Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Justice League: The Movie - Rumors, casting, etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3

raven56706
06-07-12, 01:53 PM
If teaming up worked for Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk, it has to work for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, right?

Warner Bros. Pictures seems to think so, as Variety reported yesterdaythat the studio has hired a new writer to bring DC Comics' "Justice League" to the big screen. Just as "The Avengers" assembled the biggest heroes from Marvel Comics, "Justice League" would see DC's iconic characters joining forces to save the world. (DC Comics is a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.) The fact that "The Avengers" is now the third highest-grossing film of all time with $1.3 billion worldwide seems to have reignited the fire to get the other legendary superhero team up on movie screens.

Variety's report states that Will Beall, who wrote the upcoming "Gangster Squad" (starring Ryan Gosling and Josh Brolin) for Warner Bros., has been hired to take on the screenplay. Beall previously wrote for TV's "Castle," but he has also been announced as the writer for new movie versions of "Logan's Run" and "Lethal Weapon 5."

While interest in a "Justice League" movie has certainly been rekindled by the record-breaking success of "The Avengers," the project has been in the works for several years. Director George Miller ("Mad Max," "Happy Feet") was hired for the film in the fall of 2007, with production scheduled to begin the next year for a planned 2009 release.

The original plan was to have a completely fresh cast of actors take on the comic book roles, separate from any existing franchise. Unlike "The Avengers," where the original stars returned, this would have a different cast (so no Christian Bale as Batman). At the time, Armie Hammer ("The Social Network") was attached to play Batman, with D.J. Cotrona as Superman, Adam Brody as the Flash, and Megan Gale as Wonder Woman.

[Related: Christian Bale's comment opens the door for another 'Batman' movie]

The Writer's Guild strike in late 2007 put a halt to the project, however. The production went into an indefinite hiatus, with George Miller moving on to a new "Mad Max" reboot, which is scheduled to start filming soon. In the intervening years, Warner Bros. released the disappointing "Green Lantern," with "The Dark Knight Rises" coming this summer and the new Superman film "The Man of Steel" slated for next June.

That wasn't the first time Warner Bros. tried and failed to get DC's heaviest hitters together in one movie. In the early 2000s, the studio developed "Batman Vs. Superman," which would have pitted the two heroes against each other (though in the end they would team up to take on Lex Luthor). Josh Hartnett was rumored for Superman, with Colin Farrell considered for Batman. But that was eventually shelved in favor of Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins."

Currently, there isn't a director, cast or release date for "Justice League," but summer of 2014 seems like it would be the earliest we could expect to see it. There are also a host of individual DC superhero movies in development, including the Flash, Wonder Woman, and Lobo.

It's also unclear if Warner Bros. still plans to keep the "Justice League" as a separate continuity from the standalone movies, or integrate them the way Marvel built up to "The Avengers." When Joss Whedon, the director of "The Avengers" was asked if he had any advice for the people making "Justice League," he jokingly answered, "Call me." He followed it by saying that it's harder to bring DC characters to the screen than Marvel since they are "from an old, bygone era" where heroes were less flawed and grounded. And Whedon would know, since he tried to bring "Wonder Woman" to the screen in another project that stalled out several years ago.

UPDATE: Mark Millar, the writer who created the comic books the inspired the movies "Wanted" and "Kick-Ass," posted on his official website MillarWorld.tvthat someone he knows is friends with screenwriter Will Beall and got a peek at the unfinished "Justice League" script. Millar reported that the new take on the movie is "Very real-world and not at all what you might expect." He said Beall began working on the script before "The Avengers" hit theaters, and that the "tidbits I heard sound quite dark and mature, which isn't what I expected."

Which DC Comics characters would you most like to see in a "Justice League" movie, and who would you want to play them? Tell us in the comments.

I mean it would work if it was the same build up of the Avengers but not sure if it would work now.... unless they bring in all the movie actors to play their individual parts.

raven56706
06-07-12, 01:56 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/justice-league-movie-hopes-finally-bring-batman-superman-203740882.html

PhantomStranger
06-07-12, 02:06 PM
2014 sounds unrealistic as a premiere date. It would have to be 2015 or later, even if they started writing the script today.

Ky-Fi
06-07-12, 02:48 PM
I don't know---a large part of the reason The Avengers worked for me is because Marvel did a great job of having the main actors flesh out their characters in quality solo movies. Not sure Justice League is likely to be as much of a success if they largely skip that part.

DaveyJoe
06-07-12, 02:51 PM
They can do what they want as long as they have a stand-alone Batman franchise without all of the crossover bullshit.

islandclaws
06-07-12, 02:51 PM
I'll agree with Ky-Fi. I can't say a JL movie gets me excited anyway, but knowing they'll likely all be actors playing the roles for the first time will make it feel like far less an event than Avengers. And no way it'll be as satisfying.

Solid Snake
06-07-12, 03:29 PM
I don't know---a large part of the reason The Avengers worked for me is because Marvel did a great job of having the main actors flesh out their characters in quality solo movies. Not sure Justice League is likely to be as much of a success if they largely skip that part.

there that part which worked so goddamn well...

I'll agree with Ky-Fi. I can't say a JL movie gets me excited anyway, but knowing they'll likely all be actors playing the roles for the first time will make it feel like far less an event than Avengers. And no way it'll be as satisfying.

and there is this too. The audience will have no attachment to them like we did w/ Marvel's guys. It'd have to be written so fucking well that we accept them adding whatever history they may have had in their own locations and that's fucking hard to do in movies...and I'd assume it'd be harder for a superhero movie cuz..well...we'd have to see what makes them so awesome.

Good luck to them but the most polarizing would be Batman. Bale ain't going to do it w/o Nolan. Also...is Snyder's Superman in this? He'd have to be cuz that'd just fuck people's brains more if they got a different guy.

raven56706
06-07-12, 03:38 PM
Thats what im saying... to have different people.... no way... it wont work... they have to have all the same actors...

Hokeyboy
06-07-12, 03:41 PM
They need to have a creative vision guiding the process, rather than just soliciting scripts because they own the property. Because that worked WONDERS for Green Lantern. :lol:

Matthew Chmiel
06-07-12, 03:45 PM
Iron Man: $585 million worldwide
The Incredible Hulk: $263 million worldwide
Iron Man 2: $624 million worldwide
Thor: $440 million worldwide
Captain America - The First Avenger: $369 million worldwide

Before The Avengers' theatrical release, Marvel was sitting on a "franchise" that had grossed already $2.3 billion in worldwide, theatrical revenue. That's not including TV sales, home video rentals and sales, merchandise sales, etc. That's a big reason why the film has already done $1.4 billion worldwide. It also helps that all of the films, except The Incredible Hulk, are all certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not only were all the films hits with fans, but with the critics as well. At the end of the day, Marvel had a game plan to make quality films leading up to one of the biggest film events in years. They succeeded each step of the way and it paid off with fan-fucking-tastic results.

Just making a Justice League film with the hope that it'll do The Avengers-like numbers is fucking retarded because the movie is going to bomb. It also doesn't help that outside of the Nolan films, that most of DC Films' output has been shit. That's including fans and critics' perspectives.

I know Warner is jealous of all of Marvel's success (and now they've taken Alan Horn with them), but they might want to think this one through before spending $200 million plus on a film that is already guaranteed dead on arrival.

Mike86
06-07-12, 04:24 PM
I'm skeptical on this. If Warner/DC are really wanting to do this they need to not rush it along. The reason why The Avengers worked so well as others have mentioned is that the characters were each built up in their own movies and we were teased with each movie with a scene relating to the eventual release of The Avengers. So when the final product finally was out people were pumped for it and it really did feel like a special event to see all these characters coming together.

In order for this to work out right Warner/DC has to reboot Batman because as great as the Nolan version is it wouldn't fit in with a Justice League movie. Also they have to hope to hell their Superman movie turns out right and make a start on Wonder Woman. Not only that but depending on who else they want to have on the team make a Green Lantern movie that doesn't suck and possibly start a Flash movie as well. Green Lantern's movie sucked balls so it's either a reboot for that as well or make a sequel that ignores the first one in my opinion.

Overall it could work out really cool like The Avengers did if they build it up but if they're planning to release it in the next few years or so (which I have a feeling they will to try and cash in on the comic popularity while it's still hot) I get the feeling it'll suck. I doubt it'll bomb totally if they do it that way but it won't be as good of a film and likely wouldn't make as much as The Avengers.

Giantrobo
06-07-12, 04:32 PM
< A DC Fan who wonders if they should even bother...

DthRdrX
06-07-12, 04:46 PM
I think just throwing them together is a horrible idea. They have pretty much failed at making standalone "character" movies, so making a movie out of the clear blue with seven of them should be a disaster. The only thing that has worked for them so far is a Batman who's universe just won't work with the other heroes ....

See how the new Superman does, work on Flash and WW for the following year or so, release a reboot for GL and Batman the following summer and then release a JL movie adding the rest of the characters. (probably MM and Aqua-Man)

Solid Snake
06-07-12, 05:12 PM
Martian Manhunter would be interesting for me personsally. I love the others but...he's so different. I always have it in my head that Fishburne would be a great voice for him.

edstein
06-07-12, 06:16 PM
Batman's cool and Superman is not bad but the rest of the DC universe sucks. A stand along Wonder Woman movie could be interesting though.

kgrogers1979
06-07-12, 06:19 PM
Martian Manhunter would be interesting for me personsally. I love the others but...he's so different. I always have it in my head that Fishburne would be a great voice for him.

Would they even use Martian Manhunter anymore? He isn't a founding member in the DCNU Justice League. He was replaced by Cyborg. DC wants to act like their old pre-Flashpoint universe no longer exists, so they would probably use Cyborg in the movie as well.

I agree that a standalone JLA movie would not work. The reason Marvel's Cinematic Universe works so well is because of how highly interconnected all the movies are. DC needs to copy that formula with solo hero movies first and a JLA team-up movie last.

Batman's cool and Superman is not bad but the rest of the DC universe sucks.

Marvel troll. :rolleyes:

Supermallet
06-07-12, 06:20 PM
The DC universe is awesome but WB has rarely been able to take advantage of it. In order to do this they would need to make a whole new set of solo movies, presumably starting with Snyder's Superman. Throwing together a Justice League movie with all new actors is going to fail.

davidh777
06-07-12, 06:38 PM
I think it also helped that for 98% of the population, these were their only exposure to these characters. Robert Downey Jr is Iron Man, and people were invested in him. Batman and Superman are going to look recycled in any JLA movie because they've been covered so many times before.

Paul_SD
06-07-12, 06:53 PM
The DC universe is awesome but WB has rarely been able to take advantage of it. In order to do this they would need to make a whole new set of solo movies, presumably starting with Snyder's Superman. Throwing together a Justice League movie with all new actors is going to fail.

All you have to do is look at how they've exploited their animated universe.
The bankroll behind these is peanuts compared to a $200+ million dollar tent pole movie- but they still have no enthusiasm for exploiting any characters beyond Batman and Superman, in that order, or a combination thereof.

Direct to video animated films are the medium they should be exploiting to increase awareness of the B-list characters. It also works as important R&D into how concepts will/can transition to live action and which need to be tweaked. Warner just wants to make a fast buck which is why slow sellers like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern put the kibosh on any further non Batman/Superman related properties that were in development.

Neil M.
06-07-12, 08:24 PM
I tend to think that lightning doesn't strike twice so soon. Using the Marvel strategy probably won't be successful the second time around, at least this soon after. Will audiences really care about the build-up to a Justice League movie when they'll have sequels to Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Avengers coming at them every 6 months? I would let Marvel have their moment now and just milk the Batman/Superman franchises until this wave of Marvel films die down, which will happen when Robert Downey Jr. says he doesn't want to play Iron Man anymore. Warner can then reboot everything and follow the Marvel formula. But I know they won't do that.

Solid Snake
06-07-12, 08:32 PM
I wonder how long Downey will last till he says he's done. He loves the character and I'm sure he's very fortunate for Marvel making him a full on star again.

Dragon Tattoo
06-07-12, 08:46 PM
I wonder how long Downey will last till he says he's done. He loves the character and I'm sure he's very fortunate for Marvel making him a full on star again.

He's already old as shit. He literally won't be able to continue doing Iron Man movies for more than 5-10 more years. That's 2 or 3 more movies max.

kgrogers1979
06-07-12, 08:51 PM
Will audiences really care about the build-up to a Justice League movie when they'll have sequels to Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Avengers coming at them every 6 months?

Because people only watch one movie every six months...

antspawn
06-07-12, 08:54 PM
A stand along Wonder Woman movie could be interesting though.

Only if she is wearing a sexy bikini and got a nice little round butt.

Solid Snake
06-07-12, 09:03 PM
I believe WB now regrets failing to approve that Whedon WW movie now w/ The Avengers being great and whatnot.

My Other Self
06-07-12, 09:33 PM
I believe WB now regrets failing to approve that Whedon WW movie now w/ The Avengers being great and whatnot.I bet they do but I can't say I would've been that jazzed about it. She's always been one of the least interesting DC characters to me.

WB is clearly trying to capitalize on the ensemble genre but they're off to a piss-poor start with Green Lantern being as bad as it was.

I think it'd be interest to shadow Marvel and do lead-up films to a Justice League movie. It'd at least have me more invested.

Pizza
06-07-12, 09:42 PM
It could work. Just need the right script. I believe Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are more iconic than Marvel's mighty heroes. Therefore, less need for lead in movies. Plus those characters have been played by several actors each already so it won't feel as odd to have a new cast in the suits. I'll buy a ticket no matter what. I want to see this movie as much as The Avengers.

Michael T Hudson
06-07-12, 09:47 PM
He's already old as shit. He literally won't be able to continue doing Iron Man movies for more than 5-10 more years. That's 2 or 3 more movies max.

47 is old as shit? I am guessing you are still in your twenties.

Hokeyboy
06-07-12, 09:47 PM
Good to know I'm six years out from being "old as shit" :lol:

Artman
06-07-12, 11:08 PM

I would guess Avengers 2 is the last he's contracted for... after that, Marvel would either have to pay a huge amount for one more Iron Man and/or a cameo in Avengers 3. But by that time, they'll have 2-3 new characters...and although none will reach Iron Man's popularity, the Marvel machine will be rolling along well enough that they can probably write out Iron Man from needing to be in the mix.

majorjoe23
06-07-12, 11:15 PM
I believe Iron Man 3 is his last contracted film.

B5Erik
06-07-12, 11:31 PM
I believe Iron Man 3 is his last contracted film.
He'll do The Avengers 2 as well.

After that? I'm sure that Marvel will be able to throw enough money at him to get him to do Iron Man 4, but that may be it.

Abob Teff
06-08-12, 12:02 AM
http://gordonandthewhale.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dc_universe.jpg

There was a time when we believed there was good and evil in the world. Back then, we had heroes. They protected us from all that was wrong in the world.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1106010_f260.jpg

Since then, I grew up. I realized the good guys don't always win. Batman was broken ...

http://fcdn.filmonic.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/darkknightrises-mask.jpg

... Superman fell ...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7sgeap9kCIQ/TbWkRcrkHxI/AAAAAAAAAGs/IIAm8lfaOkY/s1600/superman-DOOMSDAY+TEASER.jpg

... the lines between dark and light became blurred.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk559tbkFB1qeajx2o1_400.jpg

Then, it just became dark.

http://notthebeastmaster.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/darkseid_is.jpg

Now, it is time to return to the light.
It is time for us to feel safe again.
It is time for justice.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/262423123/justice_league_teaser_b_by_sahinduezguen-d4c8mz7.jpg

(In other words ... Superman's movie must end on a down note - leaving room for a sequel of course; Green Lantern 2 must show us the fall of Hal Jordan and introduce another Green Lantern - chose whichever one you want. Justice League would be founded by the new Green Lantern and Wonder Woman and would feature Green Arrow, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Black Canary.)

majorjoe23
06-08-12, 07:09 AM
He'll do The Avengers 2 as well.

After that? I'm sure that Marvel will be able to throw enough money at him to get him to do Iron Man 4, but that may be it.

E doesn't seem to think that:

http://www.eonline.com/news/avengers_2_five_things_we_think_we/314861

2. Robert Downey Jr. Will Make a Lot of Money, Somewhere: The star's Iron Man deal runs out after the upcoming Iron Man 3. So, either Marvel will pay Downey (a lot) to suit up again for The Avengers 2, or he'll take his bankable self to another franchise (and Marvel can try out its James Bond plan).

RocShemp
06-08-12, 07:14 AM
I believe WB now regrets failing to approve that Whedon WW movie now w/ The Avengers being great and whatnot.

And it was a solid treatment too. Basically Wonder Woman in WWII fighting Nazis armed with Amazonian weapons.

Rob V
06-08-12, 07:15 AM
I suppose this could work but the bar has been set so extremely high by Avengers it's unlikely.

I'm also running under the assumptions that batman dies in the next movie -- although I have nothing but the trailer to lead me to believe that

Michael Corvin
06-08-12, 07:16 AM
I am fascinated by the fact that 100% of the people in this thread think The Avengers was a success because of Marvel's "Method." Avengers was a success because it was a damn good movie. I'd only seen half of the "build up." I wasn't familiar with Thor, Loki, Hawkeye or Black Widow. It doesn't matter, the movie absolutely stands on its own. The build-up definitely built awareness, but that's not the reason it succeeded.

That being said, I absolutely think JL could succeed this early but they would have to have Bale and whatshisfaceplayingSupes on board to anchor the movie. They are the two most iconic heroes out there. Build the movie around those two and pepper it in with Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, and maybe 1-2 lesser characters(leave out Green Latern and forget that movie ever happened). Even without build-up movies, people KNOW the DC-5, they're legendary characters. They don't need a build up "method" to work.

As for Bale's Batman working, that's definitely a delicate situation to tackle but I don't think it's impossible like everyone else.

Lastly, at that point we will have had 6 Superman movies with Lex Luthor as a villain. For the love of god, come up with something new for JL. :lol:

JesseCuster
06-08-12, 08:23 AM
If DC wants to do this thing they need to build it up like the Marvel franchises. Which means a JLA movie is probably 4 years away minimum. The directors are the key to this. Throw money at the best in the biz. Tarantino, Speilberg, Scorcese, Fincher, PT Anderson, etc. Try to get them to helm a franchise. Batman is rock solid. Snyder, who I think is a good director, will hopefully solidify Superman. Try to get other top flight directors for Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (the recent release should be utterly ignored for film series canon) and another...Aquaman?..Martian Manhunter?...Green Arrow? If they don't do this and don't build a central pillar like the Marvel franchises did, they will fail horribly. And a horrible overarching team film will be extremely hard to ignore, like Marvel did with Ang Lee's Hulk. The damage could be irrepairable.

Xander
06-08-12, 08:39 AM
I think they could do a decent JL movie if they did a similar approach to Marvel's. If the new Superman movie does well, they could try to get that actor for Supes. In the meantime, have someone do a GOOD Green Lantern movie for Ryan Reynolds. I don't know about a stand-alone Wonder Woman movie. Not really necessary. I think Superman, Batman and GL need their own movies to set them up. The big problem will be Batman. No way you're getting Nolan or Bale to do any more Batman, IMO. So you need to re-establish that character. Do it the way Marvel did - have them all sign on for 3 solo pics and three Justice League pics. They could make it happen. I doubt they will do it the "right" way, though. Superman Returns and the Green Lantern flick are proof that DC doesn't really know what it is doing with its movie characters. :(

Hokeyboy
06-08-12, 08:43 AM
I don't even want to see live-action DC movies anymore. I say put the money in animation (where they have always excelled at and consistently beaten Marvel) and produce feature-length, CG-animated films with Pixar/more-recent Dreamworks quality.

You know how this is going to play out. WB commissions a script, it gets rewritten by committee and handed to a workmanlike director who will play it out just as the studio wants it. Think a Raja Gosnell or Brad Peyton type. They'll throw $250 million at it and it'll gross just north of that, worldwide, at best. They'll be left scratching their heads as to "what went wrong" and be convinced that the public "doesn't want superhero movies anymore" when in fact they just don't want BAD ones. Meanwhile Marvel will keep on raking it in. Because they get it. Good for them. :up:

And I say this primarily as a DC fan, who wants better but expects the least. :(

B5Erik
06-08-12, 08:44 AM
E doesn't seem to think that:

http://www.eonline.com/news/avengers_2_five_things_we_think_we/314861

2. Robert Downey Jr. Will Make a Lot of Money, Somewhere: The star's Iron Man deal runs out after the upcoming Iron Man 3. So, either Marvel will pay Downey (a lot) to suit up again for The Avengers 2, or he'll take his bankable self to another franchise (and Marvel can try out its James Bond plan).
That's what I meant. He'll do it, but he's going to get paid a lot to do it. The Avengers 2 needs him, and after the staggering success of The Avengers they'll pay him top dollar to come back one more time.

And after that? Does he do Iron Man 4? Or does Marvel go James Bond and bring in a new actor?

We'll find out in a couple years...

RocShemp
06-08-12, 08:47 AM
As far as I know, RDJ is contracted for three IM movies and three Avengers movies. So they'll definitely have to re-negotiate for an IM4 but he's likely locked (depending on any clauses in his contract) for at least two more Avengers movies.

Ky-Fi
06-08-12, 08:49 AM
Although it might be too financially risky, I suppose another option for DC would be to make a Justice League movie like the Lord of the Rings, where you take three movies to build up the characters and tell a fuller story, rather than just trying to cram too much into a single 2 hour movie.

RocShemp
06-08-12, 08:52 AM
Although it might be too financially risky, I suppose another option for DC would be to make a Justice League movie like the Lord of the Rings, where you take three movies to build up the characters and tell a fuller story, rather than just trying to cram too much into a single 2 hour movie.

I saw the same idea suggested over at Blu-ray.com. That could work but, as suggested over there, it'd also require a massive prologue to get the audience in the right mindset right from the start.

Would be a cool approach, though.

Hokeyboy
06-08-12, 12:49 PM
Coming Summer 2015 ... Director Rob Cohen brings his unique creative vision to Justice League...

*wakes up screaming*

TGM
06-08-12, 01:00 PM
This idea sounds like a rushed hot mess. Although I would like to see Batman in a less heavy-handed movie than Nolan's trilogy.

PenguinJoe
06-08-12, 01:04 PM
After about three movies I find super-hero movies kind of fizzle out. See X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Blade. So I don't see the point in doing like four movies in a franchise time to move on.

Hokeyboy
06-08-12, 01:12 PM
WB is seeing the results, but they fail to see the process. How much swill are they going to endure from the Greg Berlantis and Joel Silvers of the world until they realize that it takes creativity and vision to make something like the Avengers happen?

Iron Man is a GREAT example. Here was a character virtually UNKNOWN to mass audiences (even less so than Green Lantern), but with a strong script, exceptional marketing and promotion, and a virtuoso breakout RDJ performance, Marvel exploded onto the scene with a winning movie, blockbuster grosses, and a strong foundation on which to build their "cinematic universe".

WB sees superheroes they already own and potential dollar signs. Period. Green Lantern could have been amazing, but you can tell by the finished product that barely anyone involved with the movie really believed in it. The script was poor, the direction flat, the editing abysmal... a $250 million turd. :(

I so want "Man of Steel" to be great. I really do. But I doubt their ability to produce anything of quality that doesn't have "A Christopher Nolan Film" listed in the credits... :(

Giantrobo
06-08-12, 01:15 PM
I don't even want to see live-action DC movies anymore. I say put the money in animation (where they have always excelled at and consistently beaten Marvel) and produce feature-length, CG-animated films with Pixar/more-recent Dreamworks quality.

You know how this is going to play out. WB commissions a script, it gets rewritten by committee and handed to a workmanlike director who will play it out just as the studio wants it. Think a Raja Gosnell or Brad Peyton type. They'll throw $250 million at it and it'll gross just north of that, worldwide, at best. They'll be left scratching their heads as to "what went wrong" and be convinced that the public "doesn't want superhero movies anymore" when in fact they just don't want BAD ones. Meanwhile Marvel will keep on raking it in. Because they get it. Good for them. :up:

And I say this primarily as a DC fan, who wants better but expects the least. :(

:up: On all points.

:(:up: You and me both...It's like being a KISS or Star Wars fan.

RocShemp
06-08-12, 01:28 PM
WB sees superheroes they already own and potential dollar signs. Period. Green Lantern could have been amazing, but you can tell by the finished product that barely anyone involved with the movie really believed in it. The script was poor, the direction flat, the editing abysmal... a $250 million turd. :(

I didn't hate Green Lantern (I sort of liked it while being simultaneously disappointed) but it irked me that they kept the focus so squarely on Earth. GL is great because you can tell the story in vast parts of the galaxy. It's like Star Trek but with super powers. And I'm shocked it cost $250 million. I would have guessed it was fairly low budget.

If there is a sequel, I hope they leave Earth far behind after the first 5 minutes.

That said, GL is the character who should be the lead of a Justice League movie. Not as the headliner (those should be Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman) but he should be the one to first discover the looming threat and bring word to Earth, while seeking the aid of various super powered beings (and one crafty bastard in a costume) on our planet.

davidh777
06-08-12, 01:34 PM
All you have to do is look at how they've exploited their animated universe.
The bankroll behind these is peanuts compared to a $200+ million dollar tent pole movie- but they still have no enthusiasm for exploiting any characters beyond Batman and Superman, in that order, or a combination thereof.

Direct to video animated films are the medium they should be exploiting to increase awareness of the B-list characters. It also works as important R&D into how concepts will/can transition to live action and which need to be tweaked. Warner just wants to make a fast buck which is why slow sellers like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern put the kibosh on any further non Batman/Superman related properties that were in development.

I've enjoyed many of the DC DTVs and think they've successfully pushed many of the minor characters (Shazam, Jonah Hex), but what I've heard is that nothing makes any money that isn't Superman or Batman, and we're talking DTVs that should appeal to the geekiest of us. I do like the animated-feature-film idea but am not convinced it would do any better than the DTVs.

I am fascinated by the fact that 100% of the people in this thread think The Avengers was a success because of Marvel's "Method." Avengers was a success because it was a damn good movie. I'd only seen half of the "build up." I wasn't familiar with Thor, Loki, Hawkeye or Black Widow. It doesn't matter, the movie absolutely stands on its own. The build-up definitely built awareness, but that's not the reason it succeeded.

I don't think we're saying that it was only due to the method, and we've mentioned script and casting. I think that that's the focus of the thread since we're looking at what WB/DC wants to do now, and how it seems like a Johnny-come-lately move to re-create the Avengers' success. If they want to completely follow the blueprint, it'll take significant time and resources.

And while I agree that The Avengers stands on its own just as a good movie, I think the method made it that much better. I was more invested in the characters from already having gotten to know them, and they were able to bypass a lot of the "origin" filler they would have needed otherwise.

DthRdrX
06-08-12, 01:49 PM

Batman Begins was a damn good movie too, but it followed Batman and Robin so didn't make as much as Avengers. People waited and were teased with the Avengers for what .. almost five years? Got to get people in the door before you make money.

DthRdrX
06-08-12, 01:55 PM
I've enjoyed many of the DC DTVs and think they've successfully pushed many of the minor characters (Shazam, Jonah Hex), but what I've heard is that nothing makes any money that isn't Superman or Batman, and we're talking DTVs that should appeal to the geekiest of us. I do like the animated-feature-film idea but am not convinced it would do any better than the DTVs.

Batman/Superman are the most popular so they get more releases it seems.

Consider that the next release is The Dark Knight Returns: part 1. Breaking it down to two releases to keep prices lower for parents as impulse purchases.

davidh777
06-08-12, 01:59 PM
Batman/Superman are the most popular so they get more releases it seems.

Consider that the next release is The Dark Knight Returns: part 1. Breaking it down to two releases to keep prices lower for parents as impulse purchases.

The others just don't sell. I heard that Wonder Woman, the third cornerstone icon of the DCU, had a very well-received movie that just didn't sell a lick. I think something like the Green Lantern Corps was intended to provide background for the Ryan Reynolds movie so in that sense they are using the DTVs to support the theatrical releases, but I bet that didn't sell either. (I didn't buy it and haven't seen it even though I'm a GLC fan from the old days.)

Hokeyboy
06-08-12, 02:03 PM
^Of all the DC Animated DTVs, the Wonder Woman one was the best. By far. Very cinematic, very well written and voice-acted. That would have been a great feature film. :up:

RocShemp
06-08-12, 02:05 PM
^Of all the DC Animated DTVs, the Wonder Woman one was the best. By far. Very cinematic, very well written and voice-acted. That would have been a great feature film. :up:

Agreed. :up:

It's a shame it didn't sell well. They had planned a director's cut but shelved it when the regular cut tanked.

Shannon Nutt
06-08-12, 02:20 PM

Wow - I really disagree with that. I enjoyed THE AVENGERS quite a bit, but as a stand-alone movie it's very incomplete.

RocShemp
06-08-12, 02:32 PM
Wow - I really disagree with that. I enjoyed THE AVENGERS quite a bit, but as a stand-alone movie it's very incomplete.

Yeah, it's not much of a movie but rather an event and payoff to the setup of the previous films. Hell, it even acknowledges a well known deleted scene from The Incredible Hulk. It really only functions effectively with the previous films.

Mike86
06-08-12, 02:51 PM
Yeah The Avengers probably would have been decent if it were just a stand alone film but I really think that introducing us to the members in their own movies before launching the first Avengers movie helped it out a ton. You built up the characters making people who probably didn't know much about them to begin with fans and making them think with each movie how cool it's going to be to see them all in action together. It also helped of course that the movie was just solid but I really like the method Marvel used for creating The Avengers. It also shows that they were actually putting thought into the series rather than DC who just seems like they want a cash in and are hoping to ride on Marvel's coattails.

DthRdrX
06-08-12, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it's not much of a movie but rather an event and payoff to the setup of the previous films. Hell, it even acknowledges a well known deleted scene from The Incredible Hulk. It really only functions effectively with the previous films.

Which scene was that Roc? I don't think I've ever watched any of the deleted scenes for I.Hulk but that sounds interesting.

Solid Snake
06-08-12, 03:38 PM

it semi references it. He never actually shot himself. He was intending to but then he Hulked out.

Solid Snake
06-08-12, 03:49 PM
Which scene was that Roc? I don't think I've ever watched any of the deleted scenes for I.Hulk but that sounds interesting.

it's the alt. opening. it's not a DIRECT reference. Just a semi reference of an event like it. It's not canon and nor was it mentioned in the same manner.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwrkR3PELJ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

davidh777
06-08-12, 04:05 PM
Hard to imagine anything pushing second-tier characters better than Justice League Unlimited did

nando820
06-08-12, 04:49 PM

Wonder Woman and Under the Red Hood are my favorites from all of them and I do try to watch them all.

PhantomStranger
06-08-12, 05:25 PM
It should be cinematic, the script for it was adapted from a potential live-action script for the Wonder Woman movie that was never made.

People don't understand that Warner is not going to be able to duplicate the Marvel movie formula with their characters. The Justice League movie would go poof in the air once an Aquaman solo movie was released and crushed at the box office. The movie executives at WB have no understanding of superheroes and have only produced strong films when the creative talent had a strong vision for the material. The more the studio has gotten their way, the worse the movies have turned out.

Iron_Giant
06-08-12, 05:34 PM
The others just don't sell. I heard that Wonder Woman, the third cornerstone icon of the DCU, had a very well-received movie that just didn't sell a lick. I think something like the Green Lantern Corps was intended to provide background for the Ryan Reynolds movie so in that sense they are using the DTVs to support the theatrical releases, but I bet that didn't sell either. (I didn't buy it and haven't seen it even though I'm a GLC fan from the old days.)

Actually...

Wonder Woman is DC 4th best selling (out of 14) and 4th most profitable direct to Video release.

-Only ones to outsell WW DVD total number:
Superman: Doomsday (Number seller by far)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Batman: Under the Red Hood

-The ones that outsold WW $$$:
Batman: Gotham Knight

WW outsold "Green Lantern: First Flight" by about 29% in both numbers sold and dollar amount.
WW was such a great story, I am not sure they could have duplicated it.

But, DC did not want to take the $$$ risk, they want sure bets only.

Dragon Tattoo
06-08-12, 05:49 PM
Actually...

Wonder Woman is DC 4th best selling (out of 14) and 4th most profitable direct to Video release.

-Only ones to outsell WW DVD total number:
Batman: Under the Red Hood

-The ones that outsold WW $$$:
Batman: Gotham Knight

WW outsold "Green Lantern: First Flight" by about 29% in both numbers sold and dollar amount.
WW was such a great story, I am not sure they could have duplicated it.

But, DC did not want to take the $$$ risk, they want sure bets only.

What you're saying doesn't really disprove the previous points. It could be 4th place and have only sold 100 copies. Just because it outsold all the other duds doesn't make it a success. The fact that 1-3 are Superman/Batman movies proves as much. I've heard that the dropoff in sales between the Batman/Superman movies and Wonder Woman was large, and it was obviously large enough that DC thought selling a Director's Cut (which was planned) would be pointless.

RocShemp
06-08-12, 07:46 PM
Since this thread has bridged the gap between DC and Marvel, I thought this'd be appropriate here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QZkqC4Lz8dU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Solid Snake
06-08-12, 08:25 PM
That's actually my fav HISHE.

FRwL
06-08-12, 09:44 PM
so is Routh coming back as Superman?

majorjoe23
06-08-12, 09:52 PM
so is Routh coming back as Superman?

Replaced by Henry Cavill.

FRwL
06-08-12, 09:57 PM
well i guess he does need his career to be saved so this is a good step.

Michael Corvin
06-08-12, 10:11 PM

Yeah, it's not much of a movie but rather an event and payoff to the setup of the previous films.

Yeah The Avengers probably would have been decent if it were just a stand alone film but I really think that introducing us to the members in their own movies before launching the first Avengers movie helped it out a ton.

:lol: The three of you are arguing from a place of having seen all the previous films and I'm not. The movie stands on its own just fine and having seen them all none of you can objectively say otherwise. I'm sure there is more of a payoff having seen them but as someone who hasn't seen them all, I can honestly say it's not necessary.

Paul_SD
06-08-12, 10:22 PM
Actually...

Yeah, a year or so back I remember seeing the figures and WW did respectable sales. The sticking point for Warner was apparently that the magical minimum they were looking for- whether it was units or $$- didn't come fast enough.
The Batman and Superman titles have hit profitability sooner. There also may be a belief that those two properties having a higher profile will continue to sell more steadily than the B listers, but that is just conjecture on my part.

I still think Warner is looking at this the wrong way. Marvel has already conquered live-action films in a way DC simply hasn't beyond Batman. They do however have a substantial amount of goodwill accumulated through their animated properties, especially JLU and Batman TAS.
A JLU live action movie is going to be a minimum $200 million dollar gamble that could not only just break even, but could seriously impair a bunch of other solo-properties for many years.
OTOH, 1/5th of that could bankroll a fairly lush, full length theatrical animated movie. This is an area that Marvel has not been as successful in, DC has, and they already have a sound production development team in place to make sure this material is shepherded properly.
A theatrical animated movie
1) still gives them plenty of licensing opportunities- maybe even more since this will be very 'kid friendly'.
2) doesn't not take anything away from Live-action projects (except maybe to make they look more lacking by comparison)
3) Done well, can be an evergreen seller- as Disney's & Pixars material has pointed out.

And probably the main reason- the things that many people claim they want to see the most (like Batman interacting with a bunch of superpowered demi-gods) just simply works much better in an animated medium.
Unless you will be happy to see something in the vein of The Batman '66 TV show (which contrary to popular opinion was taking it's equally foolish material seriously) which frankly I wouldn't mind one bit.

And I say all this as not a particularly big animated movie fan. I just recognize that that is where DC's strength is.

Supermallet
06-08-12, 11:34 PM

It's not the reason it succeeded, but it is the reason it succeeded so wildly. Marvel built up characters that weren't as well known to non-comic fans through a series of solo movies, then brought them all together. The fact that the movie was excellent is what propelled it to break records, but it still would have made a lot even if it were just okay because of the Marvel method.

d2cheer
06-08-12, 11:47 PM
The general public does not know anyone other than Superman or Batman. Good luck with this...

PenguinJoe
06-09-12, 12:16 AM
I always thought The Flash could possibly make a good franchise and Ryan Reynolds seems like he's be a better fit for Flash than he was for Green Lantern. However I was never into Green Lantern to start with and I felt the movie was underwhelming.

Superboy
06-09-12, 01:19 AM
I hope to GOD that they never, EVER, EVER, make this movie.

Because really, when I imagine a Justice League movie, I imagine a movie much like Avengers.

Kinda campy. Less serious. Much more action. Tons of humor. An over-the-top villain. And giant battle set pieces.

And Batman is going to be in it. And it's going to end up being Batman and Robin all over again.

kgrogers1979
06-09-12, 01:38 AM
The general public does not know anyone other than Superman or Batman.

So? Its not like the general public knew Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow before the MCU. All the general public really knew was WWII era Captain America and Lou Ferrigno Hulk.

RocShemp
06-09-12, 01:40 AM
If they want any chance at success, they need Timm, Dini, and the rest of the creative team from JL/JLU/Young Justice to come up with a treatment (and even the shooting script). But of course the studio wants to go with these other guys cos their names are currently associated with M:i-GP (which was immensly entertaining despite a barely strung together story).

So? Its not like the general public knew Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, or Black Widow before the MCU. All the general public really knew was WWII era Captain America and Lou Ferrigno Hulk.

Yeah but, as has been repeated ad nauseum, audiences had five years to get to know them. And I bet the vast majority still don't know who they are beyond "those people played by Sam Jackson, Robert Downey, Jr., some He-Man looking guy, that guy from The Hurt Locker, and Scarlett Johanssons tatas."

kgrogers1979
06-09-12, 06:02 AM
Yeah but, as has been repeated ad nauseum, audiences had five years to get to know them. And I bet the vast majority still don't know who they are beyond "those people played by Sam Jackson, Robert Downey, Jr., some He-Man looking guy, that guy from The Hurt Locker, and Scarlett Johanssons tatas."

Which is why having solo hero movies first are important to set up the universe instead of just jumping straight into the JLA movie.

Michael Corvin
06-09-12, 06:19 AM
I think you are seriously underestimating the awareness of the DC-5. We may not have had a Wonder Woman movie, but I'm positive that people know who she is. Same for Flash and maybe Aquaman. I'm not talking knowledge of the character history just an awareness, enough so that setting them up first in their own movies is unnecessary. For whatever reason DC has just done a better job keeping those characters just below the public conscience to keep them alive.

In fact I think DC would do better to do the opposite of Marvel. Tackle JL first to build hype and then spin off those characters, that they've had trouble with, into their own franchises.

Mike86
06-09-12, 12:26 PM
:lol: The three of you are arguing from a place of having seen all the previous films and I'm not. The movie stands on its own just fine and having seen them all none of you can objectively say otherwise. I'm sure there is more of a payoff having seen them but as someone who hasn't seen them all, I can honestly say it's not necessary.
Maybe for you yes. I assume though that you aren't a typical movie fan though since you do afterall you do post on an online forum (like the rest of us) and seem to have some knowledge of comics. To the average person I'm sure having the characters built up helped them feel some attachment to the characters and gain some knowledge of who they are. In my opinion it was a great way to set up The Avengers. I do think the film would have done okay without the extra build up but the massive success it saw in my opinion was helped by the individual movies.

kgrogers1979
06-11-12, 08:16 AM
http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/everything-were-told-about-justice-league-movie-directors-batman-superman-green-lantern-flas

• Our source tells us that the major developments are underway at DC Entertainment — and the Man of Steel will spearhead it all.

• The Man of Steel will be chapter #1 of a shared universe, it will all bend around that film.

• In chronological terms, the Man of Steel is the first.

• Henry Cavill will be given a new contract after Man of Steel that would probably include a pay raise along with his new terms that feature the Justice League film and subsequent sequels.

• Lobo will be the second movie after Man of Steel, and is said to take place off Earth and won't affect any of the other films.

• The Flash and Wonder Woman (Nicolas Winding Refn is expected to be directing) scripts will be spin-offs from the Justice League film that should be released summer 2014/2015, and The Flash will be rewritten to fit around events that will transpire in Justice League.

• Ryan Reynolds will be expected to reprise his role as Green Lantern, and the events that transpired in his film - although they won't be ignored in the Justice League Movie, they won't be acknowledged either. It will sort of be hints to his backstory, and the character will be more serious than in the solo film (more like how he was towards the end of the film).

• The Green Lantern sequel has a treatment but the situation is unclear. It most likely will be brought to a stage where it is near getting the green light, and will be held there until things become clearer where that franchise is headed.

• The rebooted Batman film (won't be an origin story, but will focus on a Batman who is entering his second year as a hero) will be a part of the same universe.

• The details plot wise for the Justice League Movie are unknown, but a couple comic book writers have penned the treatment that Will Beall will be scripting.

• Christopher Nolan won't be directing the Justice League Movie.

• There aren't any directors set for the Justice League Movie yet, although a shortlist has been drawn up (Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebsman, David Yates are rumoured within WB) by the execs.

• The budget for the Justice League Movie will be around $270 million.

• DC are looking to release 2 films a year. So expect something like this:

Man of Steel (2013) Zack Snyder; David Goyer & Christopher Nolan; HenryCavill

Lobo (2014) Brad Peyton; TBA

Justice League (2015) TBA;

The Batman (2016)

Wonder Woman (2016) TBA (Most Likely Nicolas Winding Refn); Michael Goldenburg

The Flash (2017) TBA; Greg Berlanti, Marc Gruggenheim & Michael Green; TBA

Updated 6/7/12:

• The Justice League movie is David Yates' to lose; he is the heavy favorite to become director of the movie.

• The look of the film will not be as colorful or as bright as Marvel's The Avengers — which looked like a comic book in real life.

• The Justice League Movie will look like an epic blockbuster film in tone with The Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel, which is something Warner Bros. is keen on — to avoid similarities with The Avengers.

• Christopher Nolan is "godfathering" the project from a distance, meaning more or less Warner Bros. went to him and asked his opinions and how he would he do things.

• Christopher Nolan may well be credited as an Executive Producer on the film with wife Emma Thomas.

RocShemp
06-11-12, 08:21 AM
Glad to hear that the batman reboot will basically work as a pseudo-sequel in the sense that they won't retell the origin and just have him already in full swing as a vigilante. :up:

I know I'm in the minority but I hope David Yates doesn't get the Justice League gig. Except for the delightful Order of the Phoenix, I disliked his work on the Harry Potter franchise.

TGM
06-11-12, 08:28 AM
(assuming Cavill is a good Superman) I like all of the news above, except for them pushing for a darker tone. DC movies, to this date, ARE NOT FUN. They need to change that.

Dragon Tattoo
06-11-12, 09:03 AM
A Nicolas Winding Refn Wonder Woman film sounds like gold.

Giantrobo
06-11-12, 09:24 AM
Wow.....

RocShemp
06-11-12, 09:24 AM
DC movies, to this date, ARE NOT FUN. They need to change that.

That bugs me as well. GL having humour and not being serious enough weren't the problems. In fact, the serious stuff (like Hal's daddy issues) was what kept dragging down what should have been a grand outerspace adventure.

A Justice League movie should be an epic spectacle. Not some dour glum experience. But given they seem intent on David "I never met a light switch I didn't turn off" Yates, I'm betting we'll get plenty of the latter.

kgrogers1979
06-11-12, 10:07 AM
They should do a movie of the Giffen and DeMatteis Justice League International era. I would love to see Batman "one punch" Guy Gardner on the big screen.

Double_Oh_7
06-11-12, 10:24 AM

Let's just say Marvel's strategy didn't hurt ;)

Hokeyboy
06-11-12, 10:26 AM
Knowing WB, they'll hand over JLA to Jonathan Liebsman. He's the type of hack shithole studio nutsucker they ADORE.

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 10:39 AM
A Refn Wonder Woman movie? They better let Refn do his thing. I know he won't go full blown regular Refn cuz it's a PG-13 thing for sure..but...let the man do his thing. If this is true...I'm almost scared that this will be his horrible Hollywood experience cuz WB has too much riding on things like this.

nando820
06-11-12, 11:02 AM
I dunno what you guys talking about, this movie ain't gonna happen :p

d2cheer
06-11-12, 11:09 AM
I dunno what you guys talking about, this movie ain't gonna happen :p

No shit that whole timeline is nothing but a pipe dream.

RocShemp
06-11-12, 12:24 PM
A Refn Wonder Woman movie? They better let Refn do his thing. I know he won't go full blown regular Refn cuz it's a PG-13 thing for sure..but...let the man do his thing. If this is true...I'm almost scared that this will be his horrible Hollywood experience cuz WB has too much riding on things like this.

That seems like a total waste of time, money, and talent. Refn's style doesn't really fit with Wonder Woman. So if you let him go nuts, you'll turn off WW fans. But if you don't let him do his thing, it'll turn off Refn fans. If you do it halfway, you end up making Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Hokeyboy's right in that WB doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Whereas others are also right in that the proposed timeline is a fantasy.

resinrats
06-11-12, 12:41 PM
Wow $270M budget. What was Avengers? $270M has to be up there with the most expensive movies ever.

Dragon Tattoo
06-11-12, 12:51 PM
So if you let him go nuts, you'll turn off WW fans.

What Wonder Woman fans? What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few people in a 100+ mile radius who even buys Wonder Woman comics (well, trades) and I'd be perfectly giddy about a Refn WW movie. She's not Bats or Supes. She doesn't have enough of a fanbase to even worry about pissing off.

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 12:54 PM
The Avengers was $220-225 million, those are the two numbers I keep seeing.

That whole listing is just bullshit. No way that can be done. For it to be done, they need shit started...like...2011, at least.
Who leads the DC movie division btw?

Lastdaysofrain
06-11-12, 01:06 PM
There were multi-part story lines they did on Justice League Unlimited that could have easily been a life action movie.

You don't need origin stories to have a movie like this, people are familiar enough with the characters to just throw them into the middle of a story line. One thing that DC has over Marvel (there are many) is that their characters are far more arch-typical, so that the basic concept of the character is much easier to grasp (if they don't already know it, but most people probably do, at least for the major iconic characters) than Marvel's characters.

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 01:19 PM
Yeah, but they had great talent to come up w/ it. Again..who is literally part of the DC movie division? Wait...they do even have a division dedicated to this?

Deftones
06-11-12, 01:26 PM
do this right and it will be badass. do it wrong and it will be a clusterfuck. they really better have nolan the wizard behind the curtain on this and pay him damn near anything.

Solid Snake
06-11-12, 01:58 PM
See that's my kneejerk reaction as well. Nolan is the only one so far at WB who's done it right w/ a DC character in this new era. But also...what are his thoughts on DC in general? The other characters...has he ever been fond of them etc etc?

Paul_SD
06-11-12, 03:37 PM
Hokeyboy's right in that WB doesn't know what the hell they're doing. Whereas others are also right in that the proposed timeline is a fantasy.

• Christopher Nolan is "godfathering" the project from a distance, meaning more or less Warner Bros. went to him and asked his opinions and how he would he do things.

Their operating philosophy on this sounds like it's "In Nolan We Trust" so I'm sure most people will be deliriously happy at the thought of a collection of colorful characters desaturated and saving the universe in a grim and joyless way.

I don't begrudge them for trying to differentiate this from Avengers- but I do think they are veering 180 degrees in the wrong direction. As RocShemp already said, it was (partly) the labored, forced 'serious' (dark) stuff that dragged Green Lantern down. So let's double down on that. -rolleyes-

One thing that DC has over Marvel (there are many) is that their characters are far more arch-typical, so that the basic concept of the character is much easier to grasp (if they don't already know it, but most people probably do, at least for the major iconic characters) than Marvel's characters.

That's simply brand awareness. It doesn't really have anything to do with audience sympathy or investment in the character which needs to be established on screen at some point.
Not saying it's impossible to craft a team movie without 8 hours of exposition. In some cases a little mystery to certain characters might be advantageous. But each character better be strongly delineated and distinct, with a point of view and personal philosophy that is clearly understood and illustrated by their actions.
Otherwise they'll seem like little more than action figures being puppeted around by the plot.

antspawn
06-11-12, 04:59 PM
It would be awesome in Justice League movie a love triangle between Green Lantern and Aqua Man and some other not yet out of the closet character (could be villain possibly). Maybe DC can bring in more gay date tickets.

and no I'm not trollin ;)

A cute scene with Green Lantern on Aqua man's back as he is swimming like a dolphin around the Statue Of Liberty.

I mean with the whole gay thing going on with DC lately I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.

Paul_SD
06-11-12, 05:13 PM
I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.

I'm pretty sure all the suits at Warner will get to see this for free, so there's little point trying to pander to them.

kgrogers1979
06-11-12, 05:49 PM
It would be awesome in Justice League movie a love triangle between Green Lantern and Aqua Man and some other not yet out of the closet character (could be villain possibly). Maybe DC can bring in more gay date tickets.

and no I'm not trollin ;)

A cute scene with Green Lantern on Aqua man's back as he is swimming like a dolphin around the Statue Of Liberty.

I mean with the whole gay thing going on with DC lately I bet you that is a good way to bring in more of the crowd out there that don't give a shit about these super heroes.

Gay Green Lantern is old news. Today DC showed a new Green Lantern that is apparently Arabic.

Apple Gooncha
06-11-12, 05:56 PM
I would be shocked if Alan Scott made it into any live action movie ever.

PenguinJoe
06-11-12, 05:57 PM
Doesn't McG's Superman movie come out this year?

kgrogers1979
06-11-12, 05:59 PM
I would be shocked if Alan Scott made it into any live action movie ever.

But according to DC he is such as major iconic character... :lol:

Apple Gooncha
06-11-12, 06:04 PM
But according to DC he is such as major iconic character... :lol:

A few days ago, one of my co-workers who is also pretty interested in comics (but is more of a Marvel guy) asked me who the Hell Alan Scott was. :lol:

I felt really sure, even after they announced that it was a "major" character, that it wouldn't be anyone higher than some B or C-list character

Dragon Tattoo
06-11-12, 06:27 PM
A few days ago, one of my co-workers who is also pretty interested in comics (but is more of a Marvel guy) asked me who the Hell Alan Scott was. :lol:

I felt really sure, even after they announced that it was a "major" character, that it wouldn't be anyone higher than some B or C-list character

You can't have "teh gay" tainting the actual good characters.

They'd make a major character black before they did that (i.e. Spider-man).

:fro::sarcasm:

kgrogers1979
06-11-12, 06:42 PM
They'd make a major character black before they did that (i.e. Spider-man).

:fro::sarcasm:

Miles Morales... although he is the alternate Ultimate universe Spider-Man.

resinrats
06-12-12, 12:04 AM
Maybe an idea for the movie is to bring in a character some audience members might be aware of. Green Arrow was a pretty major character on Smallville for the later years. At least he'd be someone they might have heard of.

Don't like the 'dark just to be dark' idea thrown around. Its not like Avengers was some sort of comedy. Also, DC's pet dark character Batman even has some humor in his movies. Several times in Dark Knight there were some jokes/humerous moments that didn't come from Joker. Several from Bruce Wayne/Batman himself.

kgrogers1979
06-12-12, 12:26 AM
The problem with Green Arrow is the audience would perceive him as being a Hawkeye clone, and if DC is trying to differentiate their movie from the Avengers it is unlikely that they would use him.

I can't imagine that DC would use anyone other than the "Big 7" (i.e. Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and either Martian Manhunter or Cyborg). Secondary characters like Green Arrow and Black Canary likely won't show up until the sequel.

Solid Snake
06-15-12, 05:14 PM
this is making the rounds on youtube and other sites:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WwZwaVl_280" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why So Blu?
06-15-12, 05:26 PM
^ Nice! - best fan trailer I've seen so far.

RocShemp
06-15-12, 05:27 PM
The brief snippets of Wonder Woman make me glad that show never saw the light of day. :lol:

Why So Blu?
06-15-12, 05:31 PM
The brief snippets of Wonder Woman make me glad that show never saw the light of day. :lol:

I did like the last one, though.

"My wife?"

VROOOOOOOOOOM!

lol

nando820
06-15-12, 05:58 PM
I'm shamefully delighted with that trailer...oh god its so tastefully gay I can't resist it :gah:

and so here I reached a 1000 posts :goodbye:

kgrogers1979
06-27-12, 06:17 AM
Apparently before DC does the Justice League movie, they are planning to release a movie based on the Lego universe.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055994

What the fuck is this shit?

Hokeyboy
06-27-12, 09:34 AM
It'll be better than any live action JLA movie. Guaranteed.

MrSmearkase
06-27-12, 11:39 AM
DC isn't doing the LEGO movie, Warner Bros is.

majorjoe23
06-27-12, 12:10 PM
And it's not just a DC Lego movie, is it? I would bet several Lego licenses will be represented. Except Marvel. I bet we don't get them and DC in the same movie.

RocShemp
06-27-12, 12:38 PM
And it's not just a DC Lego movie, is it? I would bet several Lego licenses will be represented. Except Marvel. I bet we don't get them and DC in the same movie.

No Lego DC versus Lego Marvel? And no Lego Amalgam? :sad:

Deftones
06-27-12, 01:32 PM
Apparently before DC does the Justice League movie, they are planning to release a movie based on the Lego universe.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055994

What the fuck is this shit?

considering the game is pretty fun, i'd be in for a movie on it.

RocShemp
07-10-12, 12:22 PM
Christopher Nolan Won’t Produce ‘Justice League’ or Further Batman Films (http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolan-produce-justice-league-batman-reboots/)

Get ready for the flood of Christopher Nolan quotes from the press conference and interviews that took place in the past couple days. We’ve already heard about the Charles Dickens influence on The Dark Knight Rises, and now we’ve got a statement from Nolan about what we can — or can’t — expect from him in the future.

Jeff Robinov of Warner Bros. once said that Nolan would be involved in producing future versions of Batman at the studio, even if he did not direct the films. We know that Nolan is quite done with his take on Batman, and now he says that he’s walking away from all of it after his latest film is released. That means he won’t work as a producer on future incarnations of the character, starting with Justice League, which is being developed now, and going forward into whatever they may be.

Asked about possible intentions for producing more Batman films, the director told EW that he has “none at all.” Nolan added, “we’re finished with all we’re doing with Batman. This is the end of our take on this character.”

And, just so that things are clear, here’s an additional quote:

Batman will outlive us all, and our interpretation was ours. Obviously, we consider it definitive and kind of finished. The great thing about Batman is he lives on for future generations to reinterpret, and obviously, Warners will have to decide in the future what they’re going to do with him. We’ve had our say on the character. …

I’ve got no plans to do anything more, and certainly, no involvement with any Justice League project.

That’s counter to what Jeff Robinov said last year. (“We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman…Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”) Even at the time his notion seemed optimistic, and I can’t say I’m surprised at the idea that Nolan doesn’t want to be chained to Batman for the foreseeable future.

Additionally, and to the surprise of no one, Christian Bale says he hasn’t talked to anyone at WB about taking part in Justice League, or so he tells one station (http://www.wgntv.com/news/deanslist/wgntv-the-dark-knight-rises-interview-with-christian-bale-20120709,0,5080190.htmlstory).

PhantomStranger
07-10-12, 12:39 PM
Bale would require an enormous payday on any Justice League movie and I doubt Warner would go in that direction. It would be awesome to see him in it. I'm not sure Nolan would be the right choice for a Justice League movie anyway, his utterly realistic style would be an odd match.

superdeluxe
08-08-12, 04:56 PM
Warner Brothers has approached Ben Affleck to direct Justice League:

http://www.slashfilm.com/warner-bros-approaching-ben-affleck-direct-justice-league/

Another day, another huge superhero team up update. Variety reports Warner Bros. has approached actor/director Ben Affleck to direct their DC Comics superhero team up film, Justice League. He’s the first director to see Will Beall’s script and will discuss the option and possibilities of the project in the coming weeks. Read much more after the jump.

In Variety’s story, they point out Warner Bros. was (obviously) hoping Christopher Nolan would help out with this massive film. However, when Nolan took his name out of the mix, they started to eye Affleck, who made The Town a big hit for the studio, is finishing Argo, and was approached to direct another huge WB property, The Stand, an option that’s still viable once Argo is done.

But The Town and Argo were not only are directed by Affleck, he stars in them too. The Oscar-winner has said in the past that he’d like to only direct films he stars in. That would lead one to believe he’d either break that statement with a huge film like Justice League or possibly play on of the film’s stars, likely to include some combination of Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman and others. That’s the kind of thing which will likely be discussed in the coming days.

It’s hard to gauge where Affleck might stand on this. On the one hand, actor turned directors have had great success with superhero films (see Jon Favreau with Iron Man and Kenneth Branagh with Thor). But neither of those guys played a superhero before, which Affleck did in both Hollywoodland and Daredevil. In 2009 he told MTV that latter experience pretty much soured him on the genre.

No, I would not do another. I was cured of that. That experience was not that much fun. And it’s not something I’m particularly looking to go through again.

He added the following to the Daily Record:

If there’s anything I can promise you, it’s that the years of superhero are behind me.

But were they really? He then floated the idea of directing Man of Steel for Warner Bros. before Zack Snyder got the job and, after turning it down, told Hitfix he didn’t think he could spend that much time with that subject:

In general, going forward, for me it’s about ‘What movie am I interested in making? What movie do I really connect to?’ If the director isn’t secure enough about it, the movie won’t work. Directing a movie takes a year or two years. You’ve got to love it as much on day 500 as you do on day one other wise it’s not going to work. So, It just means there is a forced judiciousness for me. Even the kind of thing I’d do as an actor for 10 weeks? I could try a character? I can’t do that as a director. I have to be part of a story I want to tell.

So we’ll have to wait and see what kind of specifics Warner Bros. and Affleck hammer out. Anyone one can change their mind at any time. The good news is that whether or not he decides to direct, star, direct and star or pass, Warner Bros. is confident enough in the script to start going out to directors. That Avengers 2 news probably didn’t hurt either.

Ben Affleck + Justice League. Discuss.

anomynous
08-08-12, 04:59 PM
He's a good director, so he can't hurt it.

Jules Winfield
08-08-12, 05:04 PM
I can go with Affleck. It's hard to say because he hasn't really directed anything Comic Booky but I don't hate it. It could work.

superdeluxe
08-08-12, 05:30 PM
I think affleck honestly is a great choice, his work with gone, baby gone and the town were both great. Argo looks great as well

Solid Snake
08-08-12, 06:17 PM
Ok. Now this has my interest. I'd like to see what Affleck can do w/ this.

TGM
08-08-12, 06:18 PM
think he'll show up on the set in his Daredevil costume? cos I sure would.

Roybq
08-08-12, 06:20 PM
I'd like to see Affleck do this as well. I've enjoyed every film he's directed and if he wants to play Wonder Woman, I'm all for it. Although it would be cool to gather Bale, Calvill, Reynolds and others to play their respective roles, he'd probably be better off gathering up his own choices for this film.

We need this narrator guy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1xtpsY0_LI

Roybq
08-08-12, 06:22 PM
http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Site/matty/pb/images/2009_ComicCon/WonderTwins_both.jpg

Yes!

Jules Winfield
08-08-12, 06:23 PM
What are the chances he does it though? I say no chance. Didn't he get away from acting in big budget movies(He did have some bombs as well.) so that he could direct smaller scale movies? I can see him thinking "Fuck this noise." and continue on going down the path he's going.

superdeluxe
08-08-12, 07:11 PM
Sometimes you have to make the blockbuster, so you can fund the art films

Deftones
08-08-12, 07:28 PM
Hmmm. Interesting choice. I think he's a pretty good director, so this could be good. Is he much of a comic book guy? I think that's sort of why Whedon was such a brilliant choice, because he lives and breathes comics.

Mike86
08-08-12, 07:52 PM
Affleck could actually be an interesting choice for this. The Town and Gone Baby Gone are both really good films and Argo looks like it'll be good as well. If he does it my interest is slightly up.

Michael Corvin
08-08-12, 08:40 PM
I can roll with Affleck too.

Hmmm. Interesting choice. I think he's a pretty good director, so this could be good. Is he much of a comic book guy?

Well he did use to draw one:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp89lqVSu61qz4iigo1_500.jpg

:)

Artman
08-08-12, 09:01 PM
Affleck would be a strong choice, assuming he doesn't play one of the superheroes. They really wanted him to do Gangster Squad didn't they?

Supermallet
08-08-12, 09:35 PM
I can roll with Affleck too.

Well he did use to draw one:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp89lqVSu61qz4iigo1_500.jpg

:)

And he wasn't even a tracer!

I think he's an inspired choice. That's why I'm certain he'll pass on it.

The Valeyard
08-08-12, 10:13 PM
Deadline says it's a "no" already.

Ben Affleck On ‘Justice League?’ His Camp Says No

By MIKE FLEMING | Wednesday August 8, 2012 @ 9:07pm EDT
Tags: Ben Affleck, Justice League

COMMENTS (5)

I’ve been reading a lot of stuff lately that has been of questionable substance, and I’m calling bullshit on this big Variety scoop today that implies Warner Bros will get Ben Affleck as director of its Justice League film. This is a story I checked out days ago, and didn’t run when Affleck’s reps stated that it was not going to happen with him. Now, it makes sense that Warner Bros would offer Affleck the project. Chris Nolan is top man over there, but after three Batfilms and after producing the Superman reboot Man of Steel, he’s gotten spandex-clad protagonists out of his system. After Nolan, the studio then offers everything else to Harry Potter director David Yates (who is now keen on Tarzan) and Affleck, who has become a major director with Gone Baby Gone, The Town, and the upcoming Argo. Just because the studio wants Affleck doesn’t mean he will do the movie, and several sources tell me he might take a meeting, but that’s it.

After putting his acting career in the dumper with questionable choices like Gigli, Affleck admirably scripted a second act for himself with his writing and directing skills, and did it by taking on unexpected, thoughtful films. His reps clearly denied he would take this, and why would he want to direct a Justice League movie, unless he himself had figured out a way to make one that would compare favorably with Joss Whedon’s billion dollar Marvel smash The Avengers? I don’t see it. As my old agent/manager pal Michael Black used to say sometimes when I came at him breathlessly with an important but dubious package involving one of his clients, “Don’t dress for that premiere, darling.”

Deadline (http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/ben-affleck-on-justice-league-his-camp-says-no/)

RocShemp
08-08-12, 10:17 PM
Well that didn't take long. And quite a shame. He'd have been great as director.

Why So Blu?
08-09-12, 09:50 AM
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!

raven56706
08-09-12, 10:28 AM
in regards to who would play batman, would you guys welcome back kilmer or keaton to play the parts? yes i know they are older and kilmer is pushing more than 200lbs but still, would you take them back?

Greg MacGuffin
08-09-12, 10:32 AM
I'm glad he's not doing it. Gone Baby Gone and The Town were both terrific, and Argo looks like it could be something special. I'd like to see him continue building an interesting body of work instead of getting sidelined with a superhero blockbuster.

I love comics, and I hope one day we get a great Justice League flick, but it will happen with or without Affleck.

Solid Snake
08-09-12, 10:40 AM
Well that didn't take long. And quite a shame. He'd have been great as director.

Yeah...I'd prefer to see a JLA film via him over George Miller. Also...I kind of would like to see what Affleck could bring to the table on this project just to see wtf it'd be like. I can't imagine a vision of that world in his direction but I'd be open to it if it were possible.

in regards to who would play batman, would you guys welcome back kilmer or keaton to play the parts? yes i know they are older and kilmer is pushing more than 200lbs but still, would you take them back?

No. Even if they were fit...no. Bale really does well w/ both parts. While I grew up w/ Keaton as MY Batman as a kid...Bale beats the shit out of it.

Michael Corvin
08-09-12, 10:54 AM

Kilmer was terrible in B:Forever and Keaton is old, so no.

Solid Snake
08-09-12, 10:56 AM
Yet Kane thought Kilmer was great for it. lol.

Shannon Nutt
08-09-12, 11:07 AM
I've got two words for Warners:

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.

The Valeyard
08-09-12, 11:43 AM
Yet Kane thought Kilmer was great for it. lol.

If you're talking about Bob Kane, then he doesn't know a thing about Batman!

kgrogers1979
08-09-12, 11:50 AM

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.

Donner made some good Silver Age Superman movies, but I don't know if he could do a more modern Superman or JLA.

Keaton might work in a Dark Knight Returns or Batman Beyond adaption, but anything else no way.

If you're talking about Bob Kane, then he doesn't know a thing about Batman!

Kane spelled it Bat-Man. Who the hell hyphenates Batman???

stingermck
08-09-12, 12:08 PM
Just write Bale a blank check. The movie is going to need a big star to rally around like Downey in Avengers. Superman and Batman are the leads, and I dont think Cavill can do it on his own, so the choice of Batman better be a good one.

Mr. Cinema
08-09-12, 12:18 PM
I love Affleck as a director, but I'm not surprised he passed. I think he'll stick to dramas mostly and avoid any major blockbuster films.

Assuming Man of Steel turns out well, why not Zack Snyder? I think he's got the visual eye to put together a pretty kick ass film.

I think Duncan Jones would be an interesting choice, but he appears to be involved in an Ian Fleming biopic.

TGM
08-09-12, 12:26 PM
Michael. Bay.

http://i.imgur.com/IAeDb.jpg

devilshalo
08-09-12, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised WB doesn't give Guy Ritchie a look since his Sherlock Holmes films have brought in some nice boxoffice for them and I liked the look and feel of both. Plus he's capable of handling ensemble casts.

Deftones
08-09-12, 12:46 PM
bay is a ridiculous choice but at least we'd get some awesome action scenes with explosions and whatnot.

Solid Snake
08-09-12, 01:35 PM
bay is a ridiculous choice but at least we'd get some awesome action scenes with explosions and whatnot.

...this can be debated. *cough*

Just write Bale a blank check. The movie is going to need a big star to rally around like Downey in Avengers. Superman and Batman are the leads, and I dont think Cavill can do it on his own, so the choice of Batman better be a good one.

Problem w/ that is that Wayne isn't as likeable or as enjoyable as Stark. Stark has all this personality and flare that you just follow that so easily as a viewer. Wayne/Batman is a character you observe never really getting that close to their core, if you know what I mean. Beyond that...I think as a storied character in these films...it'd be kind of mean to get Bale's Wayne back. Cuz you know...he finally has his peace. Also...it'd kind of kill Alfred's wish of Wayne.

This is all besides that I think Bale is very loyal to Nolan. Guess they hit it off really well. 4 films together, granted...3 Batman films. I'd love to see something from Nolan that is as thematically interesting as The Prestige. Fucking love that film. So morally and ethically twisted those characters were in a way. Fascinated me so much.

Mike86
08-09-12, 01:45 PM
The more I think of it Affleck's reasoning probably makes some sense. He seems to want to do films that have a good story behind them now and doesn't just want something that's thrown together, which let's be honest is what this Justice League film is feeling like. Warner is simply looking to ride on Marvel's coattails and hoping for a smash hit like The Avengers was.

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.
Ugh..no. Don't get me wrong Donner did a good Superman film but it was 34 years ago. DC needs to look to fresh directors and not rely on nostalgia to try and fuel their new movies.

...this can be debated. *cough*

Problem w/ that is that Wayne isn't as likeable or as enjoyable as Stark. Stark has all this personality and flare that you just follow that so easily as a viewer. Wayne/Batman is a character you observe never really getting that close to their core, if you know what I mean. Beyond that...I think as a storied character in these films...it'd be kind of mean to get Bale's Wayne back. Cuz you know...he finally has his peace. Also...it'd kind of kill Alfred's wish of Wayne.

This is all besides that I think Bale is very loyal to Nolan. Guess they hit it off really well. 4 films together, granted...3 Batman films. I'd love to see something from Nolan that is as thematically interesting as The Prestige. Fucking love that film. So morally and ethically twisted those characters were in a way. Fascinated me so much.
Yeah, I loved Bale as Bruce Wayne and Batman both. Easily my favorite actor who's played him to date, but I can't see him coming back without Nolan's involvement and I don't know that I'd want him to either. They really gelled well together and created some great films. Plus as Snake mentioned the way The Dark Knight Rises ends bringing him back would kind of put a damper on it in my opinion.

The whole problem is I have absolutely no idea who a good candidate for a new Bruce Wayne/Batman is at the moment. I will say Nolan's films are going to be tough to recast in my opinion. Every actor basically owned their roles. The one person who's been floating around my mind for a part though is Bryan Cranston. Either as Dr. Hugo Strange or possibly Commissioner Gordon.

Hokeyboy
08-09-12, 01:56 PM

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.
He's 800 years old by now, and hasn't made a half-decent movie in decades.

No thank you. :lol:

Mike86
08-09-12, 02:00 PM
He's 800 years old by now, and hasn't made a half-decent movie in decades.

No thank you.
:lol: I will say though even though it's not a great film I do sort of enjoy 16 Blocks as kind of a guilty pleasure film. No way in hell do I want him near a new DC movie though.

Hokeyboy
08-09-12, 02:04 PM
Lethal Weapon was 25 years ago. Everything since has been swill.

Mr. Cinema
08-09-12, 02:28 PM
I'm surprised WB doesn't give Guy Ritchie a look since his Sherlock Holmes films have brought in some nice boxoffice for them and I liked the look and feel of both. Plus he's capable of handling ensemble casts.
Another good choice. Sherlock 2 had some really nifty camerawork.

Ash Ketchum
08-09-12, 02:35 PM
At this point, all I really want from DC/WB is a really top-notch animated JLA feature. Something along the lines of the "New Frontiers" DTV feature from a few years ago, only with theatrical-quality 2-D animation.

superdeluxe
08-09-12, 02:42 PM
I don't think Affleck has passed at least fully. If had passed, why would he waste his and WB's time and having meetings over JL?

superdeluxe
08-09-12, 02:51 PM
Bleedingcool:

eadline‘s report on Ben Affleck‘s involvement with Warner Bros. Justice League film is less a piece of reportage than a bit of flag waving.

The gist is this: they say that they didn’t scoop Variety on the big Justice League story “days ago” because Ben Affleck’s people have already told them we won’t take the gig.

“Several sources” have apparently said to Deadline that Affleck might take a meeting with the studio about the film, but he certainly won’t direct it.

Which is to say, Deadline are saying that Affleck’s people are saying that he’s about to waste both his and the studio’s time on a meeting about a film he certainly isn’t going to direct.

Assuming that this can be believe, I can only read it as playing hard to get by Affleck and team, if filtered through a bit of Variety-trashing by Nikki Finke and Deadline.

Which probably goes some way to convincing me Affleck might actually be wanting the gig.

Matthew Chmiel
08-09-12, 03:11 PM
Here's why the film won't work: there's no backstory. The Avengers worked because it had five prior films to explain the team's actions and motivations allowing Whedon to go full tilt with the story of them coming together and defeating evil. Marvel's plan was risky, but it paid off.

Film audiences won't know (or care) about Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, and whatever other superheroes that they decide to throw in there.

While Ben Affleck is a great and inspired choice, I'd rather see him focus on something that actually has the potential to be great.

Deftones
08-09-12, 03:44 PM
Film audiences won't know (or care) about Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, and whatever other superheroes that they decide to throw in there.

maybe, just maybe that's the reason why it will be successful. people don't care about the backstories. they just want to see a good movie. :shrug:

Hokeyboy
08-09-12, 04:08 PM
maybe, just maybe that's the reason why it will be successful. people don't care about the backstories. they just want to see a good movie. :shrug:
The Avengers audience was already involved with the characters for 4 years leading up to the movie. We knew who these people were (mostly) and were invested in their development, i.e. wanting to see Steve Rogers interact with the modern world, Thor's duty to protect Earth, Tony Stark become more responsible and altruistic, Black Widow whip out some titty, Hulk become more self-controlling, Hawkeye develop a personality, etc. Without all that sense of character arc, Avengers could have been just another Michael Bay-styled shitfest.

Maxflier
08-09-12, 04:43 PM
Plus as Snake mentioned the way The Dark Knight Rises ends bringing him back would kind of put a damper on it in my opinion.

And given the way The Dark Knight Rises ends, I wonder if they would consider using Joseph Gordon-Levitt? I don't think he would make a good Batman, but it would be interesting if they went that route.

devilshalo
08-09-12, 05:17 PM
The Avengers audience was already involved with the characters for 4 years leading up to the movie. We knew who these people were (mostly) and were invested in their development, i.e. wanting to see Steve Rogers interact with the modern world, Thor's duty to protect Earth, Tony Stark become more responsible and altruistic, Black Widow whip out some titty, Hulk become more self-controlling, Hawkeye develop a personality, etc. Without all that sense of character arc, Avengers could have been just another Michael Bay-styled shitfest.

Nolan verse Batman doesn't exist for this film. We will have to see how Cavill as Superman works. Green Lantern didn't do all that great.

You have the mythos of Superman and Batman (who would most likely be in costume for most, if not all the film) to carry the other heroes through their introduction. They (WB) don't have the time to wait to build up their other heroes as the Marvel film making machine keeps steamrolling.

The biggest problem is finding a reason for all of them to get together in the first place other then using Darkseid, which people will compare to Thanos and accuse DC/WB of being a copy cat.

devilshalo
08-09-12, 05:31 PM
Thinking about it... the one big thing that DC/WB has in its back pocket to explain away the diffferent media variations of Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes.

Crisis.

Deftones
08-09-12, 05:45 PM

X-men was pretty successful w/o having to resort to backstories for every character. I'd venture to say most people know the origin of Superman/Batman and GL. Since WW, Flash and whoever else involved are likely to be secondary characters in the movie anyway, I don't think we necessarily need all these movies before hand to make a successful superhero movie. Would I love them all and see them? Of course, I would. But I think these characters are common enough in most people's mind's that they don't need all the backstory. :shrug:

fujishig
08-09-12, 05:48 PM
Thinking about it... the one big thing that DC/WB has in its back pocket to explain away the diffferent media variations of Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes.

Crisis.

Are you saying they should open that can of worms? No way...

Even the other big event that usually brings a Justice League together, the tried and true alien invasion, may seem like a copycat of Avengers...

kgrogers1979
08-09-12, 05:49 PM

Crisis.

:lol:

Adam West, the Batman of Earth-8, meets Michael Keaton, the Batman of Earth-45, and Christian Bale, the Batman of Earth-23.

A Crisis on the big screen could potentially be awesome, but anyone that isn't a comic book fan would be like "what the fuck is this shit?"

Even the other big event that usually brings a Justice League together, the tried and true alien invasion, may seem like a copycat of Avengers...

White martians would be cool and a way to setup Martian Manhunter. Or they could use Starro for another "what the fuck" reaction from the audience.

devilshalo
08-09-12, 05:58 PM
:lol:

Adam West, the Batman of Earth-8, meets Michael Keaton, the Batman of Earth-45, and Christian Bale, the Batman of Earth-23.

A Crisis on the big screen could potentially be awesome, but anyone that isn't a comic book fan would be like "what the fuck is this shit?"
At least it's not an actual reboot. Just a reset. ;)

Or they could use Starro for another "what the fuck" reaction from the audience.
Only if Capt Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew come along! :)

Deftones
08-09-12, 05:58 PM
what other kind of event/bad guy can you do with a team like that doesn't seem lame? alien invasion like with darkseid seems like the only logical choice.

devilshalo
08-09-12, 06:09 PM
How about using Doomsday as the choice? Stretch that out like they did in the comics thru the various heroes in single films after the JL film and culminate it in the death of Superman in either his own film or in the second JL film?

Solid Snake
08-09-12, 06:32 PM
Like..you mean have Doomsday beat the shit out of the others and then have him fight Supes in his?

kgrogers1979
08-09-12, 06:48 PM
Stretch Doomsday out through the single hero films, like have Doomsday fight Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc in their solo films and then have The Death of Superman at the end? That would get kind of monotonous seeing Doomsday as the villain in every single film, even more so than Luthor in all the old Superman films.

Something they could do though is set up Doomsday as a post-credit sequence. Remember in the comics how the last page of every comic leading to The Death of Superman showed Doomsday pounding away at his prison with the caption "Doomsday is coming!" and then finally he breaks through and it changes to "Doomsday is here!" That would be neat as a post-credit sequence.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2743/doomsdayiscoming1.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5082/doomsdayiscoming2.jpg

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7168/doomsdayiscoming3.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4007/doomsdayiscoming4.jpg

Hokeyboy
08-09-12, 07:09 PM
Any story that involves Darkseid throwing a punch is an automatic failure, IMO.

kgrogers1979
08-09-12, 07:17 PM

What about Darkseid sitting on a couch?

Deftones
08-09-12, 07:40 PM
http://www.mastersinit.org/geeks-vs-nerds/geek.jpg

Hokeyboy
08-09-12, 08:03 PM
http://www.mastersinit.org/geeks-vs-nerds/geek.jpg
http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/Former-Maumelle-assistant-girls-basketball-coach-Brittany-Burns-Jacksonville-Sheriffs-Department.jpg

Lastdaysofrain
08-10-12, 07:10 AM
Doomsday is a weak character, he's a plot device, not really a villain.

fujishig
08-10-12, 12:25 PM
I guess the other cliche they could use is for the villains of the individual movies to team up, like Luthor gathering them up and having that be the after-credits scene of each movie. But first they would need successful individual movies.

Solid Snake
08-10-12, 12:52 PM
cliche story though very unique as a film premise. Much like The Avengers.

Lastdaysofrain
08-10-12, 12:56 PM
I guess the other cliche they could use is for the villains of the individual movies to team up, like Luthor gathering them up and having that be the after-credits scene of each movie. But first they would need successful individual movies.

I don't think they would. Why do they need individual movies? Why not just introduce them in the middle of a plot? Most people are aware of the major characters, we don't need origin stories for every movie.

When I watch a regular movie I'm not thinking "Man, I wish they went into where this guy grew up and how he became a door man at this Manhattan hotel before he fell in love with that rich lady"

devilshalo
08-10-12, 01:44 PM
I wonder though.. would a Justice League movie work better than a Superfriends movie? Is it better to have the Hall of Justice versus the orbiting space station? An alien invasion or the Legion of Doom?

Maybe LoD could work to bring the heroes together like fujishig said and then they can go one on one in their individual movies?

FRwL
08-10-12, 02:08 PM
How about Toyman, but the Superfriends iteration who hash a Space kingdom of toys.

Michael Corvin
08-10-12, 02:08 PM
Hall of Justice.

As it stands this will already feel like it's ripping off Avengers. Having an alien invasion, ala Loki isn't going to go over too well.

I don't think they would. Why do they need individual movies? Why not just introduce them in the middle of a plot? Most people are aware of the major characters, we don't need origin stories for every movie.

I mentioned as much earlier. Despite the lack of major motion pictures, DC has done a pretty decent job keeping the major players in public awareness (animated shows, toys, coloring books, clothes, etc.) over the years. People already know who WW, Flash, Aquaman, Batman & Supes are. They don't need origin movies(or reboots) to do this. Any characters outside those five can be brushed upon in the JL movie like Hawkeye, Maria Hill, Fury & Black Widow were in Avengers.

After the Green Lantern movie it's probably best to ignore him until the stink of the recent movie wears off.

fujishig
08-10-12, 03:42 PM

When I watch a regular movie I'm not thinking "Man, I wish they went into where this guy grew up and how he became a door man at this Manhattan hotel before he fell in love with that rich lady"

I mean individual movies to introduce the individual villains, like how Loki didn't need much of a backstory in Avengers because of Thor. At least to establish their vendetta against the heroes and why they would ban together. I tend to agree that you can introduce the heroes, especially iconic ones, in an ensemble movie.

devilshalo
08-10-12, 03:51 PM
Nah... don't need to introduce villains that way...

4hZ-il7Ey9I

Giantrobo
08-10-12, 04:57 PM
I'm still blown away with the thought that the Mass Public doesn't know who Wonder Woman is.

kgrogers1979
08-10-12, 05:27 PM
I'm still blown away with the thought that the Mass Public doesn't know who Wonder Woman is.

That's because we haven't had a movie with her working at Taco Whiz yet.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6958/wonderwomantacowhiz.jpg

devilshalo
08-10-12, 06:10 PM

Doubt many that were born in the 80's ever saw this:

M_blOQEu9ws

And I don't remember CBS re-airing these either.

kgrogers1979
08-10-12, 06:29 PM
DC needs to get this chick to play Wonder Woman.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.373365336047638.102629.282999755084197&type=1&notif_t=photo_album_reply

Solid Snake
08-10-12, 08:18 PM
That's actually a nice design for the suit. I'd love to see that in a film. Don't care for the model, attractive for sure..but I don't think she's...WW enough.

devilshalo
08-10-12, 08:22 PM
That's actually a nice design for the suit. I'd love to see that in a film. Don't care for the model, attractive for sure..but I don't think she's...Monica Bellucci enough.

Fixed.

Solid Snake
08-10-12, 08:39 PM
ha. I don't think Monica Bellucci could pull it off either.

RocShemp
08-10-12, 08:52 PM
That's actually a nice design for the suit. I'd love to see that in a film. Don't care for the model, attractive for sure..but I don't think she's...WW enough.

Actually, she's a pretty realistic depiction of what a young WW, at the beginning of her career, would look like.

That said, I've always felt you need either Lucy Lawless or a woman like her to do WW justice.

Artman
08-10-12, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see Gina Carano as WW... she's really the most realistic/believable possibility imo.(the only one I'd believe in onscreen to be honest) With the 2015 release all but officially confirmed for Avengers 2 this wk... I think WB should look at 2016 for this film. Flash and WW solo films for 2014... Supes 2 for 2015 (he would be the Iron Man for this series). The Batman could act as the Captain America / introductory role for JL. Reynolds as Green Lantern sticks to JL films, and even than, he's minimally used... they have to triage that mess....even seeing him in previews would undermine almost everything.

kgrogers1979
08-10-12, 09:44 PM
I'd like to see Gina Carano as WW... she's really the most realistic/believable possibility imo.(the only one I'd believe in onscreen to be honest) With the 2015 release all but officially confirmed for Avengers 2 this wk... I think WB should look at 2016 for this film. Flash and WW solo films for 2014... Supes 2 for 2015 (he would be the Iron Man for this series). The Batman could act as the Captain America / introductory role for JL. Reynolds as Green Lantern sticks to JL films, and even than, he's minimally used... they have to triage that mess....even seeing him in previews would undermine almost everything.

Aquaman needs a solo film more than any of the others to fix his public perception. The general public tends to think of him as being lame character whose only power is talking to fish.

The best thing for Green Lantern would be to write out Hal Jordan and introduce Kyle Rayner. If they hadn't royally fucked up Parallax in the first movie, that would be easy to do...

So maybe Flash and Wonder Woman for 2014, Superman 2 and Aquaman for 2015. Green Lantern 2 and JLA for 2016. Batman doesn't need another solo film. Martian Manhunter doesn't either since he could be explained within the JLA movie. That's the "Big 7" that are practically guaranteed to be the cast of JLA. Martian Manhunter may be replaced by Cyborg if DC wants to go the new 52 route, but those have always been the Big 7. Secondary heroes like Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Hawkman, Zatanna, etc would be saved for JLA 2.

RocShemp
08-10-12, 09:45 PM
Gina Carano is an inspired choice combat-wise and in terms of general physicality. She's also quite a looker. I just wonder if she could sell the gravitas of what is essentially an Ambassador (who also happens to kick ass).

Michael Corvin
08-10-12, 10:19 PM
DC needs to get this chick to play Wonder Woman.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.373365336047638.102629.282999755084197&type=1&notif_t=photo_album_reply

Great suit. Looks great with the leather jacket too.

devilshalo
08-10-12, 10:45 PM
ha. I don't think Monica Bellucci could pull it off either.

Well, if you were Ash Ketchum, I would have had to put Megan Fox's name. :p

kgrogers1979
08-10-12, 11:03 PM
Great suit. Looks great with the leather jacket too.

Yeah, its inspired by the JMS era.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7578/wonderwoman601.jpg

Michael Corvin
08-10-12, 11:52 PM
Ahh... nice. They could easily pull that off on film.

Solid Snake
08-11-12, 08:25 AM
Yeah. Seems like JMS' take on characters at times lead to great new costumes. Thor for example got him a badass look. We only got the upper half of the look for the Marvel films...and they gave him crappy pants for some reason. They should've given him the whole damn attire..looks badass for sure.

fumanstan
08-11-12, 08:54 AM
That's funny, all the comic book fans seemed to complain about the costume change (like any change, unsurprisingly).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/575911-dc-comics-give-wonder-woman-makeover.html

kgrogers1979
08-11-12, 09:20 AM
That's funny, all the comic book fans seemed to complain about the costume change (like any change, unsurprisingly).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/575911-dc-comics-give-wonder-woman-makeover.html

The difference is the JMS Wonder Woman was too drastic of a change. It looks nothing like classic Wonder Woman at all. The model in those pics took the jacket and put it on the classic Amazon warrior outfit, so it isn't too drastic of a change.

And saying comic fans always hate change is misconception. They hate bad change which unfortunately happens more than good change. Changing Wonder Woman so that she looks nothing like the classic Amazon warrior was bad change. Changing Dick Grayson from Robin to Nightwing was good change that everyone loved. There are also all the legacy characters like Wally West and Kyle Rayner that everyone loves. So fans don't always hate change.

stingermck
08-11-12, 09:39 AM
And that costume didnt last long, and was replaced in the 52 with black boots/bottom

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/files/2011/08/JUSTL_Cv3_sakdjfhkalsjdf9s8a7d09f8723049587jk23l0asd9f8.jpg

kgrogers1979
08-11-12, 09:51 AM
And that costume didnt last long, and was replaced in the 52 with black boots/bottom

Yep. They fixed Wonder Woman, but they gave Superman some Iron Man style armor which is even more retarded than biker chick Wonder Woman. Why the fuck does Superman even need armor. Oh its simply because Iron Man is so popular right now, so lets give Superman the same type of armor even if it makes zero sense...

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4174/54140697.jpg

RocShemp
08-11-12, 10:45 AM
Actually, armor on Supes was long overdue. No armor made sense when he fought mere humans. However, he's fought plenty of guys with equal or greater strength. His fighting them with just his traditional tights is the equivalent of a Marine going into combat wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Maxflier
08-11-12, 11:07 AM
While I agree that the biotech way he gets his armor is retarded as fuck, I disagree about him not needing armor. He doesn't NEED it as far as needing to be protected, but without it he would end up nekkid a lot considering the damage he takes during battles.
And yes I am aware that there was an equally retarded reason why his cloth suit could take damage without being destroyed.

stingermck
08-11-12, 11:30 AM
The short answer about Supermans new suit? Probably done because of the lawsuit. In fact, my conspiracy theory is the entire 52 was done because of it.

fumanstan
08-11-12, 11:46 AM
The difference is the JMS Wonder Woman was too drastic of a change. It looks nothing like classic Wonder Woman at all. The model in those pics took the jacket and put it on the classic Amazon warrior outfit, so it isn't too drastic of a change.

And saying comic fans always hate change is misconception. They hate bad change which unfortunately happens more than good change. Changing Wonder Woman so that she looks nothing like the classic Amazon warrior was bad change. Changing Dick Grayson from Robin to Nightwing was good change that everyone loved. There are also all the legacy characters like Wally West and Kyle Rayner that everyone loves. So fans don't always hate change.

There was a positive comment here for the pics with the jacket though.

It's not a misconception to me. I read and pay enough attention to comics to see the reactions. Seems like "true" comic fans treat all changes as bad. It just takes some time before they stop whining and realize its often good.

Solid Snake
08-11-12, 12:13 PM
The short answer about Supermans new suit? Probably done because of the lawsuit. In fact, my conspiracy theory is the entire 52 was done because of it.

What lawsuit?

stingermck
08-11-12, 12:41 PM
What lawsuit?

For those not aware, DC is currently locked in a contentious lawsuit with the heirs of Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Should the families win the suit, certain portions of the Superman mythos could revert to their ownership. In a worst case scenario, this could mean that the Superman franchise would be broken up, with two distinct and incomplete versions of the character existing at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#Copyright_issues

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/04/14/new-issues-arise-in-superman-lawsuit/

Solid Snake
08-11-12, 03:39 PM
Oh ok. That one. I thought that was done. It's still going on?

kgrogers1979
08-13-12, 01:11 PM
Actually, armor on Supes was long overdue. No armor made sense when he fought mere humans. However, he's fought plenty of guys with equal or greater strength. His fighting them with just his traditional tights is the equivalent of a Marine going into combat wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Well really if an enemy like Doomsday or Darkseid or Mongul is strong enough to hurt Superman, then armor isn't going to do much. If they can hurt Superman, they can tear through armor with ease. Superman wearing armor for protection is like children hiding under their desk to protect themselves against a nuclear attack.

While I agree that the biotech way he gets his armor is retarded as fuck, I disagree about him not needing armor. He doesn't NEED it as far as needing to be protected, but without it he would end up nekkid a lot considering the damage he takes during battles.
And yes I am aware that there was an equally retarded reason why his cloth suit could take damage without being destroyed.

Costumes being shredded to pieces is something you just have to take for granted. It also makes no sense how Bruce Banner's pants aren't shredded to pieces when his mass increases ten times to Hulk size. (Or maybe they are implying that Hulk has a tiny little Banner size penis which is why he is always so angry...)

Nah, the new 52 was done as a gimmick to increases sales and nothing more. The industry has been relying on such gimmicks for the better part of two decades now. If the new 52 was because of the Superman lawsuit, then they would have rebooted Superman alone with no need to mess with anything else.

There was a positive comment here for the pics with the jacket though.

It's not a misconception to me. I read and pay enough attention to comics to see the reactions. Seems like "true" comic fans treat all changes as bad. It just takes some time before they stop whining and realize its often good.

Really more than anything else its just people on the internet that like to bitch and moan about everything. You don't see nearly that much bitching in real life. Comic fans on the internet always talk about how events suck and they are fed up with constant event after event after event. Yet the new Avengers vs X-Men event is the current number one selling comic. In fact, its the first time Marvel has even been in the top ten since the new 52 launched last September. Regardless of all the internet bitching, the vast majority of comic readers like events well enough to keep buying them. Events always sell extremely well and that's why DC and Marvel rely on them so much in recent years.

So really the idea of comic fans always hating change is really just internet nerds bitching and moaning about everything. Dick Grayson has always been much more popular as Nightwing than Robin. Tim Drake has always been the most popular Robin. Legacy heroes like Wally West and Kyle Rayner are well loved. If comics fans truly hated change, then none of that would be true.

Ash Ketchum
08-13-12, 01:32 PM
Well, if you were Ash Ketchum, I would have had to put Megan Fox's name. :p

Now we're talkin'!

(I knew there was a reason I popped into this thread. :D)

The Valeyard
08-13-12, 02:33 PM
Oh ok. That one. I thought that was done. It's still going on?

Yes. Blame Marc Toberoff. He's the "mastermind" behind the whole thing. He's pushing the heirs to sue and if they win, he gets controlling interest of the character. Him. Not the heirs.

There's a great blog (http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com) that's keeping track of this and many other comic industry lawsuits.

fumanstan
08-13-12, 04:36 PM
So really the idea of comic fans always hating change is really just internet nerds bitching and moaning about everything. Dick Grayson has always been much more popular as Nightwing than Robin. Tim Drake has always been the most popular Robin. Legacy heroes like Wally West and Kyle Rayner are well loved. If comics fans truly hated change, then none of that would be true.

Like I said, hate all change at first until they stop whining enough to realize it might be good.

fujishig
08-13-12, 05:06 PM
Like I said, hate all change at first until they stop whining enough to realize it might be good.

On that Wonder Woman costume change... JMS taking her, removing her iconic costume, and removing her from the DC Universe at large was a recipe for disaster. He also drove Superman into the ground at the same time (ironically titling his run "Grounded"). Then he didn't even stick around to finish either storyline, forcing the writers who took over from him to work off of his notes (IIRC, he cut his Thor storyline short too).

On the bright side, it made the new 52 sales look so much better when compared to the dumpster he left the two properties in.

Michael Corvin
08-13-12, 09:01 PM

:lol: I don't think there was a single positive post in there.

http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/files/2011/08/JUSTL_Cv3_sakdjfhkalsjdf9s8a7d09f8723049587jk23l0asd9f8.jpg

That looks cool but like the classic costume, just a corset and panties isn't going to work in film. Comics can get away with any skimpy outfit, but in a movie setting it's impractical and silly looking.

Just my two cents.

antspawn
08-14-12, 08:50 PM
Yep. They fixed Wonder Woman, but they gave Superman some Iron Man style armor which is even more retarded than biker chick Wonder Woman. Why the fuck does Superman even need armor. Oh its simply because Iron Man is so popular right now, so lets give Superman the same type of armor even if it makes zero sense...

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4174/54140697.jpg

I must admit I really like the concept. :thumbsup:

Does he get naked then he turns on the armor? Or does the armor eats up the clothes then he changes to full costume?

Giantrobo
08-14-12, 11:04 PM
Yeah I like it too.

Even as a kid, I always felt that wearing a full costume under a suit was STUPID. It made no sense. It would be bulky and hot. WTF?

Michael Corvin
08-15-12, 06:50 AM
Yeah I like it too.

Even as a kid, I always felt that wearing a full costume under a suit was STUPID. It made no sense. It would be bulky and hot. WTF?

And where does he tuck that full length cape?

RocShemp
08-15-12, 06:53 AM
Agreed. The new armor and the way he puts it on makes perfect sense. It kind of reminds me of the Guyver.

:lol: I don't think there was a single positive post in there.

Ever the contrarian, Dragon Tattoo made a positive response (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/10246289-post28.html) on page 2 of that thread. I have to agree with him. I actually liked that redesign.

Great, I just agreed with Dragon Tattoo. :sad:

Solid Snake
08-26-12, 05:39 PM
The Wachowski's maybe for JL?

Warner Bros has a smallish list of directors they’re talking to about “Justice League”, the long-proposed superhero team-up movie (including new comic-book bed-buddies Superman and Wonder Woman! Can you believe that!? Way to sell a comic book to a woman though, DC!) that they’ve been planning since… well, George Miller couldn’t get it going.

Ben Affleck’s name is on that list, we know that. And we also know that Affleck’s not every keen on doing the picture – sadly, he would’ve donated much gravitas to it. But Ben’s too busy doing his own thing right now, putting together the kind of unique, original dramas that win filmmaker’s Oscars.

That means one of the other names on the list will likely get the gig. Haven’t seen the list, nor do I know all the names on it, but I’ve heard whisperings of two other names on the wish-list.
As most know, I’m now a partner in a global PR firm that specializes in event management and digital marketing of talent in-front-of and behind the camera. This bit of news came courtesy someone we’ve been working with – someone who would likely have a better chance at getting a glass to a door at WB than most of us. So here goes…

Lana and Andy Wachowski.

What I’m told is Warner Bros are apparently jazzed with “Cloud Atlas”, and love that it’s as much a spectacle as it is a showcase for the immense ensemble involved, so it makes sense the W’s are under consideration. “Justice League” needs to be as big on character, as it does bells & whistles, and the Wachowski’s could probably offer that.

The directing duo have also gave the studio one of their most successful film trilogies of all time, “The Matrix” trio (I won’t mention “Speed Racer”).

Quite a few reasons why WB would consider the directing duo a viable option for “Justice League”, but would Lana and Andy even consider it? Hard to say. They definitely like to work at their own speed, and definitely like to do their ‘own’ thing as opposed to being merely one ‘cog’ in a venture, so I can’t see them jumping through hoops to pull the strings on a ‘we want it done now’ large corporate statement like this. Still, exciting possibility nonetheless.

The Wachowski’s have considered comic book films before (and they’ve done one of their better graphic novel cum film adaptations in “V for Vendetta”). They toyed with a “Plastic Man” movie for a while there, and it’s rumoured they were in the running to do “Man of Steel” – or an incarnation of a ‘Superman’ reboot’ – before the studio went with Zack Snyder. So the twosome definitely do shy away from men-in-tights movies.

(It’d also mean Hugo Weaving would be an easy score for one of the villains. Hmm.. wonder what he’d look like bald!?)

… though, personally, my vote is still with Ruben Fleischer.
“Justice League” is being written by “Gangster Squad” scribe Will Beale.

Mike86
08-26-12, 06:02 PM
Ugh.. the Wachowski's would have to be on the bottom of my list for people I'd want directing this. They had pretty much one hit with The Matrix (sequels were meh) and mostly crap since.

Solid Snake
08-26-12, 06:51 PM
We already knew this but cuz some Canadian press didn't and they asked him about it. So now we have a confirmation from him instead of his people.

Affleck:

I'm not working on the Justice League. One of the problems with entertainment web sites is that they need to fill pages, and that's how rumours get started. Justice League sounds really exciting, but it's not something I'm working on.

antspawn
08-26-12, 06:55 PM
Ugh.. the Wachowski's would have to be on the bottom of my list for people I'd want directing this. They had pretty much one hit with The Matrix (sequels were meh) and mostly crap since.

Exactly. They should stick to what brought them fame. They need to make another Matrix sequel. Stick with that.

As far as Justice League Nolan and Snyder should team up.

Deftones
08-26-12, 07:24 PM
No no no no no no no no to the Wachowskis. No no no no no no no no

Michael Corvin
08-26-12, 11:28 PM
I'm one of the few that likes the whole Matrix trilogy, but I can see how they are perceived as having a single hit(i.e. the first Matrix movie).

In the glass is half-full corner, they nailed flying with Neo and could do wonders for Superman in that regard.

resinrats
08-26-12, 11:33 PM
So was their pitch to the studio that in the Matrix, Neo flew like Superman. It was even stated by a character. So using that logic, they should direct Superman. As a joke, they'll have Jimmy Olson say Superman is flying like Neo.

Solid Snake
08-27-12, 07:42 AM
Talking about Jimmy Olsen...is he in Man of Steel?

kgrogers1979
08-27-12, 01:02 PM
Talking about Jimmy Olsen...is he in Man of Steel?

Looking on imdb, he isn't listed. So either he just hasn't been cast yet or he isn't in it period. It would be odd if he isn't in it.

Something I am wondering about is if Lois and Clark will be romantically involved in the movie reboot considering they are no longer together in the comic reboot. The new Justice League issue shows Superman and Wonder Woman together, and I wonder if that will carry over to the movie especially with the Justice League movie franchise coming.

cleaver
08-27-12, 01:43 PM
What's wrong with the Wachowskis? They made a sweet Speed Racer movie and that was thought to be impossible.

Solid Snake
08-27-12, 01:47 PM
I think we saw them in an embrace in the Comic Con trailer. I can't remember anymore.

I've personally have never like Jimmy Olsen. The only time I liked him was in Superman: TAS. Beyond that...a character w/ no use in the TV and Film format.

Trevor
08-27-12, 03:29 PM
What's wrong with the Wachowskis? They made a sweet Speed Racer movie and that was thought to be impossible.
That film is really underrated.

Mike86
08-27-12, 04:56 PM
I think we saw them in an embrace in the Comic Con trailer. I can't remember anymore.

I've personally have never like Jimmy Olsen. The only time I liked him was in Superman: TAS. Beyond that...a character w/ no use in the TV and Film format.
Jimmy is a fairly large part of the Superman universe, it'd seem sort of odd to leave him out. He's one of those characters that isn't always written properly but when he's done right he can be decent.

Lastdaysofrain
08-28-12, 07:17 AM
That film is really underrated.

I agree, I think they managed to really make something interesting with that movie, which is probably what kept it from appealing to everyone. It was too adult for kids and too "kiddie" for adults.

I actually enjoyed their V for Vedetta (which was a whole lot better than Watchmen) so I think they can do a comic book movie well. They also started as comic writers, I think they would be a good choice for a Justice League movie.

RocShemp
08-28-12, 07:23 AM
Count me as another who loves Speed Racer. :up:

stingermck
08-28-12, 08:24 AM

Same here :up:

Obi-Wan Jabroni
08-28-12, 09:16 AM
The problem with Speed Racer is that there aren't enough fans of the series to support a major motion picture, and to the uninitiated, it just looked silly.

Giantrobo
08-28-12, 03:38 PM

:up: