Old 07-11-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Dallas -- "The Enemy of My Enemy" -- 7/11/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-06-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
A frustrated John Ross moves into Southfork. Meanwhile, Bobby is displeased to learn that Ann sought help from her ex; and Rebecca thinks she has some info that could save the ranch, so she shares it with Bobby and Christopher.

Episode 6 of 10
Old 07-11-12, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dallas -- "The Enemy of My Enemy" -- 7/11/12

I really want to like this show, but I have a few problems with it.
Christopher is not as likable as Bobby was and John Ross isn't even close to JR.
I liked being able to root for one and hate the other. John Ross and Christopher are both douches but not JR evil.

Only a few episode in so the show has time. The old show had storylines that began and ended in a season as well as longer running ones. I hope the new series can do that as well. i dont want to see the cousins fighting over the same girl for 10 seasons.

Larry Hagman only has so many years left so they need to really build John Ross up quick.Get the cousins going in the right direction this year and next season should really take off.

This episode was OK, but looks like it is just a setup for a big episode next week.
Old 07-11-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Bobby attacking Harris was over the top. I really hate the way Christopher refers to J.R. as J.R. instead of Unlce J.R. and John Ross doesn't refer to him as Daddy or "my father" (even when he was talking to his mother). It was nice to hear them reference Uncle Garrison (Miss Ellie's brother) and Gary. And hey: Christopher even correctly refered to him as Uncle Gary. Does pregnancy make one's nose bleed? Anyone else notice the Xmas lights on the house and fence?
Old 07-12-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
Christopher is not as likable as Bobby was and John Ross isn't even close to JR.
I think that's intentional. I think they're playing with the idea of making Christopher the "bad" son and John Ross the "good" son, but don't want to tick off their fan base, so they're playing them both neutrally (part good/part bad) right now.

Last night's episode was obviously the weakest of the bunch...you got the sense that Larry's scenes were filmed later and added in so he wouldn't be absent from a whole episode. As I said last week, this show is NOTHING without Hagman right now...and last night's episode was evidence of that.
Old 07-12-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

They better show the poker game between J.R. and Cliff.

I think it's pretty laughable that Jock has been dead for 3 decades and they just found his key/safety deposit box.
Old 07-12-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think it's pretty laughable that Jock has been dead for 3 decades and they just found his key/safety deposit box.
Yeah, that was pretty lame writing. And I'm almost 100 percent sure they've mentioned the mineral rights before on DALLAS. I know in the last TV movie, Ray Krebbs sold the land (but not the mineral rights) to Carter McKay for something like $50 million (Carter thought he was going to be able to drill, but he didn't buy the mineral rights...so this story's been done before!). But the new series is ignoring the TV movies that happened post-series for some reason.
Old 07-12-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, that was pretty lame writing. And I'm almost 100 percent sure they've mentioned the mineral rights before on DALLAS. I know in the last TV movie, Ray Krebbs sold the land (but not the mineral rights) to Carter McKay for something like $50 million (Carter thought he was going to be able to drill, but he didn't buy the mineral rights...so this story's been done before!). But the new series is ignoring the TV movies that happened post-series for some reason.
Yeah - I remembered that too (since that was essentially the deception), but knew that the movies were being disregarded. But I did wonder why Ray wasn't part of the trust with the other 3 - I guess that could be because he was Jock's son and not Miss Ellie's.

I also wonder if this opens the door for Ted Shackleford/Gary to return.
Old 07-12-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They better show the poker game between J.R. and Cliff.

It wasn't Jock's key and safe deposit box: it was Aaron Southworth's (Miss Ellie's father). That's why Bobby referred to him as Grandpa, and that's why he found Uncle Garrison's discharge papers from the army. Garrison was Aaron's son and Ellie's sister. (He was in one early episode of the show.)
Old 07-12-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

OK. That explains why Ray isn't part of the trust since he wasn't Miss Ellie's son. But I still think it's laughable (more laughable since he died much longer ago than Jock) that it would have taken so long to discover it. Hell, you'd think Miss Ellie would have found it decades ago - she or someone else didn't go through his desk before moving it to a barn?
Old 07-12-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a few nitpicks to be sure, but it sounds like I might be enjoying the show more than some of you here because I don't find Christopher and John Ross to be as annoying as some of you find them. I think the actors playing them could improve their skills a bit, but that's been true of Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy since Day 1 and I still enjoy the show. Sometimes I think Duffy does well, but other times I think he overacts. (In this episode, I think he over did it when he confronted Ann, but, of course, that's just my opinion.) I think my biggest nitpick is the idea of Sue Ellen running for Governor. She never seemed qualified to run Valentine Lingerie or a movie studio, and now they want us to think she can run a state? (This stretches credibility so much that some of my older relatives won't watch the show now because of this plotline even though they watched it religiously back in the day. Gray's acting is another reason why they won't watch it.)
Old 07-12-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I actually find that believable. If The Terminator and The Body can become governors, why not Sue Ellen. It's about knowing the right people and money. And look at the last few Texas governors - they ain't exactly geniuses and one was a former addict like Sue Ellen. He then got elected President - twice.
Old 07-12-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK. That explains why Ray isn't part of the trust since he wasn't Miss Ellie's son. But I still think it's laughable (more laughable since he died much longer ago than Jock) that it would have taken so long to discover it. Hell, you'd think Miss Ellie would have found it decades ago - she or someone else didn't go through his desk before moving it to a barn?
Maybe Miss Ellie found it and thought the desk was a good hiding place for the key, so she just left it there. It's possible she forgot about it when she drafted her will (senility, dementia, whatever), or perhaps she thought she didn't need to mention the document to Bobby because she assumed leaving the ranch to him meant no one would ever drill on the land; she knew he'd honor her wishes, so she probably thought the mineral rights would never be an issue.
Old 07-12-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
... and now they want us to think she can run a state?
It's Texas.
Old 07-12-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually find that believable. If The Terminator and The Body can become governors, why not Sue Ellen. It's about knowing the right people and money. And look at the last few Texas governors - they ain't exactly geniuses and one was a former addict like Sue Ellen. He then got elected President - twice.
Bush was an addict? I didn't know that.
Old 07-12-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Bush was an addict? I didn't know that.
Until around 1974, yes. Then he cleaned up. And was about as competent running a business as Sue Ellen was.
Old 07-12-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

98,610 posts, Red Dog?? WOW!!
Old 07-13-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'd think Sue Ellen's drinking issues and stint in a sanitarium would hurt her election chances, wouldn't you?