Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rainy Day/Having The Blues Viewing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rainy Day/Having The Blues Viewing

What movies or tv shows do you put on to cheer yourself up when you have the blues or it's a rainy day and there's nothing much to do ? For me, Little Giants is one of the big movies that can always cheer me up. Also, tv and movies from when I was a kid, like Saved by The Bell, X-Men the animated series, and Batman the animated series really go a long way to making me feel better.
Old 06-20-12, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rainy Day/Having The Blues Viewing

My best-of Kylie Minogue DVD, which is basically a ported VHS from the early 90s (it's all pre-"Confide In Me"-sexy-Kylie-stuff). Cheesy and lovely.

One time I was really sick for a few days and I posted on facebook "man, I really want to see Bugsy Malone." My sister found it for me. On Blu-ray. My memories from Catholic school are sketchy, but I'm pretty sure that's grounds for sainthood.

"Spaced" is never not funny, and I've seen it so much now that the familiarity is comforting.

But the best thing to watch? Something I haven't seen before, something I've dragged my feet over. Some years back I finally watched Cinema Paradiso. I immediately wanted to go back in time and spit on the idiot who waited so long to watch it.
Old 06-20-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
What movies or tv shows do you put on to cheer yourself up when you have the blues or it's a rainy day and there's nothing much to do ? For me, Little Giants is one of the big movies that can always cheer me up. Also, tv and movies from when I was a kid, like Saved by The Bell, X-Men the animated series, and Batman the animated series really go a long way to making me feel better.
I always have stuff to do, so it's a matter of when I'm in a depressed mood and need something to get me out of my head. Japanese pop music videos do the trick, usually from Hello! Project. Sometimes I just want to see people kicking each other's asses, so I put in a classic kung fu film, pretty much anything with "Shaolin" in the title. Sometimes I want to see cowboys on horses, a-ridin' and a-shootin', so I put in a western. And sometimes an episode of "Pokemon" does the trick.
Old 06-20-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to gravitate towards the "classics" on days like that, by which I mean the gamut of 80s teen comedies/horror films .
Old 06-21-12, 04:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I go with Bull Durham. A day at the old ballpark always cheers me up.
Old 06-21-12, 06:06 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Those of you who lived in the Detroit, Michigan area know that the ABC Affiliate (WXYZ) used to have a Movie at 4:00 PM. There were times they'd "Theme" the week, showing Movies of a certain genre during a week. Examples included Science-Fiction Week, Godzilla Week, Planet of the Apes Week, Lassie Week and so on. I have most of these Movies on DVD Today, so every now and then I'll recreate a Themed Week, WITHOUT the Commercials!
Old 06-22-12, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Put me down for 80s teen flicks and horror movies.

For some reason I really like to do a Jennifer Connolly triple feature of Labyrinth, Seven Minutes in Heaven and Career Opportunities.
Old 06-22-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ready to Rumble. It's not a great film by any means but it brings back memories from when I was a kid and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.
Old 06-22-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

When I need a lift, I usually gravitate toward either romance or cartoon. Casablanca and You've Got Mail usually do the trick. I also love just popping in a disc of Batman: The Animated Series and sitting back for some nice action and animation.
Old 06-22-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

2 comedies that make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them

Some Like it Hot
Young Frankenstein
Old 06-22-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Rainy day? What's that?
Old 06-22-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rainy days don't give me the blues, I like to watch Bogart films on those days. Days I have the blues, usually sitcoms... MASH, Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore, WKRP
Old 06-22-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

on crappy days when im stuck in the house bc of weather *like today* i have a few favorites that i watch like goonies, monster squad, and oddly enough really bad movies from Asylum or worse

like today i watched troll 2 and birdemic
Old 06-22-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Amelie, True Romance, Army of Darkness and Dazed and Confused immediately comes to mind.

Originally Posted by wishbone
Rainy day? What's that?
It's a metaphor for when life kicks you square in the balls.
Old 06-23-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breakfast at Tiffanys.

"No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling? "

helps remind me to check which one i have, and self medicate appropriately.

Roadhouse, esp with Kevin smith commentary. I must be in some trouble if i cannot laugh at the discussion of "some old coot/codger , in a onesie"

i actually like the rain, so rainy day for me = go outside and frolic. "having the blues" is a different bottle entirely(for me).