Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brave (Pixar, 2012) - The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Brave (Pixar, 2012) - The Reviews
Loved it! Pixar delivers another classic.
30.16%
Liked it, but it fell short of the usual Pixar standard
52.38%
Meh--seemed like run-of-the-mill kids' fare
3.17%
Hated it--really disappointed in Pixar this time
7.94%
Will wait for digital/optical media
1.59%
No interest in seeing this
4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Brave is a 2012 American 3D computer-animated fantasy adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. It was written by Mark Andrews, Steve Purcell, Brenda Chapman and Irene Mecchi, directed by Andrews and Chapman and co-directed by Purcell. The film's voice cast features Kelly Macdonald, Julie Walters, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Kevin McKidd, Craig Ferguson, Robbie Coltrane and John Ratzenberger. To make the more complex visuals possible, Pixar completely rewrote their animation system for the first time in 25 years. In Brave, a skilled archer named Merida defies an age-old custom, causing chaos in her kingdom. After consulting an elderly wise woman for help, her family becomes cursed and Merida is forced to undo the spell herself before it is too late. Brave premiered on June 10, 2012 at the Seattle International Film Festival, and will be released on June 22, 2012, in North America.
Read the pre-release discussion

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEHWDA_6e3M?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEHWDA_6e3M?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-21-12, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Brave (Pixar, 2012) - The Reviews Thread

Saw this tonight. It was gorgeously shot, I really liked the lead character, and I liked the atmosphere and setting because I'm a Britphile. And fortunately, the advertising I saw did *not* reveal the main thrust of the plot. However, I really wasn't that thrilled with that plot, which at times felt like warmed-over Beauty and the Beast crossed with Brother Bear. There was a certain Ghibli-esque element to it, which I liked, but as some others have said I wasn't all that entertained by the juvenile potty humor.

I'd say B, which is disappointing for me as a Pixar fan.
Old 06-21-12, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Is it shameless of me to link to the review on Flickchart's blog since I wrote it?

I've had a week to digest the movie. I still feel that Pixar has compromised their storytelling standards with this one. One thing I didn't even mention in my Flickchart review was how clumsy are the musical montages. They're directly out of the 90s, and I can't tell if this was some kind of homage to animation conventions of the past or if it was part of their attempt to cast as wide a net as possible in hopes of pleasing some audience. I didn't mention it in my review because then it looked like I was just bashing the movie and I didn't mean to, but those musical sequences (brief though they were) were among the first complaints I heard when the movie finished playing.

I will say that I did very much like Merida as a character and I hope Pixar does something more with her. Maybe not necessarily even a sequel, but I'd be happy to see her appear in short films from time to time.
Old 06-21-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly didn't think that Pixar could do any worse than Cars 2, but this movie takes the cake. What a shitty movie.
Old 06-22-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Just came back from a midnight screening. I enjoyed this but as I was watching it, the movie felt really short, and the scale felt small. Since it was more of a personal journey, I guess that makes sense. I'll probably see it maybe one more time in theaters, but that's far from my Pixar all time 4 times for Up. Merida was a great protagonist, and the characters and scenery were well done. All the different types of curls for her hair too, man that detail was amazing. Wish there was more individual personality for the triplets, although I assume there are subtle differences upon closer inspection, in look and acting.

And yes, there is something after the credits. I didn't expect it, just wanted to sit through them.

As for the plot points, yeah I was glad that the trailers kind of kept that hidden.

Spoiler:

Had no idea about the transformation for either the mom or the triplets. Funny how I didn't see that coming considering I saw three cubs and the triplets in the promo materials.

Additionally, I didn't know that there were two bears, so I was wondering why the bear was a prominent display item at the Disney store that people can pose with as if it were a "good guy", despite it being advertised as the bad guy in other things (though they do look quite different in retrospect). So...good job on keeping it a secret.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-22-12 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 02:37 PM

I'm not sure I saw the same movie as these other guys. It was wonderful! All the kids in my theater were enchanted and didn't make a peep. I laughed and cried and had a great time and the film is very beautiful. That's an awesome movie in my book.

I can concede that if I didn't know it was Pixar, I would have said it was a Disney movie. It wasn't as sophisticated in a lot of ways as what we've come to expect from Pixar. It was a simplistic story that didn't surprise me at any point. It felt more geared towards the youngsters but I sure enjoyed it and I'm old. And I really didn't think there was a lot of potty humor. I saw several instances where they could have gone for the cheaper laugh but went a different way. But really any bad thing I have to say about it is trying to find things wrong.

The pacing was terrific for kids. It never had slow parts where their minds would wander and make them restless. I actually would have preferred it be a little more loose and have time to breathe in the gorgeousness.

The short, La Luna, was great as they always are. Solid movie experience.
Old 06-22-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I really wonder if this will rake in the cash that other Pixar films usually make. My 8 year old son has absolutely no interest in seeing this and judging from the comments of his friends his age, he is not alone. All the boys feel it is a girl's movie and I wonder if that perception will hurt it?

That being said, as an adult who has seen most of Pixar's stuff in the theater, I have to join him in his lack of interest as well.
Old 06-22-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I enjoyed this. Major props to the folks who animated Merida's hair! Unfortunately Ebert's review spoiled the main plot point but what can you do. There is something missing in this film and I just can't put my finger on what it is. I enjoyed Brave way more than Cars (I never even bothered with Cars 2) but it's not quite up there with the truly great Pixar films.
Old 06-22-12, 08:48 PM

Just came from this and i really liked it, and i went into it not expecting much from it because of the reviews. I did have some issues with a few parts in the movie which was kinda disappointing, with this being a Pixar film.

I LOVED the mother/daughter relationship, you dont often get to see things like that in movies.

small spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you ever wanted to know what Emma Thompson was like if she was a bear, This is the movie for you!
Old 06-22-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do we need spoiler tags in the reviews thread? Kind of buyer-beware in here, but what the heck.

On the final resolution, when
Spoiler:
they decide that the kids can marry for love, I was sure that at least some of the writing-producing contingent wanted to go all Mamma Mia! and make the wimpy prince say "Oh, I'm not interested in a girl anyway!" But I was just as sure that it wouldn't be allowed in a Disney movie.
Old 06-22-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a lot more man ass in this flick than I expected there to be. Not a big deal, was just surprised that this was coming from Pixar. Plus the kid jumping down that chick's cleavage, just seemed odd...
Old 06-23-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There were some funny moments and it looked wonderful, but they lost me as soon as the major plot development kicked in. I think Pixar and Disney were wise to keep it out of the trailers. Then again, had I known about it beforehand maybe I would have accepted it. The last 1/2 or 1/3 of the film is kind of predictable. I wasn't blown away by the 3D either. The short film, La Luna, was cute but nothing to get excited about.
Old 06-24-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

We both enjoyed the movie even though the short was "okay" and the movie was a little short of plot. It looked amazing and the sound was great (our theater has Atmos installed.)

One question I have is: I know Ratzenberger has his usual cameo (his character is Gordon) but I never caught his voice amongst all the Scottish accents. Guess I will have to watch it again or wait for the Blu-ray.

Last edited by TomOpus; 06-24-12 at 09:40 AM. Reason: cuz I stoopid
Old 06-24-12, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I never caught his voice amongst all the Irish accents.

<hr>

This is probably the least favorite of the Pixar movies I've seen. (I've never seen any of the Cars films and don't plan to.)

The music (which felt out of place), the inability to strike the right balance between an epic legend, bear humor (which I liked), and other parts of the story.

It's probably the most Dreamworks-y film Pixar has done.

Still glad I saw it, but it's now been two years since Up which means Pixar is in a drought.
Old 06-24-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Ah crap. That's what I get for posting at 2am.
Old 06-24-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this over the weekend with my girlfriend.

I thought it was just average, even though I loved all the Comedic notes that this film had. If anything, they were probably my favorite aspect of this film.

Other than that, I didn't really like the lead (Merida). She didn't feel very memorable to me. IMO, Pixar covered up a very shallow character with a very memorable physical attribute.

Still liked this film more than Wall-E, which is still my least favorite Pixar film (haven't seen Cars 2 yet).

I loved the short, 'La Luna' though!
Old 06-24-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Loved it. My wife and 6 year old daughter and 8 year old son agreed.

Strong characters, fun set pieces and twists, STUNNING visuals and a mother-daughter relationship we don't get in many movies.

Just outstanding in so many ways.
Old 06-24-12, 07:50 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus

One question I have is: I know Ratzenberger has his usual cameo (his character is Gordon) but I never caught his voice amongst all the Scottish accents. Guess I will have to watch it again or wait for the Blu-ray.
He made an announcement as the clans were entering the "Great Room" and was hit by the door iirc
Old 06-24-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by bcd
He made an announcement as the clans were entering the "Great Room" and was hit by the door iirc
Yep, that was him.
Old 06-24-12, 10:21 PM
Banned

Worst Pixar movie by far and one of the most boring and generic kids film I've seen. The accents were annoying and the characters were one dimensional. Not to mention the bullshit liberal and feminist themes. Can't believe how badly Pixar fell off.
Old 06-24-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thought it was really good. I actually expected to be bored but it flew by.

Oh and Kelly MacDonald's voice was the icing on the cake. She could read the phone book and turn me on.

The scene with the bear in the water catching Fish was one of the most real looking scenes I've ever seen in animation.
Old 06-25-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

0% voting for the middlemost ground on this one
Old 06-25-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Not to mention the bullshit liberal and feminist themes. Can't believe how badly Pixar fell off.
Quite the reverse; Brave was so disappointing because so little of the film lived up to those themes.
Old 06-25-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I really enjoyed this one, I thought it was much better than Cars 2 albeit the 3D was a little under-utilized. The theme was great the ending was really touching. My 9 and 4 year old loved it and my wife (and maybe me) was teary at the end.
Old 06-25-12, 08:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Loved it. My wife and 6 year old daughter and 8 year old son agreed.

Strong characters, fun set pieces and twists, STUNNING visuals and a mother-daughter relationship we don't get in many movies.

Just outstanding in so many ways.
Pretty much verbatim for me, except no 6 year old son. I thorughly enjoyed this one. Funny how people keep saying Pixar has gone with this. I'm not sure what people were expecting...maybe a famale Braveheart I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.