Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Newsroom -- "I'll Try To Fix You" -- 7/15/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Will becomes tabloid fodder after a confrontation with a gossip columnist on New Year's Eve, which threatens to undermine his credibility on a current news investigation. Meanwhile, Don urges Maggie to set Jim up on a date with her roommate; Mac's boyfriend pitches a story about the government's inability to prosecute financial crimes; and Neal tries out his Bigfoot theory on anyone who will listen.

Episode 4 of 10

Promo:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1267862"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 4: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1267862%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2.swf?vid=1267862" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Ep. 4: Preview&copyShareURL=http%3A//www.hbo.com/video/video.html/%3Fautoplay%3Dtrue%26vid%3D1267862%26filter%3Dthe-newsroom%26view%3Dnull" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object>
Old 07-15-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "I'll Try To Fix You" -- 7/15/12

Damn, I love this show.

Maggie's facial expression when Don suggested Jim going out with the roommate was amazing.
Old 07-15-12, 10:32 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

This episode was extremely funny.
Old 07-15-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Out-fucking-standing
Old 07-15-12, 10:39 PM

Was this the last episode the critics watched and reviewed as the worst of the bunch? Because this was the best of the 4 so far.

Outstanding episode.
Old 07-15-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it wrong that I'm turned on by that?
Yes!

I really liked this episode quite a bit. I hope this show stays on long enough to report on the Supreme Court ruling and how CNN and Fox News got it wrong.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 07-16-12 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best episode yet. Except for the Bigfoot stuff. Dude actually called them in on Saturday so they'd listen to a Bigfoot presentation.
Old 07-16-12, 12:42 AM

Really liked this episode a lot. This was the first episode since the premiere that seemed to have the Sorkin rhythm to it. I was really worried in the first episode that they were going to make Don into the enemy, I couldn't care less about the relationship story with him, but for some reason I like what they're doing with him in the studio. The best thing about this show is easily Sam Waterston, he hasn't been this funny since he was selling robot insurance for Old Glory. And, I don't know why, but I loved the absurdity of the Bigfoot stuff, and his obsession with it.
Old 07-16-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is it wrong that I'm turned on by that?
Yes!

I really liked this episode quite a bit. I hope this show stays on long enough to report on the Supreme Court ruling and how CNN and Fox News got it wrong.
This show certainly appears like it's going to have a pretty long run.

Loved this episode and Alison Pill.
Old 07-16-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

did CNN, Fox and MSNBC all call it wrong on Gabbie Giffords being dead when she wasn't? There was a subtle moment i liked too when at the beginning of the breaking news cast, he said 'we have breaking news, Gabby... Gabrielle Giffords" nice little touch
Old 07-16-12, 05:14 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
This show certainly appears like it's going to have a pretty long run.

Loved this episode and Alison Pill.
Someone had mentioned it before...and I'm really starting to see it now. Pill's role almost seems tailored for Kristen Bell...or Pill is just channeling Bell in a way.
Old 07-16-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
did CNN, Fox and MSNBC all call it wrong on Gabbie Giffords being dead when she wasn't? There was a subtle moment i liked too when at the beginning of the breaking news cast, he said 'we have breaking news, Gabby... Gabrielle Giffords" nice little touch
They did. Everyone was saying she was dead because of the AP report.

Same thing with the Supreme Court decision. They all hear one thing and ran with it in their version of "First post!" without actually verifying.

I loved how after they waited to say she was actually live the whole sequence when everyone ran into the newsroom when Will called them it. Just great stuff!
Old 07-16-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcheckel
The best thing about this show is easily Sam Waterston, he hasn't been this funny since he was selling robot insurance for Old Glory.
Dude, I think of that every time I see Sam Waterston. And I can't take him seriously as a pitch man because of it.
Old 07-16-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Someone had mentioned it before...and I'm really starting to see it now. Pill's role almost seems tailored for Kristen Bell...or Pill is just channeling Bell in a way.
Yeah, I was trying to picture Bell in the role..But I like Pill a lot more.
Old 07-16-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really liked this episode a lot. This was the first episode since the premiere that seemed to have the Sorkin rhythm to it. I was really worried in the first episode that they were going to make Don into the enemy, I couldn't care less about the relationship story with him, but for some reason I like what they're doing with him in the studio.
I agree. The relationship stuff with Don, Jim, and Maggie really feels out of place to me. I just don't care, or buy into that dynamic at all. However, Don is the newsroom is really interesting. I like that he's shown as having different instincts than some of the others, but not being relegated to the cipher for Sorkin to show everything that is wrong with news. Don might be a shitty boyfriend, but he's a competent news man.
Old 07-16-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I agree. The relationship stuff with Don, Jim, and Maggie really feels out of place to me. I just don't care, or buy into that dynamic at all. However, Don is the newsroom is really interesting. I like that he's shown as having different instincts than some of the others, but not being relegated to the cipher for Sorkin to show everything that is wrong with news. Don might be a shitty boyfriend, but he's a competent news man.
Indeed, and I think Sorkin really tried to buck the perception that he's just a jackass with his stand at the end of the episode. I was actually impressed.
Old 07-16-12, 02:56 PM

Great great episode! The news stuff with the liars and at the end was phenomenal, and unlike others, I don't think the interpersonal relationship stuff is that bad. I thought the scenes with Will and his various dates were pretty funny and loved it when everyone in the office threw their cups of water at him... It reminded me of that one scene in Sports Night where Natalie throws the cup of water in Dan's face to try and help him get rid of his writer's block.

What's going on when critics are saying that the third and fourth episodes take a huge dip in quality and are the worst ones so far when I, and it seems a lot of other people, think they're the best ? Just weird...
Old 07-16-12, 03:06 PM

The tuxedos reminded me of sports night as well. The show seems so much like sports night.... I am waiting for someone to write a letter to their blind or deaf sister.

There also was similiar line to 'fritz' about how they were bad prosecutors just like Casey poked at Mcginley's character.

The show is entertaining but probably just scratches the long time sport night itch.
Old 07-16-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Really enjoyed this episode. I liked the relationship stuff in this episode, actually, not as cringe-inducing as the last couple weeks.
Old 07-16-12, 07:20 PM

I agree 100% about this being Sports Night, which is a good thing since that's one of my all time favorite shows. The Will/Mac relationship seems to be the Casey/Dana one a few years later. Charlie is Isaac, the boss trying to protect his staff from corporate which includes Reese being JJ (and the other corporate guys that followed him) trying to interfere in the production. Jim and Maggie are Jeremy and Natalie with the Dana/Gordon/Casey relationship pushed on to them and Don. I think that's why the Jim, Maggie, and Don stuff is the only real weak part for me, it was so dragged out on Sports Night, I'm fine with the other relationship stuff.

I think the biggest surprise about the show involves the season finale:
Spoiler:
Sorkin isn't ending the first season of one of his shows with an episode titled "What Kind of Day Has It Been"
Old 07-16-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get why all the TV critics were saying this was when it gets bad. This was a solid episode of TV. Also, I didn't hate Olivia Munn, and I HATE Olivia Munn.

Last edited by chuckd21; 07-16-12 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 08:26 PM

I think the biggest surprise about the show involves the season finale:
Spoiler:
Sorkin isn't ending the first season of one of his shows with an episode titled "What Kind of Day Has It Been"
I actually had that question in mind yesterday. Lol
Old 07-16-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I don't get why all the TV critics were saying this was when it gets bad. This was a solid episode of TV. Also, I didn't hate Olivia Munn, and I HATE Olivia Munn.
I don't get why there's so much hate for this girl. How do you all know enough about her to have such a strong opinion? She was on TDS for about 2 seconds and she was actually quite funny, not Samantha Bee, but pretty funny.

The only other thing I know is she's had some movie roles is so far not a single film that I'm interested in and she's been on some talk shows.

If I absolutely knew nothing about her, that she's one all these sexiest women in hollywood lists and such, I'd just say she does kind of stick out as one the weakest actors. I'm not sure there's any other weak link, acting-wise, on the show.

But she's not awful and, so far, not a lot has been asked of her. It's not like they gave the role to a Kardashian.
Old 07-16-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I don't get why there's so much hate for this girl. How do you all know enough about her to have such a strong opinion? She was on TDS for about 2 seconds and she was actually quite funny, not Samantha Bee, but pretty funny.

The only other thing I know is she's had some movie roles is so far not a single film that I'm interested in and she's been on some talk shows.

If I absolutely knew nothing about her, that she's one all these sexiest women in hollywood lists and such, I'd just say she does kind of stick out as one the weakest actors. I'm not sure there's any other weak link, acting-wise, on the show.

But she's not awful and, so far, not a lot has been asked of her. It's not like they gave the role to a Kardashian.
1. She used the drool power of nerds to make a name for herself.
2. Have you seen the hacked nudes? Where she drew arrows all over the pics telling Captain Kirk where to put his penis? Fucking weirdo.
Old 07-16-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Four episodes in and not a bad show yet...at this rate, THE NEWSROOM may replace HOMELAND as my favorite current series on the air. I'm already close to calling it my favorite HBO show, and that's saying a mouthful there. Why critics took a dump on the episodes after the pilot I have no idea - perhaps out of shame? (The show has a fun time showing how most other news organizations get it wrong.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.