DVD Talk
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 04:21 PM
via Bleeding Cool:

It’s rumoured there will be a film. It’s rumoured there will be a Brian Bendis comic book after Avengers Vs X-Men.

Either way, Marvel Comics have just filed eleven new trademark applications for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY covering everything from jewelery to beverages to furniture to cosmetics. The applications cover International Classes 3, 14, 16, 20, 24, 29, 30, 32, 35, 41, 42, and also include computer games, fabrics, foods, paper goods, entertainment and internet services, and even retail store services.

Basically, everything the galaxy, Marvel want to be the guardians of. But then again, haven’t they always?

Now....we've known Feige digs the idea of GotG film (based off the 2008 team). But this sounds like they're kind of getting serious on it. Anyway..if they do go ahead w/ it. We'd need a thread, so here it is.

GotG are a team of interstellar heroes that will be proactive in protecting the galaxy, rather than reacting to crises as they happen.

http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/guard001.jpg

All levels of popularity for this property hit the most stable and current incarnation of the group which is pretty badass too. And, yes. There's a fucking raccoon that shoots guns (and smokes cigars). Who's also OCD and in voiced incarnations has a cockney accent (who kind of sounds like Ray Winstone...and it'd be awesome if he was cast as that)

mhg83
06-25-12, 06:31 PM
The retarded version of Avengers?

devilshalo
06-25-12, 07:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the 2008 team and had a few issues of the 90's title run. Are they vastly different teams?

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 08:02 PM

That'd be these guys:

http://clzimages.com/comic/large/cc/cc_99957_0_WestCoastAvengersVol246Franchi.jpg

I'm not familiar with the 2008 team and had a few issues of the 90's title run. Are they vastly different teams?

Yeah, the older team are actually a whole different team from the future. The more current team is well...the current team of our time. the current team has had solid writing on the stories. Also they had a huge event w/ Thanos, that essentially formed the team somewhat. Was a big deal. Pretty epic and very well presented. They were also presented in the great Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (that will be cancelled cuz Disney sucks) in one episode most recently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vLMq7lRqgqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here's a taste of Rocket from the video game, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ay1YAgp68qQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tarantino
06-25-12, 10:06 PM
Rocket Racoon?

antspawn
06-25-12, 10:17 PM
http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/guard001.jpg

The bottom right character...that is Kratos from God of War?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
06-25-12, 10:24 PM
The bottom right character...that is Kratos from God of War?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drax_the_Destroyer

Goldberg74
06-25-12, 10:28 PM
I have the first 30 or so issues of the 1990 series...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/GOTG.jpg

I liked that team... but this team looks... looks... more modern. ;)

EdTheRipper
06-25-12, 11:56 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/GOTG.jpg

I liked that series back in the day. New team looks interesting though.

resinrats
06-26-12, 12:38 AM
Really? People want to see a talking racoon? Its like hoping Snarf will be a major character in a live action Thundercats movie. Hopefully Marvel is smart and leaves Rocket Racoon out. Maybe a tiny cameo if anything.

PhantomStranger
06-26-12, 12:50 AM

I liked the original Guardians much better than the new ones who will be the stars of this movie. I always thought of Guardians of the Galaxy as Marvel's poor attempt to copy the Legion of Superheroes. I suspect this movie will end up way more sci-fi than comic book fantasy.

davidh777
06-26-12, 01:45 AM
:wave: Also a fan of the original Guardians. I always liked the idea of a resistance force fighting the occupiers in a sci-fi setting.

http://cyberspacecomics.com/marvel-two-in-one/mtio-005-guardians.jpg

Ky-Fi
06-26-12, 08:35 AM
I'm vaguely familiar with some of these characters---I really enjoyed Marvel's Annihilation event a few years ago. I like Marvel's cosmic characters.

superdeluxe
06-26-12, 09:23 AM

-screwy-

I beat they tease/cameo gotg in avengers 2

superdeluxe
06-26-12, 09:24 AM
Oh and no groot, no care

superdeluxe
06-26-12, 09:30 AM
Really? People want to see a talking racoon? Its like hoping Snarf will be a major character in a live action Thundercats movie. Hopefully Marvel is smart and leaves Rocket Racoon out. Maybe a tiny cameo if anything.

I think they can pull it off, they just can't try to be cute with the raccoon, make him a bad ass voiced by ray Winstone or Jason statham.

If you are going to have this movie, you have to have rocket raccoon, he is essentially a 'leader'

Pizza
06-26-12, 09:31 AM
After watching the game clip featuring that annoying raccoon, I have no desire to see this.

superdeluxe
06-26-12, 09:56 AM
After watching the game clip featuring that annoying raccoon, I have no desire to see this.

:lol:

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 12:08 PM
In the comics, Thanos was killed by Drax (the green guy w/ tattoos...who was also created for the sole purpose of killing Thanos too) in a GotG related tale. Granted...death of villains don't last long so...you never know if they use Thanos for some association w/ GotG.

Preterite
06-26-12, 12:32 PM
Whereas that version of the team looks... very 90's. :lol:

:wave: Also a fan of the original Guardians. I always liked the idea of a resistance force fighting the occupiers in a sci-fi setting.
Yeah, my kid brother and I loved the original GotG when we were kids. The recent series was really good, though, and brought back a lot of old space/cosmic characters, including Star-Lord, Vance Astro, and former Micronaut Bug.

james2025a
06-26-12, 12:52 PM
Yeah i see the Drax - Thanos connection being used in Avengers 2. Possibly have cameos or something along those lines in Thor 2 / Captain America 2 / Iron Man 3 (Doubtful at this state for this one though i guess), then maybe more of an introduction in Avengers 2.

I would love to see Adam Warlock being part of this team as well as Gladiator. They were both pretty cool characters from the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe.

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 12:54 PM
Gladiator is X-Men. So Fox has them.

devilshalo
06-26-12, 01:53 PM
Gladiator is X-Men. So Fox has them.

I wonder if Fox could bring in the Shi'ar to counter the Chitauri in the Avengers universe. Not that Lilandra and Death Bird are big villains, but it could open up the better version of the Dark Phoenix saga and introduce the Imperial Guard to run opposite a GotG movie. I'm sure some Fox executive is thinking about it.

Though I'd rather see the introduction of Vindicator and Alpha Flight since they did the Weapon X story. Although, if they are going with the rumored Days of Future Past story, I guess there could be the possibility of seeing members of Excalibur and X-Force.

Quite scary, isn't it, to know that Fox may possibly have the rights to so many of the mutants' story lines?

Double_Oh_7
06-26-12, 02:06 PM
Damn... with Marvel's other big properties still at other studios, they now have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for their own movies.

davidh777
06-26-12, 02:29 PM
Yeah, my kid brother and I loved the original GotG when we were kids. The recent series was really good, though, and brought back a lot of old space/cosmic characters, including Star-Lord, Vance Astro, and former Micronaut Bug.

I was a Star Lord fan and read the Claremont-Byrne story many times. I only recently found another story in the Marvel Firsts TPB. :up:

Solid Snake
06-26-12, 03:34 PM
I wonder if Fox could bring in the Shi'ar to counter the Chitauri in the Avengers universe. Not that Lilandra and Death Bird are big villains, but it could open up the better version of the Dark Phoenix saga and introduce the Imperial Guard to run opposite a GotG movie. I'm sure some Fox executive is thinking about it.

Though I'd rather see the introduction of Vindicator and Alpha Flight since they did the Weapon X story. Although, if they are going with the rumored Days of Future Past story, I guess there could be the possibility of seeing members of Excalibur and X-Force.

Quite scary, isn't it, to know that Fox may possibly have the rights to so many of the mutants' story lines?

Yes. Fox is very scary w/ the X-Men property.

Damn... with Marvel's other big properties still at other studios, they now have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for their own movies.

Bottom of the barrel for them would be something else aside from GotG.

Meglos
06-26-12, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing nobody here would be interested in seeing Squirrel Girl in an Avengers sequel?

:tumbleweed:

Tarantino
06-26-12, 04:10 PM
On paper, this movie is a terrible idea. No one has an emotional connection to these characters.

Pizza
06-26-12, 04:40 PM
Sure looks like it.
I think the raccoon should be voiced by Adam West. I would at least smile at that.

dhmac
06-26-12, 09:50 PM
Rocket Racoon?
A character based on the Beatles song "Rocky Raccoon" presumable.

gmanca
06-27-12, 03:38 AM
I wonder if this really is the next movie as I don't think the next Avengers film will deal with Thanos.

I don't doubt that they will use the Guardians of the Galaxy as a way to show the cosmic side of the MCU, but I would think with more buzz around Ant-Man, they are building to a technologically-oriented Avengers 2.

atxbomber
06-27-12, 05:14 AM
On paper, this movie is a terrible idea. No one has an emotional connection to these characters.

Speak for yourself.

kgrogers1979
06-27-12, 07:24 AM
I'm guessing nobody here would be interested in seeing Squirrel Girl in an Avengers sequel?

Hell yeah!

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9962/squirrelgirlvsthanos.jpg

Preterite
06-27-12, 02:28 PM
Bottom of the barrel for them would be something else aside from GotG.
Yeah, like the Human Fly.

Solid Snake
06-27-12, 02:52 PM
Yeah, like the Human Fly.

Lol. i didn't know you posted this. Now it makes my post in Human Fly's thread funnier.

Tarantino
06-27-12, 11:03 PM
Speak for yourself.

Sorry, I'm sure there are a ton of people excited to finally see a laser shooting raccoon on screen.

Preterite
06-27-12, 11:34 PM
Sorry, I'm sure there are a ton of people excited to finally see a laser shooting raccoon on screen.
It's one of those things people never knew they wanted until they find out it exists. "A Cockney raccoon that shoots lasers? Fuck. Yeah."

davidh777
06-28-12, 12:00 AM

And everyone going into Iron Man was emotionally invested in him already?

Tarantino
06-28-12, 12:42 AM

I would venture a guess that a ton of people knew who Iron Man was before he was in a movie.

Mike86
06-28-12, 01:04 AM
Iron Man at least seemed pretty marketable to a wide audience whether he was well known or not. This I have to think will have really limited appeal. The comic fans who know who they are and that seems like about it. Just because Marvel has characters and their movies are hot right now doesn't mean they have to make every oddball character/team into a movie.

superdeluxe
06-28-12, 03:16 AM
Tie in GOTG as a cameo in Avengers 2...or do a Hulk movie, with GOTG with some screen time, build brand awareness with the public, and I think you got a decent opener here.

Hell even Ghost Rider got a decent opening, and no one can say that people really had a connection to that character.

davidh777
06-28-12, 03:28 AM
I would venture a guess that a ton of people knew who Iron Man was before he was in a movie.

I agree a lot more people knew Iron Man than will know Guardians of the Galaxy, but I bet it was still restricted to nerds.

kgrogers1979
06-28-12, 08:39 AM

Yes, and I also want to see Dex-Starr in Green Lantern 2. Rage cat is the most badass Red Lantern of them all.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8530/dexstarr.jpg

Solid Snake
06-28-12, 03:37 PM
It's official. Marvel's announced that Guardians of the Galaxy is actually happening. Various sources around that..but also this:
- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con
- Thanos is in it.
- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.
- ”THE SCRIPT IS INCREDIBLE”

now..aside from the 1st and 4th (cuz well...I'll believe it when I see and hear more) listing. I'm pretty damn excited.

Deftones
06-28-12, 03:48 PM
jesus, the marvel movie universe is only getting bigger and better. :up:

Solid Snake
06-28-12, 04:00 PM
yeah, I'm excited. Aside from THE HUMAN FLY. I'm fucking excited. I really want to see what they do w/ GotG. Hell...that's harder than The Avengers just based off of the concept. Got to sell it on the first try. Please have Groot be Groot (w/ him saying "I am Groot" for everything..but actually be saying many things)..and Rocket Raccoon be a badass. I'm totally down w/ Ray Winstone voicing him..or get the voice actor they have for him now..but Winstone would rock it. Get it..rock it..Rocket Raccoon? :bdance:

Why So Blu?
06-28-12, 04:17 PM
Awesome, it's a completely obscure team of heroes that I've never heard of and I love comics. They better get their ace marketing on this one, because I smell another John Carter debacle.

Solid Snake
06-28-12, 04:20 PM
Awesome, it's a completely obscure team of heroes that I've never heard of and I love comics. They better get their ace marketing on this one, because I smell another John Carter debacle.

Andrew Stanton is busy w/ something else, right?

Also Nova's name has been thrown around. Which would make sense w/ his exposure in the past 4 years.

superdeluxe
06-28-12, 11:12 PM
Hollywood Reporter confirms the above report, also citing the strength of Nicole Perlman's GOTG script as a big reason why it's moving forward ahead of other Marvel movies in development: "She also has written two drafts of Guardians that are highly regarded. Adding to the heat surrounding Guardians is the fact that Marvel is currently on the hunt for a director. Those in the know say the project is in line with Avengers in tone in the sense there is plenty of comedic elements on display."

superdeluxe
06-28-12, 11:16 PM
Gotg going to be be revealed at comic con,

Hokeyboy
06-28-12, 11:47 PM
A chick wrote this? FAIL. #preemptiveinternetfanboyism

Solid Snake
06-29-12, 01:58 PM
Finding out more about Nicole Perlman, seems like she's pretty damn talented. Supposedly she also wrote a "great" Black Widow spin off script too.

Solid Snake
07-03-12, 06:14 PM
We have a supposed date now for GotG, BOM has it at: August 1st, 2014

It's known as MARVEL UNTITLED and WAS at May 16th, 2014. So Cap 2 opens that April. GotG closes the summer? Interesting move. Slightly worried, in my memory I don't see many big movies open up in month...though I may very well be wrong. And undoubtedly this will be a big budget type film...it'd have to just based off the source material. What's the competition that we know of in that summer?

Why So Blu?
07-03-12, 06:58 PM
We have a supposed date now for GotG, BOM has it at: August 1st, 2014

It's known as MARVEL UNTITLED and WAS at May 16th, 2014. So Cap 2 opens that April. GotG closes the summer? Interesting move. Slightly worried, in my memory I don't see many big movies open up in month...though I may very well be wrong. And undoubtedly this will be a big budget type film...it'd have to just based off the source material. What's the competition that we know of in that summer?

2014? Sure it's not 2013 for Capn 2?

Solid Snake
07-03-12, 07:02 PM
IM3 and Thor 2 are 2013.

Cap 2 is 2014, along w/ GotG.

And The Avengers 2 is 2015.

Why So Blu?
07-03-12, 07:04 PM
IM3 and Thor 2 are 2013.

Cap 2 is 2014, along w/ GotG.

And The Avengers is 2015.

Gotcha.

PenguinJoe
07-03-12, 07:12 PM

It's DISNEY now that talking raccoon is their money maker. Imagine all the little kids that will want that talking raccoon's plush toy, action figure, t-shirt, coloring book. It has to be light in tone too. Remember Disney doesn't care about the story they just see cute characters.

TGM
07-03-12, 07:17 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaand Marvel's movie success comes to a screeching halt.

Solid Snake
07-03-12, 07:32 PM
I don't see that. This has a lot of potential.

An assorted amount of unknown characters involved in what may be a very epic kind of space action/adventure film? With character designs being very unique, Marvel's casting for these things have been fucking great, and well....they can sell the shit out of their brand in a way that DC coudn't w/ someone like GL. Batman and Supes are characters that kind of sell themselves. GL could barely surpass it's budget, not to mention it's own qualitative failures.

Also...I'm assuming they've the greatest amount of fucking care to make this thing work, they've got more at stake than WB for example.

jrsl76
07-03-12, 07:36 PM
Wow, they're digging deep now, aren't they. I was a lifelong comic reader and not even I read this.

My Other Self
07-03-12, 07:46 PM
Wow, they're digging deep now, aren't they. I was a lifelong comic reader and not even I read this.Same here.

chente
07-04-12, 02:53 AM
Hey! Human Fly was my favorite when I was 9 years old. I just reread all the comics for nostalgia's sake. Boy they are bad.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-04-12, 09:33 AM
^Human Fly isn't a Marvel Studios film. Marvel doesn't own the character.

Meglos
07-05-12, 09:25 AM
Fingers crossed for a Rom:Spaceknight flick.

Michael Corvin
07-05-12, 10:21 AM
Marvel's casting for these things have been fucking great, and well....they can sell the shit out of their brand in a way that DC coudn't w/ someone like GL. Batman and Supes are characters that kind of sell themselves. GL could barely surpass it's budget, not to mention it's own qualitative failures.

Rose colored glasses? They've tried twice to make the Hulk a superhero event movie and failed twice. Hulk is far more marketable than GL and they still failed, again...twice.

davidh777
07-05-12, 11:12 AM
Fingers crossed for a Rom:Spaceknight flick.

Well, they were talking about a JJ Abrams Micronauts movie a little while back so you never know. :)

I always liked the comics and hate that they can't be released due to rights issues. :(

TGM
07-05-12, 11:40 AM
Rose colored glasses? They've tried twice to make the Hulk a superhero event movie and failed twice. Hulk is far more marketable than GL and they still failed, again...twice.

the second Hulk movie was great, and a decent hit. It suffered because Ang Lee is a douche and ruined it for everyone.

Pizza
07-05-12, 11:41 AM
They won't release Song of the South but they'll make toys of a raccoon with a machine gun.

Michael Corvin
07-05-12, 01:13 PM
the second Hulk movie was great, and a decent hit.

Perception is a funny thing... you say it was a hit (based on it being a better film) but it made less than the Ang Lee version. Not by much, but neither were a bona fide "hit."

Solid Snake
07-05-12, 03:39 PM
Actually. The Incredible Hulk made more than The Hulk. Not by much...but it did. It was a decent hit. Percentage wise...Hulk had it a bit better considering the budget..but TIH was financially better for sure..again, not by much...but it was.

The Incredible Hulk- Budget at $150,000,000
Domestic: $134,806,913 51.2%
+ Foreign: $128,620,638 48.8%
= Worldwide: $263,427,551

Hulk- Budget at $137,000,000
Domestic: $132,177,234 53.9%
+ Foreign: $113,183,246 46.1%
= Worldwide: $245,360,480

Ky-Fi
07-05-12, 03:44 PM
I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved Ang Lee's Hulk. I liked all the cast, the music, the split screen stuff---and the desert base scene is still the closest any Marvel movie has come to capturing the feel of the Silver Age comics for me.

Solid Snake
07-05-12, 04:16 PM
I like it as a character study drama. Not as a superhero film. It fails at that..but it's a good drama. Hate...hate...so fucking hate Lucas' character. That guy annoyed me more than any fault that film had. More than the dogs.

gmanca
07-05-12, 04:25 PM
Snake, you forgot about inflation, it made more.

I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely loved Ang Lee's Hulk. I liked all the cast, the music, the split screen stuff---and the desert base scene is still the closest any Marvel movie has come to capturing the feel of the Silver Age comics for me.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite movies, let alone comic book movies, for those reasons. There are somethings that definitely could have worked better, especially the humor, but I totally appreciate the effort to be something more.

Solid Snake
07-05-12, 04:31 PM
I'll give it that. It really wanted to be something more..and it was. It just didn't jive well w/ trying to make it a comic book movie.

MrSmearkase
07-14-12, 09:48 PM
Confirmed (http://www.slashfilm.com/guardians-galaxy-thor-dark-world-captain-america-winter-soldier-titles-announced-marvel-comiccon-2012/) for August 1, 2014

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MrSmearkase/GuardiansLogo.jpg
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MrSmearkase/GuardiansTeam.jpg

Tom Creo
07-14-12, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming Thanos will be in this flick and will tie into the Avengers sequel? Man, the price of Iron Man #55 is gonna get even higher (1st Thanos and Drax).

Matthew Chmiel
07-14-12, 11:14 PM
I'm assuming Thanos will be in this flick and will tie into the Avengers sequel?
Rumors prior to today's announcement have already confirmed this.

Tom Creo
07-14-12, 11:57 PM
Soooooo were the rumors confirmed? lol I'm fuckin' with you, of course Thanos has got to be in this just would like someone official stating that.

Solid Snake
07-19-12, 03:55 PM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad180/MrSmearkase/GuardiansTeam.jpg

I forgot to comment on this. I know this is concept art. So...I'm taking this w/ a grain of salt.

I dig Starlord's (guy in mask) look. I'm assuming that's Gamora on the side, can't really tell much about her aside that she looks fine. HOWEVER...Is that Drax w/ only one fucking hand? WTF is that where his right hand i supposed to be? Don't really like Groot's visual either. Also...Rocket Raccoon is a bit too.....cartoony for me. I know this is concept but..I'd like to see wtf the other concept art is like.

Jules Winfield
07-19-12, 05:31 PM
I'm going to see a character named Rocket Racoon in a movie theater. If you told me that ten years ago, I'd say you were a fucking loon,

Mondo Kane
07-19-12, 06:07 PM
Also...Rocket Raccoon is a bit too.....cartoony for me. I know this is concept but..I'd like to see wtf the other concept art is like.

Eh, just watch a Narnia movie and you'll accept it.

Solid Snake
07-19-12, 06:16 PM
I know what Narnia is but don't exactly get the statement.

Mondo Kane
07-19-12, 06:23 PM
Just sub the sword with a rocket
http://www.liakeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/209984_12599876871.jpeg

Matthew Chmiel
07-19-12, 06:27 PM
Eh, just watch a Narnia movie and you'll accept it.
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS MAN SNAKE.

The Narnia films were all garbage. Well the first two were enough for me to not even bother with the third... and I would say that goes for the majority as they're not producing the remaining four! :D

Mondo Kane
07-19-12, 06:35 PM
^I wasn't talking about the movies themselves. But the fact that a talking, weapon-wielding critter can be pulled off. I was just using Reepicheep as a reference.

Matthew Chmiel
07-19-12, 06:44 PM
^I wasn't talking about the movies themselves. But the fact that a talking, weapon-wielding critter can be pulled off. I was just using Reepicheep as a reference.
The biggest difference between the Marvel Studios' films and the Narnia franchise have been the Narnia films have taken place in a fantasy world.

The Marvel films have (tried) to have some sort of resemblance of being grounded in reality. They mash the real with the whimsical. It's a tough job to pull off, but it can be done as long as Marvel gets the right team in place.

Preterite
07-19-12, 09:28 PM
You guys are ragging on the Rocket now. But some day Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be a big hit, and you're going to say "Oh, I've been into Rocket Raccoon for years and I think he's fabulous".

Solid Snake
08-03-12, 04:29 PM
Via THR:

Chris McCoy is being tapped to rewrite Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Studios’ space adventure movie.

Galaxy is part of Marvel’s second wave of movies and is the only new title among the crop of mostly sequels featuring Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. It was revealed as the company’s mystery movie in late June and officially announced at Comic-Con in July.

While there have been several incarnations of the team in the comics over the years, the movie’s lineup will include Drax the Destroyer, a human resurrected as a green warrior with the sole purpose of killing Thanos (the villain in the Avengers final-scene tease); Groot, a giant tree-man; Star-Lord, a gun-toting half-human/half-alien intergalactic vigilante; Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives; and Gamora, the last survivor of her species who was saved by Thanos to be his assassin but now battles him.

Nicole Perlman wrote the previous draft. Perlman is graduate of Marvel’s now-defunct writing program who wrote two space-themed biopics: Challenger, about the 1986 Space Shuttle disaster, and an untitled Neil Armstrong project.

While he has yet to achieve a produced credit, McCoy is considered to have a lot of heat as a writer. The scribe has had three of his specs land on the Black List: Get Back in 2007, Good Looking in 2009 and Good Kids in 2011. His scripts have been praised for their quirky comedic bent.

McCoy is repped by WME and the Gotham Group.

Why So Blu?
08-18-12, 03:31 PM
Okay, so James Gunn (Slither & Super) in talks to direct Guardians..... I am interested now.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Marvel-Eyeing-James-Gunn-Direct-Guardians-Galaxy-32552.html

Marvel Studios has a track record of picking unlikely directors for their giant tentpole projects, but they may have just outdone themselves. James Gunn, the indie filmmaker whose last movie was the dark anti-superhero movie Super, is apparently the studio's top choice to direct Guardians of the Galaxy, the upcoming space drama that's a key part of "phase two" of the studio's development.

Announced at Comic Con last month, Guardians of the Galaxy is set for release August 1, 2014, which gives them not a lot of time to put together a CGI-heavy film set in space that features a machine-gun-wielding raccoon as one of its characters. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel is considering several other unlikely choices if talks with Gunn don't work out-- they're also eyeing Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, the indie filmmakers behind projects like Half-Nelson and It's Kind Of A Funny Story, and Peyton Reed, most famous for directing Bring It On. If they had simply thrown darts at a board covered with every director currently alive, I don't think they could have come up with a more seemingly random list.

But that's kind of the magic of the Marvel films so far, which have brought in unlikely choices-- like Kenneth Branagh for Thor, or especially Joss Whedon for The Avengers-- and made them pay off in spadea. Marvel is also famous for refusing to pay top dollar for talent, and Gunn-- whose debut film Slither made $7.8 million total, and whose Super topped out at $327,716 theatrically-- surely can't demand a giant paycheck. We'll see if talks pan out, but Gunn's participation could take Guardians of the Galaxy from what looked like an oddball also-ran Marvel movie to something potentially fascinating, dark and unlike anything else they've made.

Solid Snake
08-18-12, 03:33 PM
well that's interesting. Never saw Slither....always wanted too.

Why So Blu?
08-18-12, 03:35 PM
well that's interesting. Never saw Slither....always wanted too.

Rectify that asap. Slither is hysterically awesome. Great gore and Nathan Fillion is the lead.

If they let Gunn direct, I'd love for him to contribute to screenplay.

He's a cool dude. I won an autographed Super script by the entire cast a few months ago.

anomynous
08-18-12, 05:38 PM
If Gunn and Whedon are both directing the MCU, it can't be long until Nathan Fillion shows up.

Solid Snake
08-18-12, 05:52 PM
Rectify that asap. Slither is hysterically awesome. Great gore and Nathan Fillion is the lead.

He's a cool dude. I won an autographed Super script by the entire cast a few months ago.

I'm actually, and seems like hopelessly, waiting for it to hit BD. It was on HD DVD. I know I would like it. I just...await to own it at some point.

If Gunn and Whedon are both directing the MCU, it can't be long until Nathan Fillion shows up.

And that might be too much for us to handle. I honestly no idea what he'd be in it but he sure has a lot of charm that's hard not to love.

islandclaws
08-18-12, 06:14 PM
If Gunn directs then my interest level has raised by 137%.

riotinmyskull
08-18-12, 06:17 PM
if gunn's directing...uh, i'm fucking in.

Matthew Chmiel
08-18-12, 06:17 PM
If Gunn gets the gig, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up polishing the screenplay. In fact, I also wouldn't be surprised if Whedon contributes notes too.

I hope Gunn says yes.

LickTheABCs
08-19-12, 12:44 AM
Joss Whedon, James Gunn, Edgar Wright and Shane Black is a nerd murderers row of directors. Not sure how the Russo's fit in, though..

I just now learned Gunn from Angel was named after him. That's awesome.

Solid Snake
08-19-12, 05:44 AM
So...out of all the directors Marvel has hired...who's the most expensive? I'd assume it'd be Wright and Whedon, no?

LickTheABCs
08-19-12, 10:10 AM
Of Phase II and on, Joss Whedon, post-Avengers most likely.

Why So Blu?
09-18-12, 01:26 PM
So James Gunn just confirmed on his FB page that it is on:

For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy. As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!

islandclaws
09-18-12, 02:18 PM
:up:

I can't wait for casting announcements.

james2025a
09-18-12, 03:41 PM
:up:

I can't wait for casting announcements.

I think that so far this has been an aspect that Marvel has handled superbly. Every actor for the part has really been almost perfect choices. Even when they had trouble with Norton (who i liked as the Hulk) they replaced him with a great choice in Ruffalo. So any guesses from anyone? I will take first stab.

Starlord - Maybe Tom Cruise might suit this role after passing up Iron Man some years back. Ben Affleck could work nice as well i guess.

Drax - Vin Diesel or The Rock.

Gamora - The interesting one. Ok...so how about maybe Famke Jansen. Or Carla Gugino. Or Olivia Wilde. Or Rachel Nichols. Or Mila Kunis. I would be happy with any of those.

Groot - CGI i guess. Voice....hmmmm.....Ian McKellan or is that too straight forward.

Rocket Racoon - For the voice i would love Clint Eastwood...but thats not gonna happen. How about Jason Statham.

islandclaws
09-18-12, 03:43 PM
I was more thinking about what roles Fillion & Rooker might inhabit.

james2025a
09-18-12, 03:50 PM
Well i like Fillion and Rooker....but they are both a tad old now i think for any roles here. Fillion would be great as Hank Pym in an Ant-man movie (and by the sounds of that they are having more than one character play the role in that movie....so he can pass on the mantel and then get to work building Ultron, being Yellow Jacket and beating the crap out of the Wasp).

TGM
09-18-12, 05:02 PM
I still think this is a doozy of a bad idea.

Solid Snake
09-18-12, 05:36 PM
Fuck you. It's a great idea. Talking Raccoon..w/ guns! Possible cigar chomping! Cockney accent! GOLD!

Tom Creo
09-18-12, 11:25 PM
Put the Rock in this and watch the BOx Office soar. In fact, put Paul Walker in as Nova as long as he wears the helmet for most of the film, too. Would love to see Paula Patton as Gamora.

kstublen
09-18-12, 11:51 PM
I never thought I'd see the day where we'd be getting a Guardians Of The Galaxy movie, but it's definitely great to see Marvel Studio's willingness to expand the Cinematic Universe beyond the most well-known Marvel characters. Still, I'd think they'll have to have their expectations in check for this one because I just can't imagine people turning out for it in droves like they did for Iron Man or The Avengers.

If they're making Ant-Man and Guardians Of The Galaxy movies though that certainly gives renewed hope that we'll see Black Panther (Nick Fury has already referenced Black Panther in Iron Man 2) and Doctor Strange movies eventually too.

antspawn
09-18-12, 11:59 PM
Fuck you. It's a great idea. Talking Raccoon..w/ guns! Possible cigar chomping! Cockney accent! GOLD!

The Racoon reminds me of Nintendo's StarFox.

RichC2
09-19-12, 12:39 AM
Marvel needs to let Gunn go R on this. If there isn't a scene equal to Dwight from The Office brutally busting a guys head open with a wrench then I don't see the point.

So is this movie run by videogame companies? I see Kratos, Sly Cooper, the guy from Killzone, and a younger Kain from Legacy of Kain

james2025a
09-19-12, 08:25 AM
Its funny, but when the original Iron Man went into production i had mixed feelings. I loved the casting of RDJ as Stark, but for me the character himself was a real Marvel Universe B-figure. In the comics in recent years he has really come into his own, but before that i really had little interest in the character at all. The movie really did a brilliant job of changing my perspective on the character. So for the GOTG i kind of feel the same way. I have not really had much interest in them in the comics, but am hoping that i will have my opinion changed by an entertaining and great movie. I think Marvel is doing a really good job so far.

Ky-Fi
09-19-12, 12:13 PM
I would really love to see a Namor movie. You could have a really great underwater, sci-fi world (like the Phantom Menace scenes without the kiddie/cartoon vibe), and he's in an interesting gray area between hero and villain---you could even have him battling the Avengers or X-Men or Hulk while still being the "hero" of the movie......lots of potential there, I think.

Solid Snake
09-19-12, 02:16 PM
Who does Namor belong to btw? Is it Fox w/ the FF rights or Marvel?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
09-19-12, 02:27 PM
Marvel owns Namor, at least according to Joe Quesada: http://www.superheroauthority.com/2012/05/film-rights-of-namor-sub-mariner-said.html

I think Universal actually had a deal for Namor some time ago, and since it never materialized, it likely reverted.

Solid Snake
09-19-12, 03:05 PM
They did. Really really wished we could've seen The Invaders in Cap's film. Hell...I'd love to have a Union Jack film. He was a badass. Also...British!

Deftones
09-22-12, 02:43 PM
More Thanos news: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25021/feige-on-thanos-in-avengers-2-beyond

Solid Snake
09-22-12, 03:10 PM
for the lazy:

His profile made a quick cameo during the end credits of "The Avengers" with a look akin to the offspring of Ron Perlman and a mountain gorilla dipped in grape juice.

Now, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige tells MTV that the 'Thanos' tease did exactly the job it was meant to do - "get the audience buzzing". He does affirm however there was good reason for the Marvel alien supervillain's inclusion.

“Clearly, there’s a purpose to us putting him in the end of that movie. We do have plans for him. I wouldn’t say we ever feel the need to rush anything one way or the other. We succeeded in Phase One because we stuck to our guns and stuck to the plan. That plan took place over many, many years and it ultimately paid off. I see Phase Two unfolding in the same way of us taking our time, us doing what’s right for each individual movie, while folding in elements that will not only build up to the culmination of Phase Two, but even Phase Three.”

With word that Thanos will appear in the final two 'Phase Two' films - "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "The Avengers 2" - this pretty much certifies him as the primary villain in at least one (if not both) of these movies.

superdeluxe
09-23-12, 02:05 AM
So James Gunn just confirmed on his FB page that it is on:

For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy. As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!

Shit just got real.

superdeluxe
11-29-12, 02:42 AM
http://m.deadline.com/2012/11/marvel-testing-short-list-of-actors-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-leader/

EXCLUSIVE: As Marvel Studios does each time it looks to land a lead for a superhero franchise, Kevin Feige’s hit-making studio has put together a short list for the lead in its next major project, Guardians Of The Galaxy. Marvel, after reportedly hiring James Gunn as director, has begun the effort to cast Peter Quill, the Guardians leader who is the offspring of a human mother and an alien father. I’m hearing that Marvel is making test deals with a small group of leading men. Here are the names: Zero Dark Thirty‘s Joel Edgerton, Boardwalk Empire‘s Jack Huston, Cloud Atlas‘ Jim Sturgess, Lee Pace (who has roles in both Lincoln and The Hobbit), and Eddie Redmayne from Les Miserables.
I’ve confirmed all of them are in contention but can’t say definitively that this list is all-inclusive as I’ve also heard of interest from or in Garrett Hedlund, James Marsden (he already played Cyclops in X-Men, but then again Chris Evans played Fantastic Four‘s Human Torch before landing Captain America) and Edgerton’s Animal Kingdom co-star Sullivan Stapleton. We’ll stay tuned, but this certainly means that Marvel and Disney are serious about launching new superhero franchises..

Not sure who I would pick to play Star-Lord

joe_b
11-29-12, 05:31 AM
^ Solid list of candidates. I'm not familiar with the character, but I'd welcome seeing Lee Pace in a Marvel movie any day.

mdc3000
11-29-12, 08:19 AM
I think Huston or Pace would be great choices.

superdeluxe
11-29-12, 09:52 AM
for me Pace and Edgerton would be ideal...depends on how they want the character to 'look' like I suppose.

PenguinJoe
11-29-12, 11:29 AM
fansite but interesting casting ideas.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/DDD/news/?a=65396

Solid Snake
11-29-12, 12:21 PM
Edgerton would rock. He has a great look and his voice is cool. Has a tone that I admire in it.

stingermck
11-29-12, 01:51 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy director under fire for superhero-sex article

Even as the casting search gears up for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, a push has begun online to convince the studio to fire director James Gunn over objections to a nearly two-year-old blog post that many view as misogynistic and homophobic. (Note: This post contains graphic language.)

The Feb. 17, 2011 post containing the results of a “Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With” poll, complete with Gunn’s commentary, was deleted at some point from the filmmaker’s website but the cached version resurfaced earlier this week on Tumblr before receiving further exposure Wednesday on The Mary Sue. Why Gunn’s post was only recently unearthed is a bit of a mystery (he was confirmed to direct Guardians of the Galaxy more than two months ago).

Gunn’s superhero sex poll includes male and female characters — 50 in all — ranging from Wonder Woman and Superman to Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel. While The Mary Sue notes “there’s nothing wrong about running a poll for the most sex-able superhero on your site,” the complaints arise over some of the filmmaker’s accompanying commentary.

Some of Gunn’s remarks are merely juvenile — for instance, Catwoman “has been making my penis feel funny since I was four years old and saw Julie Newmar playing her on TV” — others are a bit more offensive. On the entry for the X-Man Gambit, he writes, “My girlfriend voted for this Cajun fruit. I think she’s looking to have a devil’s three way with the two of us. The idea of my balls slapping against Gambit’s makes me sick to my stomach, but I can’t deny the fellow’s pure HEAT …”

For Batgirl/Cassandra Cain, Gunn suggests, “Being a teen mom and all, you know she’s easy. Go for it.” For Kitty Pryde: “@KittyPryde actually wrote me on Twitter after posting the nominees for heroes you most want to have sex with. I wrote her back, but neglected to mention that I wanted to anally do her.”

And for his Batwoman entry: “This lesbian character was voted for almost exclusively by men. I don’t know exactly what that means. But I’m hoping for a Marvel-DC crossover so that Tony Stark can “turn” her. She could also have sex with Nightwing and probably still be technically considered a lesbian.”

On her own blog, Dark Horse editor Rachel Edidin calls the comments “fucked up and misogynist and homophobic,” explaining, “If Gunn’s list is satire, it’s bad satire, because it skews incredibly close to material that’s not only already out there, but that comes from official media and in some cases industry professionals. There’s a significant slice of the comics community that is that misogynist and homophobic, and says so loudly and frequently. It’s telling, I think, that so many people took what Gunn wrote at face value: this is material we’ve seen before, again and again, presented seriously.”

A petition at Change.org urging Marvel Studios “to cut ties with Gunn and find a new director who has respect for women” has gathered more than 4,400 signatures.

Solid Snake
11-29-12, 02:10 PM
Sounds like he was being sarcastic. Kind of funny the stuff he typed. No big deal in the reality of the situation considering Disney owns Marvel, while still letting Marvel do it's thing I don't think anything, on the level of, offensive like that would ever bleed into the films.

Meh.

MrSmearkase
11-29-12, 02:21 PM
Those remarks are pretty typical for Gunn, so Marvel/Disney shouldn't act too surprised by reading them.

Guru Askew
11-29-12, 02:26 PM
They should refuse to allow Stan Lee to do cameos since he appeared in a scene discussing similar juvenile comic book sex questions in "Mallrats."

In fact they should fire anyone who has ever participated in anything creative that has anything sexual in it. Disney needs to make nice movies for the nice people.

Surely the powers-that-be knew what they were getting into when they hired the co-writer of "Tromeo and Juliet." It's not like they don't have IMDB.

PenguinJoe
11-30-12, 02:24 AM
What do you expect from the guy that did Slither and PG Porn?

islandclaws
12-01-12, 03:22 PM
Anyone see his apology? I hope Marvel made him do it, because he otherwise looks like a spineless jellyfish it's so pathetically written. Apologizing for humor is NEVER the answer.

superdeluxe
12-01-12, 03:26 PM
Anyone see his apology? I hope Marvel made him do it, because he otherwise looks like a spineless jellyfish it's so pathetically written. Apologizing for humor is NEVER the answer.

It is Disney, Of course they made him do it.

kgrogers1979
12-01-12, 03:31 PM
They should refuse to allow Stan Lee to do cameos since he appeared in a scene discussing similar juvenile comic book sex questions in "Mallrats."

I seriously doubt Stan Lee has a cameo in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie anyway. Stan Lee only cameos in movies of characters he created. He didn't cameo in any of the Punisher, Blade, or Ghost Rider movies since he didn't create those characters.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
12-01-12, 06:10 PM
I seriously doubt Stan Lee has a cameo in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie anyway. Stan Lee only cameos in movies of characters he created. He didn't cameo in any of the Punisher, Blade, or Ghost Rider movies since he didn't create those characters.

That was true until Captain America. He was in it and he didn't create Cap.

majorjoe23
12-01-12, 07:24 PM
Apologizing for humor is NEVER the answer.

I don't know, if Tyler Perry apologized for his Madea movies I would gain a lot of respect for him.

Jason
12-01-12, 09:06 PM
That was true until Captain America. He was in it and he didn't create Cap.

He brought him back to life. Close enough for me.

Solid Snake
12-09-12, 12:24 AM
<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:863169/cp~vid%3D863169%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A863169" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More:
<a href="http://www.mtv.com/movies/trailer_park/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movie Trailers</a>, <a href="http://moviesblog.mtv.com/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Movies Blog</a></p></div></div>

Jules Winfield
12-09-12, 03:11 PM
I don't know, if Tyler Perry apologized for his Madea movies I would gain a lot of respect for him.

What does this have to do with humor?

superdeluxe
01-03-13, 11:05 AM
Joseph Gordon Levitt up for Star Lord?

http://screenrant.com/joseph-gordon-levitt-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

Strangely enough, the part about a new candidate coming after the holiday was true and this brings us to Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Deadline has the latest scoop which indicates that after a busy and very successful year with Premium Rush, Looper, Lincoln and of course, The Dark Knight Rises, JGL is a candidate for the role of Peter Quill in Guardians of the Galaxy – where he could potentially wear a mask similar to his character in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

If this report is accurate, it’s likely that Levitt is therefore not part of Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment’s plans for Batman going forward, where it was reported by HitFix that he could play the character of John Blake in Justice League, suiting up as Batman instead of Christian Bale’s Bruce Wayne or a newly-cast version of him.

Would Marvel bringing Joseph Gordon-Levitt into their long-term plans of their franchise be a great steal from WB/DC and a smart casting choice to lead a team of otherworldly and unlikely heroes? Or does another name on the list sound more appealing? Expect more rumors and announcement soon, especially as Marvel and Gunn move on to casting the other members of the team and supporting cast.

I really like Levitt, but I don't really know this star lord character, would he be a good fit?

Solid Snake
01-03-13, 02:07 PM
Uh....maybe. I imagine him to be older looking.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RM1nTPpMDEc/SC2T0PZH2pI/AAAAAAAAGFI/DXdjCUDTCbQ/s400/starlord.jpg

Not saying JGL COULDN'T be Star Lord but...I don't see it. In the visual sense. Also...HIM talking to a Raccoon I can't imagine. While someone like Joel Edgerton (real casting or not) I could. Also he could sell Star Lord better..for me.

Peter Quill is very much an every man. A guy who is an adaptive type in his actions over a proactive one, whatever happens he'll roll w/ it. Which is interesting considering the purpose of the Guardians. Think Malcolm Reynolds or Nathan Drake or Indy or whomever could fit that mold better. Along w/ that the assumed attributes to be a leader and a hard guy to knock down at times.

Yeah, he has a mission but damned if it stays the way it was planned. He's open minded to shit fucking up.

JGL wouldn't be my pick but I wouldn't go against it either. Fine actor. I'd hope it goes good for him if he got it.

EDIT:
seems like rosenbaum read for it too, interesting.
http://i.imgur.com/akvVH.png

EDIT MOTHERFUCKING EDIT:

From what I've read it looks like Gunn has been talking to guys from NASA too. No clue if NASA is in the story or not considering that they were involved w/ Peter Quill.

superdeluxe
01-03-13, 04:00 PM
Uh....maybe. I imagine him to be older looking.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RM1nTPpMDEc/SC2T0PZH2pI/AAAAAAAAGFI/DXdjCUDTCbQ/s400/starlord.jpg

Not saying JGL COULDN'T be Star Lord but...I don't see it. In the visual sense. Also...HIM talking to a Raccoon I can't imagine. While someone like Joel Edgerton (real casting or not) I could. Also he could sell Star Lord better..for me.

Peter Quill is very much an every man. A guy who is an adaptive type in his actions over a proactive one, whatever happens he'll roll w/ it. Which is interesting considering the purpose of the Guardians. Think Malcolm Reynolds or Nathan Drake or Indy or whomever could fit that mold better. Along w/ that the assumed attributes to be a leader and a hard guy to knock down at times.

Yeah, he has a mission but damned if it stays the way it was planned. He's open minded to shit fucking up.

JGL wouldn't be my pick but I wouldn't go against it either. Fine actor. I'd hope it goes good for him if he got it.

EDIT:
seems like rosenbaum read for it too, interesting.
http://i.imgur.com/akvVH.png

EDIT MOTHERFUCKING EDIT:

From what I've read it looks like Gunn has been talking to guys from NASA too. No clue if NASA is in the story or not considering that they were involved w/ Peter Quill.

Hrmm thanks for the thoughts on this. One thing that JGL gets you over the other actors for the most part is the name/face recognition.

Solid Snake
01-03-13, 04:06 PM
He is a name actor for sure. Brings the critical and financial quality now, for the most part. He's popular but he can get shit done right too. From a business standpoint...he's great. I'd be fine w/ this, not on my high spectrum for the character but I'm sure he could rock it.

anomynous
01-30-13, 12:34 AM
ComicBookMovie.com posted an article earlier saying Marvel's considering Jon Benjamin to voice Rocket Raccoon, but they took it down.

Yes please.

dex14
02-05-13, 03:55 PM
Looks like Chris Pratt is the lead.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/chris-pratt-getting-guardians-of-the-galaxy-lead/

:thumbsup:

superdeluxe
02-05-13, 03:59 PM
Chris Pratt HRMM.

Deftones
02-05-13, 05:25 PM
fuck yes. the more work this guy gets the better. he's brilliant as andy on P&R.

superdeluxe
02-05-13, 05:46 PM
fuck yes. the more work this guy gets the better. he's brilliant as andy on P&R.

Now I think about it awesome choice. To be a superhero like Star Lord you have to be able to handle a wide range of shots. He has comedy timing down, he can do drama/action (Good scenes from MOney Ball/ZD30)

dex14
02-05-13, 06:48 PM
Don't forget his roots...Everwood!

Why So Blu?
02-05-13, 09:47 PM
James Gunn left for London today and will be there for 9 months of production and such.

anomynous
02-15-13, 04:36 PM
Jason Momoa is Drax (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jason-momoa-cast-as-drax-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy)

Deftones
02-15-13, 04:44 PM
Yet another good casting choice. :up:

Solid Snake
02-16-13, 08:54 AM
I've never seen Mamoa beyond Game of Thrones..but he was pretty damn cool in that. Though have known of his other...works.

Also...JUST saw ZDT yesterday. If they go w/ Pratt as Starlord...great. The guy has the size, comic timing, and level of seriousness for the character. I'd go w/ that for sure. ZDT was pretty damn cool.

actionjackson29
02-16-13, 08:34 PM
He was the resident badass on Stargate Atlantis.

PenguinJoe
02-17-13, 12:51 AM
This will be great.

Deftones
03-12-13, 11:48 AM
Jason Momoa is Drax (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jason-momoa-cast-as-drax-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy)

Not anymore. Sounds like they couldn't get a deal done, so they are looking at other actors now. Front runner appears to be a WWE wrestler (Dave Bautista): http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26466/dave-bautista-to-play-drax-the-destroyer

anomynous
03-12-13, 01:20 PM
Fucking Marvel/Momoa/somebody

Budget constraints? After The Avengers?

dave94
03-12-13, 02:04 PM

Why the hell would he hold out for more money? Does he think he has any amount of leverage?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
03-12-13, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't assume this movie would be a huge success just because of the Avengers. It's a pretty out there concept, and I'm still not sure if mainstream audiences are ready for it.

stingermck
03-12-13, 02:07 PM
Momoa waiting for that Conan sequel? :lol:

As usual (good or bad) Marvel is going to keep the money tight. But for someone like Momoa he shouldve jumped on that just for more exposure.

Solid Snake
03-12-13, 02:13 PM

I don't understand how tight of an asshole Marvel (now backed by Disney) can be. They get cheap directors. Who produce more than financially worthy films. And then they've weird deals w/ their actors. I think Downey is the best paid one cuz he knows wtf is going on. Didn't he get a shit ton off of The Avengers?

PhantomStranger
03-12-13, 02:14 PM
Why the hell would he hold out for more money? Does he think he has any amount of leverage?
I suspect the contract would limit his ability to do other roles and doesn't have a big payday involved if he is optioned for a sequel. From the way Marvel has been running things, it appears they think they can cast almost anyone in any role (aside from Iron Man in their universe) and still sell the movie.

Why So Blu?
03-14-13, 08:53 PM
David Batista got cast as Drax today.

devilshalo
03-14-13, 09:03 PM
Hey, Marvel understands where the money needs to be spent on these movies... and it's in the vfx. The cast is secondary.

JumpCutz
03-14-13, 09:30 PM
Momoa is out? :thumbsup:

Why So Blu?
03-14-13, 09:32 PM
Momoa is out? :thumbsup:

http://furiousfanboys.com/2013/03/bautista-is-drax-the-destroyer/

Boba Fett
03-14-13, 11:41 PM
4P3YXWM4oiQ

Tom Creo
03-15-13, 01:11 AM
Is he managed by Vince like the Rock and Cena are?

Boba Fett
03-15-13, 03:06 AM

No. He actually left wrestling a few years back on his own terms.

Solid Snake
03-15-13, 07:30 AM

The rock is managed by Vince?

Jason
03-15-13, 06:00 PM
The rock is managed by Vince?

In actuality, aren't they all? I always thought the "managers" were just another part of the schtick.

Solid Snake
03-15-13, 06:11 PM
I was being literal. Who is The Rock's manager for movies and such?

Obi-Wan Jabroni
03-15-13, 08:38 PM
Vince was basically his manager in the beginning, which is why he got executive producer credits in all of his early starrring roles, but I'm positive he has people for that now and Vince isn't involved.

Cena pretty much only makes movies when the movie is produced by WWE films.

Batista hasn't been with WWE in years, I'm sure Vince isn't involved in his film career.

Solid Snake
03-16-13, 05:26 AM
Never really thought about who managed The Rock now. Whoever does though makes good money w/ him. Especially now. A few rough steps in quality but mostly for a guy like that. Damn fine work.

GuessWho
03-16-13, 09:12 AM
As of last year, The Rock's ex-wife was still his manager
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/dwayne-johnsons-ex-wife-continues-as-his-manager_1289668

Solid Snake
03-16-13, 10:57 AM
Interesting.

dex14
04-03-13, 03:52 PM
Zoe Saldana is in negotiations to play the female lead in Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

Saldana would play Gamora, the green-skinned humanoid who is the last of a species that was exterminated by a race known as the Badoon. She also happens to be a skilled assassin.

If a deal makes, Saldana will join Chris Pratt, who is playing Star-Lord, and Dave Bautista, who portraying Drax the Destroyer, in the space-set adventure movie. The superhero group also includes Groot, a giant tree-man, and Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives.

James Gunn is directing the movie, which is eyeing a June production start date. Disney has set an August 1, 2014, release date for Guardians.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
04-03-13, 03:58 PM
:thumbsup: Sounds good to me!

Solid Snake
04-03-13, 04:36 PM
It's official that Pratt is Quill? Cool.

Not sure how I feel about Saldana as Gamora. She's petite from what I've seen her. Not sure f she could be convincing for that.

Either way...Gunn is directing so that's the big attraction for me on the cast and crew side.

joe_b
04-03-13, 08:49 PM
Saldana cast in another major nerd franchise? Give someone else a chance! :lol:

devilshalo
04-03-13, 09:01 PM
Maybe they meant Zoe Bell? :p

dex14
04-05-13, 07:58 AM
With casting currently underway on Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy, we it got on good authority that Basil Sandhurst aka THE CONTROLLER will be one of the bad guys in the upcoming film.

I’m told that The Controller will act as Thanos’ main henchman and ambassador. Does this also mean that we will be seeing Thanos himself in the film? With Guardians Of The Galaxy being the last standalone Marvel film that leads into The Avengers 2, I think that is a strong possibility.

A supervillain in the Marvel Comics, The Controller specializes in mind control and is frequent foe of Tony Stark. In researching The Controller, he has interacted with many characters that already exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Tony Stark for starters, Shield agents Jasper Sitwell and Maria Hill, and Iron Man 2 baddie Justin Hammer.

http://latino-review.com/2013/04/03/exclusive-meet-thanos-henchman-marvels-guardians-galaxy/

dex14
04-16-13, 02:21 PM
With Gunn directing, I knew it was only a matter of time...

Michael Rooker, who was fantastic on his now-completed run on AMC’s The Walking Dead, has been cast as one of the four founding superheroes of Guardians Of The Galaxy, the Marvel Studios pic that James Gunn is helming. He will play Yondu, who in Marvel lore was a game hunter of a primitive tribe native to Centauri IV, the first planet system to be colonized outside of the Sun’s solar system. He eventually bands together with fellow fugitives to form the superhero team. Chris Pratt already has been cast, and Disney plans an August 1, 2014 release date. Rooker, whose film credits include Mississippi Burning, Days of Thunder, JFK, Tombstone and Jumper, is repped by Kritzer Levine Wilkins Griffin Nilon Entertainment.

superdeluxe
04-16-13, 02:33 PM
Hell yeah. Cast rounding out nicely

Solid Snake
04-16-13, 03:10 PM
I have a hard time imagining the cast being together. Just weird to see those names together. It's Gunn. That's all I care about.

SuckaMC
04-16-13, 03:29 PM
Sweet! Love Rooker. Hopefully he doesn't die. Seems like last time he made it out of a movie alive was Cliffhanger.

Lord Zarak
04-16-13, 03:52 PM
Yes! A member of the classic Guardians made the movie. I've become very excited for this movie now.

superdeluxe
04-23-13, 06:12 PM
Lee Pace has been selected as the Villian, rumor that he will play The Collector

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176401-lee-pace-wins-villain-role-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy

superdeluxe
04-23-13, 06:19 PM
Other rumors that he is playing korvac or magus and Ophelia lovibond rumored to play karina

GuessWho
04-23-13, 09:14 PM
Sweet! Love Rooker. Hopefully he doesn't die. Seems like last time he made it out of a movie alive was Cliffhanger.That was 1993. Two years later, he was pretty unscathed in Mallrats, despite eating a chocolate-covered pretzel.

Greg MacGuffin
04-24-13, 11:21 AM
Ophelia Lovibond sounds like an Austin Powers villain.

superdeluxe
05-02-13, 03:28 PM
Some details from EW

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/i/2013/05/01/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy.jpg

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/02/iron-man-3-marvel-phase-two/4/

Saldana as a seductive alien badass? No brainer. But Pratt, known for the dim-but-lovable Andy Dwyer on TV, was an unusual a choice for a superhero. (Of course, so was Michael Keaton as Batman once upon a time …)

“He’s a hilariously frumpy, doofy guy in Parks and Rec, and he’s an incredibly kickass ripped guy in Zero Dark Thirty and that’s pretty awesome,” says Feige. “He’s going to need that in Guardians. That’s a big range right there.”

Still, finding the right actor wasn’t easy. “We did a lot of auditions, a lot of screen tests, just as we did for Thor, just as we did for Cap,” Feige says. “[Pratt] was hilarious, he was moving, he was … you bought him in the early versions of the outfit.”

As team leader both on and off screen, Pratt also helped them figure out who else should join the Guardians. “One of the reasons Bautista got the part was because his banter, and ad libs, and screen tests with Pratt were awesome.”

Solid Snake
05-02-13, 03:33 PM
I can't wait to see Pratt in costume. He's pretty awesome.

superdeluxe
05-06-13, 05:58 PM
Hearing rumors that David Tennant as the voice of Rocket Raccoon

superdeluxe
05-08-13, 02:01 PM
I have no clue who this guy could play, but apparently he is in GOTG:

Enzo Cilenti @EnzoCilenti
I may or may not be in #Guardiansofthegalaxy. I am sworn to secrecy so can't say. In entirely unrelated news, "I am".

Why So Blu?
05-08-13, 02:09 PM
I have no clue who this guy could play, but apparently he is in GOTG:

Enzo Cilenti @EnzoCilenti
I may or may not be in #Guardiansofthegalaxy. I am sworn to secrecy so can't say. In entirely unrelated news, "I am".

He's married to Sienna Guillory.

superdeluxe
05-22-13, 09:58 AM
Joblo source's say main villian in GOTG is Ronan the Accuser:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-spoilers-potential-villain-reveal-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-and-a-tidbit-on-the-amazing-spider-man-2?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Which could lead to Kree-Skrull war for Avengers 2 and 3.

Tom Creo
05-22-13, 02:18 PM
Ronan! Hot damn!!!! It's getting all Cosmic and shit up in here!!!!-biggrin-

Deftones
05-28-13, 07:57 PM
Looks like there is an offer (or maybe just strong interest) in John C. Reilly for a part in this. They say it is basically like the "Agent Coulson" for this specific group of characters. Also rumors that they are looking to cast another part with actors like Hugh Laurie, Ken Wantanabe or Alan Rickman.

Solid Snake
05-29-13, 08:15 AM
I thought they were the same part?

I think the MCU would work well with the J.C. Reilly.

superdeluxe
05-29-13, 11:43 PM
Glenn Close is head cop of Nova Corps

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepudgereport/2013/05/29/glen-close-cast-in-marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy/

The Antipodean
05-30-13, 01:54 AM
Hmm, I've never thought, "this superhero movie needs more Glenn Close." But so it goes

Tom Creo
05-30-13, 09:08 AM
Man, this cast is pretty incredible, minus Saldana.

dex14
05-30-13, 09:52 AM
Hmm, I've never thought, "this superhero movie needs more Glenn Close." But so it goes

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ec4nMM9KSKA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake
05-30-13, 10:24 AM
Not a fan of hers but she is pretty solid.

I really love Nova in the past 5-8 years. Really like his look now. Saying that has there ever been a female top cop in the NC?

joe_b
06-03-13, 02:09 AM
Karen Gillan (yes, Amelia Pond herself) is joining Guardians of the Galaxy as the currently unknown main female villain. I'm sure the Doctor would approve.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/doctor-who-star-joins-marvels-561293

RocShemp
06-03-13, 03:47 AM
As long as she doesn't require constant affirmation or constatnt reminders about how her boyfriend guarded over her for thousands of years, I'll be fine with her casting. Yes, I'm still pissed about how obnoxious her character in Doctor Who became.

dex14
06-03-13, 01:58 PM
EXCLUSIVE: Benicio Del Toro has joined the killer cast of the James Gunn-directed Marvel Studios franchise launcher Guardians Of The Galaxy. They are keeping his role under wraps, but he’s playing a character that is built to be part of future Marvel films, which means he has signed a deal with options that put him into multiple movies. It’s funny how when Marvel Studios first started making option-heavy deals, actors and their agents grumbled loudly. But guys like Samuel L. Jackson and Mark Ruffalo have done great stuff in short doses in incredibly high-profile films. Now, it will be intriguing to see what the company does with a property that doesn’t have the road-tested brand awareness of a Captain America, Thor, or Iron Man. I have to say that given the high bar for quality that Marvel has set under Kevin Feige — Iron Man 3 being the latest crowd-pleasing example — I’m more excited about this than the other space-based project Disney is banking on, Star Wars. Del Toro joins Glenn Close, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, John C. Reilly and others in the cast.

Why So Blu?
06-03-13, 02:02 PM
Doctor Strange.

Hokeyboy
06-03-13, 02:21 PM
Black Panther

resinrats
06-03-13, 02:23 PM
voice of Howard the Duck

Screwadu
C'mon, Star Brand!

EddieMoney
I hate Glenn Close. I never understood why Michael Douglas banged her in "Fatal Attraction." Maybe that's how he got the cancer.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
06-03-13, 02:24 PM
He's obviously playing The Watcher.

JumpCutz
06-03-13, 02:24 PM
Quicksilver!

Why So Blu?
06-03-13, 02:34 PM
Or Warlock.

devilshalo
06-03-13, 02:50 PM
Captain Marvel?
http://imageshack.us/a/img407/7240/captainmarvelspecial1.jpg

:p

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6024/captainmarvel29.jpg

Hokeyboy
06-03-13, 03:01 PM
Sunfire

Solid Snake
06-03-13, 05:11 PM
He's playing that dog that gives the team their missions.

Tom Creo
06-03-13, 06:44 PM
Damn!!!!!! Phase II ain't no joke.

Jules Winfield
06-03-13, 06:46 PM
He's playing the Infinity Gauntlet.

Jason
06-03-13, 06:57 PM
Fabian Stankowicz

Mondo Kane
06-03-13, 07:09 PM
http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individuals/b_1d/beyonder.gif

Why So Blu?
06-03-13, 07:40 PM
Death or The Stranger. Maybe Mephisto.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
06-03-13, 07:52 PM
Shang-Chi

RocShemp
06-03-13, 07:59 PM
Disney secretly purchased Hasbro which reverted G.I. Joe back to Marvel and therefore he's playing Serpentor.

ddrknghtrtns
06-03-13, 08:24 PM
Sub-Mariner for the win!

Screwadu
06-03-13, 08:26 PM
Cosmic Space Hippie (http://marvel.com/universe/Aquarian).

dex14
06-04-13, 08:37 PM
Interview with Lloyd Kaufman:

You must be proud of James Gunn doing Guardians of the Galaxy now.
Yeah, he’s giving me a part. I’m going to be in his movie. I’m going to London at the end of June to play a small part.

Will we recognize you?
Well, did you see Super?

Yeah, I noticed you in that.
You never know. He cut me out of Slither. You have to look real [hard]. He cut my improvised line. But I did a whole behind the scenes thing there for him and they put it on the DVD.

But Guardians of the Galaxy is huge effects and CGI so you could be unrecognizable.
We’ll see what happens. James is a good guy. I think it’ll be interesting just to see what it’s like and I’ll shoot some behind the scenes. I did it for Slither, I did it for Super. I did two pieces for Super. We have a channel called Your Own Damn Channel and every week we put up a free lesson, how Troma does it. One of them is in fact James’ opening of Slither.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/507781-exclusive-cannes-interview-lloyd-kaufman-on-nuke-em-high

Tom Creo
06-04-13, 10:17 PM
:thumbsup:

superdeluxe
06-05-13, 05:09 PM
Rumor is that Benecio will portray the Collector

Deftones
07-08-13, 01:53 PM
Villains allegedly revealed: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/27688/-guardians-of-the-galaxy-villains-revealed

s we have previously heard, actors Benicio del Toro, Karen Gillan and Lee Pace are playing villains in Marvel's upcoming "Guardians Of The Galaxy" film.

Now, Den of Geek says their source has confirmed which characters each will play in the production which is currently shooting in the UK.

Benicio del Toro is, indeed, The Collector. Also confirming an earlier rumour, Lee Pace is definitely going to be playing Ronan The Accuser. Karen Gillan, meanwhile, will be playing Nebula in the film.

The Collector is billions of years old and does exactly that - collect rare or valuable items from across the universe. He also has the power of prophecy and created a museum of countless life forms to keep them safe from Thanos.

Ronan The Accuser is an alien Kree with superhuman powers. He was a villain, but has become more heroic in the comics - so he'll probably have an arc in the film.

Nebula is a space pirate and the apparent granddaughter of Thanos.

superdeluxe
07-17-13, 09:59 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=83326#K8BjO49UDJhRhiSK.99

Sections of a call sheet for Guardians of the Galaxy have been uploaded to yourprops.com and feature two very vague scenes. Taking place on the exterior of an Xandar Mall, the first bit involves, “Peter Quill leaving Bereet, then flirting with Ti Asha on his way to a Broker's Shop,” while the second follows, “Rocket Raccoon's vid shield Point-of-View of Peter Quill, Bereet and Ti Asha.”

Despite how vaguely the scenes are described, the call sheet does mention some things that likely have origins within the Marvel mythology: planet Xandar is home to the Nova Corps in the comics, Bereet is an alien techno-artist whom became close friends with the incredible Hulk, and Ti Asha Ra is the last female of the Korbinites which is a species that also belongs to the famous Beta Ray Bill.

antspawn
07-21-13, 05:49 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of The Galaxy had been filming for 13 days in London when they arrived at Comic-Con Saturday. They still brought a ton of footage.

-Chris Pratt described his character Star Lord as a “jerk” who had a hard life as a kid and who now goes around space “making out with hot alien girls.”

-The movie looks funnier than any Marvel film before it. Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man is cocky-but-funny. Chris Pratt’s Starlord is a goofy character who wants to be cool. The footage showed a running gag where no one knew who Starlord was.

-The footage showed the characters in costume. The concept art below is very close to what they look like in the footage:
http://i.imgur.com/v6MVP8X.jpg

-We saw Rocket Raccoon firing a machine gun and he looked bad ass. We didn’t hear his voice though…Gunn is expected to reveal the actors voicing Rocket Raccoon and Groot this week.

This was the best Marvel panel because it was such a pleasant surprise. The entire cast was there. Karen Gillan (Nebula) even revealed that she shaved her head in order to be true to her character. But above all, they had been filming for 13 days in London and the footage they showed already looked so good. Keep an eye out for this one, it will be the better than the Captain America or Thor sequels.

Supermallet
07-21-13, 05:59 PM
I saw a photo of a bald Karen Gillan. Still hot as hell.

Artman
07-21-13, 06:05 PM
The Usual Suspects styled teaser/art, etc. sounds perfect. Been searching for any cam footage, but I haven't found anything for any movie... they must really have it locked down.

Groucho
07-21-13, 06:07 PM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8524/u7bt.jpg

superdeluxe
07-22-13, 07:03 PM
AICN with thoughts on footage:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63357?utm_source=full-feed&utm_medium=feed&utm_term=coolnews&utm_campaign=1307_RSS

The footage was silly, ridiculously charming and easily the most fun of anything played in Hall H today. James Gunn's sensibilities were on full display and Chris Pratt was knocking it out of the park. I love him on Parks and Rec, but he's on another level here. I'll eat my hat if he's not an a-lister in the next couple of years.

The secret to a group this weird is to jump headfirst and give it all you got. You can't shy away from the bizarre nature of this particular story at any point or the whole illusion shatters and it seems like Gunn, Feige and the rest of the Marvel team knows this... and turned the weird up to 11.

Why So Blu?
07-22-13, 07:33 PM
Just read that Thanos is in this.

Solid Snake
07-22-13, 07:58 PM
Feige said he'd be in a mastermind role.

Who is Rooker playing? Is that still a mystery?

Also I really want to know who is voicing Rocket and Groot. I hope Groot only says his phrase.

superdeluxe
07-22-13, 08:16 PM
Rooker is playing Yondoo

Solid Snake
07-22-13, 08:43 PM
Ah.

So Thanos' casting is still a mystery.

Paul_SD
07-22-13, 11:36 PM
The secret to a group this weird is to jump headfirst and give it all you got. You can't shy away from the bizarre nature of this particular story at any point or the whole illusion shatters and it seems like Gunn, Feige and the rest of the Marvel team knows this... and turned the weird up to 11.

In theory I agree with the strategy here. Back in '77, people didn't need a primer when they got dropped into SW. There was a ton of bizarre names no one had ever heard before and concepts...but the story was very easy to follow and it was FUN.

By Contrast, I'd expected Green Lantern to adopt the same kind of approach, but the above comment about being too timid and letting the illusion shatter is as spot on a critique of that films basic flaw as any I've read.

Terrell
07-22-13, 11:48 PM
I don't know about this shit. Does anyone really think this project is going to do well? I'm not familiar with this at all, so I'm asking with all sincerity. It looks odd and the characters are complete unknowns to anyone but hardcore comic book nerds. The cast inspires no confidence either, and how in the hell is Dave Bautista getting serious work in Hollywood? I guess finding big muscular men who can act is far more difficult than I thought.

taffer
07-22-13, 11:58 PM
It looks odd and the characters are complete unknowns to anyone but hardcore comic book nerds.

Its not like anyone other than comic nerds knew who Iron Man or Thor or Nick Fury or SHIELD or anything was either before the MCU.

antspawn
07-23-13, 12:39 AM
I don't know about this shit. Does anyone really think this project is going to do well? I'm not familiar with this at all, so I'm asking with all sincerity. It looks odd and the characters are complete unknowns to anyone but hardcore comic book nerds. The cast inspires no confidence either, and how in the hell is Dave Bautista getting serious work in Hollywood? I guess finding big muscular men who can act is far more difficult than I thought.

Did people know who Kick-ass was? What about Watchmen? I don't know who or what is Guardian of the galaxy but they look cool as fuck. Batista gets my respect because something about his persona and look makes him very interesting to watch. He's perfect to be casted in Superhero flicks.

Why So Blu?
07-23-13, 02:10 AM
Its not like anyone other than comic nerds knew who Iron Man or Thor or Nick Fury or SHIELD or anything was either before the MCU.

Everyone knew who those two were. I'll give you Nick Fury and SHIELD.

I'm a comic book nerd and I didn't even know who GOTG were. This one will be interesting to say that least.

Supermallet
07-23-13, 02:21 AM
As long as the movie is good, I don't think it matters if the characters are well known or not.

sven
07-23-13, 02:24 AM
I've collected comics off and on during the last 20 years or so but the only experience I have with GotG is from the Avengers cartoon. Doesn't matter though. I'll go see this shit for Chris Pratt alone.

taffer
07-23-13, 06:21 AM
Everyone knew who those two were. I'll give you Nick Fury and SHIELD.

I VERY seriously doubt most non-comic readers would have had any idea who Iron Man was before the movies. He wasn't nearly as popular as you seem to think. Marvel's "big two" that everyone knows has always been Spider-Man and Wolverine. To a lesser extent people would know Captain America and Hulk, but every other character in Marvel was basically unknown to the general public before all these movies started coming out.

starman9000
07-23-13, 08:23 AM
The Hulk and Captain America were about a billion times more well known by non-comic readers than Wolverine. :lol:

csant
07-23-13, 09:04 AM
I VERY seriously doubt most non-comic readers would have had any idea who Iron Man was before the movies. He wasn't nearly as popular as you seem to think. Marvel's "big two" that everyone knows has always been Spider-Man and Wolverine. To a lesser extent people would know Captain America and Hulk, but every other character in Marvel was basically unknown to the general public before all these movies started coming out.

You sir, never watch saturday morning cartoons.