General Lee - William Petersen
General Meade - Dwight Yoakam
General Pickett - Noah Wyle
General Ewell - Walton Goggins
General Hooker - Neal Mcdonough
John Brown - Stephen Lang
General Johnston - Powers Boothe

About:

American soil is under attack, the nation engaged in its most unpopular war. The population is divided on every political and social issue. In the White House, sits the most hated President in American history—believed by more than half the citizens to have stolen the election to his first term; when he runs for his second term, he will barely beat a war hero Democrat who campaigns on a popular anti-war platform. Inept generals will make a mockery of predictions of easy initial victory; in Congress, anti-administration committees will convene to investigate the conduct of this war. As the war drags on over years (instead of months), the United States will lose its overseas allies while introducing the world to weapons and tactics more devastating than ever before seen… Yet, at the end of it all, the color barrier between black and white in America will be transformed forever and our nation will become a beacon of hope to the world.

The similarities between now and then are startling and provide a wonderful contemporary, unique lens for historical drama.

Dramatically, it can be viewed as JOHN ADAMS meets BAND OF BROTHERS: a historically accurate series that thrives upon the emotional lives of American icons against a backdrop of a war that has never been accurately or fully portrayed.

Kickstarter is now Live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ent-miniseries

Here are some helpful websites:

Official Website

Ultimate Fan Blog

To Appomattox IMDB

Last edited by superdeluxe; 04-16-14 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-08-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: To Appomattox (S: O'mara, Lewis, Petersen, Wyle) -- Kickstarter live 4/16

Also it was stated that Filming had started in April 2012, and was suppose to last for 20 weeks. Quite the production.

I wonder what network will pick this up. The thought is that HBO was not in the bidding, even though it looks like a HBO production (Four of the actors were also from Band of Brothers!)
Old 06-08-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I really look forward to this one. I hope it gets picked up soon.
Old 06-08-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not familiar with big budget television projects..Do they get made first before being picked up by a distributor?
Old 06-08-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a blog post by one of the History experts and he responds to some of the questions and concerns that history buffs had:

Last week, I was asked to join the list of historical consultants for the upcoming mini-series To Appomattox. The series is being written and produced by Michael Beckner, who has been the driving force behind a number of popular movies and television series. The series is intended to focus on the people who fought the Civil War, and not necessarily on the battles themselves. The series has Ulysses S. Grant as its focus, but it is as comprehensive a look at the Civil War as any eight-hour series could hope to be. All of the major engagements east of the Mississippi River are covered, some in more detail than others.

There has been some criticism of this series because it will include cameo appearances by a number of NASCAR drivers and country music performers. I have to admit that I had some of the same questions then too, but I now understand. The NASCAR drivers and country music performers are all folks who have a deep and abiding interest in the Civil War, and many, if not most, of them have ancestors who fought. They’re enthusiastic supporters and participants in order to pay tribute to their ancestors, and I respect that motivation a great deal. None of them will have a major role; serious, talented actors like William Petersen will play the important roles.

The cast associated with this series largely consists of A-list talent. Again, many of them had ancestors who fought, and many are involved to pay tribute to those ancestors. As just one example, Bill Paxton, who is a well-respected actor, has been cast to play Stonewall Jackson. If you didn’t know the back story, that casting choice might be easy to criticize. However, when you learn that Bill Paxton had an ancestor who fought under Jackson in the Stonewall Brigade, then the choice makes a lot of sense. My understanding is that he asked to play Jackson as a result. I believe that may of the other cast members have the same or similar motivations.

Some of the best known names presently working in Civil War history have signed on as historical consultants for this series, including Ed Bearss, Gordon Rhea, Scott Hartwig, Mark Snell, and lots of others, and my good friend and writing partner, J. D. Petruzzi, is the primary historical advisor. All of us are determined to make certain that this story is told as accurately and as fully as possible within the operative parameters. I know that’s my primary motivation here, and I likewise know it’s J.D.’s because we’ve discussed it at length.

I have read the scripts of all eight episodes and have provided feedback on all. I can’t get into specifics, so I won’t. You will just have to take my word for it that I’m impressed with Michael Beckner’s devotion to getting it right and to telling the story as accurately as possible. In some places, some literary license sis needed to keep things moving along, and I’m sure that some hardcore Civil War buffs will be bothered by that. However, while I have pointed out a few things, I am generally very impressed with the level of accuracy involved and with how well Mr. Beckner has portrayed the interpersonal relationships between the key players to this Greek tragedy.

Filming begins in April and will continue for several months. The series is planned to air in 2013. I’m honored to have been asked to be part of it, and I have taken my responsibility of trying to insure that the story is told as accurately as possible very seriously. As more details become available, I will pass them along.

http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=2914
Old 06-08-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Though more than 18 months old, intent if to Appomattox is successful enough to have 2 more seasons:

If ratings are high enough and the network deems TO APPOMATTOX successful "business," we plan to continue following the characters through two more "seasons." These would cover "Reconstruction" then "The Indian Wars." That's where we'll find (God willing) Grant's world tour.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-08-12 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

JACKSON'S DIVISION, Brig.-Gen. William B. Taliaferro :—First Brigade, Brig.-Gen. E. F. Paxton; 2d Va., Capt. J. Q. A. Nadenbousch; 4th Va., Lieut.-Col. R. D. Gardner, Maj. William Terry ; 5th Va., Lieut.-Col. H. J. Williams; 27th Va., Lieut.-Col. J. K. Edmondson; 33d Va., Col. Edwin G. Lee.
Bill Paxton requested to play stonewall Jackson as his great grandfather served under him
Old 06-09-12, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing that has me worried is the number of "Country Music Superstars" that are in the cast. What the hell?
Old 06-09-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Only thing that has me worried is the number of "Country Music Superstars" that are in the cast. What the hell?
All the country music stars have a deep interest in this. And the two with most prominent roles are actually actors as well
Old 06-09-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dwight yoakim is known for his role in sling blade and the newton boys. Trace Adkins Was in the Lincoln lawyer and is well known in the civil war community for his interest and passion in history. Rascall flatts are in charge of making the sound track
Old 06-09-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Country star Trace Adkins is fronting a new campaign to preserve America's Civil War battlefields. The "Chrome" singer appeared at a hearing before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment and Related Agencies at Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, April 14 and highlighted the need for emphasis on preservation over the next five years, during the 150th anniversary period.

adkins told the politicians that he grew up with stories of his great-great grandfather Henry T. Morgan's military service in Louisiana, and that spurred a life-long love of Civil War history. He tells WENN, "American battlefields serve as monuments to what can happen when political wisdom fails and our differences are allowed to escalate beyond reason."

Alongside Civil War Trust president James Lighthizer, Adkins declared these years of the Civil War sesquicentennial anniversary "the opportune time to redouble efforts to forever protect these hallowed grounds".
Old 06-09-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is also on the board of directors for the civil war trust
Old 06-09-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
All the country music stars have a deep interest in this. And the two with most prominent roles are actually actors as well
Honestly, I don't give a fuck how strong their interests are if they can't act for shit. I know some of them are also actors, but there are many in that list that aren't. It's really odd.
Old 06-09-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Honestly, I don't give a fuck how strong their interests are if they can't act for shit. I know some of them are also actors, but there are many in that list that aren't. It's really odd.
These are mostly minOr roles, It's really not that odd. Maybe they are contributing on the soundtrack, do they were given very small roles. Maybe with them attached to the project it helps with sponsors (more press awareness, fan interest)

Last edited by superdeluxe; 06-09-12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picture of Karina Bustillos some behind the scenes voice over work:

Most of the photos are from a voice over session we did when creating some promotional material for our investors, producers, and other people involved in the production. Phil Conserva of CSI, and one of our producers, directed the session, and we were able to wrangle several of our actors to lend their voices. Had a blast doing it too.
Old 06-11-12, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm no Civil War historian, but that photo doesn't look accurate to me.
Old 06-11-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm no Civil War historian, but that photo doesn't look accurate to me.

Old 06-15-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stephen Lang is at a Lincoln Forum spoken at Gettysburg 11/18/11.

Actor Stephen Lang portrayed James Jackson Purman - a Union first lieutenant who received the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Gettysburg. Mr. Lang presented Lieutenant Purman as if he were speaking in 1913 on the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. After the performance, Mr. Lang took questions about his career as an actor playing roles from various military eras in television and film, and in his one-man play Beyond Glory, based on a book by journalist Larry Smith. In his introduction Mr. Holzer talked about the 50th anniversary commemoration of the battle.

"Beyond Glory" was a program at the 16th annual Lincoln Forum Symposium, held November 18, 2011, at the Wyndham Hotel in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. "Lincoln and the Home Front: The Civil War Comes to Washington" was the second year of a five-year focus on the Civil War sesquicentennial.
After the performance of speaking of Lieutenant Purman at the 50 year anniversary in 1913, he answered questions about his other historical work (Gettysburg, Gods and Generals). He talks specifically about To Appomattox at the 43 minute mark.

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/AGett

Stephen Lang starts to speak as the soldier at the 7:23 mark.
Old 06-16-12, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Several sketches from Mark Maritato of the Generals and their uniforms for the show:

General Grant:

General Lee:

More at the Facebook album for To Appomattox.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5736309&type=1
Old 06-17-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put a question to several of the actors in regards to how the actors will get ready portraying historical figures.

Jason o'mara was the first to respond:

@smashmode: @williamzabka @jason_omara @dicksp8jr how do you guys prepare to play historical figures?#toappomattox @ToAppomattox

“@jason_omara: .@smashmode good question. 9/10, the first and most important step is to grow a beard.”

@smashmode: @jason_omara how long does that take Jason? #toappomattox @ToAppomattox

“@jason_omara: .@smashmode for me, around 24 hours. You set 'em up, I knock 'em down!”
Old 06-18-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Rob Lowe ... Ulysses S. Grant
Interesting casting. I love him on Parks and Rec, but he's literally the last actor I would have thought of to play Grant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Xjka07o1-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-10-14, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So this project has been in development hell for the last 3 years, after following several leads and having them fall through or having the studios really wanting to change the essence of the story for marketing purposes, this project is going to head to Kickstarter starting April 16th.

Cast continues to constantly change due to time constraints (for example, Rob Lowe just got a new series pick up so he had to bow out). I'll be adding more details as I get them.

Variety Article from this morning:

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...er-1201154598/

Updated Website:

http://www.toappomattox.com/

Major Casting Changes:

Jason O'mara in, Lowe out for Grant
William Petersen in (possible), Will Patton out for Lee
Stephen Lang is out for Lincoln, But in for John Brown (Avatar scheduling)
Damien Lewis in, William Petersen out for Sherman.
Bill Paxton out for Jackson.

I fully expect other high caliber actors to fill the roles of Jackson, Lincoln etc.
Old 04-10-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I hope this happens (as long as its good).
I always thought Damien Lewis would be perfect as Sherman
Old 04-14-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I hope this happens (as long as its good).
I always thought Damien Lewis would be perfect as Sherman
I think it will be, I've read the script and the team is definitely doing right with the history of these generals and the era in general.

Bestselling and Award-winning Historian and Novelist Thomas Fleming wrote of my entire 10 hours of screenplay:

"Michael - I am mesmerized by what you've done. This is American history as it should be seen and understood -- a riveting mix of friendship and antagonisms, of hopes and disappointments, among men who are making the history and ordinary people who are living with the often appalling but somehow uplifting outcome... You are going to transform America's understanding of the Civil War.
They have some heavy hitters in regards to Historical consultants involved in making sure everything is right with the production. (Standards, flags, buttons etc).

Even though the Kickstarter has not launched yet I have had a chance to look at some of the rewards and it is a pretty good list of 'stuff' and 'experiences'. Pretty much something for everyone.
Old 04-14-14, 11:18 PM
Banned

These are mostly minOr roles, It's really not that odd. Maybe they are contributing on the soundtrack, do they were given very small roles. Maybe with them attached to the project it helps with sponsors (more press awareness, fan interest)
Yeah, it's not like those Cash/Nelson/Jennings/Kristofferson 'buddy' westerns (especially annoying was the one about Jesse James & the remake of Stagecoach)...or the Kenny Rogers "Gambler" films that featured country stars such as Reba Mac in major roles. If they have a cameo covered up in a long beard, it's not going to be distracting. And Yoakim has earned accolades for some of his performances. He's an acting pro now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.