DVD Talk
HARA-KIRI: DEATH OF A SAMURAI (2012) (dir. Takashi Miike) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : HARA-KIRI: DEATH OF A SAMURAI (2012) (dir. Takashi Miike)

riotinmyskull
06-26-12, 08:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R-sp6Xw0jJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An tale of revenge, honor and disgrace, centering on a poverty-stricken samurai who discovers the fate of his ronin son-in-law, setting in motion a tense showdown of vengeance against the house of a feudal lord.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1728196/

inri222
06-26-12, 08:39 AM
Another remake. The original by Masaki Kobayashi is a masterpiece. Lets see what Miike does with this.

Ky-Fi
06-26-12, 09:01 AM
Another remake. The original by Masaki Kobayashi is a masterpiece. Lets see what Miike does with this.

Could be interesting, but yes, I would bet that it won't hold a candle to the amazing original.

Maxflier
06-26-12, 10:28 AM
Love the original. Can't wait to check this out.

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 10:39 AM
Never saw the original. Always wanted to. Saw this remake coming and was going to make a thread on it but..from my phone? No way.

Really need to see the original.

Also..it should be noted that this is a 3D film. It was also the first 3D film to be in Competition at Cannes. I've no idea if we'll get the 3D here though. Also unsure what he filmed on.

Ky-Fi
06-26-12, 11:14 AM
Never saw the original. Always wanted to. Saw this remake coming and was going to make a thread on it but..from my phone? No way.

Criterion bluray looks absolutely fantastic.

Ash Ketchum
06-26-12, 11:16 AM

Also..it should be noted that this is a 3D film. It was also the first 3D film to be in Competition at Cannes. I've no idea if we'll get the 3D here though. Also unsure what he filmed on.

I've seen the original on the big screen a couple of times. Magnificent. One of the best non-Kurosawa samurai films ever. I even place it above SWORD OF DOOM.

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 11:28 AM

Yeah, if it wasn't for CC I probably wouldn't know of a lot films. Thankfully Seven Samurai led me more into their gorgeous collection. The image quality is outstanding for the BD by teh look of it. The bit rate is also very high for the most part.

I've seen the original on the big screen a couple of times. Magnificent. One of the best non-Kurosawa samurai films ever. I even place it above SWORD OF DOOM.

Tatsuya Nakadai, great great actor. Those damn eyes.

so from the remake's trailer....what can be said is different from the original?

Mondo Kane
06-26-12, 11:37 AM

I don't have the Blu, but this DVD set has my most favorite Criterion booklet.

Tatsuya Nakadai, great great actor. Those damn eyes.

Since he's supposed to be playing a much older character, his eyes have never been more radiant than here.

The Bus
06-26-12, 03:53 PM
Missed my chance to see this at the Sydney Film Festival, but it will be playing sometime in the next few months here, I believe.

A friend of mine says there's one gruesome death that is not necessarily graphic but has the most effective sound design/sound editing of any movie death he's ever seen.

Dr Mabuse
06-26-12, 04:12 PM
It's a good film, I would say I found it very good. Miike handles the material faithfully and well.

Yes the one scene Bus mentions is meant to have the impact it does. It should have it. But be clear, this is not one of the many silly films Miike is known for with blood and guts and whatnot. There isn't much blood or gore at all. This is not Kobayashi's film with a dash of 'Ichi the Killer' thrown in. With '13 Assassins' and now this, Miike is maturing in his directing and choosing classic chanbara and jidaigeki films to bring to modern audiences. He has treated both with respect and made fine films in both cases.

Of course Kobayashi was a master, and his film is still the definitive version.

cungar
06-26-12, 04:19 PM

It's also on Hulu Criterion Streaming

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 04:23 PM
Just finished seeing Kobayashi's original, it was on Hulu. Damn. That's a really serious and tense film. Really good film. Kind of long, not in a bad way. I'm very sleepy right now it was hard for me to stay up, hot weather and still tired from work. Either way...I was pretty engrossed by the story. Hope to get it on BD some day.

Here's the thing I've noticed of Miike. There are 2 types of Miike. There is serious Miike and then there's crazy Miike.

I tend to like serous Miike more.

sharkstank
06-27-12, 06:12 AM
Can't wait to check this out, loved 13 Assassins (second best movie of 2011 to me).

Giles
07-11-12, 11:40 PM

supposedly this is getting released stateside on July 20th via TribecaFilm

I don't know if this answers your question, but Miike filmed this Red One cameras

Why So Blu?
07-12-12, 12:47 AM
Just finished seeing Kobayashi's original, it was on Hulu. Damn. That's a really serious and tense film. Really good film. Kind of long, not in a bad way. I'm very sleepy right now it was hard for me to stay up, hot weather and still tired from work. Either way...I was pretty engrossed by the story. Hope to get it on BD some day.

Here's the thing I've noticed of Miike. There are 2 types of Miike. There is serious Miike and then there's crazy Miike.

I tend to like serous Miike more.

Some day? It's under $20 at B&N on Blu-ray.

B5Erik
07-12-12, 08:26 AM
The original is a great movie, but, man, is it unhappy and unpleasant. It's a pretty grim story. This looks much the same.

DaveyJoe
07-12-12, 11:45 AM
I'm really torn on this. Hara-Kiri is one of my favorite films of all time. Takashi Miike is one of my favorite working directors, and I try to see as many of his films as possible. I'm sure he'll make a good film, but I just don't see it living up to the original. It all seems like a pointless exercise to me.

cungar
07-12-12, 12:23 PM
The original is a great movie, but, man, is it unhappy and unpleasant. It's a pretty grim story. This looks much the same.

Actually looks identical

Dr Mabuse
07-12-12, 03:09 PM
Pretty much, not a carbon copy, but it's the same story.

Solid Snake
07-20-12, 06:29 PM
such a beautiful visual

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tcj4XwDx2O8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>