Old 06-20-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Dallas -- "The Price You Pay" -- 6/20/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-06-07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
J.R. decides to move back to Southfork, much to Ann's chagrin. Elsewhere, John Ross sets out to impress his father; Ewing family nemesis Cliff Barnes returns and tries to establish a bond; and stunning family news is revealed.

Guest starring Ken Kercheval

Episode 3 of 10

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ma3avKAlVww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Dallas -- "The Price You Pay" -- 6/20/12

Spoiler:
Cliff Barnes!
Old 06-20-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Cliff Barnes!
Old 06-20-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

After 21 years without Dallas, I was giddy at the thought of it back on the air. For that reason, I was beaming after last week's 2-hour premiere. And now that's over...

I wasn't very happy with tonight's episode. I didn't like that there was no mention of Cliff missing Christopher's wedding. Either Cliff should have apologized or Christopher should have made him feel bad for missing it once Cliff said he wanted to re-connect with his family. They was no explanation for where he had been or why he missed it. Just that it had been 5 years since they'd seen each other.

I don't recall Miss Ellie spending any time in a mental hospital, and I think the new writers are making that up. They shouldn't mess with the established story. Jock's first wife, Amanda, went to a mental hospital, but not Miss Ellie. And this is what made Bobby cave to John Ross? This is why he decided to sell so quickly? Not buying it.

I wish they'd move past the e-mail storyline between Christopher and Elena. It feels really juvenile.

I thought Ann overreacted when she heard a noise in the barn and grabbed her gun. Aren't there a lot of ranch hands working at Southfork in the middle of the day? Why wouldn't her mind go there first?
Old 06-20-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Miss Ellie wan't in a mental hospital, just just had a little facelift

Old 06-20-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Miss Ellie wan't in a mental hospital, just just had a little facelift

Old 06-21-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I don't recall Miss Ellie spending any time in a mental hospital, and I think the new writers are making that up. They shouldn't mess with the established story. Jock's first wife, Amanda, went to a mental hospital, but not Miss Ellie. And this is what made Bobby cave to John Ross? This is why he decided to sell so quickly? Not buying it.
This bugged me as well until Bobby's speech later on. he basically said he was tired of all this backstabbing bullshit and want to wipe his hands clean of the whole mess. Let's see how long before he has a change of heart.
Old 06-21-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I felt both Henderson and Metcalf were too quick to fly off the handle in some scenes, and I was disappointed to see John Ross acting as J.R.'s puppet. John Ross seemed stronger last week. This week, he had little to say and just followed orders. Plus, didn't he hate J.R. a week ago? I recall him shutting Bobby down when Bobby encouraged him to visit J.R. in the nursing home, and now father and son are buddy-buddy? Not buying it. I hope John Ross has something up his sleeve, like another plan to screw over J.R. in the long run. They need to build up John Ross as J.R.'s replacement as the resident villain 'cause let's face it: Larry Hagman could keel over any day.
Old 06-21-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Well, Miss Ellie DID go off with Clayton for a while, and a doctor WAS seeing her during that period. It was all happening off-screen (as Barbara Bel Geddes was taking a break from the show) and assumed that the doctor was visiting her...but it's possible she was making visits to him as an outpatient. So the mental institution slant isn't TOTALLY off-base, but it is fudging history a bit.

They mentioned in the pilot that Cliff Barnes still owed Ewing Oil...but no mention of it last night. Also, I didn't like how Cliff had to introduce himself (basically for viewers who didn't know who he was)...a smarter script would have just had JR saying "Cliff Barnes! What the hell are you doing here?!" They did it again earlier in the episode when JR said to John Ross "Your grandaddy, Jock." Like John Ross wouldn't know his name. Although I suppose JR wanted to distinguish between Sue Ellen's father - who, as far as I know, was never spoken of on the series.

Nitpicks aside, I thought last night's was the strongest of the three shows, although it's a shame they couldn't fit Linda Gray into the story.
Old 06-21-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, Miss Ellie DID go off with Clayton for a while, and a doctor WAS seeing her during that period. It was all happening off-screen (as Barbara Bel Geddes was taking a break from the show) and assumed that the doctor was visiting her...but it's possible she was making visits to him as an outpatient. So the mental institution slant isn't TOTALLY off-base, but it is fudging history a bit.

They mentioned in the pilot that Cliff Barnes still owed Ewing Oil...but no mention of it last night. Also, I didn't like how Cliff had to introduce himself (basically for viewers who didn't know who he was)...a smarter script would have just had JR saying "Cliff Barnes! What the hell are you doing here?!" They did it again earlier in the episode when JR said to John Ross "Your grandaddy, Jock." Like John Ross wouldn't know his name. Although I suppose JR wanted to distinguish between Sue Ellen's father - who, as far as I know, was never spoken of on the series.

Nitpicks aside, I thought last night's was the strongest of the three shows, although it's a shame they couldn't fit Linda Gray into the story.
That's true about Clayton. Would have made more sense, but so far there's been no mention of him. Cliff introducing himself to J.R. bugged me too. Maybe he was trying to suggest J.R. was senile or had dimentia.
Old 06-22-12, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J.R. was essentially catatonic during his stay of depression. Barnes was no doubt gaging just how "all there" J.R. was.
Old 06-22-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's true about Clayton. Would have made more sense, but so far there's been no mention of him. Cliff introducing himself to J.R. bugged me too. Maybe he was trying to suggest J.R. was senile or had dimentia.
I think Clayton was mentioned in the pilot...that both he and Ellie had passed.
Old 06-22-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

4.8M viewers and 1.3 in the demos. Still doing quite well, especially in the demos for TNT.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/138893/

It was tied with a Big Bang Theory repeat in the demos. But overall viewers was #1.
Old 06-22-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's the series premiere ratings with DVR #'s factored in:

Wednesday night's premiere of TNT's new series Dallas burst out of the gate with 6.9 million viewers in Live + Same Day, a figure that has already ballooned to 7.8 million viewers in Live + 3. The two-hour launch, which currently ranks as basic cable's most-watched scripted series premiere for the year-to-date, also garnered 1.9 million adults 18-49 in Live + Same Day (2.4 million L+3) and 2.5 million adults 25-54 (3.0 million L+3).
Old 06-22-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I wasn't crazy about this episode either. I think it would have worked better to set up Christopher's wedding, instead of having it in the first episode, and have J.R. and Cliff meeting there. And I agree that John Ross' 'blackmail' didn't make much sense.
Old 06-22-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
4.8M viewers and 1.3 in the demos. Still doing quite well, especially in the demos for TNT.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/138893/

It was tied with a Big Bang Theory repeat in the demos. But overall viewers was #1.
Still the #1 cable show on Wednesdays...it's definitely getting another season. Hopefully, they'll bring back both Ken Kercheval and Steve Kanaly as full-time cast members.
Old 06-23-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

most importantly I feared my daddy

I only vaguely remember the later seasons of the original as I was only a kid when it was on
I might just have to re-order my netflix queue
although last I checked they're missing a few seasons

sweet, a ruger 10/22 on a regular tv show
Old 06-23-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fingers crossed for a Sasha Mitchell guest spot soon.

He could swoop in, become his daddy's favorite again and make JOhn Ross evil (again) with jealousy.

I'm sure Duffy would just love to play his uncle on a third series

And, if we bring him back and acknowledge the later years, perhaps Callie can return
Old 06-24-12, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

at JR's doctor making the call to Bobby.

As soon as Bobby picked up the phone, I knew the whole thing was staged. It was still pretty funny anyways.

I'm a little confused about the whole Marta Del Sol situation. Does she know that JR and John Ross caught on to her scheme? I'm not sure that John Ross knows she's an imposter. So I'm guessing that she's working for Tony Almeida or some kind of liaison to get the deal done.

And damn, time has not been kind to Ken Kercheval. The introduction scene with him and JR didn't bother me that much. He said..."Cliff Barnes....You remember me right?" I know that was partially written to introduce new viewers to who he is, but it also tried to imply that JR was senile from his time away. I'm curious, if he runs Ewing Oil, why would he not be in Dallas?

I didn't watch the original series regularly due to my young age, but it was mentioned here that Pam disappeared. Someone said in the premiere thread that she died. Wikipedia said she disappeared due to some medical problem. Some what exactly happened to her?

As far as the e-mail storyline goes, yeah I find it weird that Christopher would believe that e-mail coming out of the blue. But, the reveal that Rebecca was behind at least gives some meat to the story. I at least want to know what her and her brother's motives are.
Old 06-24-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But, the reveal that Rebecca was behind at least gives some meat to the story. I at least want to know what her and her brother's motives are.
Everyone caught the eye glances between Cliff and Rebecca right? There's a hint here: Look up the name of Cliff Barnes' mother. His daughter? PAM's daughter?!
Old 06-24-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

at JR's doctor making the call to Bobby.

As soon as Bobby picked up the phone, I knew the whole thing was staged. It was still pretty funny anyways.

I'm a little confused about the whole Marta Del Sol situation. Does she know that JR and John Ross caught on to her scheme? I'm not sure that John Ross knows she's an imposter. So I'm guessing that she's working for Tony Almeida or some kind of liaison to get the deal done.

And damn, time has not been kind to Ken Kercheval. The introduction scene with him and JR didn't bother me that much. He said..."Cliff Barnes....You remember me right?" I know that was partially written to introduce new viewers to who he is, but it also tried to imply that JR was senile from his time away. I'm curious, if he runs Ewing Oil, why would he not be in Dallas?

I didn't watch the original series regularly due to my young age, but it was mentioned here that Pam disappeared. Someone said in the premiere thread that she died. Wikipedia said she disappeared due to some medical problem. Some what exactly happened to her?

As far as the e-mail storyline goes, yeah I find it weird that Christopher would believe that e-mail coming out of the blue. But, the reveal that Rebecca was behind at least gives some meat to the story. I at least want to know what her and her brother's motives are.
Pam crashed Bobby's famous red convertible Mercedes into a (fuel?) truck and the car exploded with her in it. That was a season finale. When the new season began, Victoria Principal was gone and someone else played Pam wrapped up like a mummy from head to toe in the hospital. Only her eyes were visible, complete with make up and still looking pretty. It was laughable. She was awake but couldn't speak. Anyway, Bobby visited her regularly until one day he showed up and she was gone. I think she left him a note, explaining that she didn't want to be a burden to him, and so he and Christopher should get on with their lives.

Some time later, Cliff tracked her down and visited her in a clinic or hospital. (He told Bobby he had found her, but Bobby respected her wishes and didn't go with Cliff to see her.) A look-alike actress played Pam with minor scars on her face. Cliff begged her to return home with him, but she told him to forget about her. After Cliff left the room, Pam turned to her doctor and said it wouldn't be fair to go home to Bobby and Christopher knowing she only has a few months to live. That was the last we ever saw or heard from Pam.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 06-24-12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Ann overreacted when she heard a noise in the barn and grabbed her gun. Aren't there a lot of ranch hands working at Southfork in the middle of the day? Why wouldn't her mind go there first?
JR was in a room that Ann said that Bobby did not let people go in.

Yes she knows, cause JR told her not to doubble cross him, and because in the other episode they would not let JR speak to her "father" and John Ross knew that she was imposter. But you would think Bobby would Google whom ever he is doing business with so that he would at least know what they looked like.

Last edited by movie diva; 06-24-12 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Everyone caught the eye glances between Cliff and Rebecca right? There's a hint here: Look up the name of Cliff Barnes' mother. His daughter? PAM's daughter?!
Hmm. Here's a theory:

The producers want to repeat history... Rebecca is Afton and Cliff's daughter, which would mean another Barnes-Ewing union. (First Pamela Barnes married Bobby Ewing, then Cliff Barnes married Jamie Ewing.) It would set up another Romeo and Juliet situation with Rebecca and Christopher coming from warring families.

Of course, this would mean cousins marrying cousins, but since Christopher is adopted they're not blood relatives. And he wouldn't know Rebecca is his cousin since Afton gave birth to her (and raised her) outside of Dallas and cut all ties to Cliff (on the show). (The reunion movie with Afton and her daughter doesn't count since the producers are telling us they're ignoring those movies.)

Tommy could be Rebecca's half-brother (Afton's son with another man), just like Cliff was Pam's half-brother... or not. Tommy could just be Rebecca's boyfriend who dreamed up the whole scheme.