Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen+ Adam Lambert 2012 European tour discussion thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-02-12, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First things first, I've had discussions with the admin here because previous threads similar to this were threadcrapped again and again, IMO with the intention of getting them closed because they hate the idea of Queen+ anyone. So let's make this perfectly clear then, this thread is specifically for and about this show and the remaining four concerts Queen+ Lambert will be performing this summer in Europe. If you wish to make the typical comments
about these collaborations, this is NOT the thread to do so. This has nothing to do with Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, how it's shameful that the rest of the band is going on, etc etc and so on. It's about the show(s) only. So please keep that in mind before deciding to comment and I think we'll all be able to get along just fine.

Now, here's the youtube link to watch the concert in full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcFHOQp-5c

There were definitely some tech issues and performance goofs at points but that's to be expected in a live show, even moreso when it's their first proper gig together. The Ukraine concert was a double bill with Elton John and was put on for free as it was an AIDS awareness benefit type thing.

First show jitters aside, I was generally pleased with the song selection (fast version of "We Will Rock You" and "Seven Seas of Rhye" were nice to hear live for the first time in decades!) Roger Taylor and Lambert duetting on "Under Pressure" worked quite well and it certainly gave me a smile when Roger and his son Rufus had a "drum off" (drum battle?)

Highlights; "Who Wants to Live Forever" was definitely right up Lambert's alley as was "Don't Stop me Now."
Coulda done without; "Fat Bottomed Girls" as, honestly, it doesn't suit Lambert at all. Show started off awkwardly with the song selection, the taped intro to "Flash" then sloppily turning into "Rhye" just didn't work very well.

I'd have to give the show a 7/10, lots of room for improvement but an overall pleasing show.
Old 07-02-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Queen+ Adam Lambert 2012 European tour discussion thread

Here's an embed:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bfcFHOQp-5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-03-12, 11:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

There's now a dedicated thread for anyone who likes to discuss deficiencies in Queen+ as compared to Queen.

Please respect the OP's intent and leave this thread for a discussion of those who see some good in the Queen+ combo.

Thanks in advance to all for their cooperation and understanding.
Old 07-03-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just quickly clicked through for now. Looks entertaining. I'm a big Roger Taylor fan, good to see him out front. Don't think I've ever heard Brian May sing before. I'll definitely watch this in its entirety at some point. Please post if anyone finds a higher quality recording.
Old 07-05-12, 01:30 PM

Their show in Moscow seems to have gone done well, plenty of YT vids available. Reports seem to indicate Lambert was more relaxed and sounded better than in Ukraine. Set list was the same with one addition, "Life Is Real."
Old 07-05-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
First things first, I've had discussions with the admin here because previous threads similar to this were threadcrapped again and again, IMO with the intention of getting them closed because they hate the idea of Queen+ anyone. So let's make this perfectly clear then, this thread is specifically for and about this show and the remaining four concerts Queen+ Lambert will be performing this summer in Europe. If you wish to make the typical comments
about these collaborations, this is NOT the thread to do so. This has nothing to do with Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, how it's shameful that the rest of the band is going on, etc etc and so on.
It's about the show(s) only. So please keep that in mind before deciding to comment and I think we'll all be able to get along just fine.

Now, here's the youtube link to watch the concert in full:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcFHOQp-5c

There were definitely some tech issues and performance goofs at points but that's to be expected in a live show, even moreso when it's their first proper gig together. The Ukraine concert was a double bill with Elton John and was put on for free as it was an AIDS awareness benefit type thing.

First show jitters aside, I was generally pleased with the song selection (fast version of "We Will Rock You" and "Seven Seas of Rhye" were nice to hear live for the first time in decades!) Roger Taylor and Lambert duetting on "Under Pressure" worked quite well and it certainly gave me a smile when Roger and his son Rufus had a "drum off" (drum battle?)

Highlights; "Who Wants to Live Forever" was definitely right up Lambert's alley as was "Don't Stop me Now."
Coulda done without; "Fat Bottomed Girls" as, honestly, it doesn't suit Lambert at all. Show started off awkwardly with the song selection, the taped intro to "Flash" then sloppily turning into "Rhye" just didn't work very well.

I'd have to give the show a 7/10, lots of room for improvement but an overall pleasing show.
Provide link to that thread please?
Old 07-05-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Provide link to that thread please?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/...m-lambert.html
Old 07-06-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

T/y
Old 07-13-12, 07:51 AM

So there's just one remaining show left on this mini-tour, which will be the third night of their stint at London's Hammersmith venue. It's been confirmed that all three shows have/will be filmed for a possible commercial release down the line.

It's funny to see how some fans who previously railed against this has now slowly changed their stance upon seeing/hearing performances as the shows steamed ahead. Yeah, the Ukraine gig had it's issues but as I said previously, it was the first show, it was to be expected but I must say Lambert has really settled in to the role and May/Taylor are clearly having a ball.

I would be shocked is this Saturday was their last gig together. I've got the feeling that offers are pouring in from promoters worldwide. The shows have been well received by the critics, tix have sold very well, etc.
Old 07-13-12, 07:53 AM

Here's the show's opening numbers taken from the July 12th concert in London:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ctkO...layer_embedded
Old 07-13-12, 08:00 AM

The set list has remained static through their run;

Flash (intro)
Seven Seas Of Rhye
Keep Yourself Alive
We Will Rock You (Fast)
Fat Bottomed Girls
Don’t Stop Me Now
Under Pressure (Roger/Adam duet)
I Want It All
Who Wants To Live Forever
A Kind Of Magic (Roger)
These Are Days Of Our Lives (Roger)
The Show Must Go On (part) (Brian)
Love Of My Life (Brian)
‘39 (Brian)
Dragon Attack
Drum Battle / Guitar Solo
I Want To Break Free
Another One Bites The Dust
Radio Ga Ga
Somebody To Love
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Bohemian Rhapsody
---
Tie Your Mother Down (Brian)
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions

Still, a pretty solid selection of Queen's history with only two albums not being represented.
Old 07-16-12, 08:38 PM

Re: Queen+ Adam Lambert 2012 European tour discussion thread

If George Michael and Robbie Williams had a child....

To be honest, his stage presence seems to lack (honest) confidence. The guy's got serious vocal talent though, I'll give him that much. It's never going to be Queen without Freddie though, forever a shame.