Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tori Amos - Gold Dust (October 2012)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-11-12, 12:04 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From http://www.toriamos.com/news.html

A NEWLY ARRANGED & RECORDED COLLECTION
CELEBRATING 20 YEARS AND SPANNING THE ENTIRE TORI SONGBOOK

FEATURING THE METROPOLE ORCHESTRA

TO BE RELEASED OCTOBER 2012

Tori has re-imagined a personally hand-picked collection of songs spanning her entire catalogue with the thirteenth studio album, Gold Dust. Produced by Tori with arrangements by long-time collaborator John Philip Shenale, the new album features re-workings of songs in orchestral settings, which Tori recorded in the studio with the renowned Metropole Orchestra, conducted by Jules Buckley.

"My relationship with all of these songs has changed over the years and they have changed my life. So it wasn't just about capturing the past it was about realizing that the songs had a new narrative now - 10 or 20 years later than they did when I originally recorded them," Tori comments.

Tori will also be doing a very limited number of amazing orchestral shows.

For more information visit www.toriamos.com
Old 06-11-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Tori Amos - Gold Dust (October 2012)

I honestly think "orchestral versions" of old songs is my least favorite musical trend ever. Peter Gabriel's one was so, so boring.
Old 06-11-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I honestly think "orchestral versions" of old songs is my least favorite musical trend ever. Peter Gabriel's one was so, so boring.
I agree. How disappointing that Tori continues to slip away like this. What a great time it is to have gone back to her roots, stop with playing characters or having an entire theme to her albums and make something closer to Little Earthquakes or From The Choirgirl Hotel.

That said, I've never not bought a Tori album and I won't start now. With fans like that, she probably has little motivation to make another great album.
Old 06-12-12, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I agree. How disappointing that Tori continues to slip away like this. What a great time it is to have gone back to her roots, stop with playing characters or having an entire theme to her albums and make something closer to Little Earthquakes or From The Choirgirl Hotel.

That said, I've never not bought a Tori album and I won't start now. With fans like that, she probably has little motivation to make another great album.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention, didn't she just do a CD of reworked versions from her entire songbook with Tales of a Librarian? So now she is doing it again?

Please Tori...stop with the "characters", stop with the reworking old songs, and go back to being Tori.

Of course like dolphinboy said, I'll buy it anyway.
Old 06-12-12, 04:20 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Even though "orchestral versions" is by no means a new concept, Peter Gabriel was exactly who lept to mind as well. Am I the only one that thinks that in her weaker moments Tori Amos just copies whatever Peter Gabriel has done? Only when she steps out of copying him does she make something amazing.
Old 06-13-12, 05:59 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Metallica popped into my mind. This new Tori album has possibilities, I guess, since her piano will be front and center in these arrangements. I thought her last album was a step up from the previous few efforts, but it is hard to believe how long ago her 90s output is now.
Old 06-13-12, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
Metallica popped into my mind. This new Tori album has possibilities, I guess, since her piano will be front and center in these arrangements. I thought her last album was a step up from the previous few efforts, but it is hard to believe how long ago her 90s output is now.
Really, you liked Night of Hunters? That was the first one where I finally admitted that everyone was right and she's lost it. I just couldn't get into that one at all, and I tried. Weird (and slightly creepy) thing was, the best part of that album was her daughter's vocals. That girl can sing already.

Everything before that I enjoyed at least somewhat. Loved Scarlet's Walk and everything before that. Everything since had moments of greatness but never quite there for me. NoH was a huge disappointment. I get what she was trying to do and didn't mind the style, but it just wasn't very good. Even the lyrics just didn't have that Tori feel to them.

That said I'm going to relisten to it again today now for the first time in a while and see if my opinion changed any. Maybe it will grow on me...it's happened before.

I do agree that as long as her piano is front and center, there is potential. This could be really wonderful if done right, but after NoH I'm weary. I just wish she'd stop recycling the old stuff and make great new stuff.
Old 06-13-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
Really, you liked Night of Hunters? That was the first one where I finally admitted that everyone was right and she's lost it. I just couldn't get into that one at all, and I tried. Weird (and slightly creepy) thing was, the best part of that album was her daughter's vocals. That girl can sing already.

Everything before that I enjoyed at least somewhat. Loved Scarlet's Walk and everything before that. Everything since had moments of greatness but never quite there for me. NoH was a huge disappointment. I get what she was trying to do and didn't mind the style, but it just wasn't very good. Even the lyrics just didn't have that Tori feel to them.

That said I'm going to relisten to it again today now for the first time in a while and see if my opinion changed any. Maybe it will grow on me...it's happened before.

I do agree that as long as her piano is front and center, there is potential. This could be really wonderful if done right, but after NoH I'm weary. I just wish she'd stop recycling the old stuff and make great new stuff.
I didn't like Night of Hunters at all either. I'm not even interested in listening to it again.

Scarlet's Walk was wildly inconsistent (too many songs), but it was the last album Tori released that had more than one or two good songs.

If Tori wants to keep it up with the throwaway releases, she should put out a box set of her live covers.
Old 08-30-12, 10:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First song/video from upcoming cd.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYjveoD7eIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The video is a bit different. But overall I enjoyed the song. It will be interesting to listen to the rest of the CD once released.
Old 08-30-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably buy this despite my disappointment Tori has chosen to mess around with old songs instead of possibly making one last great album. Or at least try.

I'm also disappointed with the choice of songs.

1. Flavor
2. Yes, Anastasia
3. Jackie's Strength
4. Cloud On My Tongue
5. Precious Things
6. Gold Dust
7. Star Of Wonder
8. Winter
9. Flying Dutchman
10. Programmable Soda
11. Snow Cherries From France
12. Marianne
13. Silent All These Years
14. Girl Disappearing

Flying Dutchman is probably the most exciting song of the bunch and the closest thing to one of her "hits" would be Silent All These Years. There are a number of songs here that I don't even know and I own all of Tori's albums. She didn't need to do only hits, but mixing in 3 or so would have been throwing a bone to the fans who are "tolerating" this lack of original material release again.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 08-30-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
Weird (and slightly creepy) thing was, the best part of that album was her daughter's vocals. That girl can sing already.
I guess I'm the only Tori (sortof) fan that thinks that her daughters' singing was not so good, and shoehorning them on an already awful album made it even worse. I think that NoH was the first Tori album that I simply was not able to finish listening to, I hated it that much.

But, much like Dolphinboy, I feel some strange obligation to buy the new album. Hopefully it'll appear on one of the mp3 sites where I have credits.

-jason
Old 08-31-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vryce
First song/video from upcoming cd.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYjveoD7eIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The video is a bit different. But overall I enjoyed the song. It will be interesting to listen to the rest of the CD once released.
You know what's sad? I didn't recognize the song, so I went to Amazon to see which album it's from -- and when I found it, Amazon said that I already own a copy. Sure enough, it's in my iTunes library. I must've bought a copy when it was a Deal of the Day and never listened to it. We've come a long way since the day I skipped class so I could buy Choirgirl on release day.
Old 08-31-12, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
I guess I'm the only Tori (sortof) fan that thinks that her daughters' singing was not so good, and shoehorning them on an already awful album made it even worse. I think that NoH was the first Tori album that I simply was not able to finish listening to, I hated it that much.

But, much like Dolphinboy, I feel some strange obligation to buy the new album. Hopefully it'll appear on one of the mp3 sites where I have credits.

-jason
You're not the only one. I don't think her daughter can sing at all...ugh.