Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What Are Some Good Tribute Bands ?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

There are a lot of tribute bands out there, so I was wondering which ones are the really good ones?

And if you are not sure what is meant by "Tribute Band" - it's a band that plays the music of a well-known band or performer and tries to play the music so it sounds authentic to the original (which is what makes it different from just a cover band). A lot of tribute bands even dress up as the the original, but that's not really necessary - only sounding as much like the original as possible is.
Old 06-09-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: What Are Some Good Tribute Bands ?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Rain who are a tribute Beatles band. They obviously aren't the real deal but truthfully I think they're okay. My aunt saw them in Las Vegas and got me a CD at their show of a live performance and it's okay. From pictures I've seen it seems like they have a pretty elaborate tribute and with the different song eras will dress appropriately for whatever particular era of Beatles they're performing.
Old 06-09-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen Rain but I did see another Beatles Tribute band named Abbey Road LIVE! and was impressed by how good they are. I may need to catch Rain the next time they tour here because they do seem like they are probably even better.
Old 06-09-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Badfish is a pretty well known Sublime tribute band. Their drummer and I were friends growing up.
Old 06-10-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Roger Waters was a little disappointing live after seeing the Australian Pink Floyd Show. Great PF tribute.
Old 06-10-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Unauthorized Rolling Stones are pretty fun.
Old 06-10-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I haven't seen Rain but I did see another Beatles Tribute band named Abbey Road LIVE! and was impressed by how good they are.
I saw Abbey Road LIVE! last weekend, and with a string and horn section in tow, they played Sgt. Pepper from start to finish. That alone would've been a helluva show, but they kept going after that, and it wound up being right at a three hour performance! They're the real deal for sure, and it's cool that they do such a tremendous job of recreating the Beatles' music without settling into an impersonation. I'd see them again in a heartbeat, although I'd miss the horns and strings if that was just for this tour.
Old 06-10-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

'Classical Mystery Tour' are a Beatles band that play with a full orchestra. Pretty cool!
Old 06-10-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I cant stomach "wigs and costumes" tribute bands... which is why I avoid them and instead catch Fab Feaux every time they're in town. Unbelievably great. Seen them four times and they never disappoint.

I also really love the Australian Pink Floydshow, but I just wish they played less Gilmour-era McFloyd. Four songs from that period but only one from Piper at the Gates of Dawn? Blasphemy...
Old 06-10-12, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Guns N' Roses....
Old 06-10-12, 02:47 PM

Mini Kiss are better than Kiss has been since Dynasty.
Old 06-10-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Back In Black in the north Texas area is probably the best I've seen. Brian Johnson era that is. It's almost like the real thing without the exploding cannons and inflatable devil.
Old 06-12-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get The Led Out is playing here later this week. Has anyone seen them?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7-NHHjJjpo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7-NHHjJjpo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 06-12-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Lez Zeppelin is a pretty good all-girl Led Zep tribute band.
Old 06-12-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Lez Zeppelin is a pretty good all-girl Led Zep tribute band.
They are good, I've seen them a couple times. But I found this video from another all-female Zep tribute, and they sound even better!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xH-_9cwdLug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-13-12, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw Kiss Army a couple of years ago at the state fair. For $5 it was an excellent show. They've been together for 20 years or so, so it's a well-polished act.

Old 06-13-12, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected]
They are good, I've seen them a couple times. But I found this video from another all-female Zep tribute, and they sound even better!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xH-_9cwdLug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yep, seen this one too. Those girls are pretty hot!
Old 06-13-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I've seen Cheap Trick perform Sergeant Pepper which I guess makes them a tribute band and a really good one.

I've also seen Led Zepagain and Rolling The Stones. I thought they were pretty good.
Old 06-15-12, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did see ZoSo in concert and they are a great Led Zeppelin tribute band. And I think their dressing like LZ circa 1973 really works in their favor at their live shows.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5G8ryfIcvG4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5G8ryfIcvG4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Tde7a8Ebko?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Tde7a8Ebko?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQLIyUAfmUI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQLIyUAfmUI?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4XZEyHp0FA?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x4XZEyHp0FA?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NLwX-aXsCjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dhmac; 06-16-12 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added more clips of the band
Old 06-15-12, 08:03 PM

It's amazing listening to all these Zep tribute bands play their songs to almost a T. Sort of makes Jimmy Page's guitar playing ALMOST obsolete...I hate to say.

Altho that lead singer of Zoso seems to have a hard time reaching Plant's high notes...
Old 06-16-12, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
It's amazing listening to all these Zep tribute bands play their songs to almost a T. Sort of makes Jimmy Page's guitar playing ALMOST obsolete...I hate to say.

Altho that lead singer of Zoso seems to have a hard time reaching Plant's high notes...
I think this ls common among tribute bands: matching the instrumental sound seems to be near perfect, but matching the vocals tends to seem a bit off. It make me think that singing just like someone else is much, much tougher than anything else in music.
Old 11-11-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

They seem kind of cheesy but I saw Hollywood U2 on AXS

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3f6n9Bf8Nnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-11-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend Ron Cougar Mellencamp (the fourth-best John Cougar Mellencamp impersonator in Indiana.)
Old 11-11-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

The Iron Maidens - All female band tribute to Iron Maidens. They pretty good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1HTxDOYEHBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>