpg

<s>Discuss!</s>

superdeluxe
07-25-12, 03:20 PM
Wow...TED did really well, as did 21 jump street. Safe House and Huntsman looks like they did fairly well as well.

Hokeyboy
07-25-12, 03:20 PM
TDKR pushed John Carter out of the Top 20. :(

Can I compare TDKR to John Carter 3?

RichC2
07-25-12, 03:24 PM
about a quarter of that list = R rated, kind of surprising.

Mr. Cinema
07-25-12, 04:48 PM
Prometheus has finally reached $300 million worldwide ($125 mil US). Decent, not spectacular. But even better when you compare it to something like a PG-13 rated Super 8, which also earned $127 mil US and $259 mil worldwide. Hopefully that final figure is enough for Fox to greenlight a sequel, which I think even the disappointed would still be up for.

Solid Snake
07-25-12, 04:52 PM
about a quarter of that list = R rated, kind of surprising.

Hopefully that means studios have more hope for that rating than they've had in the most recentish past.

xage
07-25-12, 05:59 PM
Made $17,745,000 on Tuesday, $198m so far.

Here is how the year is shaping up. By Friday TDKR should be #3 for the year thus far.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8374/testexs.jpg

<s>Discuss!</s>

Mod Note: Can't help yourself, can you? First the cross-posting, then the photo of the shooter from Colorado, now this. One more and you'll be stuck in suspension land for a nice long while.

The Antipodean
07-25-12, 09:29 PM
WTF, Xage.

Dragon Tattoo
07-25-12, 09:55 PM
Mod Note: Can't help yourself, can you? First the cross-posting, then the photo of the shooter from Colorado, now this. One more and you'll be stuck in suspension land for a nice long while.

How many lines does xage have to cross before he gets suspended? Snake got suspended for like a week for something relatively harmless in comparison.

Solid Snake
07-25-12, 10:02 PM
And you people get mad at me for telling him to get his ass back in the HD forum. :lol:

Mr. Cinema
07-27-12, 01:16 PM
TDKR is up to almost $225 million through Thursday. Boxoffice.com is predicting $66 mil for the weekend, which will put it at around $291 million after 10 days. I'd say $500 mil is still very reachable.

Goat3001
07-27-12, 02:34 PM
Prometheus has finally reached $300 million worldwide ($125 mil US). Decent, not spectacular. But even better when you compare it to something like a PG-13 rated Super 8, which also earned $127 mil US and $259 mil worldwide. Hopefully that final figure is enough for Fox to greenlight a sequel, which I think even the disappointed would still be up for.

Don't we already have a sequel to Prometheus?

devilshalo
07-27-12, 02:44 PM
Think Like a Man and The Vow made that much money? WTF?!

Daytripper
07-27-12, 03:15 PM

And don't forget, it's yet to open everywhere:

Spain 3 August 2012
Venezuela 3 August 2012
Austria 8 August 2012
Germany 9 August 2012
Switzerland 9 August 2012 (German speaking region)
Japan 24 August 2012
Italy 14 September 2012
Switzerland 14 September 2012 (Italian speaking region)

RoboDad
07-27-12, 03:15 PM
TDKR is up to almost $225 million through Thursday. Boxoffice.com is predicting $66 mil for the weekend, which will put it at around $291 million after 10 days. I'd say $500 mil is still very reachable.

Most of the recent huge blockbusters (including TDK) earned close to half of their total gross in their first 8 days. If TDKR earns $25M today, then $500M seems likely, but probably not much more (as if $500M is such a paltry sum ;)).