Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Silver Linings Playbook (11/21/12, Dir: Russell)

Solid Snake
06-28-12, 01:44 PM
Didn't know he was doing this. In somebody else's hands this could be pretty generic in execution but I see bits where it could easily surpass that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cv7cok1Yyqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

found this:

The trailer recently premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. The acting was well-praised, particularly in the parts played by Bradley Cooper, Chris Tucker, and Jennifer Lawrence. According to Indiewire, Chris Tucker showed some legitimate acting skills even during the small trailer. On Twitter, a movie review account called TwitchFilm doted on Jennifer Lawrence's performance in the trailer, saying she "stole the trailer."

yeah, that's the part that surprised me as I saw this. He can act.

RichC2
06-28-12, 02:23 PM
It just me or does this seem like it'd be better without the dancing subplot?

Solid Snake
06-28-12, 02:32 PM
yeah...that's the part that confuses me. It comes out of nowhere.

jfoobar
06-28-12, 04:26 PM
It looks predictable, but will be predictable with some originality and style? The trailer was cut in a very mass market appeal sort of way, which didn't help, but I will be interested to see what the early reviews say about it.

Dr. DVD
06-28-12, 06:10 PM
I saw the preview for this on ET! and was surprised when I saw the director was Russell. That might mean this is more than the trailer appears.

Tarantino
06-28-12, 10:48 PM
Looks terribly generic.

Groucho
06-29-12, 12:50 AM
I believe this uses the same script Russell wrote for the Uncharted adaptation, they just changed the title and the names of the characters.

RichC2
09-10-12, 10:08 AM
Glowing reviews from TIFF.

Dr. DVD
09-10-12, 04:39 PM
I just hope new previews try to show the movie as more than a Dirty Dancing re-boot.

The Bus
09-10-12, 06:01 PM
I'll see this.

Dr. DVD
09-11-12, 07:17 PM
Has it won any awards from the festival?

AnonomusBob15
09-11-12, 10:52 PM
I waited on Chris Tucker a couple years ago at the Olive Garden. Funny guy but he's pretty reclusive.

TheBang
10-18-12, 06:53 PM
Saw this last night. The performances were really good. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are great, and even Chris Tucker was surprising. He's shows up several times, but he's never overbearing, and there's just the right amount of him (he's a supporting character).

The movie and story itself are pretty good, but not necessarily great. It's a fun and funny movie though, and worth a watch, I think. The only criticism I have is that it's a bit long for this type of movie.

Nicholas Vargo
10-23-12, 11:11 PM
Saw it a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I can imagine this getting Oscar consideration. David O'Russell has struck gold once again. Oh, and after Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, and now this, I am totally smitten with Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance here reminds us why she is arguably the best actress of this generation!

Solid Snake
10-24-12, 03:46 AM
....hrmm. Best actress of this generation. Dunno how I feel about that.

Tarantino
10-24-12, 08:13 AM
Saw it a couple of weeks ago and loved it! I can imagine this getting Oscar consideration. David O'Russell has struck gold once again. Oh, and after Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, and now this, I am totally smitten with Jennifer Lawrence. Her performance here reminds us why she is arguably the best actress of this generation!

Um...not even.

RichC2
10-24-12, 08:41 AM
To that comments credit, "this generation" can mean a lot, and she is arguably the best under 25 year old actress in Hollywood right now.

Not that there is much competition there.

http://www.picshag.com/pics/032011/emma-watson-vs-kristen-stewart-emotion-chart.jpg

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/emmastone-bang.gif

Osiris3657
10-28-12, 09:32 PM
Just watched the trailer, looks good. Bradley Cooper doesn't make me want to punch him in the face for once.

Moopher
11-08-12, 09:06 PM
Just saw the trailer for this...suddenly Chris Tucker just comes out of nowhere, wtf?

Giles
11-08-12, 09:24 PM
Just watched the trailer, looks good. Bradley Cooper doesn't make me want to punch him in the face for once.

how true... Bradley's the male 'Tara Reid' - charismatic, but can't act worth spit. The fact that Jennifer Lawrence is in this makes me cringe even more.

jfoobar
11-16-12, 06:26 AM
Saw an advanced screening last night. My earlier comment that it would possibly be "predictable with some originality and style" ended up being accurate. I would say that the writing loses its way a bit at the end, but the movie delivers a lot of laughs along the way and the performances are quite good. Definitely a solid date movie.

PatD
11-16-12, 10:03 AM
So, is this another RomCom that involves mental illness in the storyline as a way to make things 'quirky', but completely glosses over the harsh realities of mental illness?

geicos27
11-16-12, 11:17 AM
^ I would say no. It does portray the hardships of mental illness and not in a quirky way. The only time I can remember that was "quirky" is the scene in the trailer where he barges into their room to complain about the book.

Giles
11-16-12, 08:34 PM
oh so Cooper's doing a 'Rainman' - ugh... what Oscar fodder.

bluetoast
11-17-12, 12:06 AM
Nah I saw it as well and he has no shot whatsoever at that. But I'll say that the supporting cast really shined in this one. Especially Chris Tucker, and the guy who played Julia Stiles's husband.

Throwing Copper
11-17-12, 12:10 AM
If Bradley Cooper was replaced by a different actor, a lot of the cinema nerds on here would love it.

I thought it was really good, in all aspects.

bluetoast
11-17-12, 12:21 AM
I was one of the few who liked The Words as well.

But I'm still glad that Cooper and DeNiro are working together. It's pretty amazing watching that Inside the Actor's Studio episode with Cooper, and they showed a clip of him as a student asking DeNiro a question when he was on. Little did they know that they would do 2 movies together within 10 years.

PenguinJoe
11-19-12, 11:51 PM
I went to a screening of it tonight. It was pretty enjoyable, the ending was a bit convenient but overall I liked the movie. Def an Oscar nomiantion fro DeNeniro one of his better more relatable characters. Also, Julia Stiles as a mom blew my mind. I remember being in school and seeing Save The Last Dance and 10 Things I hate about you on dates now she's a mom in movies.

RichC2
11-20-12, 07:23 AM
I went to a screening of it tonight. It was pretty enjoyable, the ending was a bit convenient but overall I liked the movie. Def an Oscar nomiantion fro DeNeniro one of his better more relatable characters. Also, Julia Stiles as a mom blew my mind. I remember being in school and seeing Save The Last Dance and 10 Things I hate about you on dates now she's a mom in movies.

She was a mom in The Omen remake six years ago as well.

Then again, Carla Gugino was 29 when they did Spy Kids 1. It does come off a bit odd sometimes hah.

PenguinJoe
11-20-12, 08:23 AM
She was a mom in The Omen remake six years ago as well.

Then again, Carla Gugino was 29 when they did Spy Kids 1. It does come off a bit odd sometimes hah.

Never saw The Omen remake, in fact didn't even know it existed.

PenguinJoe
11-20-12, 12:41 PM
BTW anyone notice when Pat and Tiffany get into a fight on halloween in front of the movie theater the movie playing is MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN

TheBang
11-20-12, 10:14 PM
Yeah, an EW interview mentioned that they put that in there as an in-joke.

SuperJim88
11-20-12, 10:41 PM
Having a dancing competition as an instrument to get the main characters together seem forced. A story rewrite for another method to get them together would have been better. Also, having this end on a happy ever after seems unlikely. How realistic is it really for a sex addict to stop acting out just because she met the right person for now? How realistic is it for rageholic to calm down and think rationally after realizing the true writer of the letter? Perhaps the real climax should have been Pat came to the realization how Tiffany was working with Pat's parents to get them together all along. That Pat was really set up by his parents to get along with Tiffany so he may forget Nikki. A lousy bet seems short-sighted and an quick exit to the conclusion.

I love the chemistry between the two. Jennifer Lawrence was very raw and uninhibited. Perhaps she really is like her character in real life helped, but her performance was great. Oscar worthy? Not quite.

Finisher
11-26-12, 10:03 PM
It's pretty amazing watching that Inside the Actor's Studio episode with Cooper, and they showed a clip of him as a student asking DeNiro a question when he was on. Little did they know that they would do 2 movies together within 10 years.
Just watched the clip on Youtube; that's nuts.

I will credit Bradley Cooper for his performance here. Very natural, effortless. Seemed like a normal human being with issues rather than a caricature.

Jennifer Lawrence is equally convincing. Doesn't hurt that she's stupid hot.

gp1086
11-27-12, 01:14 AM
Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favorite movies of this year. Nothing like some good storytelling with some fantastic acting. This is the best I've seen Bradley Cooper, De Niro brings his A-game, and Jennifer Lawrence will get at least nominated for leading actress.

Giles
11-27-12, 09:28 AM
Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favorite movies of this year. Nothing like some good storytelling with some fantastic acting. This is the best I've seen Bradley Cooper, De Niro brings his A-game, and Jennifer Lawrence will get at least nominated for leading actress.

hate to admit it, but yes, he actually does show emotional range in this role.

asianxcore
12-02-12, 09:24 PM
Saw this tonight with one of my close friends. We both loved it!

As already mentioned, Cooper, Lawrence and De Niro were all fantastic!

gp1086
12-02-12, 09:57 PM
A shame this got such a limited release (in 371 theatres right now). Wish more people got to see it.

Throwing Copper
12-02-12, 10:13 PM
A shame this got such a limited release (in 371 theatres right now). Wish more people got to see it.

It was supposed to go to about 2,000 screens, but they are just bringing it out slowly.

It'll expand quite a bit in the coming weeks.

gp1086
12-02-12, 10:14 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for the heads up!

GatorDeb
12-03-12, 02:48 AM
Soooo excited to see this Tuesday, already got my ticket!! :)

GatorDeb
12-05-12, 12:53 AM
Enjoyed it. However....

In that part where the doctor tells him to do the dance so that word gets back to his wife and maybe they will patch it up... did that seem like bad advice to anybody else?

gp1086
12-05-12, 02:28 PM
Enjoyed it. However....

In that part where the doctor tells him to do the dance so that word gets back to his wife and maybe they will patch it up... did that seem like bad advice to anybody else?
I just thought the doctor wanted to keep him busy / give him a hobby, to get his mind off Nikki.

GatorDeb
12-05-12, 03:37 PM
It just seemed to be about as much 100000% BAD advice as he could get :)

Jules Winfield
12-05-12, 03:39 PM
I just thought the doctor wanted to keep him busy / give him a hobby, to get his mind off Nikki.

Right, he's not really saying he should take up dance to so that word gets back to his wife. The doctor is saying that to get him to dance, using the excuse of his wife to make him pursue something else.

GatorDeb
12-05-12, 03:42 PM
I'm pretty sure he says verbatim, if you do the dance word may get back to your wife and she may see you changed. It just seemed like telling an arsonist to take up bombmaking.

Jules Winfield
12-05-12, 03:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he says verbatim, if you do the dance word may get back to your wife and she may see you changed. It just seemed like telling an arsonist to take up bombmaking.

He may have said it literally but his intention(which he doesn't reveal to Bradley Cooper because well, he doesn't want to seem to do anything without a reunion with his wife as the outcome) may have been to just get him to dance. It's like telling a little kid that Santa Claus is not going to give them a toy if they misbehave when we all know that's bullshit because there's no such thing as little kids.

cartman
12-05-12, 11:04 PM
I really loved this movie. It so makes up for the terrible I Heart Huckabees.

Patman
12-16-12, 11:35 AM
Having not seen too much marketing for this film, but buoyed by some good buzz on the performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, I gave it a viewing. I came away with 2 hours of enjoying the ride of watching a family dramedy with a solid interpersonal script for its cast.

In the film, Patrick (Bradley Cooper) is brought home from a stint in a mental health facility, brought on from an incident in the recent past, where some of his mental health issues combined with marital life issues came to a head and he snapped. Trying to get back to his former life is a struggle, but he is introduced to Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence in a solid performance), recently widowed, and their odd non-filtered, honesty unfurls into a quid pro quo arrangement for the both of them with different goals, but needing one another to achieve them. Robert Deniro, as Pat's father, has his own subplot that supports some of the unfiltered brashness that Patrick puts out there in the world. The story does have a familiar cadence to rom-coms, but the script and pacing of the film are so good, and the humor builds and builds because even with their faults and quirks, they are still in most way very rootable in the end.

And then I found out it was written and directed by David O'Russell during the end credits, and I understood why its tone and quirks worked for me.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

Dr. DVD
12-16-12, 02:27 PM
Saw it yesterday. Really liked it. Cooper definitely has potential as an actor if he avoids Hangover type roles after the third one is finished. Lawrence did a great job, and I loved the scene she shares with the rest of the cast and debates DeNiro. She really showed she is on the level. Speaking of DeNiro, this was the first movie I have seen him in in a long time where it didn't seem like he was playing a caricature of himself. I hope he gets a supporting actor nod. Only one minor gripe:

This didn't seem like the kind of movie that would have the happy ending it did. I think a more compromising one would have suited it better.

pelenor
12-18-12, 02:52 AM
Saw this earlier today and have to say that it totally lives up to the hype. Bradley cooper and Jennifer lawrence are phenomenal. I can't believe that Lawrence is only 22!! Robert Deniro hasn't been good since "Stardust" IMOP. Chris Tucker was also good and the mom(I don't know her name) was really good. Over all a great experience. my favorite scene

when deniro is sitting on Coopers bed and is tearing up saying they should spend more time together. Wow.

Dan
12-18-12, 10:49 PM
Yeah, great movie.

EdTheRipper
12-19-12, 02:18 PM
Saw this today. Easily in my top 10 of the year. Both of the leads were great. This has to be the best thing Cooper has done. Lawrence really proved herself IMO. And she's just gorgeous. I'm in love, haha. DeNiro was solid and Chris Tucker was a pleasant surprise.

Throwing Copper
12-20-12, 12:10 AM
It's a great movie. Kind of shame it's STILL only in about 350 or so locations.

Why on earth they still haven't expanded this so it's truly nationwide is beyond me.

The critics love it, mostly everyone who sees it really like it......I don't get it.

mdc3000
12-20-12, 07:53 AM
^Looks to be expanding a bit on Christmas Day. Fucking finally.

RichC2
12-20-12, 08:07 AM
They need to pull this movie and relaunch it the first week of January. I think it can do well.

Instead they put all their eggs in the Killing Them Softly basket for some retarded ass reason. (to note, even on only 350 screens Silver Linings Playbook has still outgrossed KTS by a decent bit.)

Maybe they're expecting some oscar noms and will play off that.

Osiris3657
12-21-12, 04:59 PM
Really good movie, It'll end up in my top 10 for the year for sure. The performances all the way around were amazing. David O Russell sure knows how to direct actors.

The scene in the living room where Pat's dad makes the parlay bet was mesmerizing. The acting is really magical in this film, Oscar nominations for Cooper, Lawrence, and DeNiro are all but guaranteed. A directing nod for Russell as well.

Loved this, will pick it up on blu.

Grade: A

wendersfan
12-27-12, 08:10 AM
I saw it yesterday. It was okay. The performances by Lawrence and DeNiro were excellent, but Cooper was not good and the script had huge problems.

gp1086
12-27-12, 09:51 AM
I saw it yesterday. It was okay. The performances by Lawrence and DeNiro were excellent, but Cooper was not good and the script had huge problems.
Care to elaborate?

bluetoast
12-27-12, 10:04 AM
Here's the script for reference (legally distributed by TWC for Oscar consideration):

http://twcguilds.com/assets/screenplay/silver-linings/screenplay.pdf

wendersfan
12-27-12, 01:47 PM
Care to elaborate?
Don't have time to write much right now, so I'll just say that the movie's use of the redemptive power of the love of a really hot younger woman as a major plot device was exceedingly poor and formulaic. I'd like to think Russell takes his audience a bit more seriously than that.

mdc3000
12-28-12, 09:28 PM
but Cooper was not good

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I thought that performance was downright oscar worthy.

brainee
12-28-12, 09:46 PM
Just saw this (finally expanded to my area). Very good. Great to see DeNiro in something good again (and shocked that Tucker didn't annoy the piss out of me like he usually does). My only quibble would be the movie's tendency to lapse into routine rom-com territory from time to time. As an Eagle's fan, I was very sympathetic to DeNiro's character ... good thing the story wasn't taking place this year, or it would've been a lot less happy.

so it goes
12-29-12, 10:31 PM
Saw it last night. Overall I really liked it, even though the ending was a bit lame. I wouldn't call it an enjoyable movie though. Too much mental illness in my life already, this was very uncomfortable to watch. Still, a really good movie, Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro were all excellent.

Dr. DVD
12-30-12, 04:41 PM
Saw it last night. Overall I really liked it, even though the ending was a bit lame. I wouldn't call it an enjoyable movie though. Too much mental illness in my life already, this was very uncomfortable to watch. Still, a really good movie, Cooper, Lawrence and DeNiro were all excellent.

I think this is the second time someone has said they couldn't enjoy this movie because it had similarities to their own life. Makes me wonder what kind of lives fellow forum members lead.

CaptainMarvel
12-30-12, 08:24 PM
What a great movie.

And Jesus almighty. Jennifer Lawrence... :drool:

madcougar
01-04-13, 09:31 AM
Don't have time to write much right now, so I'll just say that the movie's use of the redemptive power of the love of a really hot younger woman as a major plot device was exceedingly poor and formulaic. I'd like to think Russell takes his audience a bit more seriously than that.

Speaking as a man who's lived a story very simliar to this one (think less handsome, more boring, zero dancing), it didn't feel cliche to me! ;)

OldBoy
01-04-13, 11:04 AM
seeing this tomorrow. can't wait.

Supermallet
01-04-13, 01:56 PM
I loved this movie. It just narrowly missed my top ten for the year. It managed to avoid a lot of the cliches that I assumed it was going to embrace.

OldBoy
01-05-13, 01:39 PM
wow, this was damn good. just amazing performances throughout. made us feel so tense watching the scenes. some just gut-wrenching. truly extraordinary job by everyone involved and so glad i saw this. i was thinking best movie about mental illness since One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

truly portrays sick people trying to get well. just great!

bluetoast
01-05-13, 03:26 PM
And this really makes me want to see more of Chris Tucker. Small role here but great job from him.

OldBoy
01-05-13, 06:42 PM
And this really makes me want to see more of Chris Tucker. Small role here but great job from him.

yes. he was just as brilliant as the rest of the cast who hit it out of the park. such a character driven film. just superbly done.

madcougar
01-05-13, 11:55 PM

My girlfriend was convinced this was someone else named Chris Tucker assuming it was beyond him to give a legit performance. Seriously.

Throwing Copper
01-10-13, 04:10 PM
this is FINALLY expanding to 800-plus theaters this weekend.

Bill Geiger
01-12-13, 02:30 AM
Saw this on Thanksgiving and just watched it again this morning (screener). It truly gets better each time I watch it. Plus, I will say that it is pretty cool to have sat in the same booth prior to knowing BC and JL sat in the same booth at the diner they shot down in Havertown, PA.

riotinmyskull
01-12-13, 07:27 AM
well shit. i expected to like this going in but i absolutely loved it. just a wonderful movie with great performances all around.

RichC2
01-12-13, 11:32 PM
I liked it, it's about what you expect it to be.

The direction seemed a bit bi-polar though and went from fantastic (especially in the chaotic family scenes similar to the ones that Russell pulled off so well in The Fighter) to lazy between scenes.

fumanstan
01-13-13, 12:45 AM
I really enjoyed this, but I have to say a lot of things in the movie felt really predictable, especially the ending. I was expecting it to not go that route, so that was a bit disappointing. Still, the acting was great all around, and Cooper and Lawrence both were excellent shifting to their "crazy" states that it really made them fun to watch; great chemistry in all their scenes together.

And of course, watching Lawrence in work out or dancing gear most of the movie is a plus.

Coral
01-13-13, 12:07 PM
I have to say that the movie is very overrated.

There were some fine performances, and the bi-polar scenes were done well and there was some decent back-and-forth discussions between the two leads - but it was essentially an upgraded, yet still cliche'd and predictable romantic-comedy.

It started to fall apart half-way through with things like:
The stupid all-or-nothing bet that will push the family forward or ruin them - which they win of course with the help of Pat's dancing. And the dance competition. Really? Was this a teen movie? And they just happened to get a score that gives them the bare minimum required to win the bet (which was predictable). It was obvious Tiffany was going to write the letter pretending to be Pat's wife. It was also obvious Pat's mother was telling Tiffany about when he was going running. Pat's in love with his estranged wife, but eventually realizes he's really in love with Tiffany - how many times has this switcharoo happened in a romantic comedy? It ends with everyone being happy and Pat's with Tiffany now (fell in love pretty quickly it seems) - so I guess love was all he needed, right? All problems go away? There's the stupid cop who keeps showing up at the house - is he the only cop on duty? Of course we see him at the dance competition. Ugh.

VERY overrated in my opinion. VERY.

mdc3000
01-14-13, 09:31 AM
He was the cop assigned to Pat's case - kind of like a parole officer. That is why he shows up a few times at their house and at the end, it is obvious that Nikki gets a police escort to the event, because of the restraining order, which she is breaking of her own free will. Officer Keogh is there just to ensure nothing crazy happens. Far fetched? Maybe. Totally implausible? No.

I think most of the people who love this movie (myself included) acknowledge that it fits in the rom-com cliches but everything around them (dialogue, performance, style) raises it to a level of exception.

Noonan
01-14-13, 10:08 AM
I think most of the people who love this movie (myself included) acknowledge that it fits in the rom-com cliches but everything around them (dialogue, performance, style) raises it to a level of exception.
I agree. There was nothing groundbreaking about the story but the performances and dialogue helped make this one a winner. I had a smile through most of the movie.

Coral
01-14-13, 10:59 AM
He was the cop assigned to Pat's case - kind of like a parole officer. That is why he shows up a few times at their house and at the end, it is obvious that Nikki gets a police escort to the event, because of the restraining order, which she is breaking of her own free will. Officer Keogh is there just to ensure nothing crazy happens. Far fetched? Maybe. Totally implausible? No.

ok, I can let that go then.

I guess I'm not willing to overlook that sort of stuff - it's just too big a part of a film to dismiss for me.

bluetoast
01-14-13, 11:32 AM
You thought it was obvious that the Mom was the one who told her where to ambush him during his runs? How did you know this piece of information before it was revealed? And why the mom, specifically?

Noonan
01-14-13, 11:34 AM
That part was not something I considered before they revealed it. The letter was more obvious. My question about that was why would she agree to do it from the beginning? She didn't seem to care much about Pat until after a few run run-ins.

Apple Gooncha
01-20-13, 12:41 AM
I just left the theater about 30 minutes ago, so, I'm still trying to gather my thoughts. The short version is that I liked it and thought Cooper and Lawrence were both great.

What I can tell you, however, is that the 3 middle aged women behind me did not enjoy it, as one of them loudly proclaimed about 30 minutes in "This sucks", they continuously talked throughout (I even missed some dialog in a couple of scenes because of them), one of them kept yawning loudly, and then the second the credits came up one of them proclaimed "This was just a bad movie." I can't thank them enough for letting me know what they thought every minute of the movie.

onebyone
01-20-13, 12:46 PM
I have been waiting seemingly forever to see this movie, as it stubbornly refused to open close to me. Finally, I got to see it and it was totally worth the wait. I really loved it.

The story itself may not have been groundbreaking, but the script was smart, and the performances really sold it. The whole cast really nailed it. They broke and then won over my heart. I didn't think Cooper had it in him but that was something special.

MoviePage
01-20-13, 04:22 PM
Saw it today. Loved it despite the cliches and predictability. Jennifer Lawrence is a force to be reckoned with, and I'm totally on board with her winning the Oscar.

golden_rod
01-21-13, 08:53 PM
I really liked it, but the scene with Lawrence telling De Niro about all of the Eagles wins when she & Pat were together was atrocious. She might as well have worn a shirt that read "I am an ACTOR!"

kefrank
01-22-13, 09:22 AM
I really liked it, but the scene with Lawrence telling De Niro about all of the Eagles wins when she & Pat were together was atrocious. She might as well have worn a shirt that read "I am an ACTOR!"
Agreed. I liked the movie overall, but that scene is where it ran slightly afoul for me. It just stacked too many contrivances together at one time.

d2cheer
01-28-13, 08:41 AM
Finally caught this yesterday. I enjoyed it way more that I thought would have and this probably sweeps the acting categories at the Oscars. Argo still wins best picture however if this wins I will not be suprised.

The Black
01-28-13, 08:56 AM
Enjoyed it. The cheesy dance and result scenes were horrible, but I enjoyed the rest.

Why So Blu?
01-28-13, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed it, but thought Cooper's character was an asshole. Yeah, he's got mental illness, AND he's a dickhead. At least Lawrence was likable even though she also had mental illness. She wasn't a fucking bitch.

It's those contrivances that actually balanced it out for me, because I did not root for Cooper's character at all.

I think Robert De Niro turned in a great performance, too. Loved when he went gangster on the neighbor kid and threatened to "crack the phone over his fucking head" if he kept videotaping. haha

Dr. DVD
01-28-13, 10:34 AM
Jennifer Lawrence won the SAG award last night (and I am sure there will soon be a gif of her dress slipping and almost showing he nether-regions). I wonder if this makes her the front-runner for the Oscar or perhaps neck and neck with Chastain at this point?

Trevor
02-12-13, 09:13 PM
Walked into the wrong theater the other day and saw this. Almost left when it started, as I remembered it looking generic and having Bradley Cooper in it, but we were blocked in the middle of an aisle in a overflowing theater so we stayed.

I freaking loved it. Cooper and Lawrence were Oscar worthy imo, Deniro wasn't as awful as he can be lately, and even Tucker was good. Enjoyed it much more than Les Mis that we also saw that evening.

bluetoast
02-12-13, 09:28 PM
So I want to reflect on this a bit. Saw this in mid November before any buzz, and knew very little going into it. I really liked it, loved the performances, but at the same time I saw it as "just" another movie, which is why earlier in this thread I didn't even consider that Bradley Cooper would have a shot at Oscar contention. But DeNiro really surprised me, Tucker too. I'm wondering if I need to fix my "adjustments" because I thought if this were released in spring or summer, it would have been just another movie. Is it the campaigning that causes the reaction, the release time, I'm wondering about how the fuel starts, since this is interesting.

RichC2
02-12-13, 09:46 PM
I was impressed by Cooper in the flick so it didn't surprise me. He yells very well.

The movie covers potent territory but turns way too audience pleaser by the time it ends.

Why So Blu?
02-12-13, 09:55 PM
I actually thought Cooper was the weakest link.

Osiris3657
02-13-13, 06:52 AM
Walked into the wrong theater the other day and saw this. Almost left when it started, as I remembered it looking generic and having Bradley Cooper in it, but we were blocked in the middle of an aisle in a overflowing theater so we stayed.

I don't get this thinking at all. Who cares if you're in the middle of an aisle? Go to the movie you came to see.
I myself couldn't fathom doing this unless I were 1)dumb or 2)too fat and lazy to walk to the right theater

RichC2
02-13-13, 07:54 AM
I don't get this thinking at all. Who cares if you're in the middle of an aisle? Go to the movie you came to see.
I myself couldn't fathom doing this unless I were 1)dumb or 2)too fat and lazy to walk to the right theater

Wow, you're so cool!

foofighters7
02-13-13, 09:20 AM

Certainly no offense to Trevor at all but I tend to agree with Osiris on this somewhat.

I couldn't possibly fathom entering the wrong theater and staying for a movie I didn't go to see. Seems like crazy talk to me but whatever.

d2cheer
02-13-13, 09:27 AM
He probably snuck into the one they wanted to see next to make up for it. -wink-

Osiris3657
02-13-13, 10:00 AM
Wow, you're so cool!

Hit alittle too close to home eh?

Crocker Jarmen
02-13-13, 10:15 AM
He said they saw Les Miserable afterwards. Some people have the stamina and interest to do double features, so I guess they were planning on seeing a second movie after Les Miserable anyway, so it wasn't a big deal to see this one first.

I'm also guessing that they only realized they were in the wrong theater when the SLP started playing, meaning they'd sat through twenty to thirty minutes of commericals and previews, and figured they've probably missed the beginning of Les Miserable so they might as well stay put.

TomOpus
02-13-13, 10:24 AM
I'm also guessing that they only realized they were in the wrong theater when the SLP started playing, meaning they'd sat through twenty to thirty minutes of commericals and previews, and figured they've probably missed the beginning of Les Miserable so they might as well stay put.

They went to see Les Miz and it being an "overflowing" theater should've clued them in that it was the wrong theater :D

RichC2
02-13-13, 10:30 AM
Hit alittle too close to home eh?

Yep. I've never done it but I am fat, dumb and lazy.

jfoobar
02-13-13, 01:12 PM
Saw an advanced screening last night. My earlier comment that it would possibly be "predictable with some originality and style" ended up being accurate. I would say that the writing loses its way a bit at the end, but the movie delivers a lot of laughs along the way and the performances are quite good. Definitely a solid date movie.

So here were my comments from 11/16 after seeing an advanced screening. I never would have even considered the possibility that SLP would actually get a bunch of Oscar nominations at the time, even within acting categories.

There is no way in hell this movie should have even gotten a Best Picture nomination. I would even revise my "solid date movie" comment to a "substantially above-average date movie", but it still has far too many major glaring flaws for the entire package to receive much in the way of accolades.

I would make the same argument about Lincoln for that matter (minus the "date movie" part, obviously).

Jules Winfield
02-13-13, 01:20 PM
I would make the same argument about Lincoln for that matter (minus the "date movie" part, obviously).

Lincoln is a great date movie. The only Best Picture nominated movie that would be better is Amour.

bluetoast
02-13-13, 01:27 PM
So here were my comments from 11/16 after seeing an advanced screening. I never would have even considered the possibility that SLP would actually get a bunch of Oscar nominations at the time, even within acting categories.

Exactly the same way I felt having seen it on 11/15. It's funny thinking about it before and after the hype.

RichC2
02-13-13, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of elements in it that build up to it being a great movie.

Unfortunately they forced it to fit a contrived plotline.

It's a good movie but I agree I don't get all the acclaim outside of the acting.

jfoobar
02-13-13, 03:23 PM
Lincoln is a great date movie. The only Best Picture nominated movie that would be better is Amour.

Well, I did get laid after seeing Lincoln, but I never considered that the movie had anything to do with it.

jfoobar
02-13-13, 03:35 PM
There are a lot of elements in it that build up to it being a great movie.

Unfortunately they forced it to fit a contrived plotline.

It's a good movie but I agree I don't get all the acclaim outside of the acting.

Yes. Just about anyone is going to know just from the trailer how it was going to end. Even the dancing together for the big contest thing was an excusable construct to achieve the predictable conclusion. It is, some dramatic moments aside, still a rom-com.

The two biggest bones I would pick with movie (from my hazy recollection) were:

1. The calmness in which Pat accepts the revelation that Tiffany wrote the letter was totally out of character for him based on his behavior up until that moment. He couldn't even get into a conversation about his wife (ex-wife?) up to that point without completely losing self control. They could have still used that plot point, but it should have been fleshed out. Pat should have battled with the revelation a bit at the very least.

2. The ending. The movie had some decent originality and energy up to that point, and then they romantic moment finally comes and it looks like something that was pulled out of hundreds of lesser rom-coms that have come before it, complete with the spinning camera nonsense for the first kiss.

Do things like this make SLP bad? No, not at all. But it should, in a just world, disqualify it from a Best Picture nomination at least, especially since it is from a genre that usually doesn't (rightfully) even get very many nominations in the first place.

Trevor
02-13-13, 03:41 PM
I'm only two of those three criticisms thank you very much!

I agree that in normal circumstances I would never have fathomed staying in the wrong theater. But in this unique situation it wasn't worth disrupting everyone and missing the beginning of our intended choice. Tickets were all free, we were set on seeing two, and besides her first choice of Les Mis, every other choice was both new to us and equally acceptable. So while I was expecting Zero Dark Thirty, it wasn't a huge deal that it was something else. So close to what Crocker theorized.

And in our defense, it was dark and none of the theaters were marked with the film. Should have closely examined the tickets I guess.

Groucho
02-13-13, 05:04 PM
Well, I did get laid after seeing Lincoln, but I never considered that the movie had anything to do with it.Depends...did she ask you to "shoot me in the face"?

Jules Winfield
02-13-13, 06:22 PM
I'm only two of those three criticisms thank you very much!

Can't tell which two you are. A lazy man would have not responded but a dumb man would have worded the response very stupidly. A fat man would've just ate Osiris. I'm so confused!

Jules Winfield
02-13-13, 06:24 PM
Depends...did she ask you to "shoot me in the face"?

Also, did you do it in a balcony and did foreplay involve a roll of pennies?