Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Any Andrzej Zulawski fans here?

Chadm
07-11-12, 03:17 AM
I've come across his name a couple times lately,in the form of high praise, but I've never seen any of his work. Anyone care to elaborate on what kind of films he makes, or a good place to start?

The Bus
07-11-12, 03:42 AM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0958558/

<i>Possession</i> sounds familiar.

inri222
07-11-12, 08:50 AM
I need to see more of his films. Possession is the only one I have seen and that is one brilliant mindfuck of a film.

Norm de Plume
07-11-12, 02:17 PM
I, ahem, have several of his films, but they're part of my huge unwatched backlog. I haven't even seen Possession yet (shame on me), mainly because it largely gets such scathing reviews.

bunnydojo
07-11-12, 03:25 PM
Zulawski has a knack for generating emotion with his films. There's a unique kinetic energy to how things tend to unfold. If it hits you the right way, you'll love his work. Of course, it's just as likely that you'll hate it. Perhaps both.

La Femme Publique was my introduction to him. L’important C’est D’aimer is probably his most accessible. I liked L’Amour Braque a lot, but I think you have to be used to his style heading into that one. Possession is the crowd favorite.

Personally, I might draw a very slight comparison to something like Obsession or Dressed to Kill from Brian De Palma. It's hard to make an "If you like this, you'll also like..."-type recommendation, though.

obscurelabel
07-11-12, 04:06 PM
I need to see more of his films. Possession is the only one I have seen and that is one brilliant mindfuck of a film.

I, ahem, have several of his films, but they're part of my huge unwatched backlog. I haven't even seen Possession yet (shame on me), mainly because it largely gets such scathing reviews.

Possession is exhilaratingly insane. Where are these bad reviews? I must avoid their authors' other work :)

I'm not sure I understand L’important C’est D’aimer, but I want another viewing to see if that changes. It's not boring, and in any case, Romy Schneider is drop-dead stunning all the way through.

Haven't seen anything else of his.

sleepyhead55
07-11-12, 04:16 PM
The only one I've seen is L'Amour Braque and that was really weird. I need to watch it again since I've started to dig Tchéky Karyo work.

At some point I'll get around to watching Szamanka and My Nights are More Beautfiul than your Days since they are in the unwatched dvd pile.

Possesion, which I haven't seen is also supposed to come out on blu-ray from Mondo Vision at some point soon as they're working on it. I might blind buy that since I love Isabelle Adjani.

Norm de Plume
07-11-12, 05:31 PM
Possession is exhilaratingly insane. Where are these bad reviews? I must avoid their authors' other work :)
Most of the review guides I own, which are many, slam it, including Time Out, which I greatly respect. It is because of this virtual critical consensus that I have never sought out the film. But I have it in my pile now and will get to it at some point. It sure looked promising when I was skipping through the *cough* to verify quality.

Rockmjd23
07-11-12, 05:56 PM
Most of the review guides I own, which are many, slam it, including Time Out, which I greatly respect. It is because of this virtual critical consensus that I have never sought out the film. But I have it in my pile now and will get to it at some point. It sure looked promising when I was skipping through the *cough* to verify quality.
Time Out has been known for some head-scratchers, though, particularly in the horror genre. This film got a bad rep in Britain due to its inclusion on the DPP video nasty list, though it wasn't prosecuted. Next to Evil Dead, it might be the best film to end up on that list. Definitely give it a shot.

ReduxGuy
07-11-12, 07:47 PM
Szamanka is one of the most messed up films I think I've ever had the "pleasure" of viewing."

Norm de Plume
07-11-12, 10:39 PM
Time Out has been known for some head-scratchers, though, particularly in the horror genre.
Oh, no doubt about it. I'm not sure, though, if a single review guide on my shelves actually gives Possession a decidedly positive review. Yet, it gets a 7.1 at IMDb with over 5,000 votes, so there's something to be said for that.

I think of all Zulawski's films I have, I'm most looking forward to seeing The Third Part of the Night.

TheySentYou
07-12-12, 02:06 PM
Possession and The Third Part of the Night are both phenomenal. i really liked The Most Important Thing is To Love also.

Zulawski was by far one of the very most unique directors out there.

The Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin is screening a new 35mm print of Possession next month. i'm beyond excited. Possession is one of my top 5 all-time favorite horror films.

and bunnydojo, do you know anything about a release date for Possession? i noticed Mondo hasn't released anything since 2010, and that Possession is still slated for a 2012 release. i read something about the tedious color correction process they've been enduring for the perfection of this release. any new info? are you doing the artwork?

Norm de Plume
07-12-12, 03:04 PM
i really liked The Most Important Thing is To Love also.
Yes, that looks promising, too.

bunnydojo
07-12-12, 03:28 PM
and bunnydojo, do you know anything about a release date for Possession? i noticed Mondo hasn't released anything since 2010, and that Possession is still slated for a 2012 release. i read something about the tedious color correction process they've been enduring for the perfection of this release. any new info? are you doing the artwork?The packaging is set, and I know they're still aiming for a 2012 release.

I can only imagine how much careful work is being put into the actual film, the final product should be pretty special. There's a reason why it's been two years in the making. :)