Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

ALL IN THE FAMILY - The Complete Collection [coming 10/30/12] - includes pilots!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ALL IN THE FAMILY - The Complete Collection [coming 10/30/12] - includes pilots!!

Old 07-18-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/All-In-The-Fam...hu-rd_add_1_dp

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fam...e-Series/17243

All 213 episodes of the hit show packaged together in a
much deserved celebratory collection with loads of extras!

ALL IN THE FAMILY:
THE COMPLETE SERIES

28-DISC BOX SET TO BE RELEASED OCTOBER 30
BY SHOUT! FACTORY

"Boy the way Glenn Miller played...Songs that made the hit parade...
Guys like us, we had it made...Those were the days..."

Los Angeles, CA; July 17, 2012 - On October 30, 2012 Shout! Factory will release All In The Family: The Complete Series, a 28-Disc box set of one the most beloved and groundbreaking television shows of all time. The first-ever box set release of the show contains all 213 episodes, uncut and in their original broadcast form. A wealth of bonus features includes a 40-page collectible book with essays by Pulitzer Prize-winning TV critic Tom Shales and USC Media Professor Marty Kaplan, a new interview with Norman Lear, the documentary Those Were The Days: The Birth Of "All In The Family," the documentary The Television Revolution Begins: "All In The Family" Is On The Air, the original All In The Family pilot "Justice For All," the second All In The Family pilot "Those Were The Days," and the spin-off pilot episodes of Gloria, Archie Bunker's Place, and 704 Hauser.

Those were the days. Few television shows have left as substantial and enduring a footprint on American popular culture as Norman Lear's masterpiece All In The Family. The revolutionary series looked at the state of the world through the eyes of an argumentative but loving family and gave us some of the most fully dimensional characters in television history. The jokes had a million targets, aiming at race, politics, sex and human foibles, but the humor was firmly rooted in the characters of Archie, Edith, Mike and Gloria.

Created by legendary TV producer Norman Lear (Sanford and Son; One Day at a Time; The Jeffersons; Good Times; Maude; Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman), All In The Family premiered on January 12, 1971. About a middle class family living in 1970s Queens, NY, the show starred Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker, Jean Stapleton as Edith Bunker, Sally Struthers as daughter Gloria, and Rob Reiner as liberal son-in-law Mike "Meathead" Stivic. All In The Family was No. 1 in the ratings for most of its nine-season run, and won multiple Emmy Awards.

Marty Kaplan writes of the characters in "Archie's America, and Ours," his essay accompanying the box set, "I would call them originals, which of course they are, but a share of their appeal is actually their familiarity, their resemblance to our own relatives, our own families' dysfunctions and endurance. For some of us, it's fairly amazing that we got out of our homes of origin alive and intact; All In The Family is our home movie of how we managed that and lived to tell the tale and to laugh about it."

In "Those Were the Days," Tom Shales' essay accompanying the box set, Shales proclaims All In The Family "the best situation comedy ever," and discusses at length the many ways in which the show was groundbreaking, including the fact that it was shot on videotape instead of film, and "before a live audience" rather than in an empty studio. Aware of the shock potential of the show, the network went so far as to run an advisory before the first episode, warning viewers of precedents about to shatter. Archie himself was groundbreaking, "a new kind of sitcom antihero, a warts-and-all character who sometimes seemed, especially in the show's earliest days, all wart."

For the writers, Shales notes, All in the Family was "a liberation, a chance to deal with people who had dimension, character, complexity and edge. But the audience got liberated too. In those times of women's lib and gay lib and other libs, All in the Family was TV Lib. It changed the rules, it changed the game, and it let a nation laugh at itself and its 'issues,' the better to face them and deal with them. All in the Family was a great contribution to television, and to the human race."

41 years after its debut, All in the Family still resonates. This complete series collection is a long overdue celebration of the enormously influential series and delivers fans something to treasure for years to come.

All In The Family: The Complete Series Bonus Features:
New Interview With Norman Lear
Those Were The Days: The Birth Of "All In The Family" - Documentary
The Television Revolution Begins: "All In The Family" Is On The Air -Documentary
"Justice For All" - Original All In The Family Pilot
"Those Were The Days" - Second All In The Family Pilot
Gloria Spin-Off Pilot Episode
Archie Bunker's Place Pilot Episode
704 Hauser Pilot Episode (1994 Spin-Off)
40-Page Collectible Book With Essays By Television Critic Tom Shales and USC Media Professor Marty Kaplan

Shout! Factory, LLC is a diversified multi-platform entertainment company devoted to producing, uncovering, preserving and revitalizing the very best of pop culture. Founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos have spent their entire careers sharing their music, television and film favorites with discerning consumers the world over. Shout! Factory's DVD and Blu-Ray™ offerings serve up feature films, classic and contemporary TV series, animation, live music and comedy specials in lavish packages crammed with extras. Shout's audio division boasts GRAMMY-nominated box sets, new releases from storied artists, lovingly assembled album reissues and indispensable "best of" compilations. In addition, Shout! Factory maintains a vast digital distribution network which delivers video and audio content to all the leading digital service providers in North America. Shout! Factory also owns and operates Timeless Media Group, Biograph Records, Majordomo Records, HighTone Records and Video Time Machine. These riches are the result of a creative acquisition mandate that has established the company as a hotbed of cultural preservation and commercial reinvention. Shout! Factory is based in Santa Monica, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fam...#ixzz20yqkhvHr
Old 07-18-12, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ALL IN THE FAMILY - The Complete Collection [coming 10/30/12] - includes pilots!!

...and discusses at length the many ways in which the show was groundbreaking, including the fact that it was shot on videotape instead of film, and "before a live audience" rather than in an empty studio...
I'm not sure what to make of this. It was certainly not the first show shot before a live audience. I Love Lucy was live. But the way this is quoted perhaps it should read, "...it was shot on videotape with a live audience."
Old 07-18-12, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ALL IN THE FAMILY - The Complete Collection [coming 10/30/12] - includes pilots!!

I'm in...When the inevitable price drops! Maybe Black Friday/Cyber Monday
Old 07-19-12, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Astrofan
I'm not sure what to make of this. It was certainly not the first show shot before a live audience. I Love Lucy was live. But the way this is quoted perhaps it should read, "...it was shot on videotape with a live audience."
Maybe it wasn't to mean it was "the first", but that live before a studio audience might have been rare at that particular time (January, 1971). I think most other scripted shows that were on the air at that time (and before) were on film and in an empty studio.
Old 07-19-12, 03:19 PM

I wonder if there's any chance of more Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman through Shout!, if they were able to arrange this. Even if it's only DVD-R or downloads.
Old 07-19-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Any chance this should would be a hit or even made today in the current political environment?
Old 07-20-12, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If those extras are exclusives to the boxset, thats a nice kick in the face from loyal fans who bought from day one.
Old 07-20-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Any chance this should would be a hit or even made today in the current political environment?
Laughing at a Bigot? I think that's pretty timeless
Old 07-21-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If those extras are exclusives to the boxset, thats a nice kick in the face from loyal fans who bought from day one.
That's why I don't ever by big name TV shows individually, because they pull that crap all the time. They did it with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"; "M*A*S*H": and "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

Why can't they ever have a deal for people who bought them individually mail in their proofs of purchase?
Old 07-21-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
That's why I don't ever by big name TV shows individually, because they pull that crap all the time. They did it with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"; "M*A*S*H": and "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

Why can't they ever have a deal for people who bought them individually mail in their proofs of purchase?
With M*A*S*H they actually released the finale separately with the boxset bonus disc.
Old 07-21-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I only ever bought the first two seasons on DVD so I'll pick this up eventually. It's too bad they didn't throw in the complete series of Archie Bunker's Place as well since it essentially is just a continuation without Edith (after season one).
Old 07-22-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
That's why I don't ever by big name TV shows individually, because they pull that crap all the time.

I know, but to NOT buy them individually is practically like biting off your nose to spite your face. The original seasons 1 thru 5 were out for years before Shout! continued the series with seasons 6 thru 9. That would have been a long time for me to spite myself, because I love the show so much.

Speaking of Shouts! seasons 6 thru 9 - I seem to remember complaints (I never bought them) about Season 7 (or was it Season 8) where the vision was really messed up (I remember it was the season when the Draft Dodger spent Christmas with the Bunkers, and Archie blew up - and not only was it visually bad, but they edited what Archie originally shouted about the Vietnam war). I hope they correct this for the Box Set.
Old 07-22-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll have to look into this...
Old 07-23-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

Speaking of Shouts! seasons 6 thru 9 - I seem to remember complaints (I never bought them) about Season 7 (or was it Season 8) where the vision was really messed up (I remember it was the season when the Draft Dodger spent Christmas with the Bunkers, and Archie blew up - and not only was it visually bad, but they edited what Archie originally shouted about the Vietnam war). I hope they correct this for the Box Set.
the press release notes "uncut and in original broadcast form"
Old 07-25-12, 12:35 AM

Nice to see more and more classics get the special treatment. Will def. wish list this one. I wish they would release the complete series of Maude someday soon!
Old 11-07-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'll have to look into this...
What did you find out, doing a comparison of Season 7's The Draft Dodger with the version on the Complete Boxset? The original complaints were that they edited Archie's curse, from "Goddamn war" to "goshdarn war," or something like that. Also, they say the visuals were "too big" (whatever that means).
Old 11-10-12, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

From the DVD Talk review of this:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/57004...mplete-series/

And now, briefly for this boxed set. I've already heard some rumblings from a few crazies collectors who are angry at Shout! for bringing out this boxed set. A few collectors who bought the earlier Sony sets (seasons 1 through 6) have made up their minds that they're not going to support this release because, in a nod, apparently, to the current sitting regime, they don't like companies that make money. To those collectors I simply say...don't buy this set. You don't need to. You already have all the seasons, and most of the bonus features here are already out there (a few are in 2009's The Norman Lear Collection set). Better yet: embrace the free market capitalist system and trade up. Sell your season sets on Ebay before the Supreme Court outlaws that kind of thing and get yourself this nice, new boxed set. You'll sleep better at night. I'd rather not be facetious...but I have a hard time sympathizing with any zealot, no matter what their beef, when it comes to television on DVD (and I've had my moments on that side of the fence, too, believe me). I grew up during the Punic Wars, when television was snowy, aerial-driven black and white, where if you were even lucky enough to see a specific episode again years later, it was most likely cut anyway for more commercials. And nobody made documentaries and commentary tracks and still galleries and 40-page booklet with essays on your favorite series. TV came and went without regard to "history" or VCRs and DVRs. Except for the stalwarts, it was as transient as a buttercup in a hot, dusty field. So for me at least, vintage television on DVD is all gravy, even in an imperfect form. If you had told me back in 1971 that one day, I could literally own every single episode of All in the Family on a couple of tiny little 45 records or something, and play them back any time I wanted...I would have called Marcus Welby, M.D. for you, son. If Shout! wants to put a few little extra goodies in here to get people to buy this set, so they can make a profit (how evil!), so they can make their payroll this month, so that more people can get hired at Shout! who will seek out other vintage TV titles to get released on DVD next year, I say god speed and more power to them, and to hell with your whining and your bitching and your pissing and your moaning. Life's too short, pal. Watch TV.

I also grew up with black and white TV, with antenna reception which was often horrible, and no VCR. The fact that I can now watch any episode I want whenever I want is something that still amazes me even though it's been a decade since I first started buying TV shows on DVD. I am happy just to have the shows. I don't need the extras.

I don't know what kind of packaging the DVDs are stored, in, but if they still have 3 DVDs stacked on top of each other all on the same hub like with the Shout individual season releases, here's a much better option:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...riple+dvd+case
Old 11-10-12, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't bite on this just yet...hopefully will wait until it drops below $100. Being born in '80 I don't have much recollection of this show growing up, but look forward to seeing it all.
Old 11-10-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I first watched this show in the 2000s sometime (whenever Nick at Nite started showing it) and really grew to love the series and have seen all of the episodes, and a good chunk of the Archie Bunker's Place episodes which was a sequel only mostly focused on Archie and the guys at the bar. All in the Family was very simply done and the show basically only ever used one set for the bulk of it's episodes but it's such a great series and the episodes have a message to them and even though a lot of the issues are dated it still plays out well. It has a charm to it that so many sitcoms lack now days. I really want to pick the set up but I have a feeling that it'll drop cheaper than what it's currently at.
Old 12-12-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Posted in DVD bargains....but this is on-sale at Shout! at 55% off for 89.99

http://www.shoutfactory.com/holidaysale

Still not the greatest or prices....but for those that wanted it sooner rather than later.
Old 12-12-12, 07:27 PM
Banned

Any word on what the packaging is like ? I really hope the discs aren't stacked like The Nanny sets.
Old 12-13-12, 02:10 PM

I'm wondering what the shift in the end of the box set is. I know that the sets, Archie, Edith, and Stephanie were carried over from All in the Family to Archie's place until Edith was killed off. What is the cut off for the box set? When they get Stephanie? When Mike and Gloria Leave? It's kind of confusing.
Old 12-13-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terminal
I'm wondering what the shift in the end of the box set is. I know that the sets, Archie, Edith, and Stephanie were carried over from All in the Family to Archie's place until Edith was killed off. What is the cut off for the box set? When they get Stephanie? When Mike and Gloria Leave? It's kind of confusing.
It's 9 seasons of "All In The Family."

Mike & Gloria (and Joey) left at the end of season 8; Stephanie joined the group for one season (season 9).

The series ends with "Too Good Edith," where she helps out at Archie's bar (purchased around season 7, I believe), despite her doctor's orders to stay off her feet.
Old 12-13-12, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
It's 9 seasons of "All In The Family."

Mike & Gloria (and Joey) left at the end of season 8; Stephanie joined the group for one season (season 9).

The series ends with "Too Good Edith," where she helps out at Archie's bar (purchased around season 7, I believe), despite her doctor's orders to stay off her feet.
I see. Thanks for the clarification. I may buy this set. I love this show.
Old 02-01-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/216916

Onsale for $90 until 9pm PST...12 EST if I can do math correctly?

Pretty good price....I'm 50/50 that I'll get it. Anyone else gonna bite?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.