Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : [Kickstarter] OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Pages : [1] 2

RocShemp
07-11-12, 08:08 AM
OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/widget/video.html" frameborder="0"> </iframe><iframe frameborder="0" height="380" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/widget/card.html" width="220"></iframe>

It's already got over $2 million in backing of its $950,000 goal. :eek:

chuckd21
07-11-12, 09:56 AM
2.8 million now. $99 of that is mine.

Michael Corvin
07-11-12, 10:42 AM
Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!

Helluva mission statement and goal.

Jay G.
07-11-12, 10:50 AM
This is already being discussed in the Ultimate Kickstarter Video Games Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/600629-ultimate-kickstarter-video-games-thread-9.html#post11301759).

superdeluxe
07-11-12, 10:56 AM
So everyone is getting excited for this, in layman terms, what entertainment/functionality applications will this bring to the average household?

Thanks

glassdragon
07-11-12, 11:05 AM
From everything I'm hearing the 99 bucks will be the retail price on this anyways, you just get it early by doing the kickstarter, and it's not coming until march of next year, so 9 months from now. I would rather wait until it's release and pay the same price then so that I can see some reviews first.

So everyone is getting excited for this, in layman terms, what entertainment/functionality applications will this bring to the average household?

Thanks

It all depends. In theory it can run anything that your android phone can run. Which means any streaming service (netflix, flixster for Uv digital copies, Slacker for music streaming along with Spotify). However they are going to have a proprietary store on there, so you won't be able to get the app unless the maker of the app makes it and submits it specifically for this device. I think that closed off store is going to be the biggest hurdle for it as I'm not sure yet how many of the already published developers on Google Play will want to go to the trouble to port it.

Groucho
07-11-12, 11:12 AM
As I stated in the other thread, I am instantly reminded of "The Phantom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment)" video game console.

Tracer Bullet
07-11-12, 11:24 AM
How are they going to make a profit?

I'm a fan of Kickstarter, but stuff like this, where they probably weren't able to secure funding in a more traditional way, gives me pause for the long-term viability of this thing.

glassdragon
07-11-12, 11:29 AM

I'm a fan of Kickstarter, but stuff like this, where they probably weren't able to secure funding in a more traditional way, gives me pause for the long-term viability of this thing.

They are going to profit through their proprietary store. They take 30% off the top of all purchases from the developers made on their store.

starman9000
07-11-12, 11:36 AM
What would make their store special? If there is a demand for this sort of thing, it seems like Roku/Google/Amazon or someone else would just copy it and tie it into an existing network.

Tracer Bullet
07-11-12, 11:43 AM
They are going to profit through their proprietary store. They take 30% off the top of all purchases from the developers made on their store.

That's a pretty dicey proposition.

Jay G.
07-11-12, 12:10 PM
$99 is their retail price, so the profit per-device is already built in. People are essentially preordering far in advance.

They will also make 30% on app sales from their store, but they're not selling the console at a loss.

foxdvd
07-11-12, 12:23 PM
I got in at the 95 price...I figured what the hell

chuckd21
07-11-12, 12:24 PM
Just crossed $3 million.

foxdvd
07-11-12, 12:30 PM
Just crossed $3 million.

I sure hope that money is not spent on trips and lavish meals...and we end up with nothing...

superdeluxe
07-11-12, 01:07 PM
If 99 is going to be the retail, then there is really no point in risking the 99$ right now

Matthew Chmiel
07-11-12, 01:18 PM
This is a great idea in theory.

I'm not donating money nor purchasing an Ouya in the future when released. I want console gaming to move forward and compete with what a PC can do, I don't want it to move backwards with the hardware of an Android tablet.

As others have mentioned, what won't stop Amazon, Apple, Google, Roku and Vizio (amongst others) from taking this concept and incorporating this into existing devices? Hell, the other companies could possibly make it better as they have more resources available to them.

If I really wanted to play games like Minecraft, Canabalt, and Triple Town on my 1080p set, I already can with my existing devices (ahem, AppleTV, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, ahem). Why would I need another set top box to do that? I'd rather take that $99 and save it for the next PlayStation or Xbox.

Groucho
07-11-12, 01:26 PM
Bear in mind as well that any existing games would likely have to have code changes to work with a controller, as they are all designed with touchscreens in mind.

RocShemp
07-11-12, 01:45 PM
Bear in mind as well that any existing games would likely have to have code changes to work with a controller, as they are all designed with touchscreens in mind.

They mention in the video that the controller also doubles as a touchpad.

starman9000
07-11-12, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but that would be an awful way to play almost any current touchscreen game.

Rob V
07-11-12, 01:48 PM

I'm not donating money nor purchasing an Ouya in the future when released. I want console gaming to move forward and compete with what a PC can do, I don't want it to move backwards with the hardware of an Android tablet.

As others have mentioned, what won't stop Amazon, Apple, Google, Roku and Vizio (amongst others) from taking this concept and incorporating this into existing devices? Hell, the other companies could possibly make it better as they have more resources available to them.

If I really wanted to play games like Minecraft, Canabalt, and Triple Town on my 1080p set, I already can with my existing devices (ahem, AppleTV, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, ahem). Why would I need another set top box to do that? I'd rather take that $99 and save it for the next PlayStation or Xbox.

100% agree.

I don't understand the mindset of risking $99 for something the average consumer could get for $99 (or less) if it does indeed ever exist.

Kedrix
07-11-12, 01:54 PM

You know what, I completely agree. I thought about this last night and I thought about contributing or waiting to buy one...but why? I love consoles and want them to push forward, not backward with tablet technology. If I want a tablet, I'll go buy a tablet and trust me...I will not be using it for gaming. So, a big no for me. I wish them well, but have no real interest in it.

glassdragon
07-11-12, 01:59 PM
I mean, it's not like the retail price will be like 200 bucks and you are getting it half price by paying for it 9 months in advance, then it might be a good idea to donate. But just getting it a little early for the exact same price as retail doesn't compel me to spend 100 now for something that won't be out until next year.

chuckd21
07-11-12, 02:02 PM

I don't want to buy an overpriced cable/dongle to attach my touchscreen device to my TV, nor try to seek out some kind of controller that only 10% of the games I want to play will support. Plus those two items would be close to $99 anyway.

I have games I wish I could play with my iPad, but touchscreen gaming blows.

And I like the idea of having a hackbox that I can play around with and not feel guilty. I think if there's any kind of community behind this thing (and with the support it's gotten so far, there will be), there's the potential for some really neat stuff.

chuckd21
07-11-12, 02:04 PM
100% agree.

I don't understand the mindset of risking $99 for something the average consumer could get for $99 (or less) if it does indeed ever exist.

If no one invests the $99 to begin with, no one else can buy one for $99 later.

glassdragon
07-11-12, 02:06 PM
If no one invests the $99 to begin with, no one else can buy one for $99 later.

And that's not really our problem in all honesty. They will need to secure funds from elsewhere if the kickstarter doesn't fund them. Things got made before kickstarter existed and will continue to be made without kickstarter money.

Tracer Bullet
07-11-12, 02:09 PM
And that's not really our problem in all honesty. They will need to secure funds from elsewhere if the kickstarter doesn't fund them. Things got made before kickstarter existed and will continue to be made without kickstarter money.

Yep.

flashburn
07-11-12, 02:24 PM
I don't see the appeal in this device at all (at least at the specs given). 1GB Ram, Tegra3, on a HDTV? Yuck. For some 2D stuff it'll be fine, but 3D gaming performance is going to be mediocre.

UncleGramps
07-11-12, 02:40 PM
If you're not interested, then you don't have to fund it. I think Chuck was just explaining why some of us paid $99 for something that will cost $99 - to support the idea. Kickstarter projects are not always a flat "X amount of stuff for Y dollars" value proposition scenario.

Also, the project has already raised $3,000,000+ - over three times its goal - so there's no need for them to seek out alternate funding. ;)

glassdragon
07-11-12, 02:50 PM
I"m saying in general if something isn't funded then they will have to go elsewhere

Kickstarter seems to be the new "thing" in everyone and their brothers trying to create some crappy item that no one really wants. Some items on kickstarter are great and should be there, but a lot of the stuff on there is kind of useless. There's a very good reason why some of this stuff can't get funding through outside sources.

I am not saying THIS item is crappy, but things got produced before it and it really isn't necessary.

chuckd21
07-11-12, 02:52 PM

I didn't say it was yours or anyone's problem. It's not a gamer's duty to support this or anything for that matter. The three Kickstarters I've contributed to were all things that would not exist going forward without Kickstarter, this console included.

Michael Corvin
07-11-12, 03:12 PM

I agree with everything you said. This is a step backward and I don't want any part of it. I already funded the Wii's backwards step in gaming, something a lot of us probably shouldn't have done.

Raul3
07-11-12, 03:38 PM
I agree with everything you said. This is a step backward and I don't want any part of it. I already funded the Wii's backwards step in gaming, something a lot of us probably shouldn't have done.

This.

Part of my issue is the word "console". No. Scratch that, that's my main issue.

When the OUYA is released the Xbox 360 will be that price, or close to it.

Matthew Chmiel
07-11-12, 04:06 PM
When the OUYA is released the Xbox 360 will be that price, or close to it.
I wonder if Microsoft would still continue to manufacture and sell the 360 when the 720 comes out (a la Sony and the PS2/PS3).

Kedrix
07-11-12, 04:14 PM
I wonder if Microsoft would still continue to manufacture and sell the 360 when the 720 comes out (a la Sony and the PS2/PS3).

Probably for a short period of time and then drop it. Honestly, at that point I will probably pick up a second one so that if my first one breaks, I'll have a spare ready to go. I have no desire to jump into the 720 until a year or two after it releases if even then.

Draven
07-11-12, 04:15 PM
I really don't understand why anyone cares what anyone does on Kickstarter. The entire point of it is to get people who are interested in something to contribute. It's like people are taking personal offense these projects even exist.

Personally, despite exceeding their goals with the OUYA, I don't believe the major developers or the millions of gamers needed for success will be there. If it does come out, it'll be a little niche product and a footnote in gaming history.

Since that's what I think, I won't be contributing. I applaud them for trying it but I choose not to support it. I don't know why it's bothering people in here.

Tracer Bullet
07-11-12, 04:52 PM
Since that's what I think, I won't be contributing. I applaud them for trying it but I choose not to support it. I don't know why it's bothering people in here.

It's the internet.

mhg83
07-11-12, 05:13 PM
If it's hackable, maybe someone will put ONLIVE to the system. How cool would that be!

superdeluxe
07-11-12, 05:28 PM
I mean, it's not like the retail price will be like 200 bucks and you are getting it half price by paying for it 9 months in advance, then it might be a good idea to donate. But just getting it a little early for the exact same price as retail doesn't compel me to spend 100 now for something that won't be out until next year.

I know you mention this, but can you share a link about same retail price?

edstein
07-11-12, 06:53 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the interface is a complete Xbox (metro style) rip off. They better lawyer up.

foxdvd
07-11-12, 08:01 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the interface is a complete Xbox (metro style) rip off. They better lawyer up.

be careful using rip off and xbox in the same sentence...

Michael Corvin
07-11-12, 08:17 PM
be careful using rip off and xbox in the same sentence...

Why? He specifically referenced the Xbox dash which was created by MS. His point stands.

:nopanic:

Decker
07-11-12, 09:17 PM
Hey, if Microsoft has no interest in using that dashboard anymore, at least somebody should be able to.

edstein
07-11-12, 09:21 PM
I miss the blades. :(

Groucho
07-11-12, 09:26 PM
I applaud them for trying it but I choose not to support it. I don't know why it's bothering people in here.Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's bothering anybody (except maybe Superboy but he's against Kickstarter in general). People are just sharing their reasons for not backing the project. :shrug:

Drexl
07-11-12, 10:42 PM
I don't see the appeal in this device at all (at least at the specs given). 1GB Ram, Tegra3, on a HDTV? Yuck. For some 2D stuff it'll be fine, but 3D gaming performance is going to be mediocre.

True, but I'm not sure that big budget 3D is the point. This could find a niche as an indie game console. You know those great indie bundles they constantly have for PC (and sometimes Android) that the consoles don't get? This could be a platform for them, and those games usually don't need high-end hardware.

I'd rather see the console manufacturers just make it easier for small developers, but if that's not going to happen, this could be a way to play those smaller games that don't make it to PSN/XBLA, or for lower prices.

This thing wouldn't, and couldn't, replace a major console or PC for "hardcore" games. Look at it as complementary, only good for a limited set of games. You know, like a Nintendo console. :)

Draven
07-12-12, 10:01 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's bothering anybody (except maybe Superboy but he's against Kickstarter in general). People are just sharing their reasons for not backing the project. :shrug:

Looking back through, you're right. Maybe it's just the general tone that comes across to me like people think they shouldn't even be doing this.

I've just seen a lot of Kickstarter backlash lately which I cannot figure out.

RichC2
07-12-12, 10:06 AM
If it's hackable, maybe someone will put ONLIVE to the system. How cool would that be!

It runs on Android, OnLive (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onlive.client) supports Android.

Funny though, it has the same specs as the Nexus 7, but with HDMI-out and a gamepad.

foxdvd
07-12-12, 10:16 AM
4 million dollars...they basically presold 30,000 units so far. That might get up to what, 40,000 to 50,000? Not sure what a good market is for a developer to turn their eyes toward something...for the android/ios market, the key is the number of people who check out your games, which is millions of potential users. For the xbox/ps3 you get more money per game, and even those have millions of users. Right now I think the best you are going to get is games that are already available on the android/ios market, with a few games developed for this system. I really think this thing has to top a million units...and be VERY developer friendly....for it to make it long term...

chuckd21
07-12-12, 10:20 AM
30,000 more eyes that wouldn't see their game on Xbox Live Indie Games...

Jay G.
07-12-12, 10:35 AM
Funny though, it has the same specs as the Nexus 7, but with HDMI-out and a gamepad.
And, obviously, no built-in screen or battery.

glassdragon
07-12-12, 10:42 AM

That's true, but the problem is that they have to recode it to work with this device, they have already said this.

If there are only 50k sold and they are only going to sell 100 or 200 copies out of those 50k then it may not be worth the time to recode the thing for the market, seeing as how they lost 30% off the top also. I guess it depends on how big the recodes are and how long they would take and how much they make per unit.

Michael Corvin
07-12-12, 10:45 AM

I'd argue that this is the exact same 30k that would see those games on XBL Indie. People donating a year in advance are hardcore gamers that keep up with all that stuff.

Jay G.
07-12-12, 10:56 AM
That's true, but the problem is that they have to recode it to work with this device, they have already said this.

If there are only 50k sold....
There's only 31,000 backers so far, and it looks to be one console per backer, while 1,700 of those backers aren't backing enough to get a console. The reason they've raised so much more is that the more expensive developer specials sold out, as well as several higher tiers selling as well. So developer interest is there.

That said, the recoding will largely consist of porting to Android. Once on Android, there's the potential for them to release a smartphone version, a tablet version, a Google TV version, etc. The amount of coding specific for the console is likely very small.

Others asked what's stopping a major player like Google or Amazon from making their own Android game console, and there isn't anything stopping them, except that they haven't yet. However, if they do create one, that just expands the Android console market. It'd be similar to PCs, where there's hundreds of manufacturers and dozens of online stores for games. OUYA doesn't have to be the dominant Android console or game store in order to be successful.

Tracer Bullet
07-12-12, 11:29 AM
The reason Amazon, Google, Apple, or whoever don't make game consoles is because the game console is a shitty business to be in.

Groucho
07-12-12, 11:34 AM
If you have a PC here is something similar (and free): http://youwave.com/

glassdragon
07-12-12, 11:39 AM
There's only 31,000 backers so far, and it looks to be one console per backer, while 1,700 of those backers aren't backing enough to get a console. The reason they've raised so much more is that the more expensive developer specials sold out, as well as several higher tiers selling as well. So developer interest is there.

That said, the recoding will largely consist of porting to Android. Once on Android, there's the potential for them to release a smartphone version, a tablet version, a Google TV version, etc. The amount of coding specific for the console is likely very small.

Others asked what's stopping a major player like Google or Amazon from making their own Android game console, and there isn't anything stopping them, except that they haven't yet. However, if they do create one, that just expands the Android console market. It'd be similar to PCs, where there's hundreds of manufacturers and dozens of online stores for games. OUYA doesn't have to be the dominant Android console or game store in order to be successful.

Well they will have to recode most games to use a controller instead of touchscreen as most don't have that. So the one on their store will be different than the one on play (unless they use the controller port one on play also). So they'll also have to support 2 versions of it. It just depends if the devs want to do that after an analysis of whether it will be profitable for them.

UncleGramps
07-12-12, 12:25 PM
Well they will have to recode most games to use a controller instead of touchscreen as most don't have that. So the one on their store will be different than the one on play (unless they use the controller port one on play also). So they'll also have to support 2 versions of it. It just depends if the devs want to do that after an analysis of whether it will be profitable for them.
The controller has a touchscreen built in, so the recoding should (in theory) be minimal.

Groucho
07-12-12, 12:28 PM
Is it a touchscreen or a touchpad on the controller?

starman9000
07-12-12, 12:30 PM
It's on the controller, and it sounds like an awful idea to me (the controller, not the box in general).

UncleGramps
07-12-12, 12:30 PM
Is it a touchscreen or a touchpad on the controller?
Sorry, bad choice of words on my part - it's a touchpad, not a touchscreen.

glassdragon
07-12-12, 12:44 PM
I don't know, a touchpad would not be very good I wouldn't think. Imagine playing angry birds. Without seeing where you are hitting on the screen (since there isn't a screen, just a pad) it will be pretty hard to get your bearings.

UncleGramps
07-12-12, 12:51 PM
It's a fair point. I think there are plenty of apps that would work on the Ouya touchpad, but there are definitely certain games that would not work very well if your touch surface is separated from your display surface.

glassdragon
07-12-12, 01:04 PM
I definitely think it's a great idea, but the logistics seem to work against it in some aspects.

Jay G.
07-12-12, 02:42 PM
Article critical of the Ouya:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

RichC2
07-12-12, 02:53 PM
Penny Arcade whines a lot, I don't mind critical articles, but their reports always come off as just... whiny. It's also a site called "Kickstarter" not "Pre-order".

The thing is basically a Next-Gen Google TV running Android 4.x with custom skin, and includes a game controller. I'm less concerned with it coming out and being functional than it just being indistinguishable from everything else.

chuckd21
07-12-12, 03:27 PM
Article not critical of the Ouya:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LukeSchneider/20120712/174062/Ouya_One_Developers_Perspective.php

mhg83
07-12-12, 04:02 PM
I just backed them for the $99 one! Where do you put your shipping address in? When i checked out on Amazon it only showed my billing address but didn't ask where i wanted it shipped.

chuckd21
07-12-12, 04:09 PM
I just backed them for the $99 one! Where do you put your shipping address in? When i checked out on Amazon it only showed my billing address but didn't ask where i wanted it shipped.

They'll be in touch sometime in the near future for mailing addresses and the username you want to reserve, etc.

mhg83
07-12-12, 05:03 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HpzkCTe76Bc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Groucho
07-12-12, 05:13 PM
Wow...the Tegra 3 version of Dead Trigger almost looks as good as on the iPad.

glassdragon
07-12-12, 06:31 PM
Article critical of the Ouya:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

Maybe they're just upset that this kickstarter made 3 million in like 3 days and theirs will probably not go much further than funded.

That said, they do make some decent points. I was kind of taken aback when it said "All games are free to play" multiple times. And then they described "free to play" meaning a demo at least which isn't exactly the same thing you would lead people to believe with that statement.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/507759031-Android-HDMI-Dongle-Mini-PC-Android-4-0-ICS-Telechips-8925-1-2GHz-Dual-Core-WiFi-wholesalers.html

is the site some suggest there to get one of the usb dongle ones that work on android 4.0 for 67 bucks. It might be interesting to try and see how well it works. It's probably not quite as good as the Tegra 3, but according to the post it works with 360 controllers out of the box, not sure how true that is though.

Drexl
07-12-12, 07:07 PM
The controller has a touchscreen built in, so the recoding should (in theory) be minimal.

That's if you're talking about controlling the game using that. But let's be real here; people are going to expect to use the controller's sticks and buttons to control the game, not the touchpad.

Duran
07-12-12, 07:24 PM
I wish them the best of luck, but now that they are over their goal, I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on this one. I'll drop my $99 once they are successful with a decent library of games, just like I do with any other console.

Jay G.
07-16-12, 05:18 PM
Here's an article that points out that OUYA is potentially getting money from other investors, on top of the Kickstarter money:
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1671/Kickstarting-Ouya-Was-it-ethical

Jay G.
07-17-12, 03:10 PM
Here's an article where indie game developers give their impressions of the OUYA:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/16/influential-indies-on-the-brouhaha-around-ouya/

Michael Corvin
07-17-12, 06:05 PM
Garnett and the gang talked about it for a bit on Weekend Confirmed. Something he brought up that I didn't consider is that even if this turns out to be vaporware, it has proven that there is significant interest from the hardcore crowd for new consoles.

edstein
07-17-12, 06:17 PM
A new console with hardcore hardware though. I don't see the big desire to play phone and tablet games on a tv.

Michael Corvin
07-17-12, 07:19 PM
Right. Point being that the core crowd is chomping at the bit to buy into something-anything since the WiiU apparently ain't it.

TheKing
07-18-12, 01:30 AM
Garnett and the gang talked about it for a bit on Weekend Confirmed. Something he brought up that I didn't consider is that even if this turns out to be vaporware, it has proven that there is significant interest from the hardcore crowd for new consoles.

I don't know if it proves that. It could just as easily show how online fundraising can quickly go viral. I mean look how fast that grandma who got bullied on the bus had $600,000 donated to her.

Maybe it shows that the economy is finally recovering as it seems lots of people have money to throw around without assurance of getting any kind of return.

Jay G.
07-27-12, 11:24 AM
OUYA has announced that OnLive is officially coming to the console. Also, latest mock-ups of the console and controller design:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869?

Kedrix
07-27-12, 11:55 AM
OUYA has announced that OnLive is officially coming to the console. Also, latest mock-ups of the console and controller design:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869?

Onlive on board? Yeah, I'm really not interested now. The Cloud as far as I'm concerned can kiss it. However, the kickstarter is up to 5.5 million which is pretty amazing.

Drexl
07-27-12, 12:00 PM
Well, I don't like the controller, so I'm not sure I'd get one unless they allow alternatives.

I don't like the design either, but I guess they see it as "cute."

flashburn
07-27-12, 12:18 PM

How is that a big deal at all? OnLive already supports Android.

Jay G.
07-27-12, 12:27 PM
How is that a big deal at all? OnLive already supports Android.
It's a big deal in the sense that it's official that OnLive will support the console, instead of just the speculation that since OnLive is on Android, it could support the console.

There hasn't been much that's confirmed to be coming to the console. Even Minecraft is still an unconfirmed possibility. The only game that's been officially announced is an episodic series of ‘Human Element’ prequel games from Robert Bowling and Robotoki.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/20/ouya-gets-its-first-exclusive-game-episodic-prequels-for-human-element/

flashburn
07-27-12, 12:30 PM
I guess I see your point, but I still don't think it's as big of a deal as they are trying to make it out to be. Of course, I'm not the one trying to sell a product.

Jay G.
07-27-12, 12:45 PM
I guess I see your point, but I still don't think it's as big of a deal as they are trying to make it out to be. Of course, I'm not the one trying to sell a product.
I guess it means that, at worst, if the console completely fails on its own as a content delivery device and market, you could still use it as an OnLive console for more or less the same price as buying OnLive's dedicated console. So the risk is mitigated somewhat.

And yes, companies hype news. Microsoft recently hyped HBO Go being released on the Xbox 360, which I'm sure many didn't see as a big deal (and perhaps a bit behind the times).

Something I just noticed is that the Kickstarter now has limits on all the physical rewards. That means that there's an upper limit on the number of consoles available in this Kickstarter (my math puts it at 84,550 consoles). So they can only raise a maximum of $9,881,700 in physical rewards, assuming everyone pledges the exact dollar amount for their reward (not counting international shipping). They've raised $49,395 from the first two non-physical reward tiers, so they're unlikely to break $10 million even if they sell out of consoles.

Jay G.
08-01-12, 01:10 PM
There's now a limited-edition "Kickstarter exclusive" version of the console available for $140. Basically new coloring. Also VEVO has committed to bringing its music video content to the console.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/279159

RichC2
08-01-12, 01:12 PM
I like OnLive, and I like the concept of this little console. Unfortunately it seems like it'll be awfully dated by the time it's actually released.

fujishig
08-01-12, 03:06 PM
I guess it means that, at worst, if the console completely fails on its own as a content delivery device and market, you could still use it as an OnLive console for more or less the same price as buying OnLive's dedicated console. So the risk is mitigated somewhat.

And yes, companies hype news. Microsoft recently hyped HBO Go being released on the Xbox 360, which I'm sure many didn't see as a big deal (and perhaps a bit behind the times).

Something I just noticed is that the Kickstarter now has limits on all the physical rewards. That means that there's an upper limit on the number of consoles available in this Kickstarter (my math puts it at 84,550 consoles). So they can only raise a maximum of $9,881,700 in physical rewards, assuming everyone pledges the exact dollar amount for their reward (not counting international shipping). They've raised $49,395 from the first two non-physical reward tiers, so they're unlikely to break $10 million even if they sell out of consoles.

I think that was a big deal, for both Xbox and HBO, and certainly not behind the times...

foxdvd
08-01-12, 03:14 PM
hbo go on my xbox was one of the best things xbox has done outside games...

Jay G.
08-01-12, 03:54 PM
I think that was a big deal, for both Xbox and HBO, and certainly not behind the times...
It was only a big deal for those who have both an Xbox and HBO, so it wasn't a big deal to me at all. It's all relative, is my point.

As for "behind the times," HBO Go launched in Feb 2010, so it took two years to appear on the Xbox. There were already apps for iOS, Roku, and Google TV. On the other hand, the PS3 and Wii don't have HBO Go yet, and was just released for Android tablets, so maybe Microsoft wasn't so slow getting HBO Go on the Xbox after all.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/06/02/rumor-hbo-go-coming-to-nintendo-console.aspx
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/hbo-go-android-tablet-update/

Groucho
08-01-12, 04:31 PM
HBO Go on Xbox was a HUGE deal for me. I believe it's the only way for DirecTV customers to watch it on a set top device.

tlwizard
08-01-12, 05:27 PM
There's now a limited-edition "Kickstarter exclusive" version of the console available for $140. Basically new coloring. Also VEVO has committed to bringing its music video content to the console.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/279159Ugh. I'm a sucker for limited editions. Just jumped in the Ouya camp.

Drexl
08-01-12, 05:53 PM
I like OnLive, and I like the concept of this little console. Unfortunately it seems like it'll be awfully dated by the time it's actually released.

True, but again, I think this is intended to serve an indie niche. I certainly wouldn't consider this a replacement for a "real" console, and the games that I'd actually buy for it may not need a lot of processing power.

This is a nitpick I suppose, but I wish they'd change the color scheme on the buttons a bit. My specific concern is the bottom button being a red O that I've associated for years with the PlayStation's circle button that has always been on the right. And if that's going to be the primary "enter" button, Xbox 360 users will have to get used to red not being back or cancel on this thing. They should have just kept the colors like the 360 controller as in the earlier concept.

The Bus
08-06-12, 05:49 AM
This is a cool idea but it's a few years ahead of its time.

My only problem is that if this is bringing "mobile" gaming to the TV, I have no interest. There hasn't been a single mobile game that's held my interest for over a week.

RichC2
08-06-12, 08:35 AM
No worries, I'll make a game that provides 8 days of enjoyment, whats your genre of choice?

Bus driving simulator from California to Quebec? Done.

foxdvd
08-06-12, 09:43 AM
every time this thread is bumped I come in here expecting another update from the female version of Molyneux's...

"You have been asking for it...and now we can tell you about the biggest announcement yet! Little fur hats for your Ouya controller! You can upgrade your order now for only 79 more bucks!!! :) kisses!"

:I had to edit my post...I googled Julie Uhrman..took out the word cute:

mhg83
08-06-12, 03:50 PM
Even if this thing flops, it looks like a great system for emulators :)

Supermallet
08-06-12, 06:56 PM
No worries, I'll make a game that provides 8 days of enjoyment, whats your genre of choice?

Bus driving simulator from California to Quebec? Done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller's_Smoke_and_Mirrors#Desert_Bus

chuckd21
08-07-12, 09:07 AM
XBMC will be on the console:

We’ve been hearing requests from all over the Internet for a media player. Well we’re proud to announce that we just partnered with XBMC.

That’s right. The award-winning, open source media player and entertainment hub is coming to OUYA. We’ve heard many of you buzzing about a potential OUYA-XBMC partnership since Day One of launch. (Something of a match made in open source heaven!) Now, with a few hours left in our drive, we’re delivering.

Believe it, friends: XBMC, on OUYA, on your TV, legit.

Here it is, straight from the XBMC team:

Maybe it was inevitable. Maybe it was because of the hundreds, if not thousands, of demands on Twitter, in blogs, on Facebook, in Reddit, and in Kickstarter comments. Maybe it's because many of Team OUYA support XBMC, and nearly a third of Team XBMC members are OUYA backers.

Regardless, we are delighted to announce that XBMC will be working with OUYA to ensure that XBMC works well on the OUYA platform. OUYA's Android underpinnings and XBMC's work on Android (soon to be merged into master, pending final sign-offs!) will dramatically speed up that effort, as will early XBMC dev access to OUYA prototypes.

The conversation between our two teams is young, but talk is ongoing and positive. We look forward to providing more exciting news on this front as it develops.

- Nathan Betzen, XBMC Community Manager

And to our friends outside the US: we hear you. XBMC runs in over 40 different languages.

Match
08-07-12, 04:28 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/08/ouya-console-size-1344346737.jpg

That looks really cool. I was thinking about picking up a Apple TV 3. But this looks tempting.

Drexl
08-08-12, 07:09 PM
I just noticed a bit of a problem here. With that small size, there's no room for a hard drive. Maybe some people just want to stream media, but what about storing games? 8GB is not going to cut it.

Yes, you could add an external drive, but then there goes your USB port (unless they provide 2 of them). So you may have to get a hub, and now you've got the little console, an external drive, and a hub taking up space. Then why make it so small? I really would have preferred something about as big as the slim PS2, with space for an internal drive. I don't care if they actually would have included a drive (at $99 of course they wouldn't); just the ability to put one inside would have been nice.

Jay G.
08-08-12, 08:35 PM
I just noticed a bit of a problem here. With that small size, there's no room for a hard drive. Maybe some people just want to stream media, but what about storing games? 8GB is not going to cut it.
They seem to be focusing on the smaller indie games, which typically don't take up too much space. There's also OnLive, which streams games so that you wouldn't need local storage for even huge tens-of-gigs games.

Also, I'm trying to think of what the USB port would otherwise be used for. The included controller is Bluetooth, and so can be keyboards and other accessories.

If the console is popular enough, there'll be manufacturers making accessories. Maybe one will make an attractive combination external drive/USB hub that sits nicely underneath.

RichC2
08-08-12, 09:21 PM
An SD slot would be nice.

Drexl
08-08-12, 09:34 PM
Well, I bet the space would fill up faster than you expect. :) I'm not sure I'd want to buy big games on it either, but they could still be produced. It's too bad that the USB is only 2.0, which would limit the drive speed anyway.

I'm not sure what else the USB port would be for, but it might be nice to have it open for backing up files to a flash drive or something.

BTW, I don't see an IR sensor in the specs. People who use XBMC are going to want that. Maybe there's a use for a USB port.

RichC2
08-08-12, 11:52 PM
Well, I bet the space would fill up faster than you expect. :) I'm not sure I'd want to buy big games on it either, but they could still be produced. It's too bad that the USB is only 2.0, which would limit the drive speed anyway.

I'm not sure what else the USB port would be for, but it might be nice to have it open for backing up files to a flash drive or something.

BTW, I don't see an IR sensor in the specs. People who use XBMC are going to want that. Maybe there's a use for a USB port.

USB2 shouldn't be a bottleneck, it'll still be faster than a majority of the SD cards out there and many android devices allow gaming off of those.

Jay G.
08-10-12, 01:33 PM
The Kickstarter is over, with $8,596,474 raised, 904% the goal.

People who missed the Kickstarter can now pre-order on the OUYA website, for $20 more and a month later release date:
http://www.ouya.tv/buyouya/

mhg83
10-15-12, 11:24 PM
Going through my E-mail and just now saw ouya sent me a final notice on 10-2 for shipping address. Filled out the forms and submitted hopefully i still get it.

So I'm guessing this means they have the system nearly complete?

Jay G.
12-03-12, 10:17 PM
OUYA is shipping out dev consoles starting December 28:
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/21531-ouya-ships-out-december-28-to-kickstarter-backers-studio-also-hosting-giveaway/

This is for those that pledged $700 on the Kickstarter, and is intended for developers that want to make games for the console. It's not a final version of the console, but it shows that the console apppears to be on track towards a final production version.

starman9000
12-03-12, 11:02 PM
I was fairly negative of this, but I'm excited about it.

Jay G.
12-28-12, 03:04 PM
OUYA has started shipping the developer consoles:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/376464

Jay G.
01-02-13, 12:09 PM
Article that interviews indie developers about their opinion of the console, and developing for it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial

Jay G.
01-05-13, 06:47 PM
Another article on the developer console:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/an-in-depth-examination-of-ouya-tech-specs-this-is-androids-home-console-fr

Jay G.
01-25-13, 08:57 AM
They've revised the controller even more, the most notable change being moving to a ‘cross’ style D-pad:
http://www.ouya.tv/its-all-about-control/

http://www.ouya.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/controllerCropped-e1359051633295.png

Jay G.
01-25-13, 09:15 AM
I'm still looking forward to this. When do we get our consoles? April?
Kickstarter pledges are supposed to be fulfilled by March. Later preorders on their site should be shipped in April.

chuckd21
01-25-13, 09:19 AM
I'm still looking forward to this. When do we get our consoles? April?

Drexl
01-25-13, 11:27 AM
They've revised the controller even more, the most notable change being moving to a ‘cross’ style D-pad:
http://www.ouya.tv/its-all-about-control/

It's better, but it's still a circle shape with a raised cross. I prefer the kind where the D-pad itself is a cross, like on Nintendo's systems.

story
01-25-13, 07:32 PM
A friend of mine is in a competition to get a little more funding to finish a game for the Ouya based on how many people "like" the 1-minute video preview at YouTube. He's been in the biz a while as a code monkey (worked on, to my knowledge, games like The Simpsons Game, Godfather, and Homefront) and trying to break into some original designs. Thanks, if you can help him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h6DsWEel5w

starseed1981
02-05-13, 02:46 PM
Pre-orders are up at Amazon for $99.99 (included the console and 1 controller).

fujishig
02-05-13, 03:28 PM
Cool... free shipping, plus I get to see what the early reviews are like and determine if I still want it...

Jay G.
02-05-13, 03:30 PM
Pre-orders are up at Amazon for $99.99 (included the console and 1 controller).
Best Buy and Target are also set to sell the console. WSJ article on it:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/05/ouya-finds-a-friend-with-amazon/

PAR article where the author is soliciting questions to ask OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman in an upcoming interview:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/ouya-console-coming-to-retail-stores-and-amazon-this-year-custom-controller

Groucho
02-05-13, 06:02 PM
For size:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7673/0r9a4sv.png

chuckd21
02-06-13, 09:41 AM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/157/122/f.gif

TheBigDave
02-07-13, 01:37 AM
OUYA following mobile model: 'There will be a new OUYA every year'

There will be a new OUYA next year, and the year after that, unlike the traditional game console model, where new hardware ships in five- to seven-year generational increments. "Our strategy is very much similar to the mobile strategy," OUYA CEO Julie Uhrman told us in an interview this afternoon, following her DICE 2013 speech. "There will be a new OUYA every year. There will be an OUYA 2 and an OUYA 3," she added. One potentially featuring the recently revealed Tegra 4, perhaps, rather than the Tegra 3 powering the first units? It sure sounds like it. "We'll take advantage of faster, better processors, take advantage of prices falling. So if we can get more than 8GB of Flash in our box, we will," she explained.

But don't fret, nervous game buyer. Uhrman assured us that "all the games will be backward compatible" going forward. When pushed on how this will work, she said, "The games will be tied to you, the gamer," (like Steam is now) rather than tying your game licenses to the hardware you purchased (like, say, Nintendo's Wii U).

The first OUYA, set to launch for Kickstarter backers this March and at retail in June, comes with a quad-core A9 Tegra 3 that's been maxed out to 1.6GHz. Uhrman pointed out that, because of OUYA's home console form factor (which plugs into a wall, rather than relying on a tiny battery), the console will be, "the best Tegra 3 device on the market." It also doesn't hurt that OUYA's working directly with the Tegra 3's manufacturer, NVIDIA. She said that NVIDIA has a group of folks dedicated solely to getting the chip driving the OUYA to run at its highest capacity ever. We'll find out what that means when we get our hands on the console later this year.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/ouya-annual/

The games will be backward compatible. But I'm concerned about the console being forward compatible. Will my 2013 OUYA still be able to play new games in 2015? Or will I have to buy a new box every year to keep up with the latest releases?

Jay G.
02-07-13, 07:07 AM
The games will be backward compatible. But I'm concerned about the console being forward compatible. Will my 2013 OUYA still be able to play new games in 2015? Or will I have to buy a new box every year to keep up with the latest releases?
Probably not every year, but maybe every 2-3 years. I'm sure games will have variable graphic settings, like PC games, so that they're playable on older hardware.

Drexl
02-07-13, 07:57 AM
Great, let's wipe out the big advantage of making it $100 by updating it every year. It's still early to judge the thing, but any enthusiasm I might have had just went out the window. At least if I buy the next Xbox or PS, I can rest assured that I'll get the same game experience with new games (as long as the console works, anyway).

I thought one of the main things that appealed to developers WRT a console was that it's a fixed system; they don't have to program for a moving target or accommodate different levels of hardware like a PC. It sounds like this will have the same problems, and if a few years down the line they still have to make new games run on the launch units, it could really limit what they can do with it, while not giving new system owners enough to show for their hardware.

starman9000
02-07-13, 08:13 AM
I thought part of the appeal was how open it would be (both on the hardware and software side), so maybe you'd be able to upgrade the processor or storage drive to keep up?

Groucho
02-07-13, 08:16 AM
Don't worry. There won't be a Ouya 2.

chuckd21
02-07-13, 09:43 AM
The first one will still emulate just about everything up through the N64 on my TV... so that's all I care about really.

starseed1981
02-07-13, 03:22 PM
Great, let's wipe out the big advantage of making it $100 by updating it every year. It's still early to judge the thing, but any enthusiasm I might have had just went out the window. At least if I buy the next Xbox or PS, I can rest assured that I'll get the same game experience with new games (as long as the console works, anyway).

Agreed 100%.

chuckd21
03-29-13, 11:00 AM
Shipments have started. Looks like those of us who aren't total cynical assholes will be getting a new console shortly! :banana:

flashburn
03-29-13, 12:05 PM
Shipments have started. Looks like those of us who aren't total cynical assholes will be getting a new console shortly! :banana:

Enjoy your Angry Birds! :lol:

chuckd21
03-29-13, 12:07 PM
Enjoy your Angry Birds! :lol:

Like this guy!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0cdbrqqfb1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

fujishig
03-29-13, 12:08 PM
So is the store set up already? Or do you have an idea of what will be available by the time you get your console?

chuckd21
03-29-13, 12:28 PM
Today, we honor you. Today we start shipping our early backers their OUYAs. And at our unveiling event this evening, the first of you will get to see OUYA in the flesh (or, metal, as it were).

Thank you.

Thank you for your encouraging words, for your belief when doubters doubted, for your feedback and ideas, and for your trust. And, I have to personally thank the OUYA team for the sleepless nights and sacrifices they’ve made to make OUYA for you.

A couple things our team wants you to know when you get your OUYA:

When you first boot it up, you’ll experience our first update :) This will either be super fast (seconds) or allow you to get a drink (minutes) based on your connection speed. Eventually, we want to do these updates in the background...

You'll need a credit/debit card to download games. All games are still free to try. Your card will only be charged if you buy content you love. We do want valid payment information for everyone. This is to ensure that game developers can get paid when you love their game.

OUYA supports up to four controllers (you can always get more at http://ouya.tv). And, because we support Bluetooth, you can pair other devices as well. We are testing now and will start publishing a list of devices soon.

This is only the beginning. Today begins an exclusive preview period as we gear up to launch in June. We'll continue to add features, refine the user interface, and keep building the software as we head toward our retail launch -- now announced for June 4.

We hope that you, our founding backers, continue to shape OUYA as we prepare to launch to the masses. Your feedback, to date, has been incredibly helpful and as you know, we’ve acted on many of your ideas and suggestions. We want your feedback on these first units. You know how to find us -- but we are also creating forums keep the convo going. In fact, we are planning an "AMA" (ask me anything) on Reddit to get your ideas. We'll do this in April (date still TBD), after you’ve had time to give OUYA a whirl.

Start checking your mailboxes daily as these units roll out over the next few weeks. You'll get an email when your console ships out of our factory. Keep in mind, it’s a rolling shipment, and consoles will be arriving at houses every day for the next several weeks.

Once your OUYA arrives: get playing!

As of 7:59 p.m. PT, there are already 104 published games on OUYA (all still free to try), like Final Fantasy III and some new surprises we think you’ll love: Beast Boxing Turbo, Stalagflight, Knightmare Tower, and even one called Save the Puppies. There are already a few entertainment apps, too. You can watch the TV shows and movies you already own with XBMC and Flixster, or watch games streamed through TwitchTV.

And developers are releasing new games for OUYA everyday. Eight thousand developers have created developer accounts with us so far.

Our hope is to see these game developers express their most creative ambitions through OUYA. We can't wait to see what they unleash on our TVs.

OUYA on...
Julie

P.S. In case you missed it, as part of making OUYA the most open game platform around, we just announced that we published all the diagrams you’ll need to 3D print an OUYA yourself! Thanks MakerBot (who has a sweet 3D printer, and runs the Thingiverse community site)!

fujishig
03-29-13, 12:31 PM
Honestly, XBMC and the compact size of this are one of my main reasons for wanting this; I'm curious how easy it is to just hook up an external drive and/or modify the XBMC experience.

chuckd21
03-29-13, 12:37 PM
Honestly, XBMC and the compact size of this are one of my main reasons for wanting this; I'm curious how easy it is to just hook up an external drive and/or modify the XBMC experience.

Finally, someone who gets it.

Deftones
03-29-13, 12:41 PM
I'm actually sort of interested in seeing where this goes. I have young children and I could see getting something like this for them for casual gaming.

Groucho
03-29-13, 12:43 PM
Finally, someone who gets it.This is my all-time favorite phrase on the Internet.

Jay G.
03-29-13, 12:50 PM
A kinda review of the consumer system:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-ouya-works-its-here-and-its-heading-your-way-our-first-look-at-the-fini

And an article about the existence of emulators on the system:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/ouya-ceo-talks-emulators-and-i-almost-pirate-a-rom-from-my-hotel-room

Drexl
03-29-13, 01:05 PM

Does it have an IR port so you can use it with a universal remote? If not, you'll either have to use the gamepad or connect a Flirc to a USB port. Except, there's only one USB port, so you need a hub to connect that AND the external drive(s).

For those who don't know, the Flirc is a little IR receiver that acts as a keyboard. You program keystrokes to it and then send those via a common IR remote. Pretty much any remote will work; it's just a matter of matching up the keystrokes to the buttons you want to use.

starman9000
04-04-13, 08:47 AM
Anyone receive theirs yet?

pinata242
04-04-13, 08:51 AM
Nope. I was teased by a package on the porch yesterday but it was something else.

foxdvd
04-04-13, 08:53 AM
Anyone receive theirs yet?

No. I was backer 780...and still no shipping notice.

chuckd21
04-04-13, 09:56 AM
Funny how tech sites managed to get theirs right away...

chuckd21
04-04-13, 10:01 AM
No. I was backer 780...and still no shipping notice.

How do you see what backer # you are?

story
04-04-13, 10:24 AM
And an article about the existence of emulators on the system:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/ouya-ceo-talks-emulators-and-i-almost-pirate-a-rom-from-my-hotel-room

If I could play some of the old school games that other companies continue to refuse to re-release so they can take my money, then this may be what makes me pick this up.

foxdvd
04-04-13, 10:42 AM
How do you see what backer # you are?

when you picked your username, the email confirmation they sent back letting you know if you got the name you wanted...at the bottom they told you your backer number.

chuckd21
04-04-13, 10:48 AM
when you picked your username, the email confirmation they sent back letting you know if you got the name you wanted...at the bottom they told you your backer number.

Sweet, thanks! #1495 here, so I've got a ways to go I guess.

pinata242
04-04-13, 10:55 AM
There was some thread here in which we posted our numbers. I was 7,061, so I think I'll probably be able to buy rev2 faster.

fumanstan
04-04-13, 11:01 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

story
04-04-13, 11:14 AM
Ouch. I don't think he liked it.

foxdvd
04-04-13, 11:17 AM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

I read that earlier...the main problem he seems to have with the system is lack of games...I really hope that fixes itself, since it really is not suppose to launch until June...

Lastblade
04-04-13, 11:17 AM
I am interested, maybe this summer when I have more time.

chuckd21
04-04-13, 11:26 AM
I read that earlier...the main problem he seems to have with the system is lack of games...I really hope that fixes itself, since it really is not suppose to launch until June...

Exactly. Console releases in June. Review product way before finalized. Top notch gaming journalism.

fumanstan
04-04-13, 12:07 PM
If it isn't supposed to be out until June, they shouldn't be sending them out unfinished. Nothing wrong with posting a review of a product that is actively going out to consumers in its current state. The journalism here is fine as long as it acknowledges its pre-release and not retail.

And even then, a lot of the concerns aren't going to be "fixed" in 2 months, unless you really expect significant changes to the UI or a significant increase in quality games, given they need people to port touch screen games on Android to support a controller which... doesn't always work.

EDIT: Clarified my thoughts on the journalism aspect. Also, the buttons labeled OUYA would drive me crazy too :lol:

fumanstan
04-04-13, 12:12 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/ouya-review-founding-backer-edition/

chuckd21
04-04-13, 12:18 PM
If it isn't supposed to be out until June, they shouldn't be sending them out unfinished. Nothing wrong with posting a review of a product that is actively going out to consumers in its current state. The journalism here is fine as long as it acknowledges its pre-release and not retail.

And even then, a lot of the concerns aren't going to be "fixed" in 2 months, unless you really expect significant changes to the UI or a significant increase in quality games, given they need people to port touch screen games on Android to support a controller which... doesn't always work.

EDIT: Clarified my thoughts on the journalism aspect. Also, the buttons labeled OUYA would drive me crazy too :lol:

I have no problem with the article as it is. Calling it a review and slapping a number on it though is just stupid.

chuckd21
04-04-13, 12:19 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/ouya-review-founding-backer-edition/

Much more responsible.

fumanstan
04-04-13, 12:29 PM
I have no problem with the article as it is. Calling it a review and slapping a number on it though is just stupid.

I still think its legitimate :shrug:

Jay G.
04-04-13, 12:51 PM
If it isn't supposed to be out until June, they shouldn't be sending them out unfinished...
This is an interesting point, and something brought up in the review.

For most Video Game Kickstarters, they allow access to the Beta of the game at some reward level. So this is like a beta version of the console, at least on the software end. And it's not going out to unsuspecting buyers; these are for people that kickstarted/pre-ordered it months ago and are committed to receiving one. So if the hardware's done, what's the point in really waiting for the software the be completely finished to send to these people? If someone truly doesn't want to deal with the unfinished software and store, they can just leave their box unopened until June.

starman9000
04-04-13, 12:59 PM
It sounds like the controller plate issue is a problem though, I wonder if they'll send replacements/fixes for those?

Ultimately, it's probably going to be hard for a normal review site to review these type of things for the way a lot of us are likely hoping to use them. Granted theverge guy did talk about emulation, it seems like a touchy area.

chuckd21
04-04-13, 02:11 PM
I still think its legitimate :shrug:

What purpose does it serve? People can't buy it until June and revisions will be made by then.

starman9000
04-04-13, 03:36 PM
Maybe it serves the purpose of helping to influence the Ouya people to try to get things right by the time it's released? Or to let people know they may want to hold off on their pre-order plans, or not get too excited about their Kickstarter showing up?

fumanstan
04-04-13, 03:58 PM
What purpose does it serve? People can't buy it until June and revisions will be made by then.

Like I said earlier, I'd be wary that there will be significant changes/improvements in just 2 months for the retail release, and some of the complaints are going to be native to the platform that aren't fixable. Nothing wrong with sharing the problems and concerns of the device is it stands now, especially if the company felt confident enough in it to start sending them out.

Drexl
04-04-13, 06:16 PM
Well, I like how the controller uses a battery for each side, so the weight is balanced. A nitpick I have with the wireless 360 controller (and the Wavebird, for that matter) is how the batteries concentrate the weight in the middle. No rumble kinda sucks though.

The lack of an IR receiver is a bit of a bummer, since it would have been useful for a universal remote. I guess you can add one via USB, but then you probably need a hub too. I wonder if Logitech or the like will release a "dock" for this thing with more USB ports and IR in a more aesthetically pleasing form factor.

BTW, the micro USB port is used to connect the Ouya to something like a PC (device mode rather than host mode). So you really only have 1 port for peripherals.

edstein
04-04-13, 10:47 PM
There is a shit ton of android games out there. Problem is they are not designed to be used with a controller. They're designed for a touch screen. Seems like not to many developers were very interested in porting they're control scheme over to this device. We'll see what happens in June but my sense is they will continue to focus on tablets and phones.

mhg83
04-04-13, 10:58 PM
The official release list has some Emulators on it. That's what i'm really interested in :)

chuckd21
04-08-13, 02:34 PM
Ouya responds to negative reviews
By Brendan Sinclair

The Ouya began shipping to early backers of its Kickstarter campaign late last month, and this week some unflattering reviews of the hardware appeared on tech sites like The Verge and Engadget. Those sites suggested that the system wasn't ready for release, and in a statement to GamesIndustry International earlier today, Ouya suggested it wasn't ready for review, either.

The representative called this a "preview period" for early supporters to get a first look at the hardware, and said the company hadn't shipped any units to the press yet with the intention of them being reviewed.

"We will be making Ouya review units available in early to mid-May so that you are able to review the more complete consumer experience and prepare your coverage in time for the June 4th retail launch," a representative said. "To clarify for you--Ouya has sent no review units out to press. Any reviews you have seen online are a result from individuals who received early backer units from supporting our Kickstarter."

The representative said the preview period will be used "to test our eco-system and fine-tune the experience" in advance of the retail launch.

As for what Ouya backers can expect to see changed or improved for the proper launch, a blog post on the company's website said it is working on external storage solutions, simplified installation processes, more payment options, and controller support for video player apps. It is also adding new games to the online catalogue on a daily basis.

chuckd21
05-06-13, 09:45 AM
Got a notification this morning that my unit is in the stage before shipment. So basically nothing's new.

pinata242
05-06-13, 12:23 PM
Ditto. And "within two weeks" means we should get them 2-3 weeks before retail. I guess that's satisfactory? Hopefully the firmware will be hammered out a bit more by then so I'm not turned off instantly.

Groucho
05-06-13, 12:24 PM
Hopefully the firmware will be hammered out a bit more by then so I'm not turned off instantly.That's what she said.

Rob V
05-06-13, 12:43 PM
The official release list has some Emulators on it. That's what i'm really interested in :)

If that's true, I'd be all over this.

chuckd21
05-08-13, 11:18 AM
And now a DHL tracking number from Hong Kong...

pinata242
05-10-13, 09:32 AM
Has your tracking status updated at all? Mine is still not found by the great DHL system 48 hours later.

chuckd21
05-10-13, 09:46 AM
Has your tracking status updated at all? Mine is still not found by the great DHL system 48 hours later.

As of this moment, nope.

foxdvd
05-10-13, 12:13 PM
still get

"No result found for your DHL query. Please try again"

chuckd21
05-13-13, 09:40 AM
Still no acknowledgement of the DHL tracking number.

pinata242
05-13-13, 10:14 AM
Ditto. But we're nice and strung-along, aren't we?

Sirgey
05-13-13, 01:48 PM
try your tracking number in usps.com DHL still shows nothing but when i try in usps i can see my console arrived in my town this morning.

chuckd21
05-13-13, 01:55 PM
Nothing on USPS.com either.

Sirgey
05-13-13, 02:12 PM
took about a week to post to usps.com once it was sent to me by ouya

pinata242
05-13-13, 02:13 PM
No DHL, no USPS. Tomorrow will be a week. Hopefully soon.

foxdvd
05-13-13, 04:04 PM
well at least we have two things to look forward to..

1:Early controller problems facing kickstarter units have already been fixed for retail versions, but we are stuck with the older controller that sticks..(read this on the ouya forum)

2:We will get another update friday saying how good a job they are doing getting the ouya's out to us...

foxdvd
05-15-13, 06:23 PM
from usps.com

Your item arrived at a shipping partner facility at 7:41 am on May 15, 2013 in GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75050.

pinata242
05-15-13, 11:07 PM
from usps.com

Your item arrived at a shipping partner facility at 7:41 am on May 15, 2013 in GRAND PRAIRIE, TX 75050.

Pallet pals! :toast:

foxdvd
05-18-13, 01:45 PM
got my ouya today.

pinata242
05-18-13, 01:54 PM
got my ouya shoebox today.

Fixed. Haven't had time to hook mine up yet. I just hope it's more of an Ouya than a Ounope. The controller doesn't seem as bad as they say, but I haven't even popped the face off to install the batteries yet so this may just be a ruse.

foxdvd
05-18-13, 04:52 PM
yeah I have not hooked it up yet, but the quality of the controller seems fine. It actually seems well made for a 100 dollar purchase.

pinata242
05-18-13, 05:00 PM
I finally hooked it up and peeked around the store. Not much, but I did download 5 distinct emulators :lol:

I'll have to try out some classic ROMs soon instead of the NES homebrew included in one of them.

foxdvd
05-18-13, 09:13 PM
I hooked it up. Some thoughts

Once I opened the controller, I noticed the insides seemed of a cheap plastic, but the overall feel of the controller is still good.

That is the worlds shortest hdmi cable...

The interface is very slow. It seems to hold up as you change screens and pause from time to time. I only downloaded Vector, and there seemed to be a lot of slowdown on the game...

still too early to figure out what I think about it....it needs games bad, but at the least it can be a fantastic emulator...

UncleGramps
05-19-13, 04:47 PM
I just hope it's more of an Ouya than a Ounope.
Not bad, but I would've gone with "Hope it's more of an Ouya than an Ouyawn."

Sounds like the early impressions aren't great all around, though that's not a shock given that people haven't had much time to develop for it yet. Hopefully there will be more/better games for it down the road.

LosingMyMind
06-12-13, 12:53 AM
Umm this was their e3 setup
http://i.imgur.com/qIYdbKk.jpg

Drexl
06-12-13, 01:41 AM
^Ou no.

fumanstan
06-12-13, 01:44 AM
And the cops were called to shut them down.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-cops-called-to-shut-down-ouya

RocShemp
06-12-13, 02:42 AM
And the cops were called to shut them down.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/e3-2013-cops-called-to-shut-down-ouya

And then left them alone. ;)

devilshalo
06-12-13, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I have to thank them for the free water and the Wicked Kitchen truck with the $3 Thai Chili Chicken bowl. :hungry:

iNCREDiPiNOY
06-12-13, 03:59 AM
I was there yesterday. Grabbed few freebies from ouya, messenger bag, shirt and tunes radio shirt.

Jay G.
06-20-13, 10:08 PM
The Ouya is set to be released in retail stores next Tuesday, June 25. The retail units have been slightly redesigned.

Venturebeat apparently received a Kickstarter unit with outdated firmware by mistake, and they put up a negative review of what they thought was a retail unit. Penny Arcade Report has put up a short article detailing some of the changes with the retail unit:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/you-need-to-be-careful-when-reading-ouya-reviews

In the comments, one commenter mentions that the Gamestop he works at already received retail units. Others mention the problems Ouya has had with shipping units to the Kickstarter backers.

Jay G.
06-24-13, 05:19 PM
Preliminary review of the OUYA, which goes on sale tomorrow. Apparently they just pushed a firmware update today that fixes a number of issues:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-joy-of-the-ouyas-software-library-isnt-in-the-destination-but-the-journ

Rob V
06-24-13, 07:53 PM
So is anyone using this system... Is it worth a fuck? The emulation has me intrigued.

fujishig
06-24-13, 08:02 PM
My amazon order shipped yesterday (and I had completely forgotten about it... as I mentioned before I had wanted to read reviews first). So hopefully it's good... :)

shizawn
06-24-13, 08:33 PM
A couple coworkers got theirs late last week and one of them had it hooked up at work. The controller felt pretty nice in my hands, but I didn't really get a chance to play anything.

The interface, of what I saw, was decent, but it could use a few tweaks.

Gizmo
06-24-13, 09:51 PM
So it plays Android games...right? Is that pretty much what it does?

RichC2
06-24-13, 10:03 PM
So it plays Android games...right? Is that pretty much what it does?

That's it. It's basically a modern day Dreamcast, maybe a little better graphically, a lot of random titles and a great emulation station.

pinata242
06-24-13, 10:04 PM
Emulation is about all I've found a use for so far and that was only the first week I had it. If it wasn't so choppy, the DS emulation would be pretty good.

Gizmo
06-24-13, 11:16 PM
I'll wait till it hist $50 or so just for emulation purposes. Shouldn't take very long. September maybe? Best Buy is even carrying this.

big e
06-25-13, 08:15 AM
Emulation is about all I've found a use for so far and that was only the first week I had it. If it wasn't so choppy, the DS emulation would be pretty good.

That's the only thing I'm interested in with this console and even that isn't enough to get me to pay $100 for this.

Since most/all android games are designed to be played with a touch screen, won't that make playing the games with a controller really awkward?

RichC2
06-25-13, 08:24 AM
Anything with a virtual gamepad should translate fine. ie - the Final Fantasy remakes and Samurai II, Dead Trigger, Grand Theft Auto 3/VC, Max Payne, etc;

The main issue thus far is they haven't gotten the big name games working right quite yet.

And some people really take the emulation shit overboard :lol::

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/roK3pij8n-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay G.
06-25-13, 08:27 AM
Since most/all android games are designed to be played with a touch screen, won't that make playing the games with a controller really awkward?
While it's using Android at its base, it's maintaining its own app store and focusing on games that play well on a TV with a controller. There's a lot of indie PC games porting to it, and their using the controller scheme instead of a touch interface. A large number of Android games (especially ports from PC or consoles) are only "touch" in the sense that they use an on-screen gamepad you touch to control. Many Android games support controllers, even on phone.

Here's a list of the software availalble on the OUYA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ouya_software

Note the lack of Angry Birds.

That said, there is a touch panel on the controller to allow for limited touch controls, similar to the PS4 controller.

Drexl
06-25-13, 08:31 AM
Anything with a virtual gamepad should translate fine. ie - the Final Fantasy remakes and Samurai II, Dead Trigger, Grand Theft Auto 3/VC, Max Payne, etc;

IF they're willing to do that, that is. Will developers be inclined to go back and update their games to support the Ouya controller?

I also hope that somebody can develop a "wrapper" to translate calls to the Ouya controller to alternatives like an arcade stick or Xbox 360 controller.

chess
06-25-13, 08:31 AM
If you just want a machine for emulation, soft mod your Wii. It takes about 10 minutes to do, though I spent a bit more, as I'm a perfectionist. It's also entirely reversible.

Also, classic controller = win.

Jay G.
06-25-13, 08:32 AM
The system is sold out on Gamestop and Amazon US & UK. It's still available from Best Buy and target.com though:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ouya-console-hits-retail-and-sells-out-also-immediately-25-06-2013/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57590867-235/ouya-launches-for-$99-already-sold-out-on-amazon-gamestop/

RichC2
06-25-13, 08:35 AM
IF they're willing to do that, that is. Will developers be inclined to go back and update their games to support the Ouya controller?

I also hope that somebody can develop a "wrapper" to translate calls to the Ouya controller to alternatives like an arcade stick or Xbox 360 controller.

There are already a lot of games that support controllers from before the OUYA was a thing so I don't see it being an issue (Shadowgun, Riptide, GTA 3, Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Ep 1 and 2, Tiki Kart, Zenonia 4, Zen Pinball, Dead Trigger, Max Payne, Vendetta Online, Shadowgun: Dead Zone, GTA: Vice City, Steampunk Racing, The Conduit HD, etc; )

If you just want a machine for emulation, soft mod your Wii. It takes about 10 minutes to do, though I spent a bit more, as I'm a perfectionist. It's also entirely reversible.

Also, classic controller = win.

I soft modded my Wii, but the technical limitations of the hardware itself sort of killed my interest in that (plus I get horrible audio out of it on my setup for some reason). If I could find a solid wireless controller for my Xbox I'd be happy.

Jay G.
06-25-13, 08:42 AM
If they're releasing the games into OUYA's own game store, which is the only official was to get games onto the OUYA, then I wager they're willing to tailor to the platform (if it isn't a requirement).

I'm not sure what you mean here. The OUYA already supports alternative controllers like the Xbox 360 and PS3 contollers.

chess
06-25-13, 08:45 AM
I soft modded my Wii, but the technical limitations of the hardware itself sort of killed my interest in that (plus I get horrible audio out of it on my setup for some reason). If I could find a solid wireless controller for my Xbox I'd be happy.

I guess it depends on what you want to emulate. For me, Wii Homebrew has phenomenal emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16 and GBA, and it runs almost enough N64 to keep me happy. They all have their own neat little channels on the Wii menu and they all have a nice clean interface.

I also loaded up all of my Wii games on a USB drive, so I don't have to listen to my Wii's disk drive, which was whining and humming like it was about to take an expensive dump.

I had an Xbox out for just that purpose, and I used a logitech wireless controller that worked quite well. FWIW.

Gizmo
06-25-13, 09:21 AM
The system is sold out on Gamestop and Amazon US & UK. It's still available from Best Buy and target.com though:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ouya-console-hits-retail-and-sells-out-also-immediately-25-06-2013/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57590867-235/ouya-launches-for-$99-already-sold-out-on-amazon-gamestop/

They could have sent 3-5 units...no one knows what "sold out" really means. Over in the NeoGAF thread the store GAME got 3 units each.

Gizmo
06-25-13, 09:22 AM
There are already a lot of games that support controllers from before the OUYA was a thing so I don't see it being an issue (Shadowgun, Riptide, GTA 3, Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Ep 1 and 2, Tiki Kart, Zenonia 4, Zen Pinball, Dead Trigger, Max Payne, Vendetta Online, Shadowgun: Dead Zone, GTA: Vice City, Steampunk Racing, The Conduit HD, etc; )

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/game_gear/wireless_xbox/set.jpg

That's what I used back in the Xbox days.

chess
06-25-13, 09:27 AM
Yup...logitech.

I've had very good luck with every peripheral I've purchased from them. I have logitech wireless controllers for both PS2 and Xbox.

I still think the Wii you probably already own and the Xbox you might still have in the closet are as good or better options than Ouya for emulation purposes.

Gizmo
06-25-13, 09:29 AM
Yup...logitech.

I've had very good luck with every peripheral I've purched from them. I have logitech wireless controller for both PS2 and Xbox.

I had both the PS2 and Xbox controllers.

Fantastic considering neither Sony or MS made their own that generation.

fujishig
06-25-13, 09:36 AM
So how's XBMC on it (or is it even out yet?)

RichC2
06-25-13, 09:39 AM
So how's XBMC on it (or is it even out yet?)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BisAw14I5iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is from the early build of OUYA which apparently much improved, XBMC looks to run great.

Jay G.
06-25-13, 10:01 AM
They could have sent 3-5 units...no one knows what "sold out" really means. Over in the NeoGAF thread the store GAME got 3 units each.
True, it was more an alert to potential buyers than a statement about the unit's success, although it would seem to indicate that the unit is selling better than these retailers thought it would. Also, I think Amazon would get more units than what one retail store location got. GAME has approx 330 stores, so if each store got 3 that's around 1,000 units, so I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon had ordered that many as well (or possibly more).

chuckd21
06-25-13, 10:14 AM
XBMC looks pretty good. I'll wait until someone simplifies the process before attempting to load it up on mine though.

RichC2
06-25-13, 10:26 AM
I'm curious to see how well Fez runs on this thing, since it had slow down on my 360 from time to time.

Guess there's a Day 1 update.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Duj98W7lYlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jay G.
06-25-13, 12:16 PM
A few reviews, mostly negative:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/06/25/ouya-official-launch-version-review-no/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420825,00.asp
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/18480/20130625/ouya-launch-day-review-laggy-controls-mediocre.htm

A review from Wired was positive, although the reviewer downgraded it from "console" to "toy."
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/ouya-impressions/all/

Keep in mind most of these reviews likely were written before the latest firmware updates in the past day or so.

fumanstan
06-25-13, 12:42 PM
Top notch journalism!

Drexl
06-25-13, 04:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean here. The OUYA already supports alternative controllers like the Xbox 360 and PS3 contollers.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the Ouya controller used some API that was specific to their system or what.

LosingMyMind
06-25-13, 07:10 PM
On their twitter, they were boasting about illegally playing Super Mario Bros. with the Ouya. The tweet has since been deleted.

Jay G.
06-25-13, 07:31 PM
On their twitter, they were boasting about illegally playing Super Mario Bros. with the Ouya. The tweet has since been deleted.
To be fair, it was a retweet of someone else's tweet, and the text of the tweet didn't mention Super Mario Bros. or piracy at all. However, the twitpic linked to in it shows a screenshot of Super Mario Bros.

Here's the tweet:
#FreetheGames "@neilcribbs: Reasons 14-17 to buy @playouya. Use current controllers, expand ports, AND #retro games pic.twitter.com/IExq4CdbZE"

It's possible whomever runs the Ouya twitter feed retweeted it without looking at the attached pic.

Article about the tweet controversy:
http://kotaku.com/ouya-provokes-piracy-argument-with-retweet-touting-emul-573006869
An Ouya representative responded to Kotaku, restating the company's policies on emulators, content submissions to the Ouya store, and file formats. Ouya's tweet also has been deleted.

RichC2
06-25-13, 07:36 PM
That doesn't mean it's pirated. There could something out there like retrode (www.retrode.com) for NES ;)

Jay G.
06-26-13, 08:25 AM
That doesn't mean it's pirated. There could something out there like retrode (www.retrode.com) for NES ;)
It's possible. The retrode does work with the Ouya:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/using-the-ouya-a-retrode-as-a-retro-gaming-console.html

However, in this specific instance the person that made the original tweet has owned up to downloading ROMs and has claimed to have deleted all his copyrighted ROMs
https://twitter.com/neilcribbs/status/349578787027034113
I've removed all copies of roms from my library. There are some that are public domain though

Jay G.
06-26-13, 08:30 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-vMQBvpw/0/950x10000/i-vMQBvpw-950x10000.jpg (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/26)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/26

Gizmo
06-26-13, 09:15 AM
It's possible. The retrode does work with the Ouya:
http://www.retrocollect.com/News/using-the-ouya-a-retrode-as-a-retro-gaming-console.html

But you still need to buy the adapters and games. At that point why not just buy the real console? It's not like N64s are $100.

RichC2
06-26-13, 09:17 AM
But you still need to buy the adapters and games. At that point why not just buy the real console? It's not like N64s are $100.

Wasn't the point but alright.

Gizmo
06-26-13, 09:36 AM
Wasn't the point but alright.

I just don't get it. You buy all the weird adapters to plug in to a $100 android box to...play games you already own (which means you might even still have the real console).

Boggles my mind. I'd rather just play the damn ROM.

RichC2
06-26-13, 09:47 AM
It's an item for collectors, and yes it's a bit over the top.

But regardless, it's just a way of pointing out that "just because it's an emulator doesn't mean it's piracy", but I have to assume it's very rarely used.

wlj
06-26-13, 09:53 AM
The Ouya is a device "I just don't get". I have an android phone and I have never said to myself "man I really wish I could play this on my TV". It would be cool I guess for emulating old console games, but that is it IMHO. Maybe someone here can explain the draw of the system?

From what i have read it is weaker than alot of the current tablets and phones. I don't really see this little system having longevity.

pinata242
06-26-13, 09:54 AM
Android is a platform. The Ouya is no more restricted to phone games as a Win8-PC is restricted to Windows Phone games.

Jay G.
06-26-13, 09:55 AM
I think part of the appeal may be to be able to play cartridges from multiple consoles on one device, so you don't have a jumble of consoles and wires in your home theater system. Not to mention that the older composite inputs these consoles use are getting less and less common on newer TVs.

I think most people would rather just play ROMs, but since ROM files are considered piracy, the Retrode provides a legal alternative.

RichC2
06-26-13, 10:01 AM
The Ouya is a device "I just don't get". I have an android phone and I have never said to myself "man I really wish I could play this on my TV". It would be cool I guess for emulating old console games, but that is it IMHO. Maybe someone here can explain the draw of the system?

From what i have read it is weaker than alot of the current tablets and phones. I don't really see this little system having longevity.

XBMC, Emulation, if game development comes around it could be nice - there are several Android games I wouldn't mind playing but I absolutely hate touch controls.

It's like having a HTPC running Android, and that's fine by me. Considering two of my favorite games of last gen were Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy I don't consider the hardware limitations much of an issue. Curious to see how Fez runs on it. The Hardware is about a year old (my Nexus 7 uses a slower version of the same processor) but it should still be adequate, I do wonder if they give the ability to change the resolution, I would rather have higher performance at 720p than everything output at 1080p.

Jay G.
06-26-13, 10:07 AM
The Ouya is a device "I just don't get". I have an android phone and I have never said to myself "man I really wish I could play this on my TV".
If you've never said that, then maybe you're not playing the right Android games.

In any case, as pinata242 pointed out, while it's running Android, its focus isn't on the casual, touch-based games popular on Android phones. Its focusing mainly on indie PC and older console ports. Sega already released Genesis-era Sonic games on it, and indie game developers are flocking to it:
http://readwrite.com/2013/06/25/six-indie-games-to-try-on-ouya-right-now

It's weaker than the most current Android phones, like the Galaxy S4, but the Galaxy S4 costs $600, or $200 on contract. This is $100. It's not aiming to be the most power Android device out there, it's aiming to be an affordable console that can play the games it carries well.

As for longevity, I've read that they plan to update the OUYA hardware every year. So the OUYA 2 next year will play all current OUYA games, while developers will likely be able to make games that work on both systems while providing higher quality graphics on OUYA 2, similar to how Android phone and iOS games work.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ouya-2-in-2014-ouya-3-in-2015-android-console-gets-the-mobile-treatment-with-annual-releases/

Jay G.
06-26-13, 10:16 AM
I do wonder if they give the ability to change the resolution, I would rather have higher performance at 720p than everything output at 1080p.

Found this:
https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/setup
All applications are provided with a 1080p virtual display for their output. This virtual display is then rendered to the screen in an appropriate manner. This may include downscaling the 1080p display to 720p where the screen does not support 1080p, or to 480p if a screen does not report it supports 720p or 1080p via an HDMI connection.

For OpenGL-based games, we recommend creating a render buffer of 1920x1080 (i.e. 1080p) or 1280x720 (720p). If this does not match the display resolution of your device it will be up or downscaled accordingly by the OUYA
So it looks like the game developers can set to render at 720p, which the OUYA would upscale to 1080p if needed.

RichC2
06-26-13, 10:17 AM
Gotcha.

Sega needs to port their Android version of Virtua Tennis to the Ouya. As well as officially port all the Sonic games along with Hell Yeah! just to get the thing rolling.

I know Rayman Jungle Run works great on my N7 so I dunno, they should do a quick and dirty port of Origins. Unfortunately this is all very unlikely :lol:

But more than likely, we'll see ports of a lot of FPS games, graphically between a PS2 and Dreamcast.

Drexl
06-26-13, 10:21 AM
Android is a platform. The Ouya is no more restricted to phone games as a Win8-PC is restricted to Windows Phone games.

While I get what you're saying, I don't think it's a good analogy. The Windows 8 PC essentially is two platforms: RT and the Windows desktop, the latter of which can play tons of games the Windows Phone can't.

Are there games that can run on the Ouya but not an Android phone or tablet?

pinata242
06-26-13, 10:25 AM
While I get what you're saying, I don't think it's a good analogy. The Windows 8 PC essentially is two platforms: RT and the Windows desktop, the latter of which can play tons of games the Windows Phone can't.

I don't know, I haven't turned it on in a month now.

I think you could probably make things that rely on the controller, whether or not that means you can't port it to a phone with a BT controller or virtualize it someone is really up to very specific cases.

A better question is, as a developer, would you support just Ouya and not a phone? That seems short-sighted to me and will likely hurt the Ouya's viability long-term if it can't offer anything unique.

Jay G.
06-26-13, 10:40 AM
The OUYA has a number of exclusives at the moment, such as TowerFall:
Es-okjDMAbI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Es-okjDMAbI

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/towerfall-is-the-ouyas-killer-app-the-four-player-smash-bros.-style-take-on
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Ouya/TowerFall/news.asp?c=51903
http://indiegames.com/2013/05/matt_thorsons_towerfall_descen.html

While the game could probably be ported to run on a phone, it's 4-player local co-op would be hard to play on a phone. Maybe if you hooked the phone up to a TV and paired 4 bluetooth controllers to it. But who the hell is going to do that?

The hardware requirements of running on a TV, with the focus on controllers, 1080p and 720p fixed resolutions, and possibly even hardware-specific tweeks, would mean you probably couldn't take the APK file from the OUYA and install it on a phone and it'd play.

wlj
06-26-13, 10:52 AM
If you've never said that, then maybe you're not playing the right Android games.

You may be right, I don't play tons of them. The only games I tend have trouble with touch screen are the platformer games on my SNES emulator.

oh yeah, i do have trouble with the Modern Combat 4 game i have. it is tough to control on touch screen. however, i haven't spent a ton of time practicing so it may get easier. evidently, alot of people can do it or those games wouldn't be so popular

Rob V
06-26-13, 11:53 AM
Here's a novel idea: Why doesn't Nintendo or Sega release a "retrode" type device with all the titles they still own or have rights to? I gotta believe they'd sell like hotcakes! Buying a OUYA for playing ROMS on, while cool, is a pain in the arse.