Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PRINCE AVALANCHE (2012?) (dir. David Gordon Green) (Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slashfilm.com
Sneaky, sneaky. While we’ve been wondering when David Gordon Green might return to the indie fare that earned him so much acclaim in his early days, it turns out Green himself has already done so in secret. Green, along with stars Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch, has just wrapped the low-budget road trip comedy Prince Avalanche, an Austin, TX-set remake of the Icelandic film Either Way (A annan veg). More details after the jump.

Variety reports that Green wrote and directed the adaptation, which has been kept under wraps. The 2011 Icelandic original unfolds in the 1980s and centers around two highway maintenance men who spend the summer painting road lines in the barren wilderness. While Either Way doesn’t shy away from raunchy, grown-up humor (as you can see in the trailer below), it actually seems more along the lines of Green’s smaller-scope, more character-driven early work like All the Real Girls than his recent studio comedies like The Sitter.

Details on Green’s version of the film are sparse, but Green’s already proven his abilities with this type of film in the past, and Rudd and Hirsch reliable talents as well. Green’s currently working on getting the pieces together for his remake of Dario Argento’s Suspiria, which will go in front of cameras this fall. Additionally, he’s on board to adapt and helm the literary adaptation Q at some point, and is set to produce a few upcoming projects including Danny McBride’s Bullies.

Rudd’s in the middle of a very busy year — he has The Perks of Being a Wallflower and This is 40 scheduled to open later this year, and just finished shooting Phil Morrison’s Lucky Dog. Among his other upcoming projects are Paul Weitz’s Admission, Errol Morris’ Freezing People is Easy, and Adam McKay’s Anchorman 2. Hirsch, who’ll be seen later this summer in Oliver Stone’s Savages and William Friedkin’s Killer Joe, was recently cast in the Nick Hornby adaptation A Long Way Down.
Old 02-07-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: PRINCE AVALANCHE (2012?) (dir. David Gordon Green) (Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch)

Old 02-08-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: PRINCE AVALANCHE (2012?) (dir. David Gordon Green) (Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch)

I don't know about this film, but Freezing People is Easy sounds really interesting. Thanks for inadvertently bringing that to my attention.
Old 02-08-13, 09:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

was this supposed to get released in 2012? because I'm noting it's having some sort of premier at this month's Berlin Film Festival.
Old 02-09-13, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to it.
Old 04-26-13, 11:37 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KPwXvHjoRp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-26-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Looks like a less whimsical Wes Anderson film.
Old 04-28-13, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the poster and I like Paul Rudd. Otherwise...I'm iffy on this. Hirsch's character may annoy me a bit too much for my taste.
Old 04-28-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rudd -
Hirsch -
David Gordon Green - Nooooooooooo
Old 04-28-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Hopefully this is the start of Hirsch getting better work. He was doing well in 2008 and then started to sputter. He was relegated to pretty much nothing in Savages.
Old 06-24-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

new trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ewpjHDZzT7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-24-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Hopefully this is the start of Hirsch getting better work. He was doing well in 2008 and then started to sputter. He was relegated to pretty much nothing in Savages.
To his credit, Savages was a pretty big deal in Hollywood apparently, one of those golden projects everybody apparently wanted on.

Nobody read "He has wargasms" and said "Yeah this is stupid."
Old 06-26-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Rudd -
Hirsch -
David Gordon Green - Nooooooooooo
I saw this last week at the Provincetown International Film Festival ..... hesitated because the early Green films bored me beyond belief, but then I thought about UNDERTOW which I liked ..... so I decided to give this a go.
Big mistake. It's basically a two-hander, with two other minor characters with just a few minutes screen time each and one quick scene near the end with some extras. There are a few good moments, Hirsch and Rudd are fine, but overall it's a slog.
Old 08-24-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is available on VOD, Amazon and iTunes for $6.99 (Rental)