Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

SD BBC Natural History Collection or Planet Earth/Life boxsets $29.99 ea. @ Amazon

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

SD BBC Natural History Collection or Planet Earth/Life boxsets $29.99 ea. @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deal is now DEAD!

The Standard Definition boxsets are still available at Amazon for $29.99 each.
The 18 disc set BBC Natural History Collection (Planet Earth SE/ Blue Planet SE/ Life of Mammals/ Life of Birds) originally retailed for $179.98
The 10 disc set Planet Earth SE/Life originally retailed for $99.98
They're closing out this title as is Best Buy. Not likely to be available for too much longer as these prices have been set for about 36 hours. My non-prime order shipped today.

Last edited by Mosskeeto; 06-08-12 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 05:44 PM

Re: SD BBC Natural History Collection or Planet Earth/Life boxsets $29.99 ea. @ Amazo

Thanks ... I ordered a couple of sets
Old 06-06-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: SD BBC Natural History Collection or Planet Earth/Life boxsets $29.99 ea. @ Amazo

Are these the individual sets in one box or special packaging? I have some of these already and would like to trade in/sell the ones I already have. I'll get more if the sets are sealed.
Old 06-07-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From recent comments I learned that Amazon didn't intend to put the Blu-Ray sets on sale which is why they canceled lots of people's orders (mainly those who didn't have Prime). So it makes sense that the SD versions would still be available for this price since that was apparently the original intention. It makes sense they are trying to get rid of SD sets since they are in SD.

Having watched 1 of these episodes on SD DVD vs. the rest on Blu-Ray, it's seriously an insult to the beautiful photography not to watch these in HD. So, I'd say skip any BBC nature SD sets and save the $29.99 towards the next deal on the Blu-Ray sets (which hopefully won't end up being canceled by Amazon) unless you just can't wait to see these episodes.
Old 06-07-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
So, I'd say skip any BBC nature SD sets and save the $29.99 towards the next deal on the Blu-Ray sets (which hopefully won't end up being canceled by Amazon) unless you just can't wait to see these episodes.
Sounds good in theory but some of the sets aren't available in HD...Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, Blue Planet etc.
Old 06-07-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Are these the individual sets in one box or special packaging? I have some of these already and would like to trade in/sell the ones I already have. I'll get more if the sets are sealed.
Received my order this morning and without breaking the shrink wrap, here's what I call tell you from viewing the titles on the open side. This BBC Natural History set is in a 3.70 inch wide case and each series is in its original packaged format with these exceptions:
No individual shrink wraps
None in their original outer slipcases
I already had Blue Planet and Planet Earth so I can compare those two specifically.

Regarding the "price mistake" issue. I'm not sure what happened but I'm inclined to believe it was more an inventory issue at least in many cases. My Blu-ray set of Planet Earth/Life ($29.99) arrived today with the Nat'l Hist set. Back goes my unopened ($19.98) Best Buy 4 disc BR set of PE.
Old 06-07-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds good in theory but some of the sets aren't available in HD...Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, Blue Planet etc.
True...and I have a feeling they'll probably never upgrade these to Blu-ray since they probably didn't use hi-def cameras back then (even Planet Earth BR is 1080i).
Old 06-07-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Received my order this morning and without breaking the shrink wrap, here's what I call tell you from viewing the titles on the open side. This BBC Natural History set is in a 3.70 inch wide case and each series is in its original packaged format with these exceptions:
No individual shrink wraps
None in their original outer slipcases
I already had Blue Planet and Planet Earth so I can compare those two specifically.

Regarding the "price mistake" issue. I'm not sure what happened but I'm inclined to believe it was more an inventory issue at least in many cases. My Blu-ray set of Planet Earth/Life ($29.99) arrived today with the Nat'l Hist set. Back goes my unopened ($19.98) Best Buy 4 disc BR set of PE.
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered and will probably sell or giveaway the extras I have.
Old 06-08-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, in those cases there's no choice, but it seems to me that the BBC Natural History Collections 1 and 2 on BD are the way to go for the rest. I'm surprised that the BBC hasn't released the ones you mentioned on HD given the success of their other HD sets. I've never seen the Life of... series. I'm sure they're good, but as I don't know what I'm missing I'm still going to hold out for them on BD.
Old 06-08-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deal is now DEAD.
Current prices from Amazon are:
BBC NHC $109.99
PE/Life $64.96
Congrats to all who were able to place an order.