Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Strevlac
No he hasn't. It's just that some of the slower folks are just now noticing.
I disagree, Nolan's strong point has always been structure. But condesending remarks do go far here.
Old 07-19-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Those nasty bullies can't hurt you anymore, Strevlac.
Old 07-19-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it twice now (two different staff screenings). I wish the Nolans had chosen to handle things differently, though it's nice to see them try some more humor. Incredibly well-informed characters over-explain things in an unnatural fashion to each other quite a bit. The action sequences are nice, if a little clunky and drawn-out, and I wish a Batman film had more sequences of Batman being Batman. It ties things up nicely - the brothers seem to be Brad Bird fans - before pinning an "isn't this a very Christopher Nolan ending" last shot on there.

Spoiler:
Really though, Cillian Murphy? I just wanna hug him.
Old 07-19-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Harry Knowles hates it, which means I already like it a lot more than I thought I did:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109

I really expect to rate TDKR higher on a second viewing, which happened with the previous two movies. Nobody can accused Nolan of aiming low.
Old 07-19-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the Avengers suck now. I can always count on DVDtalk to bring the funny.
Old 07-19-12, 10:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Harry Knowles hates it, which means I already like it a lot more than I thought I did:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57109
I'm guessing Warner didn't play to Knowles' massive ego and he's pissed about it.

Edit: Jesus, even after all this time he still writes like a twelve year old. How the hell did this guy get famous for anything?
Old 07-19-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of surprised at that level of frothing at the mouth vitriol from Harry for a film of this stature.

Indeed, someone at Warner's really pissed him off.
Old 07-20-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back. Loved it. Wraps up the trilogy nicely. Just really, really well done.
Originally Posted by M1000be
With that said.
I still prefer Batman Begins over The Dark Knight, so I am hoping that this one falls somewhere in between the two. As good as The Dark Knight is, I just can't re-watch it as often as I can Batman Begins.
You'll be happy then. It definitely feels more like a direct sequel to Batman Begins than to Dark Knight.

Originally Posted by raven56706
finally i can talk about it.... its awesome movie.... its big... a big movie... tons of chaos...Some things are crazy to see if it were real.. Bane is badass but not Joker badass..
Pretty much covers it. Hardy was fantastic, and both fights with Batman are very intense.
Old 07-20-12, 02:12 AM
En vacance

I think Knowles's point is that Wayne went awol because of that dumb reason. Oh and sucky fist fights.
Old 07-20-12, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Just got back from the Air & Space Museum IMAX (D.C., not that Dulles one). There was a pretty convincing looking Bane in the audience who arrived with Catwoman to applause. I arrived around 90 minutes early and it was still kind of crowded.

I'm not going to post too many thoughts now, except that Bane's voice is definitely different than in the MI preview, in that it was new audio for him (intonation on certain words was different) and it was clearer.

I really enjoyed this, but for now I'm going to say that I prefer TDK. And no matter what they say, if Heath were alive, he would definitely be in this, even if only for a second. It was great to see Crane once again.
Old 07-20-12, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FRwL
I think Knowles's point is that Wayne went awol because of that dumb reason.
I will be a bit disappointed if they portray Batman going all pansy due to that ugly woman being killed.
Old 07-20-12, 02:40 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I'm so happy Joker was infact in this!

I've seen it twice now (two different staff screenings). I wish the Nolans had chosen to handle things differently, though it's nice to see them try some more humor. Incredibly well-informed characters over-explain things in an unnatural fashion to each other quite a bit. The action sequences are nice, if a little clunky and drawn-out, and I wish a Batman film had more sequences of Batman being Batman. It ties things up nicely - the brothers seem to be Brad Bird fans - before pinning an "isn't this a very Christopher Nolan ending" last shot on there.
Exactly my thought...which is why...I am looking forward to seeing someone else's take on it. I love Nolan and his vision...but I do want to see more Batman. I actually kind of agree with a lot of what Knowles wrote.

Last edited by dex14; 07-20-12 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 02:52 AM
Cool New Member

Good movie. Great? No.

I'm a diehard Nolan fan. I'm also a diehard Batman fan and I've supported everything he has done with the franchise, but there was some missteps in this one. The biggest thing was the fact that sometimes thinks just happened for apparently no reason or without explanation. Examples? The first meeting of Batman and Catwoman. He just appeared there, for no apparent reason. There was no lead up to it. The same of how he gets back to Gotham. There are far too many times that things just happen without us knowing why or how.

In fact, dare I say, the first half of this film feels like a comic book. We get Alfred explaining to Bruce how Bane really is, but it's all dialogue and we don't even know how Alfred gets the information. This happens time and time again in the first act of the film. We hear about Bane and his past from other people, but the way its presented is heavy handed and just feels cheap. A prime example is when
Spoiler:
Gordon is put in the hospital. The Blake character says he was talking about someone named Bane and the tunnels. The problem? Bane's name is never mentioned once on screen while Gordon is around. It's a glaring problem.

It really is odd, because the first half drags as it introduces new characters, but at the same time, it feels completely different in tone than the rest of the film. It isn't until Bane actually starts showing up more often that the film actually takes off and reminds you just why the trilogy has worked.

-shrugs-
I'll see it again and I'll most certainly buy it when it comes out, but at the same time, I left feeling confused. I loved the ending and felt it was a fitting way, but at the same time, I wonder if Nolan bit off more than he could chew with the storyline and characters.
Old 07-20-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from the theater and I fucking LOVED this movie. Will probably go into greater details later on, but what an amazing way to close out the trilogy. Christopher Nolan is a pure genius.

Can't wait to rewatch.
Old 07-20-12, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After doing my best to tune out of social media and reviews and other spoiler-ish spots on the web for the past few weeks, finally got to see TDKR tonight at midnight. The film runs a little long at 165 minutes, but most is forgiven as Christopher Nolan sets out to put the finishing touches on his Batman film trilogy in grand fashion, and his and his brother's script allows moments to breathe and keep the central storyline moving at a good clip.

I still don't like Bane's voice, and he had far too much dialogue, it all started sounding like Charlie Brown's teachers after a while.

I did like Anne Hathaway's Catwoman/Seline Kyle, just the right amount of deadly wrapped up in sexy and flirty.

Overall, I liked how the ending coda wrapped things up.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+ (will have to check it out on IMAX soon).
Old 07-20-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched TDK and TDKR back-to-back in IMAX. I thought that TDKR suffered from this as it was the longer of the two but had a slower pace and had several characters that I thought could have been easily trimmed. Perhaps TDKR will grow on me more when feeling resumes in my ass.
Old 07-20-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Just got back and liked it up until the last ten minutes. Nolan always seems to keep the batman movies grounded in reality. But not this one. I'm talking about
Spoiler:
flying a Nuclear bomb out to the ocean having it detonate and still able to survive??? Nolan didn't have the balls to to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman and felt like a big gotcha moment at the end.

Completely ruins the film and have lost respect for Christopher and Jonathan.
Old 07-20-12, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing. Great film and I can't wait to watch it again.

Must try to get some sleep now. Tomorrow at work should be fun.
Old 07-20-12, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Just got back and liked it up until the last ten minutes. Nolan always seems to keep the batman movies grounded in reality. But not this one. I'm talking about
Spoiler:
flying a Nuclear bomb out to the ocean having it detonate and still able to survive??? Nolan didn't have the balls to to kill Bruce Wayne/Batman and felt like a big gotcha moment at the end.

Completely ruins the film and have lost respect for Christopher and Jonathan.
He didn't fly the bomb all the way out into the ocean. Despite what he told Catwoman, the Bat-Plane was flying on auto-pilot.
Old 07-20-12, 03:54 AM
Banned

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) ? The Reviews Thread

Saw it. Liked it, but it's without a doubt the sloppiest of the three movies. A Best Picture nom is out of the question and this time there will be very little outrage. Exposition and overexplaining things made the dialogue very unnatural at times. Caine overdid it during a certain brief crying scene, you'll know it when you see it. More later.
Old 07-20-12, 04:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This did not disappoint. I do like how it was previously stated that this is more in line as a sequel to Begins. Though that first fight scene with Bane was very intense. Great work from Hathaway, she totally nailed it as Selina. Loved Batman's line "so thats what it feels like."
Old 07-20-12, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because i'm trying to get into doing reviews, here's mine (its as spoiler free as possible)
http://t.co/u1YuUMj
the short end, i loved it, and even consider it the best of the trilogy

Per IMDB "Out of respect for Heath Ledger, the Joker is never once mentioned for the whole film." since he didn't die in TDK, i'm wondering if had Ledger not died, if they'd find a way to have him make a cameo
Spoiler:
as both Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy have cameos

Last edited by Rypro 525; 07-20-12 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was average. 2.5/5 stars.

It had average acting, average cinematography, an average storyline, average dialogue, etc etc. It wasn't better or worse than a lot of other films. The funny thing is, there are some great moments in the movie, but they're brought down by some extreme contrivances and an overall flat feeling throughout the whole movie. There were moments that really wowed me, but again, a lot of the movie just feels flat and sorta dead.

The funny thing is, that batshit insane review that was posted here earlier this week that had absurd - though not true - spoilers, ended up being a pretty good evaluation of the movie's overall theme.
Old 07-20-12, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Amazing. Great film and I can't wait to watch it again.

Must try to get some sleep now. Tomorrow at work should be fun.
Ditto.

Loved it, not best movie of the year, but a great ending to a great series.

1. TDK
2. Batman Begins
3. TDKR

LOVED Catwoman, 100x better than I thought she would be.

The last 20 min had some awesome twist coming fast and furious.
Old 07-20-12, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I just got back, and I think its fair to say that, for me, The Dark Knight Trilogy has the same parabolic course in quality as The Original Star Wars Trilogy point-per-point.

1) Excellent
2) One of the Greatest Movies Ever Made
3) Good but Clunky

Spoiler:
Robin. Really?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.