DVD Talk
Emma Stone vs. Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man love interests) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Emma Stone vs. Kirsten Dunst (Spider-Man love interests)

Dr. DVD
07-06-12, 12:24 PM
While I prefer Maguire as Spider-Man/Peter Parker, I will admit that Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy trumps Dunst's MJ and just about every way possible. I always felt MJ in the movies came across as Kirsten Dunst playing MJ. Stone seemed actually BE Gwen Stacy (her uncanny resemblance to the character helped). Furthermore, she actually served a purpose other than getting kidnapped.

Groucho
07-06-12, 12:29 PM
Shouldn't it be Bryce Dallas Howard vs. Emma Stone?

Matthew Chmiel
07-06-12, 12:49 PM
Emma Stone has given us this:

http://i.imgur.com/rFMQK.gif

http://i.imgur.com/0tLud.gif

However, there's nude photos and video of Kirsten Dunst and Bryce Dallas Howard online.

Oh wait, we're talking about their performances in the Spider-man films? Well, uh, did Emma Stone do this?

http://blog.movieposterseurope.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kirsten-dunst-in-spiderman-371x400.jpg

It's a snapshot of the screen where MJ and Spider-man kiss in the rain. No need to lose your shit everyone. ;)

Lastblade
07-06-12, 12:55 PM
KD is butt ugly. ES wins this easily (lol at KD's votes)

Groucho
07-06-12, 12:56 PM
lol at KD's votesAll zero of them (as of this posting)?

Meglos
07-06-12, 12:56 PM
Emma Stone. And I haven't even seen Amazing Spider-Man.

devilshalo
07-06-12, 01:00 PM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7908/elizabethbanksbettybran.jpg

Solid Snake
07-06-12, 01:19 PM
It always bothered me how nothing happened w/ Betty Brant. C'mon! Loved Brant for however lone we got.

On topic: Stone.

TomOpus
07-06-12, 01:24 PM
Don't really see the purpose of a poll. The dislike for KD on this board is fairly well-known.

Quack
07-06-12, 01:27 PM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7908/elizabethbanksbettybran.jpg

:up:

Michael Corvin
07-06-12, 02:02 PM
Emma Stone. And I haven't even seen Amazing Spider-Man.

Same, but I have to admit, this is pretty nice:

http://blog.movieposterseurope.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kirsten-dunst-in-spiderman-371x400.jpg

Tom Creo
07-06-12, 02:20 PM
These Spider-Man poll questions are stupid and only continue to flame this "feud" between the true depiction of Spidey.

Mr. Salty
07-06-12, 02:53 PM
These Spider-Man poll questions are stupid and only continue to flame this "feud" between the true depiction of Spidey.

What, pray tell, is the "true" depiction of Spider-Man?

Meglos
07-06-12, 02:54 PM

You're a Ben Reilly fan, aren't you?

Mike86
07-06-12, 02:57 PM
Emma Stone was great as Gwen Stacy. She actually was one of my favorite parts of The Amazing Spider-Man. I didn't mind Dunst and don't hate her like a lot of other people seem to but I didn't think her and Maguire had as good of chemistry together. Plus it was nice to see Gwen in a role where she isn't the damsel in distress like almost every other female in a super hero movie.

Dragon Tattoo
07-06-12, 03:04 PM

Afraid you're gonna lose this one, huh?

Don't really see the purpose of a poll. The dislike for KD on this board is fairly well-known.

The dislike for KD in life is fairly well known.

Wish poll results were visible. I'd like to know who the three sad souls who actually voted for her are.

Mike86
07-06-12, 03:09 PM
Why are people taking which version of Spider-Man is better so personally? :lol: They're just fucking movies. Raimi did some things well and the new film did some things well but I didn't think either was perfect. It's pretty childish for people to act like "their version" is better.

Shannon Nutt
07-06-12, 03:13 PM
Why are people taking which version of Spider-Man is better so personally? :lol: They're just fucking movies. Raimi did some things well and the new film did some things well but I didn't think either was perfect. It's pretty childish for people to act like "their version" is better.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are certain people out there who spent months and months saying how horrible the new Spidey film was going to be. Now that it's out and not only good but arguably better than Raimi's movies, they feel the need to defend those films vigoriously. At least that's my take on it.

Mike86
07-06-12, 03:14 PM
A lot of it has to do with the fact that there are certain people out there who spent months and months saying how horrible the new Spidey film was going to be. Now that it's out and not only good but arguably better than Raimi's movies, they feel the need to defend those films vigoriously. At least that's my take on it.
It doesn't make up for the fact that it's stupid. People need to get over it.

devilshalo
07-06-12, 03:34 PM

This is almost as bad as the Prometheus debates. ;)

Tom Creo
07-06-12, 04:27 PM
Here's a hint, he doesn't skateboard.

Ash Ketchum
07-06-12, 04:29 PM

The one in the comic books that Steve Ditko drew.

Groucho
07-06-12, 04:42 PM
I voted for Stone in this particular poll, but I feel obligated to also give this unpopular opinion: Kirsten Dunst is good at acting -AND- she's attractive too. :shrug:

Tom Creo
07-06-12, 05:02 PM
I agree, both ladies can act and display the goods.

arminius
07-06-12, 05:24 PM
Afraid you're gonna lose this one, huh?

The dislike for KD in life is fairly well known.

Wish poll results were visible. I'd like to know who the three sad souls who actually voted for her are.

You really like gladiator movies, don't you?

Nick Martin
07-06-12, 05:25 PM
I'll vote for Dunst right now, just because.

and done.

dhmac
07-06-12, 06:42 PM
Kirsten Dunst looks really attractive to me in this picture:

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo33/dhmacg/kirsten_dunst300.jpg

Because she's reading Carl Sagan and "smart = sexy"

RocShemp
07-06-12, 07:39 PM
^ I see her holding a book. I don't see her actually reading it.

Nick Martin
07-06-12, 07:49 PM
She don't read the book the book reads her.

Mr. Salty
07-06-12, 08:59 PM
^ I see her holding a book. I don't see her actually reading it.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3083/kirstendunstbeachsagan.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/kirstendunstbeachsagan.jpg/)

Nick Martin
07-06-12, 09:16 PM
^^

Nice.

Solid Snake
07-06-12, 09:26 PM
Here's a hint, he doesn't skateboard.

The one in the comic books that Steve Ditko drew.

Bullshit reasons. Well maybe not Creo's depending on if that he shouldn't skateboard or that...the one that doesn't skate board.

Look. Parker needs to live in a modern world. His origin as a skeleton is ageless but aspects of who he is won't jive w/ how something is now. I LOVE Reeve's Superman and Kent. They don't fit for today. Well Supes mostly does but Kent doesn't.

While Garfield's Parker isn't exactly a nerd...and is flawed. What he does is more modern. It's not wrong of him to skateboard. Many nerds do that now. Raimi's Parker was the 60s kid. Which if set in that era...that'd be great but it isn't.

What I want out of the core of my character is who he really is as he's known. Both directors failed and also passed. The Spidey films are flawed. Each of them. In their origin and character creation. Marvel has done damn well w/o fearing the origin and adapting it. The characters need to exist in modern, while you may not jive w/ what a certain type is now in some form...it just can be at times.

If anything...once Connors literally goes after Parker at MSHS. That's where I see a good Parker and Spidey...also in modernization.

RocShemp
07-06-12, 09:38 PM
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3083/kirstendunstbeachsagan.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/kirstendunstbeachsagan.jpg/)

Still not reading it. :p

Mr. Salty
07-06-12, 09:55 PM
Still not reading it. :p

Maybe she's looking at the back to see if there are instructions. ;)

RocShemp
07-06-12, 09:58 PM
Maybe she's looking at the back to see if there are instructions. ;)

Maybe she needs IT support:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4KsfP5rCMcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fumanstan
07-07-12, 08:16 PM
I never really understood the hate for Dunst, and don't think she's ugly by any means. But she was wrong for MJ, while Stone was absolutely great as Gwen. Emma Stone easily here.

RocShemp
07-07-12, 08:29 PM
Dunst is a solid actress and an attractive woman. She was just totally miscast as MJ. But then, the character wasn't really written as MJ. Sure, they gave her the name and she said "tiger" one or two times. But the character as written felt totally wrong.

DJariya
07-07-12, 08:33 PM
:thumbsup: It's only 1 movie, but Emma Stone all the way.

I don't hate Dunst. But, I don't think she was right for MJ.

UAIOE
07-07-12, 09:37 PM
Dunst is a solid actress and an attractive woman. She was just totally miscast as MJ. But then, the character wasn't really written as MJ.

:thumbsup:

Admittedly I've not seen the new Spider-Man movie, but what little I've seen of Gwen Stacy leads me to believe shes a better character than the role of MJ in the other movies. But then again, the MJ character always seemed to take a backseat to all the bad guy fighting anyway.

And I liked Kirsten Dunst with red hair. :D

Pizza
07-07-12, 11:57 PM
No real problems with either one if we're discussing looks. They're both very cute.

As for who's better in their role, a tie as well. I don't feel Emma hit the nail as Gwen. She was still great in the movie and as the love interest, but she just wasn't Gwen like Kirsten really wasn't MJ. Loved them both though in both versions as it didn't matter if they were dead on. Spider-Man 2 is still clearly my favorite with The Amazing Spider-Man being a solid number 2.

(Also, they both look odd with the dye job. Sort of ironic the blonde had to be a red head and the dark haired had to be the blonde. Both looked unnatural in their roles.)

Groucho
07-07-12, 11:58 PM
Emma Stone IS a natural blonde.

fumanstan
07-08-12, 12:19 AM

Yeah, its kind of funny how people miss that since she's had red hair in all her roles.

Dragon Tattoo
07-08-12, 01:01 AM
No real problems with either one if we're discussing looks. They're both very cute.

:lol:

Kirsten Dunst looks like a fucking monkey.

(Also, they both look odd with the dye job. Sort of ironic the blonde had to be a red head and the dark haired had to be the blonde. Both looked unnatural in their roles.)

:lol: Jesus Christ. Really? Way to invalidate your entire argument in a sentence.

Pizza
07-08-12, 01:06 AM

Honestly did not know that. Never seen her with blonde hair until this flick and it didn't look natural.

Mr. Salty
07-08-12, 01:13 AM
Honestly did not know that. Never seen her with blonde hair until this flick and it didn't look natural.

Even though Emma Stone is a natural blonde she probably still had a dye job for "Spider-Man," albeit a blonde one. It's not like she had the time between movies it would take to let the red grow out for her natural color.

RocShemp
07-08-12, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't that be a bleach job rather than a dye job?

PhantomStranger
07-08-12, 01:25 AM
Kirsten Dunst was always badly mis-cast as Mary Jane. No one ever bought her as a world-class supermodel but Sony thought she had enough star power to bring in female ticket-buyers.

foxdvd
07-08-12, 01:55 AM
A month ago I would have said Kirsten because even though she is still way younger than me, I don't feel like a huge pervert voting for her...then I read that recent Entertainment Weekly interview with Emma...

call me a pervert...

raven56706
07-08-12, 11:11 AM
Dont find either attractive... But if im picking, will go with emma.

CaptainMarvel
07-08-12, 12:04 PM
Just got done watching all three originals... I like Dunst, but the MJ character itself sucked in those movies. Stone's Stacy just absolutely curb stomps Dunst's Watson.

Tom Creo
07-08-12, 12:07 PM
Bullshit reasons. Well maybe not Creo's depending on if that he shouldn't skateboard or that...the one that doesn't skate board.

Look. Parker needs to live in a modern world. His origin as a skeleton is ageless but aspects of who he is won't jive w/ how something is now.

I get that. Good post. I guess to further explain my "true depiction" statement is that, to me, Parker is a good student, respectful of his elders, and always unlucky in love. This is how decades of Spider-Man comics depicted him. Granted I haven't (won't) see the movie in theaters but from the clips I saw of TASM, Parker is not portrayed like that. Skateboarding just seemed like a good place to start. lol

BTW, how would one portray a nerd in 2012? it seems like all the things I considered nerdy are either in vogue or a lifestyle these days.

And since I wanna keep my post in tune with the thread, one good GIF deserves another.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/scenters/008658864.gif

Solid Snake
07-08-12, 12:11 PM
Just got done watching all three originals... I like Dunst, but the MJ character itself sucked in those movies. Stone's Stacy just absolutely curb stomps Dunst's Watson.

Jeez. lol.

I'd like to add. I find Dunst to be talented and pretty. She ain't hot in the face but she looks good overall. More average over anything in looks..and that's fine. Her MJ was horrid though. That's the way they wrote her and Raimi directed, I guess. Again..3 fucking times she was kidnapped? Jesus.

@Tom Creo

A nerd today? Is much different from a nerd from the 60s..I'm sure you know that. Now w/o adding that which is specially inherent to Peter Parker? They can skate, play video games, do web pages (that's something the ultimate universe added instead of him being a photog), watch all those movies we watch(I did like the rear window poster he had there, dunno if he's a film geek but it was cool), and hell..be a science geek in school..but that's much different than the 60s too.

Raimi's was the 60s Peter. That ages bad over time. Again..the skeleton of WHO the character is is ageless. What he does and looks like? That has to be modernized. Yes, this Peter Parker wasn't really that Peter Parker at times..but once we get the 3rd act? We've got a pretty solid peter parker and he's modern.

Pizza
07-08-12, 05:12 PM

Kirsten Dunst looks like a fucking monkey.

:lol: Jesus Christ. Really? Way to invalidate your entire argument in a sentence.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d138/scenters/008658864.gif
Yes, please invalidate my opinion in the Emma vs. Kirsten debate.

tommyp007
07-08-12, 05:35 PM
Both are cute :shrug:

stingermck
07-08-12, 05:41 PM
Emma all the way. She couldve played a great MJ too.

Dragon Tattoo
07-08-12, 05:43 PM
Yes, please invalidate my opinion in the Emma vs. Kirsten debate.

http://i.imgur.com/g08tb.jpg

Tom Creo
07-08-12, 05:59 PM

BTW, that "YUM" GIF is hilariously cute. What movie is that from?

Solid Snake
07-08-12, 07:14 PM
that cheerleading one I think.

Michael Corvin
07-08-12, 09:18 PM
Emma Stone absolutely has that girl next door cuteness going on. Someone you'd invite over to watch Raiders or Ghostbusters.

Dunst isn't ugly, but she's not as attractive as Hollywood makes her out to be.

Mr. Salty
07-08-12, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't that be a bleach job rather than a dye job?

Point being, it's not her natural hair color any more that the red is.

dhmac
07-08-12, 10:43 PM
Emma Stone absolutely has that girl next door cuteness going on. Someone you'd invite over to watch Raiders or Ghostbusters.

Dunst isn't ugly, but she's not as attractive as Hollywood makes her out to be.
I think both of them are cute and attractive, but neither one is knockdown gorgeous. The whole girl-next-door quality is why both were in the Spider-Man movies to start with.

However, either one can look stunning when done up for a glamour shot photo.

RocShemp
07-09-12, 05:07 AM
Point being, it's not her natural hair color any more that the red is.

I know. I was being facetious. :p

RichC2
07-09-12, 09:06 AM
Emma Stone is alright, Kirsten Dunst is alright. I don't think either is extremely hot, Dunst has a great body. Emma has better comedic timing.

I remember there was an episode of Family Guy where Peter makes a comment -- "That's like asking me to choose between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kirsten Dunst in a "hot body, weird face" contest, it can't be done.", I never thought SJP had a hot body but to a certain extent I could imagine Stone in that poll.

So I'll agree, Wet Hot American Summer / Spider-man 1 era Elizabeth Banks.

BTW, that "YUM" GIF is hilariously cute. What movie is that from?

Easy A. Movie was pretty weak but she was good in it. She had a great cameo in Friends with Benefits.