DVD Talk
Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Solid Snake
07-03-12, 02:51 PM
Ah, Jesus. I've been posting in the book forum. I search for the title and I started putting shit in there....but it's in the goddamn book forum. No wonder it was kind of mum in there.

A city is thrown into chaos following a shooting that leaves five dead. What at first seems like a simple case to solve becomes complicated when the accused requests that Jack Reacher be put on the case.

It's based off a book in a series. Never heard of it, guess I'll toss it on the list of books I should look into at some point.

http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-post-images/JACK-REACHER_6262012810.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1340815828789

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kK7y8Ou0VvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Charlie Goose
07-03-12, 02:56 PM
Great series, but Cruise as Reacher makes my balls shrivel. And that trailer does nothing for me.

starseed1981
07-03-12, 03:01 PM
If my memory serves me correctly Jack Reacher in the novels is almost 7 feet tall and ripped......

Solid Snake
07-03-12, 03:10 PM
He is. But that's also impossible to find an actor that can act well enough for that. Seems like the creator of the series thought so too, seems like he's fine w/ Cruise.

JumpCutz
07-03-12, 03:17 PM
:lol: Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Hated the idea when he was cast and he just looks and sounds silly talking tough in this trailer. :lol:

CharlieK
07-03-12, 03:37 PM
I like Tom Cruise a lot, and the Jack Reacher novels are a lot of fun, but, man, is he out of place here. Yeah, he's not physically right for the character, but more than that, he just isn't as badass, as menacing as the character needs to be. Plus, he's so short. The character gets away with a lot just by being intimidating, and I can't see Cruise pulling it off.

I think Cruise wanted his own Bourne-like franchise with the up-close physical fighting and such and this is a great vehicle for that. Reacher does punch a lot of people in these books.

wmansir
07-03-12, 03:47 PM
I'm sure most authors would be fine with Cruise being cast as a lead considering the star power he brings to a project.

Cruise doesn't just lack the height and build of Reacher (and because of that he fights more Borne than Reacher's brute), he doesn't seem to have the grit and gravitas either. He looks too pretty, too clean. Reacher is a drifter who rides the bus between backwater towns wearing Wranglers and a Hanes T, he doesn't cruise city streets in his cherry muscle car and designer leather jacket.

Why So Blu?
07-03-12, 04:13 PM
Wow, they pulled a Vampire$ with Reacher, I see. James Woods looked nothing like Jack Crow from the book, but it was a John Carpenter film, which is why it worked. I'm curious now.

FinkPish
07-03-12, 04:21 PM
I thought Tom Cruise was pretty intimidating in Collateral, so I don't see why this couldn't work. Plus, with Christopher McQuarrie writing and directing, you know it'll have some snappy dialogue.

TheNightFlier
07-03-12, 05:16 PM
If my memory serves me correctly Jack Reacher in the novels is almost 7 feet tall and ripped......

Not quite, but close enough. 6'5 and his weight varies between 215-250. You can also throw in the blue eyes, and blonde buzzcut as well. One of the worst miscasts on a physical level I've ever seen. Reacher is a basically a goliath and relies a lot on brute strength and force. Just what I expect out of 5'7 170 pound Cruise.

I always pictured Dolph Lundgren circa Universal Soldier when I read the books. Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.

WeylandYutani
07-03-12, 05:37 PM

And "John McClane" was a brutish Dirty Harry-type in Nothing Lasts Forever. In Benchley's Jaws, Hooper and Brody's wife have an affair. And in Who Censored Roger Rabbit, the lovable 'Toon gets machine-gunned to death. People need to get over this shit.

fumanstan
07-03-12, 07:11 PM
Never heard of the character or books before. Looks interesting to me.

wmansir
07-03-12, 07:46 PM
I always pictured Dolph Lundgren circa Universal Soldier when I read the books. Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.
For some reason I always picture a bigger version of Paul Newman circa Cool Hand Luke.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the material enough to say that just because Cruise won't capture the character from the books it can't be a good movie.

whoopdido
07-03-12, 08:03 PM
For some reason I always picture a bigger version of Paul Newman circa Cool Hand Luke.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the material enough to say that just because Cruise won't capture the character from the books it can't be a good movie.

I haven't read the books but I know people who have. They described Jack Reacher as Jack Bauer on steroids. Just a huge, ripped insanely tough and intimidating dude with mad asskicking skills. I got the impression that his physical attributes always played a huge role in the books. Obviously Cruise doesn't have those physical attributes but as long as the movie doesn't try to portray him as an intimidating tough guy then it's no big deal in my opinion.

I agree that people need to chill out if movies don't exactly match the books they're based on.

Neeb
07-03-12, 08:09 PM
Reacher is a drifter who rides the bus between backwater towns wearing Wranglers and a Hanes T, he doesn't cruise city streets in his cherry muscle car and designer leather jacket.

This.

I was kind of agnostic on Cruise as Reacher until I saw the trailer.
Jack Reacher is somehow the perfect hero for Great Recession America. He himself has been laid off, and the guys he almost always finds himself going up against are still apart of the system that tossed him out. It's also no coincidence that a lot of the best Reacher stories are set in Rust Belt America- the places hit hardest by "downsizing" and are also off the attention of corporate media.
Essentially, Jack Reacher is a character from a Bruce Springsteen song come to life.

The trailer makes this movie look like a big budget remake of DRIVE. And no where near as cool.
Also, since we're talking cars... Reacher spends a lot of time on the bus. He doesn't drive classic cars. I think the only notable car in One Shot (source material) in an H2, and it's mocked extensively.
I'm not laying a lot of these bad decisions at the feet of Tom Cruise, but I really think the filmmakers missed some great opportunities to make a film that really resonated with America (and a lot of the ticket buying world) in 2012.

Mysteryfan
07-04-12, 09:45 AM
:lol: Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Hated the idea when he was cast and he just looks and sounds silly talking tough in this trailer. :lol:

this

yojimbo44
07-04-12, 09:55 AM
The books are generally light, breezy escapist reading centered around the character of Reacher and his physical attributes are a large part of what defines him, in addition to his military and family background. Casting Cruise clearly eliminates that component of the character and the other touches in the trailer like the $600 leather jacket and muscle car aren't helping much either - I have liked MacQuarrie's work in the past, but this looks like someone read the back cover of the novel and made that movie based on that.

And I can't be the only one who has pictured Adam Baldwin when reading the books can I?

whoopdido
07-04-12, 10:12 AM
By the way, I just watched the trailer. Reacher in the books is MP (military police) right? The trailer made him out to be an ex-cop. Big difference.

Honestly, I don't think this movie will have any similarties to the book series other than the name of the lead character. For fans of the books, I think you just need to pretend that Tom's name is Bob Jones or something and then it'll just end up being a Tom Cruise action movie.

Solid Snake
07-04-12, 10:41 AM
While I've now great interest in the series' tone and whatnot from what I've read. I'm not stupid enough to not let the film stand on it's own either. It might be a stretch of an adaptation...but the film can't be shackled to the source. That goes for the book fans too. Otherwise we'd all hate the Bonds we've had. Which as a Fleming Bond fan I'm not a fan of the changes to that charcter's world. I'm not going to not say that we haven't had some great films from the series either...again.

It looks cool, seems like a different kind of Cruise role. Which I'm interested in for that. Not a Cruise fan but if he's got a movie that looks interesting to me...I'll see it. I hope it's good. Cruise is always interesting when he does something different. He does a bring a quality to it.

GoldenJCJ
07-04-12, 12:06 PM
Never heard of the books but I find the funniest thing about the trailer is the name "Jack Reacher". What a silly made up name. :lol:

Solid Snake
07-04-12, 12:17 PM
Better than Max Payne. Lol. I do love the MP games though, haven't played MP3 yet.

Vipper II
07-04-12, 12:29 PM
Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.

Dwayne Johnson would be good, too.

Solid Snake
07-04-12, 12:38 PM
Reading the physical description of the character. Hemsworth, as mentioned, fits it better. Though..in sheer presence and size...I'd be ok w/ The Rock, really enjoyed Faster.

RocShemp
07-04-12, 01:00 PM
Never read the books but am aware of the character enough to know its a miscast. Nonetheless, I like Cruise and I liked the trailer. I'm in.

JumpCutz
07-04-12, 08:43 PM
I wonder how many phone books Tammy had to sit on the reach the steering wheel? 50 year old midget kicks the ass of several 6'3 dudes half his age? :lol:

This is like casting Mickey Rooney as Zorro. -ohbfrank-

WeylandYutani
07-04-12, 09:21 PM
I wonder how many phone books Tammy had to sit on the reach the steering wheel? 50 year old midget kicks the ass of several 6'3 dudes half his age? :lol:

I had no idea 5'8 was now considered dwarf-size. Your incessant bashing is becoming sad. Did Cruise rape your mother or something? What gives?

JumpCutz
07-04-12, 09:36 PM
Your incessant bashing is becoming sad. Did Cruise rape your mother or something? What gives?

He can't get it up for woman. :sad:

Someone has some thin skin. -wink-

I'll try to go easy on your hero from now on.

Charlie Goose
07-04-12, 10:36 PM
50 year old midget kicks the ass of several 6'3 dudes half his age? :lol:

The midget part I agree with, but the Reacher character is past 50.

B5Erik
07-04-12, 11:08 PM
I just saw the trailer today and thought it looked really good.

I know nothing about the books, so I'll be able to judge it solely as a movie. More often than not that's a good thing...

sharkstank
07-05-12, 09:10 AM
I'd consider myself a fan of Cruise's stuff, and I have no idea what Jack Reacher is. But that trailer did not make me want to go see the flick. Hopefully a second trailer is way better.

TheNightFlier
07-05-12, 11:42 AM

Yeah the age isn't a factor here since Reacher was 45 in One Shot, the novel the movie is based off of.

WeylandYutani
07-05-12, 02:31 PM

So you agree that men that are 5'8 should be officially classified as midgets?

Solid Snake
07-05-12, 02:42 PM

This is like casting Mickey Rooney as Zorro. -ohbfrank-

I'd argue that age at time doesn't play a factor in a fight depending on the person. Also...if you're going for size. My older cousin is about...5ft 4ins MAX and she's a marine. I once went to a concert w/ her after her duty was done...some guys wouldn't stop hitting on her then they got rough about it...she took down 4 6ft (at least) 200 plus pound guys in I'd guess less than 30 seconds. It was amazing to see and also horrifying. I'd never seen my cousin be violent.

Shannon Nutt
07-05-12, 04:00 PM
I had no idea 5'8 was now considered dwarf-size. Your incessant bashing is becoming sad. Did Cruise rape your mother or something? What gives?

I hate to burst your bubble, but Cruise is about 5'5". With his lifts he's probably close to 5'8", though.

If Cruise is listing himself at 5'8", Katie must be listing herself at 6'0" ;)

WeylandYutani
07-05-12, 04:10 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Cruise is about 5'5". With his lifts he's probably close to 5'8", though.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I've actually met and talked to the man. He is my height, and I can tell you for a fact that he is not 5'5". He simply isn't.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-05-12, 05:10 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but I've actually met and talked to the man. He is my height, and I can tell you for a fact that he is not 5'5". He simply isn't.

How do you know he wasn't wearing lifts when you met him?

PenguinJoe
07-05-12, 05:21 PM

This prob would've been a great vehicle for The Rock.

islandclaws
07-05-12, 05:46 PM
How do you know he wasn't wearing lifts when you met him?

Maybe he, you know, got him out of them...

:eyebrow:

mhg83
07-10-12, 04:55 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jdWSRwGpUZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluetoast
10-17-12, 02:08 PM
WTF? I just found out Werner Herzog plays the bad guy. Now this changes everything.

antspawn
10-17-12, 03:25 PM
<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="676" height="424" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#browseCarouselUI=hide&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&repeat=0&vid=30887645&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2Fjack-reacher%2Ftrailers%2Fjack-reacher-theatrical-trailer-30887645.html"></iframe></div>

Solid Snake
10-17-12, 04:18 PM
I'm still game for this.

redrum
10-17-12, 04:23 PM
awesome trailer

antspawn
10-17-12, 04:23 PM
I'm still game for this.

Same here. I enjoyed Collateral and this looks to be a fun action flick. Tom Cruise is cool. :thumbsup:

superdeluxe
10-17-12, 04:32 PM
Looks pretty good. I'll watch it.

Solid Snake
10-17-12, 04:36 PM
I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise. Movies w/ him don't attract me cuz of him. It's usually something else about them. Granted...I don't follow his work like I do for other actors that interest me. Saying that...he's not a bad actor. Pretty damn good one who is rather versatile if he choose the project to so..otherwise...he's pretty entertaining either way.

superdeluxe
10-17-12, 04:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise. Movies w/ him don't attract me cuz of him. It's usually something else about them. Granted...I don't follow his work like I do for other actors that interest me. Saying that...he's not a bad actor. Pretty damn good one who is rather versatile if he choose the project to so..otherwise...he's pretty entertaining either way.

If the movie didn't interest you, then why start discussion thread around it? Honest question.

Solid Snake
10-17-12, 04:58 PM
Cuz I saw the trailer, saw the forum didn't have a thread for it, decided to do it myself. To boot it got my interest w/ that 1st one. I liked the feel that came off it. Kind of old schoolish.

andy434343
10-17-12, 05:43 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rV6Z5KUja4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like the approach to the new trailer better....

The Antipodean
10-17-12, 06:30 PM
Trailer pretty much hits every action cliche in the book. Pass.

Artman
10-17-12, 08:58 PM
Trailer pretty much hits every action cliche in the book.

Along with the marketing.... this trailer's better but it still just seems like standard fare - nothing unique about it. The last Mission Impossible worked because the film delivered, and word of mouth was good. That's what this'll need, because it doesn't have a lot going for it at the moment...

Throwing Copper
10-17-12, 10:46 PM
this could be good. Cruise knows what he's doing. he'll still have trouble with huge opening weekends because he's turned a lot of people off, but if the film is good then it'll get good word of mouth and people will show up

Groucho
10-17-12, 10:49 PM
Check out the cast list on imdb...

cdollaz
10-17-12, 11:06 PM
I'll likely stick with the books.

Charlie Goose
10-17-12, 11:12 PM
Still a big no for me. I like Cruise quite a bit, but he is not Jack Reacher. I just can't get past the lousy casting.

bluetoast
10-17-12, 11:13 PM
But Herzog! Seriously though I am unfamiliar with Reacher. Can I get an analogy so that I understand what type of miscasting this is?

whoopdido
10-17-12, 11:52 PM
But Herzog! Seriously though I am unfamiliar with Reacher. Can I get an analogy so that I understand what type of miscasting this is?

Reacher in the books is like 6'4" and is chiseled to the max. He's a very imposing dude and pretty much his whole thing is that he's a big, huge badass that will fuck you up.

Think of an older and tougher looking Chris Hemsworth. I just mean that kind of physique. Maybe if Jeffrey Dean Morgan was ripped rather than just big. Personally I always thought he'd make a great Reacher even if he's not as ripped as the books make him out to be.

antspawn
10-17-12, 11:55 PM
Reacher in the books is like 6'4" and is chiseled to the max. He's a very imposing dude and pretty much his whole thing is that he's a big, huge badass that will fuck you up.

So they should rename this movie to Jack Unreachable

♪ta-ran-tan♪*drumroll sound*

Solid Snake
10-18-12, 10:21 AM
See I respect the fans of the books and how passionate they are for it but...you're opinion matters fuck all w/ the possible quality of the film is in using Tom Cruise as the film version of that.

It can be a good movie by being very different from the book...in any generality. The books do interest me though based off of wtf Reacher seems to be like in the book. This though looks like it can also be good. I like the tone Cruise gives off, he's a solid actor, and I kind of get a old school no BS type of vibe from what I can get from the story.

Drexl
10-18-12, 01:06 PM
Based on some of the info about what he's supposed to look like, I think Clancy Brown might have worked.

whoopdido
10-18-12, 01:59 PM
I already posted this, but people that are big fans of the books should just pretend that the movie isn't called Reacher. Just pretend it's called Bob Jones: MP or something like that.

I agree that people that get bent out of shape because the movie is different than the book need to chill out, but Tom Cruise is SO DIFFERENT from what the character of Jack Reacher is supposed to look like that it's not even funny. Tom Cruise might as well been cast as Alex Cross. Alex Cross is supposed to be a 6'3" 250 pound black guy, so why not cast Tom Cruise? Tom Cruise as Alex Cross would have been only slightly more of a miscast as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

That said, I like Tom Cruise. He's goofy as fuck, but I enjoy his movies. Reacher looks like it might be good, but like I said, fans of the book series should just pretend that it's NOT a Jack Reacher movie. They might enjoy it a little more if they can get past that part.

RichC2
12-11-12, 07:31 AM
Reviews are starting to roll in:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jack_reacher/

+ "Begins with one of the best directed sequences of the year, before spinning out a tangled web of hardboiled intrigue, bone-shattering action and ambiguous political philosophy."

- "Whereas the hyperkinetic actor looks best on the run, Reacher is a slow-moving, six-and-a-half-foot enforcer -- the kind of guy Cruise should be outwitting, not playing."

Solid Snake
12-11-12, 08:09 AM
Seems like that 2nd blurb is having a hard time separating the material and taking the film on it's own.

mhanlen1
12-18-12, 10:45 AM
I saw this movie at a test screening earlier this year. Although I'm not going to give any major plot points away or ruin anything- I'll hide it in spoiler tags anyway because I know how sensitive this place can be. If anyone needs to know anything super spoiler-ish- I can put it in another post.

It was decent- I've never read the books so I don't have the baggage. He's definitely ex-military in the movie and not a cop. The car chase in the movie was pretty awesome. Some of the acting came off as made-for-tv-ish but I'm sure that a lot of that has been corrected in re-shoots, editing, or alternate takes. The ending was pretty tense too. Werner Herzog didn't do much as the villian, so anyone expecting more than a guy sitting in shadows and saying cryptic shit are going to be disappointed. Also there looks to be an explosion in the trailer- that was definitely NOT in the cut I saw of the movie.

Draven
12-18-12, 11:08 AM
I'm not going to read the spoiler to find out - did you like it?

mhanlen1
12-18-12, 11:14 AM
I'm not going to read the spoiler to find out - did you like it?

Yeah there were a few bumps along the way, but I found it to be a decent mystery/thriller with some good action scenes. Don't expect much out of Herzog as the villain though. When I saw the test screening in it was called "One Shot." According to the people putting on the screening, the director was there and they said a few different cuts were being shown at the theater. The movie looked pretty finished when I saw it. I can't remember the exact date but I saw it about two weeks after "Safe" premiered in theaters.

Draven
12-18-12, 11:41 AM
Good to know - thanks!

Patman
12-18-12, 12:14 PM
Tom Cruise is trying to get the "Jack Reacher" franchise up and running, and the first installment is a little on the underwhelming side. Jack is a loner ex-military guy who used to do military investigations on servicemen and now finds himself summoned by a defense attorney, played by Rosemund Pike, to prove her client didn't gun down a handful of innocent bystanders with a long-range rifle. It doesn't help things when the client is an ex-sniper from the army with a questionable past in the military. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed "Jack Reacher", and I still find him to be a good writer, but an okay director. But saying that, some plot turns to get to the chase sequences seemed too coincidental to keep the plot moving. There are some supremely loud rifle shots in the film. The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.

I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.

mhanlen1
12-18-12, 12:17 PM
The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.

I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.

Yeah. I don't know when you saw it, or what stage or production... but did any of the scenes between them seem awkward? There seemed quite a few weird pauses when they did scenes together- almost like we were watching an acting class instead of a movie.

d2cheer
12-18-12, 12:52 PM
Seems like that 2nd blurb is having a hard time separating the material and taking the film on it's own.

I don't see that as a problem. You should expect a movie based on a book to be somewhat faithful to the source material especially the main character. Cruise is in no way, shape, or form Jack Reacher.

So Jason Bourne could be Janet Bourne and a 4'11" female?

Patman
12-18-12, 01:03 PM
Yeah. I don't know when you saw it, or what stage or production... but did any of the scenes between them seem awkward? There seemed quite a few weird pauses when they did scenes together- almost like we were watching an acting class instead of a movie.

I saw it in late October. Not only were Cruise and Pike awkward, but the other young girl who, in every one of her scenes with Cruise, just gave off this "OMG, I'm in a scene with Tom Cruise" vibe throughout her scenes. It was laughably amaturish acting, and a better director would have demanded a better performance.

Solid Snake
12-18-12, 01:22 PM
I don't see that as a problem. You should expect a movie based on a book to be somewhat faithful to the source material especially the main character. Cruise is in no way, shape, or form Jack Reacher.

So Jason Bourne could be Janet Bourne and a 4'11" female?

Actually it is a problem. A film, regardless of how different it may be from the source material, has to stand on it's own as a good movie. That's the way all movies should be. Can it be a crappy adaptation but a good movie? Sure.

A film is a film. And a book is a book. They have to be good or bad as a separate entity.

Troy Stiffler
12-18-12, 02:05 PM
This looks solid, but very commonplace. That's what I'm expecting.

mhanlen1
12-18-12, 02:09 PM
That's a pretty accurate description. ^^^

I will say I thought the car chase was really well done.

Kmical
12-18-12, 02:37 PM
Not quite, but close enough. 6'5 and his weight varies between 215-250. You can also throw in the blue eyes, and blonde buzzcut as well. One of the worst miscasts on a physical level I've ever seen. Reacher is a basically a goliath and relies a lot on brute strength and force.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/455/dolphp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/dolphp.jpg/)

???

PenguinJoe
12-19-12, 12:25 AM
I went to a free screening tonight. Not a terrible movie I just left kind of underwhelmed. A decent rental but I wouldn't pay full price to see it. My biggest problem is Tom Cruise's character is just really one dimensional. Nothing really makes him interesting enough to sustain the plot. Leaving I could of thought of at least five other actors who would've added more personality to Reacher. Anyway its supposed to be a franchise so I think you can figure out the conclusion.

Why So Blu?
12-19-12, 11:16 AM
Wasn't planning on seeing this in theaters, but just saw that Werner Herzog is in it and totally kills it in his role. Looks like I will be seeing it in theaters after all.

zoomgirl
12-19-12, 09:33 PM
I just came from a screening myself. Maybe I would have liked it better if I was not a fan of the books. He played the role well enough but he is just miscast for it. The physical description for Jack Reacher is so strong in the books, I just couldn't see past it.

I met Lee Child years ago at a B&N book signing and actually asked him during the Q and A who he would like to have portray Reacher if they ever made a film adaptation and it KILLS me that I no longer remember who he said! The only thing I remember was that he was a British actor (not sure if many people realize Lee Child is from the UK) and that he stressed that this actor meet the physical requirements and how important that was for the character.

zoomgirl
12-19-12, 09:54 PM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/455/dolphp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/dolphp.jpg/)

???

In my opinon, he would have been perfect for the role physically. I have read maybe about 6 of the books and the author really makes such a point of the physique. Tom Cruise is a talented actor, not my favorite but I will give credit where it's due, but in the fight scence outside the bar I kept thinking how short he was which is something I really had never noticed before.
Again, maybe if I hadn't read the books I would have enjoyed it more. Worth watching but I am glad I didn't have to pay for it.

Tarantino
12-19-12, 10:45 PM
I've read two of the books now, and from the books, Cruise is horribly miscast. However, I am going to give him a chance in the role and see the movie first.

Patman
12-19-12, 10:49 PM
I met Lee Child years ago at a B&N book signing and actually asked him during the Q and A who he would like to have portray Reacher if they ever made a film adaptation and it KILLS me that I no longer remember who he said! The only thing I remember was that he was a British actor (not sure if many people realize Lee Child is from the UK) and that he stressed that this actor meet the physical requirements and how important that was for the character.

Vinnie Jones?

zoomgirl
12-20-12, 05:42 AM
Vinnie Jones?

No, I am fairly certain when he said the name it was someone I had never heard of before and I knew who Vinnie Jones was. Note to self, next time write the answer down!.

Geofferson
12-20-12, 09:36 AM
I've listened to Lee Child speak as well. I don't think he mentioned any specific people if he were to cast Jack Reacher other than he be a physically large character. I'm sure his paycheck for the movie trumps all that though. ;)

islandclaws
12-20-12, 10:53 AM
Not that I've read the books, but Ray Stevenson would be a solid pick, no?

Why So Blu?
12-20-12, 12:05 PM

I think he would be.

zoomgirl
12-20-12, 05:58 PM
I've listened to Lee Child speak as well. I don't think he mentioned any specific people if he were to cast Jack Reacher other than he be a physically large character. I'm sure his paycheck for the movie trumps all that though. ;)

Well, at my book signing he did mention a specific actor....but he was a UK actor and the name was not familiar to me. Probably why it haunts me so much!! This was in NY around 2005 or so...

Wazootyman
12-20-12, 06:37 PM
Saw it last night. Left it whelmed. I actually did like Cruise in the role, seemed suited to his strengths, but the supporting cast was thoroughly meh. Not disappointed I went, but would have, had I paid money.

Never read any of the books, despite liking Lee Childs' works with Douglas Preston.

zoomgirl
12-20-12, 08:11 PM

I had to look him up, that was the actor that was just on Dexter no? Yes, he would have to lose the accent but I think he would be a good fit!

Geofferson- I agree at the end of the day I am sure the paycheck was very pretty!

GatorDeb
12-21-12, 07:13 PM
Saw this today. Never read a Reacher book. I thought it was solid but it was kind of funny how Pike had this deer-in-the-headlights kind of look the whole movie. I wouldn't avoid movies she's in but it would make me look forward to them less. I was entertained. Thought it was funny how Reacher says "Mission Impossible" in the movie.

Why So Blu?
12-21-12, 07:21 PM
I had to look him up, that was the actor that was just on Dexter no? Yes, he would have to lose the accent but I think he would be a good fit!

Geofferson- I agree at the end of the day I am sure the paycheck was very pretty!

He was the Punisher in War Zone and kicked even more as on Rome from HBO.