Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Intouchables (France, 2012)

jfoobar
06-18-12, 01:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hsPHXVnt27g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Noticed that the one theater local to me that ever shows indie/foreign language stuff has this one playing. Looks like one of those films that could be pretty good or could be a soppy, overly-sentimental mess from the trailer.

However, saw these stats:

As of 25 November 2011, after four weeks, The Intouchables had already become the most-watched film in France in 2011[10] After sixteen weeks more than 19 million people saw this film in France, The Intouchables was the second most-seen French movie of all-time in France, and the third including foreign movies. On 10 January 2012, "The Intouchables" set a record, having been number one for ten consecutive weeks since its release in the French box office.

As of 20 May 2012, the film has done well in several other European countries, topping charts in Germany for nine consecutive weeks, Switzerland for eleven weeks (S.German 11, S.French 8, S.Italian 6), Austria for six weeks, Poland for three weeks, and Italy Spain & Belgium for one week.[11]

On 20 March 2012 The Intouchables became the highest-grossing movie in a language other than English with $281 million. It broke the previous record set by the Japanese film Spirited Away ($274.9 million).[12]

Currently 77% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Even some of the comments from positive reviews point to it being schmaltzy:

"The movie, while inherently patronizing, is frisky and mostly likable."

"Enjoy this movie for what it is - the kind of motion picture that can cause Champagne-like giddiness - and don't obsess over how true-to-life this work of fiction is."

"The material is programmed to stimulate funny bones and tear ducts in a reassuring alternating pattern."

"Not a great film but a warm one that pushes the viewer's emotional buttons so deftly it feels like a massage."

and my favorite, from A.O. Scott:

"It is possible to summarize the experience of watching "The Intouchables" in nine words: You will laugh; you will cry; you will cringe."

Anyway, the film probably does deserve its own thread, so here it is.

mrhan
06-18-12, 03:43 PM
I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it was good. The last quote pretty much sums up the movie.

Dan
06-18-12, 04:39 PM
I saw it last Thursday at a free screening. I thought it was really good. There's some beautiful cinematography and the two lead actors are perfect. I didn't watch the trailer beforehand, so I was expecting a very "talky" drama. It was not that. I'll definitely be buying it on Blu-ray, but this movie is great to see in a packed theatre if you can.

TheBang
06-18-12, 08:10 PM
It's a nice film. Definitely soppy and emotionally manipulative, but it's still nice nonetheless. I think some of the soppiness gets a pass because it's based on a true story. The actors are likable and give good performances.

PopcornTreeCt
07-28-12, 07:18 PM
I saw this today and went into it literally knowing nothing about the plot. I've never done that before and I was pleasantly surprised. It is like the everyone is saying, emotionally manipulative but it works and feels more authentic then a lot of other movies that have tried it.

The Bus
12-07-12, 07:32 AM
Saw this tonight. Was expecting a boring, formulaic mess. Instead I got a delightful, formulaic gem. Really entertaining and highly recommended.

Watch it now before your mom does and makes you see it.

sleepyhead55
12-07-12, 05:45 PM
I saw this a while back and really enjoyed it. Yeah, it follows a formula but the lead actors give good performances. And the soundtrack was pretty catchy. I will probably get this when it comes out on bluray in 2013.

MrSmearkase
12-08-12, 08:46 AM
Saw the trailer on a rental DVD the other day. Looks pretty charming.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/34WIbmXkewU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>