Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JP DTS stuttering (not DTS vs DD)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JP DTS stuttering (not DTS vs DD)

Old 10-11-00, 07:16 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first of all, this is not a DTS vs. DD question...I think it's probably my equipment, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, when playing the JP DTS disc, the score skips when there are a lot of sounds going on. It's very evident in chapters 17 and 18 (Raptors in the kitchen and then the T-Rex kills them in the large room).

I'm playing the movie on an Apex DVD player (2nd gen...no secret menu), Onkyo 575 and Cambridge Soundworks Movieworks 308 speaker system.

The "stuttering" isn't present when I play the DD track from the disc.

Any ideas? I'm within my 30-day window with the Apex, so if that's the culprit, I want to take it back.
Old 10-12-00, 11:41 AM

I played mine last night on a Toshiba 2200. No problems and the DTS sound was awesome!!!
Old 10-12-00, 07:17 PM

The first thing I would do is play it at a low volume. You may be over powering the speakers. Second I don't know the Onkyo but if your losing the DTS signal the DTS light should go out. Third anybody have a DTS set-up that you can test it on.

I'm going to check mine and see if I have any trouble.
Old 10-14-00, 12:15 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

Hmm, still does it regardless of volume. The only thing I noticed is that it typically happens when there's a lot of sound activity (e.g. dino attacks and background music).

Thanks for the advice though. Next step is to try it on a friend's DTS system...
Old 10-14-00, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problems on my copy either!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-14-00, 10:27 PM

I was having the same problem with my Onkyo 575. It did it with T2 Ultimate Ed. on the DTS soundrack with the THX trailer and various other scenes in the movie. Also with Men in Black ALL throughout the film it did it also. So I returned it and got a Elite VSX24TX. I had exchanged the Onk. about three times and all had the same problem. I don't know if it is a problem with the decoders in new receivers or if it is the new batch of DTS movies that are coming out. I've heard from other in other forums that have different equuipment that have the same problems. It is not the dvd player. I think IMO that it is the DSP chip in some of these receivers.

I hope this helped you any...
Roque
Old 10-16-00, 08:56 AM

I have played all of my DTS DVDs without any issues as of yet (knocking of cheap formica) The DTS titles I have flawlessly played include: Men In Black, Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park. I have Lost World but haven't watched it yet. Also I have Lethal Weapon 1-3 in DTS that I'll check out and post my findings. These were all played on my main system noted in my sig. BTW, Goldblum's voice and the T-Rex sounded just fine on my system.

------------------
Main system
Sony 32" Trinitron, Onkyo TX-DS575x, Pioneer DV-525, JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Auxiliary system
LXI 46" Rear Projection TV (old), PC-DVD DXR3, Onkyo 3130Pro, Acoustic Research AR3a, JBL Center, KLH surrounds
Old 10-18-00, 09:02 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

Well, I'll have to appologize to my trusty little Apex...

Turns out the problem was with my Onkyo 575 receiver. But, thanks to a great salesperson at Cambridge Soundworks, I now have a new receiver (Onkyo 575X). I'm a CSW customer for life!

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions