Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bronx Bull aka Raging Bull 2

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-07-12, 05:08 PM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Soooo....apparently this is happening...
Featuring a laundry list of 2nd tier and character actors, RAGING BULL 2, is currently filming in Los Angeles. The prequel/sequel mash-up is written and directed by Martin Guigui (CATTLE CALL, BENEATH THE DARKNESS) and stars William Forsythe (THE ROCK) as Jake LaMotta, as famously portrayed by Robert DeNiro in director Martin Scorsese's renowned RAGING BULL.

The rest of the cast includes James Russo, Joe Mantegna, Natasha Henstridge, Penelope Ann Miller, Alicia Witt, Paul Sorvino, Robert Davi, Tom Sizemore, Bill Bellamy, and Ray Wise.

The story is described as "both a prequel as well as a sequel to satisfy those fans who wonder about Jake LaMotta’s past and where he is now."

Like it or not, Raging Bull 2 is currently filming with William Forsythe, Joe Mantegna, and Natasha Henstridge, | Movie News

I'm sure that director Martin Guigui has his heart in the right place for this, but the fact that this is happening without DeNiro or Scorsese is tough to swallow, especially after such an iconic performance from both. It's like ROBOCOP without Peter Weller (yeah, we saw how that turned out) or THE MASK without Jim Carrey.
In an interview with the Calgary Herald, the director and star talked about their involvement in the project:

“My first reaction when I was offered it was ‘No, this is sacred ground,’ ” said Guigui. “Then I read the book, Raging Bull II, and then I met Jake. When I met Jake that sealed the deal.”

Forsythe addressed the "hate press" that hit with the news of RAGING BULL 2, saying, "I understand that because it’s such an iconic, beautiful and amazing first film — one of the great films maybe of all time. But our story has a lot more heart and I think it’s a beautiful depiction of who Jake really is. It’s the full spectrum. If you hang out for 10 minutes with Jake you’ll find out two things: He has a heart as big as this room and he has a great sense of humour.”

LaMotta gave his blessing to the sequel, saying, "“Who else has that done? Of course I’m excited. Two movies, one after the other, could you believe a thing like that? I’d never have believed it in a million years. But they think it’s interesting enough to do it. They must know something.”

I'm not so sure about that, Jake. But, we'll see.

RAGING BULL 2 is currently filming and will set to be released in theaters sometime in 2013.
Old 06-07-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Raging Bull 2

That cast list reads list a who's who...

of actors that desperately need work these days.
Old 06-07-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of another movie about LaMotta, especially if it covers other parts of his life. I am opposed to calling it Raging Bull 2, especially if DeNiro and Scorsese are not involved.
Old 06-07-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Nothing wrong with making another film about LaMotta, but calling it Raging Bull 2 makes the production look parasidic, and hurts the presentation of the film. I may have watched it and thought, "This is pretty interesting", but by trying to pretend it is a part of another extraorinary movie will have me thinking, "Ugh, this is junk."

Sad reminder that Sorvino isn't in much these days. What a great actor. I reccently rewatched Goodfella and was impressed how so many of Pauli's biggest moments in the film are silent looks.
Old 06-08-12, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raging Bull is called the best movie of the 80's decade.
They could be making the worst movie of this decade.
Old 06-08-12, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Agreed with what others are saying, premise is fine but don't call it Raging Bull 2.
Old 06-08-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

The story is described as "both a prequel as well as a sequel to satisfy those fans who wonder about Jake LaMotta’s past and where he is now."
No, we really don't need to know EVERYTHING. Those that do, can read about it.

But our story has a lot more heart and I think it’s a beautiful depiction of who Jake really is. It’s the full spectrum. If you hang out for 10 minutes with Jake you’ll find out two things: He has a heart as big as this room and he has a great sense of humour.”
So, he's not so raging or bullish...I guess call the movie "Funny Big-Heart."
Old 06-08-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

...but it's from the director of Cattle Call! It will be awesome!
Old 06-19-14, 04:27 PM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

Trailer here: http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/ragi...he-bronx-bull/

Last edited by dex14; 06-19-14 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-19-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The Bronx Bull aka Raging Bull 2

While (naturally) it doesn't look to be in the same ballpark as Raging Bull, it looks good enough to be worth a rental or to check out on pay cable.