DVD Talk
Do you still watch DVDs in your collection if an HD version is available? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you still watch DVDs in your collection if an HD version is available?

Fok
07-09-12, 06:16 PM
Okay before anyone tries to rape me or pee in my butt or think I fuelling the Blu-ray vs DVD war, I'm not.

I was going through my DVD collection and found a few titles that I probably wouldn't watch again until I have them on blu-ray (due to improved video and audio). I'm only talking about DVD titles where there is a blu-ray equivalent available.

Most of my collection consists of DVDs and some titles (according to the reviews) are just as good their blu-ray counterparts.

Anyone feel the same?

philly1981
07-09-12, 06:35 PM
nope, i don't have that many dvds left in my collection, i have upgraded most of them to bluray. The ones i have left i will use them for the best buy trade and save.

Fok
07-09-12, 06:37 PM
nope, i don't have that many dvds left in my collection, i have upgraded most of them. The ones i have left i will use them to for the best buy trade and save.

How many DVDs did you originally have?

philly1981
07-09-12, 06:41 PM
How many DVDs did you originally have?

not that many like over 100 only, im a late bloomer in the whole collecting movies. I do have over 130 blu rays already, i only have like 20 dvds left in my collection.

bse
07-09-12, 07:34 PM
I have a couple thousand DVDs, I'm a fan of all cinema, although I'd rather watch a film in HD; If I get the urge to watch a title and only own the DVD, I wont go out of my way to purchase it - I'll just watch the DVD.

I do sometimes hold off on watching an old favorite if I know a blu-ray is in the near future or is pre-ordered.

Spiderbite
07-09-12, 07:55 PM
Nope. I sell the DVD as soon as an HD version is announced or released.

Superdaddy
07-09-12, 08:04 PM
I usually don't watch a DVD if I have a BD of the same movie. Some of the DVDs get sold or traded; the rest I put in boxes for storage. I do keep a DVD of a movie in my "main" collection (the "do not trade" shelves) if the BD drops significant bonus features.

Of course, I also have many DVDs of content that hasn't shown up on BD yet. Those also remain in my collection, and I will treasure and watch them until such time as a BD version is released, if ever.

CapRockBrewingCo.
07-09-12, 08:19 PM
Not at all.

E_v_i_l
07-09-12, 09:06 PM
Yes, I don't buy duplicates of movies except in very rare cases. So, if the DVD is what I have, that's what I'll watch.

PerryD
07-09-12, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I'll usually pass on DVDs, except maybe to watch on a portable DVD player while biking at the gym. What I have noticed that netflix HD streaming is generally good enough, and for television, it is more convenient that swapping discs out and trying to remember where I'm at on the set. If netflix has a show available to stream, I will sell off my blu-ray copy.

DVD Polizei
07-09-12, 11:55 PM
Fok, yeah.

Fok
07-10-12, 01:33 AM
I suspect some folks would consider us HD snobs. But each to their own :)

TheDuke
07-10-12, 01:45 AM
Generally I would say no, but I'm keeping all of my DVDs for now since I'm still in college and if I want to bring over a movie (one I have on both BD and DVD) to someones house/dorm it's nice to have a DVD copy since almost no one at my college has a blu-ray player unless they have a PS3 or something.

Spottedfeather
07-10-12, 02:28 AM
Nope. I sell the DVD as soon as an HD version is announced or released.

Don't you care about some bonus features not being on the blu-ray that were on the dvds ?

Dean Kousoulas
07-10-12, 03:14 AM
Don't you care about some bonus features not being on the blu-ray that were on the dvds ?

I bought a bunch of 2 disc Blu Ray cases so when I have a BR that doesn't have all the special features, I'll throw the DVD in the 2nd hub and make my own
"special edition".

I also upgrade everything that I own to BR. However most times I wait for a good price drop, so in that case I'll still watch the DVD.

Alan Smithee
07-10-12, 05:04 AM
If there's a Blu-Ray of a DVD I already have but haven't yet watched on my current setup, I will watch the DVD first and then determine if I even still like the movie at all, and if the DVD looks good enough I won't buy the Blu-Ray (though that hasn't happened yet, most of the ones I've checked look pretty bad!) I NEVER get rid of any media however, so the DVD stays in my collection regardless (so does the laserdisc or VHS tape if I ever had those as well.)

asianxcore
07-10-12, 05:06 AM
Yes. I don't upgrade unless I really really love the film.

joltman
07-10-12, 08:35 AM
Another here who throws a DVD in the sell pile once a BD is announced. I have kept previous DVDs for features, but I think/hope that we don't have to worry about that on future releases (has there been any BDs lately that didn't port over all of the DVD features?). I even look for HDTV copies of films not on BD and keep the DVD for features or sell them if barebones)

Pizza
07-10-12, 08:55 AM
Absolutely.

BambooLounge
07-10-12, 09:21 AM

I generally don't. I really upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray or even DVD to newer DVD release if the a/v on the film itself is improved.

I'll only hold on to a DVD version of a film I now own on Blu-ray if it contains a different cut of the film or cannot be sold/traded in for anything worthwhile. In the latter case, I will generally try to give the DVD away to friends/family just to clear space.

The only DVD I went out of my way to keep was Saturday Night Fever because it had a long VH1 Behind the Music-type feature on it that the Blu-ray does not.

bunkaroo
07-10-12, 09:23 AM
No. There are cases where a movie isn't out on Blu-ray but it has been shown on an HD movie channel uncut. In those cases I just sit on the recording until the Blu-ray comes out.

I watched my first DVD in a long time a couple weeks ago - The Duellists. Haven't seen any indication of a Blu-ray or an HD broadcast and it was finally time to see it for the first time.

islandclaws
07-10-12, 11:10 AM
Nope. In fact, I'm ditching my Rocky and Lord of the Rings sets this week because I've been meaning to upgrade them to BD and nothing motivates me like not having them anymore.

clckworang
07-10-12, 11:40 AM
If it's out on Blu-ray, I try to avoid watching the DVD unless there's a big reason why I need to watch that DVD right now. That big reason usually is a friend who hasn't watched a particular title, but even then, I will often wait. I've told my friends that I have upgrade veto power. If they pick a title to watch that needs to be upgraded, I can temporarily veto it until I'm able to get the upgrade. That hasn't come up too often, but it has come up.

dvd-4-life
07-10-12, 12:58 PM
I have a monthly Sunday night rotating schedule for movies and I plan on watching Hard Rain and Event Horizon on laserdisc this coming Sunday even though I own them on Blu-ray-there isn't enough time to watch all my blu-rays since the schedule is spread out. Next year will be different since all blu-ray repeats will be viewed on Wednesday nights.

Larry C.
07-10-12, 01:16 PM
nope, i don't have that many dvds left in my collection, i have upgraded most of them to bluray. The ones i have left i will use them for the best buy trade and save.

Can you explain how the trade and save works. Because I have about 250 more dvd's I wanna get rid of.

And OP why if I have the BD would I ever want to watch the SD version? Unless I'm going to a place without a BD player???

clckworang
07-10-12, 01:51 PM
Can you explain how the trade and save works. Because I have about 250 more dvd's I wanna get rid of.

When Best Buy is running its upgrade and save program, you just take in one commercially pressed DVD, and they will give you a coupon for $5 a Blu-ray priced $9.99 or higher. Make sure you bring the original art and case. You can trade 5 DVDs in one visit.

As always, there are some aspects that seem to be a little YMMV. I think some stores are more liberal about what they accept than others. While the coupon itself says it can't be used on items that are on sale, I along with most others have never had any issue doing so.

Edit to add: Just one more note worth mentioning. You don't have to use the coupons on the day you do your trade in, but the ones that are issued do have expiration dates. So, it's not like you can trade in a bunch of DVDs and then have a huge stash of $5 coupons to use anytime you want.

Iron_Giant
07-10-12, 03:30 PM
I will watch a DVD only if that is all I have (No BR) and the movie has not been watch in a long time.

Sometimes a friend comes over and wants to watch a movie that I only have DVD, then it is watch with not problems.

That being said, most DVDs are tons worse than BR. The Superbit (Zorro, Fifth Element...) titles seem to hold up well, but the BR is still better.

VQ is more important to me than sound, I love the clear sound of BR, but my wife does not like the house shaking while I watch an Action type BR movie.

Preterite
07-10-12, 06:44 PM
I haven't double-dipped but for a handful of titles, so it's DVD all the way, baby. I even get mileage out of the combo packs, as DVD players are still far, far more ubiquitous than HD set-ups.

dolphinboy
07-10-12, 08:12 PM
Nope. I rarely even watch the dvds that I have left no matter how much I like the movie (which is shame, because they should all be on bd).

The only dvds that I have left are about 6 that were recently announced for blu and I'll use for the BB trade-in promo and another 40 movies on dvd that I will keep until they go blu.

There are also anywhere between 15-20 dvds that I don't own anymore, but wish that I did because there's no bd on the horizon.

darkhawk
07-10-12, 09:02 PM
The French Connection(old BD) and The Scooby Doo movie. I prefer the DVD. the BD is too grainy.

I've upgraded alot to BD. But, there are some DVDs that I've upgraded to BD that I won't get rid of for the Special Features. Mostly Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, I won't get rid of the 3-disc box set.

asianxcore
07-10-12, 10:48 PM
And OP why if I have the BD would I ever want to watch the SD version? Unless I'm going to a place without a BD player???

I thought his question was do owners of DVDs still watch them if there is a BD version of said film available to purchase/upgrade.

Spiderbite
07-11-12, 12:27 AM

Nope. I used to care about bonus features years ago when DVD first came out. Now I find that I hardly ever watch the bonus features even once, much less twice...so bonus features honestly mean nothing to me anymore.

All I need is a good transfer and good sound.

Spottedfeather
07-11-12, 02:06 AM
I'm the complete opposite. Sometimes, the bonus features are more interesting than the movies themselves. For instance, I love A Knight's Tale. But 9 times out of 10, when I watch the movie, I watch it with the commentary. That's one of the best commentaries that I've ever heard. The Thing (collector's edition dvd. The blu-ray is absolute crap) has a great documentary that lasts almost an hour and a half. I love it. I guess we all like different things.

milo bloom
07-11-12, 11:55 AM
I have too many DVDs that still look very good to go to the expense of upgrading.

Spiderbite
07-11-12, 03:03 PM
I'm the complete opposite. Sometimes, the bonus features are more interesting than the movies themselves. For instance, I love A Knight's Tale. But 9 times out of 10, when I watch the movie, I watch it with the commentary. That's one of the best commentaries that I've ever heard. The Thing (collector's edition dvd. The blu-ray is absolute crap) has a great documentary that lasts almost an hour and a half. I love it. I guess we all like different things.

If I have a movie where I find the commentary more interesting than the movie itself, then it won't stay in my collection. I buy as movie for the actual movie.

I like documentaries as much as the next guy (actually, they are usually my favorite bonus feature) but I find their rewatchability limited. Once is good for me.

Like you said, different strokes.

mike45
07-11-12, 05:47 PM
No. That's why I bought the HD version. I watch still regular DVD's. DVD's that aren't available on Blu-Ray or movies I haven't upgraded yet.

formula72
07-12-12, 06:23 PM
Yep, as some who have already posted, I make my own special edition via dual or triple bluray cases. The fact that you can watch your movie "anywhere" is a plus. Also special features, that for some unknown reason, don't get ported over to blu.
I was like most at first, selling off my collection, but stopped in my tracks when I found out that a lot of bonus features never arrive on bluray. I have since been double dipping on two disc CE, SE, AE, & DC editions for this very reason.
And yes, I do still watch DVDs, even if I have the bluray equivalent

I will add....If it has a poor Non-Anamorphic tranfer, o ya, it's trash, like "The Mighty ducks", bye bye baby

clckworang
07-12-12, 06:40 PM
No. That's why I bought the HD version. I watch still regular DVD's. DVD's that aren't available on Blu-Ray or movies I haven't upgraded yet.

So, technically, your answer to the question is actually yes because you still watch DVDs for movies you haven't upgraded yet.

Spiderbite
07-13-12, 07:04 AM
I did forget that I will keep and watch the DVD version and not upgrade to the BD if the DVD is the only way to have an extended/unrated cut of the film (if I prefer it to the theatrical version) such as Fantastic Four or The Punisher (both of which extended cuts are avail on DVD yet have not been released on BD).

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
07-13-12, 10:44 AM
Do you still watch DVDs in your collection if an HD version is available?

Yes. I'm not so broken inside that I stare at and curse my DVDs that have a blu-ray counterpart...yet.

lizard
07-13-12, 07:32 PM
No. If an HD version is available and I don't care enough about the movie to buy it—when it eventually drops to a decent price—then I don't care enough to keep the DVD.

I would make an exception for some TV series: they would be too expensive to replace if they came out on BD. But, so far, none of my TV on DVD sets have come out on BD, save for the very short Firefly. I only own a few favorites, and most are very long series of five to ten seasons. Most TV on DVD/BD is "watch-and-sell", Netflix, or borrowed from the local public library.

I never understood the "completist" fascination with extras. I rarely watch extras more than once so if the BD doesn't have all of the extras of the DVD it replaced I don't care at all. I just want the main feature in high def.

Spottedfeather
07-14-12, 06:06 AM
There's nothing odd about watching extras over and over. You watch the same movies over and over again, don't you ? And the same tv shows ?

JimRochester
07-14-12, 10:08 AM
When perusing the shelves for a movie i always go to the HD and BR first. I still watch a lot of DVD's and there are many i wouldn't bother upgrading. If I don't watch it at least once a year or if the DVD is little watched and it's a primo SE I won't bother.

K&AJones
07-14-12, 10:42 AM
Yep...there are several titles I watch in DVD even if there's he BR version available. Upconversion along with TV's have come a long way though still not BR, the PQ has gotten better. I also take in account the audio in the DVD format vs BR edition.

The other issue would be cost. A prime example is A Bug's Life. We have the original WS DVD but the BR version is around $28.00. A great movie and seen it close to 10 times but $28 for a 14 yr old movie that will give me a bit more better PQ than the upconversion...don't think so. But if it were to fall around $12-14...maybe.