Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only Queen+ Trash Talk thread...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-02-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's bad enough having that guy sing but what the heck is Roger Taylor doing singing songs way out of his range? What is the point of this?
Old 07-03-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The one and only Queen+ Trash Talk thread...

I would think money and the inability to let the past go. But Lambert is a fitting front man for an ersatz musical product such as this.
Old 07-03-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey this is weird. I didn't start this thread but I'm the first post. Has someone hacked my account?
Old 07-03-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Benedict is the likely offender. My guess is that he removed your comments from the current Queen thread since you were threadcrapping.
Old 07-03-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No wonder this Music Forum is dying. Every thread is supposed to be a lovefest even if it's something seriously fucked up like Queen with Adam Lambert?
Old 07-03-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP of that thread specifically asked for no threadcrapping. Crap here instead, pretty easy.
Old 07-03-12, 10:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think it should be perfectly acceptable, if somebody posts a video of a musical performance, to state one's opinion on that performance. How is that threadcrapping?
Old 07-03-12, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
The OP of that thread specifically asked for no threadcrapping. Crap here instead, pretty easy.
I have no opinion on this Queen thing either way but I found that kinda funny.

Basic idea of that thread: If you want to have an actual discussion then take it elsewhere, that thread is for praising Queen + Lambert only. Meanwhile 36 hours in and it has 2 posts other than the OP. Making ridiculous proclamations is certainly one way to kill your own thread before it even gets started.
Old 07-04-12, 03:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

I know... I know...

Originally Posted by auto
Benedict is the likely offender. My guess is that he removed your comments from the current Queen thread since you were threadcrapping.
Originally Posted by Groucho
I think it should be perfectly acceptable, if somebody posts a video of a musical performance, to state one's opinion on that performance. How is that threadcrapping?
Many of the Queen+ threads have turned into fights that were possibly as much based on dogma as on a critical discussion of this or that song. The OP of the latest Queen+ thread actively endeavoured to prevent a repetition of that with his opening post.

While I agree that stifling discussion isn't ideal, undoubtedly there is a balancing act between that and allowing a free-for-all.

My judgement this time was to allow the free-for-all to develop in a separate thread i.e. this one.

The original thread will live or die on its own merits.
Old 07-04-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I said. There's a reason this forum is dying.
Old 07-04-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never understood why threads need so much control to begin with.

it's a freakin' thread. It means NOTHING at all in any way whatsoever!

Why people can't just say what they want is beyond me.

Having said all that, I for one would like to welcome our moderator overlords.
Old 07-04-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
No wonder this Music Forum is dying. Every thread is supposed to be a lovefest even if it's something seriously fucked up like Queen with Adam Lambert?
agreed
Old 07-04-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
agreed
Well then you're just as wrong as cungar.

Read the Music Talk do's and don'ts thread at the top of the forum. The statement about thread craps is pretty clear. Not every thread needs music hipsters weighing in with their disdain for what other people like. It's not tolerated in other forum areas; there's no reason why it should be here.
Old 07-04-12, 11:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Stating an opinion about the performance being discussed in the thread is not a threadcrap.
Old 07-05-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Stating an opinion about the performance being discussed in the thread is not a threadcrap.
Dont kid yourself. Cungar's post wasn't a stellar critique of the concert in question. It was an unsolicited bashing of Adam Lambert and Queen+.

But OK, if you don't want to read the thread I referenced, here's the very first example in the do's and don'ts thread:

One commonly seen threadcrap is someone posting that "___________ is a crappy song/artiste" in a thread dedicated to information about the CD/concert etc. The point of the thread isn't really to discuss the quality of the artiste, but to discuss the CD/concert etc.
And in the Queen+ thread, the OP specifically posted this:

So let's make this perfectly clear then, this thread is specifically for and about this show and the remaining four concerts Queen+ Lambert will be performing this summer in Europe. If you wish to make the typical comments about these collaborations, this is NOT the thread to do so. This has nothing to do with Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, how it's shameful that the rest of the band is going on, etc etc and so on. It's about the show(s) only. So please keep that in mind before deciding to comment and I think we'll all be able to get along just fine.
Really, how hard is it to be civil and just abide by that request?

The reason the Music Forum is "dying," if it even is, is because it's filled with music snobs who suck the fun out of every thread they wander into.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 07-05-12 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said Mr. Salty
Old 07-05-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

Read the Music Talk do's and don'ts thread at the top of the forum. The statement about thread craps is pretty clear. Not every thread needs music hipsters weighing in with their disdain for what other people like. It's not tolerated in other forum areas; there's no reason why it should be here.
Originally Posted by auto
Well said Mr. Salty
Aren't you crapping in this thread. We are trying to bash ersatz queen and you guys are ruining it.
Maybe someone should start a thread about how ersatz queen is better than ever.
Old 07-05-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

LOL Now I'm a hipster. You sure seem to know a lot about me.

At least I didn't stereotype people that would listen to an Adam Lambert led Queen as cloying sycophants who never saw Queen when they were a real band and who are now latching onto some Vegas meets aging classic rock version of the band led by a karaoke show winner.

At least I didn't do that.
Old 07-05-12, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by cungar
Hey this is weird. I didn't start this thread but I'm the first post. Has someone hacked my account?
Just FYI, I made no complaints about your post in that thread since it was specifically about the show itself. People can certainly, IMO, post their opinions on the quality of the performances, etc. I was just making a point to say that posts should be about the show(s) themselves and not devolve into the typical histrionics that Queen+ subjects often fall into. I thought it was a fair comment to make about Roger Taylor's singing, I don't agree with it but IMO I felt it was appropriate considering my request for civility in the original post there.

Edit: Whoops, ok I see why it was moved, totally didn't see the first part of his comment.
Old 07-05-12, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I have no opinion on this Queen thing either way but I found that kinda funny.

Basic idea of that thread: If you want to have an actual discussion then take it elsewhere, that thread is for praising Queen + Lambert only. Meanwhile 36 hours in and it has 2 posts other than the OP. Making ridiculous proclamations is certainly one way to kill your own thread before it even gets started.
Ridiculous or no, it was done with a very specific intention in mind, which has been stated clearly here. Surely an attempt at civility isn't a bad thing?