Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Kill Bill - Your take (recommendations)

B5Erik
06-10-12, 11:37 AM
Tarantino's films have been kind of hit or miss for me.

I LOVE Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds, but I'm not a big fan of Reservoir Dogs and for me Pulp Fiction was just OK. I love Tarantino's script for True Romance.

So what about the Kill Bill movies? What is your take on them?

I see them on sale every now and then, and am tempted to pick them up, but given that I find Reservoir Dogs to be a little too over the top with it's vicious violence and way over the top with it's use of profanity (unnecessarily so in both cases), I'm not sure if I should get them or not. Where does Kill Bill fit in with this stuff?

I do enjoy some of the movies that Tarantino is a fan of (several Sonny Chiba movies, for example)...

TomOpus
06-10-12, 11:57 AM
I think the violence and language of "Reservoir Dogs" fits well with the story and characters.

Personally, I really like both KB movies. There might be a couple scenes that you might think the violence is over-the-top. Why not rent or try to catch them on cable?

Also shouldn't this be in the Recommendations section? :)

Solid Snake
06-10-12, 12:14 PM
I'll never own KB until we finally fucking get TWBA. It's like a goddamn dream by now w/ that thing.

Also I don't think you may have understood what kind of people the guys in RD were. Their cursing seems fitting for what you get out them. Backgrounds, the way they act, etc etc. Also...the violence is actually not what wild.

Mike86
06-10-12, 12:28 PM
If you thought Reservoir Dogs was too violent, Kill Bill (particularly Volume 1) has a lot more. So if you aren't into that type of thing it might not be for you. I like all of Tarantino's output thus far though and would say he hasn't put out a movie not worth seeing.

I'll never own KB until we finally fucking get TWBA. It's like a goddamn dream by now w/ that thing.

Also I don't think you may have understood what kind of people the guys in RD were. Their cursing seems fitting for what you get out them. Backgrounds, the way they act, etc etc. Also...the violence is actually not what wild.
I'd love to see The Whole Bloody Affair too eventually. I picked up the individual Blu-ray releases for now though pretty cheap.

Jules Winfield
06-10-12, 12:30 PM
Kill Bill is good. If you have a problem with over the top violence, you might not like it. Heads are lopped off, arms sliced off and it's filled with fighting. It's highly stylized and frantic. Kill Bill 2 calms down a bunch but still has a good share of violence. There's not as much cussing as Reservoir Dogs but it still has good dialogue. Definitely watch it before buying it because you seem to not like the over the top violence of RD and that's totally a Tarantino trademark.

Pizza
06-10-12, 12:33 PM
If you don't like "over the top...vicious violence" then I'd stay away from Kill Bill. I'm a little confused that you love Jackie Brown but feel that his other films are "way over the top with it's use of profanity (unnecessarily so in both cases)." Also, in my opinion Pulp Fiction is his greatest film.

NIMH Rat
06-10-12, 12:35 PM
My take on Kill Bill is that it's almost entirely taking place in the fantasy life of the Uma Thurman character, who is a violent pop culture junkie with an overactive imagination, seeing herself as part of a massive mediated revenge epic when in fact she's a single Mom (like Quentin's) trying to make ends meet and do right by her kid.

In other words, a near-totally autobiographical work, Tarantino-style.

inri222
06-10-12, 12:52 PM
IMO Kill Bill 1 & 2 are my least favorite Tarantino films.
A mixed tape of shout-outs to spaghetti westerns (Sergio Leone/Sergio Corbucci), European & American exploitation/horror (Arne Vibenius/Russ Meyer/Lucio Fulci),
Chinese & Japanese action cinema (Toshiya Fujita/Kinji Fukasaku/Seijun Suzuki/Lo Wei/Jimmy Wang Yu).
Pure style over substance and IMO his least personal film.

If I had to rank his films

Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Death Proof
Kill Bill II
Kill Bill I

mrhan
06-10-12, 01:57 PM

Yeah, I'll never pick up the BDs because I've been waiting for TWBA, too; even if they end up in the $5 bins. I think I will stick to my Japanese boxsets for the forseeable future. Part 1 is more interesting to watch in all color. The gore is hilarious.

Guru Askew
06-10-12, 03:28 PM
My take on Kill Bill is that it's almost entirely taking place in the fantasy life of the Uma Thurman character, who is a violent pop culture junkie with an overactive imagination, seeing herself as part of a massive mediated revenge epic when in fact she's a single Mom (like Quentin's) trying to make ends meet and do right by her kid.

In other words, a near-totally autobiographical work, Tarantino-style.

I prefer Tarantino's take.

Solid Snake
06-10-12, 04:17 PM

this

Ky-Fi
06-10-12, 04:42 PM
I'm a huge old-school Shaw Brothers kung fu fan, and have also seen a pretty fair number of Japanese swordplay movies from the 50s-70s, and I didn't care for the Kill Bill movies at all. They felt to me like Tarantino just took all the surface stuff from those movies, and stripped away all the Chinese or Japanese cultural stuff that many of those movies were rooted in. Tarantino is undeniably skilled at putting scenes together, but the KB movies just kind of felt like empty calories to me compared to a lot of the movies that inspired him to make it.

PatD
06-10-12, 04:43 PM
I much prefer Tarantino's films from the 90s. "Reservoir Dogs"; "Pulp Fiction"; and "Jackie Brown" are far more nuanced in every aspect and frankly more adult in their mentality.

Then there was this massive chasm between 98 to 02 where QT hadn't directed anything. He seemed to undergo some strange metamorphosis.

In 2003, it's more than obvious than Tarantino got caught up in his own hype with the opening of "Kill Bill volume 1" when in the opening credits he actually puts "THE 4TH FILM BY QUENTIN TARANTINO" Puh-leez.

And that's how it's been: "Kill Bill"; "Death Proof"; "Inglorious Basterds"; and most likely "Django Unchained" (from what I've seen from the trailer) are all attempts to play to the fanboy crowd. You want cartoony ultra-violence? You got it! You want long-drawn out pop culture-laced screeds? There you go! You want a story with substance? Look elsewhere.

The best proof I can come up with is his attitude to onscreen violence. Watch the "Stuck in the Middle with You" scene in RD. It's ghoulish and perverse, but it's done with a sense of deadly seriousness. Now, QT would do it for cheap laughs for a desensitized mindset.

Will QT ever get out of this phase and do something like "Jackie Brown" again? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.

NIMH Rat
06-10-12, 06:03 PM

Which is?

Solid Snake
06-10-12, 06:08 PM
Not your take.

Supermallet
06-10-12, 06:11 PM
Inglorious Basterds
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Death Proof
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Reservoir Dogs

auto
06-10-12, 07:46 PM
That's a pretty good list actually.

inri222
06-10-12, 07:48 PM
I much prefer Tarantino's films from the 90s. "Reservoir Dogs"; "Pulp Fiction"; and "Jackie Brown" are far more nuanced in every aspect and frankly more adult in their mentality.

Then there was this massive chasm between 98 to 02 where QT hadn't directed anything. He seemed to undergo some strange metamorphosis.

In 2003, it's more than obvious than Tarantino got caught up in his own hype with the opening of "Kill Bill volume 1" when in the opening credits he actually puts "THE 4TH FILM BY QUENTIN TARANTINO" Puh-leez.

And that's how it's been: "Kill Bill"; "Death Proof"; "Inglorious Basterds"; and most likely "Django Unchained" (from what I've seen from the trailer) are all attempts to play to the fanboy crowd. You want cartoony ultra-violence? You got it! You want long-drawn out pop culture-laced screeds? There you go! You want a story with substance? Look elsewhere.

The best proof I can come up with is his attitude to onscreen violence. Watch the "Stuck in the Middle with You" scene in RD. It's ghoulish and perverse, but it's done with a sense of deadly seriousness. Now, QT would do it for cheap laughs for a desensitized mindset.

Will QT ever get out of this phase and do something like "Jackie Brown" again? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.

I gotta agree with this. Even though I like some of his films & think he is very talented, the man is too full of himself.
He needs to direct something that he did not write ala Cronenberg with Eastern Promises & A History of Violence or Aranofsky with The Wrestler & Black Swan.

gmanca
06-10-12, 08:02 PM
I got a bit tired of his stylings in Inglourious Basterds as there were a few too-cute-by-half moments, like when Pitt says the line about fighting in a basement, and repeats it for effect. Stuff like leaves less room for focusing on nuance.

Tarantino
06-10-12, 09:03 PM
I love Kill Bill. In comparison, I rank the flicks this way...

Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill V1
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill V2
Death Proof

antspawn
06-10-12, 09:04 PM
I think Kill Bill movies got more of a female fan base. Dozens of my female friends would talk so much about them.

I personally thought they were boring as fuck.

AndyCleveland
06-10-12, 10:38 PM
i love every single second of both films. can't imagine liking Jackie Brown and not liking Kill Bill.

dhmac
06-10-12, 11:35 PM
I personally rank his movies...

Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Basterds
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Reservoir Dogs
Death Proof (note: I prefer the long cut, but either cut would still rank in this spot)
Jackie Brown

Yeah, Jackie Brown is, by far, my least favorite QT movie. It's too much of a love letter to Pam Grier and I think it's the only film of his that is rather bloated and really could have benefited from tighter editing (even though that would've taken away some pointless scenes from QT's beloved Pam).

My Other Self
06-10-12, 11:42 PM
Inglourious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill, Vol. 2
Kill Bill, Vol. 1
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

I had a hard time getting through Death Proof. It's just a real bore considering I'm a fan of Tarantino films and know what the man is capable of. Jackie Brown I've only seen once so I may have to re-watch it but my list had pretty much been unchanged since IB came out.

PatD
06-10-12, 11:42 PM
I personally rank his movies...

Yeah, Jackie Brown is, by far, my least favorite QT movie. It's too much of a love letter to Pam Grier and I think it's the only film of his that is rather bloated and really could have benefited from tighter editing (even though that would've taken away some pointless scenes from QT's beloved Pam).

Huh?

Kill Bill is *way* more bloated; so bloated that it had to be edited into *two* films! For example: that whole anime scene introducing O-Ren was totally superfluous. And "Death Proof"? Don't get me started on the pointless yammering in that.

My Other Self
06-10-12, 11:48 PM
And "Death Proof"? Don't get me started on the pointless yammering in that.Tarantino can be dialogue heavy but the opening to Death Proof is just a total bore. I thought the action would never start.

B5Erik
06-11-12, 10:23 AM
If you don't like "over the top...vicious violence" then I'd stay away from Kill Bill. I'm a little confused that you love Jackie Brown but feel that his other films are "way over the top with it's use of profanity (unnecessarily so in both cases)."
With the violence in Reservoir Dogs some of it was vicious. The ear thing, for example, that was basically torture. The violence in that one seemed more mean spirited and cruel than in some other movies where it's either self defense or a means to an end.

As for the language, the use of profanity in RD seemed to be gratuitous, whereas in Jackie Brown (or True Romance, for that matter) it came across as a little differently. I don't know - RD was a good movie, but very unpleasant.

I don't mind violence in movies, I just thought there was an element of cruelty and viciousness that took it over the top in RD where in other movies it's just part of fight/battle scenes where even bloody violence with guys heads being lopped off makes sense. I'm not big on torture scenes that are graphic.

But, like I said, I loved Jackie Brown, thought Pulp Fiction was pretty good, loved Inglourious Basterds, and I'm looking forward to Django.

And I love samurai movies and good martial arts movies as well. (Sonny Chiba kicks ass!)

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 11:47 AM
Well...the ear scene was a torture scene. Also...it's not really graphic. It's all what you make of it. I'd be pretty fucking mad and cursing wildly if shit like that went down, in fact..I'd be the guy to kill them all. Their cursing was fine.

NIMH Rat
06-11-12, 01:27 PM
Not your take.

Solid Snake, bringin the substance. :)

Draven
06-11-12, 01:30 PM
I heard so much about the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs before I saw it that when I finally did I was like...that's it? They didn't even show what he did. There are more graphic examples of torture in plenty of random movies (or even shows like 24). Never understood why this one stood out.

I like Kill Bill 1 a lot. I like parts of Kill Bill 2 but as a whole it's a "worse" movie. And it didn't need to be as long as it was. The movies could have easily been 2 hours together.

I rank Tarantino like this:

1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Jackie Brown
5. Death Proof
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Kill Bill 2

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 01:41 PM
probably because Blonde was enjoying it a lot and w/ the music.

RichC2
06-11-12, 01:58 PM
I thought Kill Bill 2 was superior to the initial volume, but I'm in the minority there. Kill Bill Vol 1 oozes style but I think I like the idea of it more than I actually like it. I find individual elements to be great, but found a lot of the action scenes to be a bit boring and overlong and several scenes to be needlessly extended (any scene with Hatori Hanzo, the crazy 88 fight).

Kill Bill Vol 2 felt like the actual guts to the story, it had build up, character, wit, and a satisfying ending. It's the better overall movie, though it could stand a little additional editing. Kill Bill Vol 1 had a better soundtrack.

For me -
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Kill Bill Vol 2
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Death Proof
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Kill Bill Vol 1
7. Jackie Brown

They're all pretty memorable though, and that's more than I can say of most directors. But then I also always defended Death Proof because for some reason I was never bored by it, and I thought it was a pretty good deconstruction of horror movie motives, followed up by a good little gory scene, a fun chase, and a satisfying ending.

Lastblade
06-11-12, 02:10 PM
Back in the day, I used to like vol 1 a lot more than vol 2. Last year, I rewatched both and enjoyed 2 way more. Must be me getting old.

bluetoast
06-11-12, 02:20 PM
I too never bought the DVDs or the Blu-rays because of the TWBA thing. Though I'm considering it since the price is so low. I saw Vol. 1 numerous times, but still have only seen part 2 one time all the way through, I should see it again sometime.

B5Erik
06-12-12, 11:48 AM
My impression is that the violence in the Kill Bill movies is more cartoonish than in RD (relatively speaking). Is that an accurate impression?

RichC2
06-12-12, 12:12 PM
Far more cartoonish.

islandclaws
06-12-12, 12:33 PM
I love Kill Bill as a whole story, but individually I think Part 1 is the strongest of the two. There's nothing as visually striking as the House of Blue Leaves fight in the snow.

LickTheABCs
06-12-12, 12:56 PM
Count me in as one who thinks Vol. 2 is just a smidge better than Vol. 1. I guess it usually depends on which you like more, anime and martial arts films or westerns and Italian horror films. That's kinda how I felt.

I'd personally rank QT:

Inglorious Basterds, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Reservoir Dogs

I totally get the complaints about Death Proof, but I was probably in the minority and thought it was easily the better of the two Grindhouse flicks and this coming from a massive zombie movie fan. Yeah, it's all talky but the last 40 or so minutes are just outstanding.

Pizza
06-12-12, 01:03 PM
Pulp Fiction
Pulp Fiction
Pulp Fiction
Pulp Fiction
Pulp Fiction
Pulp Fiction
Everything else

DaveyJoe
06-12-12, 01:16 PM
Kill Bill marked the end of my love for Tarantino. He got caught up in his own hype and lost any sense of restraint, and Mirimax capitalized on that at the expense of the fans. There are moments of brilliance in the Kill Bill films, but they are few and far between. There is simply not enough substance to justify the run time and spreading the story over two films.

After two movies I walked away without taking anything significant from the films. It basically spent 3.5-4 hours glorifying revenge. I saw it around the same time as Oldboy, which totally blew Kill Bill out of the water in half the time. Oldboy portrayed revenge as all-consuming and self-destructive, it was beautiful, disturbing, and thought provoking, because there was a compelling story to back up all of the violence and virtuoso direction. Kill Bill just felt like Quentin patting himself on the back for 4 hours.

He's an excellent director, he really knows how to mesh music with striking visuals, but until he starts focusing more on substantive stories, he's wasting my time.

movie diva
06-12-12, 01:21 PM
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Kill Bill V1
Kill Bill V2
Inglourious Basterds
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

This is how I rank his movies, Jackie Brown is not one of my favorites, but everytime I watch it, it grows a little more on me, did not like Death Proof at all. The things that I like Tarantino movies is the blood and gore and the cartoonie feel of the movies.

inri222
06-12-12, 01:42 PM
Kill Bill marked the end of my love for Tarantino. He got caught up in his own hype and lost any sense of restraint, and Mirimax capitalized on that at the expense of the fans. There are moments of brilliance in the Kill Bill films, but they are few and far between. There is simply not enough substance to justify the run time and spreading the story over two films.

After two movies I walked away without taking anything significant from the films. It basically spent 3.5-4 hours glorifying revenge. I saw it around the same time as Oldboy, which totally blew Kill Bill out of the water in half the time. Oldboy portrayed revenge as all-consuming and self-destructive, it was beautiful, disturbing, and thought provoking, because there was a compelling story to back up all of the violence and virtuoso direction. Kill Bill just felt like Quentin patting himself on the back for 4 hours.

He's an excellent director, he really knows how to mesh music with striking visuals, but until he starts focusing more on substantive stories, he's wasting my time.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

B5Erik
06-12-12, 01:57 PM
Would any of you consider True Romance to be a, "Quentin Tarantino Movie?"

The direction is somewhat different from what Tarantino may have done, but the story and the dialogue are pure Tarantino.

And if you did consider it one of his movies (kinda, sorta), where would you rank it among his films?

Lastblade
06-12-12, 02:10 PM
I don't consider TR a QT movie. He would have changed the ending and I think it would have been a stronger film. I still like it a lot though.

Ash Ketchum
06-12-12, 02:57 PM
My impression is that the violence in the Kill Bill movies is more cartoonish than in RD (relatively speaking). Is that an accurate impression?

That's accurate. RESERVOIR DOGS' violence is disturbing. It's messy, not fun. KILL BILL VOL 1's violence is spectacular and exciting and way over-the-top, inspired by kung fu, anime and samurai movies. I love KBV1. I saw it four times on the big screen and multiple times on DVD, including the Japanese cut. It's my favorite Tarantino movie and one of my favorite movies of the 21st century.

Oh, and btw, I think of TRUE ROMANCE as a QT movie also.

inri222
06-12-12, 03:20 PM
Would any of you consider True Romance to be a, "Quentin Tarantino Movie?"

No I would not. Tarantino has a different directing style than Tony Scott.
Tarantino most likely would have used different music, different editing style and a different cast & crew.
He would have put homages to every "lovers on the lam" film from Breathless to Badlands to The Getaway to Zabriskie Point, etc....

Shazam
06-12-12, 03:28 PM
Inglourious Basterds far surpasses KB1/2. I think it's his best work by far. KB1/2 are fluff.

Julie Walker
06-12-12, 04:01 PM

I think Tarantino still films violence effectively and doesn't go for 'cheap laughs for desensitized minds'. The violence in Inglourious Basterds was pretty intense and powerful when it did hit, like in the opening sequence among others. It was brief, but intense and handled wonderfully in my opinion.

Kill Bill Volume 1 definitely has cartoonish 'fun' violence, but that was fine for that films tone and it worked. Volume 2 went for a more restrained take, and the few bits of explicit violence, namely the 'eye' sequence had a harsh brutal quality to them that wasn't 'fun' to view and you could tell the character was in extreme pain despite the character being evil. And that's a pretty effective moment, even if I still don't like Volume 2 completely.

And while I was mixed on Tarantino's Kill Bill films(namely Volume 2) and Death Proof and thinking he was losing his skills. I was completely blown away by Inglourious Basterds, which is both a very mature piece of work, as well as quite hilarious when it needs to be and was just entertaining and gripping from beginning to end. So I think he hasn't let it all go to his head just yet, and stills has the skills to tell a story his way without pandering to a fan boy crowd.

And Tarantino still did use dark humor in violent scenes in his earlier films. But not all the violence was 'funny', but some moments in a few scenes were played for laughs.

For example, the 'Marvin' scene from Pulp Fiction was played for laughs despite the grim violence that happened(a guys head was 'accidentally' blown off in the car splattering his brains all over the place). It was situational absurd comedy of the darkest variety, but it worked. So you can't tell me Tarantino never had that dark sense of humor to violence in his earlier films compared to his more recent films. Sometimes the violence is deadly serious and grim, and sometimes it's used for darkly humorous effect. He is always pushing buttons with the violence in terms of how audiences react towards them. So I don't think he has changed in that regard.

RichC2
06-12-12, 04:35 PM
Tarantino is a pro when it comes to bringing gravitas to scenes. Even when it came down to Sin City, he directed one scene, and that turned out being one of the most memorable scenes (in part because Clive Owen's character starts speaking his narration, instead of narrating it, and in part because it was Benicio del Toro, with a gun lodged in his forehead, and Owen in a car.).

B5Erik
06-12-12, 09:10 PM
Well, I took a chance and I bought KB 1 & 2 in a blu ray double set (the two movies in individual packages shrunk wrapped together) at Target for only $14.99. I figure If I don't like them I can always ebay them for at least $10 (and probably get my $15 back).

I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch them, but I'll post what my thoughts are.

I'm still curious as to where you would rank True Romance among Tarantino's films (as in, how good is it relative to the films he HAS directed)?

I'd rank them like this...

Jackie Brown
Inglourious Basterds
True Romance
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

Now that's all I've seen so far, and while I'll definitely catch Django in the theater my thoughts on Tarantino are incomplete at this point.

Solid Snake
06-12-12, 09:34 PM
I'd probably put TR pretty high just because of the Hopper/ Walken scene. That bit is perfect.

johnnysd
06-12-12, 11:49 PM
I think Pulp Fiction is by far and away his best film, and I think I like Reservoir Dogs second.

I think Jackie Brown is really dull. I don't get the one. Definitely my least favorite

FRwL
06-13-12, 01:40 AM
Dogs is Tarantino's best, i'm a sucker for heist flicks, and this features the best cast of his movies, yes even over Pulp's cast. Roth/keitel/Madsen > Willis/Jackson/Travolta. The latter they somehow succeeded in getting the 3 most annoying "stars" of all time together while the former showcases an underdog and two up and comers who knocked it out of the park in 1992. The continuous shot of Blonde going out and back in the wharehouse is 90s zeitgeist.

OutRun2
06-13-12, 04:28 AM
There is no fucking way anyone in this thread should take the OP seriously with that post. Didn't like RD and thought PF was just "OK"? LMFAO.

Ash Ketchum
06-13-12, 06:50 AM
Well, I took a chance and I bought KB 1 & 2 in a blu ray double set (the two movies in individual packages shrunk wrapped together) at Target for only $14.99. I figure If I don't like them I can always ebay them for at least $10 (and probably get my $15 back).

I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch them, but I'll post what my thoughts are.

I'm still curious as to where you would rank True Romance among Tarantino's films (as in, how good is it relative to the films he HAS directed)?

I'd rank them like this...

Jackie Brown
Inglourious Basterds
True Romance
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

Now that's all I've seen so far, and while I'll definitely catch Django in the theater my thoughts on Tarantino are incomplete at this point.

The time you spend posting is better spent watching KILL BILL 1 & 2. I don't want to hear another word out of you until you've watched both of them in their entirety. :D

B5Erik
06-13-12, 09:35 AM
The time you spend posting is better spent watching KILL BILL 1 & 2. I don't want to hear another word out of you until you've watched both of them in their entirety. :D

I can't exactly do that with my 12 year old daughter around...

I'll have to watch part 1 this weekend after my wife goes to bed, too (she couldn't believe that I bought the set - not her kind of thing).

I am very curious about KB, though, and have been for a while.

Ash Ketchum
06-13-12, 10:54 AM
I can't exactly do that with my 12 year old daughter around...

I'll have to watch part 1 this weekend after my wife goes to bed, too (she couldn't believe that I bought the set - not her kind of thing).

I am very curious about KB, though, and have been for a while.

When my daughter was 14 she went to her first R-rated movie, accompanied by a friend the same age and nobody older, and it was John Woo's FACE/OFF. She loved it and I couldn't very well complain since I'd long had a shelf full of John Woo's Hong Kong movies on display at home. Like they say, the apple never falls far from the tree.

I took my 15-year-old nephew to see KILL BILL VOL. 1 when it came out and my sister protested at first, but I managed to prevail. This kid doesn't get fazed at anything and is not much of a movie buff. I asked what he thought of it and he said: "It was okay...I guess. It's a movie." He takes after his father, a Deadhead from rural Virginia.

RichC2
06-13-12, 10:57 AM
15 is a tough age as it was cool to think everything was lame, especially in the late 90s/early 00s.

He's got to be around 25 by now, any changes in movie taste?

Ash Ketchum
06-13-12, 11:01 AM
15 is a tough age as it was cool to think everything was lame, especially in the late 90s/early 00s.

He's got to be around 25 by now, any changes in movie taste?

Not that I know of. He's in Virginia so I hardly see him. He's not a film buff like my other nephews, with whom I get into frequent arguments about films like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, THE DARK KNIGHT, INCEPTION and UP. They're all Chris Nolan fanboys, like so many in their generation.

RichC2
06-13-12, 11:05 AM
Hahah yeah, I can imagine there are some good arguments derived from that.

Solid Snake
06-13-12, 11:30 AM
I'd actually would love to hear some audio out of an Ash vs. nephews movie discussion.

Ash Ketchum
06-13-12, 11:36 AM
I'd actually would love to hear some audio out of an Ash vs. nephews movie discussion.

Next family gathering, I'll arrange for a recording. :D

SterlingBen
06-14-12, 02:44 AM
Had this framed recently

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3058/dsc00024se.jpg

Answer your question about my inclination towards Kill Bill?

golden_rod
06-14-12, 07:14 AM
I feel that all of Tarantino's output pales in comparison to Jackie Brown; I saw it in theaters opening day and it's been one of my favorites ever since. He certainly lucked out when casting Pam Grier & Robert Forster, their chemistry was beyond electric.

mrhan
06-14-12, 09:31 AM
Had this framed recently

I like the way they made it to look like the ETD poster.

http://illustractiongallery.com/3712-6394-large/enter-the-dragon--japanese-style-b-.jpg

Dr. DVD
06-14-12, 12:41 PM
I find KB #1 more of an entertaining and stylish action movie than anything else. It's one that I can pop in if I want some light entertainment. I think #2 is superior as a movie in terms of character and dialogue. They actually do work better as different movies IMO, as #1 is quite fast paced compared to #2. I also liked the anime bit. :shrug:

Jackie Brown is a movie you have to see a few times. I think an article in EW put it best in that you had to get over the fact that it wasn't Pulp Fiction, which was kind of hard to do at the time of its release. I now think the dialogue is just about as good as Fiction.

True Romance is Tarantino's dialogue in someone else's movie. Natural Born Killers retained so little of what QT wrote that I wouldn't count it. His original script is worth a read though.

Death Proof is the only work of his I can truly say I don't care for. It has its moments, but I wanted more horror. Not a bunch of women talking and a guy who happens to be a killer. It was such a letdown after the fun ride that was Planet Terror.

Basterds is another I had to see twice. Waltz stood out both times, but I was looking for something more along the lines of Dirty Dozen. When I watched the movie knowing what it was (that it would go for close to an hour without even showing the Basterds), I liked it better.

Jules Winfield
06-14-12, 12:58 PM
There is no fucking way anyone in this thread should take the OP seriously with that post. Didn't like RD and thought PF was just "OK"? LMFAO.

Had this framed recently

What is your address? I need to go over to your abode and steal your poster.

B5Erik
06-16-12, 04:28 AM
OK, so tonight I was in a multi-car accident and kind of wound up. I needed to relax, so after my daughter went to bed I popped in Kill Bill Vol 1. That's relaxing, isn't it?

Well, actually, it is, in a way.

Damn, but that was a cool movie. It was totally what I expected, and completely different from what I expected. It wasn't unpleasant (like Reservoir Dogs was at times), it was fun - as much fun as you can have waching people have their limbs and/or heads cut off. ;) It was also extremely stylish with a lot of great visual touches. Tarantino is definitely a talented filmmaker.

I was surprised by how much I liked Uma Thurman. She carried the part off well. The rest of the cast was good, too. Tarantino seems to have a way with actors, too.

The script wasn't over the top, it was well written for this kind of thing. The plot is ultra simple, and the character doesn't develop much, but that's not the point. This is an excercise in style, and on that count Tarantino scored.

It was nice seeing Sonny Chiba (I already knew he was in it, but it was nice to see him in the movie). I would have loved to see him in a fight scene, but just having him in the movie was cool.

Yeah, my initial feeling about Kill Bill was all wrong, and my suspicions lately (without having seen it yet) that I had completely misjudged the movie were correct.

Good movie. Very good.

Part 2 tomorrow night (if all goes according to plan - and I don't get run over by a bus or something).

Ash Ketchum
06-16-12, 07:18 AM
I'm happy that you saw it and liked it. I just wish a car accident wasn't required to make it happen.

B5Erik
06-16-12, 10:20 AM
I'm happy that you saw it and liked it. I just wish a car accident wasn't required to make it happen.
Oh, I would have watched it anyway (either last night or tonight). It was just the right movie at the right time...

TomOpus
06-16-12, 10:26 AM
Part 2 tomorrow night (if all goes according to plan - and I don't get run over by a bus or something). Keep in mind Vol 2 is somewhat different but, IMO, in a good way. As you can see by the comments people can be split by both movies. I really liked both but many didn't care for the second one. Happy viewing and stay indoors!

B5Erik
06-17-12, 10:27 AM
Vol. 2 - definitely what I expected given the comments here.

It's good, very good in spots, but it does seem a little bloated, a little padded. It's a nice counterpoint to Vol. 1, but I think that there's probably 15 minutes or so that could have been trimmed. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm definitely in the camp that likes Vol. 1 more than Vol. 2, but both are ejoyable.

I'm glad that I bought the set. Good stuff.

Throwing Copper
06-17-12, 03:39 PM
I've been holding out for a Kill Bill special edition or whatever....

Is that ever going to happen or should I just buy Vol 1 & 2 for cheap on BD?

Mike86
06-17-12, 03:57 PM
Honestly after watching them again the other night back to back I don't really know how much I want to see The Whole Bloody Affair version. I thought the two films work really well each standing alone. They're really entirely different types of movies and I don't really see how putting them together would really make anything better. I like Volume 1 slightly more just because it's an all out nonstop action film and is just fun to watch.

mrhan
06-18-12, 03:49 PM
Honestly after watching them again the other night back to back I don't really know how much I want to see The Whole Bloody Affair version. I thought the two films work really well each standing alone. They're really entirely different types of movies and I don't really see how putting them together would really make anything better. I like Volume 1 slightly more just because it's an all out nonstop action film and is just fun to watch.

Spoilered for the few who haven't watched it.

Well, it would change the dynamic of the story in the end because we would be as surprised as Kiddo to find out that her child was still alive, because the whole reveal at the end of vol. 1 would have been cut out. It would have just gone on to the next chapter after Kiddo closes the trunk lid of the car.

mrhan
03-16-13, 11:47 AM
If anyone is in Philly their going to have a screening of TWBA.

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/242295-kill-bill-whole-bloody-philadelphia/

TWO SCREENINGS:
Friday, June 21 at 8:00pm
Saturday, June 22 at 8:00pm

Solid Snake
03-16-13, 07:39 PM
Still waiting for the BD release of it. A hopeless thing but I still hope.

inri222
03-17-13, 12:04 AM
For the millionth time IMO Kill Bill Is QT worst film. If you want a reason let me know and I will give it to you.

Solid Snake
03-17-13, 12:24 AM
Sure. Spew it out. I've got time to read your reasons.

FRwL
03-17-13, 12:47 AM
Tarantino was better with his crime saga. His cartoony movies since then have been , cartoony.

Terminal
03-17-13, 05:19 AM
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are superb masterpieces, but I prefer Vol. 2 for the ace writing, personally.

inri222
03-17-13, 02:22 PM
I think that QT is a very talented filmmaker who can get carried away with some of his ideas and gets too full of himself. IMO Kill Bill is some kind of self congratulatory porn film. It is something he put together so that he can jerk off while repeating to himself "Quentin Jerome Tarantino you are the coolest mother fucker ever". A big giant "mixtape" of unrestrained style with very little substance.

OutRun2
03-18-13, 10:48 AM
I think that QT is a very talented filmmaker who can get carried away with some of his ideas and gets too full of himself. IMO Kill Bill is some kind of self congratulatory porn film. It is something he put together so that he can jerk off while repeating to himself "Quentin Jerome Tarantino you are the coolest mother fucker ever". A big giant "mixtape" of unrestrained style with very little substance.

what kind of a white guy has "Jerome" as his middle name? :lol:

Oliver Clothesoff
03-21-13, 04:21 PM
If anyone is in Philly their going to have a screening of TWBA.

http://www.ticketfly.com/event/242295-kill-bill-whole-bloody-philadelphia/

TWO SCREENINGS:
Friday, June 21 at 8:00pm
Saturday, June 22 at 8:00pm

Tried to get public tickets today and these sold out ridiculously fast. no dice for me.

Mattflix
03-21-13, 04:55 PM
I'm a big Tarantino fan, Kill Bill included. Volume 1 works much better for me, but Volume 2 is a slower one with a Western feel. It can be difficult to see after the excitement in the first one, but I think it's fine nonetheless..

As far as The Whole Bloody Affair, I agree that I can't see this as one movie. The two have their own feels and are tributes to different genres.

I'd initially skipped both because I was turned off by early reports that he split the movie into two volumes just for the sake of making money. I still really wanted to see them, so I eventually picked up both volumes used and watched them together.

And yes, I consider True Romance to be a Tarantino film. Watching Tony Scott's filmography, I think it's his best but it doesn't feel like a Scott film. Also consider the continuity Tarantino laces throughout all of his movies (the Vega brothers, etc.). The Bear Jew from Inglourious Basterds is the father of producer Lee Donowitz from TR, and in Reservoir Dogs, Harvey Keitel mentions memories of a girl named Alabama.

inri222
03-21-13, 07:57 PM
And yes, I consider True Romance to be a Tarantino film. Watching Tony Scott's filmography, I think it's his best but it doesn't feel like a Scott film. Also consider the continuity Tarantino laces throughout all of his movies (the Vega brothers, etc.). The Bear Jew from Inglourious Basterds is the father of producer Lee Donowitz from TR, and in Reservoir Dogs, Harvey Keitel mentions memories of a girl named Alabama.

IMO except for the dialogue, True Romance feels like a Tony Scott film.
And IMO it is Scott's second best film.

Here's some interesting stuff :

http://wiki.tarantino.info/index.php/True_Romance

True Romance was originally a script entitled Open Road written by QT along with Roger Avary back in their Video Archives days.
It was later adapted into two separate movies, the other being Natural Born Killers. Tarantino sold the True Romance script to
Tony Scott for $50,000 using the cash to fund his own directorial debut Reservoir Dogs. Tony Scott re-arranged the layout
of the film and had Roger Avary re-write the ending. Tarantino's original ending can now be seen on the Special Edition DVD.
Upon it's release in 1993 it was a box office flop, not finding true notoriety until the rise in popularity of Reservoir Dogs.

Ash Ketchum
03-22-13, 10:58 AM
Question about TRUE ROMANCE, since it was brought up here and it's not worth starting a new thread for...

In the scene where James Gandolfini is looking for the two leads (Slater and Arquette) and he shows up at the house and only Floyd (Brad Pitt) is there, who tells him where to look for them and then asks him if he wants to smoke a bowl, this is followed by a cut to the next scene, so we don't know if Gandolfini takes him up on the offer, or kills Floyd, or simply walks away. I remember reading the script many years ago, but I don't recall if there was any more to that scene than what we see in the finished film. Does anybody have any idea what might have happened next in that scene if there hadn't been a cut?

No reason for asking except that I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Mattflix
03-22-13, 11:25 AM
Question about TRUE ROMANCE, since it was brought up here and it's not worth starting a new thread for...

In the scene where James Gandolfini is looking for the two leads (Slater and Arquette) and he shows up at the house and only Floyd (Brad Pitt) is there, who tells him where to look for them and then asks him if he wants to smoke a bowl, this is followed by a cut to the next scene, so we don't know if Gandolfini takes him up on the offer, or kills Floyd, or simply walks away. I remember reading the script many years ago, but I don't recall if there was any more to that scene than what we see in the finished film. Does anybody have any idea what might have happened next in that scene if there hadn't been a cut?

No reason for asking except that I'm just curious.

Thanks.

It was definitely vague in the final film. They threaten Floyd with the shotgun (followed by his hilarious retort of simply "oh"), then he gives what he knows and it cuts away. They might have wanted to cover themselves by killing the witness, but I like to think they wouldn't consider Floyd to be a threat and leave him to smoke his bowl in peace.

One thing that bugs me about True Romance is that Clarence's father is killed and he never finds out about it. A major event there.

RichC2
03-22-13, 11:40 AM
what kind of a white guy has "Jerome" as his middle name? :lol:

It's popular down south, I know 3 white guy country types that have that middle name.