DVD Talk
"Halloween II" and "Halloween III" coming to CE Blu-ray on 9/18 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : "Halloween II" and "Halloween III" coming to CE Blu-ray on 9/18

CertifiedTHX
06-07-12, 06:05 PM
On September 18, 2012, Shout! Factory will release Halloween II (1981) and Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) on Collector's Edition Blu-ray. (Both will also be available on DVD.)

Special features for Halloween II will include:

Audio commentary with director Rick Rosenthal
Audio commentary with actor Dick Warlock
The Nightmare Isn't Over: The Making of HALLOWEEN II, featuring Rick Rosenthal, Lance Guest, Dick Warlock, Alan Howarth, Dean Cundey, and more
Horror's Hallowed Grounds - Revisiting the original shooting locations
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailer, TV and Radio Spots

Special features for Halloween III: Season of the Witch will include:

Audio commentary with director Tommy Lee Wallace
Audio commentary with actor Tom Atkins
Stand Alone: The Making of HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH, featuring Tommy Lee Wallace, Tom Atkins, Stacey Nelkin, Dick Warlock, Dean Cundey, and more
Horror’s Hallowed Grounds - Revisiting the original shooting locations
Still Gallery
Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

Read the announcement (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/167799-halloween-ii-halloween-iii-special-edition-blu-rays-a-more-on-the-way) at Shock Till You Drop for more.

--THX

islandclaws
06-07-12, 06:09 PM
... or read the thread where we've been discussing it for the past week.

But I do applaud your enthusiasm for both.

orangerunner
06-08-12, 01:06 AM
Glad I didn't buy the Universal version but I hope they add the deleted scenes from the TV version or better yet, have director Rick Rosenthal's director cut.

joltman
06-08-12, 08:38 AM
They announced on Facebook that the TV cut of Halloween 2 will be included on a DVD with the BD

critterdvd
06-08-12, 11:59 AM
They announced on Facebook that the TV cut of Halloween 2 will be included on a DVD with the BD

:rock2:

Mike86
06-08-12, 04:25 PM
I'm tempted to order Halloween III directly from the Shout Factory! web site to get the limited poster. Not really sure I want to pay $35 for it though.

orangerunner
06-08-12, 06:09 PM

Close enough to adding the director's cut and deleted scenes; I'm sold!

d2cheer
06-12-12, 01:35 PM
Close enough to adding the director's cut and deleted scenes; I'm sold!

Dammit. I just bought Halloween II...

Lastdaysofrain
06-12-12, 01:45 PM
Pre-ordered both of these and IV and V

Darth Maher
06-12-12, 02:56 PM
Dammit. I just bought Halloween II...

See, I am justifying my double dip as "I just bought 'Terror In The Aisles' with 'Halloween II' on it" :thumbsup:

Josh-da-man
06-12-12, 07:13 PM
Sounds good.

I might consider picking up II and III on DVD instead of blu-ray since they're quite a bit cheaper to upgrade my old Goodtimes DVDs. Not sure I need these in HD.

islandclaws
06-12-12, 07:27 PM
You just get the fuck out of here. Right now.

;)

NoirFan
06-12-12, 09:58 PM
As previously noted, there is already a thread devoted to these releases as well as all other upcoming Shout and Scream Factory titles located here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566699-one-only-shout-scream-factory-blu-ray-thread-12.html

onebyone
06-12-12, 10:30 PM
See, I am justifying my double dip as "I just bought 'Terror In The Aisles' with 'Halloween II' on it" :thumbsup:

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

I will use this too, because I love Terror in the Aisles enough to buy on its own AND because there's no way I can pass up this release.

Toddarino
06-12-12, 10:37 PM
If anyone doesn't really care about the poster or nurses hat, you can pre-order these from amazon for 20.95 each. I'll get part three from Shout. That poster is awesome.

SterlingBen
06-13-12, 02:00 AM
Sounds good.

I might consider picking up II and III on DVD instead of blu-ray since they're quite a bit cheaper to upgrade my old Goodtimes DVDs. Not sure I need these in HD.

I'll be upgrading my VHS tapes of these. Has there always been so many commentaries (It was the reason I never went DVD on these 2 (I think)).

In fact I have all 7 on VHS, except the reboot and tv version of the original on dvd.

8 does not exist and I certainly didn't pay to see it first run in the theater.

orangerunner
06-13-12, 10:35 PM
As previously noted, there is already a thread devoted to these releases as well as all other upcoming Shout and Scream Factory titles located here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566699-one-only-shout-scream-factory-blu-ray-thread-12.html

I'm glad the original poster of this thread brought the release of Halloween II and III to our attention.

I never would have found the release info buried somewhere in a 14+ page Shout Factory thread.

JackBurton
06-14-12, 07:53 AM
Respectfully, if you are only hearing about new releases from their dedicated threads on this forum you're going to be late to the party on a good majority of what is announced. Sadly, gone are the DVDtalk days where even ancillary threads on genre releases would yield multiple pages of responses. I'd say 95%+ of what is announced in the new release thread and various boutique studio threads never have dedicated threads created for discussion.

joltman
06-14-12, 09:25 AM
I don't think that's reason to not have individual release threads.

RobLutter
06-14-12, 12:08 PM
People willfully buy Halloween III on purpose? :) I kid I kid!

I just bought Halloween II... so this release is kind of a surprise. I'll stick with my Universal edition if they're not going to go to the trouble to upgrade the TV version to BD quality.

Matthew Chmiel
06-14-12, 04:25 PM
I'm glad the original poster of this thread brought the release of Halloween II and III to our attention.

I never would have found the release info buried somewhere in a 14+ page Shout Factory thread.

Go pro and change your forum settings to show 40 posts per page, because I can see only 12 pages.
Halloween II, Halloween III and Terror Train have been consistently and constantly talked since page ten of the Shout! Factory thread.
While I agree that a lot of threads on catalog titles get buried and some of us may have no idea that some catalog titles even exist or are coming, I prefer that we have threads devoted to specific companies. I like having separate threads based upon what Arrow, Blue Underground, Criterion, Shout! Factory, Synapse, and others are releasing. It creates a far more engaging conversation, but it also guarantees the thread will remain for a longer time. Specifically on the front page or if needed to be found via the search functionality (the Google search, not the awful vB search).

islandclaws
08-28-12, 04:07 PM
Blu-ray.com review is up (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-II-Blu-ray/46632/#Review)

Sounds like this is tits.

asianxcore
08-29-12, 04:31 AM
Blu-ray.com review is up (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-II-Blu-ray/46632/#Review)

Sounds like this is tits.

Awesome!

The review definitely sounds different (in a good way!) than another I read that was posted a couple weeks ago.

riotinmyskull
08-29-12, 06:30 AM
blu-ray.com review for HALLOWEEN III (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-III-Season-of-the-Witch-Blu-ray/24433/#Review)

asianxcore
08-29-12, 03:01 PM
blu-ray.com review for HALLOWEEN III (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-III-Season-of-the-Witch-Blu-ray/24433/#Review)

Didn't sound like they were impressed, but I'm excited anyway!

Disc-Flipper
08-29-12, 06:07 PM
I love that creepy as hell Halloween III trailer with the weird witches mask and the children singing - I hope it's included on the blu.

Mr. J
08-29-12, 07:48 PM
I just read the reviews over at blu-ray.com. Of course, I bought the Halloween II (30th Anniversary Edition) about 2 months ago and got the replacement disc with the lossless audio. I don't think I'm ready to double dip on that any time soon.
As for Halloween III, it's a shame that they didn't like the transfer much. I really enjoyed the movie (with it in mind that it is a standalone movie from the rest of the Halloween franchise) so I'll still be buying it anyways. However, I won't be ordering it day 1, so I'll keep my eyes open for any better transfers anywhere else in the world.

MrStayPuft
08-30-12, 01:03 AM
I'm really disappointed with Shout Factory and their lack of subtitles. Has to be one of the easiest extras available, right? I mean, c'mon, they go back to the day with where animated menus counted as extras.

Struckworld
09-09-12, 08:09 PM
These releases are gonna be great.

Struckworld
09-09-12, 08:09 PM
I'm glad Halloween 3 is getting a good release too.

leem6453
09-09-12, 11:43 PM
I have both of these (shipped early from Deepdiscount) and they're a fan's dream. 2 audio commentaries on each, brand new docs, and great PQ. It was so awesome to finally see Halloween III in HD. Stacy Nelkin in all her glory. :drool:

Mr. Cinema
09-20-12, 11:15 PM
Looks like Amazon's $19.99 price is the best we'll see on these for awhile. One of my Barnes & Noble stores has part 2, but a coupon + my 10% off still won't get it for under $20. But if I do want it, at least that's 1 place to buy in store.

Best Buy doesn't carry them, and I doubt Walmart or Target will get them either.

Darth Maher
09-20-12, 11:23 PM
I went ahead and ordered from Amazon... the price may decrease slightly closer to Halloween, but $20 each for these great movies with a ton of great extras, I'd say it's worth it.

It's a shame that the standard B&M stores don't carry them. Best Buy's selection is a shadow of what it used to be. Target will probably start carrying them in mid-November or something. They always seem to be late to the game with their movies. Who knows with Walmart.

Mr. Cinema
09-24-12, 10:28 AM
I'm glad I decided to order part 2 over the weekend for $19.99 on Amazon. I noticed the price has increased to $24.99.

Gizmo
09-24-12, 11:12 AM
I noticed Target carried both II and III on DVD...but no Blu-ray anywhere.

Mr. Cinema
09-24-12, 12:01 PM
I saw 1 copy of part 2 over the weekend at FYE, with a "sale price" of $24.99.

Darth Maher
09-24-12, 02:54 PM
I'm glad I decided to order part 2 over the weekend for $19.99 on Amazon. I noticed the price has increased to $24.99.

Holy shit! I'm glad I ordered them last week too. Got mine on Saturday.

I am tempted to bite on the $14.99 price for 4 & 5 at BestBuy.com .

Mr. Cinema
09-26-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Empire has 20% off everything sale for 2 days. Both of these titles are now $17.59. They're out of stock, but you can still order them I believe.

asianxcore
09-26-12, 03:05 PM
I saw 1 copy of part 2 over the weekend at FYE, with a "sale price" of $24.99.

As crazy as it is, with Amazon reverting to that price currently, it would cost me the same to buy it at my local FYE than with Amazon.

California tax :(

I need to get these!

DJariya
12-20-12, 02:29 PM
I just got Halloween II and III along with Terror Train and Funhouse through a Scream Factory Bundle on Shout's website.

Anyways, I watched some of the bonus material. The making of documentaries for II and III are actually pretty good. Very informative. Stacey Nelkin said on the Part III documentary that she had a "No Nipple" clause in her contract. So the sex scene with her and Tom Atkins had to be shot very tight. It was funny how they talked about Halloween III being regarded as a disaster.

Irwin Yablans, who was a credited producer for both movies, was kind of a dick in the interviews. He ripped part III. He said it was a stupid idea to make a self contained movie non-Michael Myers.

As for the Part II documentary, it sucks that Shout couldn't get Jamie Lee Curtis to participate. It was nice to hear from Rosenthal, Yablans and a few of the supporting actors and crew. Thought it was funny that Tommy Lee Wallace was the original director of II, but dropped out because he hated the script. Yablans said in the end that he didn't even really like II. He thought it was more of the same.

islandclaws
12-20-12, 03:07 PM
^ Keep an eye out for a future Shout release if you want to hear Jamie's thoughts on her horror career, including Halloween II.

DJariya
12-20-12, 03:32 PM
Forgot to mention. Wallace said in the III documentary that he shouldn't have been the only credited writer. He said the original script was written by someone else (forget the name), Carpenter did a 2nd re-write and he did the 3rd.

Josh-da-man
12-20-12, 09:26 PM
Anyways, I watched some of the bonus material. The making of documentaries for II and III are actually pretty good. Very informative. Stacey Nelkin said on the Part III documentary that she had a "No Nipple" clause in her contract.

I wonder if she knew that she flashed her bush while she was putting on a towel after taking a shower?

Lastdaysofrain
12-21-12, 07:50 AM
Forgot to mention. Wallace said in the III documentary that he shouldn't have been the only credited writer. He said the original script was written by someone else (forget the name), Carpenter did a 2nd re-write and he did the 3rd.

Nigel Neil, the British writer who created "Quatermass" (a huge influence on Doctor Who) and wrote some excellent horror/sci-fi for television and movies. The general conceit of III is a very very very Nigel Neil concept, I would have liked to have seen his original script.

Torchur317
12-21-12, 10:26 AM
I wonder if she knew that she flashed her bush while she was putting on a towel after taking a shower?
I was thinking the same thing when I watched it last night. lol

Mike86
09-16-13, 04:12 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I watched Halloween III again this weekend and honestly it amazes me how underrated the film is. Other than the first two films and maybe Halloween: H20 this might be my favorite entry in the series. Sure Myers is absent but it's a great film in it's own right and if it wasn't under the Halloween label I think it would have been much better received. It has that 80s fun factor to it I think and is a good campy yet sort of creepy horror film. The Blu-ray from Scream Factory is excellent as well with some really fun extras as well.

Ringmaster
09-16-13, 08:07 PM
I totally agree. Part III was a fun movie and Tom Atkins should of had more leading man roles. He is that Damn good. I wished they had kept the original plan of having different stories with each film. If part III was made first instead of part II, I think it would have worked.

islandclaws
09-16-13, 08:17 PM
I wish they would've just called it John Carpenter's Season of the Witch. It might enjoy a better rep now than it does. I love the hell out of it.