DirecTV to drop 26 Viacom Channels at 7/10 Midnight

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
DirecTV to drop 26 Viacom Channels at 7/10 Midnight

http://blog.viacom.com/2012/07/direc...esday-july-10/

No way is DirecTV does this:

As of midnight on Tuesday, July 10, DirecTV will drop 26 Viacom channels, including Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1, CMT, Spike TV, TV Land and more. Viacom is the most watched programmer on DirecTV. Nickelodeon is the most watched cable network on DirecTV. We regret that DirecTV refuses to consider a fair deal that recognizes the value of Viacom programming. We urge DirecTV customers to call 800-531-5000 or visit www.whendirectvdrops.com and demand that DirecTV put its customers first, and keep Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET and all of Viacom’s channels.

http://vimeo.com/45485605
Old 07-10-12, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DirecTV to drop 26 Viacom Channels at 7/10 Midnight

Yeah...more from the dog and pony show calling itself subscription TV.

Unless someone wants specific sports programming I can't understand why someone wouldn't go the Netflix/online/dvd etc route for content.
Old 07-10-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wz42

Unless someone wants specific sports programming I can't understand why someone wouldn't go the Netflix/online/dvd etc route for content.
I guess I'm not patient enough to wait 6-9 months for the show to end up on DVD
Old 07-10-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I suspect someone will cave.

I like how Viacom is whining to DirecTV subscribers about how they want more money for their shitty programming, which will probably be passed on to the consumers. Comedy Central is the only Viacom channel I watch -- South Park, Daily Show, Colbert; and TMS on VH1C.

Though, on the other hand, if DirecTV drops the 26 Viacom channels, I doubt we'll see a reduction in our monthly bills...

Frankly, it's kind of a shit deal where they lock you into two year contracts with no guarantee that they'll keep the channels you watch. G4, anyone?
Old 07-10-12, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Yeah Yeah yet another battle about content rights fees.

Directv actually posted on their Facebook page last night that Viacom wants a 30% fee increase for their content.

With the exception of Teen Wolf on MTV this summer, I really don't care about any of the Viacom channels or their content. I had to watch Hot in Cleveland from TV Land on Hulu Plus since Directv doesn't even get it in HD.

I could survive without these channels.
Old 07-10-12, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Unlike you, there are still millions of people who subscribe to Directv or cable, who want to see shows on HBO, Showtime, TNT, FX, USA as their are airing week to week legally. And pertaining to this specific thread, Jersey Shit, Snooki, The Daily show etc. And as Superdeluxe just said, I don't want to wait 6-9 months for the DVD/BD/Netflix Stream to be released. And No, I don't support illegal streams. This rights fees haggling is nothing new and will continue to be a problem as content becomes more expensive.
Old 07-10-12, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk God

From Directv's Facebook page:

DIRECTV has absolutely no intention of removing your favorite Viacom networks like Nickelodeon, Comedy Central or MTV. But, unfortunately, Viacom executives sent a letter to us today, forcing us to take these channels down by midnight tomorrow if we don’t come to an agreement.

We asked Viacom to allow us to keep the channels up while we continue to negotiate but they refused. They are using this... tactic to try and leverage over a 30% increase (that’s an additional one billion dollars) from our customers. We’re working diligently on a new agreement to keep making these channels available at a fair price to our customers.

But in the meantime, ask Viacom to do the right thing and give DIRECTV the permission to keep these channels on while we continue to negotiate. We will also ask Viacom to keep making these networks available during any of our private business discussions.
Old 07-10-12, 06:06 AM

^
For the record I don't support piracy either (which is why I didn't mention anything relating to it).

Not wanting to wait 6-9 months is a valid reason.

I've never done the Unbox/iTunes thing but episodes aren't released sooner on there?
Old 07-10-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk God

^
For the record I don't support piracy either (which is why I didn't mention anything relating to it).

Not wanting to wait 6-9 months is a valid reason.

I've never done the Unbox/iTunes thing but episodes aren't released sooner on there?
Keeping it pertaining to Viacom/MTV, yes, most of their programming can be purchased through Itunes, Amazon Instant Video on a per episode basis ($1.99 SD/$2.99 HD) the day after it airs.

Some of MTV's content can be viewed on their website as well with commercials.
Old 07-10-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Would suck to lose Nickelodeon (for the kid). Comedy Central would hurt if it's a prolonged outage for SP, but I don't watch any of those other stations.
Old 07-10-12, 07:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

wouldn't be upset about losing any of those channels, but if I do, I'll be demanding a 20% pricecut in my service.
Old 07-10-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I hardly watch anything on those channels. South Park and Beavis & Butthead. Oh, and the once-a-year Roasts on CC.
Old 07-10-12, 08:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

We could avoid all of these petty fights between the cable/dish companies and the content providers with three little words: à la carte.
Old 07-10-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Meh - take 'em. The music channels are a joke, and I can deal with waiting to see Futurama on disc.
Old 07-10-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Oh shit. I forgot about Futurama on Comedy Central and Tosh.0. That would suck, but I can find it elsewhere.
Old 07-10-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Unlike you, there are still millions of people who subscribe to Directv or cable, who want to see shows on HBO, Showtime, TNT, FX, USA as their are airing week to week legally. And pertaining to this specific thread, Jersey Shit, Snooki, The Daily show etc. And as Superdeluxe just said, I don't want to wait 6-9 months for the DVD/BD/Netflix Stream to be released. And No, I don't support illegal streams. This rights fees haggling is nothing new and will continue to be a problem as content becomes more expensive.
I'm another person who doesn't want to wait 6-9 months for streaming/DVD/BD. In the past few years, original programming on some cable channels has improved quite a bit. I don't care much for a lot of stuff that airs on MTV, but I do like some of the other Viacom channels.
Old 07-10-12, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
We could avoid all of these petty fights between the cable/dish companies and the content providers with three little words: à la carte.
While a la carte seems desirable many channels would go out of existence as they don't have enough watchers to cover their costs. Them being grouped in a tier with other programming allows them to exist.

Also, the more popular channels would undoubtedly raise their rates as much as the market would bare. This would cause those who can't afford those rates to look at programming elsewhere.

IMO, cable/sat/etc. needs to be broken down into more tiers based on content. Then the subscriber can pick and choose what ever tiers they want and not have to subscribe to lower tiers to get to another tier. This is similar to a la carte but more channels survive and those viewer with different tastes still have a choice.
Old 07-10-12, 09:00 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, count me as another who doesn't give a shit about any of these channels. Comedy Central only gets watched if I'm really bored, never watch any of the others.
Old 07-10-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my boyfriend didn't want to keep DirecTV, at this point in my life I'd drop it and just pirate the shit out of anything I wanted to watch. I'm sick of these fucking babies.
Old 07-10-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah, and if you are much of a sports fan you must have Sat/Cable. You will miss games and coverage. Things like NHL Gamecenter Live on Xbox Live etc. isn't enough to cover you.

I haven't calculated it, but subscribing to individual shows for an entire season on those services seems like it will be pretty expensive. If you watch a lot of shows, would you even be saving money over something like DirecTV?
Old 07-10-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barelypure
While a la carte seems desirable many channels would go out of existence as they don't have enough watchers to cover their costs. Them being grouped in a tier with other programming allows them to exist.
Not sure this really is a bad thing, except I'm sure that something I watch is on one of those channels...

-jason
Old 07-10-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure

Also, the more popular channels would undoubtedly raise their rates as much as the market would bare. This would cause those who can't afford those rates to look at programming elsewhere.
Yeah, neither one of these sounds like negatives. I would gladly pay a higher rate for just FX, USA, and maybe AMC if I could drop all the other commericial infested crap channels I never watch. It would still cost me less that the basic package I have to subscribe to now just to get those three channels.

And maybe if channels don't have enough watchers to cover their costs, they shouldn't exist.
Old 07-10-12, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

By the way 7/10 at midnight has already passed. So are these channels currently off the air?
Old 07-10-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
And maybe if channels don't have enough watchers to cover their costs, they shouldn't exist.
I thought the same thing, but these channels obviously appeal to someone. But I think those kinds of channels could look at direct internet-based subscriptions. If more content providers tried that they wouldn't have to be at the mercy of these carriers.
Old 07-10-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shady12
Yeah, and if you are much of a sports fan you must have Sat/Cable. You will miss games and coverage. Things like NHL Gamecenter Live on Xbox Live etc. isn't enough to cover you.

I haven't calculated it, but subscribing to individual shows for an entire season on those services seems like it will be pretty expensive. If you watch a lot of shows, would you even be saving money over something like DirecTV?

This is one reason why Sports entertainment gain $$$$$, because it is the one kind of programming that people must watch when it airs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.