DVD Talk
So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week?

StephenX
07-15-12, 11:28 AM
Sort of an anticipatory Dark Knight Rises thread, but I was curious who'd be rewatching Nolan's other two films this week prior to Thursday/Friday.

Seeing as how Nolan has stated a lot of the previous movies will come full circle and tie-in with TDKR, maybe we could discuss. Watching Begins, Ducard's first conversation with Bale foreshadows a lot about what may happen in TDKR regarding Batman being more than one man, but an idea.....

This has been discussed in other threads, but maybe a thread dedicated to these two movies an non-review, non-spoiler TDKR discussion could be here. (I'm avoiding TDKR threads/conversations everywhere, so maybe others are as well).

xage
07-15-12, 12:35 PM
$4.99 at Bestbuy (its a steelbook) using $5 trade and save

Sort of an anticipatory Dark Knight Rises thread, but I was curious who'd be rewatching Nolan's other two films this week prior to Thursday/Friday.

Seeing as how Nolan has stated a lot of the previous movies will come full circle and tie-in with TDKR, maybe we could discuss. Watching Begins, Ducard's first conversation with Bale foreshadows a lot about what may happen in TDKR regarding Batman being more than one man, but an idea.....

This has been discussed in other threads, but maybe a thread dedicated to these two movies an non-review, non-spoiler TDKR discussion could be here. (I'm avoiding TDKR threads/conversations everywhere, so maybe others are as well).

adrenaline78
07-15-12, 12:38 PM

But are you watching them this week?

Yes.. I'm going to the Dark Knight Rises Trilogy on the IMAX Thursday!

Mysteryfan
07-15-12, 12:46 PM
Watched BB last night and will get to DK sometime this week

GoldenJCJ
07-15-12, 12:56 PM
Watched them both again last week. I'm ready for TDKR!

gp1086
07-15-12, 01:00 PM
Watched both a couple months back. Can't wait until Thursday night!

Mike86
07-15-12, 01:21 PM
I haven't watched them in a while. I watched Batman Begins a few months back. I'm going to AMC's IMAX trilogy on Thursday though so I'll be watching all three in a row. Going to be a long day but worth it :lol:

Deftones
07-15-12, 01:34 PM
Yup. Plan on watching BB on Tuesday and DK on thursday.

PopcornTreeCt
07-15-12, 01:58 PM
I have seen them I'm good.

Dr. DVD
07-15-12, 02:08 PM
Watched Begins on Friday and half of TDK. Will finish it this week before TDKR.

fumanstan
07-15-12, 02:24 PM
I'll try and watch both on Blu-ray. Maybe i'll throw in Begins today.

Shannon Nutt
07-15-12, 02:30 PM
I am...was going to try the marathon thing, but just going to watch the blu-rays and then go see the new one.

superdeluxe
07-15-12, 02:34 PM
Not me

whotony
07-15-12, 03:11 PM
Yep, put the first one on my blu ray player earlier today.

stingermck
07-15-12, 03:15 PM
Watching both Thursday night

bootsy
07-15-12, 03:20 PM

FRwL
07-15-12, 04:00 PM
No, fuck no.

OldBoy
07-15-12, 04:01 PM
i guess i have to now.

RagingBull80
07-15-12, 04:10 PM
I'm going to the marathon on Thursday so yes.

StephenX
07-15-12, 05:59 PM
Watched Begins today....I still think I like this one a tad better than Dark Knight. The set design really made it 'feel' like Gotham, and less like downtown Chicago. Not that its a bad thing, and the different feel certainly serves TDK really well. The pacing is perfect in Begins as well.

I'll be watching TDK before Thursday, so we'll see.

Troy Stiffler
07-15-12, 06:11 PM
Will probably be going to the marathon.

PatD
07-15-12, 06:15 PM
I've seen "The Dark Knight" more times than "Batman Begins", and mainly because it's a better film. But BB is no slouch and I like it a lot too. Its just TDK is still an amazing work of cinema, while BB is a very cool comic book movie.

All in all, The Dark Knight is to Batman Begins what The Empire Strikes Back was to the original Star Wars. Hopefully TDKR won't be as big a dip in quality as Return of the Jedi. Hopefully it won't be a dip in quality at all.

Why So Blu?
07-15-12, 06:26 PM
Next Saturday in real IMAX and then Sunday in 35mm.

mhg83
07-15-12, 06:47 PM
Yes. Doing the dark Knight Trilogy on non imax. Thing that sucks is i have to be at work two hours later. thank God for caffeine pills and Energy Drinks!

Troy Stiffler
07-15-12, 06:55 PM
Yea, I have to skip Imax too. I might have enjoyed it. But it's sold out. And I wouldn't have liked the lines anyways.

Watching the trilogy at a regular (less popular) theater, I'll just show up an hour early. Tickets are still on sale today. So who knows if it will even sell out. I noticed that the more popular theaters are sold out (the mall theaters, and a few other big ones).

I don't mind having to sit close to the screen. But if I'm forced to sit in the front corner, I won't watch.

Speaking of which... as luxurious as normal theaters have become in the past ten years, why haven't they done away with those few ridiculously unusable seats. Who can even occupy those seats?

WeylandYutani
07-15-12, 07:04 PM
I'm good, no.

asianxcore
07-15-12, 07:24 PM
I will be sometime this week.

JumpCutz
07-15-12, 07:43 PM
Not re-watching them. I've had my lifetime fill of those films. I'll certainly see TDKR at some juncture out of curiosity though. Just not opening week.

redrum
07-15-12, 07:46 PM
just watched Dark Knight a few weeks ago but I just got a 70 inch tv last week so probably gonna have to watch it again

My Other Self
07-15-12, 08:00 PM
Next Saturday in real IMAX and then Sunday in 35mm.I thought the trilogy was only playing on Digital IMAX screens?

Dragon Tattoo
07-15-12, 08:37 PM
Imax trilogy on Thursday night.

Goldberg74
07-15-12, 08:42 PM
Watched them last week with my son. His first time, my umpteenth.

gp1086
07-15-12, 08:53 PM
Watched them last week with my son. His first time, my umpteenth.
Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, how old is your son and what did he think of them?

PopcornTreeCt
07-15-12, 11:04 PM
I think I'm going to finally watch Following sometime this week, followed by Memento. I love seeing how directors have grown.

Osiris3657
07-15-12, 11:06 PM
Watched the BD's of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight today with a few friends. Plan on seeing Dark Knight Rises on Saturday with them.

Troy Stiffler
07-15-12, 11:23 PM
I think I'm going to finally watch Following sometime this week, followed by Memento. I love seeing how directors have grown.

You remind me of how strange it felt when I first heard that artsy indy Nolan was hired to make a Batman movie.

Mondo Kane
07-16-12, 12:06 AM

Gotta say that I'm REAL surprised that WB didn't re-release Dark Knight (On the eve of the next Batman film) in a gift set similar to this:
http://www.eclecticelectronics.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/batman-begins-limited-edition-gift-set-dvd.jpg

Instead, one of the most-acclaimed and most-profitable films ever made still remains as an (Almost) bare bones DVD/Blu release (I still hate that Batpod cover too)

Has there even been any packaging that mentions Heath's Oscar-win yet?

JumpCutz
07-16-12, 12:25 AM
Damn that's a nice set. :drool:

On a side note, Heath Ledger was good in The Dark Knight. But he won the Oscar for dying and gnawing on every piece of scenery.
He was much better in Brokeback Mountain. :shrug:

PopcornTreeCt
07-16-12, 12:29 AM
He would've got the Oscar if he were alive. It was actually more rare that the Academy gave him one posthumously.

Para Para
07-16-12, 12:46 AM
I started with Batman '89 and just finished Batman & Robin last night. I'll finish it off with Begins and The Dark Knight this week before Thursday. I know the Burton/Schumacher films aren't really required viewing but I wanted to watch my Anthology BD set.

gryffinmaster
07-16-12, 12:52 AM
I am! Though, I'm doing it from the comfort of home and not during one of those marathon screenings.

Thursday will look like this, starting around 6: Batman Begins with a beverage or two, a home-made pizza to be eaten with The Dark Knight, and then me and the lady will be off to the midnight showing with some form of caffeine in-hand.

mdc3000
07-16-12, 11:07 AM
I really wanted to do the marathon, but no theatres here are doing an IMAX version of that (only IMAX midnight shows of TDKR)... so I watched the blu-ray of Batman Begins last Monday, will watch The Dark Knight tonight and then am seeing the midnight IMAX screening of TDKR on Thursday.

The Infidel
07-16-12, 11:33 AM
I had no idea there was a trade and save, so I just picked them up for $10 each. Probably just gonna give the old BDs to someone.

rexinnih
07-16-12, 11:36 AM
Watched my BB steelbooks over the weekend. I'm ready.

Groucho
07-16-12, 11:52 AM
I gave these a spin. They don't hold up.

Bandoman
07-16-12, 11:52 AM
Watching Begins, Ducard's first conversation with Bale foreshadows a lot about what may happen in TDKR regarding Batman being more than one man, but an idea.....

I read this quickly and thought you were talking about a conversation with Bane in Begins, and I was wondering where the fuck Bane shows up in the first movie. :lol:

I'll be watching both films before I see TDKR on Sunday.

fumanstan
07-16-12, 12:05 PM
Watched Begins yesterday... it was interesting to hear Batman tell Gordon that a storm was coming, the way Selina does in the trailer for Rises.

Michael Corvin
07-16-12, 12:27 PM
Gave TDK a spin on Sunday night. I'm not a huge fan of BB so I skipped it.

I've never had a problem with Bale's Batman voice, but for the first time it felt really stupid to me. Not sure why though.

devilshalo
07-16-12, 01:16 PM
Since reading there are callbacks to BB, I'll watch it and TDK this week before TDKR on Sat.

bootsy
07-16-12, 02:23 PM

On a side note, Heath Ledger was good in The Dark Knight. But he won the Oscar for dying and gnawing on every piece of scenery.
He was much better in Brokeback Mountain. :shrug:

No.

JohnnyMovie
07-16-12, 04:59 PM
definitely will watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight before TDKR release this week.

fumanstan
07-16-12, 06:34 PM

That's probably how he got those scars :sad:

Jules Winfield
07-16-12, 08:01 PM
Already saw Begins. Will watch The Dark Knight again soon.

Cardsfan111
07-16-12, 09:10 PM
Hadn't planned on it, but since I picked up the steelbook BD's of both films at Best Buy this afternoon, I'll try to squeeze them in.

gp1086
07-16-12, 10:18 PM
Heath Ledger as The Joker is easily one of the most impressive performance I've ever seen. Was just watching the interrogation clip on YouTube earlier - flawless in my opinion.

Who else remembers this poster?

http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/oscars.jpg

Iron_Giant
07-16-12, 10:47 PM
Had a neighbor come over and we watched both movies back to back 2 Saturdays ago, still impressed with both movie after all these years.

And yes, Heath Ledger DID deserve the Oscar, what a performance!!!!

And yes, the TDK was ripped for not being nominated for Best Picture.

Come on...
“Frost/Nixon”, “Milk”, “The Reader” --- Who is even talking about these movies now, except for how TDK should have been on the list instead one of them.

And yes, the Director was ripped also...same movies above

My Other Self
07-16-12, 11:00 PM
Heath Ledger as The Joker is easily one of the most impressive performance I've ever seen. Was just watching the interrogation clip on YouTube earlier - flawless in my opinion.

Who else remembers this poster?I had that on my Facebook for awhile during the Oscar push. Same with a photo of Joker and Beetlejuice sitting together on the couch in the waiting room for the recently deceased. It was pretty funny.

gp1086
07-16-12, 11:22 PM
I had that on my Facebook for awhile during the Oscar push. Same with a photo of Joker and Beetlejuice sitting together on the couch in the waiting room for the recently deceased. It was pretty funny.
Haha. Just googled the Joker / Beetlejuice one. Good stuff.

RichC2
07-16-12, 11:35 PM
I tried to watch 10 Things I Hate About You on TV one day after TDK came out, all I could see was The Joker.

Abob Teff
07-17-12, 01:50 AM

He was much better in Brokeback Mountain gnawing on every piece of Jake Gyllenhall. :shrug:

Fixed.

Kal Varnsen
07-17-12, 07:32 AM
My plans:
Tuesday night- Batman Begins
Wednesday night- The Dark Knight
Thursday night/Friday morning midnight- The Dark Knight Rises in 70mm IMAX

kefrank
07-17-12, 12:09 PM
I'm planning on it.

Batman Begins on Friday. The Dark Knight on Saturday. The Dark Knight Rises on Sunday evening in 15-70 IMAX (tickets already reserved)!

Quake1028
07-17-12, 08:18 PM

Same. Cannot wait.

yoshimi
07-17-12, 08:23 PM
I won't be watching either. I don't watch bad movies a second time.

Deftones
07-17-12, 08:48 PM
finished Batman Begins earlier. Will watch TDK on Thursday or Friday. Not sure which. Probably Friday, because I won't have any of my kids at the house.

Mike86
07-17-12, 08:48 PM
I won't be watching either. I don't watch bad movies a second time.
Then why post in the thread? To go against the grain and show how cool you are with your differing opinion or just to thread crap?

yoshimi
07-17-12, 11:54 PM
Uh Oh! I posted something negative about Nolan's Batman films on the internet. Friday is going to be a blast. Every person who dislikes it is going to be labled a troll. I can't wait to read about how TDKR is better than The Godfather and is the most cerabral film of all time. Who knows, I might be suprised and it won't be a turd like the other two.

Dragon Tattoo
07-18-12, 12:11 AM
Uh Oh! I posted something negative about Nolan's Batman films on the internet.

It's not exactly out of character for you. You've been trolling Batman threads for what seems like years now.

RobLutter
07-18-12, 12:25 AM
The marketing hype since TDK has really soured me to this picture. Seeing The Joker's face just about everywhere and hearing how great Heath Ledger's performance was approximately 8 bajillion times has proven both annoying and untrue. If anything he had perfect timing dying to immortalize himself with an above-average new portrayal of a classic character that people had already known for years (cruel, but deep down you know it's true). I think Ledger was brilliant, but he had better performances in terms of acting ability (see: Brokeback Mountain).

I'm going to wait a few weeks for this to die down and then perhaps venture out.

Mike86
07-18-12, 12:31 AM
Uh Oh! I posted something negative about Nolan's Batman films on the internet. Friday is going to be a blast. Every person who dislikes it is going to be labled a troll. I can't wait to read about how TDKR is better than The Godfather and is the most cerabral film of all time. Who knows, I might be suprised and it won't be a turd like the other two.
:lol: You're entitled to your opinion obviously about how you feel about the Nolan Batman films, but the fact that you come in here to deliberately thread crap is annoying.

Michael Corvin
07-18-12, 07:54 AM

Going in with your opinion already formed then coming here to post about it is a troll move. Seems like the label will certainly apply to your "review" come Friday.

iggystar
07-18-12, 11:06 AM
It seems as though my Batman Begins BR was loaned out, so I watched it on television last night. I've seen TDK recently, so I think I'm good with my 12:01 IMAX viewing tomorrow night.

gp1086
07-18-12, 09:27 PM
Thinking I'm gonna throw on the special features on my Batman Begins blu ray to help ease the temptation for tomorrow night!

PatD
07-18-12, 11:31 PM
I've finished the first two and am counting the hours till tomorrow night.

I think Cillian Murphy deserves some applause in his performance as the *other* great madman of The Dark Knight Trilogy--The Scarecrow. While The Joker stole every scene with his wonderfully perverse pomp; Dr. Crane/Scarecrow is deliciously understated in his madness. Joker was a maelstrom; Scarecrow was a slow seepage. You can tell in the very first scene he's in, that there's something just off about him. I really liked his witty bon mots in his cameo in The Dark Knight.

Also, does anyone else think that there's a similarity between: "Would you like to see my mask? and "Do you know how I got these scars?"

FRwL
07-18-12, 11:36 PM
I have only seen bits of Begins and nothing of TDK. Feels kind of strange to not at all be a part of this phenomenon. Kind of like Obama's inauguration i was out walking the dog.

gp1086
07-19-12, 12:13 AM
Also, does anyone else think that there's a similarity between: "Would you like to see my mask? and "Do you know how I got these scars?"
Interesting observation. Never noticed that, but can see what you're saying.

Deftones
07-19-12, 05:53 PM
Watched BB on Tuesday. Almost done with TDK right now. I've gotta say, I think Katie Holmes gets a bad wrap. She wasn't great in the role, but she was no where near as bad as everyone said she was when the movie came out and after in comparison to Gyllenhaal.

Raul3
07-19-12, 06:21 PM
Watched BB last Saturday and TDK last night. I'm ready.

Overall I think BB is the better movie. TDK is all about that legendary performance from Heath.

Dr. DVD
07-19-12, 08:06 PM
Watched BB last Saturday and TDK last night. I'm ready.

Overall I think BB is the better movie. TDK is all about that legendary performance from Heath.

I'm inclined to think the same after viewing them back to back. I hope TDKR can stand just as well without Ledger.

PatD
07-19-12, 08:15 PM
Batman Begins is a well-told, but very straightforward story.
The Dark Knight is an exhilarating 3-D chess game between the heroes and villains. Ledger's performance is very delectable frosting, to an already gob-smackingly delicious cake.

Supermallet
07-19-12, 08:29 PM
I'm disappointed my theater didn't book IMAX prints of BB and TDK to lead in to TDKR. We could have made a killing instead of showing Amazing Spider-Man to five people per show.

chris_santucci
07-19-12, 10:39 PM
Rewatched both recently. I remember watching "Batman Begins" four times in the theater. I was overjoyed by how well it turned out--how it dampered the bad taste of "Batman and Robin". Rewatching again reminded me that it is the unsung hero of the new wave of comic book movies (along with "Spider-Man 2") where the main character is the most interesting element of a film that involves hyperbolic villains and special effects.

But it sure does pale in comparison to "Dark Knight" which just takes the stepping stones of "Begins" and moves in a direction no one could have anticipated.

I'm writing my countdown to the rise now. "Dark Knight" is tomorrow (hopefully). I can't wait for my IMAX screening on Saturday. I don't know what to expect except for the ugly feeling of the comic book slump that usually plagues the third film. But even if it doesn't measure up, I'll still be happy if it doesn't take the dive "Spidey 3" had.

http://www.film-matters.net/2012/07/countdown-to-rise-part-one-batman-1989.html

http://www.film-matters.net/2012/07/countdown-to-rise-part-two-batman-begins.html

Why So Blu?
07-19-12, 10:45 PM
I'm somehow seeing this tomorrow morning at 7:45am, Saturday in IMAX at 1pm, and then Sunday again at 9am.

The hell?!?!?!

asianxcore
07-20-12, 04:20 AM
I just finished watching Batman Begins. If I'm still awake, I'll probably pop in The Dark Knight.

Even as a fan of the comic, I never noticed the inclusion of Zsasz's trademark tally marks until my recent viewing.

Nice touch by Nolan.

xage
07-20-12, 03:39 PM
Wow - The Buzz Effect of Dark Knight Rises in Movie Talk Sub Forum!

Shooting In Colorado at DARK KNIGHT RISES screening (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603360-shooting-colorado-dark-knight-rises-screening.html)

So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603231-so-whos-watching-batman-begins-dark-knight-week.html)

Weekend Box Office (7/20-7/22):The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603362-weekend-box-office-7-20-7-22-dark-knight-reigns-supreme.html)

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)-The Reviews Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603255-dark-knight-rises-nolan-2012-reviews-thread.html)

The Dark Knight Rises(Nolan) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan.html)

StephenX
07-20-12, 09:42 PM
Glad I rewatched both movies this week. Dark Knight Rises really ties them all together and completes the story.

fumanstan
07-20-12, 09:52 PM
Wow - The Buzz Effect of Dark Knight Rises in Movie Talk Sub Forum!

Shooting In Colorado at DARK KNIGHT RISES screening (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603360-shooting-colorado-dark-knight-rises-screening.html)

So...who's watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight this week? (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603231-so-whos-watching-batman-begins-dark-knight-week.html)

Weekend Box Office (7/20-7/22):The Dark Knight Reigns Supreme (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603362-weekend-box-office-7-20-7-22-dark-knight-reigns-supreme.html)

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012)-The Reviews Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/603255-dark-knight-rises-nolan-2012-reviews-thread.html)

The Dark Knight Rises(Nolan) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/538555-dark-knight-rises-nolan.html)

Why are you posting this in every thread?

asianxcore
07-21-12, 12:59 AM
Finishing watching The Dark Knight (2008) this morning.

The film is amazing, but I still can't get over how much I dislike that parking garage scene.

Supermallet
07-21-12, 01:08 AM
I also rewatched The Dark Knight today. Still the best film of the trilogy, without a doubt.

RocShemp
07-21-12, 10:33 AM

It's an offshoot of his "collect every fucking release in existence of any given movie" obsession.

xage
07-21-12, 08:23 PM

That means you LOVE following my posts :)

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/20/0720-james-holmes-orange-1.jpg

bjh_18
07-21-12, 08:41 PM
I did the Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises marathon at a local theater Thursday night into Friday morning. It was one heck of a good time. It was great to watch all three together on the big screen.

fumanstan
07-21-12, 08:45 PM
That means you LOVE following my posts :)

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/07/20/0720-james-holmes-orange-1.jpg

No, it means its fucking annoying and serves no purpose.

xage
07-21-12, 08:48 PM
No, it means its fucking annoying and serves no purpose.

You are such a selfish person. Letting others know that my post serves no purpose for you to grab all of it.

Dude, you wouldnt be quoting my post unless you have your own inner deeper desire purpose.

I smell a deep admiration of Fumanstan to Xage :)

Mike86
07-21-12, 08:59 PM
Watched BB on Tuesday. Almost done with TDK right now. I've gotta say, I think Katie Holmes gets a bad wrap. She wasn't great in the role, but she was no where near as bad as everyone said she was when the movie came out and after in comparison to Gyllenhaal.
Agreed. I know I'm in the minority but I thought that Katie Holmes did better in the role than Gyllenhaal to be honest. Holmes was just surrounded by such an all-star cast that her performance just wasn't as good by comparison but I didn't think she was bad by any means.

Ghostbuster
07-21-12, 09:00 PM

I agree. Batman Begins hits all the right notes, and it is strong from beginning to end.

Finishing watching The Dark Knight (2008) this morning.

The film is amazing, but I still can't get over how much I dislike that parking garage scene.

The conclusion to that scene is the part that I have a problem with. It defies physics, and it is beyond absurd. A human can't stop the motion of an object as massive as a car by landing on it.

Agreed. I know I'm in the minority but I thought that Katie Holmes did better in the role than Gyllenhaal to be honest. Holmes was just surrounded by such an all-star cast that her performance just wasn't as good by comparison but I didn't think she was bad by any means.

I like Holmes better, too. But regardless, it's always better to maintain the same cast from one film to the next.

Dragon Tattoo
07-21-12, 09:02 PM

I have a lot more problems with BB than Katie Holme's performance (like the nonstop barrage of terrible one-liners), though, in Gyllenhaal's defense, I think she was either told to or decided on her own to mimic Katie's performance.

Mike86
07-21-12, 09:10 PM
I agree. Batman Begins hits all the right notes, and it is strong from beginning to end.

The conclusion to that scene is the part that I have a problem with. It defies physics, and it is beyond absurd. A human can't stop the motion of an object as massive as a car by landing on it.
I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight too personally. The Dark Knight is a great epic film and the performances from Ledger and Eckhart were great as were the rest of the cast, but Batman Begins has more replay value to me. I really enjoy how it takes it's time showing us Bruce's training, developing the costume, and overall just becoming Batman. In addition the villains were really good choices and I love that Nolan used Ra's and Scarecrow instead of some of the more common rogues he could have chosen from. I just think it's a really well put together film that often gets overlooked because The Dark Knight had so much hype behind it.

RobLutter
07-21-12, 09:18 PM
I still think they should've named these films...

"Batman Begins"

"Batman Batmans"

"Batman Ends"

Would've made far more sense. Bwahaha.

PatD
07-21-12, 09:32 PM
Heath Ledger was magnificently iconic in TDK. But, to say that his performance was the only thing that made that film such a cash cow is absurd. It's like saying Anthony Hopkins is the only thing that made The Silence of the Lambs sweep the 1991 Oscars. Give me a break.

TDK is the best of the three if for nothing else that it tackled much more complex, adult themes with the intensity of an "R" rated film. The more times I've seen it, the more I'm floored by how many plot threads skillfully flow throw it. Everything clicks. And any absurd frailties in the plot are smoothed away by expert cinematic storytelling.

The Dark Knight is most definitely "The Empire Strikes Back" to Batman Begins' "A New Hope".

Ghostbuster
07-21-12, 09:35 PM
Batman Begins is all about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman. Telling that story is no small feat, and Nolan pulls it off astonishingly well. He connects all the dots and answers many of the important questions (e.g. Why would someone become a masked vigilante? How could someone realistically pull that off? And what effect would it have on the person and the people around him?). Batman Begins really lays the foundation for the other two films.

I love the way the film ends, too. It really conveys Wayne's sense of duty and his selflessness. I seriously get goosebumps watching it.

Gordon: I never said thank you.
Batman: And you'll never have to.