Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK. The Dent thing seems really dumb so I am excited to see if he can outdo himself on Friday.
Old 07-18-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

good attitude to go in with.
Old 07-18-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK. The Dent thing seems really dumb so I am excited to see if he can outdo himself on Friday.
"Hated the last movie. Cant wait to pay to see the next one so I can hate it even more!"

Ladies and gents: True Fanboyism. QED.
Old 07-18-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buh..buh...but I've got movie cash that came along with my copy of Sucker Punch!
Old 07-18-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So people aren't allowed to dislike this movie? Lest they be labeled a true fanboy?

Movie cash aside.
Old 07-18-12, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the end no one really gives a shit. This movie is too big for people like you three to ruin.

27 hours to go.
Old 07-18-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I just saw it and am still processing it -- it leaves a very good impression but there are a few things I'm still working through -- say this for Nolan, his movies do provide a lot to chew on. I loved "Avengers" but that was like a fast food meal and this is more of a fine-dining experience, not to get all artsy-fartsy.

I will say I l*loved* Joseph Gordon-Levitt who just gets better and better and Anne Hathaway was amazing too.

However...
Spoiler:
while Bane was visually pretty amazing there wasn't a very believable character under there. His "motivation" seemed cribbed from Occupy protests and The Anarchists' Cookbook and just kind of lacking, compared to the Joker who somehow was a more potent agent of chaos. Also, the mask really does restrict what Hardy can do with the character I felt, and his voice sounded a bit too much like Rex Harrison or Alec Guinness from the 1960s somehow. Still, it's not a terrible villain, better than Scarecrow was in Begins.
Old 07-18-12, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still think I enjoyed The Avengers more. Whedon knocked that one so far out of the park, it's hard for even this to top it.
Old 07-18-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshimi
Nolan has set the bar for stupidity with the ferry boat outcome in TDK.
That was the thematic linchpin of the entire movie.

"This city just showed you that it's full of people ready to believe in good."
Old 07-18-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
So people aren't allowed to dislike this movie? Lest they be labeled a true fanboy?
Not even close to what I was implying. Anyone can dislike whatever they want. But if you walk into anything, having hated the previous iteration and drooling with impish anticipation of hating the next, you're the typical Internet fanboy. Bitter, close-minded, more than a little desperate, and quite frankly a bit odious what with the pequerino toenail cheese aroma.
Old 07-18-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

putting my particular aromas aside, what would you call the legion of posters who reduce every (reasoned and reasonable) criticism to a binary encapsulation?

I go to the same place everyday at work for a Greek salad. Everytime I pick the olives out of the salad and then eat the salad and throw away the olives. Does that mean I hate the salad? Does that mean I hate olives (all olives?) Does that mean I always hate olives on my salads?
Only in fanboy logic can you draw any of those conclusions and use them as a certain truth to hit someone over the head with.
I have said repeatedly when discussing Nolan, that I love some of the flourishes he done with these characters. I think Bale is an ideal Wayne and the supporting casts have been stellar.
There are also aspects to the films I've thought were absolutely lame, foolish, contradictory, and laughable. Unfortunately that includes a lot of what other respected critics seem to find profound and transcendent about these movies.

The impression that these films (which get lavished with words like 'brilliant' and 'deep' and 'heavy' in one mass media review after the other) seem to inspire such a reductive outlook amongst their most rabid fans, makes for such an amusing contradiction when their conceptualization and contextualization of criticism is usually stupid, shallow, and weightless.

But don't take my word for it- read the comments on Rotten Tomatoes
oh wait...

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-18-12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 11:35 PM
Banned

If Warner were smart, they'd abandon the Batman reboots for awhile after this movie and make a Batman Beyond movie. Any Batman after this iteration is doomed to, well, maybe not outright failure, but at the very least endless comparison to the Nolan films.
Old 07-19-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
If Warner were smart, they'd abandon the Batman reboots for awhile after this movie and make a Batman Beyond movie. Any Batman after this iteration is doomed to, well, maybe not outright failure, but at the very least endless comparison to the Nolan films.
I am down for a Batman Beyond film.
Old 07-19-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd rather not see Batman for awhile. Plenty of other projects out there. Whether or not people like The Amazing Spiderman, most will agree that it was unnecessary and I think people will be worn out by it.
Old 07-19-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I'd rather not see Batman for awhile. Plenty of other projects out there. Whether or not people like The Amazing Spiderman, most will agree that it was unnecessary and I think people will be worn out by it.
I feel the same way. Unfortunately going by how they approach their animated direct to video program, we'll likely get a new Batman before many other equally worthy properties are explored.

I could see a Spectre movie having a lot of creative potential to offer an up and coming Del Toro type director- as well as a lot of BO potential, especially if released in the fall.
But since he doesn't have much connection to the JLA , I doubt we'll get it before a new Batman (probably only 5 or 6 years away).

That's just one example of dozens of characters DC could exploit but won't.
If they are loathe to invest the meager amounts in the direct to video, how could they ever be expected to lavish hundreds of millions on live action material?

But then again we apparently have Lobo coming (sigh).
Old 07-19-12, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Well, yes, but that's clearly not even an option, since Warner has already said that they're looking into future Batman projects now. Even if there are "plenty of other" projects, none of them will do as well as Batman (just look at Green Lantern and the last Superman movie), which has been Warner's top Superhero money maker for like the past 20 years. It's the only hero property they have that is guaranteed to make them money.

So, among future options that are in any way feasible, I'd rather they do Batman Beyond than yet another iteration of the original Batman.

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Unfortunately going by how they approach their animated direct to video program, we'll likely get a new Batman before many other equally worthy properties are explored.
Also not really Warner's fault, since their Batman animated films greatly outsell any other DC property they have. Even a shitty project like Gotham Knights outsold the Wonder Woman and Green Lantern projects they did.

There's a reason there are like 15 Batman-family comics among the new 52.
Old 07-19-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, Batman Beyond sounds great:

Bruce: "Pete- I mean, Terry, you've got to learn some responsibility! you're Batman now, and you've got to accept the burden that comes with it!"

Terry: "I want a life of my own! I'm tired of not getting what I want, even though I was a completely lost, directionless, apathetic teenager with no ambition and drive to complete anything on my own! I'm Batman - no more!"

Bruce: "That reminds me of a really old story about my complex relationship with a villain that I never bothered to fully resolve and warn you about the impending dangers of because I wanted to retain some premise of dramatic tension even though its put you, the people you love, and the entire city in danger again and again"

(host of supporting characters): "we are completely flat, undeveloped, totally incompetent, and escalate every single dangerous situation by ten fold by our inability to display any amount of common sense"

Bruce: "Terry, being Batman is too dangerous! you've got to stop this!"

Terry: "but you just said - "
Old 07-19-12, 01:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
Yeah, Batman Beyond sounds great:
It does. But as you've so succinctly proven, it needs someone who is actually a competent writer and not someone who takes the most basic tropes from the series and twists them to their own agenda.

Just like any story.
Old 07-19-12, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see Keaton come back to do The Dark Knight Returns.
Old 07-19-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does. But as you've so succinctly proven, it needs someone who is actually a competent writer and not someone who takes the most basic tropes from the series and twists them to their own agenda.

Just like any story.
Oh come on, it was a joke.

BTW have you seen concept fan art for a Batman Beyond movie? it looks really good.
Old 07-19-12, 02:47 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmanca
I'm on board for that. He still looks great in The Other Guys as the Police commissioner.
Old 07-19-12, 03:03 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by gmanca
Don't go chasing waterfalls.
Old 07-19-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was that accidental or are you trying to quote TLC?
Old 07-19-12, 03:19 AM
Banned by request

Quote who now?
Old 07-19-12, 06:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
Oh come on, it was a joke.

BTW have you seen concept fan art for a Batman Beyond movie? it looks really good.
Yeah, it does. However, apparently Nolan is apparently king daddy boss of comic movies over at Warner now, though, so I'm wondering just how feasible a Batman Beyond project would be.

He'll apparently be grandfathering/producing/overseeing whatever new Batman projects Warner undertakes, even if he won't be directing them, just like he's doing with the new Superman films. Plus, they do obviously want a Batman more in line with the comics so they can do a Justice League movie, so they probably will just end up rebooting the main series again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.