DVD Talk
The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

OldBoy
07-16-12, 05:46 AM
Please continue pre-release discussion here. ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan-218.html)

Movie:
"The Dark Knight Rises" (Starring: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Anne Hathaway, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman)

Release Date:
7/20/2012

Rating:
PG-13 (for for intense sequences of violence and action, some sensuality and language, mayhem, Bane menace and unfair comparisons to the 1969 'Batman' throughout)

Running Time:
164min. (2h. 44m.)

Budget:
$250 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Despite his tarnished reputation after the events of The Dark Knight, in which he took the rap for Dent's crimes, Batman feels compelled to intervene to assist the city and its police force which is struggling to cope with Bane's plans to destroy the city.

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.2 (83,910 votes as of 7/22/12) ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:206 Rotten:32 (87% as of 7/22/12) ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/)

Metacritic:
78 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/22/12) ( http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-dark-knight-rises)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/56151"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/56151" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="349"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/scott1598/Movie%20Posters/a_DarkKnightRises.jpg

OldBoy
07-16-12, 05:48 AM
Please continue pre-release discussion here. ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan-216.html)

a few reviews in...

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:4 Rotten:00 (100% as of 7/16/12) ( http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/)

RichC2
07-16-12, 08:19 AM
Up to 11 reviews now on rottentomatoes, 100% and has a 9.2/10.0 average.

Jaymole
07-16-12, 09:08 AM
14 and 0 now...I like this quote from Todd McCarthy:

"Big-time Hollywood filmmaking at its most massively accomplished, this last installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy makes everything in the rival Marvel universe look thoroughly silly and childish."

Osiris3657
07-16-12, 09:29 AM
Anyone want to bet this doesn't drop below 95% on RT?

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 09:45 AM
Anyone want to bet this doesn't drop below 95% on RT?

You're on! I say it ends up at 94%.

RichC2
07-16-12, 09:46 AM
It's Nolan, so probably 93%

Daytripper
07-16-12, 10:51 AM
Oh boy, first rotten review. And the reviewer's comments and fast and furious.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/reviews/

Troy Stiffler
07-16-12, 10:57 AM
Oh boy, first rotten review. And the reviewer's comments and fast and furious.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/reviews/

Well, I was going to see it. But I just don't know now.

Daytripper
07-16-12, 11:04 AM
Well, I was going to see it. But I just don't know now.

I keep refreshing every second and the number of comments goes up 5 or so more.

TheMovieman
07-16-12, 11:32 AM
Comes with all fanboy movies. One negative review for The Avengers, a 3/5, has over 500 comments.

Larry C.
07-16-12, 11:42 AM
It's obvious this movie is going to be a dissapointment.

RichC2
07-16-12, 11:50 AM
That review was odd, I'm sure he has legit complaints against the movie but he writes the entire thing prenteiously, like he's above the movie, and fans, and movie goers.

Jules Winfield
07-16-12, 11:52 AM
Jules reviews The Dark Knight Rises!!!

At a later date.

Osiris3657
07-16-12, 11:58 AM
It's obvious this movie is going to be a dissapointment.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/267/441/c3d.gif

dsa_shea
07-16-12, 12:03 PM
Looking forward to seeing this but find it funny that a reviewer would compare the world of the Dark Knight to the world of the Avengers.

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 12:08 PM
Can't wait for more negative reviews. Love watching the fanboys heads explode at RT. :lol:

RichC2
07-16-12, 12:09 PM
Oh there will be plenty more before the end of the week :lol:

dsa_shea
07-16-12, 12:16 PM
Who really cares if some people don't like TDKR? Why so defensive?

Hokeyboy
07-16-12, 12:46 PM
Just as an FYI gang: People are posting "spoilers" in the review comment areas of Rotten Tomatoes (as well as IMDB, natch). Caveat emptor.

redrum
07-16-12, 12:47 PM
Who really cares if some people don't like TDKR? Why so defensive?

cause it's hard to believe those kind of people are actually among us

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 12:48 PM
"At times, the action is so massive and thunderously clunky that I might as well have been watching one of the Transformers movies". - excerpt from the the first negative review.

The review has 311 comments so far...and the review was posted about two hours ago. :lol:

Ash Ketchum
07-16-12, 12:54 PM
"At times, the action is so massive and thunderously clunky that I might as well have been watching one of the Transformers movies". - excerpt from the the first negative review.

Now I wanna see this. :D

redrum
07-16-12, 12:55 PM
clunky huh doubt that

resinrats
07-16-12, 12:55 PM

Seems like a positive review.

Daytripper
07-16-12, 01:00 PM
I love the Daily Mirror U.K. review: Bleak, black and brilliant (5/5)

Daytripper
07-16-12, 01:05 PM
Can't wait for more negative reviews. Love watching the fanboys heads explode at RT. :lol:

IMDB and RT have the lowest of low lifes posting comments.

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 01:11 PM
IMDB and RT have the lowest of low lifes posting comments.

The YouTube comments section strongly disagrees. -wink-

Daytripper
07-16-12, 01:22 PM
The YouTube comments section strongly disagrees. -wink-

True, forgot about those cretins. But was thinking mostly movie discussions.

RichC2
07-16-12, 01:53 PM
...be glad none of you have spent time in the Yahoo comments sections. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think "fucking morons".

Daytripper
07-16-12, 01:57 PM
...be glad none of you have spent time in the Yahoo comments sections. That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think "fucking morons".

Ooh. BRB.

Larry C.
07-16-12, 02:09 PM
One of the reviews on RT is Bleak, black and brilliant.

I thought they were review the Batman movie not Giantrobo...

DonnachaOne
07-16-12, 02:13 PM
I'd never believe someone posting on Yahoo could be insincere.

RichC2
07-16-12, 02:20 PM
Why would you? It's honestly pretty hilarious.

Gunde
07-16-12, 02:21 PM
....brilliant (5/5)
That word is used to describe pretty much every movie these days. Seems like if it doesn't outright suck its BRILLIANT!

RichC2
07-16-12, 02:29 PM
It's binary, 0 = crap, 1 = brilliant. Best scale to rate movies ever.

Shannon Nutt
07-16-12, 02:47 PM
Christy Lemire just gave it thumbs down:

http://www.mercurynews.com/celebrities/ci_21086520/review-batman-series-ends-epic-letdown

Nolan's approach is so coldly cerebral that it's a detriment to the film's emotional core. It's all doom and gloom and no heart. There is no reason to care about these characters, who function more as cogs in an elaborate, chaotic machine than as real people whose souls are at stake.

RichC2
07-16-12, 02:56 PM
That's sort of an issue I've had with every Nolan movie, kind of surprised she's just now calling him out on it. His characters are less people than they are pieces of a puzzle/"cogs in a machine". I have no real problem with it, though it is why I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight, Dark Knight was mostly process, Batman Begins at least had something resembling character.

Shannon Nutt
07-16-12, 03:03 PM
That's sort of an issue I've had with every Nolan movie, kind of surprised she's just now calling him out on it. His characters are less people than they are pieces of a puzzle/"cogs in a machine". I have no real problem with it though. It's actually why I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight, Dark Knight was heavily just process, Batman Begins at least had something resembling character.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about INCEPTION, which I thought was overly long and dull in many stretches. I'm willing to bet THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is a 2 hr., 45 minute story that could have been told in 2 hrs.

RichC2
07-16-12, 03:06 PM
I don't know about that, Nolan seems to use most of his run time pretty well, but it's almost always all plot and very little character. Now there is a chance that we get a superfluous chunk of plot, and I have a feeling the first hour which is supposedly largely housekeeping from TDK will make it feel like a movie and its sequel in one.

Inception over-explained things and had an overly drawn out action scene (Snow level), but is one of the few movies I enjoyed more on repeat viewing than I did initially.

bootsy
07-16-12, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much how I felt about INCEPTION, which I thought was overly long and dull in many stretches. I'm willing to bet THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is a 2 hr., 45 minute story that could have been told in 2 hrs.

No.

Shannon Nutt
07-16-12, 03:15 PM
No.

Yes. Well, maybe. :)

Cardiac161
07-16-12, 03:26 PM
Time Magazine review: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/07/16/times-review-of-the-dark-knight-rises-to-the-depths-to-the-heights/?hpt=hp_t2

Troy Stiffler
07-16-12, 04:08 PM
Time Magazine review: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/07/16/times-review-of-the-dark-knight-rises-to-the-depths-to-the-heights/?hpt=hp_t2

At least that reviewer said something about spoilers. Did not read.

PatD
07-16-12, 07:45 PM
I'm so glad to hear that
Cillian Murphy as The Scarecrow
makes an appearance!

"I told you my compound would take you places. I never said they'd be places you wanted to go."--Scarecrow (The Dark Knight)

Dr. DVD
07-16-12, 08:43 PM
Interesting how whenever a critic posted a negative review for Prometheus people took it to heart that maybe the movie wasn't that great, but with this one it's a sign they have their head up their arses. Remember, Ridley Scott has been mentioned by Nolan as one of his biggest influences

EDIT: The negative reviews each have over 500 comments :lol: This is quite amusing.

Shannon Nutt
07-16-12, 08:51 PM
Given that TIME review it sounds like THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is basically ripping off THE WRATH OF KHAN'S ending/climax, doesn't it? I don't think I need to spoiler any more than that. Yet no review has made the comparison yet. Reminds me of when TITANIC ripped off SOMEWHERE IN TIME's ending and no critic noticed. :(

Kal Varnsen
07-16-12, 09:10 PM
Eric D. Snider gets banned from Rotten Tomatoes for this stunt:

http://content7.flixster.com/site/10/25/18/10251881_ori.jpg

http://content8.flixster.com/site/10/25/18/10251882_ori.jpg

"Which leads me to Eric D. Snider. He thought it would be funny to post a negative review link on Rotten Tomatoes that links to his own site. He misrepresented his review link. (In case you didn't know, some critics post their own reviews, and my staff posts some -- it's about 50/50). By attributing the link to Film.com, he misrepresented that organization. This is not the first time he's done this, nor is it the first time his journalistic ethics have been brought into question. In our opinion, by knowingly posting a link that isn't a review (and he hadn't seen the movie), Snider has abused our trust, and therefore, his reviews will no longer apply to the Tomatometer."
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/news/1925558/the_dark_knight_rises_--_this_is_why_we_cant_have_nice_things/

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 09:13 PM
:lol: Snider is spot on.

Dr. DVD
07-16-12, 09:16 PM
^ That's the flaw with Rottentomatoes, it seems to entice people to post negative reviews for no other reason than to draw attention to themselves.

I am going to make a call that the critic for New Yorker will not like TDKR, as he did not like Dark Knight, the first Iron Man, and seems to dismiss anything that isn't scripted by Charlie Kaufman or art house fare.

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 09:29 PM
Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt
Just saw DARK KNIGHT RISES. I punched myself every time something awesome happened. Tweeting this from the hospital. #holyfuck

PopcornTreeCt
07-16-12, 09:37 PM
50 posts and no one here has seen it yet. I see it's gonna be like that huh?

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 09:39 PM
Ohhh that brings up an interesting angle...who will be the first forum member to see the movie and comment in this thread?

My Other Self
07-16-12, 09:58 PM
Ohhh that brings up an interesting angle...who will be the first forum member to see the movie and comment in this thread?Well, since Snake is living in his car and has no life I would've assumed he would've posted here from inside the theater but because he's on a temporary vacation from the forum I don't know.

RichC2
07-16-12, 10:18 PM
Just like Christy gave TDK a recommendation and TDKR a thumbs down, Joe Morgenstern thumbs downed TDK but gave TDKR a glowing review.

PopcornTreeCt
07-16-12, 11:19 PM
Ohhh that brings up an interesting angle...who will be the first forum member to see the movie and comment in this thread?

Supermallet?

I won't be seeing it till Saturday night so I suppose this thread will be 30 pages in by then.

whotony
07-16-12, 11:37 PM
I'll see it early Friday but plenty will see it at midnight so surely sometime shortly after that we will see a report.

Matthew Chmiel
07-16-12, 11:40 PM
Supermallet?
Isn't he still somewhere in Africa or wherever he was going?

Superboy
07-17-12, 12:39 AM

I've seen so many movies, where I sat there and thought "no, wait! bring that scene back! let us bask in that scene! let the audience just sit there in awe for 5 minutes. Don't make us blink and miss it!".

That's how I feel Nolan approaches his movies. Even when the action is fast paced and furious (like memento), we get to sit there and just take it all in, just really sink into that world and its imaginary characters and setting.

Superboy
07-17-12, 12:48 AM
Just like Christy gave TDK a recommendation and TDKR a thumbs down, Joe Morgenstern thumbs downed TDK but gave TDKR a glowing review.

I agreed with his review. Batman himself felt really flat in TDK.

Daytripper
07-17-12, 05:56 AM
OMG, Howard Stern is talking about Marshall Fine right now on his show being the first give "TDKR" a bad review and how many nerds blew up the comments section on RT *and* on Fine's website. Pointing out Fine receiving death threats.

wm lopez
07-17-12, 07:51 AM
Given that TIME review it sounds like THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is basically ripping off THE WRATH OF KHAN'S ending/climax, doesn't it? I don't think I need to spoiler any more than that. Yet no review has made the comparison yet. Reminds me of when TITANIC ripped off SOMEWHERE IN TIME's ending and no critic noticed. :(

TITANIC didn't rip off SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

wm lopez
07-17-12, 07:54 AM
OMG, Howard Stern is talking about Marshall Fine right now on his show being the first give "TDKR" a bad review and how many nerds blew up the comments section on RT *and* on Fine's website. Pointing out Fine receiving death threats.

So that's what today's generation has come to.

RichC2
07-17-12, 07:56 AM

That's normal, fanboys are fanboys, most are under 15. There's 6 negative reviews, and I'm sure there will be plenty more to come.

So that's what today's generation has come to.

That isn't today's generation, that's the "internet" generation as a whole.

raven56706
07-17-12, 08:15 AM
i saw it..... just not saying anything...

trespoochies
07-17-12, 08:30 AM
i saw it..... just not saying anything...

Best review yet.

raven56706
07-17-12, 08:40 AM
Best review yet.

problem is i cant give a review without giving spoilers... i would have to give my review on friday...

RichC2
07-17-12, 08:44 AM
Or you can say, you know, "I liked it ok", at which point you're a plant, or "I didn't care for it", at which point you're a troll.

raven56706
07-17-12, 08:51 AM
hahaha... richc2... im not even going down that road... even how people would think that if they liked a movie their a plant... so dumb

Shannon Nutt
07-17-12, 02:54 PM
That's how I feel Nolan approaches his movies. Even when the action is fast paced and furious (like memento), we get to sit there and just take it all in, just really sink into that world and its imaginary characters and setting.

Reallly? I just see it as a director who has control of his final cut and refuses to cut anything.

Shannon Nutt
07-17-12, 02:55 PM
TITANIC didn't rip off SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

Ending sure did. That's what I was referring to - ending of TDKR vs. Star Trek 2; ending of Titanic vs. Somewhere In Time.

Troy Stiffler
07-17-12, 03:14 PM
Reallly? I just see it as a director who has control of his final cut and refuses to cut anything.

From the interviews and commentaries and stuff - I gather that Nolan really wants the audience to latch onto the story and character moments, which in turn drives the action scenes. He discusses a good bit about the psychology of scenes. Someone like Michael Bay (whom I also like a lot) is more about the style and toying with technical aspects to deliver a visceral experience.

Some of the best parts of Michael Bay movies is when something explodes and three or five bits of action comes together. One of the best parts in Batman Begins is when Bruce reveals to Katie Holmes' character who he is before jumping off the building (or whatever, it's been awhile). Or in the Dark Knight, when Joker cuts that guy's and some guitar riff kicks in. That moment created more feeling than the ending with Batman dealing with the bad guys in the unfinished building.

Both examples are complete escapism and just there to make you feel something.

That's just my take.

DaveyJoe
07-17-12, 03:16 PM

He cut 15 minutes from The Dark Knight and more from The Dark Knight Rises.

raven56706
07-17-12, 03:31 PM
the directing in this movie is top notch... i mean its really really good.. i know Nolan wont get a directing nod at the Oscars but he certainly deserves it for this trilogy... especially in this movie...

thats all

jmu878
07-17-12, 03:41 PM
the directing in this movie is top notch... i mean its really really good.. i know Nolan wont get a directing nod at the Oscars but he certainly deserves it for this trilogy... especially in this movie...

thats all

If the movie lives up to the hype, we might end up with a LOTR type oscars for Nolan's trilogy. Although the competition may be a bit tougher this year than when Slumdog won over TDK in '08. I'll reserve my opinion until I see it, but I'd love for Nolan to walk away with a statue.

dhmac
07-17-12, 04:45 PM
Reminds me of when TITANIC ripped off SOMEWHERE IN TIME's ending and no critic noticed. :(
So I guess a ship sinks at the end of SOMEWHERE IN TIME (?)

(I've never seen it)

PatD
07-17-12, 06:28 PM
Heath Ledger has gotten beaucoup accolades for his performance--and rightfully so.

But, I think Gary Oldman needs just about the equivalent recognition for his work. Oldman just disappears into the part (as he often does). Morgan Freeman? He's good of course, but my brain registers Morgan Freeman not Lucius Fox. With Oldman, he really is Commissioner Jim Gordon. It's outstanding work.

Dragon Tattoo
07-17-12, 06:29 PM
"I gotta get me one a' those!"

wm lopez
07-17-12, 06:31 PM

(I've never seen it)

In SOMEWHERE IN TIME the man dies at a young age and sees his woman love in the afterlife also at young age.
In TITANIC the old woman dies and turns young and sees her love at young in afterlife.

wm lopez
07-17-12, 06:34 PM
Best review yet.

I can live if this movie is on par with SPIDER-MAN 3 and not GODFATHER 3.

PatD
07-17-12, 07:23 PM
I can live if this movie is on par with SPIDER-MAN 3 and not GODFATHER 3.

From what I've been hearing: it's about as upbeat as Alien 3.

redrum
07-17-12, 07:41 PM
oh my god it's at 86% on RT what are we gonna do now?

Troy Stiffler
07-17-12, 07:46 PM
Let the bitching begin! Nolanites. Fanboys. Not dark enough. Too dark and drab. Nolan's team can't direct action right. The Dark Night was only good because Heath Leger is dead. Rich guy in tights fighting crime? Pft. Grammatical error you suck!

Dr. DVD
07-17-12, 07:50 PM
I still don't see how there are only 48 reviews out at this point. Thought there would be more around.

PatD
07-17-12, 07:56 PM

RT is not exactly an omniscient pillar of cinematic taste--Star Trek (2009) has a 91% (which I think is the highest ranking for a Michael Bay movie)

Shannon Nutt
07-17-12, 08:08 PM

(I've never seen it)

OMG, I can't believe I have to explain this, so here goes: The death of Rose and the afterlife reuinion with Jack are a total ripoff of the death of Richard Collier and the afterlife reunion with Elise McKenna, just as (supposedly) the death of Batman and the TALE OF TWO CITIES rememberance by Alfred are (assuming it happens in TDKR) a total ripoff of the death of Spock and the TALE OF TWO CITIES rememberance by Kirk.

Of course, most of you will say it's a coincidence or a homage...that's what you say in Hollywood when you steal other people's ideas. :)

Dragon Tattoo
07-17-12, 08:15 PM
RT is not exactly an omniscient pillar of cinematic taste--Star Trek (2009) has a 91% (which I think is the highest ranking for a Michael Bay movie)

Star Trek is not a Michael Bay movie.

Dragon Tattoo
07-17-12, 08:17 PM
OMG, I can't believe I have to explain this, so here goes: The death of Rose and the afterlife reuinion with Jack are a total ripoff of the death of Richard Collier and the afterlife reunion with Elise McKenna, just as (supposedly) the death of Batman and the TALE OF TWO CITIES rememberance by Alfred are (assuming it happens in TDKR) a total ripoff of the death of Spock and the TALE OF TWO CITIES rememberance by Kirk.

Of course, most of you will say it's a coincidence or a homage...that's what you say in Hollywood when you steal other people's ideas. :)

Do you not know how to use spoiler tags or do you just not give a shit because this isn't 'The Hunger Games'?

Putting "(supposedly)" before something does not negate you from having to use spoiler tags when you are "(supposedly)" and (very fucking possibly) spoiling the ending of the fucking movie.

JumpCutz
07-17-12, 08:18 PM

You can turn in your DVDTALK membership at the door. Seriously?-ohbfrank-

Everyone knows Star Trek (2009) was directed by Joss Whedon.

redrum
07-17-12, 08:27 PM
I was joking

Who cares what the RT rating is, movie is gonna be amazing

Guru Askew
07-17-12, 08:41 PM
I was joking

Who cares what the RT rating is, movie is gonna be amazing

Deciding you'll like the movie before you see it? I like that attitude!

Wait a minute, no I don't.

Michael T Hudson
07-17-12, 08:54 PM

:lol:

PatD
07-17-12, 08:55 PM

Not officially. But, if he was credited as director three years ago, could anyone really tell?

Dragon Tattoo
07-17-12, 08:59 PM
Not officially. But, if he was credited as director three years ago, could anyone really tell?

Yes, as long as there weren't an idiot. There's a world of difference between JJ Abrams and Michael Bay.

Sondheim
07-17-12, 09:01 PM
Not officially. But, if he was credited as director three years ago, could anyone really tell?Of course. If Bay had directed it there wouldn't have been as many lens flares.

PatD
07-17-12, 09:07 PM
Of course. If Bay had directed it there wouldn't have been as many lens flares.

Zing! :D :D :D

Supermallet
07-18-12, 01:28 AM
Hey, here's an idea, let's use The Dark Knight Rises review thread to bash a wholly unrelated film.

Or we could, you know, talk about The Dark Knight Rises. Just saw it and loved it. I'll keep the comments to a minimum until Thursday night, but y'all are in for one hell of a ride, especially in IMAX.

PatD
07-18-12, 03:51 AM
Hey, here's an idea, let's use The Dark Knight Rises review thread to bash a wholly unrelated film.

Or we could, you know, talk about The Dark Knight Rises. Just saw it and loved it. I'll keep the comments to a minimum until Thursday night, but y'all are in for one hell of a ride, especially in IMAX.

My bad. Sorry.

raven56706
07-18-12, 07:32 AM
you guys are almost forcing me to review this movie...

word of advice.... watch it on IMAX first... Its one an incredible epic movie.... epic is a word to describe this film and is a fitting end to the trilogy... you wont be dissappointed ... this is the movie of the year

Osiris3657
07-18-12, 07:45 AM
Roger Ebert's 3 star (positive) review:

The Dark Knight Rises

BY ROGER EBERT / July 17, 2012

"The Dark Knight Rises" leaves the fanciful early days of the superhero genre far behind, and moves into a doom-shrouded, apocalyptic future that seems uncomfortably close to today's headlines. As urban terrorism and class warfare envelop Gotham and its infrastructure is ripped apart, Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) emerges reluctantly from years of seclusion in Wayne Manor and faces a soulless villain as powerful as he is. The film begins slowly with a murky plot and too many new characters, but builds to a sensational climax.

The result, in Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Batman trilogy, is an ambitious superhero movie with two surprises: It isn't very much fun, and it doesn't have very much Batman. I'm thinking of the over-the-top action sequences of the earlier films that had a subcurrent of humor, and the exhilarating performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker. This movie is all serious drama, with a villain named Bane whose Hannibal Lecterish face-muzzle robs him of personality. And although we see a good deal of Bruce Wayne, his alter-ego Batman makes only a few brief appearances before the all-out climax.

Bane, played by Tom Hardy in a performance evoking a homicidal pro wrestler, is a mystery because it's hard to say what motivates him. He releases thousands of Gotham's criminals in a scenario resembling the storming of the Bastille. As they face off against most of the city police force in street warfare, Bane's goal seems to be the overthrow of the ruling classes. But this would prove little if his other plan (the nuclear annihilation of the city) succeeds.

Bane stages two other sensational set pieces, involving destroying the Stock Exchange and blowing up a football stadium, that seemed aimed at our society's twin gods of money and pro sports. No attempt is made to account for Bane's funding and resources, and when it finally comes down to Bane and Batman going mano-a-mano during a street fight, it involves an anticlimactic fist-fight. He blows up the city's bridges and to top that lands a right hook on Batman's jaw?

Bane is the least charismatic of the Batman villains, but comes close to matching Bruce Wayne and Batman in screen time. The film also supplies a heroic young cop (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), two potential romantic partners for Wayne, and lots of screen time for series regulars Alfred the Butler (Michael Caine, remarkably effective in several trenchant scenes), Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) and the genius inventor Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman).

One of the women is the always enigmatic Catwoman (Anne Hathaway), and the other is Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard), a millionaire who may be able to rescue Wayne Enterprises after Bane's stock market mischief wipes out Wayne financially. Catwoman is a freelance burglar who's always looking out for number one, and Miranda is a do-gooder environmentalist; both are drawn irresistibly to Bruce, who is not only still a bachelor but has spent the last eight years as a hermit, walled up in Wayne Manor with the loyal Alfred.

All of these characters and their activities produce stretches in the first half of the film during which, frankly, I was not entirely sure who was doing what and with which and to whom. The movie settles in for its sensational second half, however, although not everybody will be able to precisely explain the deep stone well where Bane prisons Bruce Wayne. The circular walls of this well represent a deadly climbing wall by which anyone can try to reach freedom, but few succeed. The actual location is in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India, and we get a glimpse of some zigzagging stairs that are unforgettably shown in "Baraka." Turns out Bane was held there as a child.

This is a dark and heavy film; it tests the weight a superhero movie can bear. That Nolan is able to combine civil anarchy, mass destruction and a Batcycle with exercise-ball tires is remarkable. That he does it without using 3D is admirable. That much of it was shot in the 70mm IMAX format allows it to make that giant screen its own. That it concludes the trilogy is inevitable; how much deeper can Nolan dig? It lacks the near-perfection of "The Dark Knight" (2008), it needs more clarity and a better villain, but it's an honorable finale.

AdamComic2
07-18-12, 08:46 AM
I saw it last night and Roger Ebert echoes my thoughts almost exactly.

Daytripper
07-18-12, 10:58 AM
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/rottentomatoes-halts-dark-knight-comments-backlash-120225415--abc-news-movies.html

For some reason, the link above was disabled (!?) Here's another site reporting this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/dark-knight-rises-rotten-tomatoes-disables-comments-for-the-first-time-after-harsh-reaction/2012/07/17/gJQAxXPPsW_blog.html

Supermallet
07-18-12, 11:19 AM
I agree with Ebert's comments on Bane. He doesn't have the authority of Ra's Al Ghul or the captivating wildness of The Joker, but ultimately this movie is more about Bruce Wayne than it is about the villain, so I'm okay with it.

Solid Snake
07-18-12, 01:15 PM
I'm seeing this tonight in Fort Worth. Will be interesting.

Apple Gooncha
07-18-12, 02:14 PM

Down to 85 now. ;)

Of course, the Metacritic score is almost identical to TDK right now. TDK has an 82 on 39 reviews, while TDKR is sitting at 81 with 26 reviews. :shrug:

I've always liked Metacritic's system a little more than RT, personally.

*Edit* And just like that, 2 more reviews posted on Metacritic and TDKR is up to 82.

WeylandYutani
07-18-12, 03:46 PM
I've unwillingly stumbled onto a few supposed spoilers this afternoon browsing the net and I don't like what I've read as pertains to the ending, if it turns out to be true. If the big rumour going around about the end turns out to be true, then it's nothing but a cinematic shock tactic in order to get emotion where there would be none otherwise.

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 04:34 PM
Question for those who have seen it on the opening premise and if it's 'logic' bothered you

from the reviews I've read
-Batman took the blame for assassinating the district attorney and then went into hiding. Since they didn't seem to put any effort into finding him, is the excuse for their inaction well justified or more of the 'just don;t think about it' variety?
-Also, Batman doesn't need to come out of hiding because crime in the city (of millions) is way, way down? I can understand him not coming out to beat up on thugs and drug dealers- but does the film actually make the case that attitudes (in this city of millions) have completely turned around and corruption simply doesn't exist anymore? Or on a large scale because one politician symbolized hope and change, and was murdered for it?
Is there a sound foundation for these attitudes or is this just an extension of the ferry boat scene where a cross section of Gotham, including hardened murderers and rapists, suddenly become altruistic and self sacrificing?

Supermallet
07-18-12, 05:07 PM
Paul:

The way they explain it is that Dent's death was used to create a new law/set of laws known as the "Dent Act" that allowed the cops to deal with corruption and crime more effectively, making Batman unnecessary. As for not finding or capturing him, well, there's a reason he wears a mask. He can just take it off. When he resurfaces the cops do try to capture him.

WeylandYutani
07-18-12, 05:23 PM
I agree with Ebert's comments on Bane. He doesn't have the authority of Ra's Al Ghul or the captivating wildness of The Joker, but ultimately this movie is more about Bruce Wayne than it is about the villain

Thank the fuck Christ.

Shannon Nutt
07-18-12, 05:44 PM
Rex Reed loves it!

http://observer.com/2012/07/the-dark-knight-rex-reed-christian-bale-michael-caine-christopher-nolan/

Halfheartedly, I give The Dark Knight Rises—the third and final Batflick in the Nolan trilogy—one star for eardrum-busting sound effects and glaucoma-inducing computerized images in blinding Imax, but talk about stretching things. That’s all most immature audiences require for their hard-earned money these days. The rest of it should not be reviewed by anyone over the age of 12.

Actually, this is the MOST ENTERTAINING review I've read yet, although it is more of a rant. :)

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 06:32 PM
Paul:

The way they explain it is that Dent's death was used to create a new law/set of laws known as the "Dent Act" that allowed the cops to deal with corruption and crime more effectively, making Batman unnecessary.

Ok- am I the only one who sees the problem here? They didn't need Batman after all, they just need better legislation all along?
Also the film is trying to sell us that all this change is motivated by the death of a ***POLITICIAN*** ?
Not a tireless civil rights leader, or oppressed political activist but a politician who was well connected and well funded and would have antagonized a legion of similarly well connected, well funded adversaries? Did TDK set this character up as more than a grandstanding (which could be easily be spun as reckless and immature) civil service functionary because of what he did in the film or just because a limited number of his peer group thought he was cool?

Paul:

As for not finding or capturing him, well, there's a reason he wears a mask. He can just take it off. When he resurfaces the cops do try to capture him.

Seriously- that's as far as it goes? A film universe where federal authorities exist who can capture Bane, can't simply sit in an office and profile a guy that uses military industrial grade weapons within city limits? Instead they operate with the attitude "well, as long as we can't see him, let's forget about him. But if he shows up again, we'll show him how vexed we are that he murdered the DA."
Nor do they penalize Gordon for having a suspiciously cozy relationship with a character who even he (Gordon) claims murdered a high profile member of the law enforcement community? Instead they make that person Commissioner?
Wow.

Kudos to Nolan for seeing the potential inherent in the downturn in '08 and incorporating a class warfare theme - but just like the intellectual pretensions of TDK, the foundation these grand themes rests on sounds silly and plastic.

Tom Creo
07-18-12, 06:55 PM
Oh boy. :lol:

Dr. DVD
07-18-12, 07:06 PM
Uh....

A law because of the late Harvey Dent is able to clean up a crime ridden city? I don't buy it.

JumpCutz
07-18-12, 07:09 PM
Is anyone surprised? Nolan's Batman films are inherently stupid. :lol: The serious heavy handed manner in which he frames the movies is laughably pretentious. Just enjoy them for what they are, but don't think too hard about them. -wink-

JumpCutz
07-18-12, 07:15 PM
More Rex Reed goodness... :lol:

"Speaking lines they cannot possibly understand, not one actor makes any attempt to be believable. So manufactured and synthetic that they eventually lose all sense of reality, they're like reconstituted orange juice and processed cheese".

Dragon Tattoo
07-18-12, 07:17 PM
Rex Reed sounds senile.

Only a senile old fuck or a psychopath would actually pine for a fucking Captain Marvel movie.

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 07:26 PM
Who wants whimsical when you can have heavy handed and pretentious?

PatD
07-18-12, 08:04 PM
Why can't we have even *more* summer Hollywood movies devoid of an iota of substance? I don't want to have to think or feel when I'm staring at a screen for 2+ hours.

I think we should eat cotton candy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner too.

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 08:10 PM
There can be only one permanent revolution — a moral one; the regeneration of the inner man.
How is this revolution to take place? Nobody knows how it will take place in humanity, but every man feels it clearly in himself. And yet in our world everybody thinks of changing humanity, and nobody thinks of changing himself.

there, does that make this post any more substantive than yours?

few things are more annoying to me than a superficial veneer of profundity that masks amateurish incoherence.

JumpCutz
07-18-12, 08:12 PM
few things are more annoying to me than a superficial veneer of profundity that masks amateurish incoherence.

:thumbsup:

Dragon Tattoo
07-18-12, 08:18 PM
You two already got Avengers. Isn't that enough stupidity for you?

You don't have to watch this movie if the idea of one Superhero series that takes itself seriously is so fucking offensive to you.

Supermallet
07-18-12, 08:23 PM
In Paul's defense, I don't think his critique is "Nolan takes himself too seriously, therefore his Batman movies suck," but rather "Because Nolan takes himself seriously, he should consider the ramifications of the actions the characters in his Batman films take."

Most of us are willing to accept the Harvey Dent thing, Paul isn't. Simple as that.

PatD
07-18-12, 08:23 PM
You two already got Avengers. Isn't that enough stupidity for you?

You don't have to watch this movie if the idea of one Superhero series that takes itself seriously is so fucking offensive to you.

Thank you.

Bluelitespecial
07-18-12, 08:30 PM
Is it really two hours and 44 minutes? Since when did big summer movies have to be almost three hours?

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 08:38 PM
In Paul's defense, I don't think his critique is "Nolan takes himself too seriously, therefore his Batman movies suck," but rather "Because Nolan takes himself seriously, he should consider the ramifications of the actions the characters in his Batman films take."

yes, thank you. That is exactly the point I've been trying to make (not just in that last post, but in all my posts critical of Nolans work on this property).

And I don't agree with the idea that films that aim lower thematically(like the Avengers) are therefore 'stupid'. On the contrary, that movie knew exactly what it was and worked towards its (more modest) goals with a serious regard for the basics of its craft. Behavior was logical and consistent, and when things happened unexpectedly (Widow's table turning on Loki) it's not simply a twist for the sake of a twist, it's something that was telegraphed blatantly earlier. That is skill and precision in storytelling and it's not stupid.
OTOH, when you have certain characters acting contradictory to their character for the sole purpose of hitting a predetermined plot point later, that's what I find 'stupid' and false. TDK sadly had more than it's share of that kind of stuff, and it looks like TDKR is par for the Nolan course.

My mind is also roomy enough that I can juggle the concept that TDKR is likely full of stupid and also quite entertaining. But entertaining, and paying lip service to heavy topical themes doesn't equate to brilliance.
That takes a level of coherency which I simply haven't seen in Nolan's work on this property and don't expect to here from all accounts.

yoshimi
07-18-12, 08:42 PM
Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK. The Dent thing seems really dumb so I am excited to see if he can outdo himself on Friday.

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 08:50 PM
:lol:

:thumbsup: good attitude to go in with. :)

Hokeyboy
07-18-12, 08:50 PM
Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK. The Dent thing seems really dumb so I am excited to see if he can outdo himself on Friday.
"Hated the last movie. Cant wait to pay to see the next one so I can hate it even more!"

Ladies and gents: True Fanboyism. QED.

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 08:52 PM
Buh..buh...but I've got movie cash that came along with my copy of Sucker Punch!

JumpCutz
07-18-12, 08:53 PM
So people aren't allowed to dislike this movie? Lest they be labeled a true fanboy? :lol:

Movie cash aside. :sad:

Dragon Tattoo
07-18-12, 08:58 PM
In the end no one really gives a shit. This movie is too big for people like you three to ruin.

27 hours to go.

The Antipodean
07-18-12, 09:11 PM
I just saw it and am still processing it -- it leaves a very good impression but there are a few things I'm still working through -- say this for Nolan, his movies do provide a lot to chew on. I loved "Avengers" but that was like a fast food meal and this is more of a fine-dining experience, not to get all artsy-fartsy.

I will say I l*loved* Joseph Gordon-Levitt who just gets better and better and Anne Hathaway was amazing too.

However... while Bane was visually pretty amazing there wasn't a very believable character under there. His "motivation" seemed cribbed from Occupy protests and The Anarchists' Cookbook and just kind of lacking, compared to the Joker who somehow was a more potent agent of chaos. Also, the mask really does restrict what Hardy can do with the character I felt, and his voice sounded a bit too much like Rex Harrison or Alec Guinness from the 1960s somehow. Still, it's not a terrible villain, better than Scarecrow was in Begins.

Supermallet
07-18-12, 09:16 PM
I still think I enjoyed The Avengers more. Whedon knocked that one so far out of the park, it's hard for even this to top it.

PatD
07-18-12, 09:39 PM
Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK.

That was the thematic linchpin of the entire movie.

"This city just showed you that it's full of people ready to believe in good."

Hokeyboy
07-18-12, 09:42 PM
So people aren't allowed to dislike this movie? Lest they be labeled a true fanboy? :lol:
Not even close to what I was implying. -ptth- Anyone can dislike whatever they want. But if you walk into anything, having hated the previous iteration and drooling with impish anticipation of hating the next, you're the typical Internet fanboy. Bitter, close-minded, more than a little desperate, and quite frankly a bit odious what with the pequerino toenail cheese aroma. :mad:

Paul_SD
07-18-12, 10:58 PM
putting my particular aromas aside, what would you call the legion of posters who reduce every (reasoned and reasonable) criticism to a binary encapsulation?

I go to the same place everyday at work for a Greek salad. Everytime I pick the olives out of the salad and then eat the salad and throw away the olives. Does that mean I hate the salad? Does that mean I hate olives (all olives?) Does that mean I always hate olives on my salads?
Only in fanboy logic can you draw any of those conclusions and use them as a certain truth to hit someone over the head with.
I have said repeatedly when discussing Nolan, that I love some of the flourishes he done with these characters. I think Bale is an ideal Wayne and the supporting casts have been stellar.
There are also aspects to the films I've thought were absolutely lame, foolish, contradictory, and laughable. Unfortunately that includes a lot of what other respected critics seem to find profound and transcendent about these movies.

The impression that these films (which get lavished with words like 'brilliant' and 'deep' and 'heavy' in one mass media review after the other) seem to inspire such a reductive outlook amongst their most rabid fans, makes for such an amusing contradiction when their conceptualization and contextualization of criticism is usually stupid, shallow, and weightless.

But don't take my word for it- read the comments on Rotten Tomatoes
oh wait...

Dragon Tattoo
07-18-12, 11:35 PM
If Warner were smart, they'd abandon the Batman reboots for awhile after this movie and make a Batman Beyond movie. Any Batman after this iteration is doomed to, well, maybe not outright failure, but at the very least endless comparison to the Nolan films.

candyrocket786
07-19-12, 12:05 AM
If Warner were smart, they'd abandon the Batman reboots for awhile after this movie and make a Batman Beyond movie. Any Batman after this iteration is doomed to, well, maybe not outright failure, but at the very least endless comparison to the Nolan films.

I am down for a Batman Beyond film. :up:

Troy Stiffler
07-19-12, 12:31 AM

I'd rather not see Batman for awhile. Plenty of other projects out there. Whether or not people like The Amazing Spiderman, most will agree that it was unnecessary and I think people will be worn out by it.

Paul_SD
07-19-12, 12:40 AM
I'd rather not see Batman for awhile. Plenty of other projects out there. Whether or not people like The Amazing Spiderman, most will agree that it was unnecessary and I think people will be worn out by it.

I feel the same way. Unfortunately going by how they approach their animated direct to video program, we'll likely get a new Batman before many other equally worthy properties are explored.

I could see a Spectre movie having a lot of creative potential to offer an up and coming Del Toro type director- as well as a lot of BO potential, especially if released in the fall.
But since he doesn't have much connection to the JLA , I doubt we'll get it before a new Batman (probably only 5 or 6 years away).

That's just one example of dozens of characters DC could exploit but won't.
If they are loathe to invest the meager amounts in the direct to video, how could they ever be expected to lavish hundreds of millions on live action material?

But then again we apparently have Lobo coming (sigh).

Dragon Tattoo
07-19-12, 12:57 AM

Well, yes, but that's clearly not even an option, since Warner has already said that they're looking into future Batman projects now. Even if there are "plenty of other" projects, none of them will do as well as Batman (just look at Green Lantern and the last Superman movie), which has been Warner's top Superhero money maker for like the past 20 years. It's the only hero property they have that is guaranteed to make them money.

So, among future options that are in any way feasible, I'd rather they do Batman Beyond than yet another iteration of the original Batman.

Unfortunately going by how they approach their animated direct to video program, we'll likely get a new Batman before many other equally worthy properties are explored.

Also not really Warner's fault, since their Batman animated films greatly outsell any other DC property they have. Even a shitty project like Gotham Knights outsold the Wonder Woman and Green Lantern projects they did.

There's a reason there are like 15 Batman-family comics among the new 52.

Superboy
07-19-12, 01:12 AM

Yeah, Batman Beyond sounds great:

Bruce: "Pete- I mean, Terry, you've got to learn some responsibility! you're Batman now, and you've got to accept the burden that comes with it!"

Terry: "I want a life of my own! I'm tired of not getting what I want, even though I was a completely lost, directionless, apathetic teenager with no ambition and drive to complete anything on my own! I'm Batman - no more!"

Bruce: "That reminds me of a really old story about my complex relationship with a villain that I never bothered to fully resolve and warn you about the impending dangers of because I wanted to retain some premise of dramatic tension even though its put you, the people you love, and the entire city in danger again and again"

(host of supporting characters): "we are completely flat, undeveloped, totally incompetent, and escalate every single dangerous situation by ten fold by our inability to display any amount of common sense"

Bruce: "Terry, being Batman is too dangerous! you've got to stop this!"

Terry: "but you just said - "

Dragon Tattoo
07-19-12, 01:25 AM
Yeah, Batman Beyond sounds great:

It does. But as you've so succinctly proven, it needs someone who is actually a competent writer and not someone who takes the most basic tropes from the series and twists them to their own agenda.

Just like any story.

gmanca
07-19-12, 01:33 AM
I would like to see Keaton come back to do The Dark Knight Returns.

Superboy
07-19-12, 02:04 AM
It does. But as you've so succinctly proven, it needs someone who is actually a competent writer and not someone who takes the most basic tropes from the series and twists them to their own agenda.

Just like any story.

Oh come on, it was a joke.

BTW have you seen concept fan art for a Batman Beyond movie? it looks really good.

FRwL
07-19-12, 02:47 AM

I'm on board for that. He still looks great in The Other Guys as the Police commissioner.

Supermallet
07-19-12, 03:03 AM

Don't go chasing waterfalls.

gmanca
07-19-12, 03:08 AM
Was that accidental or are you trying to quote TLC?

Supermallet
07-19-12, 03:19 AM
Quote who now?

Dragon Tattoo
07-19-12, 06:10 AM
Oh come on, it was a joke.

BTW have you seen concept fan art for a Batman Beyond movie? it looks really good.

Yeah, it does. However, apparently Nolan is apparently king daddy boss of comic movies over at Warner now, though, so I'm wondering just how feasible a Batman Beyond project would be.

He'll apparently be grandfathering/producing/overseeing whatever new Batman projects Warner undertakes, even if he won't be directing them, just like he's doing with the new Superman films. Plus, they do obviously want a Batman more in line with the comics so they can do a Justice League movie, so they probably will just end up rebooting the main series again.

Superboy
07-19-12, 06:22 AM
Yeah, it does. However, apparently Nolan is apparently king daddy boss of comic movies over at Warner now, though, so I'm wondering just how feasible a Batman Beyond project would be.

He'll apparently be grandfathering/producing/overseeing whatever new Batman projects Warner undertakes, even if he won't be directing them, just like he's doing with the new Superman films. Plus, they do obviously want a Batman more in line with the comics so they can do a Justice League movie, so they probably will just end up rebooting the main series again.

Yeah, a Justice League movie would probably be god-awful. It would end up having the same problems that the Avengers movie had: you can't put someone super-powerful like Superman next to someone powerless like Batman and be able to drum up some sort of super-powered threat that they can both challenge. During the Avengers movie I wondered if Black Widow's pistols were magic and if she had superpowers and if Hawkeye had magic arrows.

Hokeyboy
07-19-12, 08:15 AM
Was that accidental or are you trying to quote Paul McCartney?
Fixed.

Shannon Nutt
07-19-12, 09:00 AM
Anyone want to bet that TDKR winds up with more Hunger Games-like Box Office than Avengers-like box office...I'm sure it will do great through July...but will it still be playing in September? Given the reviews I've seen, this isn't quite the "feel good" movie AVENGERS was, or even the rollercoaster ride THE DARK KNIGHT was...are even "fanboys" going to want to see this more than twice?

Hokeyboy
07-19-12, 09:03 AM
are even "fanboys" going to want to see this more than twice?
Most assuredly, yes.

Guru Askew
07-19-12, 09:05 AM
Most assuredly, yes.

Twice? Maybe. Three, four, nine times like TDK? No.

Hokeyboy
07-19-12, 09:08 AM
Twice? Maybe. Three, four, nine times like TDK? No.
I would venture a guess that few (if any) people saw it three, four, or nine times. Except the hardcore fanboy types. And they will probably do the same this time around, given their obsessiveness.

majorjoe23
07-19-12, 09:23 AM

Actually, other than the next Superman movie that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/09/christopher-nolan-justice-league/

He also said he does not intend to get involved with any future solo Batman films when distributor Warner Bros., which owns DC Comics, decides the time is right to launch a new take on the masked vigilante.

"Warners will have to decide in the future what they’re going to do with him,” Nolan said. “We’ve had our say on the character. …

“I’ve got no plans to do anything more, and certainly, no involvement with any Justice League project.”

Dragon Tattoo
07-19-12, 09:54 AM
Anyone want to bet that TDKR winds up with more Hunger Games-like Box Office than Avengers-like box office...I'm sure it will do great through July...but will it still be playing in September? Given the reviews I've seen, this isn't quite the "feel good" movie AVENGERS was, or even the rollercoaster ride THE DARK KNIGHT was...are even "fanboys" going to want to see this more than twice?

Fuck The Hunger Games and fuck The Avengers.

I already bought my marathon tickets and tickets to an Imax showing next week. Might go again after that.

I've been waiting 4 years for this movie.

Actually, other than the next Superman movie that doesn't seem to be the case.

Well, in any case this will probably be the last decent superhero project Warners does for awhile. I don't have high hopes for any Superman film, and Green Lantern has already proven they don't know what the fuck they're doing unless someone genuinely talented is behind the scenes. Doesn't help that their characters (other than Batman) are generally harder to adapt than Marvel's anyway.

RichC2
07-19-12, 10:08 AM

I also don't think it will pull Avengers style numbers overall. But then The Avengers wasn't a particularly good movie and I was surprised as hell that TDK did the numbers it did. So we'll see.

yoshimi
07-19-12, 10:39 AM
I am going to quit bitching about Nolan's Dark Knight films. Instead I am going check out all of the Avengers threads and call any one who posted something negative about it a troll.

Dragon Tattoo
07-19-12, 10:42 AM
I am going to quit bitching about Nolan's Dark Knight films.

Yeah, right. You're addicted to bashing TDK. You couldn't stop if you wanted to.

Where would we all be if yoshimi didn't jump into a thread just to make some completely random, disparaging remark about Nolan's Batman films? By now it feels as necessary as the sun rising in the morning.

Mr. Cinema
07-19-12, 10:45 AM
I think $450 mil is the absolute lowest this film could make, and more likely over $500 mil. It'll pull in nearly $200 mil this weekend, and will be at $300 mil after next weekend. With such a massive start, I think $500 mil should still be easy to reach even with larger drops than what TDK had.

Boxoffice.com is predicting a $198 million weekend. Box Office Mojo is going with a new record of $214.7 million.

Hokeyboy
07-19-12, 10:46 AM
It won't make Avengers money. Different demographic and it doesn't have the 3D premium pricing attached. But it'll make epic bank, assuredly.

M1000be
07-19-12, 10:46 AM
It's not so much you're bitching about Nolan's films, it's more about how at this point, it's just pathetic. It's you, trying to be different and draw attention to yourself. Even if you loved the films, you wouldn't admit it, because you need attention and the only way you can get it is by trying to be different. It's so cliche'.

With that said.
I still prefer Batman Begins over The Dark Knight, so I am hoping that this one falls somewhere in between the two. As good as The Dark Knight is, I just can't re-watch it as often as I can Batman Begins.

bootsy
07-19-12, 12:13 PM

What reviews have you seen because the ones I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. You also are going to be disappointed because TDKR will still be playing in September and probably end up with a gross box office equal to or more than the Avengers. People like you are still comparing the Avengers and TDKR when they are nowhere near alike. TDKR and it's predecessors aren't "feel good" movies.

Shannon Nutt
07-19-12, 12:52 PM
I would venture a guess that few (if any) people saw it three, four, or nine times. Except the hardcore fanboy types. And they will probably do the same this time around, given their obsessiveness.

I don't consider myself a hardcore fanboy, and I saw TDK four times in the theater...by comparison, I only saw Batman Begins once. I've only seen Avengers once. I just thought TDK was a great movie.

Supermallet
07-19-12, 12:54 PM
I've now seen TDKR three times. I like it a lot, although it does have its flaws, and ultimately I prefer TDK and The Avengers. But it's still awesome and goddamn the IMAX footage is so good.

raven56706
07-19-12, 12:59 PM
finally i can talk about it.... its awesome movie.... its big... a big movie... tons of chaos...Some things are crazy to see if it were real.. Bane is badass but not Joker badass..

and the Superman trailer is sick...

Shannon Nutt
07-19-12, 01:00 PM
What reviews have you seen because the ones I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive. You also are going to be disappointed because TDKR will still be playing in September and probably end up with a gross box office equal to or more than the Avengers. People like you are still comparing the Avengers and TDKR when they are nowhere near alike. TDKR and it's predecessors aren't "feel good" movies.

That was exactly my point...can a non-feel-good movie make AVENGERS-type box office? I loved THE DARK KNIGHT (my favorite movie from that year) and felt "meh" about AVENGERS (good popcorn fun, but not really a complete film that can stand on its own merits). That said, I think it's perfectly acceptable to compare one superhero film to another, regardless of tone - especially when they both come out the same summer.

trespoochies
07-19-12, 01:06 PM
finally i can talk about it.... its awesome movie.... its big... a big movie... tons of chaos...Some things are crazy to see if it were real.. Bane is badass but not Joker badass..

Best review yet.

Shannon Nutt
07-19-12, 01:28 PM
Richard Roeper thought it was great:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/darkknightrises.aspx

raven56706
07-19-12, 01:41 PM
Best review yet.

hahaha.. didnt want to give to much...

btw, wikipedia page is updated with the movie plot.... dont read

RocShemp
07-19-12, 01:46 PM
btw, wikipedia page is updated with the movie plot.... dont read

Sooo tempted. :sad:

Shannon Nutt
07-19-12, 05:37 PM
CNN doesn't like it:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/showbiz/movies/dark-knight-rises-review-charity/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

But Nolan bites off more than even he can chew in the movie's wildly overambitious and borderline nonsensical third act. He's always been adept at structure, so it's dismaying how often Nolan falls back on crude parallel editing and flashbacks, how loosely he plays with space and time in a climax that rings more than a little hollow in its efforts to circle back to "Batman Begins."

Strevlac
07-19-12, 07:29 PM
CNN doesn't like it:

Quote:
But Nolan bites off more than even he can chew in the movie's wildly overambitious and borderline nonsensical third act. He's always been adept at structure, so it's dismaying how often Nolan falls back on crude parallel editing and flashbacks, how loosely he plays with space and time in a climax that rings more than a little hollow in its efforts to circle back to "Batman Begins."

No he hasn't. It's just that some of the slower folks are just now noticing.

RichC2
07-19-12, 07:39 PM
No he hasn't. It's just that some of the slower folks are just now noticing.

I disagree, Nolan's strong point has always been structure. But condesending remarks do go far here.

Hokeyboy
07-19-12, 07:43 PM
Those nasty bullies can't hurt you anymore, Strevlac.

DonnachaOne
07-19-12, 10:34 PM
I've seen it twice now (two different staff screenings). I wish the Nolans had chosen to handle things differently, though it's nice to see them try some more humor. Incredibly well-informed characters over-explain things in an unnatural fashion to each other quite a bit. The action sequences are nice, if a little clunky and drawn-out, and I wish a Batman film had more sequences of Batman being Batman. It ties things up nicely - the brothers seem to be Brad Bird fans - before pinning an "isn't this a very Christopher Nolan ending" last shot on there.

Really though, Cillian Murphy? I just wanna hug him.

The Antipodean
07-19-12, 10:38 PM
Harry Knowles hates it, which means I already like it a lot more than I thought I did:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

I really expect to rate TDKR higher on a second viewing, which happened with the previous two movies. Nobody can accused Nolan of aiming low.

Tom Creo
07-19-12, 10:39 PM
Wow, the Avengers suck now. I can always count on DVDtalk to bring the funny. :lol:

Supermallet
07-19-12, 10:41 PM
Harry Knowles hates it, which means I already like it a lot more than I thought I did:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

I'm guessing Warner didn't play to Knowles' massive ego and he's pissed about it.

Edit: Jesus, even after all this time he still writes like a twelve year old. How the hell did this guy get famous for anything?

JumpCutz
07-19-12, 10:52 PM
Kind of surprised at that level of frothing at the mouth vitriol from Harry for a film of this stature. :eek:

Indeed, someone at Warner's really pissed him off. :lol:

atxbomber
07-20-12, 12:06 AM
Just got back. Loved it. Wraps up the trilogy nicely. Just really, really well done.

With that said.
I still prefer Batman Begins over The Dark Knight, so I am hoping that this one falls somewhere in between the two. As good as The Dark Knight is, I just can't re-watch it as often as I can Batman Begins.

You'll be happy then. It definitely feels more like a direct sequel to Batman Begins than to Dark Knight.

Pretty much covers it. Hardy was fantastic, and both fights with Batman are very intense.

FRwL
07-20-12, 02:12 AM
I think Knowles's point is that Wayne went awol because of that dumb reason. Oh and sucky fist fights.

bluetoast
07-20-12, 02:20 AM
Just got back from the Air & Space Museum IMAX (D.C., not that Dulles one). There was a pretty convincing looking Bane in the audience who arrived with Catwoman to applause. I arrived around 90 minutes early and it was still kind of crowded.

I'm not going to post too many thoughts now, except that Bane's voice is definitely different than in the MI preview, in that it was new audio for him (intonation on certain words was different) and it was clearer.

I really enjoyed this, but for now I'm going to say that I prefer TDK. And no matter what they say, if Heath were alive, he would definitely be in this, even if only for a second. It was great to see Crane once again.

Lt Ripley
07-20-12, 02:23 AM
I think Knowles's point is that Wayne went awol because of that dumb reason.

I will be a bit disappointed if they portray Batman going all pansy due to that ugly woman being killed.

dex14
07-20-12, 02:40 AM
I'm so happy Joker was infact in this!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12167-6913.gif

I've seen it twice now (two different staff screenings). I wish the Nolans had chosen to handle things differently, though it's nice to see them try some more humor. Incredibly well-informed characters over-explain things in an unnatural fashion to each other quite a bit. The action sequences are nice, if a little clunky and drawn-out, and I wish a Batman film had more sequences of Batman being Batman. It ties things up nicely - the brothers seem to be Brad Bird fans - before pinning an "isn't this a very Christopher Nolan ending" last shot on there.

Exactly my thought...which is why...I am looking forward to seeing someone else's take on it. I love Nolan and his vision...but I do want to see more Batman. I actually kind of agree with a lot of what Knowles wrote.

M1000be
07-20-12, 02:52 AM
Good movie. Great? No.

I'm a diehard Nolan fan. I'm also a diehard Batman fan and I've supported everything he has done with the franchise, but there was some missteps in this one. The biggest thing was the fact that sometimes thinks just happened for apparently no reason or without explanation. Examples? The first meeting of Batman and Catwoman. He just appeared there, for no apparent reason. There was no lead up to it. The same of how he gets back to Gotham. There are far too many times that things just happen without us knowing why or how.

In fact, dare I say, the first half of this film feels like a comic book. We get Alfred explaining to Bruce how Bane really is, but it's all dialogue and we don't even know how Alfred gets the information. This happens time and time again in the first act of the film. We hear about Bane and his past from other people, but the way its presented is heavy handed and just feels cheap. A prime example is when Gordon is put in the hospital. The Blake character says he was talking about someone named Bane and the tunnels. The problem? Bane's name is never mentioned once on screen while Gordon is around. It's a glaring problem. .

It really is odd, because the first half drags as it introduces new characters, but at the same time, it feels completely different in tone than the rest of the film. It isn't until Bane actually starts showing up more often that the film actually takes off and reminds you just why the trilogy has worked.

-shrugs-
I'll see it again and I'll most certainly buy it when it comes out, but at the same time, I left feeling confused. I loved the ending and felt it was a fitting way, but at the same time, I wonder if Nolan bit off more than he could chew with the storyline and characters.

gp1086
07-20-12, 02:55 AM
Just got back from the theater and I fucking LOVED this movie. Will probably go into greater details later on, but what an amazing way to close out the trilogy. Christopher Nolan is a pure genius.

Can't wait to rewatch.

Patman
07-20-12, 03:31 AM
After doing my best to tune out of social media and reviews and other spoiler-ish spots on the web for the past few weeks, finally got to see TDKR tonight at midnight. The film runs a little long at 165 minutes, but most is forgiven as Christopher Nolan sets out to put the finishing touches on his Batman film trilogy in grand fashion, and his and his brother's script allows moments to breathe and keep the central storyline moving at a good clip.

I still don't like Bane's voice, and he had far too much dialogue, it all started sounding like Charlie Brown's teachers after a while.

I did like Anne Hathaway's Catwoman/Seline Kyle, just the right amount of deadly wrapped up in sexy and flirty.

Overall, I liked how the ending coda wrapped things up.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+ (will have to check it out on IMAX soon).

silentbob007
07-20-12, 03:35 AM
I watched TDK and TDKR back-to-back in IMAX. I thought that TDKR suffered from this as it was the longer of the two but had a slower pace and had several characters that I thought could have been easily trimmed. Perhaps TDKR will grow on me more when feeling resumes in my ass.

mhg83
07-20-12, 03:44 AM
Just got back and liked it up until the last ten minutes. Nolan always seems to keep the batman movies grounded in reality. But not this one. I'm talking about flying a Nuclear bomb out to the ocean having it detonate and still able to survive??? Nolan didn't have the balls to to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman and felt like a big gotcha moment at the end.

Completely ruins the film and have lost respect for Christopher and Jonathan.

boogieman03
07-20-12, 03:46 AM
Amazing. Great film and I can't wait to watch it again.

Must try to get some sleep now. Tomorrow at work should be fun.

atxbomber
07-20-12, 03:52 AM
Just got back and liked it up until the last ten minutes. Nolan always seems to keep the batman movies grounded in reality. But not this one. I'm talking about flying a Nuclear bomb out to the ocean having it detonate and still able to survive??? Nolan didn't have the balls to to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman and felt like a big gotcha moment at the end.

Completely ruins the film and have lost respect for Christopher and Jonathan.

He didn't fly the bomb all the way out into the ocean. Despite what he told Catwoman, the Bat-Plane was flying on auto-pilot.

WeylandYutani
07-20-12, 03:54 AM
Saw it. Liked it, but it's without a doubt the sloppiest of the three movies. A Best Picture nom is out of the question and this time there will be very little outrage. Exposition and overexplaining things made the dialogue very unnatural at times. Caine overdid it during a certain brief crying scene, you'll know it when you see it. More later.

EEz28
07-20-12, 04:03 AM
This did not disappoint. I do like how it was previously stated that this is more in line as a sequel to Begins. Though that first fight scene with Bane was very intense. Great work from Hathaway, she totally nailed it as Selina. Loved Batman's line "so thats what it feels like."

Rypro 525
07-20-12, 04:28 AM
because i'm trying to get into doing reviews, here's mine (its as spoiler free as possible)
http://t.co/u1YuUMj
the short end, i loved it, and even consider it the best of the trilogy

Per IMDB "Out of respect for Heath Ledger, the Joker is never once mentioned for the whole film." since he didn't die in TDK, i'm wondering if had Ledger not died, if they'd find a way to have him make a cameo as both Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy have cameos

Superboy
07-20-12, 05:23 AM
I thought it was average. 2.5/5 stars.

It had average acting, average cinematography, an average storyline, average dialogue, etc etc. It wasn't better or worse than a lot of other films. The funny thing is, there are some great moments in the movie, but they're brought down by some extreme contrivances and an overall flat feeling throughout the whole movie. There were moments that really wowed me, but again, a lot of the movie just feels flat and sorta dead.

The funny thing is, that batshit insane review that was posted here earlier this week that had absurd - though not true - spoilers, ended up being a pretty good evaluation of the movie's overall theme.

Iron_Giant
07-20-12, 05:36 AM
Amazing. Great film and I can't wait to watch it again.

Must try to get some sleep now. Tomorrow at work should be fun.

Ditto.

Loved it, not best movie of the year, but a great ending to a great series.

1. TDK
2. Batman Begins
3. TDKR

LOVED Catwoman, 100x better than I thought she would be.

The last 20 min had some awesome twist coming fast and furious.

PatD
07-20-12, 05:36 AM
I just got back, and I think its fair to say that, for me, The Dark Knight Trilogy has the same parabolic course in quality as The Original Star Wars Trilogy point-per-point.

1) Excellent
2) One of the Greatest Movies Ever Made
3) Good but Clunky

Robin. Really?

Dragon Tattoo
07-20-12, 05:41 AM
Easily one of the best movies I've seen in my life. When I have kids, this will be my "I was there" movie series, like my Dad blabs on about Star Wars. I'm so glad I watched it as part of the marathon, as it really comes together full-circle (even though Batman Begins will always be just a tiny a bit out of place in the trilogy due to the slight tonal shift between it and TDK).

And there were so many fucking references! I mean, my god, Nolan either schooled himself up on Batman properly before creating this trilogy or someone on staff did their fucking homework. So many "blink-and-you'll miss 'em Batman mythology references and huge, shocking total geek out moments.

My theater lost its shit when Bane broke the bat. That was some truly epic shit.

I also loved the end with John Blake. "You should use your real name.". The end in general was just about great. Though I do question how Robin is going to live? You can't just quit your job and become a superhero, guy. Bruce could do it because he was a billionaire. You are currently an unemployed ex-cop squatting under an orphanage. :lol: (I assume he hooks up with Alfred for funding, tho...)

Small quibbles, however. Overall, I couldn't have asked for a more well-done Batman series. I will be seeing this at least once more in IMAX, and many more times in the future.

Good luck to the poor fuck who has to follow this up. :lol:

csant
07-20-12, 06:57 AM
He didn't fly the bomb all the way out into the ocean. Despite what he told Catwoman, the Bat-Plane was flying on auto-pilot.

Yeah, the same way Fox told Wayne he can tinker with another toy. I'm sure its implied that he tinker with the bat and added auto pilot.

Fantastic movie... only problem i had was that from time to time I couldn't understand what bane was saying. This movie is going to make so much money.... we'll be seeing another one in 3 years. heh

sharkstank
07-20-12, 07:16 AM
Four stars.

But Jesus, the Colorado thing is terrible. 14 people were just like us, watching Dark Knight Rises at the movies and were gunned down. Simply awful.

07-20-12, 07:32 AM
So still groggy from the lack of sleep but I loved it (minor nitpicks/questions aside below). Thought Bane posed a decent enough villain, especially with his physical force. I was on the edge of my seat in their first fight and the fact that there wasn't any music during it really amped it up.

So about the autopilot, don't we see several shots of Bruce in the Bat, intercut with shots of the bomb counting down and close to zero? Where was he if the Bat was on autopilot?

Does the bomb still have a 6 mile blast radius and wouldn't the entire lake/river/ocean be contaminated and spread everywhere?

Wouldn't Bruce eventually get his money back after the stock market trades are investigated or is it one of those where the money can't really be recovered?

Dragon Tattoo
07-20-12, 07:41 AM
So about the autopilot, don't we see several shots of Bruce in the Bat, intercut with shots of the bomb counting down and close to zero? Where was he if the Bat was on autopilot?

Someone on another forum I frequent pointed out that Bruce got out when the Bat was still close to the ground near the beginning, when it was dragging the bomb along the ground and was seemingly struggling with it, he was actually programming the autopilot. A few others confirmed that there were no shots of him actually in the plane after that, just reaction shots from other characters.

I can't confirm this for myself until I see it again, but I did notice how strange it seemed that he seemed to be struggling with the bomb during the beginning but then the plane took off with it effortlessly.

mdc3000
07-20-12, 07:50 AM
Overall I thought it was great, despite being able to predict most "twist & turns" from a mile away, and knowing exactly how it would end. Two things I was worried about, Catwoman and The Bat, ended up being the two best things in the movie. I think Bane needed to be a bit more fierce and I didn't get a sense that Gotham was ruined enough. I also wish Nolan had tightened up the middle and think they could have chopped at least 20 minutes to make it tighter (or given us 20 better minutes). It may not top the previous 2 but I'll still see it a few more times and overall had a blast with it.

madcougar
07-20-12, 09:00 AM
Wow. I wake up from four hours of sleep to read about the shooting in CO at a midnight showing of DKR. What a bring down...

About the movie however... this is one of those movies that I think I'm going to like more and more as time goes on. Lord knows that I like it more now than I did whilst I was watching it. I won't give you an spoilers, but the movie is 2 1/2 hours long, and amazingly, the first half hour feels super rushed. I'm sure you've heard of the concept of deus ex machina. Well if you've never heard the term, look it up. As you watch the first half hour, you'll go "Oh yeah... deus ex machina." Not that the setup is bad or anything... It's just... convenient.

The rest of the movie just moves. I never once wondered what time it was, and I never felt as if the movie had gone too long. As per usual Christopher Nolan movie, there were a few scenes that they could probably cut, but not too many. There are some great call backs to Batman Begins and some really great twists. I was really happy I've avoided most spoilers for sure as I was genuinely surprised at the end. For me it was almost as if the movie itself spent it's entirety "rising" out of the muck into greatness. And it almost gets there.

madcougar
07-20-12, 09:08 AM
After reading some of your comments...

If anyone thought that Warner Bros. and DC Comics were going to let Christopher Nolan kill Bruce Wayne and Batman... well you're an idiot.

Iron_Giant
07-20-12, 09:19 AM
I am so sorry for those in Aurora Co.

My wife and I watched the 2nd Mission Impossible movie in the exact theater, I grew up in Aurora, went to HS at Aurora Central High and watched many other movies there in my youth.

Still have many friends there, will have to look on Facebook to make sure they are OK.

Crazy dudes really scare me, but we still have to live our lives.

I shed tears for you Aurora...

jmu878
07-20-12, 09:26 AM
I'm still digesting my showing, but I do agree that this is probably the weakest of the three. A minor quibble in Nolan's wrapping up is his complete ignoring of the joker. I know that he wasn't going to be in the film, but a couple lines of dialogue explaining his whereabouts would have been nice. It just felt like a Loose end when every other villain in the series at least had a mention. Also, I hated the John Blake twist, it really doesn't make any sense.

M1000be
07-20-12, 11:13 AM
My minor nitpick for the movie? Gotham never looks the same. They have made NO attempt to make the Gotham from Begins carry on. In each film, Gotham looks completely different and it ruins it. In the Dark Knight, it's this grungy run down City, with certain parts looking beautiful. In The Dark Knight, it looks a quite a bit better, but still has it's grungy elements. In this one? It looks like a generic city. My concern is when I go to watch all these back to back, it'll take me out of the moment. Gotham is crucial to the Batman character and if it looks like he is in a different city each time, then it looses some of its mystique.

OldBoy
07-20-12, 12:17 PM
...wow!

bluetoast
07-20-12, 12:20 PM
One of the little moments I liked was that Bane beat the crap out of Batman one on one, and it was no big deal to him, he didn't even mention it to the football crowd. That's a moment when you know this is a scary guy.

FRwL
07-20-12, 12:22 PM
I'm so happy Joker was infact in this!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12167-6913.gif

Hah!

Draven
07-20-12, 12:27 PM
I think I need to see it again but my gut reaction was that it is the weakest of the three. There are too many characters, not enough Batman and more than a few moments that made me go "really?"

Someone said it felt sloppy and that pretty much nailed it for me. They spend the first chunk of the movie pulling together all of the threads from TDK and it felt like work to me. Bane has nothing on the Joker...aside from the apparent ability to teleport around the city. If you did a shot every time Bane entered a room immediately after he entered another room, you'd be on the floor in no time. Or left Batman alive when killing him would have been the logical thing to do. That happens a lot in the movie too.

I can't really put my finger on it but I think it's really the lack of the Joker that brings this movie down. There is nothing comparable in this movie and it shows. It won't make near the bank as TDK and The Avengers and I suppose it wrapped things up (aside from some real eye rolling moments toward the end) but ultimately it's just kind of "there" as a movie.

I did like Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt though. They are easily the highlights.

DonnachaOne
07-20-12, 12:30 PM
"Hi, I'm Christopher Nolan. I like to have a last shot that undermines everything you just saw."

Batman dies.

Sure it had autopilot, but Batman still sacrifices himself. He knew he'd be more inspiring as a martyr.

Alfred "seeing" him in Florence is just his usual fantasy.

Do I necessarily believe that? Doesn't matter. I'm not looking forward to everyone's "OMG MIND BLOWN" comments when they "discover" this, however.

M1000be
07-20-12, 12:30 PM
Really? I usually love Anne , but found her to be phoning this one in and just seemed to be a throw away character.

M1000be
07-20-12, 12:37 PM
"Hi, I'm Christopher Nolan. I like to have a last shot that undermines everything you just saw."

Batman dies.

Sure it had autopilot, but Batman still sacrifices himself. He knew he'd be more inspiring as a martyr.

Alfred "seeing" him in Florence is just his usual fantasy.

Do I necessarily believe that? Doesn't matter. I'm not looking forward to everyone's "OMG MIND BLOWN" comments when they "discover" this, however.

I'd believe that...But

The pearls. Bruce took them from Selina and in the cafe seen, you can clearly see Selina with Bruce, wearing the pearls. It's obvious it's the one thing he took from his wealth. You combine that with the fact that the auto-pilot was fixed and you have a clear indication that Bruce is alive and well. He just knew there was nothing left in Gotham for him and he was emotionally and physically done as The Batman. Not to mention, it was obvious to Bruce that Blake was more than willing to pick up where he would leave off.

jmu878
07-20-12, 12:40 PM
How is Blake fit to be Batman? That's my whole issue with this. Bruce had training from a master assassin and head of a ninja clan. Blake is just a mid level city cop.

M1000be
07-20-12, 12:42 PM
How is Blake fit to be Batman? That's my whole issue with this. Bruce had training from a master assassin and head of a ninja clan. Blake is just a mid level city cop.

This. And would the outfit even fit him? I don't think so.
But, I think the whole point is what it symbolizes and as viewers, we are just suppose to respect that.

mhg83
07-20-12, 01:09 PM
After reading some of your comments...

If anyone thought that Warner Bros. and DC Comics were going to let Christopher Nolan kill Bruce Wayne and Batman... well you're an idiot.

but since this is set in Nolans version of batman, he should be able to do what he wants with the character. Batman's #1 rule is to not kill but in Burton's version he kills the joker. So I say let batman/bruce wayne die in Nolan's version. Warner Bros. Will be rebooting the series in a few years anyways

mh4268
07-20-12, 01:15 PM
I liked the movie, but nowhere near as much as I like TDK after the first viewing. I had Rocky 3 flashbacks when Alfred is telling Bruce that Bane is different foe and he can't beat him, to Mickey telling Rocky he can't beat Clubber Lang and I truly wanted "Eye of the Tiger" to play when Bruce climbs out of the prison

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:16 PM

And we'll never know.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:18 PM
Is this going to turn into an Inception type of discussion, where we ask if the totem actually fell or not?

Whoops, too late.

Shilex
07-20-12, 01:19 PM
Saw Rises last night. First off, my heart goes out to all the victims in the Colorado shootings. Simply tragic.

So I'm still not sure how I feel about Rises. I think it will require a second viewing. I do know that I have a feeling of disappointment. Something just felt "off" about this movie. Nolan didn't seem to be firing on all cylinders for me. The editing felt rough and rushed. Dialogue seemed to linger at times, and at other times felt like it was cut off. There was no real plateau of action or sense of urgency. Moments that should have been used to create some kind of emotional resonance, just seemed to fall flat or move on too quickly to the next scene. Action scenes that could have used a quick edit or cut, was just a standard one shot hold. It was like the actors were sludging through quicksand when fists were flying. It felt slow with no real impact. This movie also suffered a bit from what I like to call "speechifying" - when characters just give long speeches that really don't propel the plot forward. I really wasn't as interested or invested in these characters as in the other Batmans (even Alfred who just disappears for most of the movie, which seemed somewhat out of character). I think the main problem is that my expectations were too high, especially after the Dark Knight. That's a hard movie to top. It was an enjoyable movie though, and there were defininitely some very good moments in the film (like the intro with the planes, catwoman's scene in the bar, Batman's first time back, and I really got a real kick out of the last 15 minutes). I definitely need to watch it again to really grasp how I feel about it. Right now, I would give it three and a half stars out of five. I definitely expected (and wanted) more out of these characters.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:20 PM
I thought it was bloody brilliant! People were wiping tears away after the show. Even nerds were brought to tears, but it usually doesn't take much.

Really enjoyed Bane. I thought he was scarier than the Joker.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:20 PM
Seeing it in IMAX tomorrow to really catch all the nuances that I missed this morning.

Draven
07-20-12, 01:21 PM
And we'll never know.

Which pretty much makes the whole idea pointless to include.

Especially since his real name is "Robin". There aren't eyerolls big enough for that. It's obvious they think the audience is so dumb that he needs to be named Robin instead of Dick Grayson. But that's like finding our Bruce Wayne's real name is "Batman". If they had kept everything else and cut that stupid line it would have been a lot better. That's the kind of clunky stuff this movie is filled with.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:25 PM
Which pretty much makes the whole idea pointless to include.

Especially since his real name is "Robin". There aren't eyerolls big enough for that. It's obvious they think the audience is so dumb that he needs to be named Robin instead of Dick Grayson. But that's like finding our Bruce Wayne's real name is "Batman". If they had kept everything else and cut that stupid line it would have been a lot better. That's the kind of clunky stuff this movie is filled with.

No it doesn't, because the fanboys can come up with crazy theories as to what the next rebooting will have. Nolan already made it clear that this was it. That reference will never leave the Nolanverse into some new films.

Now if the studio wants to tarnish that by making another then they can.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:31 PM
AND

Robin was his real name. It's not like he was Codename: Robin.

Draven
07-20-12, 01:37 PM
AND

Robin was his real name. It's not like he was Codename: Robin.

If they wanted to make it look like Blake was going to become Robin, they could have gotten the same effect without naming him "Robin". That's like putting up a big sign that says "Look...here's Robin!"

bluetoast
07-20-12, 01:39 PM
Yeah where was Alfred during the takeover, in or out of Gotham?

Also Daniel Sunjata had a good appearance, sucks that he was in and out of the movie in five minutes though.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:42 PM
If they wanted to make it look like Blake was going to become Robin, they could have gotten the same effect without naming him "Robin". That's like putting up a big sign that says "Look...here's Robin!"

The scene lasted 2 seconds. What makes you think he's going to be "Robin" when he's already named Robin?

He was being set up to be BATMAN. It's bloody obvious!

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 01:43 PM
Yeah where was Alfred during the takeover, in or out of Gotham?

Also Daniel Sunjata had a good appearance, sucks that he was in and out of the movie in five minutes though.

Alfred shook the spot, homie.

Labor
07-20-12, 02:33 PM
A badly made and written film, as per usual for Nolan, but not as excruciatingly stupid as Dark Knight

Draven
07-20-12, 02:37 PM
The scene lasted 2 seconds. What makes you think he's going to be "Robin" when he's already named Robin?

He was being set up to be BATMAN. It's bloody obvious!

Well that's even dumber. They might as well have revealed his real name was "Clark Kent".

xage
07-20-12, 02:40 PM
Wow - The Buzz Effect of Dark Knight Rises in Movie Talk Sub Forum!

Shooting In Colorado at DARK KNIGHT RISES screening (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603360-shooting-colorado-dark-knight-rises-screening.html)

So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603231-so-whos-watching-batman-begins-dark-knight-week.html)

Weekend Box Office (7/20-7/22):The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603362-weekend-box-office-7-20-7-22-dark-knight-reigns-supreme.html)

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)-The Reviews Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603255-dark-knight-rises-nolan-2012-reviews-thread.html)

The Dark Knight Rises(Nolan) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan.html)

yoshimi
07-20-12, 02:42 PM
I give it a 4. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would and a great way to end the trilogy.

Batman Begins - 4
The Dark Knight - 3
The Dark Knight Rises - 4

The Avengers is still better.

Seven%Solution
07-20-12, 02:52 PM
It's a Bruce Wayne film. Not a Batman film.

Tom Creo
07-20-12, 02:53 PM
Here come the excuses.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 02:53 PM
A badly made and written film, as per usual for Nolan, but not as excruciatingly stupid as Dark Knight

Cool story, bro.

rotfl

Kal-El
07-20-12, 02:54 PM
Went to the midnight showing last night and I would put this juuust below TDK. It felt a little too long and too many things including the ending were telegraphed too early. I thought Anne Hathaway was great as Selina Kyle and JGL was awesome. It seemed in parts that his was equally his story and Bruce's. I absolutely loved the line "you should use your full name". I was expecting it to be Richard or Dick and when they said it, I was genuinely surprised and was grinning ear to ear.

I just think there were more memorable moments in TDK. In the middle of watching that I knew right away I was going to see it agin at least twice. With this one, I can wait for the Blu.

In terms of overall enjoyment though, Avengers still reigns supreme for me. Tha one I'll catch one more time before the summer's over.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 02:54 PM
It's a Bruce Wayne film. Not a Batman film.

Agreed.

Batman IS dead, but Bruce Wayne is still alive, obviously.

Why So Blu?
07-20-12, 02:56 PM
I actually enjoyed this one more than the Avengers due to it being the third film and official end to the trilogy. It was Return of the King all over again.

boredsilly
07-20-12, 02:59 PM
Liked it. Didn't love it. There were just so many plot threads going on, that it felt like none of them were served perfectly. But I enjoyed it, and will probably go and see it again.

I've totally avoided everything for the movie up until today, so I've just now heard Bane speak for the first time, and that was an odd choice for a voice. I didn't dislike it, but it felt like Hardy was trying to respond to Ledgers left-field take on Joker, with an out of left-field take of his own on Bane. He looked like a badass though. It would have been nice to see a better fight between Bane and Batman. What we got lacked potency. Or maybe Haywire has just ruined the standard hand-to-hand fight scene for me.

To be nerdy though, I did not like the Bat. I get that these movies try to go for a more practical durable look, but the Bat looked very out of place to me. It felt like something from Minority Report or Transformers to me. That design would be much better served in a GI Joe flick. But this is a minor complaint.

Raul3
07-20-12, 03:13 PM
Loved it.

But living in the West Coast it was really sad leaving the theater, checking my phone, and learning about the Colorado killings.

faust69
07-20-12, 03:16 PM
Well, I want to add my hat to the ones who loved it. It surpassed my expectations. My family enjoyed it as well. The friends with us high-fived us all as we were leaving the theater. The 9-yr old wants to see it again so I'm sure I'm seeing it again very soon!

wm lopez
07-20-12, 03:18 PM
No it doesn't, because the fanboys can come up with crazy theories as to what the next rebooting will have. Nolan already made it clear that this was it. That reference will never leave the Nolanverse into some new films.

Now if the studio wants to tarnish that by making another then they can.
There has to be more BATMAN movies.
Different director and lead actor is fine.
I don't want another origin movie.

csant
07-20-12, 03:19 PM
At my theater they made a mistake and played TDK and the funny thing was everyone was quite till about 10 mins... I guess people were thinking it was a flash back or something. rofl...

Strevlac
07-20-12, 03:52 PM
Easily one of the best movies I've seen in my life.

That's so cute.