Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Assassin's Creed (12/21/2016, Kurzel) S: Fassbender, Cotillard

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-22-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Assassin's Creed

Originally Posted by Prof. Farnsworth

I am a big fan of Assassin's Creed games. First one was not the best one out there, but it definitely had a lot of potential. And Ubisoft thought so too. They made a second game which was just amazing. Then third one came out, also great, and now a fourth game in the franchise will be released next month. It's also worth mentioning that not only were the games a critical success but also financial. With that, Ubisoft Motion Pictures has been trying to find a studio for a film adaptation, and according to Variety, Sony Pictures is the one that acquired rights:

"Studio is in final negotiations to adapt and distribute the bigscreen version of the historical actioner, landing the film rights in a bidding war after Ubisoft started shopping the property around Hollywood over the last several months. Studios, including Universal, also were vying for the project."

This makes Assassin's Creed the third game Sony is working on, with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and inFAMOUS in development. Last three games in Assassin's Creed series have been revolving around Desmond Miles, a descendant of both Altaïr and Ezio Auditore da Firenze. After he is put in a machine called "Animus" he experiences the memories of Ezio and Altaïr.

The latest game in the franchise, Assassin's Creed: Revelations will be released on November 15.
As long as Ubisoft and Hybride are in full creative control, I don't care where the money comes from. Though, I'd rather see a series of movies about Giovanni Auditore (starring Romano Orzari, of course) instead of Ezio Auditore or Altaïr ibn-La'Ahad.
Old 10-22-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed

They need to cut out the Desmond B.S. and just give us a full out historical movie.
Old 10-22-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
They need to cut out the Desmond B.S. and just give us a full out historical movie.
Yup. Like what was done with Assassin's Creed Lineage.
Old 10-22-11, 06:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just watch the new Three Musketeers movie. Certain sequences were very obviously inspired by Assassin's Creed.
Old 10-22-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Just watch the new Three Musketeers movie. Certain sequences were very obviously inspired by Assassin's Creed.
That scene where Milla is dodging stuff ala Neo makes me simultaneously laugh and groan. No, I will not see The Three Musketeers.
Old 10-22-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

So, gamer question... is the character from the sequels supposed to be the same (unlikeable) guy from the first one, or do they change every game? The first one turned me off so much I didn't bother with the sequels, though I understand they were better. A pretty city will only get you so far...
Old 10-22-11, 07:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Which guy from the first game didn't you like? Desmond (modern guy) or Altair (crusades guy). If it's the latter, he changes.
Old 10-22-11, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...I think the Desmond part would be hard to roll with. THOUGH I'm game as long as the story rocks.
Old 10-22-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman
So, gamer question... is the character from the sequels supposed to be the same (unlikeable) guy from the first one, or do they change every game? The first one turned me off so much I didn't bother with the sequels, though I understand they were better. A pretty city will only get you so far...
Desmond (the guy in the Matrix) is still the same in the sequels, but the assassin is different and a lot more interesting.
Old 10-23-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I always felt that the first game's look was heavily inspired by Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, if they got him to do this movie that would be great.

That said, I hope they go with the Ezio Auditore time period for the movie. Ezio is interesting and likeable with personality. The less they deal with Desmond the better.
Old 10-23-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm hoping for a movie that focuses mostly on Desmond, with the assassin stuff just a few brief flashbacks. It's a character study about how a man deals with ennui when being analyzed in a clinical setting.

But seriously, I hope they get a good director.
Old 10-23-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Kristen Bell as Lucy or I'm gonna eat my own face.
Old 10-23-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Given it seems no one (except for Drexl) wants to see anything regarding the 2012 timeline, start chowing down on your face, Hokeyboy.
Old 10-23-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You cannot tell the Assassin's Creed story WITHOUT Desmond. Otherwise you're just silly. You're SILLY!
Old 10-23-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You cannot tell the Assassin's Creed story WITHOUT Desmond. Otherwise you're just silly. You're SILLY!
Did you not see Assassin's Creed Lineage? You can totally tell any number of stories in that universe without Desmond.
Old 10-23-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Side stories, sure. But not the MAIN story. It'd be like doing a Castle Wolfenstein movie... set entirely in the Pacific Theater.

Youre SILLY!
Old 10-24-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Side stories, sure. But not the MAIN story. It'd be like doing a Castle Wolfenstein movie... set entirely in the Pacific Theater.

Youre SILLY!
Not even close. The war between the Templars and Assassin's has been going on for centuries. That's far more interesting than some bartender chatting with some corporate stooge or a chick that talks a big game but does very little between sessions on a VR chair.
Old 10-24-11, 01:55 PM
Banned

and that's what I think as well...that Desmond is the strand that holds it all together. IF they plan to literally adapt the games. If NOT...well...they'd have to tweak it to make sense and not become repititve in trying to understand why these guys are still going at it and why it isn't over yet.
Old 07-09-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Oh shit!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056333

Michael Fassbender will star in and co-produce "Assassin's Creed," the bigscreen adaptation of Ubisoft's videogame franchise, through his DMC Film.

While Fassbender's profile has risen with roles in "X-Men: First Class," "Shame," "Haywire," "Prometheus," and will next be seen in "The Counselor" and "Twelve Years a Slave," thesp also has spent the past year developing films with Conor McCaughan. Together, they produced the short "Pitch Black Heist."

"Assassin's Creed" is the duo's most high-profile project, given that the game is Ubisoft's biggest franchise, selling over 30 million units since 2007. A third "Assassin's Creed" game bows Oct. 30 and is set during the American Revolution. First two take place during the Crusades and Renaissance.

Plot revolves around a man who learns his ancestors were trained assassins after he is kidnapped by a secret org with ties to the Knights Templar, and sent back in time to retrieve historical artifacts.

"Michael Fassbender was our first choice" to play the franchise's iconic hooded hero, said Jean-Julien Baronnet, CEO of Paris-based Ubisoft Motion Pictures. "Michael (Fassbender) is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor."

Last fall, Ubisoft was in talks with Sony to develop a series of "Assassin's" pics (Daily Variety, Oct. 20, 2011). But the companies have since put negotiations on hold.

Ubisoft execs now plan to stick to their initial plan and develop the film independently in order to maintain greater creative control. Last year, Ubisoft invested in launching UMP, headed by Baronnet, former CEO of Luc Besson's EuropaCorp, to adapt the company's games into films, TV shows and digital projects.

While Sony could still wind up distribing the films, UMP will package the project with a writer and director before resuming talks with the studio.

"We're open to re-discuss with the key studios once the production package is finalized," Baronnet told Variety.

Ubisoft also is looking to raise financing for the tentpole through foreign presales and co-production deals, which again could again involve Sony.

"Whatever the financial model, UMP will limit its risk investment," and will save on production costs by turning to its 26 in-house game studios like Hybride Technologies, to handle visual effects work, Baronnet said.

Ubisoft sees adaptations as a way to turn its games into larger brands that will get the titles in front of more consumers while creating lucrative new revenue sources for the company. One of its first projects is an animated TV series based on the "Raving Rabbids" franchise that will air on Nickelodeon. Ubisoft chief Yves Guillemot also wants to develop films for the games "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell" and "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon."

By controlling more of the creative through UMP, Ubisoft hopes it doesn't wind up with another "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," adapted by Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer. Pic earned a disappointing $335 million worldwide, with just $91 million of that in the U.S. last year, ending any franchise dreams.
Old 07-09-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed -- film adaptation of the game starring Fassbender

Will he be Altair or Enzio? Seems more of an Altair type, but Enzio is a far more interesting character.
Old 07-09-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

My. God.
Old 07-09-12, 10:48 AM
Banned

YES. OH GOD YES. YES. FUcking shit motherfucker, yes.

OMFG.
Old 07-09-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Well that's just about perfect.
Old 07-09-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be kind of funny if Fassbender only played Desmond Miles
Old 07-09-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Will he be Altair or Enzio? Seems more of an Altair type, but Enzio is a far more interesting character.
Enzio? It's Ezio dude...come on! fan fail

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.