Reload this Page >

WOMEN IN DANGER: 1950S Thrillers TCM Universal Box

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 06-29-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Does anyone know of a decent price on this, &/or when it's going to go into general circulation? Also does anyone know if it's burned or factory pressed?

Apparently was just released earlier this month as a TCM/Movies Unlimited Exclusive. Unfortunately as you may know, MU is about the highest priced retailer on the web.

http://www.amazon.com/Women-In-Dange.../dp/B0089EDDNA

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=369635&pa=sli
Old 06-29-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: WOMEN IN DANGER: 1950S Thrillers TCM Universal Box

Do any of the TCM exclusives ever get released to other retailers? I would love to get the Jolly Frolics set if it were just a little cheaper (I'll probably get it anyway). As an aside, the version of Remember the Night on Amazon is apparently a DVD-R without the extras on the TCM version, so I don't think that one should count.
Old 06-29-12, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TCM has some GREAT-looking boxed sets, but the price always scares me away. The Jean Arthur sets, the Columbia Noir III set, the Colbert/MacMurray set, etc. And they never seem to go on sale!
Old 06-29-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every once in awhile, MU will throw out a $5 coupon which doesn’t do much to lower your cost. They also have sales although their sale prices are higher than most retailers usual prices. I have the Columbia Noir III set and I don’t regret the purchase even though it was more than I paid for the other Columbia Noir sets.

A cheaper method of getting to see these films would be to rent them from classicflix.com. I was able to rent the Jolly Frolics series there. They also carry other TCM vault titles like the Columbia Noir III discs and the Women in Danger discs. I also rent a lot of MOD discs from them. MOD discs are too expensive to blind buy. Many of these films did not garner a general DVD release for a reason but there are some hidden jewels among them. Classicflix works similar to Netflix in that it is subscription based. Their shipping takes much longer though since they do not have the distribution network Netflix has. This way you can see the films and be sure you want to spend the money to buy the set. They’re the best option to see these films cheaply. I don’t work for them but I have been pretty satisfied as a customer.
Old 06-29-12, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An important subnote to these TCM sets is that the Universal ones only press discs for an initial print run. Once those discs run out, all subsequent sets are burn on demand. The Sony sets, however, claim to be pressed discs all the way through. The upshot here is, if you have to make a priority, target the Universal sets first because waiting will not reward you at all. Oh, and I've never seen one of these sets go into general distribution yet so I wouldn't be holding out for that. Not saying it'll never happen, just that it hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-29-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Every once in awhile, MU will throw out a $5 coupon which doesn’t do much to lower your cost. They also have sales although their sale prices are higher than most retailers usual prices. I have the Columbia Noir III set and I don’t regret the purchase even though it was more than I paid for the other Columbia Noir sets.

A cheaper method of getting to see these films would be to rent them from classicflix.com. I was able to rent the Jolly Frolics series there. They also carry other TCM vault titles like the Columbia Noir III discs and the Women in Danger discs. I also rent a lot of MOD discs from them. MOD discs are too expensive to blind buy. Many of these films did not garner a general DVD release for a reason but there are some hidden jewels among them. Classicflix works similar to Netflix in that it is subscription based. Their shipping takes much longer though since they do not have the distribution network Netflix has. This way you can see the films and be sure you want to spend the money to buy the set. They’re the best option to see these films cheaply. I don’t work for them but I have been pretty satisfied as a customer.

Thanks for the info on Classicflix - I've been considering the route you've taken and it's nice to know what I'll be getting into!
Old 06-29-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I would sign up for the TCM shop newsletter. They had a 20% off coupon this past Memorial Day that lasted for a few hours. I ended up buying the Film Noir and Jolly Frolics sets. I'm sure they will have future coupons.
Old 06-29-12, 07:46 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The problem is 20 percent isn't really enough. I think I was tempted on Black friday when they added free shipping to 20 percent.
Old 06-29-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're right 20% + free ship is still $32 delivered (ouch).

I miss the days when BB had the exclusive Uni Sci-FI 50's boxes for around $15 ea.
Old 06-30-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They were also on sale at the same time I used the coupon so the $40 titles ended up being $28 and the $50 were $36. I miss the old days too but this is much better than MOD.
Old 06-30-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, if i was in good shape financially I'd pick it up (I obviously want it, which is why I posted) but don't have those kind of $'s right now.

And I literally have close to 2,000 dvd's in my personal collection I haven't watched.
Old 06-30-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah the thing with these pricey sets is I should probably wait to see if they'll go down in price, but I don't want to. Ahh, the collector's dilemma...
Old 06-30-12, 11:18 PM

I'd been keeping an eye on these exclusives for a while and when the Memorial Day sale hit I snapped them up. This seems to be the best price they're likely to get.

I've been using Classicflix for a couple of months and it's been a good supplement for things other places don't carry (lookin' at you Netflix). It might seem a tad pricey but I think overall it's kept me from buying discs I didn't really need to own so a good value in the big picture. One nice thing about them is that they don't charge extra for Bluray like Netflix does - just put the BD in your queue and it will ship. They sent out a questionnaire about a streaming service that they're considering.
Old 07-01-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could someone list any other similar "significant" TCM exclusive titles?
Old 07-03-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This one looks 100% essential & 100% expensive:
New Columbia Pre-Code Set
http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=371...02NewPreCodeBH

Sorry for the bad link. It has been edited.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 07-04-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can get 20% off everything today only with the code JULY4.
Old 07-04-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know how much they charge for shipping? It seems to be quite well hidden on the web site.
Old 07-05-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

international shipping is ridiculous, I tried to order 3 sets and it cost me $38.95 for shipping, despite showing only $6.95 on the final order page. I have asked for a cancellation.

Moviesunlimited is much better for shipping but unfortunately dont have the 20% off right now.
Old 07-05-12, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Does anyone know how much they charge for shipping? It seems to be quite well hidden on the web site.
I was looking for the same info w/o success ... shop.tcm.com answers some inane questions in FAQ but not the basic one ... how much is shipping?
Old 07-05-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From TCM,

"Feedback for Answer ID 845 (Rated: Not Helpful)

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(Palmer B.) - 07/05/2012 12:31 PM
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your email. In order to view our shipping rates, please add the items that you are interested in to your cart and select view the card. Once you view the cart, you will be able to view the shipping charges. We hope this information helps.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Best regards,

Briena
Customer Care Center"
Old 07-06-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I can tell you that that's a complete lie for international orders, the final order page does not show total shipping charges. You see those after you confirm your order.