DVD Talk
Weekend Box Office (6/22 - 6/24): The Scottish Destroy Abraham Lincoln [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Weekend Box Office (6/22 - 6/24): The Scottish Destroy Abraham Lincoln

Matthew Chmiel
06-23-12, 02:43 AM
I was hoping to invoke a joke involving the Emancipation Proclamation into the thread title, but I don't have as many characters to do so. :(

Sources tell me that Pixar’s heroine-in-the-highlands Brave will open to around $70M this weekend and $25M for today. So it’ll be an easy #1 this weekend – incredibly, Pixar’s 13th straight first place finish. That’s just about where DreamWorks Animation’s Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted opened two weeks ago for distributor Paramount ($60.3M). Looks like concerns that Brave would only appeal to girls and their mothers may have been overplayed. Then again, every Pixar 3D movie has opened to at least $60M. Plus, this is a giant release into 4,164 theaters, 2,790 of which are 3D shows. This is the first anti-princess toon bringing Disney into the 21st Century and audiences responded with CinemaScores of straight ‘A’s.

Also just as interesting is the untested mash-up genre. But Twentieth Century Fox’s R-rated Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (in 3,106 theaters) only came in 3rd behind DreamWorks Animation’s holdover toon Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted. My sources keep lowering their opening weekend estimates: now $17.5M and possibly under for the weekend after a flat $6.5M debut. That’s about where tracking was showing and Fox was dreading for the 3D horror thriller. Today’s number includes $701,261 in midnight screenings from 1,168 locations. But don’t expect much imrovement: audieces gave the pic only a ‘C+’ CinemaScore which doesn’t bode well for word of mouth.

This Lincoln: Vampire Hunter high-concept/no-stars pic is doing only slightly better than the openings of Tom Cruise’s PG-13 Rock Of Ages and Adam Sandler’s R-rated That’s My Boy which both flopped last weekend. Remember that the studio bought the mash-up package for $69M with most elements attached like producer Tim Burton and director Timur Bekmambetov who used their own money to buy scripter Seth Grahame-Smith’s bestselling book. (Only Hollywood would defile the reputation of one of America’s greatest Presidents…) Fox’s only reticence was the first dollar gross request which initially was just north of 25%. The final deal was rich. But Fox, led by production president Emma Watts, thought it had a major tentpole teed up. That’s probaby no longer the case.

Focus Features’ offbeat Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (in only 1,618 theaters) from writer-director Loraine Scafaria starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley finished 10th today. It posted $1.2M Friday and maybe a $4.5M weekend opening which is just under the low end of its box office projections.
:thumbsup: to Brave's performance.

:thmbsdwn: to Seeking a Friend for the End of the World's performance.

The Bus
06-23-12, 06:05 AM
I first heard of the Carell movie today. Terrible marketing.

Philzilla
06-23-12, 07:39 AM
I first heard of the Carell movie today. Terrible marketing.

you don't watch enough television

superdeluxe
06-23-12, 09:12 AM
you don't watch enough television

Well with the invention of DVR, not seeing many commericals.

davidh777
06-23-12, 09:40 AM
Well with the invention of DVR, not seeing many commericals.

I've seen it advertised a lot on Comcast On Demand

islandclaws
06-23-12, 10:02 AM
Most of the reviews I've seen for Brave have called it average at best.

Abe Lincoln looked terrible; I can't believe Fox thought it was a tentpole picture.

Solid Snake
06-23-12, 10:09 AM
Most of the reviews I've seen for Brave have called it average at best.

Abe Lincoln looked terrible; I can't believe Fox thought it was a tentpole picture.

if you've read the book, it could've been a tentpole picture. great book.

wm lopez
06-23-12, 10:32 AM
I love it when t.v. stars movies bomb after they leave their t.v. shows.

Matthew Chmiel
06-23-12, 10:43 AM
Carell's first film after leaving his show, Crazy, Stupid, Love., did $85 million on a $50 million budget.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is a much smaller film, on less screens, and a lot darker than Carell's usual fare.

PopcornTreeCt
06-23-12, 10:50 AM
But the commercials say that Seeking a Friend... is the one of the funniest movies of the year... so which is it?

Solid Snake
06-23-12, 11:01 AM
see that's the problem. you're equating that to financial value. Being the funniest film of the year doesn't mean it'll bank like crazy.

Goat3001
06-23-12, 11:02 AM
But the commercials say that Seeking a Friend... is the one of the funniest movies of the year... so which is it?

The script is floating around, someone linked it in the movie's thread. I read it, it has it's funny moments but it's more dark and heartfelt. I don't really think its supposed to be a comedy. It's more along the lines of Wristcutters.

I say this just having read the script though. I haven't seen the movie yet and don't know how real true they stayed to the script.

Yup. The book was great. It looks like they just completely fucked up the movie though.

islandclaws
06-23-12, 11:06 AM

That might be true, but I read that Fox ordered the writer to essentially butcher the book in order to "make it more marketable", so they should've known better. An Oct. release would've possibly opened stronger.

whotony
06-23-12, 11:15 AM

Bully for you, you're mostly a jackhole so your opinion on everything is meaningless.

Solid Snake
06-23-12, 11:26 AM
Bully for you, you're mostly a jackhole so your opinion on everything is meaningless.

jackhole? i've never heard the PG version of asshole.

whotony
06-23-12, 11:46 AM

You said it for me. Thanks.

Jaymole
06-23-12, 12:12 PM

Hey, this is wm lopez we are talking about here...would you expect anything less?

Dr. Mantle
06-23-12, 12:57 PM

Steve Carell has been a movie star for a while. The 40-year-old Virgin came out the same year that the Office started. It was kind of amazing that he stuck with a TV show for seven years when he could have made more movies for bigger paychecks.

With the exception of Evan Almighty, when has he made a movie that was a failure?

The Bus
06-23-12, 07:28 PM

And I am sure he loves his tens of millions of dollars.

JTH182
06-23-12, 08:43 PM

I thought the PG version was "buns hole."

My Other Self
06-23-12, 09:19 PM
That might be true, but I read that Fox ordered the writer to essentially butcher the book in order to "make it more marketable", so they should've known better. An Oct. release would've possibly opened stronger.I still haven't seen it but I haven't read anything saying the final product is that much different than the book.

They had a couple of things going against this, the first it being rated R (which I appreciate), and releasing it in June instead of October. This would have done much better in the Fall given the source material.

I didn't expect it to do well as it is, so it's no surprise. I'm going to try and catch it this week.

Michael Corvin
06-23-12, 09:29 PM
Yeah Lincoln looks good, but not Summer tent-pole good. Looks like a movie that would do gangbusters around Dec-Feb.

dolphinboy
06-23-12, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear "Seeking A Friend" is doing so lousy. It looks really good to me and my wife and I WILL be seeing it next week, I guess in a much less crowed theater than we expected.

resinrats
06-23-12, 09:46 PM
Yeah Lincoln looks good, but not Summer tent-pole good. Looks like a movie that would do gangbusters around Dec-Feb.

I would have released it near President's Day.

Time Warrior
06-23-12, 10:43 PM
I would have thought that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was the kind of superb book that would be impossible to make a bad adaption of. It is so cinematic in style with great speeches and opportunities for actors. Sadly they have somehow found a way to screw it up - very sad, I was so looking forward to it.

Charlie Goose
06-24-12, 05:25 AM
Steve Carell has been a movie star for a while. The 40-year-old Virgin came out the same year that the Office started. It was kind of amazing that he stuck with a TV show for seven years when he could have made more movies for bigger paychecks.

With the exception of Evan Almighty, when has he made a movie that was a failure?

Yeah, he's done pretty well so far. Even pablum like Date Night made just about $100 million theatrical.

Solid Snake
06-24-12, 06:32 AM
Pablum?

majorjoe23
06-24-12, 08:56 AM
Pablum?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pablum

Solid Snake
06-24-12, 10:19 AM
i thought it was a typo of some sort.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 10:26 AM

*high five*

I also like it when a person is disabled by cancer. It's because they're liberal and listen to left wing illuminati lies.

SethDLH
06-24-12, 10:30 AM
I think Abe Lincoln looks awful personally. I also think releasing it among summer blockbusters was an awful decision. Kick off the start of fall/Halloween season at the end of September with it and it would do well for weeks.

Seeking A Friend looks like it is worth checking out but again, I don't think they picked the right time for it. And honestly the marketing could be better. There is plenty of TV time in my home and I haven't seen too much about it.

Shannon Nutt
06-24-12, 10:55 AM
Variety is estimating $66.7 million for BRAVE, $16.5 million for ABE, and a meager $3.8 million for SEEKING A FRIEND...

I actually LIKED the Abe Lincoln flick. But I liked Battleship too, so I'm obviously a different kind of cat. :)

TheMovieman
06-24-12, 11:04 AM
Variety is estimating $66.7 million for BRAVE, $16.5 million for ABE, and a meager $3.8 million for SEEKING A FRIEND...

I actually LIKED the Abe Lincoln flick. But I liked Battleship too, so I'm obviously a different kind of cat. :)

Apparently...

http://i.imgur.com/yzQBk.jpg

onebyone
06-24-12, 11:21 AM
Weekend Estimates (http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/studio_estimate/2012-06-24)

1. Brave - $66,739,000
2. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - $20,200,000 -41% $157,573,722 total
3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - $16,500,000
4. Prometheus - $10,000,000 -52% $108,546,680 total
5. Snow White and the Huntsman - $8,012,655 -40% $137,055,375 total
6. Rock of Ages - $8,000,000 -45% $28,763,244 total
7. That's My Boy - $7,900,000 -41% $28,180,383 total
8. Marvel's The Avengers - $7,040,000 -21% $598,287,781 total
9. Men in Black 3 - $5,600,000 -44% $163,338,951 total
10. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - $3,836,348

Autotelik
06-24-12, 12:34 PM
Nice, looks like Avengers will clear 600m for sure next week then.

Rypro 525
06-24-12, 12:40 PM
although wasn't Seeking a Friend only playing in like 1500 screens?

Jules Winfield
06-24-12, 12:49 PM

What did TV stars ever do to you? Were you gang raped by Shelly Long, David Caruso and Joey from "Friends"?

Draven
06-24-12, 12:57 PM
I still haven't seen it but I haven't read anything saying the final product is that much different than the book.

Having read the book and seen the movie, they are WILDLY different.

sauce07
06-24-12, 01:16 PM
What did TV stars ever do to you? Were you gang raped by Shelly Long, David Caruso and Joey from "Friends"?

Tom Hanks fingered my bum hole

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 01:34 PM

He is suuuuuuuuuch a nice guy!

Ash Ketchum
06-24-12, 01:39 PM
I think Abe Lincoln looks awful personally.

Oh, come on!! How would you look if you'd been dead for 147 years?

TomOpus
06-24-12, 01:44 PM
Was it...Big?

Charlie Goose
06-24-12, 02:32 PM
I just saw Peter Scolari's cock on Girls, so you might just as well help ruin Bosom Buddies for me for all time.

TheMovieman
06-24-12, 03:17 PM
Considering the competition, really nice drop for Madagascar 3.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
06-24-12, 04:26 PM
Was it...Big?

Tom Hanks' finger, or sauce's bum hole?

sauce07
06-24-12, 05:08 PM
Tom Hanks' finger, or sauce's bum hole?

Please don't speculate on this

:lol:

wm lopez
06-24-12, 08:23 PM

Fans watch a t.v. show and the fans make a nobody into a star.
Now the star decides to make a movie and it's a hit and wants to leave the t.v. show. That hurts the t.v. show.

Why So Blu?
06-24-12, 08:33 PM
Looks like Lincoln bombed.

auto
06-24-12, 08:39 PM
Now the star decides to make a movie and it's a hit and wants to leave the t.v. show. That hurts the t.v. show.

Jesus christ dude. Really? You've got to be fucking with us.

sauce07
06-24-12, 09:17 PM

Do you realize that Steve Carrell had a career before The Office? I was shocked when he went back to TV after Anchorman and getting the lead in 40 Year Old Virgin.

Troy Stiffler
06-24-12, 09:20 PM
Do you realize that Steve Carrell had a career before The Office? I was shocked when he went back to TV after Anchorman and getting the lead in 40 Year Old Virgin.

Don't bother responding. The doctors screen all of the replies and discard the ones that might upset him.

Time Warrior
06-24-12, 10:07 PM
I think Abraham Lincoln would have worked if the tone of the film had been absolutely dead-straight.

Having now seen it I think if the film had been played with po-faced seriousness like an historical drama shot in long shots with static cameras like a Masterpiece Theatre exercise it would have worked. But any attempt at humour, intentional at least, kills something like this. It needed to be sober, straight and serious to have worked properly.

Draven
06-24-12, 10:40 PM
I can't really think of a funny moment in the whole movie. In fact, that's one of the main criticisms I've seen..the lack of "fun".

I disagree with that, but your the first person I've seen say it had too much.

onebyone
06-24-12, 10:47 PM
I just cannot imagine how Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter could've been less humorless.

Dr. Mantle
06-24-12, 11:48 PM

Movies make nobodies into stars, too. Should they only make sequels to that movie for the rest of their career?

Please count to seven. I'll wait. . . multiply that by one year and that's how long Steve Carell stayed on a TV show even though he was getting parts in big movies. Actors are not obligated to play the same character for eternity.

Or is it personal for you? Did Carell hurt your feelings when he stopped appearing in your favorite show? Do you even watch the Office? If not, why do you even give a shit?

Why So Blu?
06-25-12, 01:49 AM
George Clooney did this, but he actually became a star. Carrell is a star too, but not Clooney status. Clooney made ER the show it was. The same thing can be said about the cast of friends. They owned TV, but when they all went into movies, not one of them achieved movie star stardom like Clooney did. Hell, I don't even consider Aniston a "star." She's just hot, but her legacy will always be in television. Clooney will have TWO legacies, and Carrell's legacy, as of now, is certainly stronger in televison than in films. Yes, 40 Year Old Virgin was huge, but his other films have not been. Have we already forgotten what happened with Evan Almighty? BOMB.

J. Farley
06-25-12, 03:32 AM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was fantastic. Better than Prometheus, which is the only other film I've had any interest in so far this summer movie season. It's a pity seeing stuff like the latest Sandler shit-fest make more at the B.O.

Michael Corvin
06-25-12, 06:37 AM
Clooney did not "make" er. He was a cog in a wheel just like all the Friends cast members. The quick pacing/cutting and realistic scenarios "made" er. It was an overnight success because of that, not because of Clooney. He was a cherry on top for the female viewers.

fumanstan
06-25-12, 10:00 AM
George Clooney did this, but he actually became a star. Carrell is a star too, but not Clooney status. Clooney made ER the show it was. The same thing can be said about the cast of friends. They owned TV, but when they all went into movies, not one of them achieved movie star stardom like Clooney did. Hell, I don't even consider Aniston a "star." She's just hot, but her legacy will always be in television. Clooney will have TWO legacies, and Carrell's legacy, as of now, is certainly stronger in televison than in films. Yes, 40 Year Old Virgin was huge, but his other films have not been. Have we already forgotten what happened with Evan Almighty? BOMB.

You know, looking at Steve Carrell's box office results he's been pretty consistent all around. Even Evan Almighty still made $100 million, and its hard to pin the gigantic budget on Carrell that made it a bomb.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=stevecarell.htm

And while Clooney is a bigger star, box office wise the movies he does aren't actually a big draw outside of the Ocean's movies.

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=georgeclooney.htm

Why So Blu?
06-25-12, 10:34 AM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World was fantastic. Better than Prometheus, which is the only other film I've had any interest in so far this summer movie season. It's a pity seeing stuff like the latest Sandler shit-fest make more at the B.O.

Blame the marketing department. The same thing happened with John Carter.

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 11:08 AM
who handled the marketing on this one though?

Hokeyboy
06-25-12, 11:10 AM
Andrew Stanton :mad:

Why So Blu?
06-25-12, 11:19 AM
who handled the marketing on this one though?

The studio.

DRG
06-25-12, 12:10 PM

"There's no crying in finger rape!"

resinrats
06-25-12, 12:19 PM
Don't know why people keep mentioning the Friends stars. None of them left the show while it was still on. Same 6 people for every episode.

Ash Ketchum
06-25-12, 12:25 PM
Don't know why people keep mentioning the Friends stars. None of them left the show while it was still on. Same 6 people for every episode.

I wouldn't know. I never saw a single episode.

Hokeyboy
06-25-12, 12:43 PM
"I don't even OWN a TV..."

Tarantino
06-25-12, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't know. I never saw a single episode.

You didn't miss much.

fitprod
06-25-12, 01:50 PM
Blame the marketing department. The same thing happened with John Carter.

Having recently seen John Carter, with incredibly lowered expectations, marketing wasn't the only thing that killed the film. - It was the actual quality of the film... The first half hour is an incoherent mess, and for a two hour movie it's paced horribly.

fitprod

Why So Blu?
06-25-12, 02:34 PM
Having recently seen John Carter, with incredibly lowered expectations, marketing wasn't the only thing that killed the film. - It was the actual quality of the film... The first half hour is an incoherent mess, and for a two hour movie it's paced horribly.

fitprod

Then we saw a different movie. The film was pretty awesome.

Why So Blu?
06-25-12, 02:35 PM

Then the Clooney comparison still stands.

Solid Snake
06-25-12, 02:48 PM
Then we saw a different movie. The film was pretty awesome.

That's what I thought as well. Loved the film.

Hokeyboy
06-25-12, 07:03 PM
I gave John Carter a 3 out of 5. It starts out as awful as Green Lantern and ends up as cool as Thor. But while it has a pretty spectacular ending, it's a tough slog through that first horrible hour.

The Bus
06-26-12, 08:03 AM
It's not a bad movie.

wm lopez
06-26-12, 11:52 AM
Movies make nobodies into stars, too. Should they only make sequels to that movie for the rest of their career?

Please count to seven. I'll wait. . . multiply that by one year and that's how long Steve Carell stayed on a TV show even though he was getting parts in big movies. Actors are not obligated to play the same character for eternity.

Or is it personal for you? Did Carell hurt your feelings when he stopped appearing in your favorite show? Do you even watch the Office? If not, why do you even give a shit?
In the case of Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen I don't mind cause they went from so-so show to make great movies.
But in case like F. Fawcett like when she left CHARLIE'S ANGLES, David Caruso, the lead from SCRUBS. It hurts the t.v. show. John Travolta of course hurt the show cause but at the time he made 2 blockbuster hits.
Ron Howard left at the right time since HAPPY DAYS had jumped the shark.
This sounds like it would make a good thread. All these stars that left t.v.

Michael Corvin
06-26-12, 12:59 PM
In the case of Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen I don't mind cause they went from so-so show to make great movies.
But in case like F. Fawcett like when she left CHARLIE'S ANGLES, David Caruso, the lead from SCRUBS. It hurts the t.v. show. John Travolta of course hurt the show cause but at the time he made 2 blockbuster hits.
Ron Howard left at the right time since HAPPY DAYS had jumped the shark.
This sounds like it would make a good thread. All these stars that left t.v.

While I'm one of the few that like the last season, Scrubs had run its course(8 years) by the time Zach Braff left. Didn't hurt the show one bit. I think it improved.

WeylandYutani
06-26-12, 01:44 PM
I gave John Carter a 3 out of 5. It starts out as awful as Green Lantern and ends up as cool as Thor.

I have no idea what to make of this sentence. I haven't seen John Carter. The Green Lantern started out pretty damn good. The climax of Thor was a fucking tiny ghost town getting trashed in the middle of a nowhere desert because the production simply didn't have much money to spare.

RichC2
06-26-12, 01:49 PM
Nothing on Green Lantern was good, Thor was mildly entertaining. Haven't seen John Carter yet.

The Avengers crossed $600m domestic today, closing in on $1.45b worldwide. #3 highest grossing movie to date (unadjusted) behind #1. Avatar ($2.7b worldwide) and #2. Titanic ($2.1b worldwide).

Mr. Cinema
06-26-12, 02:33 PM
MIB 3 has quietly reached $582 million worldwide. Prometheus is up to almost $263 million worldwide. I think it'll end up with $120-$125 million in the US. I don't know what it'll take for Fox to be comfortable to greenlight the sequel. I don't know if $300 million worldwide is enough.

RichC2
06-26-12, 02:51 PM
They'll probably gauge depending on how well it does on VOD/Digital Download/Blu.

The Bus
06-26-12, 03:50 PM
Clooney did not "make" er. He was a cog in a wheel just like all the Friends cast members. The quick pacing/cutting and realistic scenarios "made" er. It was an overnight success because of that, not because of Clooney. He was a cherry on top for the female viewers.

Clooney was an attractive face in a show about doctors, which NBC smartly used to capture a female audience (see <i>Grey's Anatomy</i>).

What people in this thread forget is that <b>ER</b> was produced by Michael Crichton, who was one of the biggest names in entertainment at that point, having come off several bestsellers in a row and the huge <b>Jurassic Park</b> film.

ER's debut was marked with a huge media blitz: it even made the cover of Newsweek. (For those of you under 25, back then people actually read and bought magazines).

Ash Ketchum
06-26-12, 04:18 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055992

Variety reports that AVENGERS has crossed the $600 million mark.

Pizza
06-26-12, 07:54 PM
I had to double check the title on this thread. For a second there I thought I accidentally clicked on a TV thread instead of the Weekend Box Office.