Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best place(s) to buy other regions, 1, 2,3 etc... DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best place(s) to buy other regions, 1, 2,3 etc... DVD's

Am purchasing a region free dvd player as I just see more and more titles that are Anamorphic,where their USA counterparts are not!, and more special features than their USA counterparts!. Any suggestions on where to go to buy non -region 0 & region 1 dvd's??? Any suggestion on some of the better titles Y'all have gotten that are from other regions??? Any advice,help would be greatly appreciated-
Thanks-
Old 06-26-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Best place(s) to buy other regions, 1, 2,3 etc... DVD's

You got a Chinatown near you? I'm in New York, so that's where I go. Although there are only two stores left I can go to.

There are also mail-order sources like Yes-Asia, Play-Asia, and CDJapan.

Of course, I'm talking about sources of Asian films. The rest of the world? Can't help ya.
Old 06-26-12, 05:05 PM

For shopping, Amazon operates web sites in Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, and (hadn't noticed it before) China. Given their size, they are likely to carry the titles you want, at a competitive price, will (likely) ship it to you, and at a competitive price. They also have a familiar user interface and excellent, English-speaking, customer service. But just as in the US, they are certainly not the only name in online retail. If the title you want is out-of-print, or from somewhere else...that's when it gets interesting. You might look for an EBay site in that country.

You can use sites like http://www.dvdcompare.net to see exactly what is available and where.

As for actual titles, that's a broad question. Post which genres most interest you. Hope that helps.

Last edited by thetao; 06-26-12 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thetao
For shopping, Amazon operates web sites in Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, and (hadn't noticed it before) China. Given their size, they are likely to carry the titles you want, at a competitive price, will (likely) ship it to you, and at a competitive price. They also have a familiar user interface and excellent, English-speaking, customer service. But just as in the US, they are certainly not the only name in online retail. If the title you want is out-of-print, or from somewhere else...that's when it gets interesting. You might look for an EBay site in that country.

You can use sites like http://www.dvdcompare.net to see exactly what is available and where.

As for actual titles, that's a broad question. Post which genres most interest you. Hope that helps.
Many Thanks...Definately a big help and seems like a great place to start getting other region dvd's. Appreciate the info-
Old 06-26-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

hmv.co.jp is a good English friendly Japanese site, Japanese prices though. There's also buyoyo.com and dddhouse.com for Chinese discs. I've used devoteddvd.com, fishpond.com.au, umbrellaent.com.au and madman.com.au for R4 discs.
Old 06-26-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to 2002. A region free DVD player is a wonderful purchase and a great way to get titles and special features unavailable in the US.

Zavvi.com in the UK is slow on shipping things out, but their prices are quite good and every order is 99p shipping worldwide.
Old 06-27-12, 05:46 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info everyone. Any really good other region DVD's that blow away their USA counterparts in terms of being Anamorphic and special editions. I just bought the 3 disc deluxe edition of Picnic at Hanging Rock because I was not stisfied with the Criterion edition. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated-
Old 06-27-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always go with amazon. Sometimes they arn't the cheapest option around but the customer service is excellent. If you have a problem and need to return the item they are the only international shipper that will allow you (at least not without putting up a hell of a fight), and you'll usually get your orders within 10 days (maybe a little longer from Asia) vs up to a month.